- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Author's Chapter Notes:
A 500-word fic for the prompt "compromise."

"I thought I might find you out here," Pam ventures, precariously stepping onto the fire escape, two beers dangling from her hand.

 

Jim just shrugs and leans his head against the cool brick wall of the building.  "Here I am."

 

She bites her lip nervously.  "Can we please talk about this?"

 

"I'm not sure what there is to talk about."

 

Closing her eyes, she lowers her head and sighs.  "What you saw didn't mean anything.  I swear, Jim."

 

He finally meets her gaze.  "Is that what you told Roy about us?  Every time he walked into the office and saw us together, it didn't mean anything?"

 

She feels stung, his words as sharp as if he's slapped her.  "That's not fair."

 

"Why not?"  He rakes his hands through his hair.  "Pam, I walked into your office, and he was kissing you.  I'm not allowed to be upset about that?"

 

"You're not allowed to compare that to us," she says softly.  "There's a huge difference, and you know it."

 

"He works with you, he has a crush on you, you say you haven't been encouraging it, and I'm the one left out."  He breathes heavily through his nose.  "God, I feel like such an asshole."

 

She's so close to crying that she has to press her hands hard against her eyes to stop the tears from coming.  "The difference is that I always loved you, whether I wanted to admit it or not."  She exhales.  "I don't love him, Jim.  Most of the time I barely even like him."

 

"I just keep wondering if this is what Roy felt like," he finally replies, and it's enough that she has to climb back inside and retreat to the bathroom where she can sob freely.

 

When he walks in later to find her splayed out on the tile floor, resting her head against the pedestal sink, he's wearing a different expression.  "I didn't mean that the way that it sounded."

 

"Why don't you just ask me if I've got a record of ditching the men I'm committed to for random guys at work?" she mumbles, sniffling.

 

"I'm sorry."  He sits and pulls his knees up to his chest.  "I'm just all mixed up."

 

"Yeah," she answers, wiping furiously at her damp cheeks.

 

"I mean, I could tell you weren't kissing him back.  I could tell you were trying to stop it," he continues.  "But it just hit me that I did exactly the same thing to you when I kissed you."

 

"I kissed you back that night."

 

"I know."

 

"I loved you then."

 

"I know."

 

"I still love you, and you have nothing to worry about."

 

His voice is rough.  "I know."

 

"Roy and I were over a long time before you kissed me, Jim.  I was so afraid to let go of everything I knew."

 

He just nods, and she crawls over to him and buries her face in his neck.  "Truce?"

 

"Can I kiss you?"

 

She nods.  "Truce, then," he whispers.



Bella Lumina is the author of 4 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 5 members. Members who liked Truce also liked 1888 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans