We Belong by agd300
Summary: In response to the "Injury" challenge. There's an accident and it forces Pam and Jim to really deal with each other. How they progress and move forward.
Categories: Jim and Pam, Future Characters: Jim/Pam, Kelly, Ryan
Genres: Angst, Romance, Weekend
Warnings: Adult language, Mild sexual content
Challenges: Injury
Challenges: Injury
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes Word count: 5851 Read: 24053 Published: July 24, 2006 Updated: August 31, 2006

1. Chapter 1 by agd300

2. Chapter 2 by agd300

3. Chapter 3 by agd300

4. Chapter 4 by agd300

5. Chapter 5 by agd300

6. Chapter 6 by agd300

7. Chapter 7 by agd300

Chapter 1 by agd300
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
She cleaned on Saturdays. It was just something she did, even after Roy had moved out. She thought that it was better to stay in a routine than to not, so she cleaned on Saturday afternoons and watched the new HBO movie on Saturday nights. It was what she did before… before it all changed, so she just kept going. She knew she had to keep going or else she would lose it and she had promised herself that that wasn’t going to happen.

She was dusting when the phone rang, jolting her out of her reverie. The phone had barely rang in the last few weeks and she was contemplating just disconnecting the damn thing and living off her cell phone, not that that rang very much any more either. She walked across the kitchen and picked up the phone.

“Hello?”

All Pam heard on the other end was sobbing. “Hello? Who’s there?!?”

“Oh… Pam… oh… my… god…”

“Kelly?”

“Oh my god, Pam, I just can’t… can you come and sit with me… I just… I can’t be here by myself…”

Pam struggled to make out the words as Kelly cried into the phone. “Kelly, please, you’ve got to calm down. What in the world is going on?”

“Oh God… I just… Ryan was picking up Jim from the airport this afternoon and there was a drunk driver and… Pam, I saw his car and it’s totaled and I just… and no one will tell me a damn thing and…”

Pam felt like she couldn’t breathe – Jim was in an accident. Jim was hurt. Jim could be… the thought made Pam feel nauseous.

“Pam, I didn’t know who else to call… I just… I’m just sitting here, being ignored and…”

Pam shot across the room, grabbing her keys and purse off the counter. “I’m on my way” she said. She dropped the phone into the receiver and bolted out the door.

TBC
Chapter 2 by agd300
She threw open the doors and sprinted into the emergency room, looking for Kelly. She found her, sitting in the corner, a pile of tissues on the table next to her.

“Kelly!”

Kelly looked up as Pam maneuvered around the room to her. Kelly stood up and hugged Pam, crying into her shoulder.

“Have you heard anything yet?” Pam was doing her best to not sound completely scared shitless, but she doubted she was succeeding.

Kelly pulled back and wiped her eyes. “No, nothing. Something about family only and…” Kelly froze and Pam watched her eyes widen. “Oh thank God!” Kelly screamed as she vaulted across the room. Pam turned slowly and saw Ryan appear through the doors, a sling across the left arm. Kelly walked up and wrapped her arms around his neck. He slid his right arm around her waist and leaned his head down into her shoulder. Pam swallowed the large lump in her throat as the doors opened again and Jim appeared on crutches, his right ankle wrapped up and a bruise appearing on his right cheek.

Pam smiled and walked across the room. She wanted to throw her arms around him, but she stopped short when she saw the distant look in his eyes. They hadn’t talked to each other at all after the casino night. He had started disappearing during his lunch hour and spent all day on the phone. He wasn’t talking to her, or acknowledging her existence, but his sales had sky rocketed and he seemed to be single handedly saving the branch from closing down. He didn’t even say goodbye before he left for his trip – no smile, no wave, no voice mail, nothing.

She watched the clock that morning, knowing what time his flight was due to leave. When the clocked clicked over to 10:15, her heart felt like it broke. With each turn the clock made, the pain got worse and worse and she knew why. She had known it when he kissed her – hell, she was pretty sure she had known it long before then, but she finally gave into it that night when she ran her fingers through his hair, pulling him closer.

The feelings overpowered her and she bolted, spending the rest of the night drunk at the makeshift bar till Angela finally took her home. And, that was it. Roy wasn’t there when she got home, but she could have cared less. She had vivid dreams about Jim and that kiss that night and she knew when she woke up the next morning that she couldn’t marry him.

They parted as amicably as they could. Pam tried to tell Jim, but struggled to find the words, not that she had much of a chance to talk to him. He would leave the room as she entered. She would come back from her break or the bathroom to find that the jellybeans on her desk had been raided, but he never bothered to look at her. The day he left was the day she made the official announcement that the wedding was off. She never told anyone exactly why, but she was sure that most of them knew.

She looked him up and down, keeping the tears at bay. This was the first time she had seen him in over two weeks and it felt like heaven.

“Are you alright?” she managed to choke out.

“Fine. It’s just sprained” he said coldly, looking over her head, across the room, at Ryan and Kelly, anywhere but at her. Pam looked down at her shoes, scuffing the right toe across the line in the floor.

“What are you doing here?” he asked. She looked up at him. “Kelly called and told me that you were…” she swallowed her tears as best she could. “She said that there had been an accident and I just thought that…”

“Oh” he said, looking down at his cast.

“I just wanted to make sure you were alright” she said as quickly as she could, before she lost her nerve.

“Ok then” he said, sighing.

“Jim, you want a ride?” They both looked over at Kelly, who was holding up her keys.

“Yeah, I guess I kind of do.” Jim pushed forward a little when Pam jumped in front of the three of them.

“There’s not room in your car of Jim and…. I’ll take him.”

“Pam, you don’t have to” he said roughly. She looked up at him, her eyes bright. “I want to. Please, Jim.” He looked down and just nodded. “Fine, whatever. Let’s just go.”

TBC
Chapter 3 by agd300
The police had brought the bags from Ryan’s car to the hospital and left them at admitting. Pam carried his bags as he hobbled across the parking lot in front of her. He didn’t look back at her. He didn’t even try to talk to her. She sniffled to herself and trudged on.

She knew he was hurt – he had every right to be. He didn’t know because she had been too chicken shit to tell him, to force him to face her and what she needed to tell him. Now, here he was and her voice was trapped her in throat.

She unlocked the car and dropped his bags in her trunk. She watched him slowly work his way into the car and pull the crutches over his body and into the back seat. She slowly shut his door and circled the car, getting into the driver seat.

She turned the key in the ignition was about to pull out of the parking spot when he finally broke his silence.

“I’ve got a problem.”

She turned to him, but he wasn’t looking at her. He stared out the front window, but at least he was speaking. It was a start.

“What’s that?”

“I can’t go home.”

“Why not?”

“Well, a couple of reasons. One – too many steps, up to the house, up to my bedroom. I’ll never make it. Two – the doctor said that someone should keep an eye on me, what with the pills he gave me and my ankle, just to be sure it’s a sprain and Mark’s out of town.”

She didn’t even hesitate. “You can stay with me.”

He shook his head. “I don’t think that’s such a good idea, Pam.” He said her name for the first time in a long time. He didn’t say it with a smile or a smirk on his face, but he said her name and her heart started to pound in her chest.

“Jim, it’s fine, really. I insist.”

“I don’t think so” he said, crossing his arms over his chest, lolling his head to the side as he looked out the window.

“Roy moved out” she said, staring at him intently.

“I know” he said, never once looking over at her. “Ryan called me that morning that you…”

She just nodded, swallowing her tears. He was madder than she thought he would be, not that she blamed him. He knew, yet he still went on with his life. Why did she expect anything different? She didn’t deserve his loyalty or even his compassion after she had run out on him without as much as a word.

“Jim, where are you going to go? Dwight’s? Michael’s?”

He sighed, leaning his back against the seat, closing his eyes. She watched him thinking. She found the sight of him peaceful. Her eyes scanned his face and his neck. She watched as the muscles contracted as he tried to figure anything else out in his head, but she knew that she was right.

He finally opened his eyes and dropped his head. “Fine, but it’s just for tonight.” He still hadn’t looked at her, but she had tonight to try to right things. ‘This may be your last chance, Beesly’ she thought to herself as she backed the car out of the parking spot.
Chapter 4 by agd300
Author's Notes:
Sorry it took so long. Real life got in the way and I took a couple days off. Here's the next chapter!
His eyebrows shot up as he hobbled through the front door. He wasn’t sure if he was expecting some kind of half empty apartment shrine to the life they had shared together or what, but this… this he wasn’t expecting.

“Looks like you’ve been hard at work” he said as he pushed through the front door. He had only been to this apartment a handful of times, but he remembered thinking that it looked like a frat house and not a place a committed couple shared with each other. The walls had been stark white, electronic equipment scattered all over the place, old ratty furniture thrown around the room.

But this place… she had worked to make it her own and she had succeeded. The walls were a warm brown. “New couch?” he asked, nodding his head toward the maroon colored sofa.

Pam shook her head. “No, mom just helped me slip cover the old one. Roy… well, he moved in with his brother and all he really cared about was the TV, the stereo and the Xbox so he left everything else.” Jim just nodded. He shuffled further into the living room. He could see into the kitchen and noted that it was spotless – dishes were put away and she had taken the time to stencil around the chair rail.

She leaned against the wall and watched him for a moment. She swallowed slowly and looked down at her shoes. “Listen, Jim, I think we need…”

“I’m tired” he said loudly, yelling, it seemed, to drown her out. Her head shot up and she looked at him. He was staring at the ceiling. She just sighed and nodded.

“Yeah, of course you are. Come on.” She grabbed his bag off the floor and led him down the small hall. She pushed the door open and dropped his bag next to the small easel set up in the corner with a half painted picture on it. She turned to the closet and pulled out another blanket. “Just in case” she said, dropping it on the foot of the bed. Jim just nodded.

“Look, Jim, if you need anything…”

He dropped onto the bed, his back to her. “I just need some sleep. Long day and pain meds and jet lag and everything.”

“OK” she said quietly, heading out of the room. “I’ll be out here if…”

“Yeah” he said, still not looking at her. She closed the door slowly and leaned against it. This was going to be a lot harder than she thought.

TBC…
Chapter 5 by agd300
She did her best to keep busy, to keep her mind off of him for the time being. She knew that he needed some rest, to get back on to their time zone, but she wanted nothing more than to go into that room and make him talk to her.

She finished her cleaning. She read her magazine and her book. She surfed the internet until she couldn’t stand it anymore. She even started to cook dinner, hoping that he would at least eat with her. As she took her time preparing the homemade sauce for the pasta, she hoped that he would appreciate her thoughtfulness and thaw just a little bit.

She glanced up at the clock on the wall – he had been asleep from almost 5 hours. She ran her hands down her pants and walked down the hall, stopping in front of the closed door. She knocked lightly and waited.

“Yeah” she heard from the other side of the door. She slowly opened the door, taking a step into the room.

He was stretched out on the bed in a pair of track pants and a white t-shirt. His hair was more tousled than usual and he looked scrumptious. She shook her head and smiled at him.

“I didn’t wake you did I?”

Jim pushed himself up on his elbows and shook his head. “Nah. I was in and out for the last few hours anyway.”

“Oh, ok then.” She just stared at him. “Um… if you’re hungry, I made some food, so I thought that…”

“Food sounds pretty good” he said, pushing himself to the end of the bed. They both had forgotten about his ankle. Jim put his feet on the floor and stood up, immediately yelping in pain. Pam shot toward him as he started to fall, wrapping her arms around his waist. He instinctively wrapped his arms around her to keep his balance. When they were steadied, she looked up at him.

He was right there, millimeters from her, looking back at her. They hadn’t been this close to each other since the casino night. His warmth radiated through her shirt, making her heart flutter and her stomach drop. She knew that her cheeks were flushed, but she didn’t care. She could only stare as his eyes flicked from hers to her lips and back.

“Forgot about your foot?” she asked, adjusting in his arms slightly to take more of his weight. He just nodded.

She smiled up at him. “Unless, of course, this was just a ploy to get me…” And, in that instant, it was like someone had dumped a large bucket of ice cold water over him. He pushed her back and fell back on the bed.

“Fuck” he said quietly, dropping his head into his hands. Pam just stood there, wide eyed, staring at him. “Jim, what…”

“I knew this was a bad idea” he said out loud, staring at the floor.

She took a step toward him. “What?”

His head shot up to her and Pam was shocked. She had never seen that look on his face before – a mixture of anger, disappointment and frustration. “Coming here. I should have just gone home and dealt with it, but no! I had to…” His head dropped again and he sighed. Pam took another step toward him. “Jim, please just talk to me” she said, putting her hand on his shoulder.

Jim jumped and pulled away from her. “Please don’t touch me.”

Pam recoiled. He had never said that to her before. “What?” she breathed out.

“I said don’t touch me. If you touch me then I can’t…”

“Can’t what?” she asked.

His head snapped up, face bright red. “I can’t be MAD AT YOU” he screamed. “And that’s what I want. I want to be mad at you, to think the worst about you, to hate you because that’s the only way I’m going to move on. That’s the promise I made to myself during my trip – I’m getting over you. No more chasing after something that’s not meant to be. No more making a fool out of myself. No more watching from the sidelines. If I can’t be in the game, then I give up. NO MORE!!” He stared at her, breathing heavily.

She couldn’t do anything but stand there, reeling from the revelation. She had always thought that, no matter what, Jim would always be there. To hear him say that he was planning on moving on, planning on forgetting about her and them - broke her heart. She shook her head, committing herself to keeping that from happening. She watched as he dug his cell phone out of the pants on the floor and flipping it open.

“What are you doing?”

“Calling a cab. I’m not staying here anymore.” Pam squared her shoulders and crossed to him. She ripped the cell phone out of his hands and threw it out into the hallway.

Jim dropped his head. “I want to leave, Pam.”

Pam put her hands on his face and yanked his head up so that he had no choice but to look at her. “Not until I’m finished” she said defiantly.

TBC
Chapter 6 by agd300
“Let me go, Pam.” He tried to shake his head free from her hands, but she kept a light grip on his face.

“No.”

“Pam… I just... I can’t do this, I just can’t.”

“Can’t isn’t a good reason.”

His eyes shot up to hers. “That’s hilarious, coming from you of all people.”

She finally dropped her hands, but she didn’t move away from him. “What the hell does that mean?”

Jim leaned back on his hands, staring up at her. “It means that can’t is perfectly acceptable when you say it and run away, but it’s just a crock of shit when I say it, huh. Nice double standard you’ve got going on there, Beesly.”

Pam crossed her arms over her chest. “I’m not going to let you do this.”

He cocked his eyebrows at her. “Do what?” he spit out at her.

“You’re trying to piss me off. You’re trying to make me believe that you actually hate me so that I will just let you leave, so that I’ll leave you alone so that you don’t ever have to deal with this again” she said, waving her hand back and forth between the two of them.

“I’m not doing this” he said defiantly.

“Fine, but you sure as hell are going to sit there and listen to what I have to say.”

“And what if I could care less about what you have to say?”

Her eyes ran over his face, searching his eyes. “That’s not true, so I’m not worried about that” she said quietly, staring at him. Jim swallowed slowly and darted his eyes around the room. He had never been a good liar, good at hiding how he was feeling, especially when it came to her. His mother had always said that someone could just look at him and know what he was thinking and feeling. His eyes finally landed back on hers and he sighed. “Whatever.”

