•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
Sometimes, I think she holds on to faxes.

Author Topic: Things We Hate: The Gripe Thread #6  (Read 17598 times)

Morning Angel

• CEO
  • Schrute Bucks: 1674
  • LJ icon made by Cornicopia
Things We Hate: The Gripe Thread #6
« on: February 05, 2010, 10:03:28 AM »
The old place to complain is closed so brand new spanking thread.  Me likey hatey. ;)
No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

WalkInLove

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 801
Re: Things We Hate: The Gripe Thread #6
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 10:11:08 AM »
It makes me a little sad that we have more Things to Hate than Things to Love.  But I'll add my hate anyway.  I hate that, even though I'm exhausted, I seem to be incapable of sleeping for a decent amount of time.  Maybe I should drink more wine before bed.  ;)

summerteeth

• Assistant (to the) Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 65535
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 10:16:59 AM »
I hate that, even though I'm exhausted, I seem to be incapable of sleeping for a decent amount of time.  Maybe I should drink more wine before bed.  ;)

Oh, I hear ya on that. No matter how tired I am,  no matter how early I go to bed, I still toss and turn for ages and then sleep in in the morning. Doesn't help that I hate work sufficiently at the moment that every morning I lie there for longer than I should wondering if I can get away with going in late or not at all.

sora

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 2281
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 02:47:30 PM »
I don't know where to put this but it makes me hate something...  ;)

So, apparently my freezer door didn't close properly at some point yesterday and I didn't wander in there this morning so when I entered my place, there was a horrific smell coming from the kitchen. Um... yeah, a long time ago, my mom put a newly caught fish in a plastic bag and filled it with water and stuck it in the freezer. It thawed out and now my kitchen smells ridiculously bad... like a mix of rotten fish and blood. Anyways, I've thrown it out and managed to clean out the freezer, but god, the smell!

Any remedies that I can try to get the smell out or at least reduce it?

Morning Angel

• CEO
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 02:54:09 PM »
Anything lemon-based tends to cut fishy smells.  So spray Lemon Pledge in your apartment? lol  More seriously, I would try to clean with something lemony, and maybe use those odour-neutralizing sprays or burn candles.

sora

• Regional Manager
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 03:00:24 PM »
Hmm... Candles and Febreze have made their rounds. I might have Pledge somewhere... there's currently a blizzard starting up outside so my choices are limited but damn, this smell is so bad. Ugh... I've also decided it smells more like blood than fish. Because it was a fresh fish in ice, the ice melted and mixed in with the blood of the fish. Gah... [insert gag smiley]

Morning Angel

• CEO
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 03:04:18 PM »
Ugh, that sucks, sora.  I'm not an crime scene expert so I don't know how to get rid of blood smells. ;) 

But yeah good tip for fish: if I rub lemons on my hands or on my cutting board, it's the best remedy to get rid of fish smells.

S.K

• Assistant (to the) Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 367
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 03:04:45 PM »
I don't know where to put this but it makes me hate something...  ;)

So, apparently my freezer door didn't close properly at some point yesterday and I didn't wander in there this morning so when I entered my place, there was a horrific smell coming from the kitchen. Um... yeah, a long time ago, my mom put a newly caught fish in a plastic bag and filled it with water and stuck it in the freezer. It thawed out and now my kitchen smells ridiculously bad... like a mix of rotten fish and blood. Anyways, I've thrown it out and managed to clean out the freezer, but god, the smell!

When the husband and I took a three week trip to US in 2008, the last thing I did before heading for the airport was to unplug all the electrical appliances. I don't even know why it's done, but my parents always did it before going away for a while, so I do too. But the point is, I unplugged everything. Including the freezer. Which then had all those three weeks to thaw. And contained shrimp. And my attempt at home made, very garlic-y hummus.  The smell was out of this world. I spent a whole day trying to get rid of it, burning incense and scented candles, and washing the stupid thing with all possible cleansing liquids I could think of. What worked the best was rubbing the walls of the freezer with lemon wedges, and putting a lot of mint tea bags in a big pan of boiling water. Opening all the windows helped too.  

ETA I hate myself for being so disorganized. I needed to quote a book today, and it would have been no problem, had the book been where it was supposed to be, on the shelve, near other books written by people who's last names begin with K. But big surprise, it isn't, and I can't find it. Stupid me.  >:(
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 03:07:52 PM by S.K »

Too Late Kev

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 1414
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 08:45:17 PM »
It makes me a little sad that we have more Things to Hate than Things to Love.  But I'll add my hate anyway.  I hate that, even though I'm exhausted, I seem to be incapable of sleeping for a decent amount of time.  Maybe I should drink more wine before bed.  ;)

It's because in the Things I Love thread, the responses are short, like, "Yay, WIL! THat's good news!" But in the Things We Hate thread you get not only sympathy but suggestions for solutions to problems. (/perhaps seeing a bright side which isn't actually there)

WalkInLove

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 801
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 09:01:09 PM »

It's because in the Things I Love thread, the responses are short, like, "Yay, WIL! THat's good news!" But in the Things We Hate thread you get not only sympathy but suggestions for solutions to problems. (/perhaps seeing a bright side which isn't actually there)

I'll go with that, TLK.  Totally makes sense and definitely puts a happier spin on things.  :)

EmilyHalpert

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 603
  • waiting on your supernova...
    • LJ
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 10:26:08 AM »
I hate that my palm has officially died, and now I'm facing a huge issue trying to get all the data off of it... or more into a usable format. Palm apparently hates Vista, so provides no support, and they've got it such a proprietary format that converting it into anything usable is a headache. I've been googling for a solution for nearly an hour now, and there's all these tips, but none seem to be working!

sora

• Regional Manager
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 04:18:29 PM »
I hate my kitchen.

So, my dishwasher hasn't been working since who knows when. And my sink has been clogged for some reason. Tried the plunger. There isn't anything blocking it. Well, the two evil things combined forces and decided to start a mini-flood in my kitchen. Worst off, it's backed-up water from the non-working dishwasher so it's grungy and semi-moldy.

I can't call anyone because of the blizzard and yeah... figuring this out myself...  :(

lisahoo

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3270
  • such a dork (I <3 you)
    • lisahoo.livejournal.com
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 07:20:17 PM »
Sora, your kitchen disasters of late could make for a screenplay for a black comedy.  Yikes.

Something I hate -- being sick in the middle of a snowstorm and not being able to get out to the freaking drugstore for some Tums.  I think I gave myself food poisoning yesterday with some chicken soup I made.  The husband had 3 bowls of it, but doesn't seem to be affected, which is good, because we'd have nobody to watch the girls.

He made beans & rice from scratch for the Super Bowl and the smell of it about made me gag.  So far today, I've been able to choke down half a PB sandwich and a handful of popcorn.

I'm crossing my fingers that the Fed Govt. being closed means he doesn't have to go in for very long tomorrow.

sora

• Regional Manager
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 08:13:58 PM »
I'm crossing my fingers that the Fed Govt. being closed means he doesn't have to go in for very long tomorrow.

Wait... since it is closed, he still has to go in? My temp job goes along with the federal government, too, so I have the full day off. Fun... I'll go stir-crazy again.  :-\

lisahoo

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3270
  • such a dork (I <3 you)
    • lisahoo.livejournal.com
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 08:22:35 PM »
It's like on Federal Holidays -- it's time to go & and catch up without that pesky customer around.

And truth be told, there are a lot of things that need to be done regardless of whether we have 2 feet of snow on the ground.  The only govt employees who really get to take the day off are the congressmen who took off on Thursday and now can't get back in time for votes that were supposed to happen tomorrow & Tuesday.  Too bad we can't all have cushy jobs like that.