•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
"I swallowed a tapeworm last night.  It's gonna grow to 3 feet inside of me and then it eats all my food so that I don't get fat.  After 3 months, I take some medicine and pass it. Creed sold it to me.  It's from Mexico." "That wasn't a tapeworm."

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2009  (Read 1537 times)

Moxie

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 1284
  • "Eat my shorts, John Krasinski!" -- Rainn Wilson
Re: NaNoWriMo 2009
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2009, 10:01:01 PM »
Here's a banner for anyone who wants to use it:

Oh, and I'm moxie.krasinski over at the NaNo site.   piratesmiley

If the devil were to explode, and evil was gone forever - what sort of party would you have?

Ang

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 136
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2009, 11:25:02 PM »
How do you read the stories you guys write for them? I didn't see a place to read on their site.  ???

NeverEnoughJam

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 406
    • NeverEnoughJam's website
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2009, 02:17:19 AM »
How do you read the stories you guys write for them? I didn't see a place to read on their site.  ???

There isn't one. NaNoWriMo is not about reading, it's about writing. The process goes like this:

• Writers write like crazy, averaging 1350 words a day
  • From time to time they log onto their accounts and upload the text of what they've written so far
  • NaNoWriMo's software counts the number of words and posts it on the writer's account
  • NaNoWriMo then flushes the text.
  • When the total of uploaded and counted words reaches 50,000, the writer "wins" (whether she's finished with the novel or not)

There is no mechanism for reading other people's work; there's no mechanism for reading your own work. In fact, nobody reads it. The word count process is just to make sure you're writing words. You could write the same word 50,000 times and that would be counted just the same as the first 50,000 words of Brief Interviews with Hideous Men. And might make as much sense...

So what's the point, if no one reads what you write? It's about the writing. The whole idea is to provide a communal space where everyone around you is writing too, where you can all encourage one another, and no one has to suffer the pains of a critique. Which is as it should be--the first 50,000 words of a first draft of anything are likely to be crap, and no writer wants someone reading it until after she's edited the hell out of it.
"Keep your friends close, but keep your stalkers closer." -- John Krasinski

This message is a natural product made from 100% recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Azlin

• Assistant (to the) Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 436
  • thanks Mose!
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2009, 10:40:14 PM »
So, I'm not actually Nano-ing this year, but I did set a goal to get a quarter of the way through my current novel by the end of the month. Oh who am I kidding? This is the only one of my non fanfic writing projects that's lasted longer than 10 pages. Anyway, so far, I'm doing awesome. I may have to up the goal to halfway through, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Anyway, I just wanted y'all to know that I'm thinking of you! Go writers go! You inspire me. :)

NeverEnoughJam

• Regional Manager
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2009, 03:13:14 PM »
Good luck, Azlin. I'll admit it is a heck of an inspiration just to be part of NaNo. I'm up over 6,000 words already.

ETA: (Nov 29) Just dropping into this very lonely place to announce that I managed to get my 50,000 words in. Yay me. Anyone else finish this year?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 09:52:56 PM by NeverEnoughJam »

This message is a natural product made from 100% recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

FootMoney

• Jr. Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 29
  • Icon by yourmanuscript @ LJ
    • My Twitter
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2010, 01:46:14 PM »
Just wondering if anyone is doing Script Frenzy this year? It's just like Nano, but you do a 100-page script or graphic novel during April.

http://www.scriptfrenzy.org/

My username is HPnerdfighter if anyone is doing it and wants to be a Script Buddy  ^-^
"Lunch Party? It's supposed to say 'Launch Party'. What is wrong with you?"

S.K

• Assistant (to the) Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 367
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2010, 04:22:52 PM »

My username is HPnerdfighter if anyone is doing it and wants to be a Script Buddy  ^-^

Now, where do I know that name from? I swear, I've seen you somewhere else around this weird land called the internet.

ETA I swear I'm not a creepy, scary stalker (I'm a quite nice, friendly stalker), but that's just such a memorable screen name and I lurk in a lot of places. A lot of places.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 05:49:52 PM by S.K »

NeverEnoughJam

• Regional Manager
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2010, 07:57:24 PM »
Just wondering if anyone is doing Script Frenzy this year? It's just like Nano, but you do a 100-page script or graphic novel during April.

My username is HPnerdfighter if anyone is doing it and wants to be a Script Buddy  ^-^

Yikes! One hundred pages of a script? That's too long for TV and almost too short for film. But I don't have the time this year anyway. Good luck to y'all!

wendolf

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 651
  • Cousin Mose is awesome.
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2011, 05:46:38 PM »
Anyone doing NaNoWriMo this year???

SnoWhiteSally

• CEO
  • Schrute Bucks: 860
  • Looking for her Jim.
    • Sally's Boutique
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2011, 09:46:02 PM »
I wish I was doing NaNo this year. I tried last year, had a great story idea, but I have the attention span of a gnat lol

Ladama

• CEO
  • Schrute Bucks: 12
    • Flonkerton
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2016, 09:35:54 PM »
If anyone is taking part in the 2016 Nanowrimo, you should come join us on the new forum
http://mtt.just-once.net/forums/topic/nanowrimo

Also if you are registered on the Nanowrimo site I've created two threads to come hopefully connect with other Office Flans and MTTers.

Office Thread --> http://nanowrimo.org/forums/fanfiction/threads/383116

MTT Writer Thread --> http://nanowrimo.org/forums/writing-groups-and-clubs/threads/383123