•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
You're so much more creative than all the other dry, boring morons you work with.

Author Topic: Things We Hate: The Gripe Thread #6  (Read 17093 times)

Jamnicity

• Assistant (to the) Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 259
Re: Things We Hate: The Gripe Thread #6
« Reply #735 on: February 21, 2013, 12:32:46 PM »
Right now I'm hating the rash of break-ins that have been going on in my neighborhood (nine since the start of the year). We live in a pretty nice subdivision, where I have always felt safe, but this has gotten me so paranoid. I'm home with my youngest most of the day, so I'm really worried about someone trying to break in during the day, thinking that no one is home. I don't even like going upstairs, because I'm afraid I won't hear if anything is going on downstairs. Now, I've started arming the security system even while I'm home. Once it starts getting dark, I throw on lights inside and out, so it's plainly obvious that someone is home. I just hate living with this anxiety all the time. Hope the police catch this person soon! >:(
Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, "Would an idiot do that?" And if they would, I do not do that thing.

funkybutt

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 390
    • Martin Donovan site
« Reply #736 on: February 21, 2013, 04:25:03 PM »
Yuck - sorry you're dealing with that! I live in a pretty safe neighborhood, too, but there was a break-in 1 street over on Tuesday. What makes me even more nervous is that when I got home yesterday, my husband's garage door was wide open. My MIL was home and said she heard it open (she was in the dining room) and thought it was weird that I didn't come in until 15 minutes later. Now I'm all paranoid that someone has the frequency of our door and was just testing it out to see if it worked on anyone in the area. :(

I told DH to change the frequency but he never got around to it.  ::) So the only thing I could do this morning was to lock the door going into the house and hope there's nothing bad when I get home. I'm going to make sure he changes it tonight!
Damon Lindelof says there's no need for an island in a Lost-themed ride at Disney World: "Just put people in a black room, spin them around and punch them in the face and tell them 'You just had the Lost experience.'"

Jamnicity

« Reply #737 on: February 21, 2013, 04:37:43 PM »
I don't blame you one bit for wanting to change frequency on the garage door opener. I'd make sure that got done ASAP, too. It's so creepy to imagine your home being invaded. I hope everything is copacetic when you get home!
Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, "Would an idiot do that?" And if they would, I do not do that thing.

lisahoo

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3270
  • such a dork (I <3 you)
    • lisahoo.livejournal.com
« Reply #738 on: February 23, 2013, 03:35:54 PM »
Beer me strength to take the Little Hoo to a birthday party at the evil lair of Chuck E. Cheese tomorrow.  I hate that place more than Michael hates Toby.

Jamnicity

« Reply #739 on: February 23, 2013, 04:03:35 PM »
Strength beered to you, indeed, lisahoo! I haven't been to a Chuck E. Cheese (well, in my day it was called Showbiz Pizza) since I was a kid. Loved it then, but I'm sure I would hate it now. Hope Little Hoo has a good time, though. :)

Callisto

• Human Resources
  • Schrute Bucks: 1214
« Reply #740 on: February 23, 2013, 05:01:27 PM »
Beer me strength to take the Little Hoo to a birthday party at the evil lair of Chuck E. Cheese tomorrow.  I hate that place more than Michael hates Toby.

Strength beered. I hate that place, too.

Right now I'm hating the rash of break-ins that have been going on in my neighborhood (nine since the start of the year). We live in a pretty nice subdivision, where I have always felt safe, but this has gotten me so paranoid. I'm home with my youngest most of the day, so I'm really worried about someone trying to break in during the day, thinking that no one is home. I don't even like going upstairs, because I'm afraid I won't hear if anything is going on downstairs. Now, I've started arming the security system even while I'm home. Once it starts getting dark, I throw on lights inside and out, so it's plainly obvious that someone is home. I just hate living with this anxiety all the time. Hope the police catch this person soon! >:(

Yikes. You can't be too prudent, so don't feel bad about being paranoid - it's scary to not feel safe in your neighborhood. A couple of months ago, my roommate left the garage door open when he went to work. It was open all day and we don't lock the door to the house - at least, we didn't. Fortunately nothing was missing, but we've gotten much more careful about locking the door to the house now.  We're lucky we weren't robbed blind!

Hope they catch the guy soon! 
Love is a cunning weaver of fables and fantasies. - Sappho

lisahoo

• Regional Manager
  • such a dork (I <3 you)
« Reply #741 on: February 23, 2013, 05:08:30 PM »
It's easy to hate how loud and overwhelming the place is -- how that doesn't freak my kids out, I'll never know.

But the thing I hate most is that it teaches my kids materialism and to gamble.  Ugh.  Not to mention the mass birthday song singing can't possibly make the birthday kid feel special.

Heck, it pisses me off that they advertise on PBS.  The whole point of PBS kids is to avoid the damn ads and then they go and introduce my kids to that devil rat!  HATE!   ~0

I have to stop my ranting or I'll say something to offend the mom of the birthday kid tomorrow.

lisahoo

• Regional Manager
  • such a dork (I <3 you)
« Reply #742 on: March 05, 2013, 12:38:07 PM »
Hey self, remember how you though that since you were to lazy to shave it would be better to just wax your own legs?

Yeah, not such a great idea.  Go back to being lazy and just wear long pants.

khand3stooges

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 587
« Reply #743 on: March 21, 2013, 11:59:52 PM »
This could also go in the Beer Me Strength thread, but here goes. My neighbors are on vacation and I am feeding their dog. He is a Beagle who is NEVER alone, he has pretty much howled for 3 days straight. I have had notes put on the door, a man was even waiting outside the house when I went to feed him wondering what was going on. It's so stressful and I have 6 more days. He doesn't like coming to my house either. I have him locked in his house for the night and I will deal with any accidents that occur. I am at a loss for what to do. Their son lives close and is possibly going to try him at his condo. I know this is the last time I take this on.

wendolf

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 651
  • Cousin Mose is awesome.
« Reply #744 on: March 22, 2013, 12:23:24 AM »
Ug, kh, I feel for you. We dogsit all the time (usually at our house) and last summer we watched a beagle that was a total pain in the ass. We actually didn't watch HIM at our house because he chews and pees all over the place so we'd have to go over there first thing in the morning and last thing at night, and several times during the day. We'd get there and he usually had peed in his crate, so we'd have to clean that up. When we walked him he pulled on the leash so bad and would bark that loud, baying beagle bark at anything -- people, other dogs, squirrels -- and wouldn't stop until they were out of sight. Have you ever been snorkeling? You know how when you snorkel you are trying to relax but you're always kind of on the lookout for sharks and jellyfish and stuff? Well, that's how it was with this dog. We'd be walking along and I'd constantly be scanning the streets for any potential barking targets and if I saw anything I'd try to change directions as quickly as possible before he noticed. Not very relaxing at ALL. Needless to say, that just wasn't worth it.

So beered strength and wishes for quieter times for you, my friend!

khand3stooges

• Regional Manager
« Reply #745 on: March 22, 2013, 12:57:26 AM »
Thank you, I guess Beagles are just a tough breed. This guy does the same thing on walks. It's embarrassing to have such a blood curdling howl (that won't stop) when any other dog walks by.

Italian_Food

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 235
  • Oh, Good Lord...
« Reply #746 on: March 22, 2013, 06:10:45 AM »
I don't have any advice for you (except maybe call the son to see if he can help out), but I'm beering you strength.

My neighbor has done this before.  They have two dogs, a shih tzu and a rotweiler.  The little one usually stays with us because he's small and he's my Yorkie's BFF (I'm not kidding, it's adorable), but the Rotweiler stays in the house and between us and some other family members, he gets fed and let our throughout the day.  I always feel so bad for him all alone in the house.  Whenever it's my turn to let him out, he's desperate for attention.
-"Beesley, are you threatening me?"
-"Jim! Jim, Jim, Jim. I'm not threatening you. I love you. But you should know, you're on very dangerous ground."

Jamnicity

« Reply #747 on: March 22, 2013, 08:51:14 AM »
It's embarrassing to have such a blood curdling howl (that won't stop) when any other dog walks by.
I've had similar experiences. We have a pug, who goes crazy barking and lunging whenever we pass other people (especially kids) on walks. We always try to restrain her and stop her barking, but then in her efforts to not bark she lets out the most horrid sounding high-pitched screechy noise. It sounds like we're strangling her, or something. It's so embarrassing! :-[

kh, your situation does sound so stressful. I hope the son will come and take the dog, as that is just too much to lay on a neighbor. If that dog is never alone, you'd think the owners might have anticipated this could be a problem. I've never even heard of leaving a dog alone in the house while on vacation. At any rate, I hope either the dog calms down or the son comes for him soon. Good luck! bighugsicon

Too Late Kev

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 1414
    • Twitter
« Reply #748 on: March 28, 2013, 11:32:44 PM »
 bighugsicon to khand3. If my math is right, it seems like your ordeal should be over by now? I think next time the beagle's owners should find the nicest, friendliest kennel they can. I expect it's expensive, but they should see it as the cost of being a dog-owner and going on vacation.  :-\

khand3stooges

• Regional Manager
« Reply #749 on: March 29, 2013, 12:26:16 AM »
Actually the son came last Friday night and took him until they returned yesterday. :) The owners learned their lesson and will not be leaving him alone again.
On a happy note I got a pound of chocolate covered macadamia nuts.