•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
It's like eating a hot circle of garbage.

Author Topic: Politics #2: Do You Want to Form an Alliance?  (Read 19198 times)

Cousin Mose

Re: Politics #2: Do You Want to Form an Alliance?
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2008, 03:16:31 PM »

You know that if that was one of Obama's kids, the Republicans would be up in arms at how un-American this is.  ::)

Snopes.com That photo's been altered.

Too Late Kev

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 1414
    • Twitter
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2008, 04:06:33 PM »
What kind of nasty person goes around altering photos to make it look like a little kid is making an obscene gesture?  That stinks.

Thanks for checking that out, Cousin Mose.

MojoPin

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 448
    • All This Has Happened Before
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2008, 04:06:45 PM »
Here are two disturbing stories brought to you by some of my fellow volunteers.

One person was making calls last week and got hold of a woman at her home. The volunteer was calling for the woman's husband and asked, "May I speak to your husband?"

"Who is calling?" the woman asked.

"The EL Barack Obama office," the volunteer answered.

"Barack Obama? What's that?" She called out to her husband, "Do you know Barack Obama?"

He didn't. Yes, that's right. The volunteer found two people who had never heard the name "Barack Obama". The volunteer explained to them that he was the Democratic nominee for president.

The woman snapped, "We're watching TV. We don't have time for that!"

And that was that. Say what?!

Story number two:

Another volunteer was manning the phones (on the same night) and got a hold of woman she was supposed to survey.

"Hello, we're calling on behalf of the Obama campaign. If you're willing to say, would you please tell us who you're planning on voting for this November?"

The woman replied, "I'm a traditional woman and a housewife. My husband does not allow me to vote. Stop calling."

Okay, so I obviously understand about not wanting to get any calls and I understand that the EL office and the capital office have made mix ups to that some people are getting calls from both offices which is annoying at best. But . . . Her husband doesn't allow her to vote?

Stories like these make me fall down in shock.
Laura Roslin: Doctor, I need your help. But it's illegal, dangerous and in violation of your oath as an officer.
Doc Cottle: You're a lousy salesman.

funkybutt

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 390
    • Martin Donovan site
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2008, 04:37:22 PM »
Snopes.com That photo's been altered.

Thanks for pointing that out! Sadly, I wouldn't have been surprised if it was real.
Damon Lindelof says there's no need for an island in a Lost-themed ride at Disney World: "Just put people in a black room, spin them around and punch them in the face and tell them 'You just had the Lost experience.'"

Too Late Kev

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 1414
    • Twitter
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2008, 04:49:53 PM »
Thanks for pointing that out! Sadly, I wouldn't have been surprised if it was real.

I don't really care for Palin's politics, but from what little I've seen her children are well behaved and her 7 year old wouldn't be likely to flip someone off.

bigtunette

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 191
  • o hai.
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2008, 04:52:44 PM »
Ugh. I don't care what side you're on, this is disgusting behavior.

Piper Palin may be my favorite thing about Sarah Palin. She's adorable.  :)

ETA: Hey ladies! Did you know that if you don't like Sarah Palin, the only reason why is because she's pretty and happy? Not because of her policies? And because we're all obviously hideous and miserable?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 05:41:06 PM by bigtunette »
I am glad that today spurred social change; that's part of my job as Regional Manager.

Swedge

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 2402
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2008, 05:48:42 PM »
Interesting photo: shows how much Obama looks like his grandfather.

He doesn't look a lot like him in that photo but as he gets older he does more.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 06:18:13 PM by Swedge »

funkybutt

• Regional Manager
    • Martin Donovan site
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2008, 10:03:25 AM »
Wow, it's stuff like this that scares me that Obama might not win. In NC, you have to select Obama and then separately vote straight party ticket for everyone else. There have been mentions on the local NPR station that many people aren't aware and that there are fewer votes for Obama. Scary since NC is a swing state!

