•  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Please check out our new streamlined message boards
Every little boy fantasizes about his fairytale wedding.

Author Topic: BOOKS: Frankie's prose is finer than a pot of gold, say I  (Read 15735 times)

Italian_Food

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 235
  • Oh, Good Lord...
Re: BOOKS: Frankie's prose is finer than a pot of gold, say I
« Reply #825 on: June 25, 2012, 08:21:49 PM »
Haha, Lisa, you crack me up.  My mom keeps trying to talk me into reading it.  That right there is enough to turn me away from it.  I do not want to discuss erotica with my mother, thank you very much.  Not that I have any problem with erotica, but now that I know my mom read it, I would not be able to get through it without out that thought popping into my head.  If she suddenly called me and said, "Hey, I know you're a big Jim and Pam fan, how hot was <insert the name of the smuttiest piece of fanfic here>, you'd guys would never see me again.  :P
-"Beesley, are you threatening me?"
-"Jim! Jim, Jim, Jim. I'm not threatening you. I love you. But you should know, you're on very dangerous ground."

wendolf

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 651
  • Cousin Mose is awesome.
« Reply #826 on: June 25, 2012, 10:59:56 PM »
Haha, Lisa, you crack me up.  My mom keeps trying to talk me into reading it.  That right there is enough to turn me away from it.  I do not want to discuss erotica with my mother, thank you very much.  Not that I have any problem with erotica, but now that I know my mom read it, I would not be able to get through it without out that thought popping into my head.  If she suddenly called me and said, "Hey, I know you're a big Jim and Pam fan, how hot was <insert the name of the smuttiest piece of fanfic here>, you'd guys would never see me again.  :P

My mom GAVE me her copies of all three books after she read them. Um .... ew.  eekicon Needless to say, I haven't looked at them. The stereotypical characters alone are enough to turn me off. I'd rather read (or write) smutty Office fanfic any day.

Italian_Food

• Regional Manager
  • Oh, Good Lord...
« Reply #827 on: July 01, 2012, 11:28:16 PM »
Evidence that some Fifty Shaders are delusional: I was discussing my failing goal to conquer the "1001 books to read before you die" list at work and someone suggested that Fifty Shades will probably make that list.  My response, "I highly doubt that, War and Peace is on this list." Her response, "What's that?"  wallicon wallicon wallicon
-"Jim! Jim, Jim, Jim. I'm not threatening you. I love you. But you should know, you're on very dangerous ground."

lisahoo

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3270
  • such a dork (I <3 you)
    • lisahoo.livejournal.com
« Reply #828 on: July 02, 2012, 08:25:23 AM »
Evidence that some Fifty Shaders are delusional: I was discussing my failing goal to conquer the "1001 books to read before you die" list at work and someone suggested that Fifty Shades will probably make that list.  My response, "I highly doubt that, War and Peace is on this list." Her response, "What's that?"  wallicon wallicon wallicon

The list is "1001 books to read before you die", not guilty pleasure books. "1001 books to read before you die" are the books you're going to read for the rest of your life! Forever! Unforgivable.    Jimsmiley

NanReg

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3249
« Reply #829 on: July 02, 2012, 12:52:25 PM »
I'd rather read (or write) smutty Office fanfic any day.

Yes, please!

justkaren

• Assistant (to the) Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 706
« Reply #830 on: July 02, 2012, 05:17:22 PM »
Evidence that some Fifty Shaders are delusional: I was discussing my failing goal to conquer the "1001 books to read before you die" list at work and someone suggested that Fifty Shades will probably make that list.  My response, "I highly doubt that, War and Peace is on this list." Her response, "What's that?"  Wall Wall Wall

This make me sad. I loathe stupid people.
Racked up another one. Score!

Italian_Food

• Regional Manager
  • Oh, Good Lord...
« Reply #831 on: July 02, 2012, 10:40:27 PM »
Evidence that some Fifty Shaders are delusional: I was discussing my failing goal to conquer the "1001 books to read before you die" list at work and someone suggested that Fifty Shades will probably make that list.  My response, "I highly doubt that, War and Peace is on this list." Her response, "What's that?"  Wall Wall Wall

This make me sad. I loathe stupid people.

Justkaren, you have no idea what I deal with on a daily basis.  I want to bang my head against a desk.

funkybutt

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 390
    • Martin Donovan site
« Reply #832 on: February 02, 2013, 07:35:17 AM »
I finally finished the 50 Shades trilogy - what a steaming pile of crap! I listened enough to find out what happened but the writing was just horrible! After the initial interest in the smut of the first book, I looked forward to the smut in the second and third book just so I could skip past them and finish the books sooner. :p

Anyway, anyone have any suggestions for what's next? I combed through this thread and read most of the recommendations so anything new would be good. I'm a out to start the Outlander series so we'll see how that goes.
Damon Lindelof says there's no need for an island in a Lost-themed ride at Disney World: "Just put people in a black room, spin them around and punch them in the face and tell them 'You just had the Lost experience.'"

lisahoo

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 3270
  • such a dork (I <3 you)
    • lisahoo.livejournal.com
« Reply #833 on: February 02, 2013, 03:40:21 PM »
I just finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern -- it was really good -- I had to wait a while to get it at the library, but worth it.

I also liked State of Wonder by Ann Patchett was good too. 

Two I read this month that were just kinda average:  Laura Lamont's Life in Pictures and Flight Behavior

If you're not on GoodReads, I highly recommend it as a way to get book recommendations!

OfficeLady

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 389
« Reply #834 on: April 02, 2013, 04:43:51 PM »
I'm reading the '50 Shades' trilogy and I must say.......If you sort of skip over the erotica and just read the story, It's a pretty nice love story, I think. I know it gets blasted for poor writing, but hey......I think she writes Anastasia and Christian pretty well. If I gave specific opinions it might spoil the store for some. Also, maybe the reason I'm liking it is that the background is Seattle. I know all those places EL writes about.

I went to Escala once to take a look. After my husband died I was convinced that I should live downtown, which is a new concept for  Seattlites. The building is beautiful and they used a real sexy babe in their publicity ads. I also thought -- oh that's who they want to live here -- that's not me. Anyway I did pass and bought a condo in a quiet town outside of Seattle.I began to see that a woman living alone needs to be in a safer place. It's a beautiful building in a great location.

I follow EL on Twitter. She's been going back and forth to LA from London, probably helping with the script and possibly watching some screen tests of Christian and Anastasia.  All I can say is that whoever they pick for Christian, better be a good actor or he will be a big joke. As for Anastasia, I'm thinking -- and I hate to say it -- Kristen Stewart. Ana is scruffy with unruly hair at the beginning and I think KS is naturally those. She's also pouty and has a strong spirit, not a submissive, just a little shy -- and KS is like that , too. Cheers  laughingicon

wendolf

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 651
  • Cousin Mose is awesome.
« Reply #835 on: June 13, 2013, 10:34:54 PM »
I just finished Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter and I really, really enjoyed it. Even though I assumed it was written by a woman the whole time and then found out after that it was written by a man (Hate that for some reason. Can't put my finger on why. And it works either way - when I think it's written by a man and then find out the author is a woman. It just throws me off, for some reason.) Anyway, it was a very well crafted, well written, but also thoroughly entertaining novel about regret, Hollywood, WWII, Italy, the Donner Party ... I can't even explain it. But I loved it.

rahenson1

• Sales Associate
  • Schrute Bucks: 69
« Reply #836 on: June 14, 2013, 01:31:02 PM »
In the non-fiction world I read Rachel Maddow's Drift.  It talks about how we have removed war from the general population and how that makes it easier to have wars.  The chapter on our nuclear weapons was particularly amazeballs as she would say.  If you watch her news show or like her on the Sunday morning talk shows when she is on then you should buy the book.

In fiction I am working on The Shining now.  About two thirds through and as I had already heard it is dramatically different from the movie.
The boat was actually Plan C.  The church was Plan B.  And Plan A was marrying her a long, long time ago.  Pretty much the day I met her.

Callisto

• Human Resources
  • Schrute Bucks: 1214
« Reply #837 on: June 14, 2013, 08:45:24 PM »
In fiction I am working on The Shining now.  About two thirds through and as I had already heard it is dramatically different from the movie.

I love the book - there was a time when I had read every single Stephen King novel, and that one is really good.  I liked how when they remade it into a miniseries with the guy from Wings, they scrapped that hedge maze and used the hedge animals from the book. Creepy!

A friend of mine recently gave me a couple of Chuck Palahniuk books, "Diary" and "Lullaby." I loved "Lullaby" more than the other but his writing style is really interesting. I suppose I should read his most famous book, "Fight Club," but I fear I've seen the movie too many times. ;)
Love is a cunning weaver of fables and fantasies. - Sappho

OfficeLady

• Regional Manager
  • Schrute Bucks: 389
« Reply #838 on: June 09, 2014, 05:41:19 PM »
I just finished 'The Invention of Wings', by Sue Monk Kidd. It is the story of  a girl from a slave-owning family and a slave-girl, who were around the same age. It takes place in 1803 - 1838. It is probably the most beautifully-written story I've ever read. The author writes a nice 'Author's Note" at the end, sharing what parts are true and what parts are in her imagination. This story reminds me to be grateful that I am a woman in the United States of America in 2014.   bighugsicon