- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

Don't think that I don't see things, Jim, because I do.

The placard on my desk reads Reception. I see everything. I notice everything, especially when it comes to you. Don't think that I didn't notice that you went to Karen first after I saw how annoyed you were becoming with Andy. Don't think that I didn't see that she blew you off. I saw your face before you sat back down at your desk.

Don't think that I didn't notice you ask Ryan to pull a prank on Andy. I heard. And don't think that I didn't already have ideas formulating in my head if, somehow, some way, you'd think to ask me.

And you did! You did ask me. And just like you pretended not to know me when you first came back, I pretended not to be interested. But has pretending ever really worked well with us? Not for very long, anyway. So of course when you asked me, I was ready ten years ago. And you said, stay right here, as if I was going to go anywhere. But I'm not going anywhere, ever. And don't think that your hands resting on my desk, even for three seconds, didn't make my stomach tie into a huge knot. It didn't bother me for a second that I was your last choice. Because just like I knew Katy wasn't right for you, I knew that I'd be the only one to successfully execute this prank with you. Hasn't it always been that way?

When you got up, even though I knew it was a signal to follow you (because I always know), it changed things because, Jim, it was just you and me again. You and me against the weirdness that it's been the past few months. I had Andy's phone in my hand and when you held yours out to me, behind your back, it was like, oh my God. You were holding your hand out to me and if I were bold enough, I could just take it and hold on to it, right in front of your girlfriend and not care about anything else besides the fact that I'm holding on to you.

But we had a prank to pull, right? And I'm still me.

So I covered for you at the watercooler while you stood on the counter and lifted up the ceiling panel. Don't think that I didn't notice her watching us. Don't think that I didn't feel the tiniest bit happy about that. I'm sorry, but I did. Not because I don't like her (because I do, Jim, I really do), but because if she loved you, she'd have been the one standing at the watercooler, not me. Does that sound stupid? I don't know. Maybe not everyone sees things the way we do.

When I called Andy's cell phone number and we both heard it ringing from up in the ceiling, I saw you sort of dance to his ringtone and, Jim, I have really good peripheral vision and it wasn't so much the prank that made me smile but the fact that you turned around in your chair to look at me. I mean, you never really do that anymore.

It's kind of funny, because we both know this was for Dwight. And maybe a little bit for Angela, too, but you don't really know about that and I'll have to tell you someday.

Can you believe I actually had to go through with setting up a ridiculous party after all of that? I had a really hard time keeping focused on putting up Mexican-themed decorations when all I could think about was Andy's cell phone in the ceiling, and that you and I were the ones that put it there. And, Angela may or may not have told me that I dress provoctatively, but again, that's a story for another time. She also said that I say whatever thought pops into my head. Laugh, if you want to. It kind of made me think.

So I watched as you called Andy's phone and I watched as he got more and more angry. I laughed a few times because, really, he's crazy and I don't know how you dealt with him in Stamford without me. Or, even just dealt with him in general. I don't know.

I watched as Andy tore the office apart, looking for something he'd never in a million years find (because we are that good), and I wished so badly that you still sat at your old desk so that I could see your face. But that's not the first time I wished that. I've wished that a lot since you've been back. You have no idea how hard it is for me not to be able to see you, and the back of your head, as great as it is, is nothing compared to the front or even the side of you. You should know I miss that.

And, so, Andy punched a hole in the wall. Were you expecting that? I wasn't. As much as we've messed with Dwight, he never did anything that crazy. Were we wrong in taking things that far? Were we out of line, pulling a prank on someone so volatile? No, I don't think so.

Jim, I'll be honest and say that the only reason I put on a sombrero was because you did first. I know that's something we would have joked about back then, but maybe it was funny anyway. And I meant what I said about breaking Andy's brain. We did major damage to him, so, high-five. If you still do that. I'm not sure if you do. Promotion, and all.

But you laughed and even though you kind of spit on me, it was everything. You laughed kind of like you haven't laughed in a really long time. Have you? I want to make you laugh always. Especially when it's just the two of us like that, because at that moment, for me anyway, we were the only ones in the room. You, me, and a hole in the wall with silly hats on our heads that sort of hid us from the rest of the world.

I know how I am, Jim, and I know that she was watching us. I'm not sure why, because didn't you tell her that we were friends? You didn't tell her about...never mind. I'm sure you didn't. Because that would have been really stupid if you had, and I doubt she would have been as nice to me as she was, if she knew. Or, maybe you did tell her and that's why she didn't talk to me all day. I wish you'd let me know these things so I could be prepared. Maybe if I knew, I could tell you a lot of the things I've been meaning to tell you. Well, you know me. It might take me longer than we both want.

I see things, Jim. Don't think I didn't notice you sitting in the conference room by yourself and don't think I didn't recognize the expression on your face, because I've seen it before. I saw it the day you were sitting in the break room, the day I told you that you shouldn't give Karen a hard time for moving two blocks away from you. I'll have to tell you someday how I really felt about all of that. But I saw you, anyway, and I saw her go in after you. I promise I wasn't trying to look, and I have no idea what you guys talked about, but it didn't look good by the expression on her face when she left the room.

It looked even worse when she grabbed her things and left after that.

I'm not oblivious, Jim. In fact, I take things in more than I let them out. I think maybe you know that. I see lots more now than I ever have before, and I don't know if it's because I'm watching more closely, or if it's because I'm used to something different than the way it's been, or what. But it was just us in the conference room after that, well, not just you and me, but us. Our office. With Dwight, the way it's supposed to be. And yeah, he's crazy, and Michael's crazy and Creed's crazy and they're all crazy in some way, but when it's just us, it makes sense again. You know? I kind of felt like it made sense again when we stood next to each other, watching him attack the pinata with a broom. Maybe I'm crazy. But it made sense.

When you left that night you said good night, just like you always do, but there was something else in your eyes, something deeper that I'll have to think about tonight before I go to sleep. I'm totally one for thinking of things to say hours or even days after my opportunity has passed, so when I decide what it is that I would have said to you after you said good night to me, I'll let you know. I'm sure it will come out when the rest of it does, whenever the time seems right and whenever I think I may have a chance with you again.

I notice things, Jim. I take things in, and I usually hold them there until it's too late. But I hope it's not too late. I hope it'll never be too late.



69 cups of noodles is the author of 31 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Reception also liked 150 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans