•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
Yeah, I have a lot of questions.  Number one, "How dare you?"

Author Topic: Movies #3: I've Seen Over 240 of Them  (Read 19208 times)

funkybutt

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 390
    • Martin Donovan site
Re: Movies #3: I've Seen Over 240 of Them
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2009, 03:30:44 PM »
As long as he's shirtless, I don't mind his acting at all.  ;D
Damon Lindelof says there's no need for an island in a Lost-themed ride at Disney World: "Just put people in a black room, spin them around and punch them in the face and tell them 'You just had the Lost experience.'"

halfbaked

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3838
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »
I don't know much about the whole Green Lantern story, but I've got to say, I am totally unimpressed with Ryan Reynolds - always have been.  Boo.  YMMV, of course. 

I hear ya, girl7. He's the reason I won't see The Proposal in the theater. It can wait till it hits cable.

wendolf

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 651
  • Cousin Mose is awesome.
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2009, 04:49:25 PM »
I am totally unimpressed with Ryan Reynolds

I'm impressed by his ... pectorals.  ::) What can I say, I'm a shallow, shallow woman.  ;D Seriously, though, I do like him. Don't care for his taste in women, but I like him well enough. I heard he was up for the role against J.T. and Bradley Cooper (I'd know this for sure if I read the article you linked). Of the three of them, not sure who I think would be best. J.T. has kind of grown on me with his SNL performances.

ETA: Ah, girl7 ... I see there are some who would have rather seen your boy get the role:

"Why didn't they give the role to Nathan Fillion, who'd have crushed it?"

I agree -- NF would have been great.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 04:55:54 PM by wendolf »

norsk_heksen

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 164
  • SHOVE IT!
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2009, 05:02:51 PM »
Sorry to interrupt, but I'm bursting with excitement--

Half Blood Prince, T-minus 7 hours and 5 minutes... ;D
Now I see a family where there once was none. Now we've just begun. Yeah, we're gonna fly to the sun. -Kenny Loggins

~心心相印~~印相心心~

girl7

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 1057
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2009, 05:09:38 PM »
I heard he was up for the role against J.T. and Bradley Cooper (I'd know this for sure if I read the article you linked). Of the three of them, not sure who I think would be best. J.T. has kind of grown on me with his SNL performances.

ETA: Ah, girl7 ... I see there are some who would have rather seen your boy get the role:

"Why didn't they give the role to Nathan Fillion, who'd have crushed it?"

wendolf: Well I can say I'd rather see it go to RR than to Bradley Cooper, who just skeeves me out beyond belief (though I did enjoy The Hangover - in spite of him).  I cannot imagine JT in that role, but yeah, he has grown on me as well via SNL (though for the life of me I can't see anything sexy about him at all; I just do not get it).

NF had been one of the favorites for it for a long, long time; in fact, for months and months, the rumor was that it was between NF and David Boreanaz (now there's a choice I could get behind -- love DB).  I really thought NF had it in the bag (which is one of the reasons I know anything about the film in the first place  ;D).  

And truly, it's not just sour grapes because NF didn't get it; I'm sure there are plenty of actors who would've been great in the role, but...Ryan Reynolds?  Meh.  Also (and I may be totally off here) I think they may lose a portion -- maybe -- of their male audience.  My husband's not a fan of RR at all, but he loves NF (as do legions of Firefly geeks - of which I count myself as one).

...Even as I type this, I'm bearing in mind you guys saying that you find RR hot, so maybe that choice will attract as many female viewers as the males it repels.   ::)  (I have to add, though, that NF looks quite nice with no shirt as well.  Just sayin'.  >:D)

norsk: I just finished book seven last week, so I'm doubly excited for the film to come out - it'll be the first one I've seen since reading the books, and I can't wait! Are you going to one of the really early showings?  I'm old, so I'll wait until a matinee this weekend to see it.  :D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 05:11:29 PM by girl7 »

Bubbles

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 245
  • A little...surprised?
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2009, 05:19:03 PM »

I am right there with you norsk!  It is a wonderful birthday present for me!  ;)
It is such a secret place, the land of tears.

norsk_heksen

• Sales Associate
  • SHOVE IT!
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2009, 06:13:37 PM »
Ooh, happy birthday indeed, Bubblespartyhaticon

I'm going to a midnight showing (and I'm all decked out in my Ravenclaw gear! /dork), and I'm going to a free screening of 500 Days of Summer before that... I don't follow movies much, but I imdb'd it and said "sure I'll go" because it has Zooey Deschanel and I love her. It pays to have friends who work at Blockbuster. ;D
Now I see a family where there once was none. Now we've just begun. Yeah, we're gonna fly to the sun. -Kenny Loggins

~心心相印~~印相心心~

kreidy

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 487
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2009, 06:22:04 PM »

I'm so jealous, norsk_heksen! I think I live in one of the few countries on the planet where the movie doesn't open until Friday, so I'm going to the midnight premiere on Thursday night. Yeah, it's only two days from now, but still! I want to see the movie now.  :-\

Please let us know if the movie is as good as the book once you've seen it. :)

"I'm always thinking one step ahead. Like a carpenter that makes stairs." - Andy

sora

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 2281
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2009, 07:29:48 PM »
I'm going to a midnight showing (and I'm all decked out in my Ravenclaw gear! /dork), and I'm going to a free screening of 500 Days of Summer before that... I don't follow movies much, but I imdb'd it and said "sure I'll go" because it has Zooey Deschanel and I love her. It pays to have friends who work at Blockbuster. ;D

I posted my review of (500) Days of Summer a while ago. I would love to hear what you think of it. :)

norsk_heksen

• Sales Associate
  • SHOVE IT!
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2009, 05:28:22 AM »
Okay -- it's 5:25 am and I should be sleeping, but I figured I'd drop in to share my thoughts about HBP in case anyone is going tomorrow -- er, later today -- and wants to see what the deal is.

It was pretty disappointing. :( Definitely the worst HP movie so far. It wasn't that bad, but I have high expectations of course. They did a pretty good job with the comedy, and the romance, but the action? Ehh, not so much. The worst thing was the ending -- oh god, it was pretty terrible, honestly. My friend who hasn't read the books thought it was bad too. I'll put a description of the ending behind a spoiler bar.

(click to show/hide)

As for (500) Days of Summer... I really liked it! I'll have to go back and read your review, sora, but right now I need to sleep. :P For now I'll say, I liked both of the characters and I liked the story -- I think it's pretty original, and I wasn't sure I liked how it was tied up when I watched it, but I like it better the more I think about it.

Aaaaand, I'm off to bed! ;)

~心心相印~~印相心心~

S.K

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2009, 05:45:56 AM »

Yikes, the spoilered part does sound pretty terrible. I haven't seen a HP movie since The Prisoner of Azkaban (I haven't been avoiding them, just never got around to it) and those changes make me think I won't see this one either. At least not if I have to pay for it.

kreidy

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 487
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2009, 06:41:54 AM »
It was pretty disappointing. :( Definitely the worst HP movie so far. It wasn't that bad, but I have high expectations of course. They did a pretty good job with the comedy, and the romance, but the action? Ehh, not so much. The worst thing was the ending -- oh god, it was pretty terrible, honestly. My friend who hasn't read the books thought it was bad too. I'll put a description of the ending behind a spoiler bar.

There have been spoilers about those changes, so I knew about them, but I still do not understand why they would change it from what happened in the book.

(click to show/hide)

"I'm always thinking one step ahead. Like a carpenter that makes stairs." - Andy

McGigi

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 182
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2009, 09:40:09 AM »
norsk_heksen, I'm right there with you. I was baffled at all the things you listed, plus more.
(click to show/hide)

I can't wait to see what everyone else thinks!
And take extra care with strangers, even flowers have their dangers, and though scary is exciting, nice is different than good.

Bubbles

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 245
  • A little...surprised?
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2009, 11:34:21 AM »

There have been spoilers about those changes, so I knew about them, but I still do not understand why they would change it from what happened in the book.

(click to show/hide)

I have a response to what you said under the spoiler bar, Kreidy

(click to show/hide)

All in all, looking at it from a purely film perspective, I liked it.  It's by and large one of the better things I've seen this summer (You're talking to a girl who, by an unusual set of circumstances, has seen Transformers 2...twice ::))  But, it was probably one of the weaker book to film adaptions.  I don't normally get disappointed with what they leave out just because I know how hard it is to adapt a book like that.  They aren't the easiest books to make into a script.  Of course, I'll always have a few complaints about things they added/left out/interpreted the book (see in the spoiler bar) but I'm ok with it.  Maybe I get over things too easily... :D  The 4th movie is still my favorite but this might take 2nd or 3rd place behind it.  I definitely liked it better than Order of the Phoenix.

The 6th film felt about how the 6th book to felt to me: nothing too much by way of action because it's there to set up for the 7th book/film.  I do agree that the ending could have been a little stronger.  But from the ending, I did get the "Ok.  The big finale is coming kids.  Buckle up for the ride" feeling.  And that is what the penultimate film needed to convey.

I know it's controversial but I am really glad they are splitting the 7th book into two movies.  They will be able to stick a lot closer to the book and cut out so much less than if it were one film.  Yeah, it's great for the studio coffers too but I think I will be a happier fan because of the more time allowed.  

Off Topic:
1) In the previews, Steve Carell is voicing the main character in another animated movie, Despicable Me.  I think it looked dumb but it didn't really explain the plot of the movie.  So I can't judge too much, I suppose.

2) Disney is making a new 2D movie: The Princess and The Frog.  Sign me up for that!  I love Disney's 2D animation (and am sick of some of the crappy 3D stuff produced) and this movie looks like they are trying to return to the days of The Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, ect.  From the trailer, the animation looked really pretty and I always love me some Disney princesses. ;)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 02:45:29 PM by Bubbles »
It is such a secret place, the land of tears.

norsk_heksen

• Sales Associate
  • SHOVE IT!
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2009, 03:03:17 PM »
About (500) Days of Summer), I went back and read sora's review, and basically I agree! My favorite part was the dance routine in the middle! ;D I wasn't too distracted by the uhh... what did you call them? The screens with the numbers. Sorry, I know almost nothing about film, lol. Anyway, what I really agree with most is this:

Quote from: sora
I have to say, I thought they were going to go play a certain plot card and up until the end of the scene, I swore they did, but they didn't and I have to say, I'm actually impressed that they didn't take that way out of it because I felt it would have cheapen the closure.

Yes yes yes! I thought surely... but I'm glad it ended the way it did. My friends thought Zooey's character was a bitch, but I didn't at all. It was about two characters coming from different places, and their relationship is very important because it helps each of them grow, change and learn. Also maybe I have a bit of a girl-crush (you know, the female version of man-crush) on Zooey. ::)

And replying to kreidy, McGigi and Bubbles' spoilers (sorry, this is quite long)...

(click to show/hide)

I love that they are splitting Deathly Hallows into two movies. I just hope they take advantage of that and do it justice. It feels like they have so much explaining to do, so I hope they do it well. :-\

~心心相印~~印相心心~