•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
You are as creepy as a real serial killer.  For real.

Author Topic: Things We Hate: The Gripe Thread #6  (Read 17092 times)

Too Late Kev

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 1414
    • Twitter
Re: Things We Hate: The Gripe Thread #6
« Reply #750 on: March 29, 2013, 12:51:36 AM »
I'm so glad the son took him; that had to have made the dog happier. And yay, candy! :)

It was good of you to try to help your neighbors. :)

girl7

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 1057
« Reply #751 on: May 15, 2013, 04:17:09 PM »
I hate to post in the hate thread when we've got so much to look forward to right now, but I must vent.

I'm home with one of my little boys, who has a ruptured eardrum (he feels just fine, which is astonishing to me, because how painful does that sound?). Anyway, the doorbell rang, and when I opened the door, there was a sketchy looking woman standing there. When she asked me how I was, I replied honestly, "Very busy," and she immediately said, "I'll come back."

Before I could stop myself, I said (again honestly), "Please don't."

Yes, rude of me - I know.  :-\

But there are actually three hates embedded in this:

1) People constantly solicit us for various things (very rarely in any "official" capacity - as in a legitimate looking business) all the freaking time, and it drives me crazy - for one thing, we've got twin three and a half year olds, so there's never a good time for a stranger to show up on our doorstep. We also have two dogs who go crazy and bark their heads off when the doorbell rings, so if the kids are down for a nap...you get the picture.

2) I'm admittedly a worrier, and I get suspicious. Are they casing the house? Up to no good? Why did they stop at our house and not the ones next door (in this case)? Because again, most of these people show up in unmarked cars and don't look remotely professional. This woman was in a beaten up old van with no sign on it, and she did not look in any way professional. It just bugs me. So my MO is usually just to try and dismiss them as politely as I can. This leads to my third hate....

3) In moments like that one (when I told her not to come back), I sit around feeling guilty about it for the rest of the day. Obviously she had fallen upon hard times (so to speak), and I'm sure it's not easy to go door-to-door regardless of what you're selling or asking for. I get that. But showing up at a random person's door in this day and age seems...unfathomable to me.

So...yeah, hating this and irritated at myself for worrying about it. Ugh.

Okay, rant over.

wendolf

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 651
  • Cousin Mose is awesome.
« Reply #752 on: May 15, 2013, 04:48:01 PM »
girl7, I had a similar case of guilt this weekend. There is a Comcast lady who came by a couple of weekends ago and caught my husband while he was outside, just before we were leaving as a family to go see Ironman 3 (my son's choice). She was trying to "save us money" by switching us over from AT&T Uverse. Ok, whatever, she's doing her job. My husband was very polite -- so polite, in fact, that I had to come outside and pretend not to see her right away and say, "Are you ready to go?" Anyway, we dismissed ourselves and she gave my husband her card, and I thought that was the end of it.

Nope. She came back on a week night around dinner time. She asked if I had a chance to talk to my husband about the switch and I said that no, I had not. He's been traveling M-F for the past 8 weeks and frankly, when he's home, switching cable providers to save a few bucks is the least of my concerns (all true). I tried to say all of this very kindly, as I never want to be rude, but I was hoping she would get the hint. She tried to get me to commit to moving forward with the switch to "lock in the deal," saying we could always cancel at any time. I stood my ground and said no, I would not make this kind of decision on the fly and that if Comcast was willing to give me a good deal now to get my business, I'm sure I could get a good deal in the future. She said she'd give us more time and stop back. (I should have told her not to bother then.)

This weekend I hear a knock on our door and open it to find her AGAIN. I was still in my pajamas, cleaning the house, and my frustration hit its peak. I told her that this was not a priority and that my husband and I STILL had not discussed it in our few precious moments together. She asked when she could come back and I said, I don't know. Sorry. My gentleness was completely displaced by my irritation that she was not hearing me.

I don't think she'll be coming back. And even though that's what I wanted, I'M the one who feels guilty now. In fact, I'm being haunted by her! I was at my daughter's track meet yesterday and thought I saw her! It was just a look-a-like, but still ...

Ug.

Italian_Food

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 235
  • Oh, Good Lord...
« Reply #753 on: May 15, 2013, 04:55:41 PM »
I hate solicitors.  Unless you're selling cookies, beat it.

I always listen to their schpeal and then tell them I'm not interested.  I once had a cable representative come 3 TIMES before I threatened her with the cops.  That got rid of her.
-"Beesley, are you threatening me?"
-"Jim! Jim, Jim, Jim. I'm not threatening you. I love you. But you should know, you're on very dangerous ground."

funkybutt

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 390
    • Martin Donovan site
« Reply #754 on: May 15, 2013, 08:06:28 PM »

I don't even want people coming to my door selling cookies unless I know them personally. We've been burned a few times - giving them a check and then they never come back with the product. So sorry, kiddies, those jerks ruined it for the rest of you. If I want cookies, I'll buy them from the group standing outside Target with boxes in hand.

I have a pretty mean annoyed face so people don't usually come back. And I never let people get a peek inside my house.... Just in case.

I used to be more soft hearted - especially on the phone (pre-cell only days), but I got pretty good about just hanging up on them. I felt bad at first b/c I know people are just trying to make money, but I got stuck on too many 15+ minute calls b/c I was being nice.
Damon Lindelof says there's no need for an island in a Lost-themed ride at Disney World: "Just put people in a black room, spin them around and punch them in the face and tell them 'You just had the Lost experience.'"

girl7

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 1057
« Reply #755 on: May 15, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »
wendolf: Trust me when I tell you: You have nothing to feel guilty about! Good grief, it sounds like you were beyond patient with her -- and aside from that, with your husband out of the town so much of the time, you'd be well within your rights to install a steam machine at your front door and blast her with it!  >:D

I_F: Can you put this on a sign for me? I swear I'd hang it outside the door.  :D

funky: Yes, I apparently have a very clear "mean" face, too; my husband calls it "the eyebrow." My peeve is actually people who do hard sells -- as in, follow me around at Bath and Body Works reading off the sale signs to me, asking if I need this or that; I'll at first be firmly polite, but then I just get downright rude if I have to (and yes, I always feel guilty later). But seriously? I am a total product whore; I could tell you more about the black currant vanilla line than you even know, lady, and by the way, that fragrance you're marketing this year under the whole "Italian" line? Yeah, that's just "Fresh Lemonade" recycled. *cough*  :-X

My latest problem is book sellers appearing in my office - no appointment, no phone call, no nothing - just appearing and refusing to leave; one of them gets downright combative with me, and it's absolutely infuriating.

Even still, this is totally different - to be quite frank (and I'm not trying to be mean, honestly) this was a woman in a tube top and shorts with half of her teeth missing. If she was selling a product, she certainly didn't have it with her, and as I said, the van she was in was old and beaten up. Honestly, my first thought is to worry that in cases like that (and this is the kind of "solicitation" we usually get), they're people who are up to no good (to sound like my granny).

I don't think she'll be coming back. And even though that's what I wanted, I'M the one who feels guilty now.

But yes -- then there's this. I've alternated today between worrying that she's starving somewhere or that I hurt her feelings to worrying that I pissed her off and she'll come back and exact her revenge.  ::)

As usual, though, you guys rock for not telling me I'm an awful bitch.  :D And for understanding!

funkybutt

• Regional Manager
    • Martin Donovan site
« Reply #756 on: May 15, 2013, 09:10:59 PM »
Something similar happened to me once when I was in a strip mall coming out of a book store. 2 ragamuffins stopped me and gave me this huge shpeal about how they needed money for gas, etc. I kept saying that I don't carry cash, but they just kept going deeper and deeper with the sob story. I finally went back into the store b/c I figured they wouldn't follow me in there. I felt just awful the rest of the night, but I read a few weeks later on a local board about how they saw someone similar giving the same story for money in a different part of town.

