•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
I tented my pants.

Author Topic: Music #2: I've Been Putting Money Into CDs For Years.  (Read 5265 times)

DunderSnob

• Assistant (to the) Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 520
Re: Music #2: I've Been Putting Money Into CDs For Years.
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2009, 12:52:44 AM »
Yeah, I'll transfer some funds around to buy that.  ;D

I don't think that Jims and Paceys really exist in the world. They are just created to get us women in trouble with our Roys.

lisahoo

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3270
  • such a dork (I <3 you)
    • lisahoo.livejournal.com
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2009, 07:26:42 AM »
Yeah, because the husband and the kid wouldn't be caught dead at a Death Cab concert!  I told you DS, the Phil Spector mansion should be up for sale any day now.   :D
You could rent out the wig room to help pay the mortgage   O0

BottleBlue

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 72
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2009, 02:23:45 PM »
If there are any Dave Matthews Band fans out there, I have an extra set of tickets for tomorrow night's show in The Woodlands (Houston).  Face value and a beer at the bar!

Apologies if this kind of post is inappropriate.   :)

jenn

• Schrute Bucks: 1256
    • twitter (I'm sure I'm sorry)
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2009, 12:00:17 AM »
So, a few weeks ago, I bought a ticket to ACL (Austin City Limits) Fest on a complete & total whim.  I think I was still bitter about missing last year's amazing lineup (even though I had a pretty clear cut opportunity to attend).

The headliners aren't exactly blowing me away -- Pearl Jam & DMB (not a huge fan of either -- please don't throw garbage at me), but I am excited about some of the "secondary" bands -- probably most excited about Kings of Leon, The Decemberists, Sonic Youth and John Vanderslice.

Has anyone here ever attended ACL or planning on going this year?
"Oh, this is gonna be good.  You have that 'I'd rather be making out with a broken bottle' look; which, if history serves, means you're about to say something awkward."

WalkInLove

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 801
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2009, 12:02:17 AM »
I'm not attending, Jenn, but I am wicked jealous (okay and excited for you as well) that you get to see The Decemberists.  Why the hell do you and I not live closer to one another?   :-\

jenn

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2009, 12:04:59 AM »
WiL, the little birdie on my shoulder keeps telling me to tell you:

"The concert is in Austin (which is closer to AZ than CT, for what it's worth), and not until October.  Tickets can still be obtained."

Just sayin'.   <3
"Oh, this is gonna be good.  You have that 'I'd rather be making out with a broken bottle' look; which, if history serves, means you're about to say something awkward."

BottleBlue

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 72
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2009, 10:30:33 AM »
I went to ACL the first two years, when it was still held at the beginning of September.  Miserable time of year to be outside all day in Texas.  Loved it the first year, less so the second year.  If I can buy a single day pass I'll go for DMB, but otherwise I'll probably skip it.

lisahoo

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3270
  • such a dork (I <3 you)
    • lisahoo.livejournal.com
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2009, 11:23:01 AM »
I'm not attending, Jenn, but I am wicked jealous (okay and excited for you as well) that you get to see The Decemberists.  Why the hell do you and I not live closer to one another?   :-\
Because that would be too much awesomeness in one place.  Kind of like the president and vice president can't be on the same plane.   O0
ETA:  Sorry, that is not a very good example of awesomeness, but you get the idea.

From what I understand about ACL, part of the fun will be discovering new bands you've never heard of since it's all on one ticket, right?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 02:32:47 PM by lisahoo »

McGigi

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 182
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2009, 12:14:05 PM »
Jenn, get thee to the Avett Brothers! They are my absolute most favorite band ever, and I can't recommend them enough! I also have friends who love Coheed and Cambria, though I've never heard them.

Just say the word and I can mail you a very lovely package with some CDs.... and now I'm mentally trying to figure out if I could afford to go to Austin.....   ;D
And take extra care with strangers, even flowers have their dangers, and though scary is exciting, nice is different than good.

WalkInLove

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 801
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2009, 10:34:01 PM »
WiL, the little birdie on my shoulder keeps telling me to tell you:

"The concert is in Austin (which is closer to AZ than CT, for what it's worth), and not until October.  Tickets can still be obtained."

Just sayin'.   <3

As you know, Jenn, I had to postpone my NE trip from the Spring to the Fall due to circumstances far beyond my control.  Given that, the ACL trip is not an option for me.  I will, however, insist upon seeing you this fall when I do make my trip to the great NE.  Or, you know, I'll just show up at your door and kidnap you to some groovy little bar for the evening.  ;D

Speaking of too much awesomeness, lisahoo, right back at ya!  jimcap O0 :-*

jenn

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2009, 12:38:34 AM »
Jenn, get thee to the Avett Brothers! They are my absolute most favorite band ever, and I can't recommend them enough!
Miss McGiggles, I am all over that!  Obviously, I hold your opinion in high regard as you have proven time and time again to have impeccable taste.  ;)  Any suggestions on where I should start?  And, yes, I'm purposely ignoring your mental trip to Austin.  Such an occurance coming to fruition would, technically speaking, "explode the [d]awesome part of my brain."  ;)

And, Miss WiL, my excitement got the best of me for a moment.  Obviously, you have more pressing matters (unfortunately, given the circumstances) to attend to.  I think I was just being selfish in thinking how outrageously wonderful it would be to have you there with me.  But, I promise to take gratuitous amounts of video.  And then we'll have our own legen...(wait for it -- I hope you're not lactose intolerant!)...dary time when we finally do get to hang out this fall.  bighugsicon

And, Miss Hoo, that was a superb analogy.  However, as much as I wish it were true, I think there's actually a more yin-yang principle at play, i.e. WiL's general awesomeness would be the yang to my dorky yin.  Or something.   :D

MrsHammer

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 93
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2009, 06:34:19 PM »
Ok, I am in desperate need of updating the tunes on my MP3 player. I use it when I run on the treadmill, and I've been running through the same songs for about a year now.  Where do you all buy your downloads?  What I would really like is a place that can help me pick out new music based on what I already know I like.  Also, if anyone has a suggestion for something really rockin to run too, let me have it!
Wish I could, but I can't. Well, can, but won't. Should, maybe, but shorn't.
What part of shorn't don't you understand, Kevin?

AngieMae

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 127
    • Bring Back (Quality) Nick at Nite
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2009, 07:19:26 PM »
Ok, I am in desperate need of updating the tunes on my MP3 player. I use it when I run on the treadmill, and I've been running through the same songs for about a year now.  Where do you all buy your downloads?  What I would really like is a place that can help me pick out new music based on what I already know I like.  Also, if anyone has a suggestion for something really rockin to run too, let me have it!

My suggestion is for you to go to Pandora, and type in an artist or song title and go from there. You can't actually dl anything there, but at least it will help you find new stuff.

As far as where to dl, sorry couldn't tell ya. :/
"I'm sorry I annoyed you, with my friendship."

Bring Back (Quality) Nick at Nite

norsk_heksen

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 164
  • SHOVE IT!
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2009, 12:50:18 AM »
iTunes has a new thing -- I think it's called Genius -- that takes your library and makes suggestions based on what you already have. But if you have an MP3 player, that format might not be compatible.

Amazon has MP3 downloads, and if you have an account on amazon and tell it what you own, it will give you recommendations and say, "We recommend X because you said you own Y," so you get an idea of what it's like. I've gotten some MP3s on there -- usually albums are a better deal than singles. And their files are DRM-free, meaning that basically they aren't tracked, so you can transfer them between computers, change operating systems, update your MP3 player, etc. without losing the files or having it say, "Sorry, you can't play that here!" So yeah, I'm kind of a fan of amazon. :)
Now I see a family where there once was none. Now we've just begun. Yeah, we're gonna fly to the sun. -Kenny Loggins

~心心相印~~印相心心~

bitter pill

• Schrute Bucks: 473
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2009, 01:30:08 AM »
I have this page bookmarked: 19 Great Music Recommendation Sources (more than 19, really since there more are listed in the comments). I've tried a few and been meaning to try others, but haven't yet. If you do find one source that's really cool, let me know!

Adding to that, I like newer and less mainstream music, so I like to browse Hypemachine for new music recs.

What kind of music do you like listening to while running? What are some of the artists on your playlists now?