More Than Ready by BeckySue
Summary:

Jim asks Pam out after his return from NYC. Will it be the perfect first date or will their nerves get the best of them?


Categories: Jim and Pam, Episode Related Characters: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: Yes Word count: 19498 Read: 48970 Published: May 24, 2007 Updated: June 13, 2007
Story Notes:

I just had to write a Post Job fanfic. No other excuse why I wrote it except, "Everyone is doing it, Mom!"

I actually put some of my other stories on hold to get this one out to the public. It's just a little diddy/my take on the date and their first shot at a relationship.

Many thanks to WildBerryJam for the wonderful ideas, beta job, and energetic emials! Thanks so much for the help!

Oh, I don't 'em...I just like to pretend I do. No copyright infringement here.

1. One Word by BeckySue

2. The Sun Will Set For You by BeckySue

3. Two Words by BeckySue

4. It's Not Over by BeckySue

5. Train Wreck by BeckySue

6. The Nearness of You by BeckySue

7. Come Away with Me by BeckySue

8. A Beautiful Occupation by BeckySue

9. Three Words by BeckySue

One Word by BeckySue
Author's Notes:

First chapter takes place directly after Jim's return from NYC in The Job. This was written to project the awkward feeling and nervousness of it all.

Title taken from Elliott Yamin's song, "One Word."

Pam stood slowly from her seat in the conference room. She pushed the wrinkles out of her skirt with her hands before turning to the door a mere four feet away from her. She couldn’t stop replaying the past five minutes over in her head.

He entered the room and startled her from her interview.

“Pam!”

His voice sent chills through her when he threw open the door, but what really made her shiver was the determined look on his face. Gah, he looked good.

He apologized to the camera crew and turned to her again. “Are you free for dinner tonight?”

It was out of her mouth without a single thought. “Yes.”

A smile crept up on his lips and his fingers lightly tapped against the window. “Alright. Then, it’s a date.”

That’s the moment she lost it. Her mind stopped functioning normally as he shut the door. She didn’t even finish her interview, she just sat there smiling radiantly.

Now, she had to face him. Pam wasn’t sure why she was nervous. She was more excited than nervous, but was still a little nervous to look at him with her gleaming grin. Don’t seem too eager Pam, she told herself.

She took a deep breath, grabbed the door handle, turned it slowly, and opened the door. When she stepped out of the conference room, with her eyes on her feet, she made her way to the reception desk. She knew he was sitting at his desk, probably watching her out of the corner of his eye as he stared at the papers in front of him.

Once she was safely protected by her reception fortress, she let out a grin that could cover the expanse of the universe. There was no hiding that she was happy and beaming from ear to ear. Pam tried to cover her giddiness by busying herself with paperwork, but failed. Every thought went to his unexpected entrance and the question that shook her world.

How does he always do that, she thought. Even a year ago, he walked in through the office door, directed his steps towards her, placed his lips on hers, and shook her entire being. Her smile widened as she thought of that night.

Her peripheral vision caught him sit up slightly and turn in his chair. He didn’t make eye contact but she knew he was looking at her with his side glance. His attention to her was deflected as Dwight came over to him and started to interrogate.

“What are you doing, Jim?”

“I’m working. What are you doing, Dwight?” Jim asked, mockingly.

“I’m wondering why you’re here. Did you not get the job that you’re obviously under qualified for?” Dwight said, crossing his arms over his chest as he sat down in his chair across from Jim.

Jim sighed. “No. They said I was perfect for the position, actually. But, I found out that it was a scam. You know, Dunder Mifflin is apparently into insider trading,” Jim said, as Dwight leaned forward to listen closer. “They offered me the job as the inside man. I would have been handling all the numbers and stock issues. I declined because I’m just not into that sort of thing, you know?”

Dwight whispered across the desk to Jim. “Corporate is using insider trading? For what purpose?”

Jim followed suit and whisper back. “Same reason as Martha Stewart……fame.”

“Fame?” Dwight asked. “That’s just….”

“Genius,” Jim finished, leaning back in his chair, and twirling a pencil in his right hand. Pam gazed over the reception desk as he kept picking on Dwight. She giggled several times before returning to her job of looking busy.

“Seriously?” Dwight asked with a chuckle.

“Seriously. It’s the perfect attention grabber for the media. Dunder Mifflin gets noticed because of insider trading, corporate gets canned, we’re left to fend for ourselves, and the real story gets covered up.”

“What’s the real story?” Dwight asked, leaning even closer over his desk.

“The cutting down of innocent trees to make our paper products,” Jim said, nodding.

“Our paper is 100% recycled. That’s just ridiculous…”

“That’s what they want you to think!” Jim snapped, leaning in to his desk.

“You’re wrong. You don’t know what you’re talking about,” Dwight stated.

“Fine. When this company goes down, you’ll lose your job and I’ll be on Dateline giving my first hand account of what I witnessed. I’ll be seen as a hero. What about you?”

“I’ll be a hero too, Jim. I’ll go to the media way before this even leaks out,” Dwight snapped, standing and briskly walking to Michael’s open office door. Jim nodded in satisfaction as Phyllis turned in her chair and looked at him.

“What’s the real reason you’re back, Jim? Didn't you get the job?” she asked, pushing up her glasses.

Jim looked straight at her, didn’t miss a beat, and replied, “I figured since the last time I left Scranton, I somehow made my way back here. What’s the point in doing it again?”

“Good to hear that you’re staying for good,” Phyllis said, grinning.

“Thanks, Phyllis. It’s good to be back,” he said, smiling.

As Phyllis turned to get back to her work, she threw a glance at Pam who was gazing in Jim’s general direction. Pam averted her eyes before Jim got out of his chair and walked to the reception desk. He placed his hands on the dark surface and waited for a response from Pam.

“So….” he said, looking anywhere but Pam’s face.

“You’re back?” she asked, still staring at her computer monitor.

“I sure hope so.”

“Good,” she said, smiling and looking into his eyes for the first time since their exchange in the conference room.

“I found your note,” he said, cocking his head to the side.

“Oh,” she replied.

“And, the yogurt lid.”

“…gold medal,” she said, looking up through her eyelashes.

“That’s what I meant…gold medal. It threw me off. You know, without the paper clips and all,” he said, smiling down at her.

“So….” she said, infectiously smiling back at him.

“Tonight….”

“Yeah…” she said, nervously tucking a piece of hair behind her ear.

Jim shifted at the counter. “What’s you’re idea of the perfect date?”

She smiled. “Nowhere near a hockey rink.”

Jim chuckled. “Darn. I’ll mark that one off my list.”

“You know what? Let’s not overdo this. Let’s just go right after work, grab a bite, and hang out. You okay with that?”

“That sounds perfect,” he said, a sigh of relief escaping his lips. He glanced at his watch and made a face. Pam furrowed her brow in wonderment.

“What?”

“I’ll pick you up in thirty minutes then. Right….there,” Jim said, pointing at the coat rack next to Pam’s desk.

Pam giggled. “The coat rack? Oh, I’ll be there.”

“You don’t need directions do you? ‘Cause I can’t stand it when my dates are late,” he said, rolling his eyes.

“No, I think I can find my way to the coat rack at five. Thanks, though,” she said, slightly chuckling.

“Just makin’ sure,” he said, smiling and heading back to his desk.

Pam giggled again and then tried to find something to do to kill the time. People started filing out of the office and exactly at five, she stood, grabbed her purse, and lingered next to the coat rack.

Jim walked over with his coat in hand, his bag slung over his shoulder, and a smile tempting at his lips. He stopped at the coat rack, looked around for a moment, and then looked directly at Pam.

“You must be Pam,” he said, pointing a finger in her direction. “My date, right?”

Pam nodded. “And you must be James Halpert,” she said, sarcasitcally.

“No. Jim. It’s Jim,” he said, with a coy smile as he placed his hand on his chest.

“Oh. Sorry, Jim,” she said, adjusting her purse strap on her shoulder.

After they laughed off their little banter, Jim sighed, looked down into her eyes, smiled, and asked, “Ready?”

She nodded at that simple one word she hadn’t heard in almost a year from him. Indeed, she had been ready for this for a very long time.

 

End Notes:
Thoughts? Comments? Reviews? Let me know what you think! More on the way if it has a good response.
The Sun Will Set For You by BeckySue
Author's Notes:

Title taken from Linkin Park's "Shadow of the Day" lyrics.

So, here is numero dos. I had a really hard time figuring this chapter out but mainly because I was nervous it wouldn't live up to the first chapter. But, just bear with me, it will continue in a few more chapters.

 

The elevator ride had been silent with only the occasional glance and squeak from the elevator itself. There was an uneasiness that filled the tiny cramped space and once the doors slid open, both Jim and Pam started breathing again.

“Wow,” Jim said, holding open the front door for Pam.

She smiled as she passed him. “Is this awkward?” she asked, looking up at him as they walked to his car.

“Um, kinda,” he replied, digging his keys from his pocket.

“I’m sorry. I’m just…”

“What?” he asked, unlocking the passenger side door.

“…just a little nervous.”

“Good.“ he said, as Pam gave a look of confusion. He continued, “Me too.”

“Really? You don’t look nervous,” she said, stepping towards the car.

“Oh yeah. I’m shaking in my boots right now. Can’t you tell?”

“Not at all. I didn’t even realize you were wearing boots,” Pam deadpanned as she looked down at his feet.

Jim chuckled. “Well, I thought it’d be better to wear the boots instead of the high heels. You know, mix it up a bit.”

Pam smiled as she reached for the door handle of the car. As she did, Jim apparently had the same thought. He reached for the handle, pulled the car door open, and noticed Pam stumbling towards him with the door.

“What are you doing?” he asked, with a curious grin on his face.

Pam stopped and looked towards the door. Her hand was under his on the door handle. “You’ve got me pinned.”

Jim looked at the door handle and retracted his hand quickly. “Whoops,” he said, lifting his brow.

Pam shook her head as she sat down into the car. Her smile widened after he shut her door and jogged around the car to get in.

Before putting the car into gear, he rested his hands in his lap, sighed, and looked over to Pam. “So, where to first?”

“Um, you asked me out on the date. Don’t you have a plan?”

“Well, I would normally take you to a fancy restaurant or out to a movie or something generic like that but, I figured since you didn‘t want to overdo it tonight, that you had other things in mind.”

“I don’t,” she said, shaking her head and giggling. “But, you did mention dinner before, so…”

Nodding jokingly, Jim replied, “Great.” He chuckled as he lifted his hands from his lap and put the car in reverse. He rested his hand on the headrest of Pam’s seat as he turned to look behind him.

Pam darted her eyes over to where his warm hand rested next to her cheek. She caught the look on his face and smiled to herself. He was diligently checking his mirrors, and then turned to look over his right shoulder again to back up. As he did, Pam noted the way he kept his lips in a straight thin line when he squinted to see behind the car.

Once they were on the highway, Jim broke the silence between them. “So, what did you decide?”

“Oh, I was supposed to decide on something?” she asked, jokingly.

“Yeah, because I have something in mind that you’re probably not going to enjoy.”

Pam looked over at Jim as he changed lanes. “What did you have in mind?”

“Nah. I’ll keep it to myself.”

“Where?” she asked again.

Jim smiled. “Um…Chili’s?”

Pam laughed and placed a hand over her mouth. “Are you kidding me? I have one too many memories in that Chili’s. Also, I think I’m still not allowed in.”

She knew she was getting out of control. She knew she needed to stop sipping off of other peoples drinks but for some reason, she didn’t care. She just wanted to stop thinking for one night. And, in that one moment of not using her brain, she had placed her lips on his. She knew what she had done but didn’t regret it. After all, she told herself she was drunk.

“Good point,” Jim remarked, nodding.

“That would be hilarious though,” she said, smiling and seriously thinking about his offer. “Why not? Let’s go.”

“Are you sure? I mean, they may not let you in, you know, since you caused that huge scene after you fell off of the barstool.”

She was sitting at the bar next to him giggling and thoroughly enjoying the night until she felt the dizziness hit her. He had glanced at her and then looked back over to the camera and the next thing she remembered, was him looking down at her with a half smile on his face and concern in his eyes.

Pam held out her hands. “Hey, it wasn’t my fault Dwight exposed himself to all the patrons eating that night!”

Jim shivered in disgust. “Ugh. Don’t remind me!” he said as Pam giggled.

“No seriously,” she straightened up, “Let’s go there.”

“Okay, but if there are posters of your face plastered everywhere, I don’t know you.”

“That’s perfectly understandable.”

