•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
They say you should never mix business with pleasure.  Really?  Well then, explain to me how a putt-putt golf company operates.

Author Topic: Parenting & Pregnancy #6: Oh, good. You know everything.  (Read 17125 times)

girl7

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 1057
Re: Parenting & Pregnancy #6: Oh, good. You know everything.
« Reply #960 on: March 19, 2016, 08:10:05 PM »
Hiiii, all!!! I've been unable to log in for some time, so I'm ecstatic that I finally remembered my password.  ::)

How are you guys? How're the kids? How're you hanging in?

(Side note: If you want to follow my nonsense goings on, DM me. I'm on Twitter, believe it or not. No Facebook account - skipped right on to Twitter. I make no sense; I know.)

Our guys turned six on JK's birthday (cough), and they're a handful. Oddly enough (or maybe not), they're remained true to the personalities they had even in the womb.

Remember how Baby B would kick incessantly? Shift such that his butt protruded obviously between my ribs? Well, he's all sass and charm - he proposed to his Student Teacher last week (no kidding). He also has an artistic streak that he gets from the husband (fanfic is the best that I can do), loves to draw.

He's funny and is mired quite in the Oedipus complex at the mo - it's great for my ego. Regardless of what I do (or wear), he's all wide-eyed, "Oh, mommy...you're so beautiful, and you smell so pretty!"

As a forty-two year old, I'll take it.  :D

His brother is super-sensitive and off the charts brilliant - loves to read (ah, my heart!). He's content to amuse himself, be it with his Leap Pad or a book. He doesn't understand the concept of an inside voice (which is kind of adorable at times), and precedes almost every statement with, "Mommy, Daddy, gueff what?" Or, "I have to tell you somefing!"

They're just a joy. A lot of work. Is my house a disaster? Why, yes, thank you for asking.  ;D

But they're worth it.

I want to hear all about you guys' kids - all of them! I'd list names, but the truth is that I've been sorely missing all of you...really. So update, post, DM me.

You all got me through pregnancy and childbirth, and even those perilous first years. I miss you so much.

Know what else I miss? Writing fanfic. I so wish I had the time now.

Here's the irony: The ex-boyfriend who inspired my depictions of Jim? We dated for a year in 1994 (me 19, him 24); we dated again (when I was 24, he 35). We remained friends in between break-ups, but the last one was pretty rough.

A lot of what I wrote from Jim's point of view came straight from the ex.

The happy bit? I married my one; we had kids. Sixteen years passed, during which time the ex and I stayed in communication via email. Eventually we started having lunch and hanging out (as friends), and I realized how ridiculous it was that he wasn't real a part of my life.

Then over a year ago, he and the husband met for the first time. There was plenty of posturing on both their parts before the meeting, but once they were face-to-face, it's like I faded into the background. It was truly awesome, friends, the way that they got each other, discarded egos and alpha nonsense.

Now the guy who was the inspiration for my tortured Jim is best friends with my husband. It's nowhere near as twisted or sordid as it sounds. I mean, my boys call him "Uncle," and he & the husband would just as soon hang out without me.

I did send him a few excerpts of my writing. (He's a professional writer -think newspaper and magazine.) He had his criticisms, but overall wanted to watch the show, so SCORE!

Having said all this: I miss you all so much. I know you've got a group on facebook - send me the info, and I'll happily join, but only to stay in touch with you amazing people.

wendolf

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 651
  • Cousin Mose is awesome.
« Reply #961 on: March 29, 2016, 10:38:36 AM »
girl7, just this morning I was driving to work and thinking about how much I miss this place! I was thinking what great conversations we could be having about the presidential race and new TV Boyfriends and all of our kids' stuff. So on a whim I checked over, and here was such a lovely update from you on your boys! SIX???!!! How can they possibly be 6?! It is insane how fast time is going by. Pics please??? I love that one of your boys proposed to his student teacher. You've got a young, romantic Jim Halpert on your hands!

As for my kiddos, dolfin1 is 17 and dolfin2 is almost 15. Pics below, if I can remember how to post them.

(click to show/hide)

My daughter (dolfin1) just bought a prom dress so ... yeah. Old isn't a sufficient enough word for how I'm feeling.
(click to show/hide)

Also, my son is determined to grow a playoff beard for hockey playoffs. And they are both taller than me. *sigh* If you look down a couple of posts, you can see what they looked like around the time the office premiered.

Dolfin 1 is the same as ever -- intense, emotional, hard working, super smart. She's been a vegetarian for about a year now and is a total foodie. LOVES cooking and shopping at Whole Foods and taking pictures of her food. She has a food blog (avocontrol.weebly.com) and is basically an overachiever in every way. Still playing volleyball pretty competitively but is starting to think that maybe she doesn't want to play in college, which is probably a good thing. She's getting a little burnt (or is it burned) out.

Dolfin2 is also the same kid he's always been, too -- chill, a bit lazy, also super smart but much less intense about it. Plays hockey and video games and hangs out with his posse of fellow nerds going to Comicon and such. Total history buff who loves WWII airplanes.

We're in the midst of college searching for #1. She wants to leave the midwest and head west (pacific NW or rocky mountains) or maybe east. She's a great student, great test scores, so she should get in to most places she wants to go ... except maybe Stanford, which is her dream school. But, we'll see.

In other news, (I've posted this in other places, but might as well self promote any chance I get, right?), I ACTUALLY HAVE A BOOK DEAL! I've been writing pretty steadily since the fanfic days -- I wrote a script (which I recently reread, and really like, but have no idea what to do with) and then two young adult novels. One was sort of a political dystopian story that I couldn't sell -- I missed that window, unfortunately. The other is a contemporary story with a touch of paranormal, and I was able to find an agent really quickly, and she was able to sell it really quickly, and now, if everything goes as planned, my book should be published in Fall of 2017! I really have to credit the whole MTT gang for getting me to write again after many years of ... not writing. Writing Fanfic stoked the fires and built my confidence and I can't say enough great things about this community. I can't share a whole lot of details about the publisher (it's a kids publisher that is adding a teen imprint, and I'm not sure if it's been announced yet), or my editor (she was the editor of probably the most FAMOUS young adult series of the 2000s), but I'm SUPER excited and can't wait! Working title is Zenn Diagram (though I suppose that could change).

Everything else is going well ... Mr. Wendolf is great. My only real complaint is that, after working part time for the past 17 years, I returned to work full time this January. And I HATE it. Seriously, I hate it. I was so freaking spoiled for all those years. But, I guess it is motivation for me to figure out a way to write more, sell more, do anything to quit my day job.

Anyone else out there? Would love to hear from everyone!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 10:50:41 AM by wendolf »

sharky

• Business Park Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 418
« Reply #962 on: June 26, 2016, 08:57:33 PM »
You guys! It's been forever since I checked in, but came to say hi and look! Updates!

So the baby boom of 2009 is also still being felt in our house. My oldest is turning seven in two months! WTF. And I have another one now too. Two boys -- six and three -- are definitely keeping me on my toes.

I finally went back to work about six months ago, but it's part time and I work from home. It actually works out great with the little ones since I don't have to worry about day care or baby sitters. It all just fits neatly in my schedule, which is so nice.

So yea, I miss you guys! :( Hopefully, things will pick up here again.

funkybutt

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 390
    • Martin Donovan site
« Reply #963 on: July 08, 2016, 10:17:16 AM »
So glad to hear from you, girl7! Your boys sound amazing! Funkytot is growing like a weed - he's 96th% in height so he's taller than most of the kids in his class. He's a pretty funny kid - he has a great sarcastic wit. :)

Not sure if my DM went through, but I'm also on Twitter - same username.
Damon Lindelof says there's no need for an island in a Lost-themed ride at Disney World: "Just put people in a black room, spin them around and punch them in the face and tell them 'You just had the Lost experience.'"

girl7

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 1057
« Reply #964 on: September 29, 2016, 08:11:37 PM »
Listen, my friends, I'm posting in every available thread to try and help resurrect this place!

I can't get the italics and bolding to work for me - sorry.

Funky: I know where you are, sister, because my two are just a week behind your sweet one! They're little sponges, soaking up so much knowledge (and sharing so much knowledge! EEPS.)

How about the rest of you? How're you doing? I miss you all so much - you fabulous women got me through my pregnancy and beyond. Love to you ALL!

sharky

• Business Park Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 418
« Reply #965 on: September 30, 2016, 09:05:34 PM »
Hey, are we supposed to move all this over to the streamlined board? Should we start a new parenting thread there?

Ladama

• CEO
  • Schrute Bucks: 12
    • Flonkerton
« Reply #966 on: October 01, 2016, 10:48:26 PM »
Hey, are we supposed to move all this over to the streamlined board? Should we start a new parenting thread there?

Yes, please come check out the new boards! We have a few MTTers signed up there whose names you all my recognize, just need to get a little conversation going! So sign up and please feel free to start a new parenting topic! There's this fun feature there where you can @name any user and it "mentions" them, kind of like Twitter :-D