•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
I want to take out an ad in your yearbook. Full page, two words.

Author Topic: Sports #3: I will use your talents come baseball season, my friend.  (Read 2981 times)

Callisto

• Human Resources
  • Schrute Bucks: 1214
New thread!
Love is a cunning weaver of fables and fantasies. - Sappho

Callisto

• Human Resources
Junior Seau committed suicide.  :(  Even though he played for our rivals, it was impossible not to like him - such a classy guy and a great, great player. RIP.

jinx

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 129
  • Hi Hey
Junior Seau committed suicide.  :(  Even though he played for our rivals, it was impossible not to like him - such a classy guy and a great, great player. RIP.
Amen

Such a tragedy.
And when it happens, it's going to kick your ass, Beesly. So... stay sharp.

khand3stooges

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 587
So sad about Seau. Growing up a USC fan I have always loved him. He was such a good ambassador for the game. It's sad that is seems he had such sorrow in his life. My prayers are with his family.

On a brighter note Jared Weaver just pitched a no hitter for the Angels. It's a nice night for what has been a slow start.

rahenson1

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 69
Go Kings Go!  Up 3-0 again.  Put 'em away!  Oh and in the other West series it's that wimp ex-Stars coach we ran out of town because he couldn't win in the playoffs  >:(  Uh we haven't been back since and they've made it at least twice (I think three times).

No-hitter for Weaver was nice.  I missed it tracking the Caps/NY Rangers game.  Sad for my bro as he stayed up late to watch only to have them lose in 3 OT.  Gotta get 'em Saturday.

First thing I thought about on Seau was concussions.  Didn't have any evidence at the time, but it sounds like my intuition was right.  A tragedy.  If any help on concussions comes from it then a small result from the tragedy is possible.

Big story today is reported ACL tear from Mariano Rivera of the Yankees.  No surprise that as a Rangers fan I don't like the Yankees.  But I've always respected him and Jeter (and while they were there Williams and Posada).  Guys they drafted and are unquestionably elite HOF players.  Lots of fans boo Jeter in starting lineup, less so when he comes to bat.  I don't cheer for him as he's on the other team, but what possible reason do I have to hate a guy who stayed with the team that drafted him?  Both guys play hard every day.  I'd love them to death if they'd spent the last almost 20 years in Texas.  Want to boo Teixeira and ARod Rangers fans?  Go right ahead.  Both bailed on our team and insulted it on the way out.
The boat was actually Plan C.  The church was Plan B.  And Plan A was marrying her a long, long time ago.  Pretty much the day I met her.

khand3stooges

• Regional Manager
WOOHOO! I was at the Kings game tonight. The place was very loud. Kind of disappointed in a few jerky fans, but overall o.k. I unfortunately sat behind someone who felt he had to stand up every time the Kings had a scoring chance. >:( I would like to be more comfortable about them closing this out. I only can relax when that 4th game is won.

I was sorry to hear about Rivera. I have learned to tolerate him and even respect him for the great player he is. That doesn't mean I want the Angels to face him. :) Well after the great game last night the Angels were back to their ways. Zero runs once again. :-\

bitterpill

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 242
  • Thanks to chel1395
Coming out of lurkdom to say that as a lifelong Yankees fan, I'm devastated.  I thought I would be if this was indeed to be Mo's final season, but I thought I would have an entire season to prepare myself.

I know accidents happen (my father's passing a few months ago is much sadder proof of that) but it's frustrating to see the greatest closer of all time (IMO) taken out by something that wasn't a game-related injury (not that it would make it that much easier to take, but still).  I'm sure my Dad is griping about this as I type, and that brings a smile to my face.

I do hope that Mo heals for himself and gets back to the strength he had before the accident.  Whether or not he ever comes back to pitch is secondary to his health and well-being.  If this injury does end his career, I can say I had the pleasure of watching a true class act and supreme pitcher help my favorite team succeed for a very long time.
Hi, everyone.  My name is Pam and I wear glasses.

khand3stooges

• Regional Manager
Unbelievable the Kings just swept the Blues! This has been both thrilling and nerve wracking to watch. I want to stay positive about this team, but history doesn't give me any hope they can keep going. ;)

rahenson1

• Sales Associate
The good news is there is no history for this kh :) No 8 seed ever took down the 1 and 2 seeds.  Just remember all my good will cheering for the Kings when the Rangers are playing deep into October after Anaheim has gone home for the season ;) That is if we can ever win a series again *shrugs* Oh and Pujols hit a HR so even more good news huh?
The boat was actually Plan C.  The church was Plan B.  And Plan A was marrying her a long, long time ago.  Pretty much the day I met her.

khand3stooges

• Regional Manager
You got it! The way the Angels are playing I think you will be worrying about the A's or the Mariners first. ;)
I was lucky enough to go to both of the Stanley Cup final games in 93, but with the prices now and three kids still at home the chances are slim and none if we make it. I'm very nervous to play either the Coyotes or the Predators.

rahenson1

• Sales Associate
Re: Sports #3: I will use your talents come baseball season, my friend.
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 09:19:59 AM »
An absurd beast of a game from Hamilton last night.  Set the American League record for total bases, tied the MLB record for HR and set a career high in RBI.  He went 5 for 5 with 4 HR, one double and 8 RBI.  And since it was against Baltimore my bro up in DC got to watch on tv too!  Oh and Hamilton's last at bat Monday?  Also a two run HR.

rahenson1

• Sales Associate
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 11:53:07 PM »
Really wanted to win yesterday's Rangers game off CJ.  I can't even guess how long it's been since a guy started and lost on two consecutive days.  I'm guessing possibly 1800s.  Consolation prize was drilling Weaver for his first loss.

Going to be very busy at Staples Center huh?  Kings, Lakers and even Clippers using it over the next two+ weeks.  Congrats on another win :) Sorry to Callisto if you're a Nuggets fan.  Don't recall you talking about them, but sad for a team from your town to lose. 

Also be very careful when typing that team name on iPhone!  Not sure what error I made (guessing i for u). Ended up with autocorrect that would be exceedingly inappropriate.

Callisto

• Human Resources
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 12:02:10 AM »
Sorry to Callisto if you're a Nuggets fan.  Don't recall you talking about them, but sad for a team from your town to lose. 

Yeah, I really enjoyed the game 5 and 6 wins, and I was hopeful they could pull it off last night, but I can't say I was surprised.  Now I guess I'll root for OKC, as I have always hated the Lakers.  (Sorry LA fans.) I still like the Celtics, too.  Unfortunately, once my team is out, I only pay passing attention to most of the other matchups till we get to the Finals.  Same with hockey. I gotta say, though, Kings are on fire! Wouldn't mind seeing them make a run for it. 

khand3stooges

• Regional Manager
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 12:05:31 AM »
Yea it's hard being a Kings fan in LA. The Lakers dominate most all the talk. Even the Clippers are hardly mentioned and for the Kings and them it's such a big deal they are doing this well.
I made my family go to a sports bar for dinner tonight to watch the Kings game. It was fun but ended up being quite expensive. My oldest had some friends join in the fun. :)

rahenson1

• Sales Associate
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 11:55:59 PM »
Rangers are listing lately.  Bugs me they aren't racking up more wins against dregs like KC.  But in other news GO KINGS GO!  Three straight 3-0 leads!  My brother noticed that if they face NY it'll be the hardest possible playoff schedule (regarding all 1 seeds, etc as historical equals).  And NY would have the easiest of all time.  LA would go through 1,2,3,1 and NY would play 8,7,6,8.  Weird huh?