- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

As the elevator doors closed, Jim looked down at Pam. He felt his face start to turn red, so he quickly looked away.

He felt weird being around Pam now. When he was in the break room telling her he had once had a crush on her he felt like he was going to throw up. It was worse than middle school, when he passed a note to Rachel Conner asking if she liked him, 'check yes or no'. It was definitely more nerve wracking than anything he'd been through before.

He remembered the look on her face, and hoping like hell she didn't realize that “once had” meant “still do and always will.”

'Damn Michael.' He thought. 'I hope it's not going to be this awkward from now on.' He sighed, looking at the numbers above the doors as they lit up. His stomach sank as he saw the number 3 light up...and then felt the elevator stop.

He looked over at Pam. She looked up at him. “What was that?” She asked wide eyed. “Did the elevator just stop?”

Jim waited a minute. “Yes...yes, I think it did.” He gave her a look as if to say 'What the heck?!” and shuffled his feet. “Well, this sucks... Maybe it will start up again in a minute...”

They stood still for about two minutes before Pam spoke. “I don't think it's going to start up again.” She reached over and pressed the number one button frantically. “What are we going to do? There's no phone thingy, and even if there were, there's no one here! Everyone's left for the day, even the security guard!”

Jim scrunched up his face in thought before reaching into his messenger bag. “Thank you technology! We have cell phones!” He smiled, pressing keys on the phone. His smile faded. “Boo, technology, we have no signal.” He said as his voice fell.

Pam groaned, exasperated. “Let me try mine.” She took her phone out of her purse and fiddled with it for at least three minutes, her lips pursed.

Jim furrowed his brow. “I'm guessing no luck, huh?”

Pam looked up, looking almost as stern as Angela. “No.” She sighed loudly and sank down, sitting on the floor. “What are we going to do?! We can't sit here until tomorrow morning! We don't even have anything to drink, we'll start to dehydrate!”

“You sound almost as bad as Dwight.” Jim smirked, looking down at her. She looked pathetic, he thought, but cute. Very cute, sitting there looking like a desperate kid. He sat down next to her and pulled a bottle out of his bag. “Luckily, I stole some of Dwight's water he brings from home today.” His grin widened, handing it to her. His stomach fluttered as her lips curved into a small grin.

“Thanks.” She unscrewed the cap and took a small sip. She replaced the cap and licked her lips, looking over at him. “And don't ever tell me I sound like Dwight again, Halpert.”
.............................

Twenty minutes later they had made a sort of picnic on the elevator floor using their jackets, two large bottles of Dwight's water, some Winterfresh gum from Pam's purse, and a bag of Doritos from Jim's bag.

“See, the chips are dinner,” Jim said, reaching his hand in the bag for another chip. “And the gum is dessert. I have to say, I've never had such a exotic meal.”

Pam smiled. “You have nacho cheese on your cheek.” She pointed. “Right there. Stop eating like a pig.”

“Look in a mirror, Beesly, so do you.” He pointed to her shirt. “Hope that isn't expensive.”

She looked down, and he promptly tapped her on the chin. “Made you look.” He grinned from ear to ear.

She tilted her heading, pretending to be mad, and pressed her thumb against his cheek to wipe off the powder. “That was driving me nuts!”

Jim's smile faded. He cleared his throat and handed Pam the bag. “You can have the rest.” He tried to ignore the tingly feeling in his cheek.

“Thanks. I'll save them for later.” She put them in her purse.

“Don't say later! I'm still hoping someone will find us.” Jim said, standing up and leaning against the wall.

“I doubt it.” She sighed. “I'm already bored.”

“Forget boredom, what happens when we have to go to the bathroom?” He laughed.

She couldn't help from giggling, while at the same time her face twisted into a look of disgust. “Ew! Oh my God, I don't want to think of that...”

He watched as she giggled, covering her mouth, her eyes lit up. She looked like she was glowing from the inside, even in the crappy elevator light. 'At least I get to spend the night with Pam. Maybe this night won't be so bad after all.' He thought to himself.
........................

