•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
I don’t really play cards, but I’m not going to lie to you, it felt really good to take money from Michael. I'm gonna chase that feeling.

Author Topic: Movies #3: I've Seen Over 240 of Them  (Read 20004 times)

OfficeLady

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 389
Re: Movies #3: I've Seen Over 240 of Them
« Reply #765 on: September 02, 2013, 12:18:56 PM »
I'm probably the only fan on here of '50 shades..' but EL James just announced that Dakota Johnson will play Anastasia. she's the daughter of Don Johnson (Miami Vice) and Melanie Griffith. She seems to have some good acting credits....I hope Dakota has good acting skills..........Anastasia challenges Christian in many ways.   :)

halfbaked

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3838
« Reply #766 on: September 02, 2013, 12:40:37 PM »

She seems to have some good acting credits.

Yeah, like The Office;)

OfficeLady

• Regional Manager
« Reply #767 on: September 02, 2013, 12:50:20 PM »
Sorry for the double-post:  Charlie Hunnam is Christian, announced by EL James. I was hoping it would be Henry Cavill but he's got too much other work, it seems ....Man From Uncle.....next Superman...........I sure hope Charlie is a great actor. He's a Brit and most of them are pretty good. I think that it would be easy for Christian-on-the-screen to be a joke because he's so specific and  moody, and I really want the movie to show a great romance....not just the publicized erotica. For me that was just a distraction...... laughingicon

OfficeLady

• Regional Manager
« Reply #768 on: September 02, 2013, 12:58:50 PM »

She seems to have some good acting credits.

Yeah, like The Office;)

Yay! Dakota played Kevin's replacment in the Finale?  An Office connection!  laughingicon

funkybutt

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 390
    • Martin Donovan site
« Reply #769 on: September 02, 2013, 01:20:39 PM »
Hmmmm .... I'm not impressed by the casting of Charlie. I haven't seen anything he's been in, but the google images page didn't make it seem like he's the right fit. Dakota looks too old (or experienced) for Anastasia.
Damon Lindelof says there's no need for an island in a Lost-themed ride at Disney World: "Just put people in a black room, spin them around and punch them in the face and tell them 'You just had the Lost experience.'"

OfficeLady

• Regional Manager
« Reply #770 on: September 02, 2013, 01:33:54 PM »
Here;s a link to Charlie Hannum on conan: laughingicon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oj81KK_NF4

He's tall......kinda cute..........really good smile.......tells a good story.......I think he has possibilities   laughingicon

rahenson1

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 69
« Reply #771 on: September 03, 2013, 12:12:56 PM »
Now more than halfway through the IMDB top 250.  And I have almost finished the top 100.  The films currently in my watchlist start in the 80s.  Of the recent films I've seen Witness for the Prosecution was my favorite.  Many surprises at the end.  The rest were ok but not worthy of the top 250 IMHO.  Chinatown, Braveheart, Metropolis and several Japanese animated films among them.  In that group the best one I thought was Grave of the Fireflies.  The other ones (Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away) were a little too crazy for me.  I also liked the Korean film Oldboy.  Four more coming this week as I get close to the final 100.
The boat was actually Plan C.  The church was Plan B.  And Plan A was marrying her a long, long time ago.  Pretty much the day I met her.

halfbaked

• Regional Manager
« Reply #772 on: September 19, 2013, 06:29:08 PM »

I saw The Way Way Back this afternoon. It might be the best movie I've seen this year. Jim Rash's (Dean Pelton from Community) script is funny and poignant. Liam James as the teenage lead is a wonder. The adult leads—Steve Carell, Toni Colette and Sam Rockwell—are terrific. Maya Rudolph and Alison Janney play characters very similar to their roles in Away We Go.

Steve plays against type. His character's a real SOB but I have to admit I was reminded of Michael at times.  :-\  I was totally taken out of the movie during one scene. (My fault, not the fault of the movie.) Steve's character is repeatedly calling out after Toni Colette's character whose name is Pam. It sounded just like Michael sitting in his office calling to Pam out at the reception desk.  :D

Definite thumb's up!

khand3stooges

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 587
« Reply #773 on: September 20, 2013, 09:29:33 AM »
My sister thought it was fantastic too. We NEVER get any quirky movies around us, so I will definitely catch it on netfix. It's funny but SOB was what she described Steve character to me also. :)

OfficeLady

• Regional Manager
« Reply #774 on: September 22, 2013, 07:44:19 PM »
If you watch movies on your IPad or laptop, I might recommend a sweet movie called "Ruby Sparks" with Paul Dano and Zoe Kazan. It's just perfect for the small screen -- I saw it on the plane to Chicago and enjoyed it so much.   Paul Dano plays a writer whose character comes to life....... :)    bighugsicon

OfficeLady

• Regional Manager
« Reply #775 on: July 10, 2014, 01:21:48 PM »
It was just announced that the trailer for #FSOG will be out on July 24 - 25th. Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson will be interviewed on The Today Show and probably other shows. The publicity is beginning for the Feb. 2015 premiere.  Whether one liked the story or not, it should generate huge interest.

They are also looking for a screenwriter for FS Darker, so it looks like there'll be a second movie. Yes....I'm a fan.....love the romantic story of Christian and Anastasia.....not great literature......but good enough to capture my attention.  ;)

And maybe the fact that the story takes place in my town makes it more believable......beautiful Seattle. (I looked at condos at Escala when I was thinking I would live in the city. Didn't know it would become a world-wide fascination.  laughingicon)

OfficeLady

• Regional Manager
« Reply #776 on: July 24, 2014, 03:46:19 PM »
#FSOGTrailer....... thudicon  Jamie Dornan.....so easy on the eyes. coolicon

halfbaked

• Regional Manager
« Reply #777 on: July 24, 2014, 09:27:57 PM »

I haven't read the books—still debating whether or not to see the movie when it comes out or just wait for cable.  :-\

I saw Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson on Today this morning. In my view there was NO chemistry between them at all. In the trailer—different story.  ;)

LINK to trailer

OfficeLady

• Regional Manager
« Reply #778 on: July 27, 2014, 05:43:24 PM »
I thought that Jamie and Dakota seemed a little uncomfortable in the interview on Thursday. They really hadn't seen each other for many months so maybe that explained the lack of chemistry. Friday's interview was better, because it was filmed while they were making the movie.

I am hoping that they have what it takes together, because chemistry is what Christian and Ana are all about. For me, it is a wonderful love story. The media likes to make it into a BDSM-fest, but that's not what it's all about. You can read the books and skip those parts which show us how "messed-up" Christian is and enjoy the parts that show us how his love for Ana and her love for him enable Christian to let go of his "dominant" ways and become a loving partner for Ana.

Of course, the media likes to sensationalize everything. Most of the comments I read by critics indicate clearly that they haven't read the books. They just want to get erotic attention. Romance doesn't seem to cut it anymore, and Christian and Ana are definitely a romantic couple......almost in the same category as Jim and Pam. It's just that what we (individually and privately) may have fantasized about Jim and Pam's relationship is put into words in the FSOG trilogy.

Granted, Christian is a handful, and  Jim seemed pretty stable. But if you connect the dots, they both may have arrived at the same places,Christian with Ana and Jim with Pam,  if you know what I mean. <3  laughingicon Please don't throw  garbage.  laughingicon

rahenson1

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 69
« Reply #779 on: December 21, 2014, 09:05:35 AM »
Mrs RAH and I went to see Interstellar yesterday.  I can't speak for the science but it is a great story.  I would assume lots or even most of the science is just the theories of experts in the field as we don't know a great deal about really long space travel like the movie deals with (trying to avoid anything beyond the very basic framework of the movie that would be a spoiler).  McConaghey is under control.  I'm not a fan or a hater of his.  If you really hate him there are a few little lines or looks scattered in the movie that will irritate you but it's not non-stop by any stretch.  Christopher Nolan being in charge of the movie gave me great confidence and it was rewarded.  It is probably the most emotional space movie I've seen (granted it's not a genre I have seen a ton of films in).

This week (was going to say next week, but it's already Sunday) we're heading back for Imitation Game with Benedict Cumberbatch.  Since I won't get any Sherlock for quite a while this will have to do.

*edited movie name - put Imagination Game by mistake
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 12:34:54 PM by rahenson1 »
The boat was actually Plan C.  The church was Plan B.  And Plan A was marrying her a long, long time ago.  Pretty much the day I met her.