Why do states have to make voting so difficult and confusing?!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 01:14:32 PM by funkybutt »
Damon Lindelof says there's no need for an island in a Lost-themed ride at Disney World: "Just put people in a black room, spin them around and punch them in the face and tell them 'You just had the Lost experience.'"

summerteeth

• Assistant (to the) Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 65535
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2008, 11:32:52 AM »
Funkybutt, that link doesn't seem to be working?

funkybutt

• Regional Manager
    • Martin Donovan site
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2008, 01:16:13 PM »
Funkybutt, that link doesn't seem to be working?

Weird, it disappeared! Here's another news article about it. This article is a bit older (from last week) and since then, there have been hundreds of reports of the same issue. Of course, that's hundreds that actually noticed the problem - no telling how many people didn't double check that their vote was accurately counted.

vailfiregirl

• Assistant (to the) Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 449
    • Such A Dork Screencaps
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2008, 01:23:34 PM »
Here's your original link - you had just left off the .html

funkybutt

• Regional Manager
    • Martin Donovan site
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2008, 01:34:04 PM »
Here's your original link - you had just left off the .html

D'oh! Thanks for correcting it. :)

larrymcg421

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 376
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2008, 07:02:11 PM »
I'm not worried about the NC thing. It might be a swing state, but it won't be the swing state. What I mean is Obama will have a better chance at picking up VA or OH or FL or CO than NC.

colette

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3385
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2008, 07:15:52 PM »
I've been feeling pretty optimistic - still am, by and large. But yesterday I had lunch with a friend who's fairly politically savvy, plus her husband has worked in state Democratic politics for years and is a very levelheaded guy...anyway, she brought up something that made me a little nervous - the 'Bradley effect':

The Bradley effect, less commonly called the Wilder effect,[1][2] is a proposed explanation for observed discrepancies between voter opinion polls and election outcomes in some American political campaigns when a white candidate and a non-white candidate run against each other.[3][4][5] Named for Tom Bradley, an African-American who lost the 1982 California governor's race despite being ahead in some voter polls, the Bradley effect refers to an alleged tendency on the part of some voters to tell pollsters that they are undecided or likely to vote for a black candidate, and yet, on election day, vote for his/her white opponent.

The theory of the Bradley effect is that the inaccurate polls have been skewed by the phenomenon of social desirability bias.[6][7] Specifically, some white voters give inaccurate polling responses for fear that, by stating their true preference, they will open themselves to criticism of racial motivation. The reluctance to give accurate polling answers has sometimes extended to post-election exit polls as well. The race of the pollster conducting the interview may factor in to voters' answers.

Again, this may not be applicable here/now in this election, but combined with recent polls that indicate the candidates running very close amongst people likely to vote, it has me a bit concerned.

zeebee

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 92
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2008, 07:39:04 PM »
I was just speaking to a friend about this.  It may be that I'm naive, but I'm not very worried about the Bradley effect.  Here's one of the articles I read recently:  Debunking the Bradley Effect

First, I think we have come a long way since 1982 in terms of race relations(again, maybe I'm naive).  Plus, I think there are enough plausible reasons to give for not voting for Obama (even if your problem is race) like lack of experience, or that he's too liberal, that it's easier to say you won't vote for him without mentioning race.

Second, I'm actually encouraged by how many early votes have already been cast.  Some have speculated that voter turnout may be really high in this election.  I tend to think people have become so disenchanted with politics, that in order for there to be a big turnout, it will be b/c people are excited by a candidate.  I don't find that many are excited about McCain, even among republicans and conservatives I know.  The fact that McCain even went on about abortion as much as he did in the last debate indicates that he's struggling with the base (social conservatives) of the republican party that got bush reelected.  On the other hand, I see so much genuine enthusiasm for Obama - he's not just "the lesser of two evils" as Kerry was.

Third, I think all the grass roots efforts of the Obama campaign, and other groups, are going to pay off.  I read about this on cnn which I found encouraging as well.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 07:54:50 PM by zeebee »