Pam squared her shoulders, ignoring his tone. “I’ve been thinking a lot… a lot a lot… about my life and love and… everything I guess. I quickly realized that I couldn’t marry Roy. He just… we grew apart.” Jim snorted. “What?” she spit out at him.

“No kidding… you grew apart. That’s actually funny since what he did was to keep you from growing.”

“Why are being such an asshole to me right now? I’m trying to be honest with you about…”

“Pam, I’ve earned the right to be an asshole if I want to.”

“That’s real mature Jim. Why are you being like this?”

“BECAUSE I’M HURT” he screamed. “I’m hurt, I’m heart broken and…”

“Heart broken?” she asked, shuffling a little bit closer to him.

He glared at her. “Don’t start acting naïve, not now, Pam. Don’t act shocked that I’m saying that. I can’t take it.”

She swallowed and stared at the floor. “I know, Jim, but it’s just…”

“What?” Pam just stood there, fiddling with her fingers, staring at the floor. “Damn it, Pam, tell me right now. You owe me that much!”

“Forget it” she said, slumping her shoulders.

“You know what… fine.” She looked up as he started to move away from her. ‘STOP HIM’ her mind screamed at her. As he started to swing his legs around her to get off the bed, she plopped down on his lap, straddling him. He froze, gawking at her.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” he asked, not moving at all.

Pam looked down at their position and then back up at him. “I don’t know. I’m desperate.”

He sighed. “Desperate for what?”

Pam nodded. ‘It’s now or never, Pam’ she thought to herself. “For you.”

Jim closed his eyes. “Pam, please don’t…”

“Don’t what… be honest? I spent so long lying to myself that it finally feels good to be honest. Jim, you need to know that…”

Jim closed his eyes and started shaking his head. “No. I can’t do this. Get off me.” He tried to pull his legs out from underneath her, but she pinned him down.

“No.”

“Pam, get off me!”

“NO!” she screamed at him.

“YES!” he yelled back. He opened his eyes to see her gazing at him wildly. She grabbed his t-shirt in her fists and dragged him up to her, pulling his chest flush with hers. He instinctively wrapped one arm around her waist and rested the other on the bed next to him. He cursed himself for doing it, but he didn’t move. He could feel his resolve slowly starting to crumble, so he closed his eyes. “Pam, I can’t…”

He felt her shift and place her hands on his face. “You don’t have to do anything but listen to me.” He opened his eyes and found her hovering above him slightly, pushed up on her knees. He stared up at her. “What?” he whispered.

“You have my heart, Jim Halpert. You always have. It took me so long to realize it. I tried to hide it, to pretend for so long, but you were always there, in my thoughts, even some of my dreams.” Jim’s eyebrows shot up into this hairline and she smiled slightly. “I knew that if I ever let myself admit that this was real that everyone would know it just by looking at me. I never thought I was good enough for you Jim, not once. I’m just some lowly receptionist. You’re smart and funny and caring and unbelievably good looking… like so gorgeous that it’s sometimes hard to take my eyes off of you. You are every girl’s ‘who would you do’. Just that fact that I thought you wanted me was hard to fathom. All I’ve been able to think about for weeks was that kiss and that stupid, stupid thing I did by running away from you. I knew that I had… things to take care of and that if I had stayed there with you, if I had let you kiss me again, that…”

“What?” He was hypnotized by her. He could feel her invading all of his senses. His anger started to melt away as he listened to her talk about him, about what she thought about him. It was captivating.

She locked eyes with him, gently running her right hand back into his hair. “I would have cheated on Roy and I refuse to be that girl.” Jim froze, the full weight of her words hitting him like a mack truck.

“Pam, I would have never…”

“But I would have. I had been on the line for weeks, probably since the Booze Cruise. Being that close to you… hell, being this close to you… I knew that once I got there, it would be… hard to leave behind. So, I left.”

“Why didn’t you call me after you called off the wedding? Why didn’t you say something before I left?”

“I had been with Roy for so long that… and he pursued me, why I’m not sure, but he did. I’ve never had to chase someone down. I’ve never been that bold.”

And for the first time that day, Jim smiled at her. He tightened his arm around her, pulling her closer. “So, what do you call this?” he asked, looking up at her.

“Breaking out of my shell” she breathed out as she pulled his face to her, kissing him.

TBC
Chapter 7 by agd300

Sorry it took so long - I didn't forget about it, just had some writer's block.  Went ahead and finished it up in this chapter.  Thanks for reading!!


 

They fell back on the bed, kissing each other passionately.  Jim rolled them over and slowed down, memorizing her mouth, memorizing the way her lips moved against this, the way she ran her fingers through his hair over and over again.  He groaned loudly as she shifted beneath him.

 

He pulled back and looked at her – her swollen lips, her flushed cheeks, her bright eyes – and he knew, he knew he couldn’t stay mad at her.  There was no moving on from this – not ever.  He had been fooling himself that an Australian vacation and a new job would erase this feeling from his heart.

 

Pam pushed herself up.  She looked into his eyes and smiled.  “Jim… please” she breathed out.  He couldn’t have stopped himself, even if he had wanted to. 

 

He wrapped his arm around her waist and kissed her again.  They rolled over and Pam sat up, straddling him.  He pushed himself up, much like they had been a few minutes ago, but there was no yelling this time.  The last thing he wanted was for Pam to get off him.  Pam smiled shyly at him and cocked an eyebrow.  Before he knew what was happening, she grabbed the bottom of his t-shirt and yanked it up over his head.  She tossed it over her shoulder and ran her hands over his chest.  He swallowed the lump that had formed in his throat.  She slowly kissed her way down his neck.  She nipped at his shoulders and his collar bone while she lightly ran her fingernails along his back. 

 

She needed contact with him.  She had been right – once she got this close to him, it was over.  She needed him – every part of her needed him.  She pushed on his chest lightly, causing him to lean back.  She took a deep breath and locked eyes with him and quickly pulled her shirt over her head. 

 

He quit breathing as he stared at her, sitting there in her bra, on his lap.  He let out the breath he had been holding and smiled at her.  “I love you” he said quietly.

 

She smiled back at him and leaned him, kissing him lightly.  But, as their skin connected, a fire ignited inside of both of them.  They had to touch each other.  Jim placed hot kisses down her neck and across the top of her breasts.  She mewed quietly, throwing her head back.  In one swift movement, he reached around and unhooked the clasp, yanking it off of her and throwing it over his shoulder. 

 

Pam ran her fingers through his hair as he kissed her breasts slowly and exquisitely.  She could feel the passion building deep within her and she cried out as he pulled her nipple into his mouth, his hand splayed against her back, holding her against him.

 

He ran his tongue back and forth until she was panting and then he moved to the other breast.  She was crying loudly as he worked her over.

 

She yanked his head back and looked at him.  The way she was looking at him was something that he had only seen in his dreams.  He moaned as she ground her hips against him. 

 

“Right now Jim.”  She didn’t need to say anything else.  He fell back on the bed, pulling her with him, rolling them over.  She hooked her fingers on the top of his track pants and pushed them – and his boxers – over his lean hips.  He wriggled out of them and deftly unbuttoned her jeans.  He tried to push himself up to pull them off her, but winced – he had forgotten about his leg.

 

“Shit” he said.  Pam pushed herself up and looked down at his leg.  She put her hand on his cheek.  “Are you alright?”

 

He smiled at her.  “I’m fine, but I’m not sure…”

 

She smirked at him and pushed his shoulder, forcing him to turn over on his back.  She slid off the bed and slowly stepped out of her clothes, standing in front of him.

 

She was never this bold.  With Roy, she usually got undressed under the covers.  But here, with Jim, she felt bold and… sexy.  She let him run his eyes up and down her body as she stood there, watching him.

 

“Come here.  Right. Now.”  He was forceful with his words and Pam shuddered.  She put her hands on the end of the bed and crawled up him slowly, never breaking eye contact with Jim. 

 

They were lost to each other.  Jim had ignited a fire inside of her – it was something that she had never felt before.  He seemed to know exactly where to kiss her, exactly where to put his lips and his fingers to make her crazy.

 

“Please Jim… I need… I need you” she whispered in his ear, lightly sucking his earlobe into her mouth.  They had worked their way up the bed.  Jim’s back was against the headboard.  Pam crawled up him and grabbed the headboard as he grabbed her hips.  She cried out his name as he pulled her hips down onto his, entering her.  They froze for a moment, looking at each, realizing that this was more than sex.  This was the beginning of forever with the two of them. 

 

Pam ground her hips against him and all coherent thought left his head.  He loved making her skin flush as he shifted and hit the right spot.  Pam threw her head back and cried his name out over and over again. 

 

Jim could feel himself starting to climax and he wanted them to go at the same time, to be there with each other.  He pushed himself up, sucking her breast into his mouth.  Pam dropped her head onto his shoulder and screamed his name so loud, he was convinced that the neighbors had heard it, not that he cared.  He pumped up into her three more times before he followed suit, yelling her name in response. 

 

They held onto each other tightly, breathing heavily.  As they started to subside, Jim inhaled deeply and froze. 

 

“Pam?”

 

“Yeah” she sighed into his ear.

 

“What smells like burnt tomatoes?”  She pulled back quickly with wide eyes.  “Shit!” she screamed, jumping off of him.  Pam grabbed the first thing she could find – Jim’s t-shirt – and ran into the kitchen.

 

+++

 

Jim slowly opened his eyes, taking in his surroundings and he smiled.  He looked at the empty platter sitting on the bedside table and he chuckled.  After Pam had bolted, Jim had grabbed his pants off the floor and limped out to the kitchen to find Pam standing over the stove, stirring a pot.

“I completely forgot about the food.” 

He smirked at her, leaning against the wall.  “Well, I knew I was good, but… thanks!” 

She smiled back at him as she pulled the spoon out of the sauce, tasting it.  Jim watched her as she closed her eyes and slid the spoon into her mouth.  She opened her eyes, grinning at him. 

“Not the best, but it’s edible.”  She started to walk toward him.  “Sit down at the table.  I’ll be right back.” 

He grabbed her around the waist as she tried to walk past him and pulled her back to him.  “Where are you going?” 

“Well, I feel that I should at least have underwear on while we eat dinner.” 

"Unless we have dinner in bed.” 

He didn’t have to do much convincing.  Pam dug out an old platter and dumped the pasta and sauce on it.  Within 15 minutes, they were back in bed – granted, this time they were in Pam’s room with the much more comfortable queen size mattress and television.  Jim’s only rule that food in bed must be eaten naked and Pam obliged – she pulled the shirt over her head and dropped it on the floor of the kitchen as she grabbed the platter and walked down the hallway.

 

Jim turned over and smiled at her sleeping form.  They had stayed up late – eating food, watching bad television and having sex more times than either had thought possible.  He ran his hand over her head and kissed her lightly on the temple. 

 

He really wanted to stay in bed with her, but he figured that he should at least brush his teeth for her.  He swung his legs out of the bed and slowly pushed himself up – and, for the third time since yesterday afternoon, he had forgotten about his leg.

 

“SON OF A BITCH” he screamed as he hit the floor.  Pam shot up and looked over at him, sitting on the floor.

 

Pam giggled and leaned over the bed, hanging her head off the mattress.

 

“You need me to stick a post-it note on that thing or something.”

 

“Shut up Beesley.”

 

Pam laughed and grabbed his arm, helping him back into bed.  “What were you doing?” she asked as she kissed him lightly up his chest and neck.

 

“I was going to brush my teeth.”

 

“Later” she growled out, pulling him down on top of her.

 THE END
This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=166