- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is my first fanfic EVER so any feedback or critiques are most welcome. Enjoy.
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.



Phyllis was, without a doubt, the kindest and most thoughtful person who worked at Dunder-Mifflin. She prided herself (however modestly) on making other people happy. She took pleasure in giving little gifts to people at random - a penguin statue for Jim because he mentioned he liked the goofy little animal, a small watercolor set for Pam to cheer her up after she broke off the wedding with Roy, the latest edition of Star magazine for Kelly so she could catch up on her celebrity gossip. That was Phyllis and it was one of the reasons why Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration fell so head-over-heels in love with her.

***

Phyllis was sensitive. She cried buckets when Michael so cruelly made fun of the oven mitt she had spent weeks knitting for him. She cringed each time Angela made a snide remark about an idea she came up with on the party planning committee. And her heart broke when she found out that Jim was transferring to Stamford. But she wasn’t sad for herself (though she knew she’d miss seeing Jim’s smiling face), she was sad for Pam.

***

Phyllis was observant. She had watched Jim pine for Pam for over three years. She secretly rooted him on, hoping that one day Pam would finally realize she and Roy weren’t right for each other and she would end up with Jim. It wasn’t that Phyllis didn’t like Roy (in fact, the only person on the face of the earth who held that distinction was Angela), it was just that she didn’t think Pam was good enough for him. Roy was… clueless. He was insensitive and brutish and he never encouraged Pam to pursue any of her passions – not art, not a better job, not anything better than what she had! So Phyllis rejoiced a little when Pam came to her a week before she was supposed to marry Roy and told her that the wedding was off. Of course, Phyllis didn’t show her relief and did her best to comfort the sad and confused Pam. But the first thing she did when she got back to her desk was email Jim a simple note that read:

I thought you would want to know that Pam called off the wedding. Hope all is well with you.
Best,
Phyllis

***

Phyllis was excited! Jim was coming back to Scranton. As soon as Jan had announced that the Stamford and Scranton branches were merging, she emailed Jim to find out if he was coming back. She didn’t receive a reply until much later in the day, just before closing time. The message simply read:

Yes, I will be returning.
Best,
Jim

Phyllis could understand his curtness. She knew he didn’t arrive at his decision lightly and he also knew that Pam would be thrilled that Jim would be back. When she hurriedly told Pam “I heard that Jim’s coming back” as Phyllis was being ushered out the door, she saw the excitement in Pam’s eyes and she knew, just knew, that there was still a chance for them.

***

Phyllis was understanding. She understood why Jim was being so distant from Pam when he first came back. She understood why he was attracted to Karen. She was pretty, and funny. She understood why Pam looked so sad when she would catch Jim and Karen share a glance, a touch, a stick of gum. Phyllis knew that Pam regretted letting Jim go. She didn’t know exactly what transpired between the two on Casino Night but she knew it was something big. Jim had left for Stamford with hardly a word the next week and Pam seemed to spend an inordinate amount of time in the bathroom that week, returning with puffy eyes and red cheeks. Phyllis could only assume that Jim had finally confessed his feelings and Pam had not responded in-kind. She couldn’t blame her. Pam was committed to Roy and wasn’t the type of person to just throw away nine years in one night. But now that Pam had broken it off with Roy (most assuredly because of Jim), she understood why Pam looked so regretful every time she saw Karen and Jim together.

***

Phyllis was clever. Her cleverness made her an apt matchmaker. She knew absolutely that Jim and Pam belonged together but that they were stuck. They were stuck behind pride, misunderstanding, and fear, and Phyllis was determined to un-stick them. She knew she would have to start slowly and tread lightly. Jim and Pam’s relationship was in a fragile state right now.

***

Phyllis was careful. She approached Pam first, one day when she was making a cup of tea in the breakroom.

“Hi Pam.”

“Hi Phyllis.” Pam chimed (Phyllis loved her cheerful little voice), “Would you like a cup of tea? I just finished a pot.”

“Sure, that would be nice.” Phyllis handed Pam a mug and Pam filled it with her teapot. It was an ideal time to bring up the topic of Jim.

“Hey, didn’t Jim get you that teapot for Christmas?” Phyllis inquired knowing the answer full well. Pam flinched ever so slightly.

“Yeah… yeah, he did.” She responded, a little sadly.

“I always thought that was one of the most sweetest presents. He must have put a lot of thought into it.”

“Yeah… yeah.” Pam said a little quieter. “Did you know that he filled it with a bunch of inside jokes?”

Phyllis smiled broadly. “No I didn’t! That’s so like Jim to do something like that to someone he love… uh… likes so much.”

Pam started and tea sloshed out of her mug.

“Oops.” She said, reaching for a napkin, obviously flustered.

Phyllis smiled again reaching for a paper towel to help Pam.

“I’m sure he would have given a similar gift to anyone else in the office that he knew.” Pam stuttered.

Phyllis gave Pam a knowing look.

“Pam, think about the other Secret Santa gifts he’s bought people over the years. Last year he had Kelly and he got her a picture frame. The year before that he had Toby, someone he’s good friends with, and got him a desk set. The gift he got you is obviously more meaningful than either of those. The gift he got you was picked with love.”

Pam’s eyes welled with tears. She looked out the breakroom window and watched as Jim hung up his phone and said something to Ryan.

“It doesn’t matter. It’s too late.” Pam said in a barely audible voice.

Phyllis walked up behind Pam and whispered in her ear. “No, it isn’t.” With that, she took her mug of tea and walked out of the room.

***

Phyllis was busy. She was busy planning her wedding to Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration and busy trying to figure out how to get Karen out of the picture and convince Jim to give it another shot with Pam. As luck would have it, fate seemed to be on her side.

Shortly after the New Year, Phyllis was sitting in the break room with Karen, having lunch and making small talk when Jan unexpectedly appeared.

“Hi ladies,” Jan smiled. “I’m sorry to interrupt your lunch but, Karen, could I have a word with you a moment.”

“Sure.” Karen said confused and left the break room with Jan. About ten minutes later, Karen returned, looking dazed and a little flustered.

“They want me transfer to New York. I guess they need more female higher-ups at corporate and… well… they want to promote me!” Karen stated breathlessly.

“That’s great honey!” Phyllis exclaimed. And, it was. But Phyllis had other reasons for being excited at the prospect of Karen leaving.

“Yeah.” Karen said.

“You told Jan yes, right?” Phyllis asked.

“Um, I told her I would think about it.” Karen stated a little flatly.

Phyllis nodded her head in understanding. “Uh huh. And does this delay in accepting such a great offer have anything to do with Jim?” The fact that Karen and Jim were dating had been common knowledge around the office since Christmas. No one seemed to mind or really care all that much – no one except for Pam and Phyllis that is.

Karen looked at her. “Yeah… yeah I guess it does.”

“Honey, can I offer some advice?” Phyllis asked. Karen nodded. “Jim is a great guy! Trust me, I’ve worked with him for over five years. If I were a few years younger and he were a few years older, I probably would have gone for him.”

Karen laughed.

“But,” Phyllis continued. “I would not have sacrificed my career for him… not if we were just dating.”

Phyllis was acting on the assumption that Karen and Jim were still in “just dating” territory and things had not gotten terribly serious. She seemed to be correct because what she was saying seemed to be resonating with Karen.

“This is a great opportunity! A big promotion, a raise, a life in New York! This is every paper salesperson’s dream!” Karen chuckled again at Phyllis’s last statement. “I really think you’d regret it if you gave it up. And remember, New York is just a few hours away. If you and Jim are really meant for each other, you will find a way.”

Phyllis added this last statement more as a comfort to Karen. She knew that Karen and Jim weren’t meant to be together. She didn’t mean to be manipulative, but, in reality, this was a great opportunity for Karen and she would have encouraged Karen to go even if Jim weren’t in the picture. “Maybe I should talk to Jim, huh?” Karen said.
“I think that’s a good idea. And I’m willing to bet he’d agree!”

Jim did agree. Two weeks later, Karen was gone. Unfortunately, this didn’t make things much easier for Phyllis. Jim was nothing if not devoted and when he agreed to a long distance relationship with Karen, he meant it.

***

Phyllis was watchful. She watched as day by day, Pam and Jim seemed to grow a little closer. She watched as their old playful dynamic returned. She watched them plan pranks on Dwight. She watched as Jim’s trips to reception for “jellybeans” became more and more frequent.

