- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I was inspired to write this after watching a clip of John Krasinski and Rainn Wilson having a dance-off on The Ellen DeGeneres Show. Title from Arctic Monkeys.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended

Michael swiveled in his chair and spoke thoughtfully to the camera, “We’re having a dance marathon at the community center on Friday night! All of the companies in the Scranton Business Park will be there as well as other local businesses are coming. It’ll be a charity event for…” He paused. “…something charitable. Haven't decided yet. Probably the disabled. You know, because they can’t dance.”

“Dancing is an essential for living. Everyday, I tape The Ellen Show and my favorite part is when she dances with the audience. You know, she really connects with her audience.” He put his hand over his heart. “I tried to do the same thing here, but it didn’t catch on.” (The documentary inserted a clip of Michael prancing around the office to Pink’s “Get the Party Started” as everyone ignored him.)


----------
The party planning committee met in the conference room. In front of Angela laid a neat and orderly list of party details. Dunder-Mifflin was responsible for the refreshments.

“I called the caterers this morning and received a quote. It took a bit of hassling, but they have reduced their prices to a very reasonable amount,” Angela said. Pam shot a look at the camera. She felt sorry for the poor caterers and the “hassling” Angela probably gave them over the phone.

Angela continued, “Michael still has not told me what charitable group he wants to give the funds to. I am going to suggest the Humane Society.”

“What does the Humane Society have to do with a dance marathon?” asked Phyllis.

“Animals like to dance too! But you wouldn’t know that because you don’t like animals.”

Phyllis dropped her head and muttered under her breath, “No, I don’t like you.”

----------
Angela sat in the break room, “I love to twirl my cats around the house. They have so much fun.” She smiled and then stopped herself when she realized what she was doing. “I see nothing wrong with dancing, as long its good wholesome dancing.”


----------
Clearing his throat, Dwight stood next to Angela’s desk. In a voice loud enough for the whole office to hear, he asked, “Angela, do you have a partner for the dance marathon?”

The entire office turned in their direction. She did not look surprised and answered formally, “No, Dwight. I do not have a partner for the dance marathon.”

“Would you like to be my partner? I am an exceptional dancer and have references to prove it. This, of course, would be a platonic and strictly professional endeavor.” His voice sounded stiff, as if he were reading from a script.

“Yes, I understand. I accept your invitation to be your platonic dance partner. Thank you very much.” Her tone and words had obviously been rehearsed as well. Dwight bowed and returned to his desk, a small smile on his face.


----------
Dwight smiled confidently at the camera. “The Schrutes are well-known for our dancing prowess. I had a great-uncle who was an award-winning ballroom dancer. His specialty was the cha-cha. My mother taught my cousin Mose and I the art of ballroom dancing at a very young age. Mose usually took the female role. My father told me that the key to winning a woman’s heart was the ability to dance.” He cocked his head. “That and the ability to be a hunter-slash-provider.”

“I also well-versed the art of ‘street dancing.’ Here, watch my technique.” He stood up and began swinging his arms like the Robot. “Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto.”


----------
Jim and Pam were standing by the water cooler, watching Dwight ask Angela (!) to be his dance partner.

“Did that just happen?” Jim asked as he walked Pam back to her desk.

“I have no words.” She was biting her bottom lip to stop the explosion of laughter that tempted to escape.

Jim leaned over reception. “Seriously, the most bizarre thing I have ever seen!” He shook his head. “So are you looking forward to the dance marathon? Really, Michael will use any excuse to get us to look like idiots on camera.”

“Instead of working, he spends his time planning ways to get us out of the office.” She drummed her fingers on the counter next to Jim. “But yeah, I’m looking forward to it. I love dancing, but I’ll have to drag Roy out on the floor.”


----------
Pam sat in the conference room, “Roy doesn’t like to dance much. We’ve actually only ever danced a few times, you know, like at homecoming and prom. We danced at the Booze Cruise, but that was a really special night…and he was totally plastered.” Her expression saddened.

“But we need to practice. Ever since I was a kid, I’ve always dreamed of dancing with my husband at my wedding. Of course, back then, I was going to marry Kevin Arnold from The Wonder Years.”


----------
Jim’s eyes were wistful. He imagined holding Pam in his arms while a slow song played in the background when her voice shook him out of the dream. “Are you bringing a date to the marathon?”

He looked at her before replying, “Yeah.” He looked down again so he didn’t see the disappointment on her face. “Her name is Jessica. We’ve been going out for awhile.”

“Oh, that’s great,” she responded though her face didn’t match her words. “You didn’t tell me that you were dating anyone. Its been a while since you and Katy broke up.”

He shrugged and grabbed a piece of paper to play with. “Yeah, I mean, its not serious or anything.”

“I can’t wait to meet her.”

“Sure.” Pam’s eyes followed him as he walked back to his desk.


----------
“I am a horrible dancer, so, a dance marathon - yea!” Jim pumped a fist at the camera. “Woo-hoo! Par-tay!” He was far from enthusiastic. He looked past the camera and cracked a smile. “Seriously, why are you interviewing me when that’s going on behind you?”

The camera operator turned and caught Dwight and Michael doing The Hammer Dance in front of the conference room.

“Hammer Time!” Michael yelled as he scooted across the camera. “Oooo-ooooo! Here comes the hammer!”

Jim stood in the doorway and shrugged at Pam. She smothered a laugh in her hand.


----------
In the break room, Kelly asked Pam what she was wearing to the dance marathon. Jim sat next to them and silently ate from a bag of chips.

“I bought a new dress. Its pink.”

“Oh, that sounds so pretty. You’re going to look so beautiful. You should wear your hair down and in big curls.” Kelly pouted, “I bought a new dress too but I just hope I don’t look too fat tomorrow night. I’m so bloated. Ryan’s going to think I look so gross.”

Ryan heard that last comment as he walked into the break room. Jim mouthed, “Sorry, man” at him. Ryan turned his back to them and searched the cabinet for a coffee mug.


----------
Ryan sighed. “I let Kelly talk me into going to this dance marathon. I hate dancing in public.” He shook his head. “I’m going to drink a lot. A lot.”


----------
Back in Michael’s office, he was hanging up the phone. “Just talked to Fraulein Jan. She can’t come to the dance marathon. Not that I expected her to. I just thought it might be nice if she did…”

He crossed his arms across his chest, a huge smile spreading across his face. “Doesn’t matter. I wouldn’t have time to talk to my boss anyway. I’ve got a date for the marathon. Her name is Susan and she’s from my improv class. She’s smoking hot!” He frowned slightly. “At least, she would be if she wore makeup. I’m going to call her and make sure she puts some on. And wears something besides sweatpants.” He reached for the phone.


----------
The ballroom at the community center looked like a high school prom. Shiny blue and green intertwined streamers ran down the walls and iridescent balloons were tied in clumps all over the room. At every table, which were situated at random, sat small potted plants. “Tacky!” Angela frowned. The party planning committee from Vance Refrigeration had been in charge of decorations.

At the door sat a sign with several handwritten charities. No one knew exactly which charity the dance marathon was meant to help, so each business offered their charity of choice.

Michael was dressed in a tuxedo and spoke to the camera. “No, I’m alone tonight. Susan called this morning to say that she had the flu and couldn’t make it. I went to her house after work to bring some soup. But when she opened the door, she said that her grandmother had just died. Poor thing, she’s having a rough day. Though she didn’t look sick…” He dropped his eyes from the camera.

“But whatever! I don’t have time for women tonight. I am the emcee. The master of ceremonies.” He smiled.


----------
Pam and Roy sat down at a table with Meredith. Roy sat down glumly and didn’t bother to help her out of her coat. He was upset because he wanted to watch the game with the guys at Poor Richards.

“Wow, Pam! You look wonderful!” enthused Meredith.

Pam smiled her thanks. “Are you here with a date?”

Meredith smiled mischievously. “Todd Packer.”

“No!” Pam really hoped that Meredith was kidding.

She wasn’t. Right then, Packer came strolling up with two drinks. Meredith reached for one. “Get your own, woman! Ha ha, just kidding! I would never drink one of these frou-frou girly drinks.” His greedy eyes sized up Pam and he smacked his lips, “Damn, Receptionist.” Roy placed a protective arm around her shoulder.

She stood up. “I’m going to get a drink.”

Roy yelled behind her, “Grab me a beer, babe.”


----------
At the bar, Phyllis held hands with Bob Vance from Vance Refrigeration. Both were really excited about dancing. Looking into the camera, she timidly said, “I used to be a dancer when I was younger. I loved it. Are you excited, Bobby?”

“This is great promotion for the businesses in Scranton, especially for Vance Refrigeration. I’m sure glad that I brought so many Vance Refrigeration business cards.” He held up the cards to the camera.


-----------
Returning from the bar, Pam saw Jim with a woman she assumed was Jessica standing at the next table. She couldn’t read the look on Jim’s face when she walked up but the blush that rose on his cheeks was clearly understandable. Suddenly she was glad that she had bought this new dress. Then, she remembered her fiancé sitting at the table.

“Hi!” She suddenly felt really bubbly.

“I want you to meet Jessica. Jess, this is Pam.” She held her hand out to the tall, thin blonde, who took it cautiously. Jessica was pretty, not showy but she definitely garnered second glances.

“Pam, its so nice to meet you finally. Jim talks about you all the time.” Interesting, especially since Pam didn’t know Jessica existed until a couple days ago.

Roy stood next to her and possessively threw his arm around her waist. “This is my fiancé Roy.”

Jessica’s face lit up a little bit. “Oh, I didn’t know you were engaged. Jim told me all about you but he didn’t mention that.” Both women looked at Jim.

Jim took his hand from Jessica’s. “I’m going to get a drink. Anybody need anything?”


----------
Jim leaned against the bar, talking to the camera. “So? I didn’t tell Jess that Pam was getting married. Must have slipped my mind. Big deal! Do you want a drink?” The camera shook up and down as a hand appeared from under the camera, accepting a bottle of root beer from Jim.


----------
“Welcome to the Dance Marathon!” Michael stood in front of the stage, where a DJ was set up. “This little soiree started as a fundraiser sponsored by the Dunder-Mifflin paper company, ‘the company that meets all your paper supply needs.’ However, once members of our fine Scranton business community found out about it, our little event exploded into a dancing extravaganza. At least 23 charities will be benefited by tonight.” The room filled with cheers.

“Thank you, thank you. That’s not necessary.” Michael put his hands to quiet the crowd. “Anyway, the rules are simple. Dance as long as you can until the cut-off time at three A.M. Which ever company has the employee lasting the longest wins. And its all for charity. My friend Ryan told me that all the kids are listening to Fall Down Boy-”

“Fall Out Boy,” murmured Ryan.

“-and they have a song called ‘Dance Dance.’ So that’s what I’m expecting out of all of you tonight. Dance, dance! Hit it DJ!”

The Temptations’ “My Girl” filled the room as everyone made their way to the dance floor. Dwight and Angela, immediately assuming proper ballroom dancing positions, were in the center of the room. Jim and Jessica were close to them.

“Jim,” Dwight said sternly. “Tonight is between you and me. This is a competition that I will not lose. You cannot defeat me. I have the skills and the stamina-”

“And a strong partner,” Angela interjected.

“-and the partner to win tonight. Considered yourself eliminated.”

Dwight’s cocky demeanor irritated Jim. What did Dwight think this was - Strictly Ballroom or something? He looked over Jessica’s shoulder at Pam with a wide-eyed, amused expression. “You are so on, Dwight!”


----------
During a break, Dwight was downing water. “Tonight, I have a very important mission. To protect the Schrute reputation of dance perfection.” He wiped the sweat from his brow. “I’m so glad to have such a great partner.” He smiled faintly toward Angela, who was doing stretching exercises in the hallway.


----------
Kelly and Ryan were not taking the competition too seriously. They would dance for one or two songs, then Ryan would head to the bar. Kelly didn’t seem to mind too much. She sipped her appletini and smoothed out the skirt of her purple dress.

Oscar did not care about the dance either. He and his best friend Gil sat at a table, chatting all night.

The camera zoomed in on Stanley and his wife Terri who were really cutting a rug on the dance floor. Knowing Stanley, none of his coworkers imagined he enjoyed dancing so much. The Hudsons had obviously taken classes for many years. At one point, everyone in the room stopped as the couple demonstrated a waltz. They were going to be the couple to beat.

Todd Packer was drunkenly groping Meredith. Poor Meredith.

Toby chatted quietly to a mystery woman in the corner of the room

Michael danced by himself in front of the stage. The camera zoomed on his flailing arms during a fast song. He was attempting the Moonwalk but his shoes weren’t slick enough on the smooth surface.

Creed was a dancing machine. He managed to dance with every woman (and few of the men) in the ballroom. His technique: at the start of each song, he just cut in on an unsuspecting couple.


----------
Creed was standing by the refreshment table, stuffing appetizers into his pockets. When asked about his many partners on the dance floor, he replied, “I have a short attention span. I blame it on the ‘60s.”


----------
Pam was surprised. Roy actually danced five dances before wanting to go home. She had a bet on three though her heart was set on seven dances. She put her hands on her hips and refused.

“Come on, Pam. The final game is on tonight. Daryl and the guys are watching it at Poor Richards.”

“Well then go to Poor Richards, if you’d rather be there then with your fiancée.” She expected this was going to happen, but she had hoped Roy would surprise her. For once. He was a good guy, really he was. Sometimes, though, it seemed like they had nothing in common. She watched as he walked out the door, dressed in his jeans. He had thrown on the first clean pair he could find. They definitely had looked like a mismatched couple tonight.

She sat down at her table and looked out at the dance floor. She realized that without Roy, she didn’t have a dance partner. She didn’t care that she would not win the competition, only that she would have to sit by herself all night. She sighed.

She sipped her beer and glanced over at Jim, who was laughing with his date. He looked so handsome, having obviously made an effort to dress up. Jessica’s long hair was pulled back in a sleek ponytail that fell over the shoulder of her slinky black dress. They made an attractive couple.


----------
Michael was dripping in sweat. He threw off his jacket and loose his bow tie before walking over to the refreshment table. He drank a cup of punch while Stanley and Terri filled their plates with food.

“Jeez, Stanley, I had no idea that you could dance like that. Especially since, you know-” Michael gave a knowing look to Stanley.

Stanley finished the sentence, “Since I grew up in the ghetto.” Michael nodded. Terri glanced over at the camera before laughing into a napkin.


---------
Stanley stood against the wall and spoke gruffly to the camera. “I’ve been ballroom dancing for twenty plus years. My wife used to be a dance instructor. That’s how we met. I took private lessons.”


---------
Dwight and Angela were swing dancing. He threw her up in the air and caught her again. During a complicated series of fancy footwork, she took a slight misstep. “Come on, woman. Tonight is important. You must be perfect,” he hissed.

She gave him a stern look, “Don’t talk to me like that, Dwight.” He kept his mouth shut though he was pleased that she took dancing as seriously as he did.

Jim and Jessica were attempting to swing dance, unsuccessfully. Laughing, he said, “Don’t expect me to ever take you dancing again.”

“Oh, I won’t, now that I’ve seen your moves!” He narrowly missed stepping on her foot.

“Harsh.” He spun her and she nearly ran into another couple.

“So you’re really making a fool of yourself in order to beat Dwight at this silly dance marathon?”

“Absolutely. He’s making me do this. He challenged me and now, here I am. Determined to be the last dancer standing.”

“Tell about another one of your pranks against Dwight.”

“Well, this one time, Pam and I-”


---------
Pam was hunched over the bathroom sink, tears streaming down her cheeks. She wasn’t sure why she was crying. She started to wash her hands and the tears began falling. After experiencing years of Roy leaving her to hang out with his friends, she should be used to it by now. She felt a hand on her shoulder and jumped a little.

“I’m sorry,” Jessica apologized. “I just saw you crying and wanted to make sure you were OK.”

Pam took the tissue from the pretty blonde’s hand and wiped her eyes. “Thank you.”

“Do you want to talk about it?” Pam shook her head no. Jessica seemed sweet.

Kelly strolled into the bathroom but stopped when she saw Pam. “Pam, are you OK? Oh, hi.” She had just noticed Jessica standing there. “I’m Kelly.”

“Hi, I’m Jessica, Jim’s girlfriend.” Pam realized why she had been crying.


----------
Jessica’s arms were wrapped around Jim’s neck. He kept glancing over at Pam, sitting by herself. She sat sideways in a chair, her head laid against her arm as it draped the top of the chair. She looked sad and Jim could swear that he saw her wipe a tear away. It made him so angry when Roy ditched her like this. He was sure that if he knew Roy better than he might like him. No, that would never happen. Jessica noticed Jim’s body seemed tense and turned her head to follow his gaze.

A new song began as someone tapped him on the shoulder.

“Its my turn, junior.” Jim spun to see Creed. He took a step back as Creed took Jessica into his arms. Her face had a look of terror.

Jim straddled a chair next to Pam. He wrapped his long arms around the back of the chair and gazed at her. “Creed stole my date.” Pam’s lips formed a weak smile. They looked at the two dancers. Creed was twirling Jessica as she giggled and munched on a cookie that he had pulled from his jacket.

“How is the conquest to destroy Dwight’s dancing reputation?”

“I’m such a horrible dancer. Why did he choose me as his main competition? Why not Stanley or someone he can actually compete against?”

“You should think of ways to make Dwight or Angela trip? Or try to psych them out.”

“Oh, I have. I’m saving all of my pranks until they’re really tired.”

Jessica laughingly walked over to them. Her face quickly darkened to a frown as she stood, waiting until they realized she was standing there. Her arms were crossed when Jim looked up in surprise at her.

“Oh, hey! Sorry, didn’t see you there. Pam and I were plotting against Dwight. Are you ready to dance again?” Jim followed Jessica, who silently walked back out to the dance floor.

Pam stood and asked Michael for a dance. He beamed and nodded enthusiastically.

It was almost midnight and the dance floor was at a third of its capacity. Despite their theatrics, Stanley and Terri were done for the night. He helped her into her coat and they waved their goodbyes to the co-workers.

Oscar and Gil were still chatting as they held hands under the table. Toby had left a couple of hours previously. This weekend, he had custody of his daughter Sasha.

Todd Packer was passed out in the corner, next to a fake plastic tree. Meredith was swaying by herself on the dance floor, happy to be rid of Packer for a while.

Kelly and Ryan were making out at a table, sitting next to an elderly couple. Several bottles and martini glasses sat in front of the amorous couple.

Phyllis and Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration, sat quietly with Kevin and Stacy. Kevin was bobbing his head along to the music as his fiancée fell asleep, leaning on his shoulder. He couldn’t help wishing the organizers had hired Scrantonicity to play tonight. They would have rocked the house.


----------
Michael was out of breath after dancing, “I think tonight is going great. My gang have really put their best foot forward. Ha!” He continued to smile. “Our efforts tonight are going to be appreciated by those disabled people who can’t dance.” He looked straight into the camera and said seriously, “You’re very welcome, disabled people of the world.”


----------
Jessica had had enough. Jim was not looking at her. Again, she followed his gaze. She stopped dancing and her hands fell to his chest. He finally noticed her.

“I’m going to call a taxi and head home.” His looked at her with confusion in his eyes. Before she walked off the dance floor, she said, “You know, Jim, you’re a great guy but this isn’t going to work out.”

“Jess!” He grabbed her hand but she slipped out of his grip.

Jessica put on her coat and reached for her cell phone.

“Jess, what the hell just happened?”

She smiled weakly. “I’m bowing out gracefully.” Jim was speechless. “Its obvious to everyone in this room that I’m not the person you want to be here with.”

“I don’t understand. Are we breaking up?”

She reached up to touch his cheek. “From our first date, I’ve been so jealous of Pam. You went on and on about her. I kept hoping you’re weren’t in love with her. But meeting her tonight, its so obvious how much you love her. I really like you, Jim Halpert, and I was on the verge of falling in love with you. But I’m not competing with her. I may not be your Pam, but I have the right to be someone’s Jessica.”

Fifteen minutes later, Jim walked over to where Pam sat next Kevin and Stacy. He touched her elbow and she looked up.

“Hey, do you want to dance with me?” She looked surprised but nodded.

As they walked to the floor, Jim heard Kevin say, “Nice.” Jim raised his eyebrows in response.

As they swayed apart from each other to a popular fast song, Pam was a little surprised to hear about Jim and Jessica’s breakup. She was even more surprised that he didn’t seem too upset about it.

“Why did you ask me to dance?”

“I want to beat Dwight and I need a partner.”

“So, I’m ‘just a simple prop.’”

He responded with a wink, “’To occupy my time.’”

“Dwight has eternally ruined R.E.M. for me.” she replied laughingly.

The next song was a slow ballad. Jim always imagined what this moment would be like, but now that he had the opportunity, he was terrified. All of the sudden, he was a thirteen year old boy at his first dance. He held her awkwardly at first, keeping his arm loose around her waist, but she unconsciously eased into step with him. Feeling braver, he tightened his hold and she responded in turn. He hoped the camera did not catch his big goofy grin. It did.

“Oh great!” Dwight muttered as he and Angela slow danced. Angela looked up at him with curious eyes. “Now, Jim’s dancing with Pam. They’re teaming up and they’re going to psych us out so we lose this contest. We have to win!”

Angela rested her head against Dwight’s chest and whispered, “Who cares?”

Jim and Pam sashayed next to them and offered dancing tips. Jim dramatically spun Pam out into the crowd. When she returned to his side, he dipped her. He almost dropped her because she was laughing so hard.

Dwight glared at the pranksters and said, “You will not defeat or destroy me, Jim Halpert. I am a Schrute. I am the master of the dance floor as well as an expert of martial arts.” Then he dragged a protesting Angela further away.

Pam’s head fell against Jim’s chest as she laughed, “Master of the dance floor!”

----------
Dwight and Angela were taking another water/stretching break. “I can’t understand why those two can’t take anything seriously. Dancing is not for the faint of heart.”

Angela nodded, “I agree. Just look at them.”

They shook their heads in disgust and watched Jim and Pam, who were bouncing around to a silly ‘80s song.


----------
The camera operator asked Jim and Pam a question. “I know, I know, I don’t dance. But Dwight challenged me and I accepted. Its all her fault.” He nodded to his dance partner.

“Suck it up, Halpert.” Jim bit his bottom lip and shot his trademark raised eyebrow glance at the camera.


----------
Michael was asleep, curled up on the stage and using his tuxedo jacket as a pillow. The only couples left on the dance floor were Dwight/ Angela and Jim/Pam.

Pam was nearly asleep. Her arms were draped around Jim’s neck and he had a tight hold on her waist to keep her standing. His heart was pounding at her touch of her fingers. He glanced over at his enemy. Dwight threw him a threatening look. Jim shook Pam lightly to wake her up.

“Wake up, Pam. Please wake up.” Her eyes opened slowly and she tried to make her legs stand a little straighter.

“Is the marathon almost over?” She mumbled against his chest.

“Almost. But I need you to wake up a little bit because I can’t do this by myself.” He reluctantly loosen his grip on her and she shook her head to wake herself up. She took a step back so that he held her at an arm’s length.

The drowsy DJ kicked Michael lightly with his foot. Michael stirred and looked at his watch. It was almost time to end the marathon. He grabbed the microphone from the DJ. “Well kids, its almost over. I guess we’ll- OW! That had to hurt.” On the dance floor, Angela had taken a misstep and she and Dwight fell to the ground in a heap.

The song stopped playing as Michael yelled, “We have a winner!”

Queen’s “We are the Champions” filled the ballroom.

Exhaustion finally set in. Jim’s legs gave way as he fell to his knees and then onto his back. Pam tumbled on top of him. He had forgotten that his arms were still wrapped around her. Her head laid on his chest.

She lifted her head, her face so close to his. Her eyes glowed as she whispered, “We won! We defeated Dwight and Angela!”

All Jim could do was look at her mouth, so close to his. Perhaps it was fatigue or the fact that Pam was laying on top of him, but he could resist no longer. He narrowed the space between them by softly pressing his lips to hers. She did not draw back but instead moved her hands from his chest to his face as her mouth responded to his.

The kiss was broken when Dwight’s furious voice filled the ballroom.

“Michael! That’s not fair! I had the best technique on the dance floor. Jim didn’t even try. He just swayed back and forth.” Dwight mocked Jim as he swayed wildly. “And he switched partners halfway through the competition. It wasn’t my fault that Angela tripped. The victory should be mine!”

Glaring at her partner, Angela angrily stomped off the dance floor and out of the ballroom. Michael was stammering into the microphone. Jim helped Pam to her feet and looked uncomfortably at the ground.

Michael stumbled over his words. “Well, the point of the marathon was whoever lasted the longest won. And Jim and Pam were the only couple still dancing.”

Dwight dropped his head and walked slowly off the floor, muttering “The Schrute legacy has been disgraced.”

Jim wanted to talk to Pam about the kiss but was distracted by the few well-wishers who had stayed until the end of the marathon. Michael jumped between them to raise both of their hands above their heads.

“What a great night for Dunder-Mifflin! Jan will be so proud of my little gang,” Michael gushed like a proud father.

Pam disappeared and wasn’t around as Jim was forced to pose for photographs with an obnoxious trophy. He finally found her as she was putting on her coat, next to Kevin and Stacy.

He gently but firmly grabbed her arm. “Hey, let me drive you home.”

She met his eyes and he looked at her tear-stained face. “Thanks, but Kevin offered to take me home.”

He didn’t let go of her arm. “We need to talk.”

“Later, OK.” She pulled away from his grasp and walked out of the ballroom.


----------
Talking to the camera, Jim held his trophy up with one hand and ran the other hand through his hair. “I told you I sucked at dancing.” He shrugged. “Yeah, Monday’s going to be really awkward at the office.”



bonorocks is the author of 9 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor also liked 872 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans