•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
Jim and Pam are together, Ryan is visiting, the only thing that could make this day better is ice cream.

Author Topic: Getting in Shape #5: Even the Hot Ones Aren't Really That Skinny  (Read 8787 times)

NanReg

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3249
Re: Getting in Shape #5: Even the Hot Ones Aren't Really That Skinny
« Reply #465 on: August 08, 2011, 06:22:11 PM »
We have a rowing machine (or "erg") at home, dinkn.  Both my husband and son row and they had to have the machine...yet I'm the one who uses it most (since I hate to see an expensive piece of equipment collect dust).  It's a great workout, especially when you're pressed for time.  It takes me over 11 minutes to do 2,000 meters, so good for you!

Callisto

• Human Resources
  • Schrute Bucks: 1214
« Reply #466 on: August 08, 2011, 07:03:35 PM »
Both my husband and son row and they had to have the machine...yet I'm the one who uses it most (since I hate to see an expensive piece of equipment collect dust). 

My brother and I used to laugh about those Bowflex (or some variation thereof) commercials that brag how it folds up for "easy storage under the bed."  Yeah, because that's where it will usually be.  :D
Love is a cunning weaver of fables and fantasies. - Sappho

SnoWhiteSally

• CEO
  • Schrute Bucks: 860
  • Looking for her Jim.
    • Sally's Boutique
« Reply #467 on: August 08, 2011, 11:16:27 PM »
I really want to use the rowing machine more. I just get so bored. And I hate how I can't see how far I've rowed.

NanReg

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3249
« Reply #468 on: August 09, 2011, 09:37:26 AM »
I find that I definitely have to row while watching TV, otherwise it would be torture.

dinknflicker

• Assistant (to the) Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 227
« Reply #469 on: September 17, 2011, 10:05:01 AM »
We have a rowing machine (or "erg") at home, dinkn.  Both my husband and son row and they had to have the machine...yet I'm the one who uses it most (since I hate to see an expensive piece of equipment collect dust).  It's a great workout, especially when you're pressed for time.  It takes me over 11 minutes to do 2,000 meters, so good for you!

Well that was over a month ago and I've not been back in the saddle again, as it were.
I never know.  I just say it. I say stuff like that, you know, to lighten the tension when things sorta get hard." "That's what she said."

SnoWhiteSally

• CEO
  • Schrute Bucks: 860
  • Looking for her Jim.
    • Sally's Boutique
« Reply #470 on: September 20, 2011, 12:17:50 AM »
What resistance do you pull on the rower?

Italian_Food

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 235
  • Oh, Good Lord...
« Reply #471 on: January 22, 2012, 08:51:21 AM »
Does anybody here do Weight Watchers?  I joined Weight Watchers online today because I seriously need to lose some weight.  I need ideas on how I should plan out my day and budget my points.
-"Beesley, are you threatening me?"
-"Jim! Jim, Jim, Jim. I'm not threatening you. I love you. But you should know, you're on very dangerous ground."

Callisto

• Human Resources
  • Schrute Bucks: 1214
« Reply #472 on: May 02, 2012, 10:26:03 AM »
I'm so excited! I've lost almost ten pounds. Granted, it's week nine of my diet and I was hoping for faster progress, but I'll take it. And I'm well aware that if only I could give up beer and wine altogether, it would likely go faster...

Does anybody here do Weight Watchers?  I joined Weight Watchers online today because I seriously need to lose some weight.  I need ideas on how I should plan out my day and budget my points.

I don't do WW, but I have a plan that works. I lost 60 pounds some years ago, and somehow gained most of it back after keeping it off for FIVE YEARS! (Cue the self-loathing at allowing such a thing to happen.)  I have a simple plan of counting calories with a food journal, and tracking exercise.  (Also, it's shocking how often you'll just randomly snack if you're not paying attention. If you have to write it down, you think about it first.) The formula I found all those years ago for determining how many calories you should have a day is this: your weight x activity, with three options: x 12 if you're sedentary, x 15 if you're moderately active, x 18 if you're really active.  This will tell you what you need to maintain your current weight. Cut 500 calories a day from that and that's a pound a week. I'm supposed to be keeping to around 1400 but I keep creeping up to 1500-something on average.  I track a week, then average out the calories, note what exercise I've done, and try to do better the next week in both aspects.

Exercise is the key to everything. I'm lucky to live a block away from a lovely park where I can do laps. It's rather hilly, too, so it's great resistance - my subdivision is called High Point and my house is at the very top of the highest point.  :) I started by just walking, because that's something I love and can always do. At first it took me 40 minutes to do two laps; now I can do three in 50.  :) There's a pretty cool thing at the park that I noticed, too - Colorado Parks and Rec have deemed it a "Flat 14er," meaning that it's hilly enough to be comparable to climbing a mountain - it says if you walk it 15 times you'll have climbed Sunshine Peak (15,000 feet).  :)

Anyway, that's not really what I wanted to talk about. I started swimming last week at the local rec center. I swam a lot when I was younger and have always loved it - but I forgot just how awesome a workout it is until I did laps for 40 minutes last week on my first foray into a pool in some years. I have read a number of things that say swimming isn't a great way to lose weight, though.  I think I am going to just not believe it. (Also, there are contradicting reports. But I've always heard that about swimming.) The resistance and the full-body workout are amazing - and I refuse to believe it's not an excellent way to burn calories and tone up.  Does anybody else have a swimming workout? So far I'm just getting my stamina back. I went for an hour yesterday and didn't have to rest too often, but I need to work on speed and form.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:31:49 AM by Callisto »
Love is a cunning weaver of fables and fantasies. - Sappho

Too Late Kev

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 1414
    • Twitter
« Reply #473 on: May 06, 2012, 03:46:00 PM »
I  have a friend who swims a mile some number of days a week (3 - 5, maybe?) and it definitely keeps her slim. Congrats on the 10 pounds! It sounds like you're doing everything right.

funkybutt

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 390
    • Martin Donovan site
« Reply #474 on: July 31, 2013, 09:29:14 AM »
I've been walking on a treadmill for a few months (I think the fastest is 3.2 which is brisk, but not jogging), but I want to add some strength training. I don't have a gym membership and I find that I'll never just pick up weights while I'm watching TV. I have P90X and I know that it's advanced, but I did a few discs dumbed down to my level. However, I'm kinda afraid of hurting myself since I'm really just a beginner.

We also bought Jillian's 30 Day Shred, but I read it's really bad for knees (and I've had knee problems since hitting my 40s).

I thought about looking online for some free videos, but again, I don't want something that's going to cause injuries. Any advice for a beginner with motivation issues (ie: not something that's going to take a lot of time, 1 hour, out of the day)?
Damon Lindelof says there's no need for an island in a Lost-themed ride at Disney World: "Just put people in a black room, spin them around and punch them in the face and tell them 'You just had the Lost experience.'"

funkybutt

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 390
    • Martin Donovan site
« Reply #475 on: May 27, 2014, 08:47:57 AM »
Anyone out there still trying to lose weight? I just got the Jillian Michael's Body Revolution and I think it's just what I was looking for. It has 15 discs and it's kinda like P90X - where you do different exercises each day, targeting different muscles, but it's only 30 minutes (P90X is an hour), and it's beginner friendly. I read online that there are still knee issues with some of her stuff, but I'm just going to modify it so I don't hurt myself.

Last year, I ended up losing 20 pounds in 3 months - a little bit of exercise, but mostly b/c I was eating better (mostly homemade and vegetarian). I was doing so good, and then I fell off the wagon and it's taken me a year to try to get back into it. We just moved to Long Island, and I don't have any of my cooking equipment (we're in a rental and everything is packed up), so it's hard to cook anything decent, but we'll be in a house by the end of next month and I'm looking forward to being able to change my diet at that time. I'm sure I'll lose weight..... just in time for Fall.  ;)
Damon Lindelof says there's no need for an island in a Lost-themed ride at Disney World: "Just put people in a black room, spin them around and punch them in the face and tell them 'You just had the Lost experience.'"

wendolf

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 651
  • Cousin Mose is awesome.
« Reply #476 on: May 27, 2014, 06:20:42 PM »
I'm always trying to lose weight.  :-\ Have been on a downward spiral since I turned 44 ... seems like the weight is not budging. Maybe I'll check out Jillian's program. I did my own little circuit training routine in the back yard on Thursday and was so sore that I couldn't work out again for three days. I've got to ease into this again, I guess. So frustrating...