•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
I donít back down. My sister and I used to be best friends, and we havenít talked in 16 years. Over some disagreement I donít even remember. SoÖ yeah, Iím pretty good.

Author Topic: Music #2: I've Been Putting Money Into CDs For Years.  (Read 5734 times)

devs

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 251
Re: Music #2: I've Been Putting Money Into CDs For Years.
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2009, 07:01:03 PM »
Ween - Voodoo Lady
  That song is excellent.  The Ween guys are a trip - they are from New Hope, PA which is the next town over from where I grew up...funny dudes.

heard "Ghost" by Neutral Milk Hotel, did some research, and bought "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea", which is easily the best record I've heard in ages.
What an amazing album - one of my favs!!!  Mr. Krasinski himself probably turned on a lot of fans to their album when he included them on his itunes playlist some years back.  I've heard it about a zillion times and still gives me goosebumps.  Fun fact:  Jeff Magnum just sat down, picked up his guitar, and played/sang "Oh Comely" in one perfect take - at the very end of the song you can faintly hear in the background the sound engineer in the booth scream "Holy Shit!" in amazement.

Dinkinflicker - I mostly catch new music on XMU on XMRadio in my car....or by checking out music blogs/sites such at Pitchfork (even though most music sites are written by hipster snobs you can still get good recs from them...)

My music recommendation for the day...the Black Keys.  Not a new band....their latest album "Attack and Release" is probably a year old now...but it is incredible and I still find myself listening to it constantly.  All their records are great.    Dan Auerbach currently has a solo album out as well which is pretty decent as well, but I prefer the albums with both Dan and Pat. 

Sticious

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 482
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2009, 03:25:31 PM »
Sticious, that is some lovely taste in music.  You hit on a lot of my favourites with that list.  :)  The only one I'm not familiar with is Patrick Park, but perhaps I need to acquaint myself.  :)

I love Patrick Park.  It's very folk-ish music and they guy is AMAZINGLY talented.  I'd recommend the entire "Loneliness Knows My Name" album to start out.  :)

NanReg

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3249
« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2009, 09:00:03 PM »
This thread has been quiet for a while!  Maybe this will start some conversation.  The radio station that I listen to, WXPN, broadcasting from the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia (www.xpn.org) is conducting a "Desert Island Songs" countdown.  Anyone choosing to vote (by visiting the website I linked), picks their ten favorite "desert island songs"--the songs you couldn't live without if you were stranded on a desert island with only your iPod.  They'll calculate the votes and play the 885 most popular from 9/29 to 10/9.  

So, I've been thinking about this over the past few weeks and finally, after much deliberation, chose the following (and even made it a playlist on my iPod):  

• Let's Stay Together - Al Green
  • You're All I Need to Get By - Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
  • The Nearness of You - Norah Jones
  • This Old Heart of Mine - The Isley Brothers
  • The Very Thought of You - Billie Holiday
  • Best of My Love - Emotions
  • Vienna - Billy Joel
  • I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - U2
  • Knocks Me Off My Feet - Stevie Wonder
  • The Way You Look Tonight - Frank Sinatra

Looks like I'm pretty much a big old sap  laughingicon  It was fun but difficult to narrow down to 10 songs.  Give it some thought and see what you come up with.  They're randomly posting some of the lists on the website.  Interesting to see what people have selected.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 09:11:45 AM by NanReg »

summerteeth

• Assistant (to the) Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 65535
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2009, 08:51:11 AM »
I can't even choose my 10 favourite artists without changing my mind, let alone 10 songs!

Just wanted to pop in here to say that I've been to a couple of outdoor gigs the past couple of nights and had the best time. It was the sort of stuff that I wouldn't normally be that into (Dizzee Rascal on Thursday and 2manydjs last night) but I had so much fun!

Does anyone else find that their musical tastes get broader and more eclectic as they get older? I've always been pretty into music, and I am still guilty of being a bit of a music snob sometimes, but hip hop/rap and dance music was never something I was that into, yet I had the best time seeing both of those. 2manydjs in particular was amazing - two Belgian brothers on stage in tuxedos mixing great mash ups of all kinds of random things (they mixed Slayer with 9-5 by Dolly Parton at one point!) with this huge AV screen behind them, with the cover art of the songs animated. It was sort of Terry Gilliam style - as in they would have the arms and legs of a still photo moving and mouths moving along to the words. It was like Monty Python does rave or something. Very entertaining indeed.

Anyway, I just had so much fun and am still so psyched from it (the next afternoon) that I had to waffle on about it a bit!

beanyb

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 83
« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2009, 05:37:02 PM »
I'm going to see 2manydj's next Saturday at a festival, and I'm really excited for it. They play here fairly regularly, but I've never managed to catch them. I understand the snobbery towards dance music. I used to hate it too, but done well it can be total genius. You should check out Soulwax if you enjoyed 2manydj's.

There is a load of people playing next weekend that I'm just totally psyched for. Orbital, Fleet Foxes, Bat for Lashes, Florence and the Machine, Brian Wilson, Lisa Hannigan, Lykke Li... I could go on and on. It's gonna be great!

summerteeth

• Schrute Bucks: 65535
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2009, 05:59:21 PM »
Electric Picnic? I hate you. I'm so raging I can't go, but no one else I know was up for it/could afford it so I'll be sat at home reading Twitter updates and being miserable, probably!

2manydjs will be awesome - they had the same AV thing at Belsonic that they've been doing at all of the festivals, so make sure you can see the screen! And don't miss the start where they come on on scooters or segways or whatever it was - especially not cos some idiot threw his beer at you then decided to leer at you by way of apology >:(

And yeah, love Soulwax too. I'm not terribly into dance music at all, but I'd heard so many great things about this show in particular that I really wanted to check them out. There's a lot of snobbery against 2manydjs within dance music, from what I could gather - that they're the Oasis of dance music, sort of. But I don't care, I thought they put on a brilliant show and it's great for festivals in particular. So enjoy yourself!

eta: Ooh, also - have you seen the Flaming Lips before? They're amazing live, they played Belsonic last year and it was truly one of the most fantastic experiences I've ever had. It's like a demented kids' party, so so sooooooo much fun and just the best atmosphere ever! Aw, damn, I really wish I could go now :(
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 06:07:22 PM by summerteeth »

dinknflicker

• Schrute Bucks: 227
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2009, 11:01:08 PM »
This thread has been quiet for a while!  Maybe this will start some conversation.  The radio station that I listen to, WXPN, broadcasting from the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia (www.xpn.org) is conducting a "Desert Island Songs" countdown.

nanreg you are so cool because you listen to 'xpn AND you made a rockin' list, particularly your Al Green, Stevie Wonder and U2 selections. In that spirit, here are my choices:

• Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers
    She by Elvis Costello or Charles Aznavour
    Love Got in the Way by Dayna Kurtz
    Into the Mystic by Van Morrison
    Sometime Around Midnight by Toxic Airborne Event
    All I Want for Christmas by Mariah Carey (yeah, I know - but I'm on a desert island, so who's to know?
    Les Miserables (soundtrack, if I'm stuck there long enough, I will learn all the parts and fashion costumes out of coconut shells
    One Love by U2/Mary J. Blige
    Annie Waits by Ben Folds Five
    Sittin' on the Dock on the Bay by Otis Redding
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 11:03:13 PM by dinknflicker »
I never know.  I just say it. I say stuff like that, you know, to lighten the tension when things sorta get hard." "That's what she said."

wendolf

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 651
  • Cousin Mose is awesome.
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2009, 11:41:38 PM »
I usually stay out of the music thread because ... well ... I like music, but I'm not a "music person". My brothers are "music people" and I always feel inadequate around them when we talk tunes. But I like this desert island conversation, and dinknflicker, I forgot all about "She" and "Into the Mystic"! Great songs!

Anyway, there are a ton of songs that I don't have on my ipod that would probably be on my desert island mix, but of the ones I do have, here are a few I can listen to over and over (and over) again:

Every Breath You Take -- The Police
Arms of a Woman -- Amos Lee
Collide (I blame that JAM fan video for this one) -- Howie Day
Come on Get Higher -- Matt Nathanson
Like the Way I Do -- Melissa Etheridge
At Last! -- Etta James
I'm Yours -- Jason Mraz
Blackbird -- I like the Sarah McLachlan version
Get out the Map -- Indigo Girls (I just love this one for some reason)
Keep Breathing -- Ingrid Michaelson

I'd probably need at least one Counting Crows song ... maybe "Anna Begins" or "Round Here"
And some U2. And maybe even "She's Got a Way" by Billy Joel. Oh forget it. This is too hard!

NanReg

• Regional Manager
« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2009, 09:57:24 AM »
Nice choices  You guys are awesome   coolicon  It's a fun task, isn't it?!  Let me tell ya, it was realllllly hard to narrow down to 10.  I think I started out with 40.  Wen, Anna Begins was one of them, as was At Last (definitely the Etta James version).  Love Sarah M.'s version of Blackbird.  Wasn't that on the I Am Sam soundtrack?  Not all that familiar with Matt Nathanson but I adore Car CrashDinknflicker, fine choices!  Don't you worry about your Mariah love--that one's on my iPod, too.  And you may very well be stuck on the island during the holiday season  :D  I should probably be embarrased to admit this, but I do believe that two of your songs are from Hugh Grant movies, and that is more than ok by me  ;)  Oh, and Van Morrison?  Let me just sing, loudly, IIIIIII want to rock your gypsy souuuuullllll  ;D  Excellent.  Amos Lee--another fine XPN artist.  That's a beautiful song.  Finally, wild applause for your ambitious idea to renact the Les Mis soundtrack.  Let me predict that the coconut wardrobe would be immensely popular if you take that show on the road.  Put me on the wait list for tickets, please   ;D

wendolf

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 651
  • Cousin Mose is awesome.
« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2009, 10:44:40 AM »
Yeah, that Les Mis soundtrack is fantastic. Do you hear the people sing? Singing the song of angry men...   ;D If we're stranded together on the island, I'd totally audition for that production. I'd have a pretty good chance of landing the part of Cosette against a monkey ... or a hermit crab.  ;D

Nan, I was organizing our CDs the other day and it was a little embarrassing how many soundtracks we have, but I always like the variety of artists and types of music! I Am Sam is one of them, as are Notting Hill (that's where I found the Elvis Costello version of "She", ), The Big Chill, The Last Kiss, even About Last Night, and as f*&*(# up as Grey's Anatomy is as a show, Mr. Wendolf and I love the music. But I do have some soundtracks that make me go "Huh? Why the hell did I buy this?" Like The Bodyguard, Boomerang (WTF?), The Passion of the Christ ... odd.

dinknflicker

• Schrute Bucks: 227
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2009, 11:00:01 AM »
Yeah, that Les Mis soundtrack is fantastic. Do you hear the people sing? Singing the song of angry men...  ;D If we're stranded together on the island, I'd totally audition for that production. I'd have a pretty good chance of landing the part of Cosette against a monkey ... or a hermit crab.  ;D

Nan, I was organizing our CDs the other day and it was a little embarrassing how many soundtracks we have, but I always like the variety of artists and types of music! I Am Sam is one of them, as are Notting Hill (that's where I found the Elvis Costello version of "She", ), The Big Chill, The Last Kiss, even About Last Night, and as f*&*(# up as Grey's Anatomy is as a show, Mr. Wendolf and I love the music. But I do have some soundtracks that make me go "Huh? Why the hell did I buy this?" Like The Bodyguard, Boomerang (WTF?), The Passion of the Christ ... odd.

wendolf okay I promise not to let the hermit crab win the role of Cosette over you ('cause I mean really, when she went to embrace anyone, all they'd get is pinched - so you're in!).
Now do not disparage The Bodyguard soundtrack because it contains "I Will Always Love You" which is treacle, cliche, replete with hooks meant to suck you in and slightly over-produced, but it is a beautiful song sung by an angelic voice Whitney Houston (before the Bobby Brown weirdness :)). Kevin Costner never looked so cute, either. However, I will admit to buying that cd at a garage sale (not full price) and I keep it hidden under the driver's seat of my car and only take it out during long car trips - alone.
On occasion I like to play music Yoda to my teenager who is very cool and has a very good taste in a wide variety of music. He listens to everything from Kanye to the Beatles to Chopin. So I pulled The Bodyguard cd out one day and said "I want you to listen to this song, this amazing voice and tell me what you think."  He listened quietly and then, in the same voice he uses when I serve brussel sprouts said, "Really, mom?" Guess I'm not so much a Yoda anymore as Jar-Jar Binks with cd's. Oh well.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:07:41 AM by dinknflicker »
I never know.  I just say it. I say stuff like that, you know, to lighten the tension when things sorta get hard." "That's what she said."

NanReg

• Regional Manager
« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2009, 11:13:28 AM »
I'm a huge fan of movie soundtracks.  The most recent one I bought (well...before Away We Go) was Vicky Cristina Barcelona.  I also love the sountrack to Something's Gotta Give, but I have so many others.  Remember Sleepless in Seattle?  That's a great one.  Ah, The Big Chill--I had that on cassette  laughingicon

jenn

• Schrute Bucks: 1256
    • twitter (I'm sure I'm sorry)
« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2009, 12:40:46 PM »
Yeah, that Les Mis soundtrack is fantastic. Do you hear the people sing? Singing the song of angry men...   ;D If we're stranded together on the island, I'd totally audition for that production. I'd have a pretty good chance of landing the part of Cosette against a monkey ... or a hermit crab.  ;D

Oh, I could no doubt listen to the right cast version of Les Mis for hours and days on end.  Super choice.  Bonus points if I get Michael Ball as Marius.  <3  Now I've got to go pull out my TAC video.

Sadly, I think the hermit crab would and could act circles around me, but I think I've got a pretty good chance at landing the role of "stolen loaf of bread."
"Oh, this is gonna be good.  You have that 'I'd rather be making out with a broken bottle' look; which, if history serves, means you're about to say something awkward."

MojoPin

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 448
    • All This Has Happened Before
« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2009, 09:19:26 PM »
Ah, The Big Chill--I had that on cassette  laughingicon

I just watched The Big Chill! That's funny. Those characters had a much better time at UMich than I did. But that soundtrack is pretty amazing. I have a few songs already on my computer but I'm slightly tempted to go download a few more. It was like, "Ah! I love that song!" all through the movie.

My vote for best movie soundtrack goes to American Graffiti. I was obviously born in the wrong generation.
Laura Roslin: Doctor, I need your help. But it's illegal, dangerous and in violation of your oath as an officer.
Doc Cottle: You're a lousy salesman.

norsk_heksen

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 164
  • SHOVE IT!
« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2009, 09:29:53 PM »
Ah, The Big Chill--I had that on cassette  laughingicon

I just watched The Big Chill! That's funny. Those characters had a much better time at UMich than I did. But that soundtrack is pretty amazing. I have a few songs already on my computer but I'm slightly tempted to go download a few more. It was like, "Ah! I love that song!" all through the movie.

My vote for best movie soundtrack goes to American Graffiti. I was obviously born in the wrong generation.

Hee! Ditto, MojoPin. My vote goes to Almost Famous -- a little bit later than yours, but still. :) Unless the category is original soundtracks, in which case my votes go to Pirates of the Caribbean and Hairspray (the movie -- never seen the show).
Now I see a family where there once was none. Now we've just begun. Yeah, we're gonna fly to the sun. -Kenny Loggins

~心心相印~~印相心心~