•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
I don't hate it.  I just don't like it at all and it's terrible.

Poll

Your browser of choice?

FireFox
IE
Safari
Chrome
Opera
Other

Author Topic: The Technology Thread: Computers Are About Murdering You In a Lake  (Read 13097 times)

twentythree

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 37
  • Brotally!
Re: The Technology Thread: A machine told me to drive into a lake
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2008, 01:25:41 PM »
Ok, clueless person alert.  I think I want an iPod, but I know zippy about this stuff.  I feel like I've been in technology hibernation since I stopped working outside the home five years ago (holy crap, has it been that long?)

I have $100 in Target GC's, so I started looking there.  Do I want one with video?  Is it worth the expense?  I have some stuff on my PC I wouldn't mind watching elsewhere.    Is 4GB enough for a video iPod (the Nano), or should I spend more to get the 8GB or more? 

I don't have a lot of mp3's yet, but if I invest in this, I can see buying stuff off of iTunes or putting stuff from my CD's on there.  The main reason I don't listen to my music is that I don't have a stereo in my office and my CD's are all in the basement, but if I had a player, I think I'd use it more.  Plus I could call it a bribe to get out and walk more.

I think I want this one, but I'm open to thoughts from you experienced folks.  Too bad I can't find a Prism Duro Sport.  (they're like an i-Pod only they're better 'cause they're chunkier and more solid).

Video is not worth the expirence, honestly.  The screen on the Nano is tiny and you won't be able to see much of anything, I don't think. I have a classic (80 gb) and sometimes I find that screen troublesome, and I rarely watch video...so yeah, you don't really need to be able to see video. But I love my iPod. I've rarely had trouble with it, and it holds so much music (but again, mine is 80 gb). Are you a big music person? How much music do you have. If the answer is "a lot" I would go with the 8 gb. It's a little more expensive, but worth it.

If you do plan on buying from iTunes, be warned that you can't play the music on any other player. It's only for the Ipod. I really do like the iTunes interface. I find it super easy to put in and take out music when you have the iPod plugged in, and I just like using it when I'm playing music on my computer. I love it.

I hope that helped!

colette

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3385
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2008, 01:30:25 PM »
And another clueless techno question:

We are a PC/Windows household - on a wireless network (using a Linksys router, though I don't think the manufacturer matters, right?)

My brother may be getting a new laptop through his job - and if so, has offered to pass along his current one (not sure of model, but very good, fully loaded, only 1 yr. old.) Only issue - it's a Mac, with an Airport wireless connection built-in.

I'm not concerned about compatibility in general - I'd pretty much just use it for basic stuff, like Word and going online - but will my wireless router work with Airport?

I desperately need my own notebook - am currently sharing a desk top and it's like sharing a toothbrush - so invasive. So, I hope the answer is yes.  :)

ETA: I assume it must be okay, because if you go somewhere with public internet access, you can connect regardless of whether you have airport, d-link, linksys, etc. right?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 01:33:12 PM by colette »

vailfiregirl

• Assistant (to the) Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 449
    • Such A Dork Screencaps
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2008, 04:06:40 PM »
colette, you should be fine.  I have a mac that connects to a linksys router and it works perfectly.  The only problem I had was setting up the wireless router with my mac, but I used my roommate's computer and it was fine.

lisahoo, I have the 30gb Video and I very rarely watch video on it.  I used to watch Lost on it when I took public transportation to work, but it was kind of small.  With all the music and video I own, it's still less than half full.  It's pretty fun to have everything I own with me at all times, so if I decide I want to listen to Christmas music in July on a road trip, I can, but I don't really need as much room as I have.  I just got the older version of the Nano (2gb) and it's really surprising how much will fit on it.  1000 songs is a lot for just running around.  I mostly just use it when I go on walks, but I could put more on it and use it more.

EverybodyHurts

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 2102
  • "Absolutely!"
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2008, 04:17:17 PM »
colette,
Your router should work fine.  The only issue would be if your router has the security enabled.  You would have to type in the code/password when you initially log in for the first time.  I have my security enabled, so that random computer users in my building can't log on using my internet connection.  I have my security codes written down so that when I get a new laptop someday, I'll be able to connect with my router. 

lisahoo,
I got my daughter the standard 30gb video ipod, because that's how she initially watched The Office episodes.  Of course, that's no longer an option, so I would think a smaller one would be suitable for your music needs.

Swedge

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 2402
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2008, 04:47:02 PM »
Ok, clueless person alert.  I think I want an iPod, but I know zippy about this stuff.  I feel like I've been in technology hibernation since I stopped working outside the home five years ago (holy crap, has it been that long?)

I have $100 in Target GC's, so I started looking there.  Do I want one with video?  Is it worth the expense?  I have some stuff on my PC I wouldn't mind watching elsewhere.    Is 4GB enough for a video iPod (the Nano), or should I spend more to get the 8GB or more? 

I don't have a lot of mp3's yet, but if I invest in this, I can see buying stuff off of iTunes or putting stuff from my CD's on there.  The main reason I don't listen to my music is that I don't have a stereo in my office and my CD's are all in the basement, but if I had a player, I think I'd use it more.  Plus I could call it a bribe to get out and walk more.

I think I want this one, but I'm open to thoughts from you experienced folks.  Too bad I can't find a Prism Duro Sport.  (they're like an i-Pod only they're better 'cause they're chunkier and more solid).
Yes you want that nano. That's just right for you. Keep in mind you don't have to carry around everything you have on it, so storage capacity isn't the issue it might seem to be. 4 gb is probably plenty for your needs for the forseeable future.

lisahoo

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3270
  • such a dork (I <3 you)
    • lisahoo.livejournal.com
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2008, 05:00:56 PM »
Now you realize, I'm going to want a speaker dock and other stuff.  [/good little capitalist]

Target is offering $20 off this Cygnett Groove Power Pack iPod Accessory Kit if you buy them together.  I take it the charger, etc. aren't included then *grumble*.  Does that seem like a good deal to you iPod-people or a rip-off?

« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 05:06:13 PM by lisahoo »

vailfiregirl

• Such A Dork Screencaps
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2008, 05:12:41 PM »
No, that stuff isn't included.  But you can charge your iPod by connecting it to the computer.  I do have a wall charger which is nice.  I don't have a car charger because I have the thing that makes it play through the radio (that's the technical name  ;)) and it doubles as a charger.  (I also broke it in Scranton and now it won't stand up right, but that's another story.)  I probably wouldn't get the kit - you'll never use most of it and you can probably get a wall charger cheaper.

lisahoo

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3270
  • such a dork (I <3 you)
    • lisahoo.livejournal.com
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2008, 05:19:20 PM »
Good to know.  Maybe I'll go to the store and see what's in the iPod box.  And just get the wall charger and a set of speakers.  Cool.

onceuponajam

• Jr. Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 18
  • An exchange of steak!
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2008, 06:00:52 PM »
I love my 30g iPod*, and I just got an iHome for xmas which has been fantastically useful, especially because of my computer issue (which I finally resolved today - thanks, guys). I don't have a wall charger - I don't usually need one, because I'm never far from a computer that I can just plug into. Depending on how much they cost, I may just spring for one anyway, as a "just in case". Do you guys know how much one would cost me?

*Despite how angry I was at Taquito the other day for glitching, my iPod is pretty much a necessity. I remember years ago, naively saying, "I'm perfectly happy with my Walkman, what do I need an expensive iPod for?" *sigh* It's almost completely full, though, so I'm either going to have to take off some stuff (which I don't really want to do - I have SO MUCH music) or consider buying a supplemental Shuffle.

Hear that? The sound of a thousand fangirls fainting simultaneously.

supergirlsudz

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 324
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2008, 06:22:28 PM »
I desperately need my own notebook - am currently sharing a desk top and it's like sharing a toothbrush - so invasive.

After getting my own laptop, I would never be able to go back to sharing a computer with someone else! Crazy how that happens. I remember for years and years my family sharing one old, slow computer. Last week my roommate left her laptop power cord at work and asked if she could use my laptop to check her email. It really did feel like I was letting her borrow my toothbrush or something!

Re: iPods. I also think the nano sounds like a good deal for you, Lisa. I have a 30 GB Video iPod and I really only use the video part when I'm in an airport or on a long subway ride. Also, the video eats the battery like no other. I don't really think it's worth it.

Also, you don't need to buy a charger, although it certainly makes things more convenient. You can charge your iPod by just hooking it up to your computer via the USB cable that comes with it. I used to use the wall charger but now I have speakers that are also a dock. iPods are fun times.  :)

colette

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3385
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2008, 07:06:37 PM »
Thanks, vailfiregirl and EH...good to know. I thought it was okay, but wanted to be sure. Of course with my typically tragic techno-fate, I'll be the one person in history to have a problem with it.  ::)

Now I just need to pray that my techno-blessed brother is indeed given yet another notebook and I can collect his hand-me-downs.

PamWannaBe

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 340
  • The Teapot of Love
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2008, 07:54:12 PM »
I desperately need my own notebook - am currently sharing a desk top and it's like sharing a toothbrush - so invasive. So, I hope the answer is yes.  :)

I can so relate, colette.  After Mr. PWB refused to let me get my own after almost 2 years of sharing with the younger kids, I went on e-bay one night and got my own.  Nothing fancy, but all mine.   :D

I hope it works out for you.   ;)

lisahoo, my daughter swears by her hot pink i-pod.  Loves it.  Can't sleep without it.  Hers, I think, is only 2GB.  Of course, that's because she's on her third one and couldn't afford anything more when I refused to replace it - again.   Warning..... do not let it go through the washer.   :-\

spencer_0123

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2008, 07:38:26 PM »
I'm not too sure if this is the right thread to ask this, so let me know if it's not!
I've noticed that there are some internet savy people on here, and I was wondering if anyone knows how to/ if it's possible to download video from a site that's running it through an adobe player? (in this particular case people.com)
I'd appreciate any help at all!

vailfiregirl

• Such A Dork Screencaps
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2008, 07:08:25 PM »
Re: Video iPods. The screen is small but I got an adapter which allowed me to connect the iPod to the TV and watch it that way.:)

Okay, technology question. I currently have a Sony Vaio laptop. It's almost 4 years old and it's slowly dying. I don't think the touchpad is happy with me anymore either. So, my question: any suggestions on what brand I should get? I did like my Sony but it was really loud. I'm thinking about a Mac but while I have experience with a Mac, I don't want to have problems with my PC desktop. I'm probably going to use it a lot for media things and regular files.  Nothing extremely major. However, it needs to be portable.
  I lurve my macbook.  I don't really have many problems moving files between my mac and my work PC. 

Swedge

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 2402
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2008, 09:34:32 PM »
A techie question in case anyone here has experience and knows the answer.

A couple of hours ago I downloaded and installed firefox beta 3 and was running it just fine.

Then I shut down for a bit, came back and now it boots me up with firefox 2.0x and I had to relog in to some sites (like gmail) that i normally auto-logged into. I can't figure out how to get firefox 3 back without reinstalling it.