•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
I wanted to say I'm sorry for treating you bad for the last couple of years.  I was in my mid-twenties.  I was going through a lot of stuff.  I think I never really processed 9/11.

Author Topic: Movies #3: I've Seen Over 240 of Them  (Read 22808 times)

sweetpea

• Assistant (to the) Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 950
  • by Lisahoo
Re: Movies #3: I've Seen Over 240 of Them
« Reply #750 on: June 03, 2013, 05:04:53 PM »
Two most recent movies I've seen at the theater:

The Sapphires, starring Chris O'Dowd.  Wonderful Vietnam-era film about a washed-up musician/manager (O'Dowd) and his discovery of a group of aboriginal girl-singers.  A small movie with big heart and great music, I loved it.

The Place Beyond the Pines, starring my movie bellwether (Gangster Squad notwithstanding), Ryan Gosling, Eva Mendes, and Bradley Cooper.  I saw this one the day after it opened - I was really looking forward to see what Derek Cianfrance and Gosling might do together again after Blue Valentine.  This is big, ambitious storytelling with characters pushed to the edge of what they can withstand emotionally.  I thought about it for a long time afterward and it's saved on my Netflix queue for whenever the DVD is released.

From Netflix:

The Impossible, starring Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor.  I recently read  Wave by Sonali Deraniyagala - her heartbreaking memoir of how she lost her parents, husband and two small boys in the Sri Lankan tsunami.  I was so happy to watch a movie about a family that survived! So emotional - I can't remember the last time a movie made me cry this much.  Watts is so good and the three kids who play her boys are exceptional.  Of course, Ewan is delicious, even after being in a tsunami.

OfficeLady

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 389
« Reply #751 on: June 23, 2013, 12:00:17 AM »
I saw 'Man of Steel' today. Is there anyone else out there who thinks that Henry Cavill is the most good-looking man alive? Impossibly handsome, as described by EW. I agree, (lady of a certain age fans self  laughingicon )

OfficeLady

• Regional Manager
« Reply #752 on: July 01, 2013, 02:17:00 PM »
EL James just tweeted that rumors that the cast of "50 Shades....." will be revealed at Comic-Con are untrue. Yes -- I enjoyed the trilogy -- the erotic scenes not so much --- yes -- I loved the over-all love story-- the unlikely pairing of Anastasia and Christian and how they made it work. And I'm really curious as to how in the world they can possibly turn  these stories into a movie.

iwantphillyjim

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 58
  • Made of cute!
« Reply #753 on: July 01, 2013, 07:54:11 PM »
I saw 'Man of Steel' today. Is there anyone else out there who thinks that Henry Cavill is the most good-looking man alive? Impossibly handsome, as described by EW. I agree, (lady of a certain age fans self  laughingicon )

I am with you there OfficeLady, good lord
Should I have a safe word?

OfficeLady

• Regional Manager
« Reply #754 on: July 02, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »
It is rumored that EL James had Henry Cavill in mind when she described "Christian."  He probably won't have the time to star in her movie, but I think his looks and acting skills would make for a great "50 Shades...." movie.....(fanning self double-time...... laughingicon)

Callisto

• Human Resources
  • Schrute Bucks: 1214
« Reply #755 on: July 02, 2013, 09:07:47 PM »
I agree Henry Cavill is gorgeous, but he's almost too gorgeous... he's what my roommate would call "carved out of cream cheese."

There were a couple scenes in that film where I thought he looked exactly like Christopher Reeve.
Love is a cunning weaver of fables and fantasies. - Sappho

jinx

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 129
  • Hi Hey
« Reply #756 on: July 02, 2013, 10:25:44 PM »
I remember thinking "Oh My is that man lovely" when I first saw him in the Henry VIII mini series.  If you haven't seen it and want more Henry Cavill I recommend you watch it.  Worth your time even without HC.
And when it happens, it's going to kick your ass, Beesly. So... stay sharp.

OfficeLady

• Regional Manager
« Reply #757 on: July 06, 2013, 01:44:32 PM »
Henry Cavill's "outing" with Kaley Cuoco reminds me of JK's "outing" with EB -- that famous photo when they were at the market pondering some food in the refrigerated section of the store. That caused a sensation and so, I guess, do photos of beautiful Henry and his new girlfriend.   laughingicon

rahenson1

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 69
« Reply #758 on: July 13, 2013, 11:37:36 PM »
Woke up at like 3 this morning with stomach cramps.  Decided to watch the John Cusack movie Identity on my DVR.  Thought it was really good.  Generally I like his movies and this was no exception.  It wasn't what I expected it to be from the trailers I had seen way back when it came out.
The boat was actually Plan C.  The church was Plan B.  And Plan A was marrying her a long, long time ago.  Pretty much the day I met her.

Callisto

• Human Resources
  • Schrute Bucks: 1214
« Reply #759 on: July 14, 2013, 10:10:27 AM »
Woke up at like 3 this morning with stomach cramps.  Decided to watch the John Cusack movie Identity on my DVR.  Thought it was really good.  Generally I like his movies and this was no exception.  It wasn't what I expected it to be from the trailers I had seen way back when it came out.

You too? I woke up at 3 am with a horrible stomach ache. (Unfortunately I know exactly what caused it - excess of various unhealthy things at my friends' last night.)

I really like that movie, it's quite gripping and interesting.  I'm a fan of John Cusack in general and choose to believe that it was someone else making a mockery of himself in "2012."

Love is a cunning weaver of fables and fantasies. - Sappho

NanReg

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3249
« Reply #760 on: July 15, 2013, 08:41:56 AM »
I've always had a soft spot for John Cusack  <3

Just posted in the Steve thread and thought I would bring it here, too.  MrReg and I saw The Way Way Back yesterday, Steve's new movie, and both of us really enjoyed it.  It's a perfect summer movie with a great cast. 

funkybutt

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 390
    • Martin Donovan site
« Reply #761 on: July 15, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »
Has anyone seen Joss Whedon's new movie, Much Ado About Nothing? I know about about to have garbage thrown at me, but I wasn't a fan. I thought the acting was great, and I loved seeing all of Joss' favorites (Amy Acker, Alexis Denisof, Nathan Fillion, etc), but I am just not a fan of the Bard. I spent most of the time just trying to figure out what they were saying, and it was super frustrating. I got the general idea of what was going on, but when someone went into a 2 minute dialog, I was lost. I really just don't want to have to work that hard to be entertained.
Damon Lindelof says there's no need for an island in a Lost-themed ride at Disney World: "Just put people in a black room, spin them around and punch them in the face and tell them 'You just had the Lost experience.'"

S.K

• Assistant (to the) Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 367
« Reply #762 on: July 16, 2013, 01:18:43 AM »
funkybutt, I've been trying to decide whether or not that's something I eventually want to see. I'm kind of the opposite from you: Whedon has never meant much for me, but I am a mild to moderate Shakespeare fan. It's just that, IMHO, a nearly perfect film adaptation of Much Ado About Nothing already exists... Not to say that Whedon shouldn't have made his, just that it might not actually interest me that much.

PS. This is one of the times when it pays not to be a native English speaker. It's easy to follow even Shakespearean dialogue when you have subtitles.  :D But when the husband and I went to see Shakespeare in the park in Boston some years ago, we were both more or less completely lost.

rahenson1

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 69
« Reply #763 on: August 11, 2013, 09:46:50 AM »
I knocked quite a few out before our trip this week.  Did not care for Sabrina especially after Hepburn went to the super short hair cut.  Seemed very weird she was romantically involved with a 50+ man in Bogart.  Enjoyed Aliens about as much as Alien which is rare for a sequel.  Also saw Das Boot.  Solid but not legendary.  On two discs and for some reason the second one started dubbed in English when the first one started subtitled in English but spoken in German.
The boat was actually Plan C.  The church was Plan B.  And Plan A was marrying her a long, long time ago.  Pretty much the day I met her.

OfficeLady

• Regional Manager
« Reply #764 on: August 13, 2013, 01:52:07 PM »
It's time for me to do my annual re-watch of 'The Long Hot Summer' with Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward and an outstanding supporting cast led by Orson Welles.  Watching Clara Varner try to resist Ben Quick is amazingly romantic and compelling as only a movie made in the late 50's can be.

In those days the romance of the relationship was the story told -- not the visuals of hopping into bed. It was a different time that's for sure -- and I love this movie.  bighugsicon

It was the romance of the relationshp between Jim and Pam that drew me in -- the consumation of their love took a while -- just like Clara and Ben.  Will they or won't they?  laughingicon