•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
Pam, let them ring.  Let the bells of Dunder Mifflin chime out your love because... this is really good.  This is really good. My heart soars with the eagle's nest.

Author Topic: Getting in Shape #5: Even the Hot Ones Aren't Really That Skinny  (Read 10264 times)

Moxie

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 1284
  • "Eat my shorts, John Krasinski!" -- Rainn Wilson
Re: Getting in Shape #5: Even the Hot Ones Aren't Really That Skinny
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2009, 07:34:40 PM »
Hey, peeps.   piratesmiley

CONGRATULATIONS to xoxoxo on 50 lbs off!  Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been on stall the last few months, but I'm hoping planning on turning that back around.  Longer post later. 

If the devil were to explode, and evil was gone forever - what sort of party would you have?

EmilyHalpert

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 603
  • waiting on your supernova...
    • LJ
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2009, 09:38:34 AM »
Quick question - does anyone know how accurate the Wii Fit distance thing is, specifically in Free Run. At the gym, and even during the 5K, the fastest I've ever gone is 6 mph, and averaging about 5.6 mph. But I did Free Run this morning, and not really pushing myself at all, I did 8.21 mph. And that just seems a bit out of whack.

dm

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 882
  • Allons-y
    • My Recipe Blog
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2009, 01:12:27 PM »
It's not accurate at all. Since you're holding the remote it's judging by movement and if you really swing your arms or don't swing them much it'll be all over the place. I was doing the free run at one point, keeping a consistent speed and it had me practically walking at one second and then bolting across the place at another, and yet I was the same speed in my living room. It's all based off of the sensor and where it's aimed, etc.
Check out my icons at LJ.

EmilyHalpert

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 603
  • waiting on your supernova...
    • LJ
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2009, 01:42:25 PM »
That's what I assumed. I knew it couldn't be totally accurate, but wasn't quite sure what to make of it.
Still was a good workout though. That thing is so helpful for the days where I can't make it to the gym!

dinknflicker

• Assistant (to the) Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 227
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2009, 08:36:04 PM »
mr. dinknflicker and I run together a few times a week. He is so much faster than I am that he doubles back after the 2nd mile. He will then run with me for about 10 steps, say something encouraging and then take off to his cruising speed and I begin to eat his dust. His speed pushes me to a much better workout than I would do myself, but it's almost as though he absorbed an Ethiopian distance runner or something. Yesterday I played possum and walked the last 1/4 mile or so until we were just in front of our house: I sprinted and won. My guess is that he will never fall for this again. But for now, I get to wear the yellow jersey.
Does anyone else work out w/their spouse/significant other?
I never know.  I just say it. I say stuff like that, you know, to lighten the tension when things sorta get hard." "That's what she said."

wendolf

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 651
  • Cousin Mose is awesome.
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2009, 09:07:01 PM »
Mr. Wendolf is 6'4" and a runner (and I'm ... neither), so we don't run together. Back when I was teaching step aerobics (ages ago in the mid-/late-90s), he came to a couple of my classes. We've done yoga together, played on a volleyball league together, we ride bikes, ski, etc. And we've done races together (like 5Ks), but we don't run next to each other (he finishes a good 10 minutes faster than I do).

I like the idea of exercising together more, but he's in much better shape than I am and I usually just end up frustrated, no matter how encouraging he is. The only thing I can still beat him in is swimming. I float, he sinks like a stone.  ;D

lisahoo

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3270
  • such a dork (I <3 you)
    • lisahoo.livejournal.com
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2009, 09:54:39 PM »
The husband has done Olympic distance triathlons and the Marine Corp Marathon -- so when we bike, he gets the trailer with the munchkins in it attached to his bike.  Hey, I carried them long enough, it's his turn.  >:D

We'll take turns swimming laps at the pool, one swims while the other hangs out at the baby pool.  He can at least see me well enough to tell me if my form is OK, or more likely that I'm picking my head straight up to gulp air and it's killing my momentum.   >:(

One cool thing is that through the miracle of the internets, I have found other 'Athena' class triathletes and other beginners -- it was very helpful to find someone else who is frustrated at the lack of clothing for women with actual boobs that need to be restrained.  (Shelf bra?  Who the hell do they think they're kidding?)  Here's a blog with links to lots of cool sites that sell athletic gear for women, some of it for the more generously sized gals: The Athena and Clydesdale closet.  (Hey, I'm not fooling myself that I'll win, but I can finish, dammit.  And some women a LOT bigger than I am have passed my husband out on the course, especially on the bike leg.)

I've mentioned Title Nine Sports before, another favorite is Team Estrogen -- you can search by sport or by size. 
Junonia carries some good looking active swimwear in sizes 14 and up. 
Terry Bicycles specializes in cycling gear & apparel for women

*Athena = female athletes of 150 pounds or more

AngieMae

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 127
    • Bring Back (Quality) Nick at Nite
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2009, 10:13:40 PM »
Hello Everyone!

I know I showed my face here one other time and never returned. Basically it boils down to me being lazy. Which is why I need all of this more than ever. I'm actually about 5 days strong on my new eat right and exercise lifestyle I'd like to accomplish. I think my tipping point was when I checked my BMI last Wednesday and saw that I was for the first time in my life in the overweight category. So needless to say I am serious about getting back to my happy weight. My goal weight is 147, and I am near 170-172. I'm about 5'9'' so I figure 147 is not only acceptable, but healthy for my frame. It would be cool if I could get back to a 6, as I miss my favorite jeans dearly. I'm in between a 10 and 12 now, and to my that's just unacceptable.

Any tips on how to fight through and stay on track? Like I said I'm going on day 6 tomorrow, and I'm very proud of myself thus far (I don't know that I've ever gone this far since I started to gain and vowed I wouldn't gain anymore.. which brings me 30lbs heavier than I was 3 years ago).

I am all excited too because I joined a volleyball league at the gym. I pretty much played 6 years straight through jr. high, high school and tournament play, which is probably why I was a thin as I was (I was about 128-134 and a size 2 for a good while). I miss playing so much, and I hope it gets me back on the right track.

I think I'm being reasonable. I'm not giving myself a deadline, so whenever it happens I will be exstatic. But anyone out there as an outside party think I'm going about it the wrong way, or could give me some pointers in the right direction, I'd be much appreciative.

Here's to hoping I show my face in here more often! cheersicon
"I'm sorry I annoyed you, with my friendship."

Bring Back (Quality) Nick at Nite

Too Late Kev

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 1414
    • Twitter
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2009, 01:04:28 AM »
I pretty much played 6 years straight through jr. high, high school and tournament play

...and went to volleyball camp most summahs! Pamsmiley (Oh, come on.  You were all thinking it. ;))

Angie Mae, it sounds like you're doing the right things.  

It sounds like you have your eating under control, but if you have any doubt of that, you could do a food journal for a few days.  People here have different theories on how often to weigh themselves.  Some say only weekly (or even less often), and some of us do it daily.  I'd suggest whenever you do weigh yourself, write it down; it's easier to keep track that way.  I weigh myself daily and write it down, along with my number of steps for the day and any other exercise.  My intent is to take various measurements and write those down weekly or so, but that doesn't usually happen; when I do take them, they seem to be all over the place.

And I'm here to report on my stomach exercises... my goal was 6 or 7 days a week, and this week I got (Michael Scott drumroll that goes on and on and on until you don't even mind hearing what Michael Scott has to say if he would just stop that damned...) 6 out of 7!  Hurray!  The day I skipped was an on-purpose skip -- I'd eaten too much (restaurant!) and felt so bloated that stomach exercises would have hurt, and not in the good way.  Every other day, even if it had gotten kind of late or I was tired or whatever, I sucked it up and did them.  On to week 2!

dinknflicker

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2009, 12:23:55 PM »
Okay we need to get mr. wendolf and siir lisahoo and mr. dinkn together, let them run their big hearts out while we go grab a cool drink at the mall and shop for cute clothers. Who's in?
I never know.  I just say it. I say stuff like that, you know, to lighten the tension when things sorta get hard." "That's what she said."

dinknflicker

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2009, 12:26:42 PM »

I am all excited too because I joined a volleyball league at the gym. I pretty much played 6 years straight through jr. high, high school and tournament play, which is probably why I was a thin as I was (I was about 128-134 and a size 2 for a good while). I miss playing so much, and I hope it gets me back on the right track.

I think I'm being reasonable. I'm not giving myself a deadline, so whenever it happens I will be exstatic. But anyone out there as an outside party think I'm going about it the wrong way, or could give me some pointers in the right direction, I'd be much appreciative.

Here's to hoping I show my face in here more often! cheersicon

angiemae sounds like your initial steps are outstanding. You sound motivated and positive. The strongest support you'll get is from youself when you look in the mirror. Keep doing that!

wendolf

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 651
  • Cousin Mose is awesome.
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2009, 04:45:33 PM »
Okay we need to get mr. wendolf and siir lisahoo and mr. dinkn together, let them run their big hearts out while we go grab a cool drink at the mall and shop for cute clothers. Who's in?

Ooooh, I'm TOTALLY in. Especially for the cool drink.  ;D

xoxoxo

• CEO
  • Schrute Bucks: 1089
    • Single Serving
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2009, 07:13:01 PM »
Hi!    wavingicon

I'm back!  Did you miss me?   laughingicon

My vacation was great.  I did a lot of drinking but I also walked every single day.  One day I walked twice and topped out at 6 (very steamy and sweaty) miles.  It was fun - but now I need a vacation from my vacation.

Seriously.

I left Miami for a lower key vacation w/my uncle and cousin in Boca Raton.  At a store in Delray Beach I bought these jeans as my 50 lb reward.

They are a tad tight - and were on sale there for $80 so I think they're worth it.  This might be TMI but I have literally no ass - and these make me appear to have one.  I'm so anxious to wear them on a semi cool night you have no idea.   I normally would never have even tried to put them on but I'm so glad I did.  Very exciting.

Glad to see some old and new people posting in here!  I have tons of pics from my vacation - if I can find one that fits I'll try and post a new updated progress pic.

eta: OK this one isn't a comparison - but it'll give you some idea what I look like now.  It was just posted on Facebook so I figured what the hell.  Please note I was out at a (kind of annoying) club in Miami.  I don't dress (or pose!) like this on a daily basis.

(click to show/hide)

Hope everyone is doing well!  I'm home tonight and can't wait to cook something.  Something easy though - I had a little bit of a bumpy flight and can already feel exhaustion setting in.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 10:13:17 PM by xoxoxo »

AngieMae

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 127
    • Bring Back (Quality) Nick at Nite
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2009, 10:47:49 PM »
Thanks for the support dinknflicker and Too Late Kev! Today was another successful day. Although I pose a question to everyone...

Does anyone give themselves an eating time limit, as in "I will not let myself eat food after x o'clock" ?

Reason being, I would love to tell myself to not eat anything after 8pm, but my schedule it so wacked out that it's hard to abide by that rule. For example today, I worked 12-8. I ate something before I left my house, and packed food for the day (smallish slice lasagna, a side salad, a turkey sandwich and some grapes) which I ate around 12:30 (lasagna), 3:30 (salad) and 6 (sandwich and grapes). I actually got out of work early around 7, and went straight to the gym. My friend called me around 8, so I met up with him afterwards to hang out at this park and go for a mini walk. I got home around 9:30 (which is when I would have gotten home anyway if I worked normal and did the gym after) I was hungry. So I ate. It definitely wasn't binge eating amount, but the amount of a small dinner (small slice ham, mango salsa, 2 mini peroigi's, carrots and asparagus).

Am I doing this wrong? Should I try to not eat? I think i should just pack granola bars and eat one on the ride home. So at least I'm not starving myself, but I'm not putting too much more in my body too late. Any suggestions or tips on ways to not be so hungry after the gym?

(Side note, here's to day two of being apart of this thread!!!)
"I'm sorry I annoyed you, with my friendship."

Bring Back (Quality) Nick at Nite

xoxoxo

• CEO
  • Schrute Bucks: 1089
    • Single Serving
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2009, 10:57:16 PM »
Angie welcome!  It's good to *see* new faces here!

I would suggest maybe logging what you eat into a site like Sparkpeople (I say that b/c it's free) and see how many calories you are consuming.  If it's within a good weight loss range I wouldn't sweat it.

I snack occasionally but I'm more of a meal person than a mini-meal person - if that makes any sense.  It sounds to me like you are balancing portion size and healthy foods with exercise which is (IMHO) the way to go.

Hope that helps!