•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
I'm just sorry the public school system failed him so badly.

Author Topic: Politics #2: Do You Want to Form an Alliance?  (Read 19908 times)

Italian_Food

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 235
  • Oh, Good Lord...
Re: Politics #2: Do You Want to Form an Alliance?
« Reply #1065 on: November 08, 2012, 06:25:06 PM »
I have to say, as an independent voter who has voted for both parties over the years, I feel like the Republican party has really isolated itself from the vast majority of Americans.  The Tea Party?  All the ridiculous things that have been said about rape?  I feel like the party as a whole has gone so extreme just to keep the ultra conservatives happy and as result has isolated everyone else.  That being said, I voted for Obama, Mitt Romney creeps me out.
-"Beesley, are you threatening me?"
-"Jim! Jim, Jim, Jim. I'm not threatening you. I love you. But you should know, you're on very dangerous ground."

rahenson1

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 69
« Reply #1066 on: November 08, 2012, 06:37:52 PM »
Indeed.  Voted for Bush and don't regret the second one.  My friends and I have kicked around some ideas to move them somewhere electable.  First on my list is stop disenfranchising voters. Drop voter ID laws.  Quit bogus election news (the Spanish fliers dated for today as example).  Properly staff polling places and make early voting easy.

Next was accept information.  Nonpartisan budget reports, academic research, empirical data.  These are your friends and help you make decisions about actual problems in the world.  Stronger hurricanes aren't just God angry that we aren't hunting gays.  Doctors aren't making their patients sick.

Anything y'all want to add?
The boat was actually Plan C.  The church was Plan B.  And Plan A was marrying her a long, long time ago.  Pretty much the day I met her.

Italian_Food

• Regional Manager
  • Oh, Good Lord...
« Reply #1067 on: November 09, 2012, 07:31:16 AM »
Stop hiding behind religion, it has no place in politics.  We have this thing in this country called the separation of church and state so it annoys me to no end when those against gay marriage, birth control, or abortion rights use the bible to base their argument around.  By basing so many party policies on church beliefs, they are isolating themselves from the groups of people who aren't so strictly religious or not Christian.
-"Jim! Jim, Jim, Jim. I'm not threatening you. I love you. But you should know, you're on very dangerous ground."

funkybutt

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 390
    • Martin Donovan site
« Reply #1068 on: November 09, 2012, 08:36:00 AM »
I think Alec Baldwin said it best, "You know your party is in trouble when people ask did the rape guy win, and you have to ask which one?"
Damon Lindelof says there's no need for an island in a Lost-themed ride at Disney World: "Just put people in a black room, spin them around and punch them in the face and tell them 'You just had the Lost experience.'"

rahenson1

• Sales Associate
« Reply #1069 on: November 09, 2012, 08:39:15 AM »
That is an excellent point.  I think it was crystal clear the difference in the parties in the VP debate when they asked about abortion.  Both Biden and Ryan are by all accounts faithful Catholics.  But Biden said that his religious view couldn't form the basis of a policy denying someone else a right and Ryan had no problem doing that very thing.
The boat was actually Plan C.  The church was Plan B.  And Plan A was marrying her a long, long time ago.  Pretty much the day I met her.

Italian_Food

• Regional Manager
  • Oh, Good Lord...
« Reply #1070 on: November 09, 2012, 06:03:23 PM »
So, according to this article, a poll conducted in New Hampshire show Hillary Clinton (Yay!) and Chris Christie (God help us all!) as the frontrunners for the nominations for their respective parties in 2016.  I freaking LOVE Hillary Clinton and was disappointed when she didn't win the nomination in '08 so this is something I would love to see happen.  Being from NJ, I could write a book on how much I can't stand Chris Christie, so I'll just stop myself.  Although, Chris Christie is more moderate than the current leaders in the Republican party and hasn't yet said anything absurd about rape yet, so there's that.  Of course 2016 is far away, but it is something to think about.

funkybutt

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 390
    • Martin Donovan site
« Reply #1071 on: November 12, 2012, 11:54:04 AM »
Do you think America is ready to vote for the 1st woman president right after having the 1st black president? I would love for a woman to win, but I'm guessing that Hilary running in 2016 will cause a bit of a backlash resulting in a Republican winning.
Damon Lindelof says there's no need for an island in a Lost-themed ride at Disney World: "Just put people in a black room, spin them around and punch them in the face and tell them 'You just had the Lost experience.'"

rahenson1

• Sales Associate
« Reply #1072 on: November 12, 2012, 12:08:54 PM »
I honestly don't think her gender would be determinitive.  The two largest factors are unknowable until 2016.  Who is running for the GOP and what has happened the four years between then and now.  Someone like Christie (at least functionally more moderate) would prove more challenging than if the Republican solution isn't moderation but extremism.  If they decide they lost because they ran too moderate a candidate and go with a Huckabee or Santorum that makes her road much easier.  If Obama gets good work accomplished (immigration reform, solid economic growth, improved election process, etc) then he's a strong advocate for her.  I doubt she'd be as foolish to refuse a popular Obama as Gore was to refuse a popular Bill Clinton.  I know some about Christie but not nearly as much as I will if he actually campaigns.

Italian_Food

• Regional Manager
  • Oh, Good Lord...
« Reply #1073 on: November 12, 2012, 03:59:15 PM »
Christie is a big bully.  Here in NJ, he waged war on the public unions (Police,fire, teacher) and cut funding majorly.  It's very similiar to what Romney did in Massachusettes when he was Govenor and the resullts were not good.  I get that times are tough and when they are cuts need to be made, but what cut funding to police and teachers when you get make it illegal for politicians to double dip into the pension system?  Or stop tax breaks to the wealthy?  Wouldn't want to upset the campaign contributors!

Italian_Food

• Regional Manager
  • Oh, Good Lord...
« Reply #1074 on: December 17, 2012, 12:44:55 AM »
Question:  What religion is the President?  I've always been under the impression that while he may have some Muslim roots, he is in fact a practicing Christian.  Apparently there is a large group of people who believe that he is strictly a Muslim, and I just want to make sure I'm not losing my mind.

Callisto

• Human Resources
  • Schrute Bucks: 1214
« Reply #1075 on: December 17, 2012, 08:28:17 AM »
Question:  What religion is the President?  I've always been under the impression that while he may have some Muslim roots, he is in fact a practicing Christian.  Apparently there is a large group of people who believe that he is strictly a Muslim, and I just want to make sure I'm not losing my mind.

He is not a Muslim so far as I have ever heard - that's just a rumor that has been going around because of his name. He grew up for a few years in Indonesia, which is almost exclusively Muslim, so he no doubt knows about the religion, but he's a practicing Christian ... although I suspect he's not a deeply religious person. I don't know why I get that impression (but it's okay with me).  
Love is a cunning weaver of fables and fantasies. - Sappho

rahenson1

• Sales Associate
« Reply #1076 on: December 17, 2012, 08:34:35 AM »
As I recall the church in Chicago was a United Church of Christ.  The one with Jeremiah Wright.  He does not talk much about his religion.  He does not have reason to.  Rarely is it relevant to the political discussion.

Italian_Food

• Regional Manager
  • Oh, Good Lord...
« Reply #1077 on: December 18, 2012, 07:41:26 PM »
Thank you, both.  And, yes, Callisto, I agree that he doesn't come off as particularly religious and it doesn't really matter.

I got into a huge debate with my mother (and one of her uber- religious friends) about why Obama should not be quoting scripture because he's Muslim.  No matter how much evidence I presented that he was indeed Christian and not Muslim, it fell on deaf (and ignorant) ears.  My main point was that they have no right to regulate who is and isn't allowed to quote scripture.  Last time I checked, my mother isn't God.

I should have realized I was fighting with a brick wall because my mom is the person who if Obama sneezes the wrong way, she calls for his impeachment.  (And, yes there is a correct and incorrect way to sneeze!  ;) )

rahenson1

• Sales Associate
« Reply #1078 on: December 18, 2012, 11:59:24 PM »
I'm trying to think back on it.  I don't have any political memories of Carter's presidency.  From what I read I guess he's the most religious President in my life.  I don't think of Reagan or either Bush or Clinton as religious.  I know they all met with Billy Graham.  None of them feel like I would expect a President Huckabee or Santorum for example.  Huckabee (as best I recall from living in Arkansas while he was governor) is a former Baptist preacher or minister perhaps is what they call them.

As for a Muslim not quoting scriptures you should refer them to Paul's writings in the Bible.  He references non-biblical writings in some letters.  So even if we conceded the patently false premise that Obama is a Muslim he would still be wise to quote scirptures that were compatible with his faith when talking to a largely Christian audience.

And then there's my governor.  Rick Perry says we need teachers to have guns.  Because you know kids would never accidentally or deliberately take the gun from the teacher.  Why make a kid look for a gun when one is already waiting at the school to be used?  I'm sure the 60 year old woman teaching English class is easily a match for the 17 year old football player.

Italian_Food

• Regional Manager
  • Oh, Good Lord...
« Reply #1079 on: December 19, 2012, 01:09:03 AM »
Teachers with guns is a ludicrous idea and this is coming from a former teacher and a cop's wife.  Not only for the reasons you cited rahenson, but also how long before a teacher snaps and pulls a gun on a student?  Also, I read a Facebook post that went viral from a small town police chief who is pro gun where he cited that he doesn't think a teacher should have to decide to take a life or not.  That's not what they're trained for.

I do believe there needs to be at least one police officer in every public school.  Before this, I wouldn't have thought to include elementary schools, but after this tragedy, anything is possible.