•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
I think if I was allergic to dairy, I'd kill myself.

Author Topic: Music #2: I've Been Putting Money Into CDs For Years.  (Read 5264 times)

lisahoo

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3270
  • such a dork (I <3 you)
    • lisahoo.livejournal.com
Re: Music #2: I've Been Putting Money Into CDs For Years.
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 09:25:01 AM »
If you're an oldster like me and have vinyl and are not relishing the idea of replacing it all, the Clash box set, Clash on Broadway is a must have.  You can buy it used for $10 or so.  Score!

sora

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 2281
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 01:02:26 PM »
Heh... Eminem released a music video for his newest single, We Made You. I don't really listen to Eminem but I do have some songs of his on my iTunes. Um... it's an interesting song; the flow isn't completely there, but it's not too bad. The video could be described as either amusing or crap.  ;D

There There

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 140
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 06:55:51 PM »
Hmmm, well...Eminem hasn't done anything of note since like 2002.  It's a shame what happened to his songwriting because, much as I loathe rap music, there isn't really any point in denying that the man knows/knew how to use words.  Plus, even if a lot of his best material is totally psychotic, it's a lot more interesting than all that "ho's and Bacardi" stuff you usually get with hip-hop.   

In other news: I got my beautiful deluxe edition of Pearl Jam's Ten in the mail today.  I'm a PJ fan in heaven.  I didn't go all out and get the super-duper-deluxe edition (too expensive) but I'm loving my version.  It even has a DVD of their performance on MTV Unplugged way back in 1992.   ;D coolicon 

Definitely worth picking up if you're a fan of the band.  The remastered version of the album itself sounds fantastic.  Such a bump up from the crappy, muffled early '90s production that is all over every album from that era! 

ALSO, just saw this on allmusic:

The Beatles' original catalog will be released in remastered format on September 9, 2009. The band's 12 albums will all be included in the deluxe package, as will Magical Mystery Tour and a single-disc version of Past Masters Vol. I and II. September 9th will also see the release of "The Beatles: Rock Band" video game and two additional Beatles box sets.

Too bad I'm not rich or I'd re-buy the entire catalog just to get better production!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 07:00:15 PM by There There »
"I guess I'm an underwater thing." ~ Tori Amos

jinxcoke

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 223
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 07:01:16 PM »
2) Chariot by Gavin DeGraw (Chariot Stripped, which is a whole acoustic version of the album is almost even more fabulous)

MA, I went through a phase where Chariot was all I listened to.  Just rediscovered it on my iPod.  Sadly, I haven't liked his subsequent CD's as much.

Same here.  I really liked Chariot.  The others...not so much.

My snow globe was set on fire and then eaten by sharks.

norsk_heksen

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 164
  • SHOVE IT!
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 12:09:13 PM »
ALSO, just saw this on allmusic:

The Beatles' original catalog will be released in remastered format on September 9, 2009. The band's 12 albums will all be included in the deluxe package, as will Magical Mystery Tour and a single-disc version of Past Masters Vol. I and II. September 9th will also see the release of "The Beatles: Rock Band" video game and two additional Beatles box sets.

Too bad I'm not rich or I'd re-buy the entire catalog just to get better production!

... I see. I don't have Rock Band, or any other video game or console, but I might see if I can afford getting that because... pretending to be the Beatles? Seriously? Pretty exciting. (Also, I might be one of the biggest Beatles fans ever, so... yeah.)
Now I see a family where there once was none. Now we've just begun. Yeah, we're gonna fly to the sun. -Kenny Loggins

~心心相印~~印相心心~

NanReg

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3249
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 01:24:30 PM »
2) Chariot by Gavin DeGraw (Chariot Stripped, which is a whole acoustic version of the album is almost even more fabulous)

MA, I went through a phase where Chariot was all I listened to.  Just rediscovered it on my iPod.  Sadly, I haven't liked his subsequent CD's as much.

Same here.  I really liked Chariot.  The others...not so much.

Just listened to Chariot again yesterday, and I still love it.  It won't leave me alone since MA mentioned it  laughingicon

My favorite CD, and the one that I can listen to every day without tiring of it, is Billie Holiday Love Songs.  *sigh* So wonderful.

Alamos

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 406
  • His Royal Hotness "HRH"
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 02:06:26 PM »
In other news: I got my beautiful deluxe edition of Pearl Jam's Ten in the mail today.  I'm a PJ fan in heaven.  I didn't go all out and get the super-duper-deluxe edition (too expensive) but I'm loving my version.  It even has a DVD of their performance on MTV Unplugged way back in 1992.   ;D coolicon 

Definitely worth picking up if you're a fan of the band.  The remastered version of the album itself sounds fantastic.  Such a bump up from the crappy, muffled early '90s production that is all over every album from that era! 

I asked for this for Mother's Day. But I am tempted to go out and get it.  "Ten" is definitely one of those albums that you can listen to in its entirety, over and over.  My personal favorite is "Garden"

And back in my younger days I was able to withstand a PJ concert outside without a seat in a dust bowl during  the Lollapalooza tour. AWWW... to be young again. (Now I must have a seat!)
This is not a sitcom, where everything is all right.

DunderSnob

• Assistant (to the) Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 520
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 05:12:40 PM »
Anytime I hear Pearl Jam, I'm transported back to me driving over the Cascade Mountains in my little red CRX with the windows down, letting the warm summer breeze flow in. I listened to their first album more times than I can remember. I'll be getting their new one very soon.

I don't think that Jims and Paceys really exist in the world. They are just created to get us women in trouble with our Roys.

halfbaked

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3838
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 09:18:49 PM »

I flipped on the Brewers game to catch the score and was surprised to hear Jeff Tweedy in the announcers' booth. He threw out the first pitch tonight and the announcers were very complimentary.

Wilco is playing the Pabst Theatre tomorrow night and again on Wednesday. There's a live webcast of Wednesday's performance.  jimcap

DunderSnob

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 05:55:58 PM »
Our local rock radio station has been playing this song lately. It's not available on iTunes yet, but I finally figured out the name and found it on YouTube. My husband kept telling me about this song and I had not heard it till the other day. I didn't like it when I first heard it...now I can't get it out of my head!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMsPtgt8DSE

I don't think that Jims and Paceys really exist in the world. They are just created to get us women in trouble with our Roys.

NanReg

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3249
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2009, 11:41:34 PM »
Has anyone else seen Maroon 5/Sara Evans on the Palladia HD channel (Comcast Cable where I live in NJ)?  Not familiar with Sara Evans (other than vaguely recalling details of a sordid divorce battle), but I really like Maroon 5.  Thoroughly enjoying this pairing.  They had been performing some Maroon 5 songs.  Then Adam Levine and Sara Evans dueted on the Don Henley/Stevie Nicks song, Leather & Lace, and did a really great job.  Anyway, if you have access to Palladia HD, be on the lookout for this.  Very entertaining. 

ETA:  The program is called CMT Crossroads. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 07:47:44 PM by NanReg »

Blanca

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 187
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2009, 01:44:49 AM »
Just got my tickets to see Death Cab for Cutie at the Hollywood Bowl in July today! ;D I logged on to the Ticketmaster site right at 10:00 a.m. and ended up with some pretty good seats for only $40. So yeah, I'm excited.
LOL lol winky face

Cheeb

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 243
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2009, 11:26:06 PM »
 >:(  I didn't know Death Cab was coming to Los Angeles.  That's great for you Blanca that you were able to buy inexpensive tickets.  Keep your eyes peeled for  jimcap

Thanks to Rainn's Twitter I discovered that Wilco was coming to town before the tickets went on sale.  Snagged two tickets as soon as they went on sale for their show in June at the Wiltern and I didn't even have to spend forever on the Live Nation website for the tickets.  :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 12:45:07 AM by Cheeb »

DunderSnob

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2009, 12:29:05 AM »
That's it! I need to move to LA and go to concerts with Cheebs!

Cheeb

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 243
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2009, 12:42:17 AM »
Yeah, because the husband and the kid wouldn't be caught dead at a Death Cab concert!  I told you DS, the Phil Spector mansion should be up for sale any day now.   :D