•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
I don't really know Ronnie.  But I have a feeling I will get to know her very well over the next few years, and will eventually declare my love for her.

Author Topic: BOOKS: Frankie's prose is finer than a pot of gold, say I  (Read 15655 times)

colette

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3385
Re: Books
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 05:58:23 PM »
Wow. Who knew this thread was here? Hooray for that. I love hearing what people are reading.

I have to second David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day - it's hysterical.  In fact I have all his books; I just love him. 

I'm reading his book, Naked, right now. Really funny. Great for reading in short spurts on the subway, waiting for a doctor's appt., etc.

Also currently reading: Liars and Saints , by Maile Meloy. Pretty good novel about several generations of a family in California, beginning at WWII and going (I think - not there yet) to the present.

Just finished re-reading two of my all time fave novels: A Book of Common Prayer and Democracy, both by Joan Didion. She's one of those authors many seem to either love or hate. I ADORE her (big influence, in my humble little way.)

Angryhaiku

• Temp
  • Schrute Bucks: 11
  • It is always a treat when our paths cross.
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 06:06:35 PM »
I have now forgiven Whedon for killing off Wash in Serenity.

That was a heartbreaker, wasn't it? But I think we know from Whedon's track record that it was going to be Wash, Zoe or Kaylee, and Wash's kind of my first pick.
Which is it: You love me or you have squatter's rights?

kaystar

• Jr. Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 24
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 10:07:44 PM »
I'm currently reading "Final Conversations - Helping the Living and the Dying Talk to Each Other" as my mother-in-law is in the final stage of lung cancer and some of the family (mainly her 3 sons) are having a difficult time dealing with it.  I'm also reading "Shrink Yourself - Break Free From Emotional Eating"as my handling of the stress of her illness is starting to derail the diet I've been on since the first of the year.  (-31 lbs so far!)

Morning Angel

• CEO
  • Schrute Bucks: 1674
  • LJ icon made by Cornicopia
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2007, 12:21:34 PM »
As I said in a previous post, I am a big fan of audiobooks as a way to pass my commute time.  I've been going through some Bill Bryson's books.  I listened to "A Short History of Nearly Everything", of which I had half read the book 2 years ago.  It was a great book, but I hadn't had time finishing it during Christmas time, and had had to return the book to the library.  With the audiobook, I had the chance to get through it all.  It's a great book on the history of various physical sciences.  It was a good refresher for things I had learned in high school, but hadn't thought about in years.  Plus, I did learn some new info about the history of science so I highly recommend it. 

Right now, I'm listening to "In A Sunburned Country", which chronicles Bryson's trip through Australia.  Bill Bryson is a travel journalist by trade.  He just makes the report of his trip funny and highly entertaining.  It's peppered with random info, which is something I truly enjoy. :)
No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Puff

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 51
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2007, 05:39:34 PM »
Oh yay, a book thread!!
Right now, I'm reading "Bobbie Faye's Very (very very very) Bad Day" by Toni McGee Causey. The author used to be one of my favorite fanfic writers in the "Gilmore Girls" fandom, and then she got a book deal, and the first book just came out about a month ago, and I think there are going to be two or three more in the series. I'm about 90+ pages in, and it's really good so far.

And I've also fallen in love with Louise Erdrich's books. I read "The Beet Queen" and "The Painted Drum" this summer, and I'm about to begin reading "Tracks".
Holly: And this is the story of me sitting on the floor taking apart my chair. You like it? I'm going to sell the film rights.
Michael: And the sequel- 'Woman Stands At Desk and Works'

NeverEnoughJam

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 406
    • NeverEnoughJam's website
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2007, 07:54:11 PM »
"The Beet Queen"
I read that title and immediately thought, "Angela? Is that you?"
"Keep your friends close, but keep your stalkers closer." -- John Krasinski

This message is a natural product made from 100% recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Alie_woos

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2007, 09:42:10 AM »
Right now i'm in the middle of 4 books, *sigh* I know:

Re-reading JK Rowling - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
(.. i'm 18, what do you expect?)
Terry Brooks - Running With the Demon
DFW - Brief Interviews With Hideous Men
aaand
Wrapping up Dean Koontz - Tick-tock *shudder*

so, I'm a big fan of Dean Koontz and Terry Brooks and i esp. love Horror books.. just like a normal 18 yr old  :D

Puff

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 51
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2007, 11:25:32 AM »
"The Beet Queen"
I read that title and immediately thought, "Angela? Is that you?"

LOL!! That's actually what made me pick up the book. I went to a book fair (the kind where they give you a bag, and you can fill the bag with as many books as will fit for only $5!), and I picked up "The Beet Queen", and immediately thought of Angela. haha. After reading the summary, it sounded pretty interesting, so I took it home. I'd never heard of the author (but later, a few friends said they'd studied her in school), but it turned out to be a really good book, and now I'm reading as many of that author's books as I can get my hands on.
Holly: And this is the story of me sitting on the floor taking apart my chair. You like it? I'm going to sell the film rights.
Michael: And the sequel- 'Woman Stands At Desk and Works'

EmilyHalpert

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 603
  • waiting on your supernova...
    • LJ
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2007, 05:12:48 PM »
I am reading The Christopher Killer, and it is rather enjoyable. Also, with the kiddos, reading Little Women, a Hardy Boys, and Who Won The War.... and way to many Disney Princess Books to count.
But The Christopher Killer is the one I am working on now...

sweetpea

• Assistant (to the) Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 950
  • by Lisahoo
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2007, 12:05:58 AM »
As I said in a previous post, I am a big fan of audiobooks as a way to pass my commute time. 

I did the same thing when I had a 90-minute RT commute.  It actually made me look forward to getting in the car to go to work!  David Sedaris and Bill Bryson were two of my favorite readers.  I'm another Sedaris fan who enjoys listening to him even more than reading him.  Listening to Holidays on Ice while driving can be dangerous, though! 

Right now, I'm reading Word Freak about competition-level Scrabble, and Love Me by Garrison Keillor.

sharky

• Business Park Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 418
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2007, 03:18:30 PM »
Word Freak is a GREAT book. I had to give it back to my sister so she could read it and I'm going to force her to do it.

I'm presently in the middle of a crappy book that I'm just going to give up on and give away, knowing the new Harry Potter is coming out next week.

Cousin Mose

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2007, 04:14:19 PM »
The last "real" book I read was Flags of our Fathers by James Bradley. I'm a nut for history books (which explains my college degree), and especially World War II-era books. I can't get enough of 'em.

I say "real," because I work part time for a publishing company as a manuscript reviewer and proofreader, so I read "books" all the time--most of which really, REALLY stink, and therefore don't count.  ;D

Swedge

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 2402
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2007, 07:40:11 PM »
The last two books I read were:

Huckleberry Finn.  I should have read it in HS or college but never did and felt like I should at some point.
Gil's All Fright Diner, by A Lee Martinez. Silly fun adventure story.

I'm not a big fan of modern literature.  I've avoided people like Wallace or even Irving and Updike and would much rather read Twain, Kipling and such.  But I did like The Life of Pi.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 10:21:07 PM by Swedge »

The Money Beet

• Jr. Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 7
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2007, 10:16:58 PM »

I say "real," because I work part time for a publishing company as a manuscript reviewer and proofreader, so I read "books" all the time--most of which really, REALLY stink, and therefore don't count.  ;D

OT but your job sounds awesome! Even if most of the books stink  :)

Right now I am reading Momzillas by Jill Kargman.And I'm attempting to read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.I saw the movie yesterday and I've had the books on my shelf for months so I thought I should give it a try.Its not normally the genre I read so its a challenge for me to stick with it.

bitter pill

• Assistant (to the) Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 473
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2007, 12:47:45 AM »
I'm currently reading Annie Dillard's The Maytrees and a collection of Pynchon's early short stories.

This is the first work of fiction I've read by Dillard, but have enjoyed her essays. I'm reading Pynchon's short stories as a warm up for one of his novels.

For book lovers, there are some awesome wallpapers on the Kate Spade website: