•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
And then an older gentleman asks you, "Boxers or briefs?"

Author Topic: Lord, Beer Me Strength #3  (Read 14843 times)

Morning Angel

• CEO
  • Schrute Bucks: 1674
  • LJ icon made by Cornicopia
Lord, Beer Me Strength #3
« on: December 22, 2008, 06:24:19 PM »
Thread #2 is closed.  We still need a lot of strength at times so new thread! 
No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

lisahoo

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3270
  • such a dork (I <3 you)
    • lisahoo.livejournal.com
Re: Lord, Beer Me Strength #3
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 11:02:22 PM »
Beering strength to all who need it in the upcoming weeks.

Also, here is a blog post I read that might be of use.  (Personally, I am reminding myself not to fret about things I cannot control.  Like my inlaws and when they are going to show up.  Blergh!)

10 Ways to Enjoy Your Family During the Holiday Season
Posted on December 22nd, 2008 in Relationships

Family: is “a blessing and a curse” too strong? Perhaps. As wonderful as it is to spend time with family during the holidays (I’m so excited to see everyone!), it can also create a lot of tension.  “Are you seeing anybody?” “When are you going to have a baby already?” and all manner of awkward questions can set your nerves on edge. In the interests of enjoying your holiday time instead of stressing, consider these ways to embrace family and your time together. (Hey, someone’s got to put the “fun” in dysfunctional, right?)

1. Surrender to the moment. If you’re committed to spending a certain amount of time with family (or any group), embrace it. Turn off the phone and ignore incoming texts. When you make an effort to enjoy yourself, there’s a good chance you’ll succeed.
   2. Find a way to help out. Some of the best times you can have are helping in the kitchen. If you’ve never met a meal you couldn’t burn, consider helping with the clean-up.
   3. Get out the photo albums and share stories. You may be surprised at what others remember that you’ve long since forgotten. Or, bring new pics to show everyone. (If you can keep it to a couple dozen, you’re golden.)
   4. Bring a treat you can’t wait to share. From a new cookie to a great bottle of wine, sharing something you love with people you love is a great mix.
   5. Enjoy your traditions, no matter how long ago you outgrew them.
   6. Take a family picture.
   7. Skip the small talk and actually catch up with everyone’s current interests and goings-on.
   8. Get into the game. If you’ve always resisted watching the game on TV but everyone else loves it, give it a try. It can be more fun than you might imagine.
   9. Bring a few interesting stories to the table. These aren’t strangers, they’re friends and family. If someone asks you how things are going, they’re not looking for “fine” as an answer.
  10. Spend the day like you’re at the kids’ table; everyone knows you have more fun throwing rolls and having chugging contests than comparing how far down your portfolios are. In other words, make the moment fun for someone else.

And if you’re spending the day away from those you love, know that they’re thinking of you. Give someone you love a call and enjoy those you’re with.  Best wishes for a happy and healthy holiday!

source

Yes, not everyone's family can be handled by looking at photos together, but it might be worth a try.

Cricket03

• Assistant (to the) Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 549
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 11:17:31 PM »
I really like the 2nd idea, "Find a way to help out." That's always my method when my relatives or in-laws are around, as it provides the perfect way to avoid all the awkward small talk and the inevitable, way too personal questions: "have you tried the South beach diet, it might help you lose some weight," or like the article said, the question I'm most frequently asked: "so, you've been married for awhile, when are you going to have kids? Do you want kids? Aren't you afraid if you wait, you'll get too old," all fired in rapid succession.
"You can't fire me. I don't work in this van!"

jillyree

• Schrute Bucks: 359
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 04:22:15 PM »
Asking for strength to be beered not to me, but to three people I know very well.  Wendell (Bubba) and Alesa Smith taught my children at their former Elementary School - Bubba was the Phys Ed teacher, and Alesa taught my oldest daughter in Kindergarten.  These two met at the school and got married.  They were expecting their first child together, a boy due on April 20th. 

Miller Denton Smith was born on New Year's Eve, weighing in at 1 lb. 8 oz.  Little Miller is a fighter, and is still with us, but his prognosis is a roller coaster from day to day.  Please keep these three in your thoughts, and beer as much strength to them as you can.  He is currently at TC Thompson Children's Hospital in Chattanooga, Tennessee, and Bubba and Alesa are currently staying at the Ronald McDonald House across the street. 

This is a precious family, and I know that any good vibes/thoughts/and if you believe, prayers, would be appreciated on behalf of this precious little man. 

Thanks!
You can't fire me.  I don't work in this forum.

xoxoxo

• CEO
  • Schrute Bucks: 1089
    • Single Serving
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 05:48:20 PM »
Jilly - I'll be sending my thought and prayers.  Poor little baby.

EmilyHalpert

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 603
  • waiting on your supernova...
    • LJ
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 06:17:17 PM »
I'll be thinking of them. How sad :(.

sharky

• Business Park Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 418
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 06:32:52 PM »
Sorry to hear, Jilly.

On a much more superficial note, my crazy sister-in-law has now dragged me into her drama by sending me and my husband an email -- that she CCed random friends on as well -- ranting about something that I...well, I don't even really understand it all. So please beer me some strength to not send her an email back calling her an ungrateful biatch.

WalkInLove

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 801
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 06:36:52 PM »
Jilly, your friends will most definitely be in my thoughts and prayers.  I had some friends go through this same thing a couple years ago and it is such a heartbreaking situation on a daily basis.

lisahoo

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3270
  • such a dork (I <3 you)
    • lisahoo.livejournal.com
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 09:30:37 PM »
Jilly -- my cousin is going through the same thing.  She & her husband finally got to bring their little boy home from the hospital before Xmas and my mom got to hold him when she flew out there.

You & your friends are in our prayers.

Alamos

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 406
  • His Royal Hotness "HRH"
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 09:37:38 PM »
jillyree Beering your friends strength during this difficult time.  Sending them good and happy thoughts.

My youngest cousin was born at 1lb 4 oz. He has been in intensive care since he was born and the little fighter is now 4lbs. The doctors say that once he reaches 5lbs he will be able to go home. So far he is beating all the odds, as I am sure your friend's baby will.
This is not a sitcom, where everything is all right.

jillyree

• Schrute Bucks: 359
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 11:30:15 PM »
Just an update on my friends...and it doesn't look very good:

On this coldest and darkest of nights, we are confronted with facing the cruelties and unfairness of this world. Miller's condition is no better. Actually, his time on this earth is running out. All of the knowledge that mankind has learned, all of the progress we've made in the science of medicine, and all of the efforts of the most skilled physicians have been exhausted. Miller's fate has been left with God for him to decide. We know that Miller is His before our own. We understand that Miller was a gift to all of us. And I personally know that Miller is much too sweet and way too gentle to have to suffer through this world we live in. He is divine and one of God's chosen ones. More so than most of God's chosen ones. He has become so special in so many ways to so many people. I have learned that in spite of my selfish desires to want to keep Miller with us and to take him home, that God loves him more and it appears that He wants him by his side in his everlasting home. It is so hard to fathom leaving this place and returning home without him. We have not been asked to make any decisions but Alesa and I feel and see that it looms. We try to prepare ourselves but it is impossible. How can life continue without him? For us, it feels like the world would stop spinning.

Please keep them in your thoughts at what has to be the most difficult time they've ever endured...and thanks to all who have already sent good vibes/thoughts their way. 

You can't fire me.  I don't work in this forum.

Callisto

• Human Resources
  • Schrute Bucks: 1214
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 11:33:45 PM »
Oh jilly, so sorry for your friends.  What a tragedy.  We'll continue to pray for a miracle.   bighugsicon
Love is a cunning weaver of fables and fantasies. - Sappho

jazzfan

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 1250
  • Jazz will set you free
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 10:05:09 AM »
Oh jillyree, I'm so very sorry for your friends.  Beering them much strength.
Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all
--Emily Dickinson

Alamos

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 406
  • His Royal Hotness "HRH"
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 11:09:18 AM »
jillyree I am so sorry to hear about your friends. They seem like such warm and strong people.
This is not a sitcom, where everything is all right.

NanReg

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3249
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 11:24:39 AM »
This has been in the back of my mind since you first told us about Miller and his family, jilly.  My heart breaks for them.  In spite of the sadness, they seem to have a really healthy attitude.  I hope that and the many people who obviously care about them carry them through.