•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
"Why are you helping her? You're not even dating." She's my friend, and ultimately, my strategy is to sort of merge this into a relationship... without her even knowing.

Author Topic: Music #2: I've Been Putting Money Into CDs For Years.  (Read 5658 times)

summerteeth

• Assistant (to the) Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 65535
Re: Music #2: I've Been Putting Money Into CDs For Years.
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2009, 05:28:25 AM »
Last.fm is great for finding music - you look for one artist that you like, and it will suggest others that are similar. It lets you listen to some of it, but not all. For 'trying before you buy' I'd suggest Spotify. It's my favourite new technology thing lately.

Morning Angel

• CEO
  • Schrute Bucks: 1674
  • LJ icon made by Cornicopia
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2009, 02:49:48 PM »
I just had to put in a recommendation for the self-titled album by Tinted Windows.  Ken Tucker from EW was talking about it, and I'm so glad I got that album.  It's a new band composed of Adam Schlesinger from Fountains of Wayne, Taylor Hanson from Hanson, James Iha from Smashing Pumpkins, and Bun E. Carlos from Cheap Trick.   I enjoyed those first three bands so it's an interesting combination.  It's pop-rock music that's perfect for the summer.
No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Swedge

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 2402
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2009, 03:34:01 PM »
Just a headsup that Coldplay has released a live album free and legal on the internet.

It can be downloaded here.

Morning Angel

• CEO
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2009, 03:43:19 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, Swedge.  I'm not really all that much into Coldplay anymore, but they were amazing in concert when I saw them a few years ago so I'll listen to that.

That reminds me... I saw in the newspaper this morning that Spinal Tap has an official website (which I did not know), and they offer a free download of Saucy Jack, a song about Jack the Ripper, which I think they reference in the movie.

bkwrm

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 1152
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2009, 08:27:54 PM »
Has anyone been to a Relient K concert?  And if so, do they always play the Office theme song?  I would go see them just for that part alone.  Thanks ahead of time!

EmilyHalpert

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 603
  • waiting on your supernova...
    • LJ
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2009, 08:30:09 PM »
Has anyone been to a Relient K concert?  And if so, do they always play the Office theme song?  I would go see them just for that part alone.  Thanks ahead of time!
Yeppers. Well, they did at mine (nearly 2 years ago). I remember because it was on a Thursday night, and it made me feel a bit better for missing a new Office episode.

bkwrm

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 1152
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2009, 09:09:47 PM »
Yeppers. Well, they did at mine (nearly 2 years ago). I remember because it was on a Thursday night, and it made me feel a bit better for missing a new Office episode.

Thank you Emily

mixedberryjam

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 43
  • what'd you expect, lobster?
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2009, 09:11:33 PM »
I just had to put in a recommendation for the self-titled album by Tinted Windows.  Ken Tucker from EW was talking about it, and I'm so glad I got that album.  It's a new band composed of Adam Schlesinger from Fountains of Wayne, Taylor Hanson from Hanson, James Iha from Smashing Pumpkins, and Bun E. Carlos from Cheap Trick.   I enjoyed those first three bands so it's an interesting combination.  It's pop-rock music that's perfect for the summer.

So it's good MA?  I've really wanted to get it because I love their first song - Kind of a Girl and wasn't sure if the whole album would be worth getting. 

Morning Angel

• CEO
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2009, 09:39:42 PM »
So it's good MA?  I've really wanted to get it because I love their first song - Kind of a Girl and wasn't sure if the whole album would be worth getting. 

I keep playing it anyway!  Is the greatest album ever?  No.  But it's light, summery, and entertaining music, so I enjoy that personally.  I put it on when I go walking for a long distance and it puts me in a great mood.

dinknflicker

• Schrute Bucks: 227
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2009, 07:58:39 AM »
No need for me to preface this post with the statement that I am not very technologically gifted, because my question will probably reveal all...
Is there a way for the iPod to know which songs you skip over when you have it on shuffle? That is to say does it "learn" which artists you prefer?  Please don't laugh. Too loudly.
I never know.  I just say it. I say stuff like that, you know, to lighten the tension when things sorta get hard." "That's what she said."

Morning Angel

• CEO
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2009, 08:49:20 AM »
No need for me to preface this post with the statement that I am not very technologically gifted, because my question will probably reveal all...
Is there a way for the iPod to know which songs you skip over when you have it on shuffle? That is to say does it "learn" which artists you prefer?  Please don't laugh. Too loudly.

It's not a silly question.  In older versions of iTunes, there used to be a feature wherein it could choose songs you rated more highly or songs you played more often in the Party DJ feature or whatever it was called.  It wasn't learning what you skipped per se, but you could get mixes influenced by what you liked.  Unfortunately, they've now redesigned the iTunes DJ, and I think it's pretty terrible and doesn't really allow you to do any of that anymore.

jenn

• Schrute Bucks: 1256
    • twitter (I'm sure I'm sorry)
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2009, 02:08:37 PM »
Jay Bennett, a rock musician with deep ties to Chicago best known as a former member of Wilco, died early Sunday morning in downstate Urbana, where he had been running a recording studio, according to a spokesman for his family.

source

That's awfully sad.  :-\  Even though they didn't part ways under the best of terms, but I adored the music that they released during his time with the band.
"Oh, this is gonna be good.  You have that 'I'd rather be making out with a broken bottle' look; which, if history serves, means you're about to say something awkward."

lisahoo

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3270
  • such a dork (I <3 you)
    • lisahoo.livejournal.com
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2009, 11:00:53 PM »
My favorite new* band name of the week:  Men Without Pants.

*new to me anyway.  I don't get out much.

Swedge

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 2402
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2009, 11:28:57 PM »
Neither do they, I'd imagine.

NanReg

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3249
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2009, 09:39:30 AM »
I can see it now:  Men Without Pants, with opening act Men Without Hats  ;D