Pam cleared her throat, still grinning. 'How is it that such a stupid comment can make me laugh so hard?' She thought. 'Must be the lack of air in here.'

She looked up at Jim. He was already so tall, but with her sitting down he looked like a giant. A friendly, cute giant, though. She thought he would be perfect as a big stuffed teddy bear to cuddle with.

'Yes, definite lack of air in here. Jim is not a teddy bear, he is a guy.' She thought. When he told her about his crush on her earlier today she didn't know what to say. She felt flattered, at first. Not many guys had ever paid attention to her throughout her life. Roy was the first guy to ever tell her she was beautiful. When she thought about how much more shy and timid she was three years ago when Jim had his crush she couldn't believe he would like her. And for a guy like Jim to like her, well, she felt special.

Then she started to feel weird. Jim was her best friend, she never thought of him as anything else. Sure, he was cute...and he had a nice smile. Sometimes, even if her day was boring as heck and it seemed as if it would never end, Jim's smile always made her feel better. Especially when he smiled at her. But she never thought of him in a romantic sense. She was committed, and he wasn't an option. Working with him might be awkward, knowing what she did.

But that was three years ago. He had made it perfectly clear he didn't feel that way anymore. And why should she want him to? She was happy with Roy. Well, most of the time anyway.

“We should play a game...” He started. “But I have no idea what.”

“I know!” Pam exclaimed. “Sit down, with your back to me.”

Jim held out a hand. “Now, wait a minute, I'm not becoming your bitch just yet... You have to earn your place in this elevator.” He smiled down at her.

She rolled her eyes. “Get down here.”

He sank down to the floor in front of her. “Pam?”

“Yes Jim?”

“I'm scared.” He laughed.

“Shut up! Okay, now what is this letter?” She traced the letter “k” on his back.

She felt his body tense up under her finger. She giggled. “It tickles, huh?”

He didn't answer for a minute. “Uh... ahem, yeah. It does.”

“Soooo?! What letter is it?” She asked impatiently.

“Um... Q?” He guessed.

She rolled her eyes. “Noooo... try again.” She traced the letter again. She couldn't help notice how broad his shoulders were.

“Is it H?” He guessed again.

She groaned. “No! Geez, let's try again...”

Five minutes later she was cracking up. “Wow, you totally suck at this game. There's only two letters left in the alphabet, Jim! I think you can get this now...” She traced the letter one last time.

“O?” He said, trying to hide his laughter.

She almost screamed laughing. “You are a jackass! It was K, for crying out loud!”

He laid back, with his head almost in her lap. “I knew it all along, Beesly.”

She smiled down at him, and felt her stomach quiver. She felt amazed at how cute he looked. His bright, green eyes were shining along with his teeth as he smiled up at her. She had the sudden urge to reach down and stroke his chin... with her hand ending up tangled in his thick, tousled hair. She tapped him on his forehead with one finger. “Sure you did.”

She saw his smile fade. He sat back up and turned around. “Alright, you next. Turn it on around.” He said, moving his hand in a circle motion.

At that moment they both heard a sound coming from downstairs.

“Wait,” Pam said. “What's that?” They sat still, trying to hear.

“I think it's Michael.” Jim whispered.

They listened closely, hearing Michael whistle what could only be deciphered as “Mambo # 5”.

Jim shook his head. “Get a new favorite song already, Michael.”

“Shhh!” Pam held up a hand. “Michael!” She yelled out. “The elevator's broken down! Call a repairman!”

They listened for a reply. “Pam? What are you still doing here? Where are you?” They heard Michael call out.

They rolled their eyes at each other.

“Michael, it's us. Jim and Pam. We're stuck in the elevator. It broke down. Call a repairman to come fix it!” Jim yelled out.

“Okay! Hang tight, comrades! I'll have you out in a jiff!” They heard him run off.

“Do you think he'll be back?” Jim laughed as he looked over at Pam.

She laughed along with him. “I have no idea... He might be scared and think we're already dead, and that he's talking to our ghosts.” She said before they collapsed in a fit of giggles.

They laid down on their jackets, staring up at the ceiling. Pam felt Jim's arm against hers, but didn't move away. She felt like a teenager, having a slumber party. Only it wasn't with one of her old girlfriends, it was her with her best friend. Who happened to be a guy. She looked over at him and was surprised to see him looking at her. She stared into his eyes as he stuck his tongue out at her. She giggled. She couldn't believe she was having so much fun tonight.

“So, Beesly... What's your biggest dream?”
......................

He regretted it the minute he said it. He was caught up in the moment. They were having so much fun. Fun, stuck in an elevator. That was hard to believe. She was so close to him, he felt like he could ask her anything. He looked at her face, which just a second ago had been bright and happy, and now looked clouded over with sadness. 'Nice one, Halpert. Her dreams are off limits, you should know that.' He thought angrily to himself.

“I mean, you know. Weirdest dream, like, you've had...while sleeping.” He backtracked.

Her smile returned. She laughed. “Wow, yeah. That was an unnecessary definition.”

“Well...” He shrugged and grinned.

“Um.... I guess one of them would have to be when I had a dream that I had Michael's job...” She started to blush. “I can't believe I would dream of something like that.”

He cracked up. “I could just see you making us all go on camaraderie events and making inappropriate jokes.”

She groaned. “No way! I would be a nice boss. But I wouldn't want to work here, that's for sure.” She sat up. “My head is killing me laying on this thing.” She took her hair clip out, running her fingers through her thick tresses. She looked down at Jim. “Does it look all messy?”

Jim felt his throat go dry and his heart pound. 'God, she looks so beautiful.' He thought to himself. 'Say something nice...'

“It looks....really pretty.” He said so quietly he was almost whispering.

She blushed, turning away. “Roy says I look better with more of my face showing, but I've always liked it down. Less constricting.” She giggled, laying back down. She looked over at Jim. “So, what is your weirdest dream?”

Suddenly, he felt as if he was inside one of his dreams. Laying next to Pam, her body heat radiating off his. She smelled...sweet, was the only way he could think to describe it. He had never been this close to her. Close enough to see the specks of green in her eyes, how long her eyelashes were, the way her lips pouted a bit as she waited for him to answer. It was surreal, being alone with her, in this small space. He could tell her anything and no one would come in and interrupt...

Earlier he thought nothing could be harder than telling Pam he had once had a crush on her. Now he thought there was nothing harder than telling her he still did. That it was more than just an office crush, that she was all he thought about. That she was the only reason he stayed at this crap job, put up with Dwight, endured Michael's jokes, made endless phone calls selling...paper, for crying out loud. He came to this horrible place every day just to see her. To see her smile, hear her laugh, and maybe, just maybe, be able to touch her somehow. Hold her hand, brush her sweater accidentally. He lived for her.

He felt like his heart was going to pound out of his chest as he opened his mouth and said. “I dreamt once that I kissed you.”
..........................

Pam's heart stopped cold. She felt frozen in place. She stared into Jim's eyes, searching for the next laugh, the next smile, anything to show her he was only joking. All she saw was him holding his breath.

She cleared her throat. “Really? Wow. That's...weird... I wonder when Michael is coming back...” She sat up, stretching her legs in front of her. She felt him sit up beside her.

“Yeah... It was weird. But, nice, you know?” His voice was shaking.

She turned towards the door, facing away from him. 'Why would he tell me that?' She thought to herself. 'As if the crush thing wasn't going to make things awkward enough...'

“Pam.” She could still see his reflection in the elevator doors. She turned around. His eyes were watering, and he was biting his bottom lip.

“Yeah?” She choked out.

He swallowed, looking down at his lap for what seemed like hours before Pam opened her mouth and she spoke. “Jim, are you in love with me?”

He looked up quickly, his eyes wide. He looked shocked. “What?”

She felt her heart racing. “I don't believe you when you say that you don't have a crush on me anymore. I mean, you always come over to my desk... You just...seem to like me a lot. I... I don't know. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked that. It's crazy.” She stood up, trying to hide her tears.

He got up and lightly touched her arm to turn her around. “No, it's not... Pam. I... I am.” He pulled her closer to him.

She stared down at the floor. She felt like once she looked up, that would be it. Jim wouldn't be her best friend anymore, and everything would change. She wasn't used to change. She liked things to stay the same, she liked consistency. It kept her sane. But it also made her crazy.

“Pam, please. You don't have to say anything. Just look at me.” Jim pleaded.

'But that's it, Jim.' She thought. 'Once I do, that's saying a lot. It's going to change everything.' Her hands were shaking as she reached out and grabbed his hands. “You're hands are cold.” She said, still looking down.

“Well, I'm kinda freaking out. See, I just told my best friend in the world that I love her and she won't look at me. So, yeah, they're cold.” She felt him rub his thumbs over the backs of her hands. It felt like her was trying to sooth her pounding pulse.

“I'm your best friend?” She said quietly.

“BFFs forever.” He choked out.

She breathed out slowly as she lifted her head and her eyes met Jim's. “Hi.” She smiled.

He exhaled. “Hey.” He replied. “Pam, I-”

He didn't finished his sentence as Pam stood up on her tip toes and pressed her lips against his. She let go of his hands to wrap her arms around his neck and pull him closer to her. She felt his hands at her waist, pulling her into him. She kissed him harder, tangling her fingers in his soft hair.

'He does feel like a big cuddly teddy bear.' She thought to herself. The thought made her giggle right into Jim's mouth. She pulled away and looked up at him, embarrassed.

He just smiled. “Am I that bad of a kisser?” He pushed a strand of hair behind her ear.

She shook her head. “No, just silly thoughts.” She looked into his eyes. 'This is it.' She thought, taking a deep breath. “I love you, too.”

“Well, that's not silly at all..” She saw the tears in his eyes pour over his cheeks. She smiled and kissed one away. Then she brought her lips back to his.

They didn't feel the elevator start to move. As the doors opened on the first floor, they kept kissing each other as Michael and the elevator repairman stood watching.
.........................

They quickly pulled away at the sound of Michael wooing.

“What do we have here?” Michael said laughing. “Well, well, well. I was so worried, but I guess we could have left you in there a bit longer, eh?” He elbowed the repairman in the ribs. “Too bad I had to come back for my cell phone and found you too. Maybe ya would have gotten to second base, aye Jim?!” He walked into the elevator, pushed between Jim and Pam and pulled Jim in for a hug.

Jim felt Michael's breath on his ear as he whispered. “You're welcome, buddy!” He slapped him on the back a couple times before pulling away. He turned towards Pam.

“And Pamela! You little minx, you! I never thought Roy was good enough for your hot tail anyway! C'mere, girl!” He pulled her in for a hug.

Jim smiled as Pam mouthed 'Help me!' to him with a pleading look. “Hey, Michael, man. Thanks for getting us out of here.” He picked up their coats. “We need to be heading home, now.”

“Yeah ya do!” He slapped Pam on the back as well, and she had to stop herself from tripping forwards.

Jim tilted his head. “Um, yeah, separate homes, Michael. We'll see you Monday, alright?” He placed a hand on Pam's back to guide her away.

“Yeah, thanks, Michael. See you Monday.” Pam called without looking back.

“Maybe! Don't elope over the weekend you two!” Michael cackled. He looked over at the repairman. “I got those two crazy kids together, ya know.”

The repairman just shook his head and picked up his toolbox.

Outside, Pam and Jim stood between their cars. Jim searched Pam's face to see if she was going to pretend what had just happened hadn't happened.

“So...” She said.

“Yeah.” He replied.

“Thank goodness for Michael's big mouth, huh?” She grinned up at him. The grin that made his day. His life. The grin that made him breath out in relief, and pull her towards him.

“Yeah, I love his mouth.” He said before stifling her laugh with a kiss.


katrina87 is the author of 14 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 10 members. Members who liked In A Jam also liked 2359 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans