•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
Do I believe that Michael possesses the skills to survive in an hostile environment?  Let's put it this way... No, I do not.

Poll

Your browser of choice?

FireFox
IE
Safari
Chrome
Opera
Other

Author Topic: The Technology Thread: Computers Are About Murdering You In a Lake  (Read 13096 times)

EmilyHalpert

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 603
  • waiting on your supernova...
    • LJ
Re: The Technology Thread: A machine told me to drive into a lake
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2007, 10:57:43 PM »
What anti spyware software do people here use? I have ad aware and spybot search and destroy. They do an okay job but are probably behind the times by now.

Thats what I use along with Norton AntiVirus. But my computer is crap. I am going to do a complete restore in January and just restart it that way. Too much crap, programs, etc.

dm

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 882
  • Allons-y
    • My Recipe Blog
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2007, 11:52:30 PM »
I just use ad aware. I had a trial version of McAfee that I un-installed because it was more a pain in the ass than a protector of evil, also terrible space hog. I have the built in firewall and that's it. I don't download or click on things I'm not supposed to. That way I never have to say "It all happened so fast!"
Check out my icons at LJ.

PamWannaBe

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 340
  • The Teapot of Love
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 06:22:20 AM »
We use ad aware, spybot and AVG anitvirus.  So far, so good.  We haven't had any problems that haven't been caught.  Of course, Mr. PWB makes a point of setting things up to automatically pick up updates and has a regular run schedule for them.  He's good like that.   ;D

It doesn't help apparently, if you have something and never use it.  I hear this frequently.   ;)

colette

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3385
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 06:41:15 AM »
Was just using Norton Anti-Virus and Ad Aware, but I got the blue screen of death a few days ago - seriously, they could make a horror film showing nothing but that screen - and EH rec'd Spy Sweeper (from Webroot) to me. I got it online on sale for 19.95/year.

In other techno indignities, my monitor died last night. Luckily, it was still under waranty, so after 2 hours (!!!!) on the phone with Dell, they finally said they'd send me a new one (after cutting me off like three times, and making me 'test' like five things that were clearly irrelevant.) I love computers. Not.  ::)

An unrelated techno question:

does anyone have FiOS TV from Verizon? We just got this 'bundle' offer, that would include TV (bye bye cable), DVR, 'faster' internet (currently have DSL), wireless and regular phone service and would save around $100/month. (For a limited time, they're also throwing in a free cell phone, a 19" HD TV and a modem/router.)

Sounds too good to be true - and changing over all those things at once would be a hassle, so I'm interested on opinions about the quality, service, etc. before I consider it. Anyone?

susanita

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 1664
  • She'll always be Beesly to me.
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 12:20:11 PM »
What anti spyware software do people here use? I have ad aware and spybot search and destroy. They do an okay job but are probably behind the times by now.

I use Firefox and that does a great job of blocking unwanted ads and popups, and I also have the No Script extension, so that blocks sites from running scripts, unless I authorize them too.  It's a bit tedious at first because you have to authorize all the sites that you frequent, but eventually it all runs smoothly. 

does anyone have FiOS TV from Verizon? We just got this 'bundle' offer, that would include TV (bye bye cable), DVR, 'faster' internet (currently have DSL), wireless and regular phone service and would save around $100/month. (For a limited time, they're also throwing in a free cell phone, a 19" HD TV and a modem/router.)

Sounds too good to be true - and changing over all those things at once would be a hassle, so I'm interested on opinions about the quality, service, etc. before I consider it. Anyone?

RIP monitor.  :( What a pain. You're so lucky it was still under warranty.   I have Verizon DSL and I'm tempted to go for one of those bundle plans, since I have cell and regular phone service with them already.  The only thing I'm afraid of is that once you're locked in, after the special runs out, they'll jack the prices through the roof.   :-\
"Jenna is made of awesome, she looks awesome, is awesome to other people and I bet she smells even better than freshly baked cookies.
Anyone who doesn't get that needs awesome lessons." ~ lisahoo

supergirlsudz

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 324
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2007, 12:21:55 PM »
The only thing I'm afraid of is that once you're locked in, after the special runs out, they'll jack the prices through the roof.

Same here. My cable company has one of those bundle deals and I remember reading in the fine print that after six months the price goes up. Tricky bastards.

colette

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3385
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2007, 12:29:15 PM »

RIP monitor.  :( What a pain. You're so lucky it was still under warranty.   I have Verizon DSL and I'm tempted to go for one of those bundle plans, since I have cell and regular phone service with them already.  The only thing I'm afraid of is that once you're locked in, after the special runs out, they'll jack the prices through the roof.   :-\

Trust me - I'm the girl whose technology invariably bites the dust the day after the warranty ends. This is unprecedented.  :)

Yeah, I thought about the price jumping after a short time, but you can sign a 12 or 24 month contract, so I don't think it will. And even without all the giveaways, I just figured out we'd save like 150/month.

But, like I said, changing over all those services would be a pain (I'm also the girl who invariably experiences whatever glitch only happens to 1 in 1000 customers - and it takes 19 service calls to sort out.) So I really want to make sure the internet really is 3x faster than my DSL, that the FiOS tv quality really is there, etc. before converting.

Too Late Kev

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 1414
    • Twitter
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2007, 02:27:43 PM »
I got a cordless mouse for Christmas, and it's pretty cool.  There's one piece (the receiver) which attaches to the computer just where the mouse usually does.  The receiver talks to the mouse, so the computer knows what the mouse is doing, and I don't have a cord on my mouse to catch on things on my desk.

I recommend it. :)

dm

• Regional Manager
  • Allons-y
    • My Recipe Blog
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2007, 02:51:45 PM »
My mom bought my aunt a cordless/wireless mouse for Xmas too. She loves it, and it's a smaller sized one so it fits perfectly in her little hand.

onceuponajam

• Jr. Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 18
  • An exchange of steak!
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2008, 03:29:16 PM »
We're also considering that Verizon FiOS package. Haven't been able to find too much information on it though, the Verizon web site doesn't seem to wanna give it up. I'm interested in hearing anything anyone's got about it, too.

Grrr . . . technology is not agreeing with me lately. I recently reformatted my hard drive because of how corrupted it got, and now it's working okay - except for the sound card, which doesn't seem to recognize itself after the reformat. Does anyone have any advice for me on how to reinstall my sound card? (It's a Dell, if that helps).

Also, my iPod was giving me a hard time yesterday, but luckily I was able to talk to a friend who had experienced similar issues with hers and knew how to resolve it. :)

Hear that? The sound of a thousand fangirls fainting simultaneously.

EverybodyHurts

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 2102
  • "Absolutely!"
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2008, 07:52:49 PM »
onceuponajam,
I'm sure you did this, but just wanted to make sure you reinstalled all your drivers as well, so that your sound and video cards work. 

dm

• Regional Manager
  • Allons-y
    • My Recipe Blog
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2008, 01:09:32 AM »
That happened to me onceuponajam when I reformatted. I had to go to Windows' site (I think) and do a search on what I had and re-install the driver. You think it knows, but it doesn't.

susanita

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 1664
  • She'll always be Beesly to me.
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2008, 10:20:21 AM »
That happened to me onceuponajam when I reformatted. I had to go to Windows' site (I think) and do a search on what I had and re-install the driver. You think it knows, but it doesn't.

This whole conversation was so confusing to me, until I remembered that I have a Mac.  ::)  Yeah, a Mac just knows.
"Jenna is made of awesome, she looks awesome, is awesome to other people and I bet she smells even better than freshly baked cookies.
Anyone who doesn't get that needs awesome lessons." ~ lisahoo

supergirlsudz

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 324
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2008, 09:17:20 PM »
Anybody ever have a problem with their laptop's touchpad? Mine has been acting a little wonky the past couple of days. Like I will try to scroll down a page like I normally would but the cursor doesn't go anywhere. Or I will click an icon, there's a slight lag. Like when using the toolbar while posting, I'll click the B button to bold something and the tags will show up twice.

Anyone ever experience this? Or is this just another sign that I'm going nuts? I have a lame-o Dell Inspiron laptop.

lisahoo

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3270
  • such a dork (I <3 you)
    • lisahoo.livejournal.com
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2008, 01:07:54 PM »
Ok, clueless person alert.  I think I want an iPod, but I know zippy about this stuff.  I feel like I've been in technology hibernation since I stopped working outside the home five years ago (holy crap, has it been that long?)

I have $100 in Target GC's, so I started looking there.  Do I want one with video?  Is it worth the expense?  I have some stuff on my PC I wouldn't mind watching elsewhere.    Is 4GB enough for a video iPod (the Nano), or should I spend more to get the 8GB or more? 

I don't have a lot of mp3's yet, but if I invest in this, I can see buying stuff off of iTunes or putting stuff from my CD's on there.  The main reason I don't listen to my music is that I don't have a stereo in my office and my CD's are all in the basement, but if I had a player, I think I'd use it more.  Plus I could call it a bribe to get out and walk more.

I think I want this one, but I'm open to thoughts from you experienced folks.  Too bad I can't find a Prism Duro Sport.  (they're like an i-Pod only they're better 'cause they're chunkier and more solid).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 01:14:58 PM by lisahoo »