•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
Sometimes, I think she holds on to faxes.

Author Topic: Getting in Shape #5: Even the Hot Ones Aren't Really That Skinny  (Read 10255 times)

xoxoxo

• CEO
  • Schrute Bucks: 1089
    • Single Serving
Five times the fun. :)

Bringing over dm's last post.  CONGRATULATIONS ON THE HOUSE!!!  So exciting!

Thanks Alamos

I'm dead tired. I've been sleeping fine through this whole process until last night. I'm on 4 hours of really crappy sleep which has made me cranky. Cranky days always make it difficult to stay on track. I'm thisclose to snapping at someone and I've only been at work for 20 minutes. It's going to be a loooong effing day. And I think I'm going to break it off with my bf, so we'll see if I remember to eat dinner. Busy busy busy.

So a little snippet of today's Daily Dose from NS:
Don't eat anything that you can't stab with a fork.
It may sound ridiculous, but this rule of thumb can come in handy. At an event, it's much more difficult to snack on potato chips when you have to try to lance them, and we hear it is nearly near impossible to eat mixed nuts this way! Leaving the extras in the bowl can not only help your calorie count, it will help you feel more in control.

If you catch yourself grazing at events this summer, stop immediately and have a glass of water. Just because you already indulged in a little celebration cake, there is no reason you have to keep going. Remember—you're in control!

Too Late Kev

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 1414
    • Twitter
Re: Getting in Shape #5: Even the Hot Ones Aren't Really That Skinny
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 12:45:32 AM »
So this is a scale victory, but it's not mine...I think Mr. Kev has lost some weight! :)

A while back, after I'd been serving salads about once a day to him, generally with dinner, for months and months, I asked him if he had lost any weight.  He stepped on the scale and said "x.  Same as it always is."  Then maybe a month or so ago, I instituted family walks/bike rides after dinner.  Yesterday when I asked him to step on the scale he said "x - 7.  I usually range between x - 5 and x + 5." ::)  So by my reckoning, the man's lost 7 pounds -- he's getting a little bit more in shape right along with me. ;)

Mind you, I recall during one of my pregnancies that I was getting dangerously close to his weight, which at the time was about x - 15, so he's been creeping up for years.  It's about time he starts creeping back down!

(Apologies for being so math-y.)

For me the scale is sticking within a reasonable range and not straying back to my higher decade, so things are okay.

Too Late Kev

• Regional Manager
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 11:30:13 PM »
Are we still getting in shape?  Where is everyone?  I'm going to go do the stomach exercises that I've been putting off all day, even though it's late.  Who's with me? ** runs off pathetically, not realizing no one is "with her" :-[ **

carbondalien

• Jr. Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 57
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 01:39:08 AM »
Are we still getting in shape?  Where is everyone?  I'm going to go do the stomach exercises that I've been putting off all day, even though it's late.  Who's with me? ** runs off pathetically, not realizing no one is "with her" :-[ **

I've been slacking a bit exercise-wise recently. I've still been eating good stuff, but haven't been able to jump on the treadmill like I'd want to. I'm just way too tired. Tomorrow I'm going to make an effort to do it. I think I lost a few pounds just from eating well without exercising, so I think that's going to give me the motivation to exercise because if I can lose just by eating right, I'm imagining what I can lose eating right + exercise.

So I should probably get to bed so I'll have energy tomorrow. :)

lisahoo

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3270
  • such a dork (I <3 you)
    • lisahoo.livejournal.com
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 07:41:56 AM »
I'm still around, but discouraged with my progress.  I've been training for a triathlon -- ran a 5K yesterday.  10 years ago if I was working out this much the pounds would have been jumping off me.  Not this time.  ::pouts::

ANYHOW -- I did make my goal for the 5K, which was to beat 45 minutes -- my time was 42 something (I'm still in the run/walk stage, run 3 minutes, walk 2, more or less).  And my girls were the cutest darn cheerleaders out there. 

Now that the 5K is done, I need to work on my swimming & biking.  Ugh.  Swimming is incredibly tough -- I have to stop between laps and take serious breathie-breaks.  It sucks to get old...

EmilyHalpert

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 603
  • waiting on your supernova...
    • LJ
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 07:45:15 AM »
Yeah I was supposed to run a 5K this morning. So didn't happen. Life just hasn't been conducive to caring. Have been holding steady, but not very healthy.
Thankfully, its a bit slower now (yay for only two jobs a day?) and then after the fourth again it should slow down to near normal... I think. I just don't know what to do about this, so its just not working.

Callisto

• Human Resources
  • Schrute Bucks: 1214
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 08:08:28 AM »
I'm still here, but my progress was stalled for a while there.  I did, however, join a yoga studio a few weeks ago and I love it!  I've been going two or three times a week and I'm already feeling so much better--not just in terms of getting in shape but just in general.  I was starting to get headaches every day again like I used to, and they're gone. Also all the stiffness in my neck is gone.  Yay for yoga!

So I'm back on track and on a downward path again.  (I was going to say downward spiral but that sounds bad. :D)  I haven't gained back anything I lost earlier this year, which is good.  Onward ho!

Love is a cunning weaver of fables and fantasies. - Sappho

lisahoo

• Regional Manager
  • such a dork (I <3 you)
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 08:12:18 AM »
are you calling me a ho?

Callisto

• Human Resources
  • Schrute Bucks: 1214
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 08:16:49 AM »
lisahoo, coming alive! I like it.  
Love is a cunning weaver of fables and fantasies. - Sappho

wendolf

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 651
  • Cousin Mose is awesome.
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 02:08:30 PM »

Now that the 5K is done, I need to work on my swimming & biking.  Ugh.  Swimming is incredibly tough -- I have to stop between laps and take serious breathie-breaks.  It sucks to get old...

Lisahoo, I trained for a triathlon a couple of years ago and was the same way with the swimming ... until I figured out my problem. I wasn't breathing often enough. I was trying to breathe every four strokes (so, breathe, stroke, stroke, stroke, breathe). When I tried breathing every other stroke (breate, stroke, breathe), it got much easier. With a nice slow/steady pace and more regular breathing, the swimming became much easier. I got to the point where I could swim for 45 minutes (once I actually swam for an hour!) with few or no breaks. Just a suggestion ... but it worked for me.  :D

I've been getting up at 5:45 to work out with some friends in the park. We do a kind of circuit training, I guess. One minute of one thing (running in place with high knees, for example) and then one minute of something else (squats with weights), etc. It's actually been really fun because it's a great workout, I'm working out with friends, and it caters to a group with varying levels of fitness. Besides being tired in the afternoon and having a really sore a$$ for the past two days, it's been fantastic.

lisahoo

• Regional Manager
  • such a dork (I <3 you)
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 03:53:05 PM »
Luckily, HooHusband is an experienced triathlete (he's done two Olympic distance tris, which is 1/2 the Ironman distance).  And he's been swimming for a while, competitively in HS, then a clinic again recently, so he's been a big help.

Now I just need the virus that's been going around our family to finish up so we can both get to the pool long enough for him to coach me.

The breathing thing is important, wen -- I'm already working on that bit of advice.  Since it's 12 pool lengths, I need to go out breathing even more frequently than I think I should at the beginning so I don't run out of gas too soon.

dm

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 882
  • Allons-y
    • My Recipe Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 10:26:15 PM »
I'm also here, just really busy, getting ready to move is always chaotic.

I do need to buy another new pair of jeans though in a whopping size 5!! Woot. partyhaticon
Check out my icons at LJ.

xoxoxo

• CEO
  • Schrute Bucks: 1089
    • Single Serving
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 12:10:52 PM »
The swimming thing is what gets me about the triathalon.  I'd run and bike for sure so I think maybe that's more my speed.

That and swimming in anything other than a pool during the actual race.  I'm prissy and I'm not afraid to admit it. :)

Things have been good here.  I went to a shower yesterday and ate pretty well - then stopped drinking wine after the 2 glasses + a mimosa I had there.  My brother, sis-in-law and nieces were over for dinner and we had a little BBQ.  I always get into a trap at home where I don't realize how much I drink since we're all just sitting around talking so I was glad I reisted.

The rundown today:

B - 1/2 PB sandwich on whole wheat
L - Ham, Swiss and mustard on a sandwich thin
Snack - carrots and red pepper dipped in hummus
D - leftover quinoa, shrimp and veggies

Gym: after work - treadmill action of some sort.

I leave for Miami in a week (ish).  I hope to be down a few more pounds before then.  I think it's $35 a day for the gym there.  Jerks.  But we're also on the beach so I think I might get up early and walk there instead.  I'll bring my pedometer.  I'm going for my friends b-day and if I don't do something active I might come back gaining back all the weight I lost.

Kidding...but still. :)

dm size 5?!? You're going to disappear soon!!

lisahoo

• Regional Manager
  • such a dork (I <3 you)
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 12:49:12 PM »
This triathlon has a pool swim.  12 laps, snaking up & back along the whole pool.*

Which is why it's really important not to be 'that person' who gets placed near the front of the line and then clogs up the swim lane becuase they're so slow.  I'd rather be the last person in the pool, the last person on the bike and the last person to cross the finish line.  Which I may very well be.

*Still too much swimming, but at least I won't need to be fished out by a rescue boat.

Too Late Kev

• Regional Manager
    • Twitter
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 12:59:20 PM »
xo, walking on the beach is great exercise, and much more interesting than walking on a treadmill or whatever in a $35/day hotel gym.  Just be safe -- no secluded beaches! (/worrier)