- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Yeah, I don't own it. Nothing, none of it - not mine.
Yes. He said yes. And then? A silence filled with everything she doesn’t know, doesn’t understand.

In Connecticut, she knew how, she knew what, she knew why; she knew where she could get a goddamn manicure on a Sunday. Then he said “I think you should” and she heard yes, and she thought “maybe.” Maybe she finally knew who. So she crossed her fingers, packed up her car, and checked into the Holiday Inn. But their first night in town, Jim had ordered cottage cheese with apple butter. When she teased him about it (What the hell? Who eats that?), he just got quiet. Thoughtful. Then, after a moment: “I like it. I’ve missed it.” She saw then that maybe she knew nothing, at least nothing that mattered here in Scranton. “He’s home,” she thought. “This is his home. He’s home, and where am I? Maybe,” she thought again, “maybe I don’t really know him so well.” By Monday, her first day in the office, she knew something else – she had a lot to learn about this town.

And she does. She learns something new every day. But the more she learns, the less she understands, starting with why and ending with yes.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans