Bullies by UnWritten007
Summary:

"I don't like bullies."  A deeper look in to Jim's dislike for certain bullies and his relationships with certain co-workers...


Categories: Jim and Pam, Present, Past, Future Characters: Angela, Dwight, Jim/Karen, Jim/Pam, Mark, Michael, Pam/Roy, Roy, Todd Packer
Genres: Childhood, Romance, Workdays
Warnings: No Warnings Apply
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 2706 Read: 11665 Published: June 22, 2007 Updated: June 22, 2007
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. Sweet Sixteen by UnWritten007

2. Co-workers, frogs and princesses by UnWritten007

3. Power Play by UnWritten007

4. No bully here by UnWritten007

5. Life is good by UnWritten007

Sweet Sixteen by UnWritten007
Author's Notes:

Just a bunch of little chapters strung together to create a bit of a different fic.

"Hey, you alright man?"

Jim had his "I'm trying to look just fine but really, I'm so furious you better not get in my way" scowl on again, which always meant something had gone wrong. And Mark was pretty sure he had a good idea what had happened.

"I'm fine."

The same reply that was always given.

"Your dad again?"

Jim's eyes flashed in anger at his friend and neighbor. "He's not my dad. He's a bully."

Mark picked up the basketball that was laying in the grass and started to dribble it. Jim's step father had a bad temper and tended to pick on Jim about everything some days. His mother would also get the brunt of it, which Jim couldn't stand. It wasn't physical, just emotional. Mental. Damaging all the same.

Jim was sixteen now. He had just earned his licence, something he was happy about. It meant freedom. But it was for him, not his mother. Why couldn't she see that she picked a bad guy? She loved him dearly and tended to skip over his faults. Well, Jim sure didn't.

"Play?" Mark asked, spinning the orange ball on the tip of his finger.

Surprising enough, Jim just shook his head. Usually, he'd allow Mark to challenge him, take his mind off of his steaming anger. Not today.

Instead, he sat down in the grass, running his hand over the short blades, his eyes reduced to slits, lost in thought. "I don't like bullies." He said softly.

Mark was by no means a sensitive guy, but that sad kid pulled at his heart. Depressed now too, he headed back home. Jim would want to be left alone anyway.

XxXxXxX

Co-workers, frogs and princesses by UnWritten007

Jim had an extreme dislike for Todd Packer. There was just something about him that rubbed the wrong way. Maybe it was his annoying overly large personality. Or that he just assumed everyone loved his jokes that tended to offend rather than entertain. He thought only of himself and too much so. None of these traits were attractive to Jim's mind.

 

Today, it seemed like a convention of people that Jim just didn't like. Not only was Packer visiting, but he had turned Michael in to his pet idiot. Sometimes, Jim really liked Michael. Connected with him, even. But too often, his boss would go off course a little too far. His practical jokes, although well intended, too often hurt his employees. He never really thought about anyone's feelings. Jim wasn't fond of that either. Yet he couldn't dislike Michael too much - his boss just seemed so...innocent, in some ways. Like he was only trying to cheer people up - he didn't really understand that his motives could be hurtful. Even so, Jim could never commit to anything near a friendship with the man.

Since Packer had taken over with Michael, Dwight had to show off extra hard to get attention. Talk about the King of annoyances, this was the one person Jim couldn't stand at any time. In fact, he visited the chiropractor every other month from large knots forming in his muscles, especially in his shoulders. His doctor was always quite fascinated with how quickly Jim's body showed stress and usually asked why. Jim would shrug, but he knew. The reason was carrying on in front of him.

Dwight was just plain annoying in a way that even Packer had yet to reach. Though he seemed to never really understand the impact of his ways, Dwight wasn't as innocent as Michael sometimes tended to be. Dwight knew what brushed Jim the wrong way and picked on those spots as much as possible. No, he was definitely not a person Jim was fond of at all.

"Hey Jim." Pam's sweet voice sounded in his ear before her body materialized for his eyes. He hadn't seen her walk over or heard her approach.

"You're giving Packer and Dwight the death glare. You okay?"

 

Jim picked up a pencil and played with it between his fingers, creating a distraction to his busy mind. "Uh, yeah. I was just thinking about..." He couldn't think of any good excuses, so he just looked up and smiled at her.

In an office filled with people he wasn't fond of, from geek central to disapproving Angela, Pam was the one person that lit up his day and made everything better. Her smile, her shining approval, her friendship - it touched him deeper than she could ever know. Obviously, she wasn't bound to pick up on that vibe any time soon.

His gaze traveled down her arm and landed on her ring finger. The mark of hell upon an angel so dear. She was getting married. To a man who didn't appreciate her and took her for granted, despite how wonderful she was.

Jim greatly disliked Packer. Couldn't stand Dwight and Michael. But he hated Roy for his blindness. How could he take for granted a woman who was so desperately trying to hold on to their shallow love?

How could Roy win over the woman Jim so loved? How could he treat her poorly when Jim would die for just a chance to treat her like a princess?

All in. Jim had placed his heart on a platter and offered it to Pam in the parking lot one late, casino night. He had gone all in - and been painfully denied.

At first, he had been atonished and a bit ashamed when the tears jerked in his eyes at her refusal. Jim Halpert never cried. It was a basic rule for him.

The last time he cried was when he moved out of the house. When he begged his mother to move out too. He had shred tears for his protest. When he lost, he vowed never to make such a foolish display of himself.

But that night, his eyes couldn't help themselves. After being cold and dry for so long, the searing pain ripping through his heart had been too much. He had put so much hope in to his confession that it had been too painful to stop the tears.

"Jim?"

Pulled back to the present, he tried to gather his scrambled thoughts together. What had he been thinking about before his Roy hate rant and the journey down the Pam relationship lane?

His eyes landed on Packer, punching Ryan's shoulder with a laugh right in the temp's face. Oh yes, that's what he had been thinking on.

"I don't like bullies." Jim said lightly, glaring over at Packer. Then he stood up and headed to the break room, ignoring the fact that lunch was still an hour away.

XXxXXxXXxXXxXXxXXxXXxXXxXXxXX

Power Play by UnWritten007

He watched Karen cross the room. Her hips swayed, a devilish look upon her lips. But the seductice walk wasn't for him - it was an act for Pam. Karen thought he didn't catch on to her little power play against the receptionist, but he had.

His girlfriend walked over to him, then ran her fingers along the ridge of his shoulders, moving on to pass the reception desk. She would have done much more, Jim knew, had he not had her agree that there shouldn't be any public displays of affection in the office. She had retorted, "Not even lovey-dovy eyes?" in a too sugary sweet voice. At first, he thought she was still talking about them. No, now he saw she was talking about him - and Pam. He supposed it didn't help her ego when he replied with a wry grin, "Well, maybe that."

 

His roomate, best friend and former neighbor had questioned him one night after meeting Karen. "I can't believe the two of you are together."

Jim knew his friend well - there must be a comedic stand coming up. "Because she's beautiful and sophisticated and everything that I'm not?" He guessed.

"Well yeah, of course. But also...she's just not your type." Instead of cracking jokes, Mark looked serious.

Jim tried to pull off a confused look, but he had inwardly knew this was coming all along. Mark just knew him too well for either of their own good.

"She's bossy, man. I mean, you couldn't get through the meal without her putting a napkin on your lap, then scolding you when you dropped any food or got something on your mouth...she was pretty controlling." There was more, but Mark was holding back. He had taken note in his surprise when Karen had started trashing some unknown girl that walked by their table for what she was wearing. Come on, where's the humor in that? Jim didn't like girls who did that.

"She's okay." It was a weak defense, but all that came in the response.

"But why her? I mean, I get that she's a knock out and all, but usually that doesn't matter to you. Why now? Why her?"

Jim toyed with his bottom lip for a moment with his front teeth, lost in thought. Finally, as he stared intensely at the wall in front of him, he replied, "She's different."

"Different from what? And is that such a good thing?"

Jim's mouth lost any trace of a smile. His eyes seemed to sink back in his soul, depressed and sadden. "She different from..." He shrugged. "Maybe I'll have a chance at this one."

She was different from Pam, the woman who had refused him. Mark understood well. And remembered all that time that Jim had been so upset for. So....sullen.

"You know, Pam's not married. Maybe..."

 

Jim came to life suddenly, a violent look in his eye. "No."

Pam had killed him. He had loved her, trusted her, thought she was perfect and everything he ever wanted. He had offered his heart, she had returned it crushed and lifeless. He couldn't forgive her yet. For what he thought was leading him on for so long. For wanting to marry some careless jerk instead of him.

Therefore, he was trying to move on. Trying to be blind to the fact that it just wasn't working. He was still hung up over Pam and only getting angrier at all three of them - himself and the two women - for the fact that things just weren't working out the way he wanted.

Still, he was trying. He didn't want to stay mad at Pam forever. Maybe Karen could somehow make him forget. If he tried hard enough, it had to happen. It was bound to be that.

He didn't want to be angry at her. He knew Pam could see it. And he certainly didn't want to be hurting her.

"I don't want to be a bully. So I'm dating Karen."

XXxXXXxxXXXXxxxXXXXXxxxxXXXXXXxxxxxXXXXXXXxxxxxx

No bully here by UnWritten007

Pam stood in front of him, the fire pit that wasn't too far away illuminating her face.

He had watched her transformation for a while now. From a little mouse who didn't know how to speak up if a shoe was about to drop on it to a brave woman, hell bent on getting what she wanted.

She was tired of being pushed around and not noticed. Of being taken for granted. So she was stepping over to the other side.

Tonight, in front of everyone, she was telling him what's what with them. She was demanding that she know what was going on with him - she wasn't going to take anymore of his act.

Surprisingly enough, Jim liked the change. Pam was one of the rare people who knew how to get what she wanted without being a bully. Without hurting others. She could still be on top without anyone getting injured on the way up.

He admired that. It was something that even he struggled with often.

Everyone was staring at her. Staring at them. He could see Kelly's mouth clearly opened in visible surprise. He could feel Angela's intrigued glare burning through the side of his head.

He was proud of his buddy, his love. He didn't even mind that Karen looked like she was casting a death wish upon the lonely receptionist.

He loved Pam. He always knew, but finally, he was beginning to accept it again. To unlock his tightly walled up heart. To understand. He still loved her. He loved how pure and caring and sweet she was.

 

He loved Pam. Even when she was angry, hurt or just trying to get her fair share, she was no bully.

XxXxXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxXxXxX

Life is good by UnWritten007

"So you finally did it. Congrats, man. I'm proud. By the way, your mom called."

Jim threw his keys in to a bowl near the door then laid down on the sofa. "What did she say?"

"She wants you to come over. Says she's redecorating and could use some help. It'll be a good time to let her know about you - know - what."

Jim mentally noted to call his mother back tomorrow to help her during the weekend. It was something he was used to and usually even enjoyed. His mother was getting older in age now and she tended to need aid in such things as her biggest hobby - redecorating. Since she's been living on her own for quite a few years now, it was up to Jim to lend a hand when she was out of a sweetheart. And Mark, who occassionally tagged along for a reunion of his childhood neighborhood.

"I think it might be too soon."

"Too soon for what? To tell her? That's stupid. Why would it be?"

Jim shrugged, though he knew Mark couldn't see him. "It just happened tonight. Isn't it bad luck to spread the news so soon?"

Mark laughed. "You proposed what, half hour ago? Pam's already called all her friends, family and everyone she ever knew from day one. In the next five minutes, she'll start looking up reverends. That's how all women are. And not every marriage is doomed because of it."

Grinning, Jim replayed the moments of the evening. Proposing to Pam. Her face lighting up. Her shaky voice saying yes as her eyes began to water. Slipping his ring on her slender finger. He'd never been so happy in his life.

Today had been the perfect day. Michael and Dwight had taken the day off to do out-of-the-office work. Angela kept her prying eyes behind her wall. Kelly's mouth jabbered far away from him. And he got a clear view to sit and stare at his beloved all day long, without the interruption of a single call to him all day.

He hadn't gotten a stitch of work done. This love stuff was really getting in the way of his daily office progress. But that was okay, he didn't mind and so far, he's been able to get away with it.

 

Today was a day filled with his happiness with the anticipation of that night. And the fact that it was a bully-free day hadn't hurt all that much either.

Yet it was starting to not bother him anymore. He was too distracted with Pam to care about Dwight trying to get under his skin or Michael failing to amuse him. Oh, he was plenty amused without his boss and there was nothing that could really bring him down from that.

Mark saw the smile creep on to Jim's face and knew what it was for. His roommate didn't tell him everything, but he had learned to tell what was going on when Jim was silent. The signs were there. And he knew the words going through his friend's head now. If Jim wanted to remain silent, that was okay. Didn't meant Mark couldn't say it.

Flipping on the tv, Mark sat down at the edge of the sofa, locking his fingers together before putting them at the back of his head to recline. "Life is good, Jim. Remember these times."

You could bet, Jim would surely remember this time of his life.

XxXxX

This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2113