After they arrived at the infamous Chili’s, they got a table immediately and quietly read over their menus. Every now and then, Pam could feel Jim looking over the top of his menu. She didn’t look up as to not catch him staring at her. For some reason, she liked that he was attentive and intrigued.

Finally, the waitress came to take their orders and rushed off. Jim tapped his fingers lightly on the table as he glanced around the restaurant. He smiled when his gaze went towards Pam.

“So…do you have anything you want to do after our dinner?”

Pam placed her napkin in her lap and folded it neatly. She replied to him while looking at her lap. “Whatever you want to do is fine with me.”

Jim played with the salt shaker in front of him. “Okay.”

Getting tired of the weird atmosphere that they’d created with preconceived notions and fears, Pam decided to deal with the awkward mood in the air.

“So, what’s something that happened while you were away? We need to catch up,” she said, flicking the salt shaker with her finger.

Jim looked up as the salt shaker fell out of his grasp and spilt on the table. “That’s not good, Pam. Look what you’ve done. It’s bad luck.”

“Nah, that’s not bad luck. That’s just salt,” she said, grinning

“Touché. Okay….something I haven’t filled you in on,” he said, tapping a finger to his chin. “Um, in Stamford, I once spent a whole day looking for a bag of chips. Oh, and another day we played video games for team-building exercises. And, I think I killed more of my own men than I did the opposing team.”

“Wow. So, pretty much the same productivity you’d get here.”

“Exactly,” he said. “What about you? What’s something that I missed out on?”

Pam fiddled with her napkin on her lap again. “Um, I promised Michael that I’d have a child with him if we were both single in thirty years.”

“That’s just not right, Pam,” Jim said, shaking his head.

“Trust me, I’ll be unable to have children in thirty years. If not, I’ll lie.”

Jim chuckled. Pam continued, “I went out on a blind date a long time ago.”

“I know,” he said, running finger over the grooves in the table. Pam was taken aback. How did he know? She hadn’t told him.

“I found out from Michael at that paper convention a few months back. How did that go?“ he asked, quietly.

Pam wasn’t sure if Jim was hurt that she mentioned that date or not. He was certainly acting defensively about it.

“Oh, the guy was totally wrong for me. He could’ve easily been Andy or Dwight’s distant cousin.”

“Really?” Jim asked, a light sparking in his eyes.

“Oh yeah. He drew on his napkin the whole night, blatantly stared down my shirt and treated me like I didn’t know what I was talking about.”

“What did you talk about?”

“Art, mostly. Well, he talked about his cartoons, I talked about art.”

“Two completely different things,” he said as they both nodded.

Jim fell silent again as he started towards the table top. Pam knew bringing up their past probably wasn’t the best conversation to be having at the dinner table. To ease the newly acquired tension that filled the booth, she just needed to be honest again.

“Hey, I just wanted to apologize.”

Jim quickly looked up. “What for?”

“Just…you know, everything.”

“Why? You haven’t done anything.”

“I know. That’s what I’m apologizing for. I didn’t exactly contact you after I called off the wedding. I didn’t make any attempt to track you down. I thought about it but…I just…couldn’t.”

“Yeah. Me either.”

“And, I think I would just like to kinda clear the air. I mean, we can’t move on if we’re constantly doubting, right?

“Yeah,” Jim said, with a smile tempting at his lips.

“So….”

Luckily, the waitress had brought out their food before Pam could get too deep into a conversation she’d never thought she’d have in a Chili’s.

Before the waitress left their table, Jim asked the waitress, “Do you recognize this woman?” as he pointed at Pam. The waitress looked and shook her head. Jim glanced at Pam as he smiled. “Okay, I was just wondering,” he said.

After the waitress was out of ear shot, Pam leaned forward over her food. “What was that for?”

“Just making sure those wanted posters weren’t still hanging in the kitchen.”

They both chuckled. “So…you better hurry up and eat,” Jim suggested.

“Why?”

“I just thought of something we can do but we gotta hurry.”

“Why?” she asked again.

“It’s almost sunset,” Jim said, cocking his head to the side and smirking.

----

After their dinner at Chili’s, Jim and Pam rushed to Jim’s car.

“What’s the big deal about sunset?”

“You’ll see,” he said, opening the car door for her. “Don’t you trust me?”

“I do,” she said, smiling.

“Good. Now, get in the car,” he said, nodding towards the passenger seat.

The car ride down the highway was almost silent. Pam watched as Jim sped his way to their destination. Pam giggled at how attentive Jim was to the road while he was speeding. Every now and then he would glance over to her and several times he asked if she had her seatbelt on.

“We’re almost there,” Jim said, looking over and smiling in Pam’s direction.

“Almost where?” she asked, coyly.

Jim pursed his lips. “Almost….to the place that I’m taking you.”

“Good answer,” she said, nodding.

Jim then slowly pushed on the brakes and tensed up. He mumbled, “Please don’t turn around” to himself as he checked his mirrors.

“What?” Pam asked, confused.

“Oh no,” Jim said, pressing his breaks harder.

“What’s going on?” Pam asked again, intently looking at the side of Jim’s face.

“Uh…I think we’re gonna miss our sunset,” Jim stated quietly.

“Why?” Pam asked, furrowing her brow.

Pam’s question was quickly answered when an array of red and blue lights filled the inside of Jim’s car.

"That's why," he said, pulling the car over to the shoulder.

 

End Notes:
Thanks for reading and giving this story a chance. Let me know what your thoughts are!
Two Words by BeckySue
Author's Notes:

The story continues. Thanks for sticking with this story and reading. Mucho gracias to WildBerryJam for the beta and the endless emails. Thanks a million to everyone who has read, beta'ed, and commented on this story. Oh, and to those of you who have reviewed....thanks too!

 

“Yes, officer,” Jim said, looking up towards the heavy set officer standing outside the car.

Pam sat quietly as Jim dealt with the officer’s requests for insurance verification and his license. Jim absent mindedly handed her his insurance card along with his license as he paid attention to the officer scolding him about his speeding.

“I will,” Jim said, as the officer handed him the ticket.

Jim watched the officer walk back to his car and sighed when he was back in his car. “Wow,” he sighed.

Pam smirked as she waved his license in the air. “You’re in trouble, James Matthew Halpert.”

“It was all for love’s….sake,” he said, taking his license away from Pam and darting his eyes away from hers at the realization of what he’d just said.

Love’s sake.

“Well, the sunset happened while you were being fined,” Pam said, picking up the ticket off the console, “…one hundred and eighty-seven bucks!”

“Hey, that’s not bad.”

“You’ve had worse?” she asked, amused.

Jim gave her the ‘you’ve caught me’ look. “Um…well, a little bit more than that one.”

“Jim! How many strikes do you have? Am I sitting here with an un-law abiding citizen?”

Un-law abiding? I don’t think that’s a word, Beesly.”

“I‘m pretty sure it is. In this case, at least,” she said, still staring down at the ticket. “I’ve never been pulled over,” she said, quietly.

What? I seriously need to get you out more,” he said, adjusting his seatbelt over his chest. Pam couldn’t help but watch his fingers fiddle with the tangled seatbelt.

“Well, we were going somewhere before sundown, but it looks like we missed it.”

“Oh, we’re still going…it’s just not as pretty without the sunset.”

“I bet it’ll be fine. Now, are you going to start the car up and drive or am I going to have to take over the driving? Apparently you’re not a safe driver.”

“Did it work?” Jim asked, smiling as he turned the key.

Confused, Pam asked, “Did what work?”

“The whole ‘getting pulled over on the first date’ thing? Did it make tonight exciting or what?”

Pam giggled. “Oh, so this is just a ploy? To what? Make me come back for more?”

“Of course!” Jim exclaimed, throwing his hands in the air.

“Well, I have to admit that even if we didn’t get pulled over, I would come back for more,” she said, sheepishly.

Jim smiled. “Good to know,” he said, signaling and easing the car back onto the highway.

---

After another ten minutes of driving, they arrived at their destination. Pam quickly figured out where they were headed once they came upon the familiar landscape of the forested and sandy parking lot.

Lake Scranton Beach.

“The beach?” she asked, as she unbuckled her seatbelt and got out of the car.

“Did you seriously expect anything less?” he sarcastically asked.

She smiled. “This would have been perfect at sundown. But, this time of night is good too,” she said, remembering that fateful night a week ago.

She had just done the coal walk. It was invigorating and refreshing among being excruciating and nerve-wracking at the same time. She did it. But, now it was time to do more than walk over some hot coals. That was the easy part. Now was the time she had to say it. It was now or never.

When she looked him dead in the eyes, she felt like cowering and apologizing for her rude, public declaration, but instead, she sucked it up and held her head high. She wasn’t taking it back…ever.

She stood in the water, feeling the water soothe her scalded feet. Just as she was thinking about what her next move was in the this game of life, she heard his footsteps behind her in the sand. She recognized the way he sauntered over to her and when he spoke, she didn’t jump. For some reason, she expected him to come to her. And, he did.

“I agree,” he said, motioning her towards the sand. “C’mon.”

They walked over to the water’s edge and stood silent for a few moments looking out over the dark water. The moon was peeking out behind some clouds and shining beautifully. So, they just stood there in awe of it.

Now that the evening seemed to be running smoother, they could enjoy the silence. It wasn’t filled with doubtful thoughts and ‘what-if’s’ anymore, it was filled with rightness and perfect bliss. They could enjoy the silence together.

Pam slipped off her shoes and picked them up. Jim kept his gaze out over the crashing waves as she did and when she stood straight again, she knew she had to ask the inevitable.

“Can I ask you a question?”

Jim responded without looking over at her. He just replied with, “Hmm?”

“I know this might sound rude…but I just need to…make sure,” Pam said, tucking a wind blown piece of hair behind her ear. “What happened today? Why are you here and not….there?” With…her?”

Jim sucked in a deep breath. “I guess I didn’t really explain that, did I?”

“No, you forgot to mention that when you asked me out today,” she said, laughing to avoid the tension.

Jim looked over to the water’s edge again. “To be honest, I always knew that New York and I didn’t mesh. I guess I felt the same way about Stamford, too.” Jim turned to face Pam who was tracing in the sand with her toes. “But given last weeks events and Karen’s question about moving to New York with her made me realize that I can’t….ever leave again. I’m still ‘mentally’ unpacking from the last time I left and came back.”

All Pam could do was nod. He was really saying it. He didn’t want to leave Scranton again. Even though the conversation mood had become heavy and serious, Pam felt happiness bubbling inside. No, not just happiness, peace.

Jim continued with a question for Pam. “In ten years, where do you see yourself?”

“What?” Pam asked, looking up.

“Where do you see yourself in ten years? David Wallace asked me that in the interview today. What do you see?” Jim asked, shoving his hands into his pockets.

Pam thought as she stared at Jim’s face. It reminded her of the night on the deck of the booze cruise more than a year ago. He was saying everything with his eyes but his face registered nothing at all.

“Ten years? I..I…don’t know. A lot can happen in ten years. Heck, I was with Roy for ten years and never expected to still be engaged and working as a receptionist. But, in ten years I want to be…”

Jim interrupted her before she could finish. “With me?”

Pam swallowed. “Is that what you saw when David asked you? Being with me?”

He nodded as he shifted on his feet. The wind barely phased his hair as it ruffled his blue dress shirt. “So, when I knew the answer to that question, I declined the job, went to Karen, let her down as easily as I could, and drove back here.”

He called her to find out where to meet her. When he got to the restaurant she was at, he already had it planned out in his head. He pulled her aside, asked her if she wanted to go but she said she wasn’t ready to leave.

“Well, I think I’m heading back to Scranton.”

“Why?” Karen asked. “We booked the room for one more night and plus, don’t you want to meet my friends?”

“I declined the job, Karen,” he said, matter of factly.

“Why would you do that? This is supposed to be your ticket out of Scranton. Away from all your problems.”

“Leaving would cause more problems than I already have. Besides, if I go back right now, I can fix some of those problems.”

Karen nodded. She heard him loud and clear.

“Do you want a ride back to Scranton?” he asked her.

“No. You’ve got stuff to do and I think I need some time away for a few days,” she said, looking down at her hands.

“I’m really…sorry.”

“I know.”

“I hope you understand,” he said, placing and hand over his heart. “Do you?”

“I do now,” she said with a nod.

“It has nothing to do with you. I made some bad mistakes leaving everything the way I did when I went to Stamford. It’s all on my shoulders and to get relief, I have to take a chance. Again.”

“Be safe,” she said, turning to go back to her friends at their table.

“I will,” he said, waving lazily as he turned to head out the door.

“So, you broke up with Karen because of me? And a little note I left in your folder?” Pam asked.

Jim gazed out over the water again. “You could say that.”

“First off, it was never my intention to break up your relationship with her. Although, there were times where I thought about it…” Pam said, cracking a smile as Jim did too.

“So, there you have it. I’m here with you, she’s in New York where she wants to be, and I’m pretty sure Dwight’s at his beet farm playing Risk with his creepy cousin.”

Pam smiled. She had the answers she needed. She could stop worrying now.

“So, once we got here, what did you have planned?” she asked.

“Um…I don’t really know,” he said, looking around the empty beach. “There doesn’t seem to be anything to do. This was a bad idea, I know.”

“No!” she said, reaching over and placing her hand on Jim’s arm and pulling it away quickly when he noticed. “This is great. I think I enjoy it more tonight than I did last week.”

“Yeah. It’s so weird. Last week we were both in different places…and now, we’re just…here,” he said with a shrug.

“I like it this way better,” she said, looking over at him with his hands stuffed in his pockets still.

And then, he replied with too little words that sent her heart aflutter.

“Me too.”

 

End Notes:
Comments? Thoughts? Reviews? Money?.....let me know what you think.
It's Not Over by BeckySue
Author's Notes:

Title from the song "It's Not Over" by DAUGHTRY.

Thanks to WildBerryJam for the beta and wonderful support. And, to the readers, MTT, and those that so kindly left reviews and comments. You're kindness amazes me still.

 

The night air briskly swept across the beach. Jim and Pam set cross legged on the sand bank close to the water. Over the past hour, they filled each other in on what they’d missed out on.

“So, I got totally wasted that night. It was terrible,” Jim finished, laughing as he told Pam about the night he got drunk at Stamford.

“You got hammered in the office?”

“Oh yeah. Then, I had to bike home,” he said.

Pam giggled again, with her throat getting sore from all their laughter. “No you didn’t.”

“You’re right, I didn’t. I tried and failed. I ended up getting a ride…” he said, leaving off Karen’s name.

“Wow. Biker Jim. That must be a sight,” she said, leaning back on her palms.

“It was good except for coming into work sweaty. I lost some weight and saved on gas,” he said, running his index finger through the sand.

“I noticed you came back with a few pounds missing.”

“You did?” he asked, furrowing his brow and smiling at her.

“Yup,” she said with a nod.

Jim leaned forward and dug his hands into the sand. Pam watched Jim play in the sand and form shapes as they continued to banter on about their lives and how things have change.

Pam realized mid-date that it wasn’t the glamour or showiness of a date that made this night so good. It was just being with him. Being open and honest with him. This night was getting better and better.

While they spoke, Jim had started forming his own sand castle in front of him. Pam smiled as she watched him trying to make a castle. It never failed, it always happened to fall down before he could finish the rest.

As he intently tried to get the fortress to stand, he looked at Pam. “Will you do me a favor?”

“Sure,” she said, loving his endearing features aglow on his face.

“Can I see your hands?”

“Ummm…” she mumbled as she sat up and dusted off her hands and held them out for him to see.

With his own hands still stuck in the sand, he scanned over hers with his eyes. “Good. Now, would you mind rolling up my sleeves? My hands are too dirty.”

“Okay,” she said, reaching out and unbuttoning the cuff of his sleeve and gently rolling it up to his elbow. He leaned over and she rolled up the other side as well.

“Thanks,” he said with a smile. “Why don’t you dig in and build something? I mean, we are at a beach, Pam.”

“It’s so much more fun watching you do it.”

Jim glanced over at Pam as the moonlight lit up her face. “No, that’s not it at all. You don’t want to get your hands dirty, do you?”

Pam shook her head. “Do you know how hard it is to get dirt out from under these nails?” she asked, waving her hands in front of him.

Jim chuckled. “Pam Beesly is a sissy!” he hollered out to no one in particular.

“Am not. I just like to be clean, that’s all.”

“Whatever Pam. You gotta get your hands dirty sometime. Oh, and there is that big body of water right in front of us. I believe it’s called a lake. And, looky there. You can wash your hands in it!” he said, sarcastically poking fun at her.

“Okay, you got me. I’ll play in the sand with you. But, I have one question before I do.”

Jim nodded, “Shoot.”

“Just when did you say you were born? Because right now it seems like your still in your underoo’s, Jim.”

“Oh, that’s a low blow,” he said, smiling from ear to ear.

“Literally,” she coughed, mockingly.

“Wow. I think you just made a reference to my underwear on our first date?”

“You say ‘first date’ like there will be more. What if I don’t walk away from this one pleased?”

“I am hurt, Beesly. You just made me die a little.”

“I’m joking. But, if you keep pestering me about how girlie I am, I will revolt,” she said with a sly grin on her face.

“Revolt all you want. I’ll still be taking you out on a second date.”

Pam smiled. She then dug her hands into the cold sand next to Jim’s castle. Her shoulder bumped into his as she reached over to shovel sand over towards her. Jim moved his arm as he reached to form the mote around his castle.

After making castles and joking with each other, Pam realized something.

I have sand in my skirt.

When the feeling started to bother her, she had to do something. She got up quickly and walked a few steps away from where they had been sitting. Jim looked up as she walked behind him.

“Where are you going?”

Pam giggled at how she was going to answer him. “Ummm….”

“What?” he said, looking over his shoulder to where she paced.

“I’m not trying to be rude, but…I have sand up my skirt…and it feels…really weird,” she said, laughing.

Jim chuckled. “I’m so glad I’m not the only one,” he said, dusting his dress pants with his hands.

“You’re wearing a skirt? Oh, it must go along with those high heels you mentioned earlier,” she joked.

“Very funny.”

“Why don’t we take a walk?” she asked, still pacing and bouncing.

“That sounds like a perfect way to get the sand out of our pants,” he said, standing and meeting her where she stood. “And I think that is the second reference this evening about underpants.”

“Good to know your counting.”

---

“Have you gotten rid of all your sand yet?” Jim asked, with a chuckle.

“I think I did,” Pam said, taking slow steps with him along the beach.

Their hands briefly touched as they swung between the two of them. Pam noticed that Jim took a step away as to avoid that situation again. Pam wasn’t sure why he kept avoiding her touch, but knew that if it was anything, he was being respectful. She hoped that’s all it was.

They strolled along the beach until they came upon a familiar site. Pam knew the place immediately. They had stumbled upon the remains of the coal walk. Even though, the black soot and ash that laid there was just a memory of the night, it brought Pam back to that eventful evening.

She remembered the smell of that evening and the way the wind blew through the locks of hair that dangled from her ponytail. Subconsciously, she had stopped at that spot and stared at the dark sand.

“What?” Jim asked.

“The coal walk,” she said, staring downward.

“So, you meet again,” he said, disguising his voice in a lower tone.

“So we do,” Pam said, joining Jim.

“I bet you can’t do it a second time.”

“Uh, if you haven’t noticed, there aren’t any coals here anymore,” she said, holding her hands out in front of the remains.

“But if you had to do it again, would you?” Jim asked, tucking his hands deep in his pockets.

Pam thought hard. “I don’t know. My feet might not enjoy that again. But, yeah…I would.”

Jim smiled and then glanced up the hill towards the parking lot where a set of headlights beamed down to where they stood.

Jim placed a hand above his brow so he could see. “What’s going on up there?”

“I don’t know,” Pam said, copying Jim as she put her hand up to protect her eyes.

They took a few steps closer to where the beach ended and the parking lot started and found that there was a vehicle behind Jim’s. A look of concern flashed over his face.

“James Halpert!” they heard from the parking lot.

Pam looked over to Jim and he stood in shock. He glanced back and forth between her and where the voice echoed from.

“Uh, did someone just say my name?” Jim asked, apparently still in shock.

“What did you do?” Pam asked, jokingly.

“I have no clue,” he said hazily, as he started towards the slope to the parking lot.

“James Halpert!” the voice echoed again.

Pam reached out her hand and grabbed Jim by the bare forearm and pulled him along. “C’mon. Someone is yelling for you. Man up, Halpert.”

“Thanks,” he said with a smile. “I’ll remember you said that when my murderer is running free and I’m six feet under.”

“Let’s go,” she said, pulling him up the slope.

When they topped the hill, they could make out that the car behind Jim’s was a police cruiser and an officer was standing close to Jim’s car.

“Oh great. What did I do now?” he mumbled to himself as they walked towards the officer waiting for him.

“James Halpert?” the officer asked.

“Uh, it’s Jim. Yeah, Jim Halpert,” he said, still making his way closer to the cop.

When they got within ten feet of the officer, they both recognized him from earlier. It was the same officer that had pulled him over before.

“Do you realize what time it is, Mr. Halpert?” the officer asked, shining a flashlight in their direction.

“It would be,” Jim started, looking down at his watch. “…10:50 pm, sir.”

“The beach closes at ten. Didn’t you see the posted sign?”

“I guess I didn’t pay attention to it,” Jim said, quietly and glancing over at Pam.

“Like you didn’t pay attention to the posted speed limit on your way here this evening?” the officer added.

Jim chuckled nervously. “I guess you’re right, sir,” he said, scratching the back of his neck. Pam stood beside him with the ‘deer caught in the headlights’ look plastered on her face.

“And, just where you two doing out on the beach this late?”

“Taking a stroll.”

“Are you sure?” the officer inquired.

“Yes, sir,” Jim answered quickly and nervously. Pam nodded.

“I’m going to have to ask you to leave now.”

“That’s fine. Sorry for that.”

“I don’t want to run into you anymore, Jim. Have a safe evening,” the officer said, walking back towards his car.

Jim turned and looked over his shoulder at Pam. A wide smile had spread across her face as they quickly rushed to his car and hopped in.

As soon as the doors were shut, they both burst out in laughter. “Oh. My. God,” Jim exclaimed as he glanced in his rear view mirror to check if the officer had left.

“Jim, you’re marked. That officer has it out for you now,” she said, shaking her head amusedly.

“He thought we were getting busy on the beach!” Jim laughed.

“I know!” Pam said, with a hand over her mouth.

After a few more moments of uncontrollable laughter, Jim obeyed and started the car up to leave Lake Scranton. They exited the deserted location and headed back to familiar territory; the Dunder Mifflin parking lot.

 

End Notes:
Okay, I really need the inflow of comments and reviews for this chapter. I'm in mid-write on the next chapter and need all the positive feedback I can get on this. So, read, ponder, write, then click on the submit review button. It's not that hard, really. :)
Train Wreck by BeckySue
Author's Notes:

Title from Elliot Yamin's "Train Wreck."

Thanks to WildBerryJam for the beta, EmilyHalpert for recc'ing this fic over at TWoP and all of those that chose to read and comment. You're great. Now, enjoy.

 

The drive back to Dunder Mifflin had been spent mostly laughing and cracking jokes about their evening. Pam’s throat had become sore from the incessant giggling and she could tell Jim’s was as well by the gravely tone it had taken. Pam admitted that she hadn’t laughed that hard in a long time.

“Secret Assistant to the Regional Manager, Pam? Where in the world did he come up with that one?” Jim asked, choking on his laughter.

Pam giggled a high pitched tone as she rambled on. “He wanted to maintain the Assistant position and make me the secret assistant. Oh, and Andy was his number two. The only person to sign up for the position.”

“Andy…wow, that boy needs a new person to idolize,” Jim said, wiping away a tear from his eye.

“Are you crying?” Pam asked, leaning over to look into his face.

Jim whipped his head back. “I cry when I laugh really hard! Geeze!”

“Oh my gosh, Jim. That is the most….adorable thing I’ve ever seen!” Pam said, leaning back in her seat and chuckling.

“No it’s not. It’s a disease. No girl wants to date a guy who cries when he laughs. It’s ridiculous,” he said, stopping the car at a stoplight.

“I do!” Pam said, blatantly.

Jim smiled to himself as he proceeded when the light turned green. They were a mere fifty yards from the entrance of Dunder Mifflin when Pam saw two figures walking out of the building. Immediately she recognized them as Dwight and Angela and gasped.

“Don’t pull into the parking lot, Jim!” Pam yelped as he looked over at her in confusion.

“What?” he asked.

Pam flailed her arms about and screamed, “Keep going! Keep going!”

“I’m so confused right now, Pam. Tell me what’s going on,” he said, passing the entrance to the building.

Ignoring Jim, Pam craned her neck to see Dwight and Angela look on as they passed. “Wow,” Pam sighed as she settled back into her seat.

“What was that all about?” Jim asked, making a left turn.

“Nothing,” Pam said, shaking her head.

“Oh no. What was that big scene back there? Why can’t I drop you off at your car?”

Pam didn’t want to spill the beans about Dwight and Angela. She felt like she had Angela’s confidence that she wouldn’t tell but then again, this was Jim. Jim would enjoy this piece of juicy information.

“Okay,” Pam said, looking intently at the side of his face as he drove. “You have to promise not to tell. Do you concur?”

“I concur,” Jim said with a nod. “Wow, are we in a bad movie or what?” he asked, chuckling again.

“Listen up. Dwight….and…” Pam started.

“Angela…” Jim finished.

Pam recoiled in shock. “You know?”

You know?” he said, taking his eyes off the road and turning to face her.

“Yes. I’ve known for…well, awhile. Remember when I had my suspicions?”

“Of course. But, you actually confirmed it and didn’t tell me?”

“I was afraid I’d be wrong….but, you knew? When did you find out?”

“Let me just say, I was horrified,” Jim said, widening his eyes. “It was after work…and I caught them. Making out…on her desk…” Jim said, shivering.

Pam held a hand over her mouth as she gasped. “Holy God! They made out in the office? How…disgusting! Who knows what else they do in there…”

“You’re telling me. I’m the one that found them.”

“Did your eyes burn?”

“No. But I wanted to burn my eyes out after that,” he said. “Wait…why did we pass the parking lot? Were they there?”

“I saw them leaving the building,” Pam said, biting on her nail.

“What? You saw them leaving and you wanted to just let them get away with it? This is the perfect moment to stir it all up, Pam!” Jim said, finding a place to turn around.

Pam darted her eyes between the road and Jim. “What you are doing? Are you going to just drive up there and catch them?”

“Heck yes! As soon as Dwight knows that I know…and you know, we can use it as leverage, Pam. Use your brain,” Jim said, tapping a finger to his temple.

“I see,” Pam said, nodding. “So, we are going to catch them coming out of the office at…11:15 and use it against them?”

“It’s genius!” Jim cried in excitement.

Jim made his way back to the entrance of the Business Park and whipped his car in the parking lot. Dwight and Angela were kissing by her car and Pam held her hand over her mouth to stifle the laughter of Jim’s determined look. He was biting the tip of his tongue and squinting as he smoothly pulled the car into the space next to Angela’s car.

As soon as their headlights hit Dwight and Angela, they broke apart and went their separate ways. Jim just sat in his seat and watched them scatter towards their cars. Pam giggled at the scene unfolding in front of her.

“What now?” she asked.

“Let it simmer. Dwight won’t let us get away with this one,” Jim said, watching Dwight walk back over to where Jim and Pam were sitting in the car. “Here he comes,” Jim said, with an excitement in his voice.

“What are you going to do?” Pam asked as she saw Jim unbuckle his seatbelt.

“What I would normally do, Pam. Play mind games with him.” Jim opened his car and met Dwight halfway in the chilly night air.

Dwight had his forehead projected forward with a gleam in his eye. “Good evening, Dwight,” Jim said, coolly.

Dwight stopped with his hands in fists. “Evening, Jim,” he said. He then nodded at Pam who had slowly emerged from the car. “Pam.”

“What are you doing out so late, Dwight?” Jim asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

“What are you doing out so late? Cheating on your girlfriend?” Dwight asked, looking over at Pam and scoffing.

Even though Jim usually wasn’t phased by Dwight, Pam could tell that Dwight’s little comment had struck his core.

“No, actually,” was all Jim said in his defense.

“Then what are you two doing here?”

“I was just dropping Pam off. You didn’t answer my question. What are you doing here so late? And you know, it’s funny, I thought I saw Angela here too. Was that just me or were you kissing her?” Jim said, smugly.

“I was just…walking her to her car,” Dwight said, seeming flustered.

“Why were you two still in the office passed eleven, Dwight? I mean, I know you weren’t making sales calls this late and she certainly wasn’t working on accounting.”

“She actually had to stay over to prepare some forms for Ryan. I stayed behind to make sure she was safe. Safety is my number one job in this office, Jim,” he said, sucking up his pride through his nostrils.

“Oh, I thought you’re job was selling paper,“ Jim stated.

Dwight was getting flustered, and Pam could tell. She could see him mentally preparing a comeback and then he spat out, “If you remember correctly, I saved your tail when Roy wanted to destroy you!” Dwight nodded in Pam’s direction at his statement. Jim turned and looked towards her too.

“That was just a test,” Jim said, lifting his brow.

Dwight was confused. “A test?”

“Yes. You didn’t figure that out?” he said, turning to Pam for agreement.

Dwight glanced between Jim and Pam. He then spat out, “That’s preposterous. I would’ve known if it was a test.”

“Well, Roy and I planned that just for you.”

“Why would you and Roy need to test me? Am I being considered for some top secret mission or something?” he asked.

Pam giggled behind them. Jim spoke up to muffle her laughter.

“I can’t divulge that information with you at the moment. But one day, it will all be revealed.”

“But, when?”

Jim held up a hand. “In due time, my friend. In due time.”

Dwight nodded. He then looked around the parking lot and started to ask a question but Jim interrupted again.

“So, Angela?” Jim said, pointing over his shoulder to where her car was sitting before she had taken off.

“She has nothing to do with this secret mission does she? I don’t want to jeopardize her safety.”

“Not at all. But I wouldn’t tell her what happened here tonight. And, you shouldn’t tell anyone you’re seeing each other. Let alone show affection in public ever again. It could ruin you forever,” Jim mustered up.

“He‘s right, Dwight,” Pam chimed in.

“Really? We try to be as secretive as we can.”

“Well, tonight was a weak moment. I know, I’ve been there. But, do yourself a favor, try to focus from now on,” Jim said, using the best of his acting skills to not break this moment.

“Will do,” Dwight said, standing taller.

Jim knew he couldn‘t last much longer. “Now, go home, get some sleep, and forget our meeting ever happened.”

“Yes, sir,” Dwight said, nodding and turning away from Jim. Dwight winked at Pam before he turned.

“Goodnight, Dwight!” Pam hollered across the parking lot.

Once Dwight was out of earshot, Pam and Jim returned to their laughter. Pam erupted into a fit of giggles as Jim walked over to where she was leaning on the back of his car.

“Wow. I didn’t think I’d end up running into Dwight tonight,” Jim said, running a hand over the back of his neck.

“He’s so fun to pick on,” Pam stated. “Well, it’s not as fun without you,” she blushed.

Jim took his place next to Pam leaning against the back glass of his car. “So…”

Pam rocked on her feet. “So…” she said, pursing her lips.

“I guess this is where I leave you off to go home and write in your diary, right?” he said, looking down at her.

“Oh. I don’t write in a diary. I blog,” she said with a mischievous smile, jokingly.

“Blog away, my dear,” he said, pushing off of the back glass with his hands.

“Oh, trust me. I’ll definitely be web-logging all of this tonight.”

“What’s the address? I might want to take a peek.”

“It’s uh…www-dot- not gonna happen-dot-net.”

“Shoot,” he said, with a snap of his fingers.

Jim glanced up at the night sky and furrowed his brow in wonderment. He looked at Pam and then pointed up towards the sky.

“Don’t tell me, but is that a rain cloud?” he asked, seemingly amused.

Pam looked up and nodded. “Yup.”

“Great. I'm sorry this has turned into a train wreck,” he said, playing with his keys in his hand.

Pam noticed this hands playfully clinging the keys together. After all they’ve done tonight and all the days, weeks, months, and years they’ve spent pining for one another, he hadn’t tried to make any physical contact with her at all. And yet, she’d noticed every little thing his hands did, all night long.

“I resent that,” she mumbled out, snapping out of her daze.

“Well, you’re the one that spilt the salt at the dinner table, Bees.”

Pam girlishly giggled again. “I did, didn’t I?”

“So, this is all your fault,” he said, holding his hand out to catch some of the sprinkles falling from the sky.

“Did it work?” she asked, copying him from earlier in the night.

“Did what work?”

“The ticket, the sand in the pants, the cop stalking you, Dwight’s run-in, and now…the rain.”

Jim smiled, leaning back against his car again where Pam still rested. “I think it did.”

“Good. Because now that this is out of the way, the next one won’t be as bad.”

“You have a point,” Jim said, turning to look Pam in the face. He paused for a moment and stared into her eyes as the sprinkles rested on their shoulders. He cocked his head to the side as to say something, but didn’t. Pam’s stomach did a flip. He was going to lean in and kiss her. She just knew that look on his face.

The rain started to fall harder as if to break the moment that had been created and Jim looked up again and caught some droplets of precipitation on his face. He covered his face with his hand when he turned to look back down at Pam.

“I think we’re gonna have to call it a night,” he said, with a somber look on his face.

Pam nodded. “Oh.”

“I had a really great…time,” he said, shifting on his feet.

“Oh, yea…me too,” she said, disappointed that their night was ending on account of rain.

“I know, it’s not really what you’d expected.”

“No, no. It was great. I didn’t really expect anything until you came back this afternoon. Since I thought you might be leaving me again and all. So, this was a pleasant surprise.”

Jim’s mood had drastically changed in the few minutes that they were standing in the parking lot and Pam could tell. It amazed Pam at how reminiscent the Dunder Mifflin parking lot had become to them. It was a parking lot filled with memories of Jim and his bravery in telling her his feelings. It also served as a reminder to Pam that Jim wasn’t hers when Katy had shown up and swept him up. And once he had returned, Karen had been the one to take the place of Katy. Even after she saw Karen gently running a hand over his back, he came to her and they agreed they‘d always be friends. She didn’t want this night to be on that list of downtrodden moments in her experience with him.

Jim cleared his throat. “Well, thank you for coming tonight…on such short notice. Let‘s do it again.”

“Hey, no problem. And, I'd love to go out again,” she said, putting a hand up.

The rain started pounding against Jim’s roof of his car. He looked down at his shirt clinging to his body and tried to pull it away. He grasped his keys tight and smiled towards Pam, who hadn’t moved an inch. Once his attention was to her, she stood straight and backed off of his car.

“Goodbye,” she said, taking a few steps towards her car with a wave.

Jim remained in his spot and waved back before heading towards the drivers side door. “Don’t say goodbye. That’s forever. Say, ‘see you later,’” he yelled across the parking lot.

“Okay,” she nodded, as the rain hit her face. She fiddled with her keys in her door. She felt dejected but didn’t want it to come off that way. She knew it was their nerves that was keeping this night from being a full-blown date. So, she hollered back across the wet parking lot, “See you later, Jim!”

“Goodnight,” he said, before scrunching himself into his car.

Pam hurriedly got into the car, shut the door fast, and let out a relieving sigh. In her rearview mirror, she watched as he backed out slowly and took off down the highway in the pouring rain.

 

End Notes:
I need inspiration from my fellow readers, writers, beta's, illegitimate children, and those that are daring to inspire. Send the love.
The Nearness of You by BeckySue
Author's Notes:

Chapter Title and story inspired by Norah Jones' "The Nearness of You."

Here is another chapter. One of my absolute favorites in this story. So, thanks to my beta, WildBerryJam, my window's media player for supplying the music for endless hours, and to the Office...for inspiring me to write.

So, this was/is supposed to be my last chapter to this story. But, I don't know if I should continue. I need your help deciding if more should follow this chapter.

 

Pam wasn’t sure what she was feeling from the night’s events. She obviously had a good time with Jim. It never failed. They both had a great sense of humor that they could play with for hours and tonight had been one of those nights. She just enjoyed spending time alone with him. The real Jim.

She couldn’t help shake the feeling of uneasiness that filled her stomach. Maybe it wasn’t so much as an uneasiness as it had been her missing him. She just wished he had initiated something that showed her that he was really interested. He did ask you out, she thought, trying to appease her conscience.

Pam backed her car out of the parking space and pulled up to the exit. She saw Jim’s brake lights up ahead on the road through the hazy rain streaks on her windshield. A pang of emotion swept over her again as she contemplated her next move.

She went with her gut on this one. She turned the car to the right instead of the left and sped through the streets of Scranton. She prayed silently that the police officer that had followed them around all night was on break or off duty because she wasn’t stopping for anything.

She kept her cool as she went through side streets and back roads. There was no way she was giving up that easily on something she desperately wanted. She did, she wanted Jim. She didn’t want to let him get away. She wanted to be near him. Close to what she had almost lost for good before.

You’ll see him in the morning. He asked you out again. He wants to make this work too, she thought. There were a million thoughts running through her head as she rounded a corner in a residential area. She slowed and calmly darted her eyes to watch for cars, pedestrians, or even, him.

Her heart raced as she pulled up behind his car. His headlights had just flickered off. She could see him running towards his front door with his hand above his head as the rain continued to pour. She knew he hadn’t noticed her. She quickly parked her car behind his and evacuated. When she flung open the door, her feet landed in a large puddle of water. She didn’t seem to care at this moment; she just wanted to catch him before he locked himself away for the evening.

She covered her eyes from the pelting rain and loudly shouted his name. He was jiggling his keys in his front door as the spout from the rooftop poured water over him.

“Jim!” she yelled again.

He looked over his shoulder and squinted his eyes to look out over his lawn. When he saw her tip-toeing over his lawn, he let go of the doorknob and his jaw dropped.

“What are you doing, Pam?” he asked.

She giggled as she hopped over a puddle forming on his sidewalk. “I don’t really know,” she said with her hands held open.

Jim laughed as he watched her quickly make her way towards him. All he could do was nervously chuckle. She had followed him home and subjected herself to catching pneumonia for another moment with him. He shook his head in disbelief.

“You know, I thought we said goodbye about ten minutes ago,” he said, pointing a thumb over his shoulder.

“I know. I thought we did too. But, honestly, I didn’t want to,” she said, rain getting caught in her curls.

For the first time that evening, Jim placed his hands on the sides of her arms and pulled her under the awning. He released her arms with a grin spread across his face. Pam caught her breath and sighed deeply.

“Me either,” he said, bearing all. Pam nodded and darted her eyes between her wet shoes and his stunned face.

“How do you have that kind of discipline then?” she asked, with a laugh.

Jim bowed his head. “I don’t. I kept kicking myself on the way home. That’s why I probably didn’t see you following me,” he said, his eyes connecting with her car.

They stood next to Jim’s house, with the rain falling and the porch light shining an ambiance around them. Silence hung in the clean air as they stood there, both waiting.

“So, what was so important that you needed to chase me home?” he finally asked.

Pam’s expression on her face was a mixture of surprise and shock and little bit of unknowingness. She didn’t know why she had felt the urge to follow him home. She couldn’t form the words so she just didn‘t say anything.

When Pam didn’t respond, Jim looked at his front door, his keys still hanging in the lock, and the rain falling harder and blowing towards them. “Do you want to get out of the rain?” he asked. “I’m sorry. It was rude of me to keep you out here in the freezing rain.”

“Oh. It’s raining?” she asked, sarcastically. Well, she didn’t really mind the rain. She, honestly, hadn’t noticed that she was drenched and that goose bumps dusted her arms and legs.

“It’s pouring,” he said, taking a step towards his front door. He turned the key and leaned his shoulder into his door. It popped open with a loud noise and Jim reached an arm into his house and flicked a light switch. The house became illuminated and made shadows on the wet lawn. Their silhouettes were there too; standing among the windows of the house. Pam watched hers as she moved up the steps towards Jim‘s front door. It soon disappeared as she ventured into his living room and the door closed behind her.

Once she stepped one foot into his home, she quickly became aware of her surroundings. She was standing in Jim’s house. Just the essence of him made her heart flutter and feel light. She could smell his scent lingering in the house as she stood there taking in everything.

Jim threw his keys on the table next to the front door. He didn’t proceed any further into his house. He just stopped and stood by the front door with Pam. She stood there, pale and her gaze lost from reality.

“Do you want a towel?” he asked her then mumbling to himself, “What am I asking? Of course you want a towel,” he said, shifting to wander towards the linen closet.

“No, actually, I need to be going,” she said, backing towards the door.

Jim’s face fell. “Oh. Well, thanks for stopping by,” he said, obviously disappointed by her decision.

“I mean, I would like to stay but it’s after midnight, we have work in the morning and well, I just shouldn’t have followed you home. I’m sorry,” she apologized as Jim came down the hall with a hand towel in his hand.

He handed it to her slowly. Almost begging her to take it.

“I really need to go,” she said again, watching her fingers grasp around the fluffy linen.

“Dry off a bit before you go,” Jim suggested. “You came all the way here and I’m not going to let you go home with a cold.”

“It’s fine,” she said, pushing the towel back into his hands. “I made a mistake.”

Jim took the towel. His face registered hurt all over again. Pam could tell she was being difficult when it was so easy to be with him. It was her fault she was separating herself from this moment. She had come to his place for just a tiny inkling of something, and once she knew she was in too deep, she knew she wasn‘t going to be able to stop. She had the hint. He wanted her too.

“A mistake?”

“No. Not a mistake. I just…” she said, getting flustered. “I guess I came here because you didn’t even really…I don’t know…”

“I didn’t what?” he asked, holding the towels in his hands.

“..you didn’t even try to get close to me tonight. I guess I was worried that you weren’t really feeling it,” she said, staring at the floor.

Jim chuckled. “Oh, trust me. The reason I didn’t try to pull any moves was because of that…” he started and then took a step towards her. “I was feeling it tonight. I guess I felt guilty that we’d already sorta crossed that line a year ago…way before we got to this point. And, I just….you know, broke up with someone. It‘s not really fair to you.”

“Oh,” Pam said, a smile pulling at the corners of her mouth. She felt relief in her chest. “I guess I just wanted to know that then. That’s the reason I’m here,” she said, smiling up at him.

“I’m glad you came,” he said, smiling and toying with the fabric in his hands. Pam’s eyes immediately caught his hands playing with the towels. She caught herself and looked up towards him.

“Me too,” she nodded. “Well, I guess I really do need to go now.”

“Okay,” he said, reaching for the door knob behind her.

Pam watched as her reached behind her and pulled the door open. She had this crazy instinct to reach out and touch his face or his arm. Then, her thoughts got the best of her and she just stood there, stark still.

“Can I just…” Pam started, holding up a finger as if she was going to propose something. “Can I just get a hug, a handshake or something?” she said, nervously laughing.

Jim smiled and nodded. He then stuck out his open hand. Pam didn’t care that he chose the lesser of the two options, but she immediately placed her hand in his. Instead of resorting to shaking, Jim pulled her into a hug. He wrapped his arms tightly around her and they swayed for a brief moment. Pam firmly planted her hands on his soaked back and settled into him. She sighed and for the first time in a long time, contentment swelled inside her.

“This feels much better,” she said into the spot below his Adam’s apple.

His arms enveloped her and she could feel them tightening around her as they stood in his foyer. Their breathing slowed and the bitter cold that was clinging to their clothes had lost its iciness. Pam reveled in Jim’s chest rising and falling against her head. She had found the perfect spot to get lost in him. She felt like she couldn’t get any closer than this.

As they pulled away slowly, their cheeks rested against one another’s briefly. His hands followed down her arms to her hands and gently lingered there. Pam’s eyes were tightly closed and once she felt the air began to flow between the two of them again, she opened them to find his green eyes staring into her with a ferocity. He breathed slowly and then spoke.

“Was that what you needed?” he asked, his voice low and quiet.

She couldn’t form words. So instead, she nodded.

“Good,” he said, smiling and exhaling again.

She took a step away, their hands pulling away slowly and falling to their sides. “I guess I better go….now,” she said, shaking her head and looking for the door handle.

Jim stood at the door as she walked out of his house. Before the rain started falling on her again, she turned, looked at him leaning on his door jamb and said, “See you later.”

He smiled, wadded the towels with his hands and breathed, “See you later, Pam.”

 

End Notes:
Like I stated before, this was/is supposed to be my last chapter. Would you like to see an aftermath of the date, another date, the deal with Karen, Ryan's announcement to the office, or a potential kiss? If you want to see any of those happen and think this story could survive with another chapter or two, please let me know. I'm seriously at a crossroads with this one. Thanks! Let me know what you think!
Come Away with Me by BeckySue
Author's Notes:

Okay, I've decided to add three more chapters to this story. This section of the story will be overall entitled, "The Aftermath"....so, therefore, you get the picture...it's the aftermath of the first date and the rumblings in the office. So, be prepared to feel disjointed from Jim and Pam for brief periods of time to explore the other office workers little cameos. So...Enjoy.

Chapter title from: Norah Jones' "Come Away with Me."

Also, thanks to WildBerryJam for the BETA and all the great work she does. You're very appreciated.

 

In the confines of her car, Pam smiled to herself. The rain was still pouring over her vehicle and creating a soothing rhythm. Pam started her car, turned down her radio to enjoy the moment, and looked back towards Jim’s house.

He was still leaning against the doorframe. His reflection on the grass was defined by the lights shining out of his door. She watched him stand there for a few moments before waving one last time and backing out of his driveway.

As Pam drove him, her thoughts were of him. Pam beamed at the fact that even his hug made butterflies dance in her stomach. The way he smelled, the way his arms tightly pulled her in close, they way she fit against him, and the way their cheeks grazed each others as they pulled apart.

The fact of the matter was, that they didn’t need a kiss to seal the deal. It had already been sealed when he walked into the office that afternoon and asked her out. Their hug didn’t disappoint Pam one bit. If it made her feel anything, it was the feeling of desire. She couldn’t wait to feel that close again.

She pulled into her apartment’s parking lot and darted out of her car. The rain was still falling strong and creating pools of water across the complex’s lawn. She dodged several puddles by hopping and stepping over each one. By this point, she was drenched.

Pam climbed the stairs to her apartment under the cover of the building’s roof. Once she was out of the rain, she slowed her pace and walked to her door with her keys dangling from her hand. She pushed open the door and escaped inside her apartment. Her wet clothes were discarded to a heap on the floor next to her couch.

Since she had stayed out so late with Jim, she found her comfortable pajama’s, made a warm cup of tea and headed to bed. After finishing half of her cup, she pulled her covers up tight to her chest, sighed, said a grateful prayer, and closed her heavy eyes.

In mid-doze, Pam was startled by the ringing of her phone next to her head. She jumped, rolled over and picked up her cell phone. Jim’s name glowed in the darkness of her room, and all sleep had been forgotten.

Her fingers flew over the keys on the phone and she hit the ‘answer’ button.

“Jim?” she asked, curious and excited at the same time.

“It’s nearly one a.m. and I’m calling you. Wow, you must be a keeper.”

Pam giggled. “It’s nearly one a.m. and I actually picked up. I am a keeper.”

Pam heard Jim laugh over the phone. “Um, I know I mentioned going out again, but I didn’t really make plans. Would you want to go out again tomorrow evening? I know it’s short-”

“Yes,” she said before he could finish.

There was silence over the line. Just as Pam got nervous that their connection had failed or he had hung up, he spoke again.

“Great. I thought I said something about it, but never formally asked. So, here it is.”

“Well, I formally accept.”

“So, tomorrow is good for you?”

“Let me check my schedule,” she said, joking. After a beat, she teased. “Yup. I’m all clear to go out.”

“Okay. Good, I was hoping that I could get an appointment. You know, since you’re so busy.”

“You caught me at the right time. I was about to stop taking appointments,” Pam said, sitting up in her bed.

“I thought you’d be blogging right about now,” he said.

“Not quite,” she said, examining her fingernails as she outstretched her hand in front of her.

“Oh, no. Were you asleep when I called?” he asked, suddenly.

Pam looked around her room and the clock next to her. “No,” she said.

“You’re lying. You were asleep and I woke you up. God, I’m really bad at this,” he said, trailing off.

Pam giggled. “Okay, I was dozing. But, if I didn’t want to talk, would I have answered?”

“I guess not.”

“I’m glad that you called.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. The drive home was lonely. So, this is…nice. I don’t usually have anyone to talk to after I’ve settled into bed. I like this,” she said, her heart aching a tiny bit.

“Me too,” he said, a yawn escaping his lips.

“I guess I need to let you get some sleep yourself,” she said, covering up a yawn of her own. She rested her head back against her headboard.

“Yeah. Well, so….tomorrow..”

“Tomorrow. Right after work or later in the evening?”

“I’ll pick you up around six-ish. Is that cool?

Pam nodded, even though he couldn’t see her. “Yeah. Sounds good.”

Another silence lingered over the phone lines and Pam broke the silence this time. “I’m just gonna ask this right now,” she started as Jim interrupted.

“What’s that?” he asked.

“Is tomorrow going to be completely awkward between us?”

“Now, why would you say that?” he said, as Pam heard another yawn echoed over the phone.

“Because, I don’t know. I’m just going to warn you that I might seem like I’m ignoring you tomorrow but that’s just me being shy.”

“What? Why would you be shy?”

“Because…it’s like this curse I have. After a date, I seem really shy. It’s not that I’m shy, it’s just that I get butterflies in my stomach when I see that person the next time.”

“And just how many first dates have you been on?” he said, teasing.

Pam thought. She had a few dates with a boy from high school, then Roy, and then Kelly’s neighbor, and now, Jim. “Well, I guess only four.”

“And, you say, that after the date you get all nervous. Like, you can’t look at them without blushing or smiling?”

“Exactly,” she said, relieved he understood what she was talking about. “You know the feeling?”

“Oh yeah. Not that I get shy…because I am a man after all, Pam,” he said, sarcastically. “But, I know that feeling. It’s like, you both know what happened on the date and if you look at them, everyone else might know too.”

“Yeah. That’s it!” she said.

“I guess we’ll see in the morning then,” Jim said, coolly, almost sounding like a promise to Pam. She would be seeing him in the morning and it made her stomach flip just thinking about it.

“The morning,” she said to herself. “That’s not very far away.”

“Yeah. In seven hours or something like that.”

“Well, until then,” she said, smiling.

After they’d hung up, Jim’s last words echoed in Pam’s ears. “Can’t wait. See you in seven hours, Pam.”

----

The rain had persisted through the night and into the morning. Pam didn’t mind the rain. It reminded her of last night and him. Rain now had a good meaning for her. It represented newness and cleansing and most of all, it made her think of second chances.

Pam pulled into the Dunder Mifflin parking lot a little later than normal. She had woke up early, due to the fact that she had a hard time sleeping the excitement off, but she didn’t want to quite get out of bed. It was comfortable and cozy and the rain on her window pane had begged for her to stay just a little bit longer. So, she waited until she found the will to get up and get ready for the long workday ahead.

Once she had arrived and parked in her normal space next to Michael’s Sebring, she climbed out of the car and looked around the parking lot. She didn’t see Jim’s car yet but one person’s car she did recognize was Karen’s SUV. Even though Jim had assured her that he was through with her and that they had split, Pam felt something rise to her throat. It wasn’t jealousy. She had him now. He had chosen her. Pam’s feelings were more of a guilt or a fear of the unknown.

Pam briskly walked towards the front doors of the Scranton Business Park as a light mist fell to the ground. Before she got close to the doors, she saw Jim pull into the parking lot and park his car quickly and efficiently. She grinned to herself as she saw him hop out of his car and walk towards her. They didn’t holler greetings from across the parking lot, they just smiled, knowing that things were different.

Pam patiently waited for him to catch up to her before she entered the building. When their eyes connected, they both smiled. Jim bowed his head as she looked at him, as if he was saying hello. Pam followed suit and did the same.

As they walked next to each other, side by side, Pam initiated the conversation.

“What’s your excuse for being late?” she asked, reaching for the door handle.

Jim sighed. “I guess you kept me out too late, Beesly,” he said, smiling.

“Oh. Yet again, you blame me for last night. When will it stop?”

They got into the elevator and Jim pressed the up button leisurely. “Um, the blame will stop once I find something else to blame you for,” he replied, as he adjusted his bag‘s strap on his shoulder

Pam giggled. “Nice,” she said, then looked away.

Half way up to the office, Jim cleared his throat and asked, “So, are you feeling it?”

“Huh?” she asked, looking towards him.

“The whole ‘awkward, butterfly, shy feeling?’” he clarified.

“Oh, yeah,” she answered with a nod.

“Good. ‘Cause I think I might just have to ignore you all day too.”

Jim Halpert has butterflies? I cannot-” she started, smiling into her eyes.

“-Whoa, I never said they were butterflies. Guys don’t get butterflies…”

“I see. Then, what are they called?”

“I don’t know,” he said, watching the elevator doors slide open. He held out his hand to motion her to go first.

She walked passed him, looking over her shoulder and continued to tease him. “Well, until I know a name for it, they’re still known as butterflies.”

“Don’t say that too loud. I have a reputation to uphold,” he whispered.

He grabbed the door handle to the office and swung it open. “Right. I’ll try to remember that,” she said, talking lower and stepping inside the office. Their conversation stopped as they rounded the corner of Michael’s office. Pam quickly found her seat behind the reception desk and silently watch Jim place his jacket on the coat rack.

He gave one last smile to her before heading towards his desk and facing the gawks and stares from his fellow coworkers. Not only was Dwight and Angela staring in his general direction, Karen’s eyes were steadily burning a hold in the top of Jim’s bowed head.

Ryan approached Pam’s desk with a folder of papers in his hand. He quietly handed them to her, asked her to make copies, make a few faxes and asked for her to get Michael’s signature on a few documents. When she suggested that he just ask Michael himself, Ryan shook his head, told her it would be better for her to ask him, and walked off.

Pam couldn’t help but notice all his documents that needed to be faxed out were to corporate. She also noticed one paper filed by Toby that stated Ryan could accept a transfer. Although Pam was puzzled, she didn’t stop to think about it more carefully. After trying to put it off for as long as she could, she finally got up from her chair and walked towards Michael’s office door that had been shut since she arrived.

She passed by Jim’s desk and heard him turn in his chair as she did. She wondered if Karen caught his eyes following her as she walked by. That thought quickly faded as she stepped into Michael’s office to find him holding his head in his hands. Pam quietly shut the door behind her and cleared her throat. He looked up with blood shot eyes. Pam gave him a look of concern.

“What’s wrong, Michael?” she asked, setting Ryan’s papers in his box.

Michael watched her put the folder down and then quickly darted his eyes up to her. “Jan is going to move in with me. She lost her job, she wants to move in with me,” he said, rubbing his eyes with his palms.

Pam’s mouth formed an ‘o’ shape as he continued on. “Plus, I just got word that someone from here got the job in New York. So, someone will be leaving us soon,” he said, leaning back in his chair.

“You don’t know who?” she asked, then catching herself looking at the folder she had just brought in.

“No, David told me that the applicant that got it would be bringing me the paperwork. Something about that person wanting to reveal it in his own time…blah, blah, blah…” Michael said, flailing his arms about. “Wait. Since David said it was a guy, I assume Jim nailed his interview. Tell him congrats for me.”

Pam nodded and her eyes went back to the folder sitting on the corner of his desk. She knew Michael wasn’t going to take this news well. And, she now knew that Karen wasn’t going to be leaving for New York anytime soon.

“What did you bring me?” he asked, picking up the folder and flipping it open. Pam cringed as she watched his eyes widen and his face turn a bright red. He chuckled nervously to himself and kept reading.

When he looked up at Pam, his mouth was wide open and his eyes glossy. “Are you kidding me?” he asked, with a laugh. “The temp got the job? What has this world come to?” he asked, going slightly over the edge.

Pam shook her head and headed to the door. “Just sign the bottom and give them back to me when you’re done,” she said before slipping out the door. She heard Michael call out to her as the door shut but she decided to ignored him.

Jim’s gaze was on her as she exited Michael’s office. By his facial expression, Pam could tell that he was curious why she had left Michael’s office the way she did. She shrugged and walked back to her chair. Pam counted down the minutes until Michael came bursting out of his office. Everyone whipped their heads around to see Michael seething.

“Get the temp out here now!” he yelled out.

Dwight turned in his chair with a satisfied expression on his face. “What did he do this time? Not make another sale? Oh, better yet…did he lose a customer?”

Michael stared at Dwight. “Get him,” he said through his teeth. Dwight immediately jumped from his chair and went into the kitchen. After a brief moment, Dwight returned with Ryan in tow.

Dwight was prepping Ryan as they came through the kitchen door. “You’re so gonna be in trouble, Ryan!”

“What?” he asked, innocently.

Michael held up the papers in the air. “You interviewed at corporate?”

Ryan nodded. “I did last week. Right after you told us you’d be interviewing.”

“You went behind my back?” Michael yelled again. This time, he jarred Meredith from her drunken sleep. Ryan didn’t respond to Michael’s question.

Everyone in the office glanced around to each other. Jim turned in his chair and looked at Pam. She widened her eyes comically and he shook his head in disbelief.

“Get out!” Michael yelled at Ryan and pointing at the door.

“Huh? After today, I’m gone-,” Ryan said, placing a hand on his chest.

Micheal pointed towards the door. “Now. Get out…you, you…betrayer of the brethren!”

Ryan grabbed the handle to the kitchen door, mumbled under his breath, and charged towards his desk in the annex.

Michael called out after him. “My house. My rules, mister!” He then glanced around the room, obviously preparing to say something.

“So, now you all know what will happen if you betray your leader. You get kicked to the curb. So, don’t try it,” he said, wiping his brow.

“Michael, are you okay?” Phyllis asked, shyly.

Michael looked up at her. “No. I’m not okay, Phyllis. I just had someone very close to me walk out of my life. I’m deeply hurt.”

Phyllis chimed in again. “But, you’re the one that is making him leave today. He said he didn’t have to leave till after-”

He stumbled over his words before he could get “Shut it” out of his mouth. “You know what? I’m not having a good week. Ryan just stuck a knife in my neck, my jobless woman is eating everything in the house, and I’m having to resort to pity sex! Does anyone know what that feels like?”

“I do,” Kevin said quietly, raising his hand and lowering it slowly as his coworkers peered in his direction.

Michael continued: “Just get back to work. No one, I repeat, no one will be quitting ever again. It’s too much for me to bear. I will not allow anymore transfers or retirements of any kind. It kills this office. So, I decree that we are here for the long run. It’ll be great. Won’t it be nice to know that you’ll die in the same job that you have now?” he asked, grinning.

Stanley made a low rumble as he scoffed under his breath. Andy and Dwight were the only ones to seemingly enjoy that idea. Pam rolled her eyes and Jim quietly stated ‘yikes’.

Karen was the only one to say anything directly to Michael. “You can’t do that.”

“Karen, yes I can. I’m the boss. I’m never leaving and either are any of you!” he said pointing around the room.

Karen turned in her chair. She briefly looked at Jim as she turned to face Michael. “No. I’m not staying here forever. You can’t hold your employees hostage.”

“It’s not hostage. It’s love,” he said, taking a few steps back.

“Well, I’m quitting. So, you can’t stop me from leaving.”

Michael dropped his jaw. “Not you too!”

Karen nervously glanced around the room. “I’m moving back to Stamford where my family is. I won’t be working here anymore,” Karen said as Pam’s eyes widened.

“You’re quitting?” Andy asked from across the room, standing up from his seat.

“I’ve got connections for another job there. I leave this weekend,” she said, her tone getting quieter. Before she turned back towards her desk, she gave Jim another glance. He broke the eye contact before she did to stare at his computer monitor.

Michael opened his mouth as to say something just as Ryan came back through the office with his jacket and a box of items. Kelly came trotting after him with tear stains on her cheeks. Everyone watched as he walked out of the office, with Kelly hot on his trail.

Jim looked over towards Pam and did his trademark shrug and smile. Pam jumped slightly when Michael slammed his office door closed and left the office alone for the rest of the morning.

 

End Notes:
Beer me some reviews.
A Beautiful Occupation by BeckySue
Author's Notes:

Okay, here is the second to last chapter of this fic! It's almost coming to a close. So, soak up all you can while it's still here. Also, please tell your other online fanfic friends to read it and rec this fic! I would appreciate the support.

Title taken from Travis' "A Beautiful Occupation". -No real reason why I chose this title except that this chapter is wholly in the office and I love that song.

Thanks to WildBerryJam again for the BETA. You are the SUPER Beta. It's like superman meets fanfic. Dun Dun Dun...SUPERBETA! hehe:)

 

Lunchtime rolled around and the office was still hushed from Michael’s outburst. Pam managed to get away from the phones to get her lunch from the refrigerator. As she opened the fridge door, Karen came in and started to pour another cup of coffee.

When Pam stood back up with her lunch in hand, she saw Jim coming towards the kitchen door through the blinds. Their eyes met and she shook her head slightly to alert him. He turned quickly and headed back to his desk. Karen put her hot coffee up to her lips and glanced over to Pam still standing at the refrigerator.

Pam knew she needed to say something. “So, you’re moving?” she asked, playing with the top of her brown bag.

Karen headed towards the door and leaned against it. “Yeah.”

“And, you have a job already lined up?”

“Yeah,” she said.

“Well, good luck.”

“Thanks. I really appreciate it,” she said as she turned and walked out the door. Pam widened her eyes at Jim before turning and walking back to the break room. He had apparently been watching them converse the whole time from the safety of his desk. After Karen was seated, he stood and went into the break room.

He walked in and sat down next to Pam. When he sat across from her she looked up over her yogurt and smiled. “You owe me, Halpert.”

He smiled. “What did I do?”

“You broke up with your girlfriend at a bad time,” she said, plunging her spoon into her yogurt container.

“You’re right. It was six months too late,” he said, cocking his head to the left. He pulled his sandwich from his lunch sack and began to eat.

“Are you ready for tonight?” he asked, between bites of his ham and cheese.

Just as he spit out the question, Kelly startled them from behind, “Oh my gosh. Are you taking her out, Jim?”

Jim looked over at Pam. He nodded his head as he turned away from Kelly. She stepped forward and placed her hands on the back of one of the chairs. “Are you serious? I cannot believe that! You guys….you’re sooo in love. Jim, you look at Pam just the way that Tom Cruise looks at Katie Holmes! You’re the next TomKat! I can tell. I know this because I just got out of a relationship. I mean, I loved him and all…but, we just weren’t made for one another. It’s just….” she stated.

About the time Pam didn’t think she could last any longer, Kelly continued. “We really had a good time together and then he dumps me for a lame job somewhere else. Hey, do you think there’s someone else? Oh my god. What if he was cheating on me?” she asked as Jim and Pam gave each other glances. Before Kelly could start another bout of rambling, she burst into tears and ran towards her desk.

“I’ve never been so relieved to see a girl run out of a room crying before,” Jim said as Pam giggled.

“I’m so ready for this workday to end,” Pam said, finishing off her yogurt. As she started to stand, Jim caught her arm.

“Where’re you going?” he asked, looking up at her.

“Someone needs to go talk with Kelly,” she said, smoothing the wrinkles from her skirt once Jim released her arm. “And, someone needs to go talk with Karen,” Pam said, looking him square in the eyes.

“Tell her I said hi,” Jim said, sticking the last bite of ham and cheese sandwich in his mouth. Pam shook her head and said, “Fine. Make sure you tell Kelly it’s okay to cry on your shoulder.”

Jim widened his eyes. He stood quickly and stuck some change in the pop machine. “I get it. I need to make amends. Thank you, Ma,” he said, sarcastically. Pam gave a quick smile to him before trotting over to Kelly’s desk. Jim watched as she did and snapped out of his trance when he heard the clank of his grape soda dispensing.

As Jim came through the kitchen, Kevin came out of the men’s restroom. When he saw Jim coming, he quickly muttered something under his breath to Jim.

“What’s that, Kev?” Jim asked, resting a hand on the kitchen door and sipping from his can.

“I have…the list,” Kevin spoke clearer.

Jim thought about what Kevin was talking about. Then, it hit him. “Oh! The list. I don’t think I‘ll be needing it.”

Kevin moved closer to Jim as to keep his voice low. “I did a bunch of research while you were gone. Do you want to know who finished strong?”

“Nah. Thanks for the help though,” Jim said, turning and pushing through the door. Just as Jim was leaving the kitchen, Pam entered through the other side. Kevin turned as he saw her and moved out of her way.

“How’s it going, Kevin?” Pam asked, washing her hands in the sink.

Kevin giggled as he watched her wash her hands. Pam looked up, confused. “What’s so funny?” she asked.

“Nothing,” Kevin said, shaking his head with a smile on his face.

Pam grabbed a paper towel off the roller. “Okay,” she said as she dried her hands.

“Oh man,” Kevin said, watching her walk towards the door.

“What?”

“You’re gonna get lucky.”

“What?!” Pam asked, her eyebrows hitting the ceiling.

Kevin snickered again. “I think Jim will choose you. All my data says so.”

“Huh? Data?”

“Yeah. I’ve got some research that Jim requested yesterday. You won.”

Pam shook her head. “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” she said, blushing and pushing her bangs behind her ear.

Just as Kevin was about to explain to her, Toby walked in and greeted them. Pam prayed a silent thank you and greeted Toby.

“Hey, Toby. How are you doing?”

He reached for the coffee pot and topped his cup off. “Good. How’s everything with you?”

“Good. Um, didn’t you need me to help you with those faxes earlier?” Pam asked, wide eyed and hoping he got the hint. Toby looked up and shook his head. Then he played along when he caught Pam’s gaze pleading with him.

“Uh…oh, yeah. Why don’t you follow me back to my desk and I’ll get them for you,” he said, leading her towards the door and over to her desk. They left Kevin to giggle all by himself.

Pam breathed a sigh of relief after the door to the annex shut behind them. “Thank you!” she said, exasperated. “I don’t know what his deal is.”

“I understand,“ Toby said as he sat down in his chair. He put his coffee cup down and adjusted his tie then looked up at Pam standing over him. Pam smiled. “Thanks again, I guess I’m going to try to get back to the phones,” she said, looking to see if Kevin was still standing in the kitchen.

“Oh, hey, while I have you here. I need to ask you about your relationship with Jim. I heard-”

“From who?” she asked, playing with her necklace.

Toby leaned forward and pointed to the annex wall the separated him and Kelly. Pam rolled her eyes. Toby continued, “All relationships need to be filed with H.R.”

Pam nodded. “Yeah, I know. It’s just…right now, I’m not sure what we are. It’s complicated. So, if anything-”

Toby’s eyebrows shot up. “Oh, so you’re not dating Jim?”

Pam looked to her feet. “Well, uh, like I said…it’s complicated right now. Well, not really complicated…it’s just not…final,” Pam rambled on. Truth be told, she didn’t really know what they were at this point. By the way last night had went, she could assume they were headed to more than a good friendship. “You know what? When I know what we are, I’ll let you know.”

Toby dropped his gaze and said somberly, “Great.”

“Don’t worry…we won’t hide it like some people-” Pam said, then slapped a hand over her mouth.

“Are they‘re people in this office having a secret relationship?” Toby asked, intrigued.

“No one that I know of. I was just generally speaking. But, we won’t. That’s not us. If I’m in a relationship, you’ll be the first to know. Well, not the first…but, you’ll know…okay. I’m rambling on so, I’m just gonna get back to work.”

“Bye, Pam,” he said, giving a little wave as she walked through the kitchen door.

When Pam came back into the office, neither Jim or Karen were at their desks. She figured he had asked to speak with her. Sure enough, when she looked over at the conference room door, she saw them sitting across from one another, talking. Pam hoped that everything could be resolved in a peaceful manner.

Moments later, they both emerged from the conference room. Before Jim got back to his seat, Pam cleared her throat and Jim knew to make his way to reception. He stopped at the desk and tapped the counter lightly with his fingers.

She quietly asked, “What’s this list that Kevin has?”

Jim chuckled. “Long story. I’ll fill you in at dinner.”

“Are you sure? Because he seemed to think I was going to be getting lucky sometime soon,” she said, holding in her laughter.

Surprised, Jim let out a nervous chuckle. “Uh. Maybe I need to get that list from Kev and review it. He seems like he knows what he’s talking about,” Jim said, looking over his shoulder towards accounting.

Pam giggled. “Oh, he knows all about the pity sex,” Pam said, remembering his response to Michael‘s spiel from earlier. Jim hunched his shoulders as he leaned on the counter and laughed. “I know!” he exclaimed. “We’ll have some interesting questions to ask him later. For now, I need to get back to making sales so I can pay for this date.”

“Okay,” Pam said, smiling and looking down at her monitor.

Dwight eyed Jim as he sat down at his desk. Jim pretended to be busy working on his computer while Dwight tried to get his attention by making weird noises in the back of his throat. As Dwight started to resort to bird calls, Jim amusingly looked up.

“Is there a bird in here?” Jim asked, looking up at the ceiling.

Dwight whispered low. “No. That was me.”

Jim leaned closer towards Dwight but kept his voice at talking level. “What did you say?”

Dwight continued to whisper through his teeth. “It was me!”

“You gotta pee? The bathrooms that way,” Jim said, leaning back in his chair and pointing towards the restrooms.

“No! I made the bird call,” Dwight said, still whispering and getting angry.

“Why would you do that?” Jim asked, mocking him.

“I have a question for you,” he said, still at a whisper. “Will I be getting any assignments soon from…” Dwight started, darting his eyes to possible eavesdroppers. “….you know…who?”

“Voldemort?” Jim asked, squinting his eyes as he pondered.

“That’s ‘He who must not be named.’ Not ‘you know who.’”

“Oh, I guess I’m confused by your question then,” Jim said, noticing Dwight getting irritated.

“What we spoke of…last night,” Dwight said, nodding, as if Jim would pick up on what he was saying easier with the nod.

Jim then responded, “I don’t know what your talking about. You must have really weird dreams because… we didn’t talk last night.”

“Whatever, Jim. I saw you….last night…with Pam,” Dwight said, articulating every phrase.

Jim put a finger up to his chin in wonderment. He then turned to Pam and asked, “Did we see Dwight last night by any chance. I don’t remember that.”

Pam looked up from her monitor. She shook her head as she peered up at Dwight. “Nope.”

Jim faced Dwight again. “I guess not. Huh, that’s weird. Maybe you should see a doctor.”

“Stop! I know I saw you in the parking lot last night. We had that discussion about…the secret mission.”

Jim shook his head again. “What secret mission?” Jim turned his head slightly as her heard Pam’s muffled giggles from behind the reception counter.

“Come on, Jim! Stop playing games with me!” Dwight said, almost shouting. Then Dwight’s expression quickly changed. Dwight obviously had figured out that Jim was playing another joke on him. His demeanor quickly changed to anger as he balled his hands into fists on his desk.

“Hey!” he yelled. “You were lying!”

Jim smiled and turned to Pam to acknowledge that they’re prank had been successful. She gave him and tiny bow of her head and he did the same.

“Jim! You are not assistant manager material. I cannot believe you would sink that low to pick on your inferiors. I’m reporting you!” Dwight said, before he stood to his feet.

Uncrossing his arms from over his chest, Jim raised a hand to stop Dwight. “Whoa. You just said you were my inferior-”

Dwight, obviously shaken, tried to take back his statement. “I didn’t mean you were my subordinate, Jim. I’m clearly more responsible than you and deserve to be in your position. Plus, I’m older.”

“You’re right. Just how old are you, Dwight?”

Dwight was raging. “That’s it. I would report this to Toby but he can’t be trusted. So, it looks like I’m going to have to call Jan.”

Jim swiveled back and forth in his chair. He was obviously enjoying this little riff with Dwight. “Don’t want to be the downer here Dwight but, Jan was fired, remember? Looks like you have to report to Ryan on this one.”

Dwight’s eyes went wide and he was visibly shaken by Jim’s taunting. “I will never report to Ryan Howard. He has no clue what he’s doing!”

“Well, he did get the corporate job…that you weren’t even considered for,” Jim added.

That was the final straw for Dwight. He quickly found the kitchen door and pushed through it forcefully. Jim smiled in satisfaction and caught another glance from Pam before focusing on his call list for the afternoon.

 

End Notes:
I know this might seem a little lacking in the JAM department, but I promise, next chapter we see a close to the 'aftermath'. So, review it, comment, read it again, rec it, and then....wait for the last chapter to be posted. See you in few days, dreamers!
Three Words by BeckySue
Author's Notes:

So here is the final chapter! I'm so happy to get this out...but, it's sad to see it end. I hope you've all enjoyed my take on the post-Job opportunity. Thanks for sticking with it and reviewing. Please rec this everywhere and review.

So, if you've noticed, most of my chapters are based on song titles or lyrics and those are the songs that inspired each chapter. If you ever come back to read this again, listen to those songs as you read. It helps get you into the mood for the story.

This chapter doesnt have a song title for the chapter but one that I think that sums up this story/JAM's future would be Maroon 5's "Sunday Morning". Check it out.

So, a million gold stars to my superbeta, WildBerryJam for the awesome job. Seriously, if you ever get a chance to work with this gal, you're blessed. And, WildBerryJam, you may take the cape off until I get something else to work on. Take this as your own little sabatical. Thank you muchly.

Last but not least, thanks to the readers, authors, recc'ers, and reviewers here at MTT! You guys are great and I thank you all for daring to inspire and giving generously.

Now, commence your reading....

 

"You’re too bad," Pam giggled, as Jim leaned over the reception desk.

"Dwight is just too easy to pick on. Oh, and fantastic job following along," Jim said, referencing Pam’s play along in Jim’s prank on Dwight. Jim had sauntered over to the reception desk after Dwight marched off in anger.

Jim looked down at the paper clip he was playing with in his hand. Pam typed on her key board between giggles and glances in his direction. At one point, Jim had checked the time on his watch more than three times.

Pam had noticed. "Are you ready to get out of here, Halpert?" she asked, looking up through her lashes.

Just as Jim was about to answer, Michael came trotting through the office. "What are you two kids up to? Anyone got plans for the evening?" he asked, standing next to Jim at reception.

Jim and Pam glanced towards one another. Jim turned his head towards Michael and smiled. "Yeah, I got a date tonight," he said, still toying with the paper clip.

Michael let out a sleazy smile. "Ohhh. Gonna get your freak on, huh?"

Jim choked on nothing in particular and then tried to change the subject, "How’s Jan?"

Michael rolled his eyes. "I don’t want to talk about it."

"Michael, if you just had listened to our advice, you wouldn’t be in this situation," Pam said from behind the reception counter.

Michael shifted and pushed himself off the counter. "I was confused. Women just send mixed signals. There needs to be a dictionary that us men can refer to. A handbook of some sort, maybe," he said, getting a gleam in his eye as he started to open his mouth again.

Pam already knew where he was going with his statement. She blatantly stated "No," before he could ask her to start such an insane project.

"Oh, come on, Pam! It’ll be a big hit! All the guys in the office would buy one. Wouldn’t you, Jim?" Michael asked, looking at Jim.

Jim shook his head and looked down to Pam. "Nope."

"Why not? Don’t you ever wonder what women really mean when they say something?" Michael said, glancing between Jim and Pam.

Jim put the paper clip down and Pam slid it across the counter and placed it in its holder as Jim spoke with Michael. "I don’t need a dictionary. I just ask if I didn’t pick up what she meant."

"Even when she is hinting about naughty bedroom stuff and you’re confused?" Michael asked as Jim uncomfortably shifted.

Jim quietly responded, "Well, I‘m not usually confused about that."

Michael smiled and nodded. "Ahhh," he said, turning to go back towards his office. "Jim Halpert is a ladies man, everybody!" he hollered to no one in particular. Phyllis turned in her chair and smiled in Jim’s direction and Karen watched as she did.

Jim cocked his head in Pam’s direction and shrugged. "I think he might be right," he said, pointing over his shoulder towards Michael.

"He’s not the only one who thinks that," Pam said, typing on her keyboard.

Jim was intrigued. "Oh, really? Who else would even fathom that I’m a ladies man?"

"Kevin," Pam deadpanned. She then burst into laughter as she saw Jim’s smile.

-----

After Michael had received an urgent call from Jan, he rushed out of the office early. Pam quietly asked why he was going to leave even though he can’t stand Jan’s presence in his home. He just responded with, "Gotta please the woman," and turned on his heel to go.

Most of the office had filed out after Michael left. After all, it was a Friday evening and the office had held too many exciting and tiring moments for one day to stay much longer. Dwight rebutted as some coworkers started to gather their things.

"Our work hours are from nine to five! Not nine to four forty-three."

Stanley grumbled and walked past Dwight, who was standing near the office door. Dwight watched silently as he passed and looked back towards the office.

"I’ll tell Michael!" Dwight threatened. Oscar and Phyllis chuckled as they packed up their things.

As Dwight stood with his chest puffed out, Jim walked passed him towards the coat rack. Of course, Dwight’s eyes followed Jim’s moves.

"And, just where are you going, Jim?"

"I‘m going shopping for some fatigues actually," he said, pulling his jacket off the rack. He looked to Pam, who was sliding her purse strap on her shoulder.

"Sure. Why would you….never mind," Dwight mumbled before walking towards his desk and receiving a glare from Angela, who was lurking near the accounting department.

Jim motioned with his head for Pam to follow him down to the parking lot. They walked out of the office leaving Dwight, Angela and Karen behind.

Once out of the office, Jim sighed and found the elevator button. He looked down at Pam. She was standing close to him and staring directly ahead waiting for the doors to slide open. She let out a sigh of her own.

"Fatigues?" Pam asked.

"You always gotta keep him on his toes. See, now I won’t have to hardly do anything. He’ll concoct his own story out of that little phrase."

"So, true. You really are the king."

"I know," he said, taking a faux bow. "So…crazy day, huh?" he asked, seeming nervous again.

Pam looked up. "Yeah. First, Ryan getting the promotion, Michael filling us in on his problems with Jan, and now Dwight, trying to rule the office again." Even though Pam started to feel the nervousness pick back up, she tried to fight through it with meaningless conversation. It was in these moments alone with Jim that made her feel happy and yet, she felt nervous and uneasy about crossing any more lines. Just keep talking, she told herself.

Jim had apparently picked up that she was hesitant and distant. He smiled and then started to laugh. She looked up curious at why he was laughing at her. He had caught her in her befuddled state.

"What’s so funny?" she asked, stepping off the elevator. He followed her, still cracked up.

"It’s just….your face when something’s bothering you."

"Oh, you’re laughing at my face. Thanks," she said, rolling her eyes and walking away from him quickly.

He caught up to her. "No, it’s not your face. It’s just…I can’t understand why you’re still nervous," he said, holding on to his messenger bag strap over his shoulder.

Pam stopped in the middle of the parking lot. "I don’t know why I keep feeling like this. Is there something wrong with me?" she asked, toying with her necklace.

"Yes," he said.

Pam was taken aback with confusion. He had just told her there was something wrong with her. "Please explain," she said, shifting her weight to her other foot.

"You’re going out with me. After I just broke up with my girlfriend yesterday. There has got to be something insanely wrong with you, Beesly," he stated, with a grin curling on his lips.

She nodded. "Yeah. You‘re right…I think I know exactly what‘s wrong with me," she said, continuing her walk towards her car. She knew what was wrong with her. She was head over heels for him and she was scared to admit it. That’s why she had been nervous last night and today. Things were fine when they were just talking or being friendly, but when it came down to it, she was flat out nervous about being perfectly in love with someone that loved her back.

Jim didn’t respond to her statement. Instead, he followed her to her car, quietly. Pam stopped by the back end of her car and dug in her purse for her keys. Jim stood there, in the nearly empty parking lot, watching Pam uncomfortably dig through her belongings. He spoke before the silence could envelop them.

"I should have kissed you last night," he said, causing her head to pop up and her eyes stare into his.

"Huh?" she said, her hand stilled inside her purse.

"I should have-"

She interrupted. "I know what you said," she said, with a smile peeking through.

Pam had heard him loud and clear. He wanted to kiss her last night and she hoped that he would have. She was fine with the perfect hug they had shared but when he mentioned him kissing her, it made her ache for just that; a kiss from him.

"I hope you understand that I didn’t want to…pressure you in any way. And, like I said on the phone last night, I was feeling guilty for hopping from one girl to the other in one day."

Pam nodded with her mouth hanging open just a bit as she looked up at him. "That’s understandable," she agreed. "Thank you for being considerate."

Jim shifted on his feet just like Pam had done a few minutes ago. Pam could tell he was feeling uneasy as well. "I really should have kissed you last night," he repeated, looking deep into her eyes.

Pam smiled. "You already said that."

Jim smiled back. "I know. If I keep telling myself that, I might just actually do it," he sighed.

Pam looked down at her feet and then around to the parking lot. Karen’s vehicle still sat in the corner of the lot and of course, Dwight and Angela’s cars were parked side by side.

"I’m fine with that," she said, bringing her gaze back to his.

Nodding in reply, he said, "Good to know."

Pam grasped her keys and pulled them from her purse. She let her hands fall to her sides and she swayed a little. They had another quiet moment where they just smiled at one another.

"So, would it be completely awful of me not to care if I’m pressuring you? ‘Cause, I’m going to kiss you tonight," he said, shoving his hands in his pockets.

Pam blushed. She then licked her lips and took a step closer towards him. "Why wait when we’re more than ready, Jim?"

Jim smiled as she closed the gap between them. Her hands found his arms and gently ran them up his sleeves. He looked down at her watching her hands find his forearms, his biceps, his shoulders, and then to their final resting place, the back of his neck. His hands quickly found her waist and rest there as she melted into him again.

At first, it was just an embrace and that’s all that Jim had expected. She had made the first move after the mention of a kiss, but when she didn’t go for it right away, he had assumed she had reconsidered.

Pam’s arms were tightly pulling him into her and his scent was intoxicating her senses. She stood on shaky ground as she felt his warms hands find her waist. She felt that he didn’t move them one inch from that spot and his breath was hot on the side of her cheek. It was as if her vision had failed her and all her other senses were picking up the slack.

Touch was telling her that he was there and that he wanted her just as much as she wanted him. Her smell was dizzying her with an overwhelming scent of aftershave and the crisp clean air that surrounded them. She could hear him breathing heavy and low and she could almost swear she could even hear his heartbeat.

They stood there nestled next to one another just like they had the night before in his living room. It was almost as they needed the reminder that they both needed each other to feel that way. They both wanted to be close and that’s all that was needed; nearness. Pam tilted her head upward and their cheeks rested against one another’s.

Not only did feel like she needed to tell him everything she had been feeling for the past three years, she wanted to feel his lips on her again. She needed to be reminded. So, Pam knew what she had to do.

She opened her tightly closed eyes and all she could see was his collar and a few wisps of his hair. She breathed lightly in his ear before finally mustering up her words.

"Jim, for the longest time...I’ve loved you,’ she said quietly next to his ear.

Jim’s arms tightened around her and pulled her even closer to his chest. Pam could feel him taking in a deep breath and releasing it.

"I love you," she whispered for only his ears to hear. He tightened his arms around her again and this time felt like if he did it again, she might just vanish into him or disappear. It wasn’t uncomfortable or uneasy being in his arms; it was just right. Just the right place for her to be.

"God, I love you too," he finally sighed next to her ear. His arms loosened around her and she felt herself missing it already. She stayed there, up against him, her hands at the base of his neck and her fingers just barely touching the edge of his hairline.

Just as he loosened his embrace around her, Pam could feel Jim’s slight stubble move across her cheek and then his lips press against hers. It was soft and sweet. No frills, no rough. Just tentative and loving. His lips lightly brushed over hers as he started to pull away. Instead of accepting the fact that he was moving away from her, she kept her arms locked around him and pulled him in for another kiss.

She eagerly stood on the tips of her toes and brought her lips to his. He didn’t resist; he welcomed her kiss with a ferocity. Neither wanted it to end.

"Ahem," Pam heard.

She opened her eyes and looked up at Jim. "What?" she asked, with a smile emitting from deep inside.

"What?" he asked, as confused as she was.

"Are you two hooking up?" they heard behind them.

As the stepped away from each other and looked behind them, Ryan was standing there with an empty box in his arms. Shocked, Pam stepped backwards, behind Jim.

"No," Jim answered. "We’re dating," he finished.

Inside, Pam beamed. Now it was clear to her. She felt relief cleanse her doubt as she heard his words correct Ryan. She then thought, I can now tell Toby what we are.

"Oh. You dumped Karen?" Ryan asked, his eyes shooting upwards.

Jim shifted on his feet and then corrected Ryan again. "I didn’t just dump her…we broke up," he said, then looked around the parking lot.

"Oh," Ryan said and then walked towards the office door.

Jim and Pam looked back to one another once Ryan was inside the building. He was apparently back to finish getting his things since Michael had left.

Pam looked down at her shoes before looking back up to see Jim staring at her. Pam pushed her stray hair behind her ear. She gazed at Jim’s red and swollen lips and smiled.

"So, I guess I‘ll leave you to get ready for dinner," Jim said, grabbing her hand and then releasing it as he stepped backwards. "I’ll see you in an hour or so."

Pam nodded. "See you then," she said quietly as she watched him walk towards his car. Her eyes followed him get into his car and then leave the Dunder Mifflin parking lot. She stood there with a smile- the one that can cover the expanse of the universe- and kept replaying the last 24 hours in her head. Pam finally broke out of her trance and walked over to her door. Before she got into her car, she caught a glimpse of Karen walking towards her car with a large box full of personal items.

The old Pam would have hurried into her car and forgotten what had happened between them. The new Pam didn’t budge from her spot and when their eyes met, gave her a little nod and smile. Karen reciprocated with a nod of her own and that was all that Pam needed.

She sat down in her car, relaxed, grabbed the steering wheel, and then started her car while thoughts ran through her mind. For what seemed like an eternity of waiting and patience, she was surprised by their self control. It had been a long, painful journey for the both of them and now, they were both happy.

Here she was, going home to get ready for a date with Jim. Her Jim. And, he would come over, pick her up, take her out, and then they would probably end up at her apartment afterwards. Her face flushed thinking about all the possibilities this night had in store for them.

As she pulled up next to the exit and looked both ways, her own words from earlier echoed in her head.

Why wait when we’re more than ready?

She took another glance out over the road in front of her and for the second time in two days, Pam turned her car to the right, instead of the left.

 

 

End Notes:

Viola! It's finished. So, you all know what to do, right? Click that review button and leave me a little somethin' somethin'. Thank you again for your faithfulness in reading and reviewing. Now, tell someone else to read this fic!

This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1933