•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
Tell her it's for Creed.  She'll know what that means.

Author Topic: Parenting & Pregnancy #6: Oh, good. You know everything.  (Read 18332 times)

colette

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3385
Re: Parenting & Pregnancy #6: Oh, good. You know everything.
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2010, 07:45:30 PM »

They all do, right, Colette?  

Well, I'm no potty-training expert, EH  :o, but in my experience, you are correct, m'am!

When I was frustrated with my first's refusal to acknowledge the advent of the flush toilet, I remember my mom telling me 'it will happen - no one ever went to college in diapers'...and still being pretty certain he'd make history.

Anyway, ditto all the advice already given, Jamnicity....will just add one thing I do know: 'progress' with kids is rarely - if ever - a linear, straight up process. It's all about ups/downs, starts/stops, good days/bad days....and eventually getting there. I've found this to be true, from potty training to SAT practice exams. So have faith (and maybe a glass of wine too.  ;))

Oh and EH - hope your daughter feels better. Yuck. Not fun.  :(

Jamnicity

• Assistant (to the) Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 259
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2010, 07:56:38 PM »
So have faith (and maybe a glass of wine too.  ;))
Thanks for the advice and support EH and Colette. I know I completely need to have more faith that he'll eventually get it regardless of how much or little I push the issue, and this whole potty training issue will soon be a distant memory (probably in time to train little brother). But, for tonight, I've got the glass of wine covered.   ;D
Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, "Would an idiot do that?" And if they would, I do not do that thing.

lisahoo

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3270
  • such a dork (I <3 you)
    • lisahoo.livejournal.com
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2010, 01:09:25 PM »
HooBaby#1 (now 6 years old) is excitedly opening a birthday present from her grandparents.

Me: "So, what do you say?"
HB1: "YES!"

SnoWhiteSally

• CEO
  • Schrute Bucks: 860
  • Looking for her Jim.
    • Sally's Boutique
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2010, 01:23:19 PM »
That is SO cute.

funkybutt

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 390
    • Martin Donovan site
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2010, 07:15:01 PM »
Ugh - I'm really annoyed at my MIL right now! She's been listening to me talk about how I only want Funkytot to eat healthy food b/c he's a brand new human and the thought of giving him junk right now makes me sad. Even though I abuse my body with junk food, he relies on me to take care of him the best that I can. I only feed him organic food and I've railed a few times about how I don;t want him eating preservatives and I want to severely limit his sugar intake.

About a month ago, my husband told me that she fed Funkytot some Cheerios b/c she didn't have any finger foods at her house (she usually watches him at our house). I was annoyed at the time b/c I had specifically mentioned how I don't want him eating Cheerios b/c of sugar (yes, I know his organic puffs have sugar, but it's a different kind and it's not filled with junky preservatives). I didn't say anything to her b/c my husband told her she knew that I wouldn't like it so she shouldn't do it again.

Well....... today I was talking to her for about 30 minutes, but she waited until after my husband got home to "drop the bombshell." She fed him freakin' ice cream!!! What gets me is that she fed my niece (her granddaughter) ice cream and my BIL seriously went off on her about how he wanted to be the first to give the baby ice cream and my MIL robbed him of that experience. Apparently, he got so mad that my MIL still holds a grudge against him for being so rude about it.

So, she already has "battle scars" about feeding a grandbaby ice cream and she *knows* I don't want him eating junk, but she still freakin' feeds it to him?!  >:(

(Let me just say that I know he'll eat plenty of junk, preservatives, and sugar, but it's easy to control his intake right now b/c he's eating jar food so why should I be in a rush to give it to him?)

In other MIL news, she decided to take her farm off the market (without letting us know until months after the fact and even though we've been paying her mortgage here) and has pretty much decided to move back even though she bought a house here (already contacted her realtor for information). Today's incident softens the blow, but I'm really going to be bummed if she moves back. I grew up without extended family and it's sad for me to think that FT'll grow up not knowing his grandparents. Yeah, it's also been nice saving the daycare costs, and it's also nice that he's watched by someone that loves him, but it'd be nice if she lived here so Funkytot could see her often. (Although, I'm partially glad that he'll be going back to daycare so he'll be around other kids b/c I've noticed at playdates that he's too content to chew on toys by himself while watching the other babies crawl all over each other & play.)
Damon Lindelof says there's no need for an island in a Lost-themed ride at Disney World: "Just put people in a black room, spin them around and punch them in the face and tell them 'You just had the Lost experience.'"

wendolf

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 651
  • Cousin Mose is awesome.
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2010, 12:35:40 PM »
Ah, funkybutt ... I remember those days. I admire your perseverance because I think I gave up early on both my MIL and my mom feeding my kids the foods I wanted them too. I realized that I could control what they ate when they were with me, but I could only make my feelings known to the grandmas -- didn't mean they were going to listen. Frustrating, yes, but they were both watching my kids for free and I didn't feel comfortable pushing the issue. So ... I have no good advice for you. Sorry!

My daughter had a bit of a rough night last night. She starts middle school on Monday and she's worried about the unknown. She's a worrier, glass-half-empty kind of girl anyway and new situations like this stress her out. But the thing that she was really frustrated with was that she's now wearing a size 11 shoe (yes, 11 women's. She's not even 12 years old. Crazy.) and we can't find any cute back-to-school shoes in her size. Does anyone have any shoe shopping tips for big-footed girls? I know I can find shoes online, but I'm looking for stores that might carry larger sizes.

Ah, back-to-school mixed emotions...  :-\

funkybutt

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 390
    • Martin Donovan site
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2010, 01:38:25 PM »
Yeah, I figure I have to pick my battles. I ended up calling my mom to vent so I could get it out of my system and move on. Later, I asked my husband to make sure that he tells his mom not to do it again (which he did this morning). We'll see if she sticks to it or if she just starts doing it behind my back. My mom was funny b/c she was trying to say it was no big deal.... until I told her that FT got 5 spoonfuls of ice cream instead of just a little bite. She definitely didn't agree with that (thankfully since she's coming here in a few weeks to watch him for a bit since she doesn't get to see him much).

I wear a size 9.5-10 shoe, but I don't know where to get "cute" shoes. I tend to buy mine from either JC Penney or Payless. I have the added headache of trying to find wide shoes since the regular size tends to be too small, but I usually have good luck at those stores.
Damon Lindelof says there's no need for an island in a Lost-themed ride at Disney World: "Just put people in a black room, spin them around and punch them in the face and tell them 'You just had the Lost experience.'"

wendolf

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 651
  • Cousin Mose is awesome.
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2010, 01:46:26 PM »
I wear a 10, too, but I don't seem to have problems finding shoes. Some stores don't even carry 11s, though. I'll try the stores you mentioned, though. I know Kohl's carries 11s and I've heard places like Nordstrom Rack have bigger sizes...

Thanks!

jazzfan

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 1250
  • Jazz will set you free
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2010, 05:47:34 PM »

But the thing that she was really frustrated with was that she's now wearing a size 11 shoe (yes, 11 women's. She's not even 12 years old. Crazy.) and we can't find any cute back-to-school shoes in her size. Does anyone have any shoe shopping tips for big-footed girls? I know I can find shoes online, but I'm looking for stores that might carry larger sizes.

What kind of shoes?  Sneakers?  Flip flops?  Girly looking shoes?
Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all
--Emily Dickinson

SnoWhiteSally

• CEO
  • Looking for her Jim.
    • Sally's Boutique
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2010, 06:17:49 PM »
My sister was a size 8 (US 10) when she was 11 and had the same problem. I know you guys have a store that sells cute larger and wider shoes. I wish I could remember the name. I will go see if Google has anything.

albie

• Schrute Bucks: 446
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2010, 09:19:06 PM »
Wendolf: I second Nordstrom Rack. Have you tried DSW? Do you have a Globe Shoes? That's all I can think of offhand.
"Are you inching away from me?"
"No."
"Reach your arms out."
"I'm always this close."
-- Pamsmiley Jimsmiley

Jamnicity

• Schrute Bucks: 259
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2010, 10:33:20 AM »
Ah, Funky I completely understand your frustration about the food. I wasn't super picky about my older son's foods, but generally wanted them to be healthy. I held off on sweets for a long time (until potty training started making them necessary), but my parents were always wanting to give him sweets. Once when my husband and I were away for the weekend, we came home to find that my parents had taken him to Dairy Queen and given him a strawberry sundae for his lunch. He was 2. Another time, he was staying at my mom's house and she was giving him whipped cream on his waffles every morning. I could've freaked, but I told myself in the grand scheme of things a little sundae here or whipped cream there is not going to hurt. I will grant, though, that my son was older than yours in these incidents, and I definitely would've flipped had he been given ice cream while he was still in the jar food stage.

On a whole different note, I must share two sweet stories, because these are the moments I am so proud of my little guy. First, a little background. My 92 year old grandmother lives with my mom, and she is really bad off right now. She can't move on her own at all, can barely feed herself. She'll be heading for a nursing home next week, and none of us expects her to live much longer. My mom has been her sole caretaker for years, and I have never seen my mom so frazzled and stressed, as on our visit to her house last week. Well, sweet moment #1: My mom and my son were sitting down by the river near her house, throwing rocks and sticks into the river. My 3 year old son put his hand on his Nana's shoulder and said, "Nana, I just love doing this with you." I know that was just the kind of boost my mom needed. Sweet moment #2: My mom has several solar powered globe/lanterns in her yard, that turn on once it starts getting dark. My son calls them the moon. While we were visiting he liked to bring them upstairs to my grandmother to show her the moon. The first night we were there he brought one up, and Granny was so thrilled. In her very old lady voice she said, "Oh, you brought me the moon!"  :)
Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, "Would an idiot do that?" And if they would, I do not do that thing.

SnoWhiteSally

• CEO
  • Looking for her Jim.
    • Sally's Boutique
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2010, 11:10:45 AM »
Your little boy sounds so cute, and seems to have such a sweet little nature. I love when they come out with these things out of nowhere and they're SO genuine, you know?

lisahoo

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3270
  • such a dork (I <3 you)
    • lisahoo.livejournal.com
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2010, 10:12:03 PM »
Just want to brag a bit -- I finished buying all the school supplies for preschool and kindergarten for the HooBabies! 

Holy smokes, I had to go to Target 3 different times before I figured out where they were hiding the glue sticks -- HB#1 needs 15 of them!  And when they're so little, their school lists include things like: box of tissues, Lysol wipes, Ziplock bags, roll of paper towels, etc. 

No WAY the HB's can carry all this stuff to school!!

sharky

• Business Park Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 418
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2010, 05:50:46 PM »
Geez, you need a suitcase to take all that stuff to school!

Just wanted to drop in and say thanks to everyone. We celebrated the little one's first birthday on Friday! So thanks for all the help with all the questions this past year. We made it! Speaking of bad food though, we did in fact give him a piece of cake but I think he got more of it all over himself than in his mouth. We took him straight from the high chair to the bathtub.