Slightly Off by UnWritten007
Summary: I've been here for three years. Three long years, behind the camera, capturing every moment I could possibly weasle in. But this, this was my shining moment.
Categories: Present, Jim and Pam Characters: Jim/Pam
Genres: Oneshot
Warnings: No Warnings Apply
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 653 Read: 2270 Published: May 27, 2007 Updated: May 27, 2007
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Slightly off by UnWritten007

I stare dumbly straight ahead of me for a moment or two. I'm not even involved in the situation, though I can feel the impact.

I shut off the recording on my camera. I feel like I'm intruding, all of a sudden. Like my camera, nor I, should be involved in this. Not in such a private, pivotal moment.

"I'm sorry...what was the question?" Pam asks me. Hell, I'm not even sure after that.

Oh yes, I remember. I was asking who she thought would get the job in Corporate. And she went on about Jim. What would happen if he left. And of course, she'd be fine if he moved to New York. Even how he may never come back, but they'd stay in touch.

Apparently, she was slightly off.

I had seen Jim before Pam did, through the slots of the shutters. His frantic, swift movements just before crashing the door in had caught my attention. I had only seconds to calculate his presence, but my idea proved true.

He had come back. For Pam. And I had a real good feeling that it wasn't because he was denied the job offer.

He had asked for dinner. A date, he assured. Good man. It sure took you a while to gather the courage again, but you did it. By the look on Pam's glowing face, Jim sure had succeeded.

Back to Pam. It did my heart good to see her, so happy that even she could not hide her immense joy. "That's okay, I think we have what we needed."

She nods, wiping away a tear that started to spill from her welling eyes. "Thank you." She replies, stuttering, as she shuffles out of the room.

Instead of returning to her desk, she took a turn down the hall, leaving the office. I glance at my watch. It wasn't nearly time to go home yet, far from it. Not to mention, I can still see her purse and light spring jacket hanging up. Her thoughts were so preoccupied, she had forgotten to take the most basic of things.

I've been here for three years. Three long years, behind the camera, capturing every moment I could possibly weasle in. Some of it, I suppose, was not fair of me to do. I snuck around corners, shot through windows, zoomed in from hiding far away. I've followed everyone around like a lost puppy, hoping they'd be normal, hoping they'd forget all about me.

But this, this was my shining moment. Not because I managed to record it. Not because I was here to witness it. But because somehow, I feel happy and proud for those two. I feel somehow like the proud papa, seeing his children finally be happy and reconciled. Finally being apart of what they should have been for so long.

It took Jim two years to step up. Pam, three. And one week more for Jim to follow through. And now, finally, after all this time, they had set up a date. It was the beginning of a whole new chapter. The flourishing of a new relationship. And I was here to witness it.

I rewind the tape, checking to see if Jim had noted about which restaurant he was planning to go to with Pam. He hadn't. That was alright, I had my ways.

 

After all, it wasn't intruding, what I was about to do. Who wouldn't want their first memorial date to be perfectly captured on camera? To be seen by millions, along with all their co-workers?

It was fate that I was here today. So it's only natural I fulfil my duty.

Picking up my phone, I start to dial every restaurant in the Scranton area with a reservation for Jim Halpert. Let the spying, uh, camera duty, begin!

 

This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1950