- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Well, clearly it isn't going to be this easy, but I couldn't resist.
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Possibilities

They stood in the dim light and stared at each other for almost a full minute. Both of them were stunned and speechless from the power of what had just happened. It was just a kiss, but it was more than a kiss. It was a kiss that spoke louder than words (even the words he had spoken minutes before), a kiss that revealed secrets and made promises and created a whole new world of possibilities.

Pam opened her mouth but nothing escaped besides a gasp. Jim, too, tried to speak into the space between them, but only managed to move his mouth in awe. Finally, the spell seemed to break, and Pam slumped abruptly onto the edge of Jim's desk.


"I am an idiot," she said flatly.

Jim blinked, his stunned expression clouding "What? No, Pam, you're-"

"No, I am. I'm an idiot." She looked at him with an expression he couldn't read. The grim resolution that had carried him through his big confession and into the kiss began to recede into nausea. He could always read her eyes. She continued. "Jim, I- I thought we were friends."

Oh, no. No, no, no. That kiss. He'd been sure..."We are friends, Pam. You're my best friend. I just..."

Her expresion stopped him. It was scornful amusement- not accusatory, not defensive. "Jim. I thought we were just friends."

"Oh. Right." He couldn't resist. "Yeah, so maybe you are an idiot."

She laughed then, and he knew it was OK. Somehow, he wasn't going to lose her. She shook her head, still smiling wryly. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I did. Downstairs. Remember?"

"No, I mean, before that."

Where to begin? He'd been in denial, he'd been afraid. He'd been honorable, he'd been an idiot. He'd tried a million times. Suddenly, though, the truth, the absolute truth, came out. "I was hoping you'd tell me."

"Oh." An expression of sadness creased her brow. Jim was relieved that he could read the emotion written there, and amazed at what it told him. She was sad because she felt she had disappointed him. It was unreal. "I- I couldn't tell you, though."

"I know. Because you were..."

Her eyes widened. "I'm engaged. Oh, my God, I'm engaged." Jim couldn't help but crack a smile. He could tell she'd honestly forgotten for a moment.

"Yeah," he said simply, drawing the word out slightly as if he didn't want to hear what she'd say next.

"No, Jim. I'm getting married. To Roy." There was a note of confusion, of panic, in her voice that Jim found comforting, all things considered.

He looked straight into her eyes. "No."

"No?" Her voice was very soft.

"No, Pam. Unless...unless it's what you really want. I want you to be happy. I want to be the one to make you happy, but if I can't..." Jim stopped abruptly. He didn't trust his voice, and concentrated for a moment on holding back the sudden tears. Pam's eyes, too, were welling up, and he saw her glance quickly over at the exit as if planning her escape. Swallowing hard, he said the first thing that popped into his mind. "So, um, who was on the phone?" He thought he knew, but he needed to keep her talking so she wouldn't slip away from him. Not again, not now.

The question seemed to steady Pam. "Yeah, that was my mom. I needed to...I mean, she...um. You really surprised me downstairs. I just needed to talk it through."

He cringed slightly. "I'm sorry about that. I didn't plan it that way." Why was this so hard? "I just needed to tell you. Before it was too late to make a difference." He sunk down into his office chair and gazed up at her. In the light of the monitors, her shimmery dress took on a soft glow.

Pam took a deep breath and looked down at him, and expression of determination on her face. "I told her what you said. She asked me...she asked me if I was in love with you."

Jim swallowed hard but didn't breathe. He'd walked in during the end of the conversation. He'd heard a few of Pam's words. Could she have-? He waited. He didn't dare to interrupt.

"I told her I thought I was. Jim- " she slid off the edge of the desk and moved toward him, so their knees were touching. "I think I am."

He'd hoped. He'd imagined. Some days, he'd been sure. But now, he knew. The enormity of it robbed him of coherent thought. Finally, he smiled, the smile she knew was just for her, and said the only thing that made sense. "Really?"

"Yeah. Yes, really," and she was smiling too. Sighing her name, he grabbed her hand and pulled her to sit on his lap. He wrapped his arms around her and she rested her head on his shoulder. He closed his eyes. This was enough. He didn't need anything else. Just Pam. Just Pam.

Slowly, she sat upright. Her smile was gone, the anxiety back in her face. Meeting his eyes, she said, "He's not a bad person, you know. This is going to hurt him, and I hate that. You understand, that, right? You...you know this is going to be complicated for me, don't you?"

He took her hand gently. "I know that you are a good person, Pam. I know that you wouldn't have stayed with him all this time if you didn't...if you didn't care about him. Whatever you need, I...I'll support you. Or give you space or whatever it is. Just..." he paused, and the look of vulnerability touched Pam like none of his words had. "Just, don't marry him, OK? Please, don't marry him, Pam."

She shook her head and tried to smile reassuringly. "No. I couldn't now, could I?"

He looked down and then back up at her, trying to hide his smile. "Well, we did agree that you're an idiot."

"Oh, nice, Halpert. Thank you."

"Pam?"

"What now?"

"I love you. God, I love you."

And this time it was Pam who leaned in for the kiss- the miraculous kiss that held the key to everything that was possible.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans