Can't Go Back by shan21
Past Featured StorySummary:

Post-Benihana Christmas fic!

Remember when Jim and Pam convinced Dwight that a CIA helicopter would pick him up on the roof? Well, neither of them could resist showing up that night to see the prank to it's conclusion.


Categories: Jim and Pam, Episode Related Characters: Dwight, Jim/Karen, Jim/Pam
Genres: Angst, Romance
Warnings: Adult language, Moderate sexual content
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 12284 Read: 23994 Published: October 14, 2007 Updated: September 21, 2008
Story Notes:
I’m over the moon that PB&J are together and happy, but I love writing angst (that leads to ‘together and happy’). So this story feeds that need.

1. The Setup by shan21

2. The Chase by shan21

3. Rising Action by shan21

4. Climax by shan21

The Setup by shan21
Author's Notes:

Firstly, thanks to SixFlightsUp and uncgirl for beings awesome betas :)

Okay, I know that right now in season 4 Jim and Pam are in a happy bubble of lurve, but try to put yourself back in the mindset of Benihana Christmas:

Jim has been back in Scranton for a month or two. Karen and Pam have just finally become friends (having formed and then dissolved the Committee to Plan Parties together). Jim is trying desperately not to fall back into his old ways from season two. He wants to start over. Jim just talked to Michael about rebounds. Karen does not yet know that Jim had “a thing” for Pam or that they kissed.

All set? Back in the angsty mindset? Good! Ready, set, go!

Chapter 1: The Setup

He barely notices the sound of Angela’s voice as she continues to sing that god-awful rendition of “The Little Drummer Boy.” He can’t pull his eyes from the sight of Pam standing in the break room with Roy. She actually gave him a hug.

A hug.

What exactly did he give her for Christmas that warranted a hug? And more importantly, just what is Roy doing giving Christmas gifts to his ex-fiancée anyways? And did Pam get anything for Roy?

He is jolted from his inner monologue by Karen’s voice.

“Hey,” she greets him, nudging him gently so that he’ll move over a bit on the desk he is leaning against. Soon she’s leaning there next to him and she follows his line of sight to see what he was looking at.

“Oh, good! They’re talking!” she exclaims.

Wait a minute. Something does not compute here.

“What? Who?” Jim asks dumbly, praying that Karen was actually talking about Phyllis and Toby.

“Pam was flirting with that guy earlier today. I told her she should date him,” Karen says proudly.

“What did she say?” Jim asks, trying to keep the urgency out of his tone.

“She said maybe. I mean, from what little I know about Pam, she doesn’t seem like the type to take chances,” Karen says.

Jim holds back a bitter laugh.

“So I just figured that she’d just let this guy slip by, but apparently not,” Karen continues.

He grunts noncommittally, and Karen seems to take that as response enough.

Jim decides that he is definitely going to accept Pam’s Christmas gift. It has nothing to do with what he just saw in the break room, he assures himself. He had basically decided at Benihana that he was going to do it. He can’t pass up the opportunity to mess with Dwight. Yes, that’s it.

So as everybody leaves for the day, he hangs around Pam’s desk. She looks so happy when he fills her in on the plan that he feels almost like it’s last year and things are back to normal.

Together they send Dwight a covert message to wait on the roof of the building at 7:13 sharp, at which time a chopper will take him to Langley for emergency training and an ice cream social with the other agents. Pam has the stroke of genius to include that Dwight should bring with him anything that he would need to survive in the wild for six weeks.

He actually snorts when she suggests this addition, but after they share a laugh about it he feels sort of deflated. It kind of hurts because they used to do this all the time and it’s just been so long. He pushes the feeling away and they send the message before going their separate ways.

At 7:15 Jim rolls into the Dunder-Mifflin parking lot with his headlights off. He doesn’t want Dwight to catch sight of him and ruin the whole setup, after all. He had to be here to see it with his own eyes. What good is a prank if you can’t enjoy the fruits of your labor? He thinks about gaydar and sending faxes from the future, and how he had to fight the urge to drive the two and a half hours to Scranton then.

He puts the car in park and is about to scan the roof for Dwight when he’s startled by tapping at his window.

He jumps so forcefully that he thinks for a second he might get a bruise from the seatbelt that he has yet to take off. Whipping his head to the side he sees Pam at his window. She looks like she is trying desperately not to laugh.

“Pam! Were you trying to give me a heart attack?” he asks after he hits the button to roll his window down.

“I can’t believe you showed up too! He’s up there!” she says excitedly, motioning toward the roof.

Indeed he is. Jim catches the movement of a figure on the roof, and he sees an enormous rucksack thrown over the person’s shoulder.

Another noise startles him and he realizes that it’s Pam opening his passenger side door. She slides wordlessly into the seat next to him and closes the door behind her.

“How long have you been here?” he asks her.

“Since 7:00,” she whispers, although there isn’t really any point in whispering since Dwight can’t hear them in the car.

He just smiles and shakes his head.

“Are you judging me? Because I got to see him show up with his ginormous bag of survival supplies and lug it all up to the roof. So… suck it,” she says defiantly.

“No, it’s just… we both couldn’t stand the thought of not seeing the payoff,” Jim explains, still smiling.

Pam smiles back.

“Yeah, well… enjoy your present, Jim,” she says sweetly.

They both just watch Dwight amble around on the roof for a minute before Pam speaks again.

“So, Halpert… where’s my present?” she asks.

Jim feels a sudden twisting in his gut, and he stutters for some sort of an excuse.

“Uh. I—”

Pam’s smile disappears and all of a sudden she has those concerned eyes and that apologetic frown.

“Oh, no. I was just…”

“Kidding,” she finishes, at the same time that he says, “I’m a jerk.”

They laugh nervously and Pam looks up at him with another adorable smirk.

“You’re not a jerk,” she admonishes.

“I kind of am,” he replies.

“How?” she asks.

He immediately thinks of Karen and then of his talk with Michael about rebounds. He thinks about how he blew Pam off when she tried to give him his present, and when she asked him out for coffee a few weeks ago, and how he’s brushed her off a dozen other times in the past few weeks. But instead of saying any of that, he just smiles and shakes his head again, avoiding her question altogether.

“So, what did Roy get you?” he asks, partly because he’s been dying to know and partly because he wants to change the subject.

“Oh. Um, a book,” she replies. She seems surprised that he knows Roy got her anything.

“Nice,” he says, because he has to say something.

“On figure drawing,” she adds awkwardly.

He doesn’t really have anything else to say so he just sort of nods and she nods back and they sit in silence for a moment, watching Dwight continue to move around on the roof. Again it is Pam who breaks the silence.

“Karen is great.”

“Yeah. You guys really seemed to hit it off today,” he says conversationally.

She smiles, and he can tell that she genuinely had fun with Karen today.

“Yeah,” she says.

Then a thought occurs to him, and he can’t help the question that escapes his lips.

“Whose idea was it to merge the parties?”

“What?” she asks, confused about why he would be asking that, he guesses.

“It was nice. For Angela’s sake, I mean. Whose idea was it?”

He knows the answer. Only Pam would actually feel bad for Angela.

“That was a joint decision made by the now disbanded Committee to Plan Parties,” Pam replies diplomatically.

Jim grins and lets out a laugh that sounds sort of like a sigh.

“It was you though, wasn’t it? It was your idea,” he prods.

She doesn’t reply, but looks at him curiously, like she still can’t figure out why he wants to know.

“You’re so nice, Pam,” Jim says before he realizes how dumb it sounds.

Pam laughs and rolls her eyes.

“Karen’s nice too,” she says dismissively.

“Yeah,” he replies automatically, because sure Karen is nice, but she’s not Pam nice.

“How long are we going to make him wait?” Pam asks, and Jim redirects his attention to the roof, where Dwight has now begun to pace. He smiles again. So nice.

“It is pretty cold out there, isn’t it?” he concedes.

Pulling out Karen’s phone from his coat pocket, he starts to type a text message.

“What are you texting?” Pam asks. She sounds like a little kid and she tries to peek over at the screen. “And fancy phone!” she adds.

“It’s Karen’s Blackberry. Dwight knows my number. Unfortunately,” Jim explains.

“And apparently you know his,” Pam points out. “By heart I’m guessing, since I assume Karen doesn’t have Dwight’s number in her contact list.”

He doesn’t respond, because he has no way to defend himself from that. It’s true. He knows Dwight’s number by heart, just like he knows Dwight’s middle name. So sad.

“Oh, Jim. That is so sweet,” Pam says mockingly, clasping her hands and bringing them her chest dramatically.

“Shut up,” he grunts.

“I was worried that there was some sort of rift between the two of you since you aren’t sitting next to him anymore, but I can see that you still care,” she continues in a sugary tone.

You are hilarious,” he mutters.

“Thank you. What did you type?” she asks, craning her neck to see.

He lets her take the phone, and he feels a physical shock when her fingertips brush against his palms. Some insane part of him wants to snap his hand closed over hers, and he almost does, but he comes to his senses at the last moment. Their eyes lock for a split second, and he lets himself believe that she’s a little shaken by the contact too. She quickly averts her eyes when she inhales, he can swear he hears her breath hitch.

The moment passes and she makes a show of clearing her throat before she reads the message aloud.

“'‘You have been compromised. Abort mission.’ Excellent,” she says. Then it looks like a little light bulb went off over her head, because she gets a grin and types something else out before handing the Blackberry back to Jim. He finds himself feeling disappointed that she drops the phone into his hands so that there is no chance of accidental contact.

“‘Destroy phone?’” he reads incredulously.

“I’m not that nice,” Pam says. She is trying, and failing, to hold back a smirk.

“Apparently,” he replies, but he’s grinning back at her.

He hits send, and they wait with baited breath to see what happens. They watch as the figure on the roof checks his phone. Pam giggles, and Jim shushes her playfully. Then the figure winds up and chucks a small object clear into the next parking lot and Pam lets out something that is halfway between a laugh and a yelp.

Jim can’t help himself from gaping openly. This has turned out better than he could have hoped. He joins Pam in giddy laughter, but he’s more focused on her than he is on Dwight. He loves to watch her laugh. Her entire face changes. At work when nothing is going on she can look sort of world-weary, but say something that makes her smile and she turns into the most beautiful…

Stop it, he scolds himself. You have a girlfriend. What are you even doing here, sitting in a car with Pam when Karen is at her apartment thinking that you’re actually a decent boyfriend? Jerk.

“Oh my god,” Pam whispers suddenly.

“What?” Jim asks. He has the ridiculous thought that maybe she sensed what he was just thinking.

“He’s going to see us!” she exclaims.

Jim looks back at the roof and realizes that Dwight is no longer there. He’s on his way back to the parking lot. He turns back to Pam with wide eyes, and sees her reaching for the door.

“I have to go!” she squeaks, ready to make a mad dash for her own car.

Without thinking, Jim lunges over the center console. He throws his right hand on the back of Pam’s seat for support, and his other hand closes over her wrist.

She freezes, and looks at him in complete bewilderment, but he doesn’t back away. He stares right back into her startled eyes and tries to ignore the fact that she is so close that her breath is stirring the hair on his forehead.

“Pam, there’s no time,” he says urgently. He let’s go of her hand and leans back in his seat, feeling a bit breathless. “We’ve got to go. Now.”

End Notes:

This story should be 4 or 5 chapters total. I'm already halfway done with chapter 3, so you should get regular updates. Also, Dwight makes another appearance in chapter two.

Feedback makes my life.

The Chase by shan21
Author's Notes:
Hope you like this one. I got to write Dwight, which is just about my most favorite thing.

Chapter 2: The Chase  

 

“Pam, there’s no time,” he says urgently. He let’s go of her hand and leans back in his seat, feeling a bit breathless.  “We’ve got to go.  Now.”  

Without another word, he twists the key in the ignition and the engine roars to life.  It takes Pam a second to snap out of her daze. 

“But my car!” she says, pointing at her Yaris. 

“You’ll never get back to your car and pull out before Dwight comes out that front door,” Jim says reasonably, flipping on his headlights and shifting the car into gear. 

“But he’ll see my car in the parking lot and he’ll know I was here!” Pam protests, but she’s fastening her seatbelt as she speaks. 

“Maybe.  But that’s a chance we’ll have to take,” Jim says, locking eyes with her once more before he jams on the gas pedal. 

The car makes that burning rubber noise that all cars make in action movies, and Jim can’t help the rush of adrenaline it gives him.  He peeks in the rear view mirror just in time to see Dwight emerge from the building. 

“Wow.  I feel like a badass,” he admits, feeling goofy but not really caring.  This is Pam with him.  Why should he feel embarrassed? 

“Because your tires squealed?” Pam asks. 

“Yeah!” he says, perfectly aware that he sounds like a teenage boy. 

Such a dork,” Pam teases him. 

He looks over at her briefly and thinks again about how much he has missed this.  They drive for a minute in silence, but when they’re stopped at a red light, Pam speaks. 

“So Thelma, where are we going?” she asks. 

“You couldn’t have come up with a cooler driving duo than Thelma and Louise?” Jim says with mock disgust. 

“Where are we going… Starsky?” she tries. 

Jim makes a show of contemplating this new option, bringing his hand up to stroke an imaginary beard. 

“Worse,” he says decisively. 

He’s just stalling, really, because it’s clear that they could just loop back around to the parking lot.  Dwight is probably gone by now.  But Pam hasn’t suggested this and he doesn’t want to either, despite the fact that he knows he should.   

Karen.  Karen.  Karen.  He tries to repeat this mantra in his head, but it doesn’t work at all, not with Pam looking at him expectantly from his passenger seat. 

“We could go to Poor Richards,” he says finally. 

Pam nods approvingly. 

“For a victory drink,” she says. 

“I’ll even buy since I’m a jerk and didn’t get you a present,” Jim offers. 

“Oooh, so you’re getting me booze for Christmas?  I’m sorry, are you confusing me with Meredith?” Pam asks sarcastically.  She is trying to look offended, but all he can think is, God, she looks adorable. 

“Never,” he says.  They share a look and she must know that he’s thinking that he could never confuse her with anyone, because she’s Pam.  It feels a little too real, a little too intense so Jim does what he does best.  He makes a joke. 

“If I confuse you with anyone, it’s always Creed,” he says. 

The mood is broken and she snorts with laughter. 

“I get that a lot,” she replies.  

He parks outside Poor Richards and he can’t resist guiding her into the pub with his hand hovering over her lower back, just barely touching her.  They sit at a table close to the bar and decide to split some fries since Pam only had a salad for dinner and Jim can always go for fries. 

“I’ll order the fries and get our drinks,” he says, getting up from the table.  “What do you want? Wait, let me guess...” He pauses for effect.  “Something really girly and fruity.” 

He thinks of second drinks and spontaneous kisses before he can stop himself. 

“Rum and coke, thank you very much,” Pam says haughtily, arching her eyebrow in an Angela-esque way. 

“Wow, Pam. A grown up drink,” he replies. 

He turns to walk over to the bar, when Pam’s voice stops him. 

“Oh, but uh, make the rum the coconut flavored stuff,” she adds. 

He turns back to her and she’s trying to hide her smile. 

“And there it is,” Jim says in his best ‘I told you so’ tone. 

Pam just sticks out her tongue at him and Jim has to try hard to refocus his thoughts on Karen and how he loves that she drinks plain vodka martinis and other non-girly drinks. 

They sip their drinks and Pam admits that she already feels guilty about Dwight’s phone.  Jim gapes at her when tells him she’ll probably buy him a replacement. 

“Just a cheap one!” she insists.  “Maybe I’ll just buy a used one on Amazon.  I mean, his girlfriend is going to want to be able to call him.” 

Jim rolls his eyes. 

“Dwight does not have a girlfriend,” he says. 

“Oh, he does,” Pam says with conviction. 

Jim reels back a bit at this. 

“Wait a minute.  Pam, do you know the identity of Dwight’s mystery girlfriend?  Are you telling me that she’s not just a figment of Dwight’s imagination?” Jim asks incredulously. 

“She is definitely not imaginary,” Pam says.  “But as for her identity… That is classified information.” 

Jim squints, trying to read her. 

“Come on, Beesly.  You have to tell me,” Jim pleads. 

“No way.  Subject change,” she replies resolutely. 

Jim reluctantly moves on and tells Pam about Michael and how he had to mark his girlfriend’s arm to tell her apart from the other Benihana waitress and Pam is appropriately amused. 

Jim reaches for his beer to take another swig, when suddenly Pam’s hand is covering his.  His heart immediately starts working double time, and his eyes shoot up to meet hers with a questioning stare.  What is she doing? 

“Dwight!” she whispers sharply.   

His eyebrows shoot upwards, but he quickly recovers. 

“No, Pam,” he says slowly, as thought he is speaking to a small child.  “It’s Jim.  Jiiiim.” 

She glares at him, clearly not buying his confusion. 

“He’s coming over to the bar,” she says, looking over his shoulder. 

He starts to turn his head, and she grips his hand harder.  “Don’t turn around!  Just keep looking this way.” 

Pam lifts her menu so that it blocks her entire face, but she still has one hand on Jim’s, which is… well, he doesn’t know what to think of that.  It’s possible that she just forgot to remove it. 

“Fuzzy navel on the rocks,” says a familiar voice, and Jim hears Pam snort from behind her menu.  

He squeezes her hand briefly as a substitute for that, ‘Oh my god, did you just hear that?!’ expression that they have perfected.  She squeezes back. 

Jim hears a glass clink loudly on the bar and Dwight’s voice calls out, “Give me another!  You know what, just bring me the bottle!”  When the bartender starts to explain that he doesn’t have a giant bottle of pre-mixed fuzzy navels, Pam completely loses it.   

At first he sees her shoulders shake.  Soon he hears breathy little giggles emerge from behind the menu.  Finally, the menu slides from her hand altogether and she brings both hands up to her face, covering her mouth desperately. 

Jim would be more amused if he wasn’t slightly disappointed that she let go of his hand. 

“Pam!” Dwight calls out. 

Jim whispers, ‘Busted!’ and she tries to compose herself. 

“Dwight,” she says, nodding at him. 

Jim turns around at this point because the jig is up, really. 

“Hi Dwight,” he says casually. 

“Jim!” Dwight sputters, getting to his feet and walking toward their table. 

“What brings you here, Dwight?” Pam asks civilly. 

“That information is privileged,” Dwight says defensively. 

Jim turns back to Pam to give her one of his looks.  When he turns back to the bar, Dwight looks like something has just occurred to him. 

“Pam, I saw your car in the Dunder-Mifflin parking lot.  What were you doing there, and what are you doing here now?” he demands. 

“I was… I—” Pam stutters, looking desperately at Jim. 

“Do you or do you not own a blue Toyota Yaris hatchback?” Dwight presses, his voice getting louder. 

Pam opens her mouth but no sound comes out, so Jim takes his cue. 

“It’s okay, Pam,” Jim says, placing his hand over hers again.  Just part of the act, he assures himself.  “Dwight, Pam was having a hard time.  Personally.  She called me up, we met at work, and I drove her here so that we could talk.” 

Dwight pauses to look Pam over like he’s sizing her up.  Pam helps out by nodding sadly and gripping Jim’s hand a little tighter. 

“What’s wrong with her?” Dwight demands. 

That is private,” Jim shoots back. 

“I am a licensed crisis counselor, Jim,” Dwight sneers. 

“Interesting.  Can I see your license?” Jim asks. 

Dwight looks momentarily flustered. 

“I… don’t have it on me,” he recovers. 

Pam squints at him, and then addresses Jim. 

“I think impersonating a licensed crisis counselor is a felony,” she says conversationally.  Perfect, Jim thinks. 

“No it’s not,” Dwight says quickly, but he sounds nervous. 

“He’s right Pam.  It’s a misdemeanor,” Jim says. 

“Ohhhh, right,” Pam says, tilting her head back as if remembering this fact. 

He loves this.  They’re back to normal.  A team.  She sets it up for him and he hits it out of the park.  They just work so well together. 

“Okay, I couldn’t pass the test, but that’s only because it is a flawed exam.  Too much emphasis on listening and comfort,” Dwight says with obvious disgust.  “My Uncle Wilhelm used to just grab us by the shoulders and scream as loudly as he could directly in our faces.  It’s called scream therapy, and it works.  My cousin Greta never wet the bed again.” 

“I’m pretty sure that in scream therapy, the person who needs the therapy does the screaming, not the—” Jim starts. 

“Well that shows how much you know, Jim!  Idiot,” Dwight interrupts. 

“Dwight, it’s nothing personal,” Pam says.  “It’s just that Jim is my best friend and you are… Dwight,” she says, trailing off into a near whisper toward the end of her sentence. 

“False,” Dwight balks. 

“Oh, so you not only lied about having your counseling license, but now you’re telling us your real name isn’t even Dwight?” Jim says, shaking his head in disapproval. 

“No!  Simpleton,” Dwight snaps.  “Pam, Jim is not your best friend.  You hardly even talk.” 

It’s absolutely awful, the silence that ensues.   

Jim feels as though the entire bar has ceased speaking just to watch them.  He feels Pam’s hand slip out of his and his stomach sinks.  Count on Dwight to say the exact wrong thing. 

“All the same, I’d rather not undergo scream therapy.  Thank you for your concern,” she says quietly, not looking at either of them. 

“Suit yourself.  But when you realize that Jim is an incompetent buffoon, I will be here with my vocal cords primed and ready,” Dwight retorts before moving back into his seat at the bar. 

The waitress comes over with their fries and Pam picks idly at one of them before sighing deeply. 

“I’m really not hungry.  Maybe we should just go,” she says. 

Jim feels his heart leap into his throat.  Today shouldn’t end this way.  Things were so great.  Almost like they were before. 

“No wait. You haven’t even finished your drink,” Jim says desperately, gesturing at her half-empty Malibu and coke. 

“Yeah, well if I finish it then I’ll just have to wait longer before I can drive home,” she replies reasonably. 

Jim doesn’t know why he is so panicked all of a sudden.  He just knows that tonight something important is going to happen.  

“Good. It’ll give us time to talk,” he says.   

There is a brief pause and she just looks at him.  She wants to know what they’re going to talk about, he can tell.  She’s nervous and upset and tugging at her necklace like she does whenever she’s feeling that way. 

“Pam, please,” he says. 

She takes another sip of her drink, which he thinks is a good sign.  He’s literally holding his breath when she finally looks at him and speaks.

 

“Okay.  What do you want to talk about?”  
End Notes:

I'm working on chapter three. It hates me right now, but don't worry. Every success I've ever had in my job (or with the lady folk) has come from my ability to slowly and painfully wear things down.

Hee! Again, reviews cause me to spontaneously burst into joyful song :)

Rising Action by shan21
Author's Notes:
This chapter starts in Pam’s POV, and then switches to Jim’s.  You’ll see a dotted line when the transition happens. Also, no offense to anyone majoring in musical theater. You’ll see…

Huuuuuge amounts of thanks go to my betas SixFlightsUp, WildBerryJam, and especially to uncgirl who basically helped me totally rework this chapter… twice.


When he says, “Pam, please” and looks at her with that half-scared, half-pleading expression, she thinks, is this really happening?

Dwight was right.  They aren’t best friends anymore. Can they actually have a relationship like that again?

When he first came back to Scranton she thought that they were actually going to get this right.  She was ready, finally.  But then he wasn’t the Jim she knew at all.  He was some strange person who looked like Jim but didn’t roll up his shirtsleeves, or eat ham and cheese every day, or make her smile by just… existing.

And then there’s Karen, who is actually pretty awesome (as evidenced by their party planning adventure today).  And that just makes things so much worse. Why couldn’t she be a terrible person?

But Old Jim came back tonight, finally, and he’s asking her to stay and talk. She twists the charm on her necklace sideways and presses hard so that its edges make deep impressions on her fingertips.

What does he want to talk about?  She takes a sip of her drink and tries to imagine all of the possible topics.  

It only takes her a few seconds to realize that it doesn’t really matter what he wants to talk about.  He could tell her that he wants to discuss the composition of dryer lint, and she would stay.  She has missed this so much.  She’s missed him so much.

So she says, “Okay. What do you want to talk about?”

The ball is in his court, and she waits nervously for him to reply.  He looks shocked and relieved that she has agreed to stay at all.  He stumbles over his words for a second before he responds, which Pam would normally find adorable, but she’s too anxious to hear what he’s going to say.

“I, uh… Well… um, Dwight was right,” he says finally.  “Things aren’t… things aren’t like they were.  We don’t talk.  Really.  Anymore.”

Pam inhales.  She’s just barely fighting back the urge to say, ‘And whose fault is that?’ because after all, she isn’t the one who has been doing the avoiding.

“And, I don’t know.  I guess, I just… let’s talk.  What’s going on with you?  Like, in your life,” he asks.

She frowns, trying to come up with an appropriate response.  She could say, ‘Well, I’m trying to be this strong, independent person, but it’s really hard when the one person who means the most to me has moved on.’

But instead she says, “I bought a new sofa.”

Idiot.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.  Real brave, Pam.  Your SOFA? That’s what you want to tell him about? Really?

“Nice.  What color is it?” Jim asks conversationally.  She manages not to wince, but it’s hard.  This is so pathetic; this supposed talk that they’re having.  

“Beige,” she says, trying to somehow make that word sound interesting.

“Very bold,” Jim replies, smiling in this gently teasing way that makes her smile back a little bit.

“Well, the walls are leopard print so, you know… I didn’t want to go overboard.”

“Understandable,” he says, giving her an approving nod.

She takes another sip of her drink, and wills him to make the next comment, but he remains silent.  He is waiting patiently for her to continue.

“Um, I’m taking some art classes,” she says, forcing herself to sound amiable and calm.

“That’s great, Pam,” he replies, his face lighting up with a genuine grin.  

She can’t take this anymore. When was it ever this hard to just talk to each other?  If they’re going to talk, then they should really talk.

“Yeah.  Great,” she says softly, without a hint of enthusiasm.

He’s peering at her with a confused, concerned look, but she doesn’t hold his gaze, focusing instead on the place of fries that separates them.

At this moment, Pam wishes that Dwight never said anything, because at least that way they could have ended the evening on a high note.  It would have been nice to have one night to pretend that things were like they were before.

But then she’s so frustrated, because why can’t things be the way they were?  So Jim is dating someone (someone else, she thinks). Why should that keep them from being friends like before?  She was engaged to Roy before and they were friends.

“So, can I ask you something?” she says to Jim, although it looks more like she’s asking the French fries.

“Sure,” she hears him reply.

She picks up a fry and rotates it slowly between her fingers before taking him up on the invitation.

“Is this a one time thing?”

“What?” he asks.

She risks a glance in his direction and sees a truly bewildered frown.  She drops the fry and looks up at him in earnest.

“I just…” She sighs and shakes her head, trying to regroup.  Be strong, Pam.  Just ask.

“There have been some moments…” she continues.  “Since you came back… when it feels almost like before.  Like the thing with getting Andy to ask me out, and whatever.”  She shakes her head again and continues.  “I don’t know.  It’s just that in those moments it’s like last year, but then the next day it’s like it never happened.  It’s back to being…”

Her voice trails off again and she looks down at her hands.

“Back to being what?” he asks softly.

Not great,” she says, meeting his eyes again.  She takes a deep breath and continues, louder.  “So, I guess, just… are we going to come back after Christmas and pretend like this whole thing never happened?  Just… I don’t see why it has to be like this.  Why it can’t be like before?”

……………………………………

Like before? He just feels a surge of frustration shoot through his body and he can’t articulate exactly why at first.  

It’s just that… what does before mean to her?  To him it means a lot of great things like this giddy, child-like happiness, but it also means longing and pain.  

“You want it to be like before?” he asks.

She looks at him like she can’t figure out why he would even ask such a question.  

Of course, because for her before was great, wasn’t it?  She wasn’t the one going home every night having to imagine the person she loved with someone else.

“You don’t?” she asks.  Her eyebrows are tightly drawn in confusion. “I mean, why does it have to be weird between us?” she asks anxiously.

He frowns, because at that moment he realizes that maybe he can’t be friends with Pam.  He’ll see her laugh and smile and be... Pam, and he’ll be right back where he was last year.  Meanwhile, Pam will be just as unaffected as ever.  

“Jim,” she says, breaking him out of his train of thought.

“Hmm?” he says, eyebrows raised.

“You’ve noticed that it’s weird, right?” she asks, tilting her head slightly to the side.

If by weird you mean unbearably tense and awkward then…


“Yeah.”  It comes out like an exhalation.

Then Pam gets this look of grim determination on her face.

“I don’t like it,” she says matter-of-factly.

Her eyes search his face, gauging his reaction, and his response comes automatically.

“I don’t either,” he says, and he means it.

Pam’s whole demeanor changes.  She let’s out a breath that she was apparently holding.  Her shoulders relax and that steely look in her eyes disappears.  She smiles in relief and she is Old Pam again.

“Good,” she says.

Only it’s really not good, not at all, because he knows that he can’t be close to her like he was last year.  Not without all the exact same complications, except this time with the added bonus of the fact that he has a girlfriend.  Oh, and the fact that according to Karen, Pam is going to start dating Roy again.  Awesome.

But she looks so happy right now that he can’t possibly disappoint her.  He feels himself nodding helplessly back at her.  He may need another beer.

“So now it’s your turn to entertain me,” she states, grinning broadly.

“Excuse me?” he asks, pausing with his beer halfway to his mouth.

“I regaled you with tales of my new couch.  It’s your turn,” she replies, and her eyes are positively sparkling.

He decides right then and there that he’ll just have to give friendship a shot, because it feels so good to be back to normal.  He sees her eyes all lit up and forgets for a moment why he was ever avoiding her in the first place.

“Well, give me a minute, okay Beesly, because I’m still recovering from the excitement of couch talk,” he says, with all the seriousness he can muster.

Pam nods solemnly.

“Of course.  I’m sorry.”

“You are forgiven,” he says begrudgingly.  He waits a few more seconds for good measure, and then says, “Okay.  I am now ready.”

She straightens up attentively, reminding Jim of Dwight before one of Michael’s conference room lectures.  Jim takes another swig of his beer, trying to forget that he just compared Pam to Dwight.

“All right,” he starts.  “So there was one time in Stamford when Andy may have received a phone call from one of the American Idol producers.”

“Oh?”

She’s already smirking.

“Yes,” Jim assures her.  “And this producer may have told Andy that even though he was five years over the age limit for contestants, that he and the other producers heard amazing things about the breakout star of a little a cappella group called Hear Comes Treble.”

Pam smiles and shakes her head at him.

“So this producer, let’s call him… Tim Galpert… says that the producers will help him forge a birth certificate and to make the lie believable, he will just need to make a few simple attempts to look younger,” Jim says, maintaining a very neutral tone.

“Oh my god.  He is not that stupid,” Pam says skeptically.

“Oh, I’m sorry, have you met him?” Jim shoots back.

“He went to Cornell!” Pam cries.

“For musical theater!” Jim counters.

Pam laughs out loud and put up her hands as a show of surrender.

“What did he do?” she asks.

Jim shrugs innocently.

“He may have gotten blond tips and grown a little goatee.”

Pam shakes her head in disbelief, although she’s still grinning.

And gone to Hot Topic and had his eyebrow pierced,” Jim adds.

Pam’s eyes grow impossibly wide.  She grips the table.

“NO!” she says incredulously.

And driven to Boston for American Idol tryouts,” he says joyfully.

“Oh, Jim,” Pam says, as though Jim has just given her a precious gift.

“Commence with the awe,” he says cockily.

“Oh, I’m commencing,” Pam assures him.

Jim can’t help himself.

“That’s what she said?” he says in a questioning tone, squinting slightly.

“I can see that Michael has already seeped back into your brain,” she replies, rolling her eyes.  “So, what happened with Andy?  How did he find out that he wasn’t going to get through?”

Before Jim can fill her in on the ending of the story, which involves the Boston police department and death threats to Simon Cowell via Blondie’s hit song “One Way or Another,” someone’s cell phone starts to ring.

“I think it’s you,” Pam says.

He is about to tell her that it wasn’t his ringtone when he remembers that he has Karen’s BlackBerry.

Karen.  Yes.  Your girlfriend, Jim.


He looks at the caller ID.  Karen’s landline.

“Karen?” Pam prompts.

Jim nods, and answers the phone what he hopes is a perfectly natural sounding, “Hello.”

He must sound normal, because she replies with a cheerful hello of her own.  She asks him how the prank went, and he looks at Pam, who is studiously examining the fries again.

“Better than I expected,” he tells her.

“Good!” Karen exclaims happily.  There is a pause, and he knows that she expects him to fill her in on the specifics of the prank, but he doesn’t.  

“So… where are you now?” she asks.

“At a bar,” he says, not elaborating.

“Alone?”

“No. Uh, Pam’s here,” he says.  Then he starts panicking because he doesn’t want her to get the wrong idea, even though the wrong idea might be right.  He feels like a jerk, but he adds,  “Dwight’s here too” to cover his ass.

He didn’t have to worry though, because when she replies she doesn’t sound the least bit suspicious.  Why should she?  Karen has no idea that he and Pam were ever close, especially if she’s judging solely by his behavior towards her in the past few weeks.

“Oh cool.  Which one?  I’ll come join you,” she says pleasantly.

Jim feels his stomach sink.  He turns away from Pam and speaks quietly into the phone.

“Oh, um… I’m actually… I’m probably going to be leaving soon,” he lies.

Pam and Karen are friends now.  It would be fine if Karen came, so why is he lying?  Why does he feel so guilty all of a sudden?

“Oh.  Well, do you want to come over and watch a movie?  Netflix just sent me Kate and Leopold.  We can make fun of Hugh Jackman together,” Karen jokes.

She’s so great, and he hates himself when he replies.

“Um, I think I’m just going to go home.”

“Such an old man!” she teases.

“I know.  I’m super lame,” he responds, and he means it.

“You’re so lucky you have me to balance out the lame factor,” she quips.

“I’ll come over tomorrow,” he says by way of apology.

“You better,” she warns.

“Okay… Bye.”

“Bye.”

They don’t say, “I love you.”  They haven’t ever said it to each other.  Not yet.  He wonders how long it will take to get to that point.

If you get to that point
, he thinks, because in his (very limited) experience with falling in love… it just sort of happens.  Love isn’t something to wait around for, hoping that it will develop.  It’s not like he remembers the moment he fell in love before.  He just realized one day that he was and that he had been for a long time.

It’s only then that he realizes Pam is no longer looking at the now cold fries but at him.

Oh god.  What am I doing?

It feels like it did with Katy all over again.  He’s ditching someone who actually wants to be with him for something he can’t have.  Except this time it’s Karen, who is so much more right than Katy ever was.

But still not totally right, Jim thinks.

No.  He will not do this again.  He didn’t change his entire life around, move out of state even, just to wind up in the exact same place a few months later.

“I should probably get going,” he says apologetically.

“Oh!”  It comes out as a quiet exclamation, but she quickly covers it up with a smile. “Okay.  Yeah, it’s getting late.”

This is good. They can do the friends thing at work, like they did before, but not alone together in a bar.  They can be friends again, but only if he leaves now, because it’s getting harder and harder to look at her tonight and not say something stupid.  

He gets up and starts to put on his coat when her hand on his wrist stills his movements.  He looks at her questioningly.

“Don’t,” she says.  She’s looking not in his eyes, but at her hand on his wrist.

“Don’t what?” he asks.

“I’ve missed this.  A lot,” she says, looking up at him when she says the last sentence.

He hates himself for not being able to lie to her.

“Me too,” he tells her.  His voice is suddenly hoarse, and he’s not sure why.

“I just… I don’t want this night to be over so soon.  It’s been a long time since we’ve talked like this.”

Her hand his still on his wrist, and it’s distracting him.  A lot.  He can feel her fingers slipping down to his hand, grazing his knuckles.  She’s not doing it on purpose, of course.  Pam doesn’t tease, not like this.  But it has the same effect regardless of her motive.  It’s all he can do to keep his eyes from sliding shut.

“Um…” he mumbles, unable to form a coherent thought.

“We could go to my apartment.”

That snaps him out of his daze.  What the hell is going on here?  Is she trying to kill him?

“I mean, you haven’t seen it yet, right?” she adds hastily.

“Right,” he says, his mind racing.  

This is no big deal, right?  This can’t be what it might sound like.  She and Karen are friends now.  Girls don’t steal their friends’ boyfriends.  Well, not unless they star on Laguna Beach, which Pam definitely doesn’t.    

“Yeah.  Okay,” Jim says carefully.

That makes perfect sense.  It’s not at all a bad idea to go to Pam’s apartment at night, just the two of them.  Nope.  

“Yeah?” she replies, as though she’s surprised he agreed, and probably also surprised that she offered in the first place.

She lets her hand fall completely away from his and grabs her own coat.  He manages to get his feet to move, asking himself again what the hell he just agreed to.  On their way to the door they pass Dwight, who is still at the bar with what looks to be a Shirley Temple.

“Pam!  Pam, have you reconsidered my offer?” Dwight calls urgently.

Pam opens her mouth to reply, but apparently Dwight has had more to drink than either of them realized because he somehow interprets her pause as a yes.

“Okay, good,” he says obliviously.  “Brace yourself against the bar, because sometimes the force of the scream can send you tumbling.”

Pam holds up her hands to halt Dwight’s approach.

“No, Dwight,” she says firmly.

“You’re right.  We should go outside for this,” Dwight replies thoughtfully.

Pam looks exasperated, but then she’s smiling.

“Dwight, I’m going to pass on the scream therapy for now, but if I change my mind I’ll call you,” she says calmly.  

Then she smirks and quickly tries to hide it.

“What’s your cell number again?  I’m not sure I have it,” she adds.

Dwight looks suddenly agitated, and Jim has to fight not to laugh.

“Let me just give you my home number,” Dwight recovers evasively.

“You know what, it’s cool.  I’ll just email you if I require your services,” Pam says agreeably.

“Okay.  Excellent,” Dwight says nervously.

“Mean,” Jim accuses as soon as they’re out of earshot.

“He wanted to scream in my face,” Pam points out.

“To help you, Pam,” Jim counters.  

Pam is unmoved by his justification.

They exit Poor Richard’s and walk to his car, and the whole time he’s second guessing himself.  

Pam has always managed to seem so unaffected by him that way, the way she affects him.   She befriended Karen, for God’s sake.  I mean, he could never have befriended Roy.  But suggesting they go to her apartment has completely thrown him.

He’s curious.  He doesn’t want to let himself believe that she’s feeling the same things he is, because he let himself believe that last spring and it was the biggest mistake of his life.  

But then he thinks, no, it was only a mistake because she lied.  He didn’t misinterpret anything last spring.  She just wasn’t able to be honest with him.  Or herself.

He’s suddenly angry, because she’s doing it all over again.  She’ll get him thinking all kinds of crazy thoughts about what it means that they’re going to her apartment alone, and then if he brings any of it up to her, she’ll act like she has no idea what he’s talking about.

Well, he won’t let her do this again.  She’s going to be honest this time, because this isn’t before.  This is now.

His car is parked beneath one of the street lamps in the lot. The light hits her directly and he sees something sparkling below her neck.  It’s her gold necklace, the one she always wears, only the charm looks different.  He’s almost positive that it used to be a little dove, but now it’s something else.  

He’s about to ask her about it, when he decides, screw it.  She waits patiently by his passenger door for him to unlock it, but rather than doing so from inside the car, he walks around to her door.

He reaches out and delicately grasping the charm with the hand not holding his keys.  His fingers brush against her skin and he hears her sharp intake of breath as her head jerks up so that she can meet his eyes questioningly.

He smiles.

“Wasn’t this a dove?” he asks innocently.

She just stares at him for a moment, her mouth still halfway open.

“Uh, yeah,” she says, shaking her head slightly, as if clearing her thoughts.

“A butterfly.  Nice,” he comments casually, turning the charm over in his hand.

She doesn’t say anything, but continues to stare at him with the most bewildered expression on her face.

He unlocks her door and walks back around to his side of the car without a second glance at her.  He already has his key in the ignition when she finally enters the car and buckles her seatbelt.

 “I’ll drive you back to your car, and then I can follow you to your place,” he says conversationally.

“Yeah, great,” she says, trying to adopt a similarly casual tone, but she’s toying with the charm on her necklace again.

“I’m excited to see your apartment, Beesly.  Besides, we need to try out that new sofa,” he says, feeling reckless and excited.

She reacts exactly how he thought she would.  Her eyes dart to his, startled by his phrasing, but then she quickly covers this by gluing her eyes on the road and smiling like nothing happened.

He doesn’t even want to think about what he’s doing, because it’s not exactly going to win him Boyfriend of the Year, but he’s been waiting for an opportunity to find out once and for all how she really feels about them for about five years and here it is.

And he’s going to take it.

End Notes:

I really hope that you guys liked this chapter, because writing it was almost the death of me.

 

Also, I just finished taking a midterm and... it did not go well. I think that reviews will magically improve my score. Just like how clapping saves fairies lives.

Climax by shan21
Author's Notes:

A/N:  So, it’s been more months than I care to count since I updated this.  You will probably want to go back and skim the earlier chapters, but basically here’s the summary: 

Takes place after A Benihana Christmas when Jim and Pam pranked Dwight into showing up on the roof of Dunder Mifflin for his CIA training.  Our duo went to Poor Richard’s to celebrate, had an awkward moment or two, and then Pam surprised Jim by offering to show him her apartment.  Jim surprised Pam by agreeing, and made a mental decision to get Pam to admit whatever feelings she might have for him tonight. 

Thanks to everyone who emailed me or wrote reviews encouraging me not to abandon this one.  Special thanks to pam_beesly for the email that finally got me to start it up again, and to UNC_girl for beta’ing.


  

**~**~**~** 

She’s sitting in his car and she can’t stop tugging at her necklace.  He just reached out and grabbed it, held it in his hand like it was the most casual gesture in the world.   

Part of her is thanking whatever higher power made her decide to change out of the turtleneck she wore at the Christmas party and into a v-neck sweater, because it meant that his fingers brushed bare skin instead of red cotton.  However, another part of her is cursing the wardrobe change, because now she can’t forget the electric sensation of his fingertips skimming the spot just below her collarbone.  She can’t stop wondering what it meant, or if it meant anything at all.   

And then he had to go and say that thing about her couch.   

“We need to try out that new sofa.”   

What did that mean?  He couldn’t have meant it the way it sounded, right? 

She’s so caught up second-, third-, and fourth-guessing herself that it’s not until he puts the car in park that she realizes they’re back at work.  She makes a show of unbuckling her seatbelt, waiting for him to say something. Which he doesn’t. 

Finally, she clears her throat and asks, “So, you’ll just follow me?” focusing on the red button on her seatbelt buckle instead of on him. 

“Yep,” she hears him say. 

She’s free from the belt and she reaches for the door when suddenly his hand is warm and heavy on hers.  She looks back at him with startled eyes, because what is he doing?! 

Her hand is still captive when he speaks, a gentle smile on his face. 

“Don’t go blowing through any yellow lights, Beesly.  I don’t want to lose you.” 

I don’t want to lose you 

What does that mean? 

Pam realizes that she’s just staring at him with a frown on her face.  She snaps out of it and tries to recover with a casual chuckle, but it sounds fake ringing in her ears. 

“I’ll go slow,” she assures him, allowing her hand to slip out from under his as she exits the car. 

“Don’t go too slow,” Jim calls out. 

She’s imagining things.  She is clearly being ridiculous.  This is like Dwight-level paranoia.  This is Michael listening to Jan’s voicemail and reading all kinds of crazy into her words.  She refuses to be Dwight or Michael, absolutely refuses 

But she sort of needs to know if there’s the slightest chance that she isn’t crazy so she speaks again. 

“You in a hurry, Halpert?” she asks, shooting for casual again. 

“No,” he shrugs.  “But I can get impatient.” 

Then he grins. 

Grins. 

Okay, great.  That clears things up completely. 

Pam gives him a tight smile and goes off to her own car.  As she pulls out of the parking lot, she thinks about Jim and his impatience.  Yeah.  He can be impatient. In that, move-to-another-state-and-get-a-new-girlfriend-within-weeks-of-springing-the-biggest-declaration-imaginable-on-an-unsuspecting-friend sense.   

That sort of impatient. 

She glances in her rear view mirror to make sure he’s still following her.  The sun has long since set, so she can’t actually see him, just two headlights.  She tries to clear her mind, but it’s impossible.  

“None of it means anything,” she says firmly, because maybe hearing it out loud will convince her. 

This is Jim.  Nice, dependable, good-guy Jim.  Jim does not play games.  He does not toy with people’s emotions.  And most importantly, he does not think about her that way anymore.  He’s with Karen.  For one thing, his being with Karen shows that he isn’t still feeling whatever he was feeling on Casino Night.  For another thing, Jim is not the kind of guy to cheat on his girlfriend. 

Besides, the very fact that he’s throwing out these weird innuendos and touching her so casually makes it even less likely that it means anything.  It shows that he’s so comfortable with her that physical contact doesn’t faze him.  The double meanings probably don’t even occur to him. 

She feels embarrassed that she even suspected anything deeper.  He can’t think of her as anything more than a friend.  Otherwise there’s no way he’d be okay with the idea of coming to her apartment alone at night while his girlfriend sits at home. 

All too soon they’re at her building.  She puts her car in park and takes a deep breath.  She makes a firm decision not to read too much into anything that happens tonight.  Tonight they have the chance to reestablish their friendship.  She’ll settle for that, because it’s so much better than staring at the back of his neck all day.  She will not make this weird by reading something suggestive into everything that he says or does. 

This is the start of The Halpert/Beesly Friendship, version 2.0.   

She steps out of her car feeling much better than when she entered it, because at least now she has a clear direction.  She gives him a big grin as he approaches.  He grins back, squinting like he’s confused.  Or suspicious. 

“So, do you want to see Casa De Beesly?” she asks, dangling her keys in front of him like a treat in front of a puppy. 

He smiles earnestly this time. 

Absolutely I do,” he replies. 

It’s just an old house about a mile from the city center.  Her landlord is nice, but she doesn’t really like her apartment all that much.  She’s renting the top half and her downstairs neighbors are a young couple who are apparently big fans of listening to their emo CDs at top volume.  But it’s her first time living alone, and there’s nothing like having her own place.   

She can’t prevent the giddy skip in her step as she leads Jim into her building and up one flight of stairs to her door.  She pauses with her keys in the lock and turns to face him. 

“Okay, I’m just gonna warn you,” she says.  “This is probably the most impressive 800 square feet you’re ever going to see.” 

Jim’s eyes drift up to the ceiling, as if he’s picturing what lies beyond the door. 

“Okay,” he says.  “I’m thinking that Cirque de Soleil acrobats roam free in the living room. And that maybe you have a Dunkin’ Donuts drive-through window actually in your kitchen.  How are my expectations?’ 

She pauses to consider. 

“Too low,” she concludes. 

He grins, an honest-to-goodness-can’t-hold-it-back grin, and she convinced her feet don’t touch the ground as they step inside her apartment.   

She takes his coat and she’s hanging it next to hers in the hall closet as he takes a few steps into her living room.  He takes a slow spin, giving everything a preliminary glance.  She closes the closet door and waits expectantly for his assessment. 

“You lied,” he says. 

She frowns. 

“Your walls,” he says, pointing, “are not leopard print.” 

She holds back a laugh. 

“For your information, this is just step one of a multi-step faux-finish process,” she says haughtily.  “Step one is your basic coat of tan.  Step two is squiggly brown spots.  Then step three, outline spots with black.” 

“Step four, blind all household members with the wooden end of paintbrush so as to protect them from sight of walls,” he adds helpfully. 

“Exactly.  Have you tried this faux-finish before?” she asks. 

“Not the leopard.  It was a mural.  Of beet fields,” he explains. 

She tries to hold back the smile that’s threatening the corners of her mouth. 

“Oh, nice.  I’d love to see pictures, if you could email them, or…” she trails off. 

“Oh yeah, sure,” he says, nodding like it’s no problem. 

“Great,” she says.   

She tries to maintain an expression of sincere interest, but the corners of her mouth mutiny, and she smiles before she can stop herself.  She bites her lip and shakes her head, because this is so them, and she can’t believe it’s like this again.  

The Halpert/Beesly Friendship, version 2.0, officially rocks. 

“So, I’m ready for my tour,” Jim announces, and she looks at him in anxiously.   

It’s not like she expected company, and things are definitely not as tidy as she’d like, but of course you give people a tour when they come over to see your new place, right? 

“Okay.  Uh, well this is the living room,” she says unnecessarily. 

She follows his gaze as he more closely examines the framed art on the walls.  Then he shifts to the old coffee table she’s had since she and Roy got their first place.  It’s barely visible underneath the mass of junk scattered on top of it.  His eyes move on to take in the tiny TV that used to sit on the dresser in the bedroom she and Roy shared (Roy took the big screen), and finally her computer desk. 

“Is this your computer?” he asks. 

She nods. 

“You should get a Mac,” he muses. 

“Why?” she asks. 

“Because they’re awesome,” he proclaims matter-of-factly. 

She smiles and puts her hands on her hips. 

“Just because you want to be cool like the hipster dude in the Mac commercials doesn’t mean we all do, Jim,” Pam says teasingly. 

He indulges her with a ‘you got me’ smile before addressing her seriously. 

“No, I mean, you’re getting more into graphic design and Macs are supposed to be great for that sort of thing, so…” 

He’s perfect.  Well, of course he is.  Obviously he was going to say something thoughtful and supportive of her new aspirations within his first minute in her apartment.  He’s Jim. 

“Yeah.  That’s what my all of my professors say too,” she replies, because blurting out ‘You’re perfect!’ does not pass muster with the Don’t Make Things Weird Plan that she committed to right before she exited her car. 

He seems to be done with this room (without any comments on the sofa, she notes, trying not to feel disappointed) so she motions toward the kitchen. 

“Through here is the kitchen,” she supplies. 

“Your one kitchen,” he adds, smiling adorably. 

She tries not to return his smile too dorkily, but the results are debatable.  She’s about to motion him on to the next room when she notices that he’s staring at something. 

The teapot. 

It’s sitting on the counter with the string of a teabag from this morning still dangling down off the side.  He looks back to see that she’s caught him staring. 

“You still have it,” he says. 

He’s smiling, but he sounds surprised, almost grateful.  Did he expect her to throw it out when he left for Stamford?   

“Of course I do,” she says, frowning. 

He breaks his gaze away from the object in question and meets her eyes.  There’s something magnetic in his look, and it feels impossible to look away.   

Of course, in the new Halpert/Beesly Friendship, this teapot is just an innocuous kitchen accessory.   

She manages to blink and turn her attention to the next room. 

“Um, and off of the kitchen is a tiny dining room, which I’ve never actually eaten in,” she supplies, gesturing toward the room but not moving. 

Jim takes a few steps toward the dining room and peeks his head in.  She can see him surveying the canvas propped up on her easel and the half dozen of squares of paper taped hastily to the walls and spread across the tiny dining room table. 

“What’s all that stuff?” he asks. 

She shakes her head dismissively. 

“Oh, it’s nothing.  Just—” 

“Is this all your art?” he interrupts, stepping fully into the room. 

She cringes.  

“Um, yeah.  This is some of it.  The stuff that I’m not working on in the studio I bring home,” she tells him, hoping that he won’t look too closely at anything.   

None of these pieces are done.  They’re all half-finished sketches.  No one should see them. 

“So this is like your home studio,” he says, smiling. 

She smiles in spite of herself. 

“I guess.  I get good light from the windows, so I just sort of prop everything up on the table here,” she explains, gesturing at the windows. 

He pulls his focus from her art to face her again. 

“That stuff hanging on the living room walls, is that yours?” he asks. 

She shakes her head. 

“No.  I bought some of my classmates’ stuff.” 

He looks back at her art, his fingers ghosting over a watercolor of a coffee cup. 

“You should hang some of your own work,” he determines. 

She feels her cheeks grow warm. 

“You don’t think it’s sort of… showy to have my own stuff up in my apartment?” she mumbles. 

He looks at her like she’s crazy, and her cheeks get even hotter. 

“No,” he says bluntly.  “When you spend time working on something you should take the time to enjoy it.” 

He’s completely unreadable, which is a new look for him.  His face is normally so expressive that it doesn’t take much to guess what he’s thinking.  But right now… 

“Okay,” she says, shifting awkwardly on her toes.  Because what else can you say to a statement like that? “So, um, back out this way is the bathroom.  And down there is my bedroom.” 

She gestures down the short hallway.  He rocks once on his feet, and raises his eyebrows at her expectantly.  She frowns, confused. 

“Well,” he says. 

“Well, what?” she asked, a nervous smile forming on her lips. 

“Well, don’t I get to see it?” he clarifies. 

Her heard skips at least two beats, maybe three. 

“You want to see my bedroom?” she asks. 

Well that’s… that’s just… 

“I showed you mine,” he replies matter-of-factly. 

Four beats, definitely.  It’s a miracle she’s not on the floor right now, requiring emergency resuscitation.  The way he said it, like he didn’t even notice the alternate meaning of his phrase, throws her off completely.  If he’d said it with a grin, they could both chuckle about it and move on.  But he didn’t grin.   

He is not complying with the rules of the new Halpert/Beesly Friendship. 

“Okay,” she says, trying to brush everything off.   

Because thinking that Jim is making sly sexual innuendo is not only preposterous, it’s also in direct violation of the new friendship rules.  And just because he’s not following them doesn’t mean she shouldn’t. 

They walk the few steps down the hall to her room, and Pam is relieved to see that, yes, she did remember to make her bed this morning.  She gestures for him to enter first, and lingers in the doorway, watching him.  He stuffs his hands in his pockets and makes a slow circle in the center of her room. 

He stops abruptly when his eyes land on her dresser. 

“Your Dundie?” he says, and he steps aside to reveal what he’s been staring at.  “Really, Pam?” he prods, gesturing at the plastic statue with a smirk. 

“What?” she asks defensively, but a blush is creeping onto her face along with a smile. 

“You keep your Dundies in your room?  In direct line of sight from your bed?” he presses on. 

“Okay, first of all, it’s a Dundie, singular—” Pam points out, trying to speak louder than him. 

“I mean, Dwight keeps his Dundies in his bedroom, Pam.  Dwight,” he interjects, his look of delight growing with each passing second. 

“—And secondly, it’s not like I placed it there because I could see it from my bed—” she continues, desperate to gain control of the situation and to wipe that smirk off his face. 

“Actually, this is worse than Dwight.  Dwight keeps his Dundies in a case above his bed, meaning that he can’t actually see them from bed,” Jim continues mercilessly. 

“—I just didn’t want to have it out in the living room or somewhere where non-Dunder-Mifflin employees could see it and—did you just call me worse than Dwight?” 

There is a sudden silence.  Jim is frozen for a moment, the grin still on his face, as he processes her question.  As the silence stretches on for another few seconds, Pam sees the smile slowly drift from Jim’s face.  She places her hands determinedly on her hips and gives him her best “you have some ‘splainin’ to do” look. 

Jim’s mouth falls open and he glances briefly around the room, as if he’ll get some support from Pam’s lamp or perhaps her laundry basket.  

“Um… maybe?” he finally admits. 

“Unforgivable,” she announces, crossing her arms across her chest. 

“Hey, the comparison was there.  It’s not my fault you—” 

Unforgivable,” Pam repeats, cutting him off before he can mount his paltry defense. 

Jim squints at her appraisingly, as if trying to discern the level of her irritation.  She can’t stop the slight smile that tugs at her mouth. 

“You know what’s weird?” Jim says, breaking the standoff. 

“That you know the layout of Dwight’s bedroom?” Pam offers. 

He shoots her a dirty look, which she meets with her sweetest smile.  This is good.  This is normal for them.  Or what normal used to be.  Except for the part where they’re in her bedroom. 

“No, but thank you,” he replies.  “What’s weird is that you don’t have a TV in here.  Don’t tell me you’re one of those people who thinks it’s uncultured to have a TV in the bedroom.  Because if you’re one of those people, Pam, I’m going to have to seriously reevaluate our friendship.” 

“Isn’t that why we’re here?” she says with a smile. 

Her eyes widen as she realizes what she just said.  How did that slip out?  It was in inside thought, definitely not something to be casually muttered while she was standing around with Jim.  In her bedroom. 

She risks a glance at Jim. His eyebrows are raised so high up that they’ve disappeared behind the tips of his messy hair.  He’s staring resolutely at the carpet, his mouth open a little. 

Fix this! a voice in Pam’s head shouts.   

“Um, no.  I am not one of those people,” she stutters.   

Yes.  Excellent.  Pretend that you never uttered your previous statement.  Just answer his question like a normal, non-stupid person. 

“There were only two TVs in my old place.  I got the small one from our bedroom, he got the big screen,” she adds. 

He’ is Roy, of course, but she doesn’t say his name.  

There is a brief pause before he responds.  To Pam’s intense relief, the familiar smile is back. 

“I think I know what’s really going on here,” Jim says confidently.   

“Oh you do?” Pam asks. 

“You lie in bed at night and instead of watching TV you stare longingly at your Dundie and think of your dreamy boss, Michael Scott.” 

Pam smiles at him, arching an eyebrow. 

“That’s your theory, is it?” she asks.   

He nods. 

“Well, it is a very special Dundie,” she continues.  “But if I’m thinking of anybody when I stare at it, it is most definitely not Michael.” 

Wait a minute.  Did she just suggest… 

“Yeah?” Jim says.  He sounds a little breathless.  

Yup.  She definitely accidentally suggested that she lies in bed, staring at her Dundie and thinks of Jim.  Well, that was just… not at all part of the Halpert/Beesly friendship plan! 

She realizes that he’s waiting for her to confirm that suggestion, and knows that a quick diversion is needed. 

“I demand an apology,” she blurts out. 

His eyebrows draw together in confusion, although the smile on his lips lingers. 

“Excuse me?” he asks. 

“I demand an apology,” she repeats. 

“Um, okay.  It helps if I know what I’m apologizing for,” he points out. 

“Comparing me unfavorably to Dwight Schrute,” Pam supplies. 

Jim tilts his head to the side. 

“Can one be favorably compared to Dwight Schrute?” he asks. 

Pam will not be deterred. 

“This is not helping your case,” she says. 

Jim adopts as serious an expression as he can muster. 

“You’re right.  That was wrong of me.” 

“Yes, it was,” she agrees. 

“I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me for that,” he says, mock-seriously. 

“It might take time,” Pam replies, without missing a beat. 

“Well, I think we’ve established that your lack of a TV in here is more of a problem than the presence of Dundies anyway.” 

“Dundie!  Singular!” she protests. 

“Please, Pam. This is serious,” Jim chastises.  “How are you supposed to watch America’s Next Top Model marathons into the wee hours of the morning if you can’t do it in bed?” 

He knows her so well.  How many times did he tease her when she came into work exhausted because she stayed up until two in the morning watching trash TV?  Memories of those mornings come flooding back to her, and she feels warmer somehow.   

“Sometimes I crash on the couch,” she admits. 

“Your new couch?” he questions.  “Is it sleepable?” 

“I’m sorry, is it what?” 

“Sleepable, Pam.  Sleepable.” 

“Well, I have yet to test drive this one, but I think it’s pretty comfy,” she replies. 

He gets a look on his face.  It reminds her of the face he made when she told him there was a KISS cover band among her wedding band demo tapes. 

“Come on,” he says, starting for the door. 

“What?” she asks. 

He steps out into the hallway and then pokes his head back in the door to address her. 

“We need to go judge this new sofa’s sleepability,” he says, as if this should be obvious. 

“What?” she repeats dumbly. 

“If it’s not sleepable then we’ll have to hit up a futon store ASAP,” he says, not bothering to turn around as he makes his way back to the living room. 

She follows him out into the hallway, calling after him as he goes. 

“Do they have entire stores devoted to the retail of futons?” 

“Pam, I don’t like how lightly you are taking this.  America’s Next Top Model is at stake here.  Not to mention late night repeats of The Real Housewives of Orange County.  And Conan! My god, think of Conan!” 

“Jim—” 

Conan, Pam.  He’s on after 12:30.  Sometimes it’s just too late.” 

“Well, you know futons are very popular with girls my age.” 

“So I’ve heard.” 

She trails behind him as they reenter the living room.  He stops with his feet at the edge of the new sofa and turns back to her.  Without so much as a word, he energetically plops himself down and stretches out, swinging his feet onto the cushions.  He grabs the pillow resting behind his back and repositions it on the arm of the sofa.  Crushing his face against it, he lets out a deep sigh.  His entire lengthy frame seems to melt an inch or two into the cushions. 

“Oh yeah, this passes muster,” he says into the pillow, his voice muffled. 

“Oh?” Pam asks, slowly moving toward the couch. 

“Very sleepable.  In fact, it’s better than my own couch,” he confirms. 

Pam feigns shock. 

“Wow.  This coming from the expert on sleepability.  I feel like Martha Stewart just told me that she loves my decor.” 

Jim grins, but quickly manages to adopt his serious face again. 

“You know, that is like the third time today I’ve been compared to Martha Stewart,” he tells her. 

“I believe it,” she replies with similar earnestness. 

“Yeah?” he asks. 

“It’s the sweaters, probably,” she suggests, pointing at his attire.  

He looks appraisingly at his sweater and Pam realizes that she’s just standing over him and that’s sort of weird.  And then he pulls himself upright and stares into her eyes. 

“I like your sweater,” he says suddenly. 

She feels a blush rising on her face. 

“Oh,” she breathes.  “Thanks.” 

“And that turtleneck from earlier today.  You look good in bright colors.  I like that you’re wearing more of them now.” 

Pam feels like she’s back in high school and the cute boy just complimented her.  And that is not at all what this night was supposed to be about.  She’s about to crack a joke to break the tension (tension that she’s sure is only in her head).  Something about how she and Andy have a secret competition to see who can wear the more obnoxiously bright sweaters, but she doesn’t get it out because…  

Because oh my god why is he holding her hand? 

This is decidedly weird. 

“Come on, Beesly,” Jim mumbles, and Pam is so dumbfounded she just sort of falls when he tugs on her hand. 

She lands right next to him on the sofa, their legs touching. 

“Go ahead.  Try it out,” he urges her. 

Heart hammering in her chest, she gently twists her body so that she can lay her head on the pillow on the opposite arm of the couch.  She’s trying to do this without jarring Jim in the slightest, but apparently that isn’t a problem for him, because before she knows what’s going on he’s got two hands on her shins and he’s swung her legs up onto the couch too. 

“Gotta get the full effect,” he chides her. 

Well, if he honestly expects her to focus on the couch while her legs are splayed across his lap, then he is either vastly overestimating her concentration or vastly underestimating his effect on her.  She hopes for the sake of her own pride that he hasn’t even considered the latter. 

“Pretty good,” she says distractedly. 

“Right?” he agrees. 

She can’t sit up fast enough.  When she looks at him, he’s sitting with his head back against the cushions, peering up at her ceiling.  Curious, she does the same.  

“Something fascinating up there?” she asks. 

“Just thinking,” he murmurs. 

She feels a little anxious at his response, but she doesn’t move and neither does he.  They both stay there, outside edges of their legs still touching, staring up at the ceiling.  A few seconds pass as Pam examines the faint brush strokes visible in the dried white paint above them.  She feels oddly calm, even though Jim’s behavior has become distressingly unpredictable. And Jim is usually nothing if not predictable. 

“What are you thinking about?” she asks, finally. 

There is a pause before he answers. 

“About how awesome my Christmas present was.” 

She can’t keep from smiling. 

“I’m glad you liked it.   Although I should just come clean now and admit that it was as much a present for me as it was for you so… I guess I’m sort of like Kevin in Secret Santa.” 

She hears him snort with laughter. 

“Yup, after Creed, Kevin is usually the person I get you mixed up with the most.” 

She smiles again but doesn’t reply.  It must be a full minute that goes by in complete silence before he grabs her hand again.   

Well, grabs is probably the wrong word.  Her hand was just resting on her thigh and suddenly his fingers graze the top of hers, like he’s testing the water.  When she doesn’t pull away (“Why don’t you?” her brain demands) he lets his entire hand skim over hers, fingertips curling underneath so that they brush against her palm.   

She swallows, but doesn’t move.  She keeps her eyes trained on a spot on the ceiling.  What is that?  A squashed bug, or— oh! 

He’s gently turning her hand over so that it’s palm-up and she lets it happen.  He starts to trace delicate circles on her palm with his thumb, and she hears a rustling sound.  She knows he has tilted his head to the side. She can feel his eyes on her, but she can’t bring herself to move an inch.  It might break the spell, and she really doesn’t want to think about what is happening right now or what it means.  She’s selfish.  She doesn’t want him to remember that he has a girlfriend or that everything got screwed up last year.  So she just stares at the ceiling and lets her eyes drift shut so that all she can focus on is the feeling of his hand on hers. 

And just then, when she honestly can’t remember why she ever thought the Halpert/Beesly Friendship, version 2.0, was a good idea, he says something that jolts her out of the moment. 

“Don’t get back with Roy,” he whispers. 
End Notes:

**~**~**~**

Soooo, there it is. There should be 2-3 more chapters. I've just started my first real job (I'm a teacher!) so I can't promise daily updates or anything, BUT I've been working steadily on the next bit, so I can promise it won't be another bajillion months until I update.

Side note-- Every time you review, it is the karmic equivalent of planting a tree and adopting a puppy.

This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2725