•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
My cervix is ripening.

Author Topic: Politics #2: Do You Want to Form an Alliance?  (Read 20678 times)

halfbaked

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3838
Re: Politics #2: Do You Want to Form an Alliance?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 03:36:09 AM »

It's not a new phenomenon. Nixon went on Laugh-In forty years ago in 1968. A lot of people have said that his appearance helped him win the White House.  :P

larrymcg421

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 376
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 05:21:10 AM »
Speaking of Meet the Press, there's a rumor that Colin Powell might endorse Obama when he appears on the show later this morning. That would be a pretty significant endorsement.

halfbaked

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3838
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 09:28:33 AM »

Endorsement's made! Powell has endorsed Obama.

Morning Angel

• CEO
  • Schrute Bucks: 1674
  • LJ icon made by Cornicopia
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 12:26:41 PM »

It's not a new phenomenon. Nixon went on Laugh-In forty years ago in 1968. A lot of people have said that his appearance helped him win the White House.  :P

LOL Oh, sure, it's not totally new, but definitely being used more and more as opposed to presenting themselves on the issues.  Whatever, I am sure I'm in the minority to be bugged by that kind of stuff...
No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

utterblissikins

• Jr. Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 42
    • My El-Jay
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 12:52:43 PM »

Endorsement's made! Powell has endorsed Obama.

With fantastic reasoning, presented beautifully eloquently. The thing about the picture of the woman at her son's grave actually choked me up (okay, that's pretty easy to do...)

I hope this affects some voters. I thought it should have some sway with Independents, at least.

The thing about Palin's SNL appearance is that I don't think many people really needed to see she has a sense of humour. That sort of strategy might work for someone who seems to take themselves really seriously. I don't know much about Biden, but it could probably apply there. But from what I've observed, it'd be hard for the general public to take her less seriously than they do already. I thought she did well, but her time would have been better spent making it look like she actually knows anything (too harsh?)

Or is that putting too much faith in the public? IDK. People fall for this crap from our PM all the time, so I'm probably wrong.
Break me off a piece of that applesauce!

NanReg

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3249
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 02:03:01 PM »
I watched SNL last night.  I really enjoyed the political sketches but have to say that I wasn't impessed with Sarah Palin (granted, I'm biased).  Anyway, I've seen other celebrities/politicians on SNL and grew to like them because of that appearance and the glimpse into a sense of humor--Al Gore, for instance, comes to mind.  I even thought John McCain was likeable when he appeared on SNL a while back.  Not the case this time.  I thought SP was kind of bitchy.  Granted, it couldn't have been comfortable for her.  I'm pretty sure most of the actors, etc. are not pro-Palin. 

Morning Angel

• CEO
  • Schrute Bucks: 1674
  • LJ icon made by Cornicopia
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008, 02:04:38 PM »
The thing about Palin's SNL appearance is that I don't think many people really needed to see she has a sense of humour. That sort of strategy might work for someone who seems to take themselves really seriously. I don't know much about Biden, but it could probably apply there. But from what I've observed, it'd be hard for the general public to take her less seriously than they do already. I thought she did well, but her time would have been better spent making it look like she actually knows anything (too harsh?)

Right.  You said it better than I did.  That's exactly what I meant.
No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Too Late Kev

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 1414
    • Twitter
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2008, 02:26:37 PM »
I thought she did well, but her time would have been better spent making it look like she actually knows anything (too harsh?)

In my opinion, there's a problem with that.  If she's asked tough questions, or questions she's not prepared for, she's not going to look like she actually knows anything.  They're already behind in the polls.  Having more fiascoes like the Katie Couric and Charlie Gibson interviews won't help.  Putting her on something as smart and demanding as Meet the Press would probably be a really bad idea for the McCain/Palin campaign.  The smartest thing they can do is to keep her to canned speeches with hand-picked crowds or to situations like SNL where she can come off looking like an intelligent good sport.  I hope it doesn't work, but it's the smartest thing they can do other than go back in time and pick someone more qualified.

MA, I love that you're from Canada and still taking such an interest.  And you're definitely not the only one bothered by an SNL appearance making more of a difference than knowing the issues.

utterblissikins

• Jr. Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 42
    • My El-Jay
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 12:50:29 AM »
I thought she did well, but her time would have been better spent making it look like she actually knows anything (too harsh?)

In my opinion, there's a problem with that.  If she's asked tough questions, or questions she's not prepared for, she's not going to look like she actually knows anything.  They're already behind in the polls.  Having more fiascoes like the Katie Couric and Charlie Gibson interviews won't help.  Putting her on something as smart and demanding as Meet the Press would probably be a really bad idea for the McCain/Palin campaign.  The smartest thing they can do is to keep her to canned speeches with hand-picked crowds or to situations like SNL where she can come off looking like an intelligent good sport.  I hope it doesn't work, but it's the smartest thing they can do other than go back in time and pick someone more qualified.

That's very true. And how depressing is that? I guess maybe you could say she's just stuck in limbo - she can't do anything for her image either way. If she ever became POTUS, I don't know what I would do. Book a seat on Tina Fey's space rocket?

I don't think my mum actually minds her, which I just cannot stand. Part of me feels like I should be more supportive, but I think rather than advance the cause, she just makes feminists look ridiculous. I hate it.
Break me off a piece of that applesauce!

larrymcg421

• Sales Associate
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 02:58:06 AM »
Looks like the rush to discredit Colin Powell has already started. Pat Buchanan and Rush Limbaugh have stated that Powell's endorsement is only because of race. What's stupid about this is no one accused Lieberman of endorsing McCain only because he's white.

I expect this will only get worse tomorrow. They're going to be coming for Powell. We've seen this before. In 2004, they attacked Kerry's Vietnam record. In 2002, they compared Max Cleland (disabled Vietnam Vet) to Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein. Ironically, in 2000, they used racism against John McCain in the GOP primary. I fully expect the GOP to attack yet another veteran, because they've shown before that they're willing to do whatever it takes to stay in power.

amalia

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 86
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2008, 08:28:06 AM »
 I dont see how denigrating  Gen. Powell does anything positive for Rush Limbaugh  or the Republicans.  Why dont they address the reasons for Powell's endorsement?  This is one of the most foolish things Limbaugh has done and I hope it causes a huge backlash.   Why would undecided voters be swayed by the opinions of someone who denigrates an American hero?   

i_heart_toby

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 182
    • monkey on the lam on LJ
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2008, 02:31:59 PM »
This ontd political post is a good read, although it is quite infuriating. 

The 10 Worst Members of Congress

I was feeling really bad for Larry and his friends down in hotlanta when I got to number 2:
2. Senator Saxby Chambliss (R), Georgia
Chambliss is a senator today by sole virtue of the fact that in 2002 he attacked incumbent Max Cleland -- who lost both legs and an arm in Vietnam and earned Silver and Bronze stars -- as soft on defense and lacking in patriotism. Where was ol' Saxby during the war? Home, of course, claiming a "football injury." How you get elected reflects your character, and Chambliss should never be allowed to live down the shame of what he did in 2002. Never.

Sad, sad stuff.    :'( >:(

ETA: It seems the list originated from Esquire
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 02:34:56 PM by i_heart_toby »

larrymcg421

• Sales Associate
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2008, 02:46:15 PM »
The latest polls show Chambliss in a very close race with Jim Martin. I gave Martin alot of money. The most I've ever donated to a political candidate. I'm hoping he can pull it off. Chambliss not only attacked Cleland's patriotism, but he ran an ad that compared Cleland to Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden. He also declared that all Muslims entering Georgia should be arrested.  Like I said earlier, I almost want him to lose more than I want Obama to win. Almost.

EmilyHalpert

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 603
  • waiting on your supernova...
    • LJ
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2008, 02:47:51 PM »
I've already voted for Martin. I didn't know much about either of them in terms of what their plans are for the state, but, Chambliss is too much a jerk to let him remain in office.

(a part of me dies every time I see a yard sign for him)....

and also... who names their kid Saxby?

funkybutt

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 390
    • Martin Donovan site
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2008, 03:14:31 PM »

You know that if that was one of Obama's kids, the Republicans would be up in arms at how un-American this is.  ::)
Damon Lindelof says there's no need for an island in a Lost-themed ride at Disney World: "Just put people in a black room, spin them around and punch them in the face and tell them 'You just had the Lost experience.'"