•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
Merry Christmas! Ho, ho, ho, pimp.

Author Topic: BOOKS: Frankie's prose is finer than a pot of gold, say I  (Read 19372 times)

Wendy Blue

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 141
Re: Books
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2007, 04:24:17 PM »
Right before Harry Mania began, I started a book called "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak (I think that's how it spelled).

It's an absolutely amazing piece of fiction, probably the most original idea I've seen in a long time.  On July 20th, I was 20 pages away from finishing it and told myself I had to do so before I could start reading Harry.

Yeah, that didn't happen. 

***I still have not finished HP.  Please don't give away anything!  Thank you :)***
You can't fire me! I don't work at this message board!

lisahoo

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3270
  • such a dork (I <3 you)
    • lisahoo.livejournal.com
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2007, 04:31:39 PM »
Psst... Wendy... "Rosebud" is a sled!

(I haven't read HP, so I got nuthin')

Cousin Mose

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2007, 04:35:49 PM »
Also:

-Darth Vader is Luke's father.
-The Titanic sinks.
-Bruce Willis is really a ghost.
-Soylent Green is people.

Wendy Blue

• Sales Associate
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2007, 04:37:29 PM »
Psst... Wendy... "Rosebud" is a sled!

WHAT!?!?  I never read anything about a Rosebud!!

*flips through the book fervently*

Oh Lisa, you sneaky little devil :)  Glad I'm not the only one who hasn't finished it...I actually fell asleep reading it the other night.  I'm so ashamed.

lisahoo

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3270
  • such a dork (I <3 you)
    • lisahoo.livejournal.com
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2007, 04:39:18 PM »
-The Titanic sinks.
Are you sure you've got the title right?  I think you're thinking of 'The Hunt for Red October.'

Cousin Mose

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2007, 04:40:24 PM »
I'll just be down here in the furnace...

Wendy Blue

• Sales Associate
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2007, 04:43:12 PM »
I'll just be down here in the furnace...

Shoveling coal and singing your ethnic songs...

Cousin Mose

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2007, 04:50:10 PM »
*sings*

It ain't easy bein' black....it ain't easy bein' white... [/Franklin]

Morning Angel

• CEO
  • Schrute Bucks: 1674
  • LJ icon made by Cornicopia
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2007, 11:30:37 PM »
I have decided to attack Anna Karenina.  Has anyone here read it?  Did you enjoy it?  Any tips to get through it?
No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Swedge

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 2402
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2007, 11:39:29 PM »
No I haven't.  But I'm reading Of Mice and Men and it's like a long lost My Name is Earl episode so maybe you'll luck out and Anna Karenina will be like 30 Rock.

kells8995

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 816
  • Thanks to yled on LJ :)
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2007, 11:44:20 PM »
I noticed a few of you mentioned David Sedaris.  He is one of my favorites - if you like him you'd probably also like Laurie Notaro.  She writes short stories about her life and they are just hysterical!  It's nice for me because between work and the kids I don't often have time to sit and read, but I can pick up her book and just read a short story here and there...good summer reading!

That said I really haven't had a chance to read much this summer but I did just get her new book

Link

I've also been reading Siblings Without Rivalry because my daughters are driving me crazy with their bickering  :P

Morning Angel's note: kells, I just edited your link because it was stretching the page.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 11:49:41 PM by Morning Angel »

Morning Angel

• CEO
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2007, 11:48:07 PM »
No I haven't.  But I'm reading Of Mice and Men and it's like a long lost My Name is Earl episode so maybe you'll luck out and Anna Karenina will be like 30 Rock.

With a first line like "All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way," I somehow doubt it. ;)  Still, it looks like an interesting, if quite long, book.  I guess that compared to other Tolstoy books like War and Peace, which is over 1400 pages (and as Sam Malone could tell you, it is not worth reading to impress a woman! LOL), it is fairly short at 817 pages.

Thanks for the rec, kells.  I shall check it out! :)

Too Late Kev

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 1414
    • Twitter
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2007, 11:49:09 PM »
My English teacher in 10th grade read chapters of Of Mice and Men out loud to us in class.  That may sound really funny, but there was method to his madness. 

One day, the teacher stopped reading because class was over, and the 'tough kid' in class (tough and not very bright) said, "Oh, no!  Keep reading!"  Anything that got a kid like that interested in literature was a pretty good teaching method, I think.

Swedge

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 2402
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2007, 11:52:24 PM »
MA:  I suggest just subscribing to the philosophy that great novels can only be appreciated in their native language. And since you don't know Russian, you're off the hook!

Too: Cute story. :)

Morning Angel

• CEO
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2007, 12:00:47 AM »
MA:  I suggest just subscribing to the philosophy that great novels can only be appreciated in their native language. And since you don't know Russian, you're off the hook!

LOL Well, no one is putting a gun to my head to read it, but I do want to give it a shot.  At least, the fun thing about reading it for fun is that I can quit if I hate it.  I have been reading many classics in English (never having done much English lit in school, only French lit) and most of what I picked, I liked.

Besides reading a novel is its original language is no guarantee you'll like it.  I still remember reading Madame Bovary in 10th grade, and muttering to myself, "Is she finally going to kill her so she can stop whining and the book will be over?" LOL  I should reread Madame Bovary one of these days to see if I'm less annoyed by it nowadays.  Another beast that I hated in school was Le rouge et le noir by Stendhal.  On the other hand, I did enjoy reading Émile Zola, Charles Beaudelaire , Molière and many other French writers.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 12:02:35 AM by Morning Angel »