•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
Congratulations, universe. You win.

Author Topic: Sports #3: I will use your talents come baseball season, my friend.  (Read 3213 times)

jinx

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 129
  • Hi Hey
Re: Sports #3: I will use your talents come baseball season, my friend.
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2012, 11:09:56 AM »
CONGRATS to the LA Kings and their fans.  Tremendous Stanley Cup playoff run.  Very exciting.

I'm not the greatest hockey fan anymore but while I was growing up I used to watch a lot of games and go to Maple Leaf Gardens as much as possible to get autographs and watch games.  We have not had a winner in TO for 47 years.  My family is full of die hard hockey fans (Leafs and Canadians).  Since I don't follow hockey very closely in the regular season my Kings pick at the start of the playoffs was not taken too seriously.  Great victory for the team and I loved watching all of the post game interviews on CBC last night.  Say what you will about professional athletes, hockey players are a very fun loving and hard working bunch of guys with a real 'team' mentality.

Okay, now on to baseball.

rahenson, I feel good about the Rangers chances again this year but they do have some serious competition in the AL.  I'm feeling the Nationals are really talented and equally important, focused and cohesive this year.  So far this season there are some great races in both leagues which have resulted in some very exciting games to watch.  Drew Doughtey and will continue to support our Blue Jays even though the AL East is super tight so far.
And when it happens, it's going to kick your ass, Beesly. So... stay sharp.

khand3stooges

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 587
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2012, 05:37:21 PM »
My last hockey post. I was able to go to the parade and rally yesterday. What a great end to such a fun playoff run for LA. I'm actually really proud of the way the city responded and celebrated this win.I heard only 4 arrest were made Monday night.
I don't know if it's been talked about nationally but Quick let some language fly during the rally that didn't get censored. He had been celebrating a bit too much and I'm sure in hindsight he wouldn't do it again. It was funny, but I can understand those who maybe didn't find it appropriate. It definitely got a reaction from the stands. Never been to any parade or rally before, it's a great way for the players to interact and thank the fans. LA hockey is not talked about much but take it from someone who has gone to games year after year to watch horrible teams, we are passionate here about our Kings. ;D

Callisto

• Human Resources
  • Schrute Bucks: 1214
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2012, 06:20:52 PM »
Awesome, kh.  One of our sports radio guys made a smart remark the other day that the Clippers probably have more fans than the Kings in LA.  I'm glad to hear your hockey team is well supported! 

Cute about Quick.  I haven't seen or heard anything about that, but it always amuses me when people are horrified by colorful language. It makes me think of "A Christmas Story" where Ralphie's mom is demanding where he heard that word! And he ends up telling on a friend when in fact he heard it from his own father every day for the last 11 years!  :D
Love is a cunning weaver of fables and fantasies. - Sappho

jinx

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 129
  • Hi Hey
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2012, 11:18:10 AM »
How sad are we?  The Olympic Games started on Friday and nary a comment on this thread.

I'm not really invested in any of it and Canada certainly doesn't have many strong medal chances (only 2 bronze so far) but these athletes have worked very hard for their chance to compete in this forum.  Respect and admiration for their dedication and efforts.

Sorry Americans but of the 4 channels I can watch the games on, NBC is by far the worst.  What is wrong with NBC and when will they turn it around?
And when it happens, it's going to kick your ass, Beesly. So... stay sharp.

khand3stooges

• Regional Manager
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2012, 03:19:47 PM »
NBC is getting slammed for their coverage. I guess I'm not that picky when it comes to watching. I just go to all the NBC channels (I get 3) and look what is on. I can pretty much watch all of them for a while. As far as the delay goes. Not many people would watch live so I understand them delaying. It's the nature of the beast now with twitter, facebook and every other media outlet that will instantly fill you in.

kreidy

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 487
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2012, 04:50:40 PM »
I've watched a few events so far, and I'm most impressed by the opening ceremony. I loved how British it was, and I thought it was a brilliant move of Danny Boyle to have some British humour on display as well. It certainly showed that they didn't take themselves too seriously.

I'm in Norway, so we watch everything live. (We always watch the Olympics live regardless of where they are. I still remember getting up in the middle of the night to watch the Nagano games in 1998.) I cannot believe NBC is using this outdated and ancient model of airing events. Seriously? You don't think people will know already, what with newspapers, facebook, twitter etc? So weird.  ??? I also thought it was extremely disrespectful of NBC to cut the British tribute to the victims of 7/7 from the opening ceremony.

Anyway, we don't have a lot of chances at winning gold medals - the winter Olympics are our forte - but I've watched quite a bit of handball. Handball might be a tiny sport compared to all the other sports in the summer Olympics, but it's one of the most popular sports in this country.

I also ended up watching synchronized diving today, and I was absolutely horrified by the ugly German bathing suits. Yikes. :o

"I'm always thinking one step ahead. Like a carpenter that makes stairs." - Andy

khand3stooges

• Regional Manager
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2012, 05:16:46 PM »
I never even heard of handball until this year. I love it, it's a little of many sports. Good luck!

rahenson1

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 69
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2012, 01:05:50 PM »
Replaying sports isn't just an Olympics thing here in the U.S.  Lots of regional sports channels replay a day baseball game that night or the next morning.  I guess they figure (and based on ratings they're right) that people will still watch how something happened even if they know what happened.
The boat was actually Plan C.  The church was Plan B.  And Plan A was marrying her a long, long time ago.  Pretty much the day I met her.

Callisto

• Human Resources
  • Schrute Bucks: 1214
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2012, 08:11:09 PM »
A friend of mine just moved to Denmark, and posted yesterday that there was an inexplicably heavy coverage of Danish badminton. That she'd never seen so much badminton news in her life.  So I had to chuckle this morning at the scandal - seriously, throwing games?! I never even knew badminton was an Olympic sport. To me it's always been something you did at a backyard barbecue.  :D
Love is a cunning weaver of fables and fantasies. - Sappho

kreidy

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 487
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2012, 01:40:55 PM »
The Danes are really into badminton and tennis, and the referee (who first thought something weird was going on during the women's badminton matches) was Danish.

Speaking of rather unknown sports, we won an incredibly surprising silver medal in fencing yesterday. The guy literally came out of nowhere, and in the matter of a couple of hours the entire country went nuts over fencing. Almost 20% (!!) of the entire population watched the live fencing finale last night, lol.  :D

"I'm always thinking one step ahead. Like a carpenter that makes stairs." - Andy

Italian_Food

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 235
  • Oh, Good Lord...
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2012, 04:09:26 PM »
I'm really into the women's gymnastics and swimming.  (Hello, Michael Phelps... there is something very JK about him... I'll just see myself out now!)

My 4 year old is obsessed with diving and rowing.  The diving I can handle, but rowing is so boring to watch.
-"Beesley, are you threatening me?"
-"Jim! Jim, Jim, Jim. I'm not threatening you. I love you. But you should know, you're on very dangerous ground."

rahenson1

• Sales Associate
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2012, 08:53:16 AM »
Three cheers for King Felux and his perfect game earlier this week.  Had to be right at the top of the least surprising candidates to throw one, but a remarkable feat all the same.  And now that Texas is out of NY let's get back to winning shall we?  Not that Toronto has been much better a destination for us these last few years  :-[
The boat was actually Plan C.  The church was Plan B.  And Plan A was marrying her a long, long time ago.  Pretty much the day I met her.

khand3stooges

• Regional Manager
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2012, 07:55:09 PM »
rahenson1 how many more games do the Rangers have with the A's? They just keep surprising me. The Angels are finally taking advantage of some soft games, but are having trouble capitalizing on the wins. It's a really fun season with all the close races.

Bummed out by the possible lock out for hockey. I believe that will be a huge mistake for the sport. :(

rahenson1

• Sales Associate
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2012, 09:08:11 AM »
Not looking at the schedule I'd guess six or seven with the A's and Angels each.  I know our last home series is versus Anaheim and the last series is at Oakland.  I'd guess the A's come here and we go to Anaheim on another trip.  Wish we had Boston still.  That seems like three guaranteed wins right now.  They are an absolute train wreck.  Not Bobby's fault entirely, but he has to go and probably before season's end.

I only found out about the possible lockout for NHL a couple of weeks ago.  Frankly if they don't play til November I won't care.  Even my parents finally dropped their ticket plan.  Long time since the Stars were relevant in Dallas.

rahenson1

• Sales Associate
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2012, 12:25:22 AM »
10 days to go in the season.  Things are settling down in the NL.  Congrats to Nats, Reds and Giants fans.  Two divisions down and the Nats are guaranteed at least a WC spot.  Last spot down to a few teams trying to catch the Cards.  AL is more open.  O's/Yanks one game apart with each in very good WC shape, Sox/Tigers also one game apart.  Rangers are in very good shape, A's in position for a WC.  Angels and Rays hoping for a white hot finish to run someone down.  Time to lock it down and get our trophy Rangers!  Three wins against Oakland over the seven games and either one more win or one more A's loss should get it done.