The General Fanfic Discussion Thread

Message Boards Fanfiction and Writing The General Fanfic Discussion Thread

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    More Than That
    Branch Manager

Like the title says, here’s the place to post whatever about (Office) fanfic. Just found a great fanfic or revisited a classic and want to discuss? Looking for a specific fanfic? Have some writing tips to share? Post its all here!

#1066 Reply
      manidfk
      Employee

I just read stablergirl’s ‘Real Life actor’ (spacing on the name) fic and WOW, what a great story. Its 12 am and it took 4+ hours to read but totally worth it. Hats of to her, as writing this surely must have taken countless days of preparing and editing. The emotion, depth, unpredictability- just fantastic.

#1067 Reply
        Ladama
        Assistant (to the) Manager

I just wanted to be famous. and 100% agreed, I read it for the first time last fall and it now it’s one of my all time faves. Stablergirl still drops by and replies to reviews so I encourage you and everyone to leave as many as you’d like!

#1070 Reply
          Candi
          Employee

Hi there! I’ve been exploring this website and fan fic archive for weeks now but I just signed up for an account. I actually have a story halfway done and I want to maybe post it here but I’ve never done it before. I read the general rules but is there anything else I should know before posting? Any major no-nos? It’s a bit sexy and I’m worried about that. I wish I’d maybe done something tamer for my first time out of the gate. If anyone has any words of wisdom, I’d be forever in your debt.

#1072 Reply
            idnaoj80
            Employee

Welcome! We are very happy that you’ve found us!

First, make sure to register with the fanfic archive if you haven’t yet.

Submitting a new story is not too difficult. Just read through the submission rules and you should be fine.  Formatting, proper tagging, and proper ratings are very important to us here but we mods will do our best to help if you have any questions.

I’m not a writer so I cant help with that but I find our little community to be very welcoming and encouraging 🙂

I look forward to reading your fic!

#1073 Reply
              Candi
              Employee

I haven’t registered yet but I’ll go do it right now. I’m very active in another fandom but I’ve never written fan fiction for it except for when we have Bad Fan Fiction challenges. So I have no clue about formatting or anything. This might require a little trial and error but I usually pick up on things pretty quick.

Thank you for your response! I really appreciate it.

#1074 Reply
                Ladama

Hey Candi, welcome to MTT! We always excited to see new authors. We put together this visual guide on submitting stories, hopefully that will help out.

I would say the most important thing is make sure your story is all written, spell checked and formatted how you want in a separate text editor because the text editor on the site is occasionally wonky and there’s not *really* a way to save drafts.

My biggest formatting tips would be avoiding indentation because that’s something that can make our text editor go haywire and can be hard to edit. Because of that, you should also have a space between paragraphs for readability.

That’s about it, I look forward to reading your story!

#1076 Reply
                  Candi
                  Employee

Perfect! I didn’t indent once. I think it might be because I’ve read so many fics on here in the past few weeks and none of them used indentation so I must have been unconsciously imitating that format. I have one more chapter to write and then I guess I’ll try posting it.

Every single story I’ve read lately has been from 2007-2008. Does anyone have any recs for the best recent ones? Or should this be in some other thread? I did read a bunch on AO3 before I found this site and some of them were new but I don’t know if any of those authors also write here.

#1077 Reply
                    Ladama

Yes, 2007-08 was definitely the peak fanfic time at MTT (and for the Office in general). Writers Deedledee, more_awake and dedeen were writing good stuff in the later seasons. I also like all of watchthesky84‘s oneshots. There’s a lot of good stuff in the most recent section also. If you come across anything you like definitely leave a review especially if it’s a more recently active author. Since we don’t have kudos like AO3* it’s the best way to show authors their stuff is being read and enjoyed!

#1079 Reply
                      Candi
                      Employee

I will definitely do that. Yikes- I read a TON of good fics before I was officially a member and now I feel bad that I didn’t leave reviews. I’ll have to start working on that after I finish this last chapter I’m writing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      Reply To: Reply #1067 in The General Fanfic Discussion Thread
                      General Reply Rules: Be polite and make sure your content is Safe For Work (SFW).
                      Registered Users will have their first reply moderated. All replies from non-registered users are moderated. Please allow 24hrs for your reply to be approved before contacting us.
                      Your information: