•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
I feel angry.  Angry at you.  Angry at you for doing something stupid.  Angry at me for believing you could do something not stupid.

Author Topic: Pets: I don't want Garbage, I want Sprinkles!  (Read 2924 times)

Italian_Food

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 235
  • Oh, Good Lord...
Re: Pets: I don't want Garbage, I want Sprinkles!
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2012, 11:52:18 PM »
I love my dog (5 year old Yorkie), I really do.  We consider him a member of our family.  He gets some turkey on Thanksgiving, has a Christmas stocking I fill with goodies, and an Easter basket.  We celebrate his birthday each year by grilling him a hamburger.  But, we also realize he's still a pet, an animal.  We have no problem leaving him home for a few hours if we're out for a while.

That being said, I'm surrounded by seemingly crazy pet people.  When I told my sister she couldn't bring her 70 lb shedding hair ball Bermese Mountain dog to my already crowded house on Thanksgiving she refused to come!  Then my friend posts pictures from the Holiday photo shoot she had professionally shot of her rescued mixed breed.

Am I crazy for not doing these things?
-"Beesley, are you threatening me?"
-"Jim! Jim, Jim, Jim. I'm not threatening you. I love you. But you should know, you're on very dangerous ground."

Callisto

• Human Resources
  • Schrute Bucks: 1214
« Reply #106 on: December 05, 2012, 08:28:40 AM »
No, you are not. I have the same issue every Christmas and Thanksgiving with my brothers. One owns a border collie, the other a rottweiler.  My sister in law has two little lap dogs and when she said they couldn't bring their dogs to Thanksgiving, my oldest brother decided to stay home with the dogs (the brothers live together).  Everywhere they go, the dogs must go. It drives me crazy, but mostly because they have no respect for the homes they visit. I have three cats, so NO, you can't let your gigantic freaking dog run around my house terrorizing my cats! THEY live here! YOUR DOG is the guest! That's why I have a back yard. And yet, it became a big thing because that damned border collie goes insane if he's left alone when there are people around.

Their dogs are sweet animals but it's something that makes me love having cats - I can leave them unattended for a while.  Hell, they're fine for days as long as someone comes by to give them food and water and scrape out the litter box. ;)
Love is a cunning weaver of fables and fantasies. - Sappho

khand3stooges

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 587
« Reply #107 on: December 05, 2012, 09:17:50 AM »
No, you are not crazy. I love dogs (and cats), but am able to seperate the fact there are limits with them. Some people just forget that. I don't care what people do with their own pets, but they need to understand not everyone feels the same way about their animal. It's kinda like no one loves your kids like you do. ;) IF, don't feel bad for your stance, you are not alone.

Italian_Food

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 235
  • Oh, Good Lord...
« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2012, 09:14:18 AM »
Callisto, it sounds like your brothers and my sister would get along great.  I thought she would become a little less neurotic about the dog when she became a mom, but nope, my neice is 17 months old and my sister still acts like she gave birth to the dog as well.  Last Easter she just showed up with the dog without asking, like it's expected that her dog will be a part of the holiday celebration.  The kicker with my sister is that my youngest son, her nephew, is allergic to shedding dogs and she still thinks the dog should be allowed to come into my home, leaving his hair everywhere and reaking havoc on my son's allergies for days.
-"Beesley, are you threatening me?"
-"Jim! Jim, Jim, Jim. I'm not threatening you. I love you. But you should know, you're on very dangerous ground."

khand3stooges

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 587
« Reply #109 on: January 13, 2013, 02:47:01 PM »
Has anyone else been following the story of the pitbull "Buck"? He was brutally shot with a pellet gun, then put it a bag by the side of the road. He is the sweetest thing. I've been following it on Yahoo, but he also has a facebook site for updates and donations.