•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
If you want to win, you gotta fuel like a winner.

Poll

Your browser of choice?

FireFox
IE
Safari
Chrome
Opera
Other

Author Topic: The Technology Thread: Computers Are About Murdering You In a Lake  (Read 13536 times)

dinknflicker

• Assistant (to the) Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 227
Re: The Technology Thread: Computers Are About Murdering You In a Lake
« Reply #735 on: September 29, 2010, 08:08:50 AM »
Does anyone know why, in Heaven's name, can't you download songs from one iPod to another?
I never know.  I just say it. I say stuff like that, you know, to lighten the tension when things sorta get hard." "That's what she said."

Vampiric Blood

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 483
« Reply #736 on: October 07, 2010, 12:17:46 AM »
Anyone using an e-reader?  I'm thinking of getting one because I am always lugging around a tonne of printed pdf articles to read.  I hate reading them off a monitor or my laptop, I feel like I can't concentrate like I do with paper.  Thought an e-reader might be a nice compromise.  I would love some feedback on them if you've worked with one.
thanks!

I got Mr. Blood a Kindle for Christmas last year.  He's enjoyed reading his books on it.  It's much easier for travelling, as he doesn't have the weight of several books to lug around.  It was a HUGE pain in the arse to get the thing de-linked from our regular Amazon account.  It was a problem because our Young Blood got him a gift card to buy some Kindle books but the user interface wouldn't let him USE the gift card.  It kept automatically billing our Amazon account.  He ended up having to create a separate user account just for the Kindle.  I don't remember exactly how that fixed things but they gave him a credit or something.  I definitely remember a fair number of expletives were flying in our house between Christmas and New Years last year...  He happily buys and downloads books with abandon now, though.

This year he's asking for an iPad for Christmas...  He says they're more flexible.  Not sure what we'll do with the Kindle if I get him the iPad...

bcd

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 142
« Reply #737 on: October 07, 2010, 01:02:08 AM »
Thanks VB.  I was thinking of an ipad too but I really just need it for reading and I'm not a fan of reading things that are backlit.  It's nice to know it is something he really uses.
Don't truffle with me. /Michael
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.  Eleanor Roosevelt
Most people would succeed in small things if they were not troubled with great ambitions.  Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

SnoWhiteSally

• CEO
  • Schrute Bucks: 860
  • Looking for her Jim.
    • Sally's Boutique
« Reply #738 on: October 07, 2010, 06:44:28 AM »
VB. I'm really interested in the new kindle but need to know how big the font can go?

kreidy

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 487
« Reply #739 on: October 18, 2010, 05:55:52 PM »
My kindle was bought this summer, and the font can get pretty big. I just checked, and if you use the largest font, the capitalized letter is about 1 cm.

"I'm always thinking one step ahead. Like a carpenter that makes stairs." - Andy

Vampiric Blood

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 483
« Reply #740 on: October 19, 2010, 12:16:12 AM »
Sorry, Sally, I missed your question when you posted it.

I just looked on the Community page for the Kindle and it says there are six font sizes and the font is nearly always a seriph font ... don't know if that matters to you.  I strongly prefer sans serif and I don't have low vision.

Anyway, largest font size is equivalent to about 20 point.  More here.

Amended to add this...

Amazon support person says max font size is 40 pts.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:27:25 AM by Vampiric Blood »

Jamnicity

• Schrute Bucks: 259
« Reply #741 on: November 17, 2010, 09:54:25 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone here has an iPad and what you think of it? I've been saving up money for eons now to get an Apple laptop, but then the iPad came along, which is much cheaper. I'm mainly looking for something to do internet and e-mail on, though wouldn't mind being able to put pictures and music on it as well. I have a desktop computer for my freelance business, so that takes care of my heavy duty computing needs, although one nice thing about getting a laptop is that it could be a backup for my desktop computer, if that ever dies on me. So, I guess I'm just wondering what anyone thinks about iPad vs having a laptop. What all can you do with an iPad aside from the internet stuff? And, how easy is it to type on an iPad, without a real keyboard?
Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, "Would an idiot do that?" And if they would, I do not do that thing.

Swedge

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 2402
« Reply #742 on: November 17, 2010, 10:03:52 AM »
There will be a new iPad coming out around March or so (late 1st quarter is the current consensus on the tech blogs). So if it isn't too disappointing to wait longer, I'd hold off and get that.

If you have an apple store anywhere nearby, like maybe at your nearest mall, you can go and play with one in person. I've done that and was kind of underwhelmed though if you already have a desktop computer you like I could see it as a fun extra.

As to typing, you can awkwardly type on the screen with a virtual keyboard or buy a 69 dollar dock that will let you type with a real keyboard on a flat surface such as a desk.  Just don't expect to use the keyboard attachment on your lap.

Jamnicity

• Schrute Bucks: 259
« Reply #743 on: November 18, 2010, 11:27:26 AM »
Thanks for the info, Swedge. I think we just got a new Apple store about a half hour away, so I'll have to go play around with an iPad. My BIL got one when they first came out and he and his wife just rave about it. He's a major techie, and always gets all the new "toys." His wife told me she's never seen him excited about anything as much as the iPad.  :D
Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, "Would an idiot do that?" And if they would, I do not do that thing.

funkybutt

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 390
    • Martin Donovan site
« Reply #744 on: November 20, 2010, 08:37:01 PM »
Hubby & I are currently Verizon Wireless subscribers and we only have basic cell (750 minutes/month) and recently we got limited texting. Hubby mentioned that he'd like a smart phone for Christmas but it's too expensive. I haven't done any research to know how much it really costs, but does anyone have any good suggestions for something that's not too expensive (extra $50/month is too expensive).
Damon Lindelof says there's no need for an island in a Lost-themed ride at Disney World: "Just put people in a black room, spin them around and punch them in the face and tell them 'You just had the Lost experience.'"

sora

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 2281
« Reply #745 on: November 20, 2010, 10:38:37 PM »
Sorry, FB. I'm on T-mobile so I have no suggestions.  :-\

However, for those who have a Blackberry... You know how when you send an e-mail from it, there's a tag on the bottom that says "Sent via Blackberry." Does anyone know how to change that or turn it off?

madamemim

• Schrute Bucks: 734
  • Thanks to vanfan14 for the icon!!
« Reply #746 on: November 20, 2010, 11:51:38 PM »
However, for those who have a Blackberry... You know how when you send an e-mail from it, there's a tag on the bottom that says "Sent via Blackberry." Does anyone know how to change that or turn it off?

I've only ever used one Blackberry model, so I don't know if this is the same on all of them... but on mine it goes like this:

Go into Setup --> Email Settings --> click on the specific email account you want to work with --> scroll to the bottom where it says "Signature" and erase anything that's in that box --> click "Save"

Hope that helps!
"Do you want some pie?"
"Not me, I hate pie."
"What are you talking about? Who hates pie? Everyone loves pie!"
"I've always hated pie! You never understood me!"
"You're a pie racist!"
"Well, you're a cobbler whore!"

lisahoo

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3270
  • such a dork (I <3 you)
    • lisahoo.livejournal.com
« Reply #747 on: November 21, 2010, 12:10:58 PM »
Hubby & I are currently Verizon Wireless subscribers and we only have basic cell (750 minutes/month) and recently we got limited texting. Hubby mentioned that he'd like a smart phone for Christmas but it's too expensive. I haven't done any research to know how much it really costs, but does anyone have any good suggestions for something that's not too expensive (extra $50/month is too expensive).

We have Verizon, too, and we got a smaller data plan of $10/month for 25MB-- so that's only $20 extra/month for the both of us.  And the price for extra MB if we need it is 20 cents per MB -- still pretty reasonable.  We each got a Samsung Reality (which of course, I don't see on the site anymore   >:() and we paid $50 for each of them.  It has a lot of smart phone functions (browser and GPS, you can send photos, etc.)  I know Verizon offers some other similar phones -- I think they call them Feature Phones.

ANYHOW -- the husband keeps tabs on his fantasy football team, and we've surfed to find a BBQ joint while we were on the road already, so that's all we really wanted it for.  I'm not very well versed in the latest smart phone technology, but maybe that will give you a place to start.

BTW, if you talk to customer service before you buy, you CAN get the activation fee waived ($25 for the 1st phone, $15 for the 2nd.)  We had to buy an accessory pack to do it, but we wanted it anyway -- it had the car charger and a headset for $30 -- so that was a good deal.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 12:15:56 PM by lisahoo »

funkybutt

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 390
    • Martin Donovan site
« Reply #748 on: February 08, 2011, 11:07:36 AM »
Has anyone gone from being addicted to TV to being a cable-free household? We're thinking of getting rid of cable - partially b/c we find that we don't watch TV as often as before the baby was born, and partially b/c we *rarely* watch anything above channel 72. We enjoy some of those channels (Food Network, MSNBC, HGTV), but with so little time to watch anything, we figure we can just hook out computer to the TV for HULU or use the Wii for Netflix.

I'm not sure how it'll go. Downstairs will be ok, but I like to wind down at night by watching 30 minutes of TV in bed, but we won't have that option without cable. We were also thinking about getting the digital cable converter for the bedroom TV, but I'm afraid we won't pick up much.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Damon Lindelof says there's no need for an island in a Lost-themed ride at Disney World: "Just put people in a black room, spin them around and punch them in the face and tell them 'You just had the Lost experience.'"

Swedge

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 2402
« Reply #749 on: February 08, 2011, 11:56:09 AM »
I have, about 6 months ago and in hindsight I'm glad. All those cable shows are pretty much just time wasting fluff that I dont miss now and the few that are deserving - like say Mad Men or Archer - I can find on itunes or hulu or if I'm willing to wait, netflix so it's not that big a deal.

A big upside is that the quality of the over the air HD tv is, for me at least, much better than what I was getting from comcast HD. So while I have fewer shows, they give a more enjoyable viewing experience. I saw an actress making fun of her dad on a late night talk show the other night in that she'd bought him a nice flat screen tv and he used rabbit ears with it. But that honestly for some people (perhaps most) gives a better picture and shows like Bourdain's No Reservations or Colbert are nice but not worth 80 bucks a month. And even in the case of those two example shows, you can watch one on netflix instant and one on hulu if you really want to.

Downstairs will be ok, but I like to wind down at night by watching 30 minutes of TV in bed, but we won't have that option without cable.

Why not? Hook up a 30 dollar antenna and put on one of the late night talk shows and you've got 30 minutes of tv. It's not clear from your post if you have an hdtv but since that is what is mainly sold these days (I rarely see a non-hdtv for sale at major stores anymore) it seems a safe bet. You won't need the digital converter, in that case.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 12:09:09 PM by Swedge »