•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
You're a presentation tool if you think I'll tell Jan about this.

Author Topic: Movies #3: I've Seen Over 240 of Them  (Read 18875 times)

funkybutt

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 390
    • Martin Donovan site
Re: Movies #3: I've Seen Over 240 of Them
« Reply #780 on: January 30, 2015, 10:03:15 AM »
I recently binge-watched season 2 of The Fall with Jamie Dornan and Gillian Anderson and I gotta say that I'm not particularly impressed with Jamie as a hottie. I thought he was good in The Fall, but I just don't see him being Christian Grey. Additionally, Jamie and Dakota look like they have zero chemistry any time I see them together (whether at award shows or clips from the movie). There's no way I'd see that movie in the theater so I'll wait to see what others say about his performance and watch it on Netflix.
Damon Lindelof says there's no need for an island in a Lost-themed ride at Disney World: "Just put people in a black room, spin them around and punch them in the face and tell them 'You just had the Lost experience.'"

rahenson1

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 69
« Reply #781 on: January 30, 2015, 09:21:06 PM »
We did indeed see Imitation Game.  It is also very good.  Cumberbatch delivers his standard brilliant work.  If somehow you don't like him then you probably won't like it.

We also saw Selma a few weeks ago.  It was good.  If I had to rank the three (Interstellar being the third) I'd say Interstellar, Imiatation Game then Selma but I would say that Oyelowo (he plays MLK) gave the best peformance of any actor in the three.  How he wasn't nominated for an Oscar I can't understand.  Takes serious confidence to try on such an iconic historical figure.  I'd argue even harder than Daniel Day Lewis playing Lincoln because we don't have tons of audio and video to compare him to like we do with MLK.

I want to see Boyhood but I think I may have waited too late.  It's not showing anywhere near me.
The boat was actually Plan C.  The church was Plan B.  And Plan A was marrying her a long, long time ago.  Pretty much the day I met her.

OfficeLady

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 389
« Reply #782 on: January 30, 2015, 10:30:14 PM »
I recently binge-watched season 2 of The Fall with Jamie Dornan and Gillian Anderson and I gotta say that I'm not particularly impressed with Jamie as a hottie. I thought he was good in The Fall, but I just don't see him being Christian Grey. Additionally, Jamie and Dakota look like they have zero chemistry any time I see them together (whether at award shows or clips from the movie). There's no way I'd see that movie in the theater so I'll wait to see what others say about his performance and watch it on Netflix.

I also binge-watched Season 2 of The Fall and it really creeped me out. However, I really find Jamie Dornan easy on the eyes, although Paul Spector is a far cry from Christian Grey. He does show some acting chops, which makes me think he will be a great Christian. I'm a little on the fence with Dakota Johnson as Anastasia. And I agree....when they've made personal appearances there's no chemistry. But I think in the trailers it's a different story. I am one of the few who are willing to admit I read the trilogy and loved it as a love story. I hope the film is good and look forward to seeing it. I will write a review when I do.  bighugsicon

funkybutt

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 390
    • Martin Donovan site
« Reply #783 on: January 31, 2015, 09:33:44 AM »
We did indeed see Imitation Game.  It is also very good.  Cumberbatch delivers his standard brilliant work.  If somehow you don't like him then you probably won't like it.

We saw Imitation Game, too. I really liked the movie but then I was soured on the whole thing when I read the true story when I got home. Hollywood took great liberty with the movie and changed some serious facts (he wasn't really autistic like the movie had you believe, there was a team of 100 people working on the project, etc).

I wanted to see The Theory of Everything until I realized that Steven left his wife for his nurse in real life. The trailer makes the movie seem like it's this grand sweeping love story, so him leaving his wife (which isn't in the movie) feels false some how.

I was at a Mom's Night Out last night and they were talking about going to see SOG. I would see it in the theaters in that setting, but definitely not with my husband, by myself, or with my mom!
Damon Lindelof says there's no need for an island in a Lost-themed ride at Disney World: "Just put people in a black room, spin them around and punch them in the face and tell them 'You just had the Lost experience.'"

OfficeLady

• Regional Manager
« Reply #784 on: January 31, 2015, 02:42:21 PM »

I was at a Mom's Night Out last night and they were talking about going to see SOG. I would see it in the theaters in that setting, but definitely not with my husband, by myself, or with my mom!

I know what you mean.....I plan to go with an old friend.....the only one who also admits to reading the books and enjoying the love story. 

OfficeLady

• Regional Manager
« Reply #785 on: February 14, 2015, 05:12:04 PM »
OK! Who's seen it? Give a review! "You know it's going to be good...."  lol  coolicon :o ::) laughingicon

OfficeLady

• Regional Manager
« Reply #786 on: February 23, 2015, 09:12:38 PM »
OK! Who's seen it? Give a review! "You know it's going to be good...."  lol  coolicon :o ::) laughingicon

OK -- I saw it! I loved it! Cheers to Jamie and Dakota and the screenplay and the other cast members.  Table for one...... bighugsicon

wendolf

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 651
  • Cousin Mose is awesome.
« Reply #787 on: March 02, 2015, 01:48:19 PM »
I saw it for a Girls' Night Out -- there were 40 of us and we had the whole theater to ourselves. It was hilarious. I'd say the crowd was a mix of people who read the books and liked them, read the books and DIDN'T like them, or hadn't read them at all. The general consensus was that the movie was not good, though we did like Dakota Johnson more than we expected to. Jamie whats-his-name didn't really do it for me -- at one point I thought he looked a lot like a young David Hasselhoff and, well, there you go. And his lips were chapped. The guy's supposed to be a control freak millionaire ... I think he'd have some Chapstick. Anyway, I didn't love the movie, but I definitely enjoyed watching it with a group of fun (and loud and obnoxious) women. We're talking about going to see Magic Mike 2 the same way -- as far as I'm concerned, it's the only way to see movies like this!