•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
Holly is sweet and simple like a lady baker.  I would not be surprised to find out that she had worked in a bakery before coming here.  She has that kind of warmth.  I'm pretty sure she has baked on a professional level.

Author Topic: Music #2: I've Been Putting Money Into CDs For Years.  (Read 5679 times)

Morning Angel

• CEO
  • Schrute Bucks: 1674
  • LJ icon made by Cornicopia
No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

There There

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 140
Re: Music #2: I've Been Putting Money Into CDs For Years.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 10:41:23 PM »
Geez, no posts at all in the shiny new thread?  That's not right at all!  To rectify the situation...

Five Recommended Albums
1. "Between the Buttons" by the Rolling Stones (1960s)
2. "Low" by David Bowie (1970s)
3. "Black Celebration" by Depeche Mode (1980s)
4. "from the choirgirl hotel" by Tori Amos (1990s)
5. "Boxer" by the National (2000s)

Five Recommended Songs
1. "My Eyes Have Seen You" by the Doors (1960s)
2. "Disorder" by Joy Division (1970s)
3. "The Chauffeur" by Duran Duran (1980s)
4. "Take Ecstasy with Me" by the Magnetic Fields (1990s)
5. "Elephant Gun" by Beirut (2000s)

Does anyone else have any great recommendations to give?  You don't have to do decades like I did, that was just for fun.  coolicon
"I guess I'm an underwater thing." ~ Tori Amos

MojoPin

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 448
    • All This Has Happened Before
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 11:16:15 PM »
I'll get in on it.

Five Recommended Albums

1) Graceland by Paul Simon
2) Babylon by Bus by Bob Marley and the Wailers
3) Astral Weeks[/i by Van Morrison
4) Rabbit Fur Coat by Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins
5) Court and Spark by Joni Mitchell

Five Recommended Songs

1) Salota by Esau Mwamwaya and Radioclit
2) Broken Arm by Winterpills
3) See These Bones by Nada Surf
4) Cobbler's Hornpipe by Eliza Carthy
5) She Moves On by Paul Simon

All current favorites (though the Paul Simon and Joni Mitchell are old favorites, too).
Laura Roslin: Doctor, I need your help. But it's illegal, dangerous and in violation of your oath as an officer.
Doc Cottle: You're a lousy salesman.

zerohhero

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3365
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 11:35:48 PM »
"Elephant Gun" by Beirut

I love that song.

Recommended Albums:
1.  "Strawberry Jam" by Animal Collective
2.  "Feed The Animals" by Girl Talk
3.  "Little Death"  by Pete and the Pirates
4.  "April"  by Sun Kil Moon
5.  "El Producto" by Walt Mink

Recommended Songs:
1.  "Run To Your Grave" by The Mae Shi
2.  "Foxes Mate For Life" by Born Ruffians
3.  "Blind" by Hercules and Love Affair
4.  "Kim & Jessie" by M83
5.  "In the New Year" by The Walkmen
6.  "Poison Dart" by The Bug
7.  "Fascination" by Alphabeat
8.  "Enfants (chants)" by Ricardo Villalobos
9.  "Kamphopo" by The Very Best
10.  "Gronlandic Edit" by Of Montreal
<----- lisahoo's fine work

wildthing0088

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 47
  • I'd appreciate it if you wore pants more often.
    • Words of Wildthing (LiveJournal):
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 11:48:34 PM »
Five Recommended Albums:
1) Fearless-- Terri Clark
2) The Road and the Radio-- Kenny Chesney
3) License to Chill--Jimmy Buffett
4) X-- Trace Adkins
5) Twice the Speed of Life-- Sugarland

Five Recommended Songs:
1) "Sissy's Song"-- Alan Jackson
2) "Chrome"-- Trace Adkins
3) "Already Gone"-- Sugarland
4) "Always  the Love Songs"-- Eli Young Band
5) "Not a Bad Thing"-- Terri Clark

summerteeth

• Assistant (to the) Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 65535
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 05:37:42 AM »
I'm absolutely awful at compiling lists like that, I take forever to decide, then change my mind. But I was wondering if any of you had come across Spotify? I just started to use it last night, and I really, really like it! It's a little app that you download free, and you play music through it - pretty much anything at all. It streams, so you don't have to wait for anything to download, and it's totally free. There's just an ad every few songs. It's a really great way to try before you buy, so to speak.

Anyway, just thought I'd recommend that! I was listening to Beirut last night, and I'm definitely buying some of their stuff - I don't know where they've been all my life!

norsk_heksen

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 164
  • SHOVE IT!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 07:17:54 AM »
Ooh, I may take some of these recommendations, especially the Doors, Paul Simon, and Joni Mitchell. MojoPin, do you have/like The Hissing of Summer Lawns (I think that's the title) by her? My dad still has his record at home and loves it but I've never listened to it.

I have an Ultimate Recommendation (you've probably never heard of it, and it's something I think everybody should at least give a listen to): Second Contribution by Shawn Phillips. I just saw Shawn Phillips in concert last June at age 65, and he's still completely amazing. He's IMO the best lyricist alive (John Lennon would beat him by a nose if he were alive), and he is so musically talented both in writing and performing. He combines folk and classical and rock influence to make music that will blow you away. And he has for a long time refused to play for a major record company; now, he is working out of South Africa with a record company who lets him make the decisions and he decides it's all about the music. Shawn Phillips, check him out!

On a different note, I called my friend in Australia this morning and she told me all about how she went to a Who concert and met John "Rabbit" Bundrick (keyboards), Pino Palladino (bass) and Simon Townshend (backing guitar, also Pete's brother) without me! :( Her facebook profile pic is now her and Rabbit. I CAN'T BELIEVE SHE MET RABBIT! SO JEALOUS!
Now I see a family where there once was none. Now we've just begun. Yeah, we're gonna fly to the sun. -Kenny Loggins

~心心相印~~印相心心~

There There

• Sales Associate
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 08:53:44 AM »
MojoPin, do you have/like The Hissing of Summer Lawns (I think that's the title) by her? My dad still has his record at home and loves it but I've never listened to it.

I know you weren't asking me, but I just wanted to say that I love that album (and yes, you've got the title right).  It might not be something you love immediately, but it certainly is a grower.  The lyrics are outstanding and the mood is really unique.  It's a nighttime in the summer album.  But, you can't really go wrong with Joni.   ;) 

P.S. Nice to see other Beirut fans around!  What a great band...

norsk_heksen

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 164
  • SHOVE IT!
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 07:34:43 AM »
Thanks, ThereThere! :) I'll have to check it out when I get my record player fixed/replaced.
Now I see a family where there once was none. Now we've just begun. Yeah, we're gonna fly to the sun. -Kenny Loggins

~心心相印~~印相心心~

Morning Angel

• CEO
  • Schrute Bucks: 1674
  • LJ icon made by Cornicopia
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 12:56:01 PM »

While I love from the choirgirl hotel, I would have to go with Little Earthquakes.  It's one of my all-time favourite albums.  I have vivid memories of being in undergrad and listening to it from beginning to end on a loop.

2.  "Feed The Animals" by Girl Talk

Love that album as well!

I'm totally uncool/not that forward thinking as far as music is concerned, but I still love finding new stuff/discovering older stuff I didn't know.

Five Albums I Love To Listen To That Are Underappreciated:  

1) Welcome Interstate Managers by Fountains of Wayne
2) Chariot by Gavin DeGraw (Chariot Stripped, which is a whole acoustic version of the album, is almost even more fabulous)
3) Finally Woken by Jem.  That whole album is great.
4) B-Sides, Rarities and Other Stuff by Sarah McLachlan.  She released two albums with this title and they have the most interesting covers, duets,... She even covers The Rainbow Connection on the second volume.
5) London Calling by The Clash.  Maybe not underappreciated, but a few years ago, it was recommended to me on a message board, and I love it so I figure I should pass that on.

Songs That I Think Are Worth a Listen:

1) Diamond Road by Sheryl Crow.  It's one of her songs that is not known at all, and one of my all-time favourite songs.  There's something very hopeful about it.
2) Tupelo Honey by Van Morrison
3) I Can Hear Music by The Beach Boys. I also recently bought Sounds of Summer, which is a compilation of the Beach Boys songs.  I knew many of their songs in passing, but I'm amazed how much I love their music.
4) Someone to Love by Fountains of Wayne.  That's a song that choked me up the first time I heard it.
5) Shadowfeet by Brooke Fraser

Edited because grammar and spelling are not my friends today!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 10:30:42 PM by Morning Angel »
No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

NanReg

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3249
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 01:19:42 PM »
2) Chariot by Gavin DeGraw (Chariot Stripped, which is a whole acoustic version of the album is almost even more fabulous)

MA, I went through a phase where Chariot was all I listened to.  Just rediscovered it on my iPod.  Sadly, I haven't liked his subsequent CD's as much.

Songs That I Think Are Worth a Listen:

2) Tupelo Honey by Van Morrison

*sigh* Cupid's sparrow right through my heart.  Great song.  Very romantic.

There There

• Sales Associate
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 10:26:30 PM »

While I love from the choirgirl hotel, I would have to go with Little Earthquakes.  It's one of my all-time favourite albums.  I have vivid memories of being in undergrad and listening to it from beginning to end on a loop.

I looove Tori (new album May 18!) so I easily could have selected any one of her albums.  "choirgirl" is just my very favorite. 

Also?  Serious Schrute bucks for recommending London Callingcoolicon

summerteeth

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 04:47:45 AM »
Also?  Serious Schrute bucks for recommending London Callingcoolicon

What other Clash albums would you recommend? I love London Calling, wouldn't mind investigating some of their other stuff.

I'm really in the market for some new music at the minute - and different music at that. I've been finding some new (to me) bands that I really like (Beirut, Animal Collective, Magnetic Fields), but they're not a million miles away from the sort of stuff I normally listen to. Are there any music blogs/websites that anyone here would recommend for finding out about new stuff? I'm stuck in a rut and out of the loop these days.

Also, MA, you're totally right about Fountains of Wayne being underrated. Until I got Welcome Interstate Managers, I only really associated them with Stacey's Mom, but they're a lot more substantial than that.

There There

• Sales Associate
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 09:07:55 AM »
Re: The Clash.  For a second step after London Calling, it depends on what you most enjoyed on LC.  If you're more interested in straight-up punk, definitely check out their self-titled debut (both UK and US versions are great and only slightly different).  If you prefer the more experimental side of the band who played with reggae, dub, ska, pop, etc., then you might want to elect for the massive Sandinista!, which was originally a triple-album.  It's huge and uneven and all over the place stylistically but (like The White Album) the mess is what makes it so great. 

Combat Rock is also really amazing.  It has a reputation for being more approachable than other Clash albums (because it has "Should I Stay or Should I Go" and "Rock the Casbah") but it's actually a really wonderfully weird album.  And only a single album this time!  But really, the only "Clash" album you should avoid at all costs is Cut the Crap, which in addition to being awful was released under the band name after Mick Jones and Topper Headon had already left the band and I therefore don't even count it as a real Clash album.   ;D

Re: Music sites to recommend:
Brad Reviews (My absolute favorite personal review website.  Love it.)
Only Solitaire (No longer updates but the archived reviews are massive and great.) 

^ You can also hitch a ride to lots of other great sites in the Web Reviewing Community via links pages on those two. 

summerteeth

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 09:10:24 AM »
Thanks! I'll definitely check that stuff out. Stupidly left my iPod and earphones in my gym bag, and now can't listen to anything today at work. Grrrrrrr!