***

Phyllis knew. She knew that Jim and Karen weren’t happy keeping this long distance relationship going. She knew that the feelings between Jim and Pam were growing each day. She knew that Jim and Karen had finally decided to call it quits that Monday morning when Jim came in unshaven and sad, looking like he hadn’t slept all weekend. She knew that Pam was secretly happy it was over even though she acted the part of sympathetic best friend, buying Jim a grape soda, doodling funny little cartoons for him all day. Phyllis knew, though, that they still needed a little push. She knew that they were both afraid of what they could lose if the other person didn’t feel the way they both were feeling.

***

Phyllis was married. It was her wedding day. She had just pledged her life and love for all eternity to Bob Vance, Vance refrigeration. It was the happiest day of her life. Yet, a little part of her ached to see Pam and Jim together. She was hoping that the two would come to her wedding together, especially since both as RSVP’d with no date. Alas, Jim came by himself and Pam had arrived with Ryan and Kelly, dressed in a periwinkle blue dress which made her look even prettier than usual.

About two hours into the reception, Phyllis had yet to see Jim and Pam dance. Pam had danced with Toby, Jim with Meredith. They had made small talk but avoided each other every time a slow or romantic song started to play. Phyllis yearned to see them together. She was a little annoyed that, even on her wedding day, she couldn’t get the idea of the two of them out of her head. She was tired of waiting for one of them to make a move, each being too fearful to just do it. So, Phyllis decided to do it for them.

The crowd watched as Phyllis kissed Bob Vance and walk over to the D.J. She said something to him and he smiled. She then handed him a piece of paper, glanced over at Jim and Pam who were sitting together and chatting at a table, and returned to her place next to her new husband. When the song ended the D.J. cued up the microphone.

“I just got a lovely request from Mrs. Vance.” The D.J. began. “She handed me this piece of paper and I’d like to read what’s on it.” The crowd’s interest peaked as the D.J. began.

“I feel like the luckiest woman alive today. I married my best friend and the love of my life. Only a few people on this earth are ever lucky enough to find both in the same person.” The crowd awwh’d before the D.J. continued.

“There are two people in this room tonight who are also best friends and, though they haven’t admitted it to each other, are deeply in love. They’ve been kept apart for a number of reasons over the past few years and now the only reason they aren’t together, is because they are afraid to say it to each other. These two know who they are, and I’d like them to dance to this next song so they don’t have to say anything.”

The crowd gasped and a murmur filled the room as the D.J. started playing “When You Say Nothing At All” by Allison Krause. No one moved… at first. Then,

***

Phyllis watched. She watched as Jim got up from his seat and asked Pam to dance. She watched Pam smile and nod and take his hand as he led her to the dance floor. She watched as Michael got all teary eyed and just stood there, smiling. She watched as Pam and Jim moved slowly to the sound of the music, gazing into each other’s eyes. She watched as Jim leaned in and softly placed his lips on Pam’s just as the last notes of the song drifted away.

***

Phyllis knew that sometimes fate just needs a little help. Phyllis was happy.


When You Say Nothing At All
By: Allison Krause

It's amazing how you, can speak right to my heart.
Without sayin' a word, you can light up the dark.
Try as I may I could never explain,
What I hear when you don't, say a thing.

The smile on your face, lets me know that you need me.
There's a truth in your eyes, saying you'll never leave me.
The touch of your hand, says you'll catch me, if ever I fall.
You say it best, when you say nothin' at all.

All day long I can hear, people talking out loud.
But when you hold me near, you drown out the crowd.
Ol' Mr. Webster could never define,
What's being said, between your heart and mine.

The smile on your face, lets me know that you need me.
There's a truth in your eyes, saying you'll never leave me.
The touch of your hand, says you'll catch me, if ever I fall.
You say it best, when you say nothing at all.

The smile on your face, lets me know that you need me.
There's a truth in your eyes, saying you'll never leave me,
The touch of your hand, says you'll catch me, if ever I fall.
You say it best, when you say nothing at all.


Kittykat47 is the author of 3 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked Phyllis Was also liked 1761 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans