•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
I'm fast. I'm very fast.  Like Forrest Gump.  Except I'm not an idiot.

Author Topic: Movies #3: I've Seen Over 240 of Them  (Read 22801 times)

Morning Angel

• CEO
  • Schrute Bucks: 1674
  • LJ icon made by Cornicopia
Movies #3: I've Seen Over 240 of Them
« on: July 06, 2009, 05:26:33 PM »
No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

sachiel

• Jr. Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 45
Re: Movies #3: I've Seen Over 240 of Them
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 07:09:02 PM »
Regarding Into the Wild, I just watched it today, and had this immediate response: 'Into the Wild: douchebag with daddy issues has lucky encounters while running away from all his perceived troubles then dies from stupidity.'

Now, I don't say that to belittle what McCandless did, but the movie really brings to the front what a not wise idea it was for him to live in Alaska like that.  This movie, like Rudy, is one where you'd say "Oh come on!" if it wasn't all based on a true story.

It's like Forrest Gump, but with an unhappy ending.

WalkInLove

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 801
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 07:11:45 PM »
I think you nailed Into the Wild, at least for me, sachiel.  I found it utterly depressing and wanted to smack the guy for being so obtuse.  At least the music was lovely.  ;)

Callisto

• Human Resources
  • Schrute Bucks: 1214
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 07:20:07 PM »
I haven't seen Into the Wild, but it sounds a bit like Grizzly Man, about that fellow Timothy Treadwell who went and lived with the grizzlies in Alaska.  It's a really interesting film by Werner Herzog, with amazing footage by Treadwell, not only of the bears but of the foxes and other wildlife he 'befriended'... no matter how you feel about the naivete of a guy who thought he could live among bears without the inevitable, tragic ending, it's a pretty gripping story.     
Love is a cunning weaver of fables and fantasies. - Sappho

EmilyHalpert

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 603
  • waiting on your supernova...
    • LJ
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 07:26:23 PM »
I liked Into the Wild, but a lot of it is probably because of my English teacher in college. We read the book, and he just did a great job of making it come alive, even in the naivety of McCandless's actions. So when I saw it, it just brought that all back, and I absolutely loved it. Plus, I loved the line "happiness is only real when shared" because that just has always struck a cord with me.

Too Late Kev

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 1414
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 12:02:03 AM »
Quote from: Cousin Mose on the Movies #2 thread
Saw Transformers over the weekend.

Boy, that thing just kept goin', huh? It's at best, a 90 minute movie, somehow crammed into 2 1/2 hours.

I just saw the first Transformers (borrowed from the library) because I told a friend that maybe I'd see the second with her.  It was okay, but frankly kind of dull.  I was tired, but still, if I'm trying not to doze off during an action movie, it's not a good sign.  I liked Shia LaBeouf and all the human actors, but the robots fighting/rolling around in the streets got old really fast as did the silliness of one guy talking like a street kid, on talking like Dirty Harry, etc. 

I don't think I can justify spending money to see the second one in the theater; I'm going to have to wait until it comes to the library.

Swedge

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 2402
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 12:06:44 AM »
For the benefit of the college students and younger on the forum, a "library" is a place with hardcopy, shareware content. They used to be common, along with phone booths, Tower Records stores and "dating".

Too Late Kev

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 1414
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 12:08:06 AM »
Yes, I should have explained. :D

MojoPin

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 448
    • All This Has Happened Before
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 12:09:36 AM »
For the benefit of the college students and younger on the forum, a "library" is a place with hardcopy, shareware content. They used to be common, along with phone booths, Tower Records stores and "dating".

I don't understand. Phones in booths? I don't buy it.
Laura Roslin: Doctor, I need your help. But it's illegal, dangerous and in violation of your oath as an officer.
Doc Cottle: You're a lousy salesman.

sora

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 2281
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 12:17:26 AM »

Hey, I'm not too far off from being a college student, I learned how to use the card catalog and the Dewey Decimal System. Heck, I was a TA in my high school library for a semester.  :D What did happen to my love of books... hmm...

On-topic of movies...

The newest HP movie is coming out next week. It's definitely going to knock out Transformers. However, I'm curious on why the last two movies were rated PG-13 but this one is rated PG. It's been a while since I blasted through the books but I thought that this one is a bit darker than the previous ones. Interesting...

Morning Angel

• CEO
  • Schrute Bucks: 1674
  • LJ icon made by Cornicopia
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 12:18:26 AM »
One of the things that has changed drastically in libraries for undergrad who did their degrees even 2 or 3 years after me is that they never had to endure the torture of standing next to a copier for hours on end, having to photocopy lecture overheads or endless journal articles from big old bound volumes.  They never know how lucky they are to have PowerPoint and electronic databases in their lives!

Back to the topic of movies, I love summer because I take it as an opportunity to watch a boatload of movies given that there's nothing on TV.  From Friday to Sunday,  I watched Public Enemies (okay), New In Town (terminally stupid), Ordinary People (excellent), The Graduate (also very good), Blood Diamond (very good but it was on TV and I fell asleep so I missed the last 45 minutes so I'll have to rent it to see the rest), and Just Friends (Ryan Reynolds couldn't save that dreck).  I'm doing a lot of sorting through papers and other boring organizational tasks this week so thank God for movies for keeping me entertained.
No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

kreidy

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 487
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 09:45:32 AM »
The newest HP movie is coming out next week. It's definitely going to knock out Transformers. However, I'm curious on why the last two movies were rated PG-13 but this one is rated PG. It's been a while since I blasted through the books but I thought that this one is a bit darker than the previous ones. Interesting...

I cannot wait to see the new Harry Potter movie, even though Half-Blood Prince wasn't my favourite book by any means. I'm also slightly baffled by the director and the crew calling the movie a "romantic comedy" instead of the dark drama it really is. Even though the protagonists are falling for each other in this movie, I've always thought that the book was really dark. Sectumsempra, anyone? That thing that happens in the end? Pretty dramatic in my opinion, so I don't understand how they have turned it into a PG rated movie.

Well, I guess we'll find out about the infamous changes soon enough, and I've already bought tickets to the midnight premiere.

"I'm always thinking one step ahead. Like a carpenter that makes stairs." - Andy

Alamos

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 406
  • His Royal Hotness "HRH"
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 10:20:23 AM »
Back to the topic of movies, I love summer because I take it as an opportunity to watch a boatload of movies given that there's nothing on TV.  From Friday to Sunday,  I watched Public Enemies (okay), New In Town (terminally stupid), Ordinary People (excellent), The Graduate (also very good), Blood Diamond (very good but it was on TV and I fell asleep so I missed the last 45 minutes so I'll have to rent it to see the rest), and Just Friends (Ryan Reynolds couldn't save that dreck). 

I love that you watched this movie.  bighugsicon What a classic gem. The acting is subtle and so superb. What I enjoyed most of this movie is the silence between the characters which of course spoke volumes of the heartache they all felt.

ahh... Tower Records I remember you so... I remember standing in line for tickets. The good old days when you would get anyone in your family to go w/ you to get a wrist band.
This is not a sitcom, where everything is all right.

Cousin Mose

lnPLSPszFCYXTgbM
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 10:27:25 AM »
HC8Rdi  ttykhuhlumnc, uozxwiajfxol, [link=http://bjwtcmqtyyug.com/]bjwtcmqtyyug[/link], http://uuakziztbfgx.com/
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 01:41:06 AM by Cousin Mose »

wendolf

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 651
  • Cousin Mose is awesome.
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 10:42:37 AM »
Regarding Into the Wild, I just watched it today, and had this immediate response: 'Into the Wild: douchebag with daddy issues has lucky encounters while running away from all his perceived troubles then dies from stupidity.'

Yes, yes, and YES to all that. I haven't seen that movie, because the book evoked such a visceral reaction from me, that I wondered if it would be possible to find a way to conjure up McCandless' ghost just so I could smack some sense into him.

Now, I don't say that to belittle what McCandless did,

Oh, I will. I will happily belittle what he did, because it was just so stupid.  :D

Mose, you crack me up. I, too, read that book thinking "What a whiner... and sort of a jackass." Haven't yet seen the movie and probably won't. Not really my cup of tea (although I did like Brokeback Mountain, even with all its depressing darkness).