I've been in situations before where I needed help from strangers (car breaking down in a city that wasn't mine, etc) and thankfully there are generous people out there that can see the difference between people truely in trouble and those that are scammers (for the record, I was dressed normally and not in a tube top ;) ).
Damon Lindelof says there's no need for an island in a Lost-themed ride at Disney World: "Just put people in a black room, spin them around and punch them in the face and tell them 'You just had the Lost experience.'"

Callisto

• Human Resources
  • Schrute Bucks: 1214
« Reply #757 on: May 15, 2013, 09:23:01 PM »
I had a guy approach me in the parking lot of the new Target asking for five bucks for gas, blah blah blah, I had no cash and told him so.  Saw him in the same parking lot at least twice more in the next couple of weeks.

I had another guy follow me and my roommate around Home Depot one night explaining how he needed twenty bucks because ...blah blah blah, once I've sized them up I don't pay much attention to whatever story they've concocted... my roommate ended up giving him twenty bucks just to go away.  He's nicer than me. Or more of a sucker. Yeah, that.  ;)

There was another time when we were in Boston, enjoying a couple of lovely days at the Four Seasons, that some guy came up to us when we were walking back into the hotel, and asked us for money for the train back to Providence so he could pick up his stuff at Brown, where he was a grad student.  It was a bizarre tale of how he'd left his wallet at his girlfriend's house but he doesn't have keys and she can't come back and let him in because she's scrubbing in for surgery and he needs to get back to the university so he can call his wife because his son is sick...? I remember being a combination of confused, disbelieving, and mildly impressed that he at least knew Brown is in Providence.  :D

(There is, of course, no particular reason why I know that...) 
Love is a cunning weaver of fables and fantasies. - Sappho

Too Late Kev

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 1414
    • Twitter
« Reply #758 on: May 19, 2013, 03:06:18 AM »
he'd left his wallet at his girlfriend's house but he doesn't have keys and she can't come back and let him in because she's scrubbing in for surgery and he needs to get back to the university so he can call his wife because his son is sick...?

So he's a grad student with a wife and sick kid and a girlfriend (we call them mistresses when you're married to someone else) who's a surgeon! Totally believable, and I feel so sorry for him!

None of you are bad people for not having time for scammers or even legitimate salespeople. And yes, in this day and age, don't ring my doorbell unless you're a kid, a friend/neighbor, or the FedEx/UPS person (most of whom I recognize). Anyone else coming to my door, I probably don't want to see you.

NeverEnoughJam

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 406
    • NeverEnoughJam's website
« Reply #759 on: May 19, 2013, 03:12:00 AM »
And yes, in this day and age, don't ring my doorbell unless you're a kid, a friend/neighbor, or the FedEx/UPS person (most of whom I recognize). Anyone else coming to my door, I probably don't want to see you.

Which is another reason I love my dog. She sounds way more vicious than she really is. :) People tend not to stand there with their finger on the bell when the Hound of the Baskervilles is snarling at them from six inches away.  :o
"Keep your friends close, but keep your stalkers closer." -- John Krasinski

This message is a natural product made from 100% recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Jamnicity

• Assistant (to the) Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 259
« Reply #760 on: May 19, 2013, 05:56:09 PM »
And yes, in this day and age, don't ring my doorbell unless you're a kid, a friend/neighbor, or the FedEx/UPS person (most of whom I recognize). Anyone else coming to my door, I probably don't want to see you.
Same here! In our old house I could easily see from the living room windows who was at the door, without them knowing I was checking. If I didn't know the person, I just wouldn't answer the door. Unfortunately, in our current house there is no easy way to see who is at the door without opening it. I usually peek out the front window to see if there's a mail or delivery truck out there, but if not I always have a moment's hesitation about opening the door. A couple months back we had a rash of break-ins in our neighborhood, and I had heard that the people doing it would ring doorbells to see if anyone was home. If no one answered the door then they'd assume no one was home, so that made me scared not to answer despite not knowing who was on the other side. :-\

I had a guy approach me in the parking lot of the new Target asking for five bucks for gas, blah blah blah, I had no cash and told him so.
This is similar to something that happened to my mom recently. Some woman actually got in the passenger side of my mom's car while she was getting gas, and said she needed a ride to a church parking lot to meet someone, or something like that. I was horrified that my mom actually did give this woman a ride, despite the fact that she wasn't quite buying the woman's story. Of course once they were driving she tried to get my mom to give her money, and my mom said she had none. Then she asked her to go to an ATM, which my mom refused. Once this person saw she really wasn't going to get anything out of my mom she got out of the car. Still, I was horrified! The lesson here, for me, is to always lock my doors when I stop to get gas.
Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, "Would an idiot do that?" And if they would, I do not do that thing.

funkybutt

• Regional Manager
    • Martin Donovan site
« Reply #761 on: May 19, 2013, 09:19:10 PM »
The lesson here, for me, is to always lock my doors when I stop to get gas.

I've always locked my doors b/c I heard of stories of people reaching in for your purse while you're stuck on the other side. I'm floored that your mom got in the car with a stranger. Yikes!  :o

When we were looking to buy a house, we saw a door scope - loved it so much that we bought one for our current house. http://www.doorscopes.com It's pretty awesome b/c I can stand around the corner to peek at the scope and still know if it's someone I know. I was always concerned that someone would see the peep hole turn dark when I looked through it and then they'd know I was home. The thing that stinks, though, is that our living room is right next to the front door so they can pretty much see me at night (when the lights/TV are on). Although, if I hear the bell and I don't get up, then get the hint and LEAVE.

On that note, the thing I hate is that people ring the bell and wake up my toddler. During Halloween, we'll put a note over the bell saying we don't want them to wake up the kid, but a$$holes still ring the bell over the paper. I need a large plastic lock box to cover the bell so they won't ring it.  ::)

S.K

• Schrute Bucks: 367
« Reply #762 on: May 23, 2013, 09:40:58 AM »
I hate morning shifts at work. I only have to be there by 6.30-6.45, but that's practically midnight for me. And it seems impossible for me to sleep well or enough at night when I know the alarm clock is going off at 5 AM. And tonight it will be even worse than usual, because my husband is out of town on business and I cannot fall asleep without him next to me.  :( It's pathetic.

Italian_Food

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 235
  • Oh, Good Lord...
« Reply #763 on: June 13, 2013, 08:22:13 PM »
Lightning struck close enough to my house to fry the following items: My DirecTV satellite dish, my modem/router, my old desktop computer, the receiver that connects our surround sound to the rest of our entertainment center, and the wiring to the outlets in both bathrooms.  The first few are not a big deal. We have the service plan for DirecTV so they'll be out to fix it and Verizon is sending me a new modem for free because it was a natural disaster.  The old desktop was on its way out anyway and the surround receiver is not a necessity, we will replace it eventually.  But that last one, the wiring, that's the kicker.  We called our homeowners insurance because we figure its going to be an expensive job.   :(
-"Beesley, are you threatening me?"
-"Jim! Jim, Jim, Jim. I'm not threatening you. I love you. But you should know, you're on very dangerous ground."

Jamnicity

• Schrute Bucks: 259
« Reply #764 on: June 13, 2013, 09:03:08 PM »
Oh that sucks, I_F! A similar thing happened to us years ago right after we'd bought our first house. We had been away for the weekend and came home to find out that lightning had struck close enough to our house to fry the garage door, phone lines, burn out our TiVo (so we lost everything on it, including all my saved Office episodes. >:() and I can't even remember what else. I'm glad most of your stuff isn't too big a deal for you, and I hope the insurance will cover your wiring. Good luck! bighugsicon
Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, "Would an idiot do that?" And if they would, I do not do that thing.