The Pam Dichotomy: Season 3 by scrantonbranch
Past Featured StorySummary: The Pam Dichotomy continues into Season 3 with analysis for every episode on a scene-by-scene basis, (episodes will be uploaded by title as individual chapters). Analysis focuses on Pam's character development on emotional and psychological levels with emphasis on how her behavior impacts JAM. Also included are the QTPs (Question to Ponder) that incited so much discussion on the NBC message boards.
Categories: Jim and Pam, Episode Related Characters: Pam
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: The Pam Dichotomy
Chapters: 26 Completed: Yes Word count: 84673 Read: 54321 Published: June 28, 2016 Updated: August 09, 2016
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. Chapter 1: Gay Witch Hunt by scrantonbranch

2. Chapter 2: The Convention by scrantonbranch

3. Chapter 3: The Coup by scrantonbranch

4. Chapter 4: Grief Counseling by scrantonbranch

5. Chapter 5: Initiation by scrantonbranch

6. Chapter 6: Diwali by scrantonbranch

7. Chapter 7: Branch Closing by scrantonbranch

8. Chapter 8: The Merger by scrantonbranch

9. Chapter 9: The Convict by scrantonbranch

10. Chapter 10: A Benihana Christmas by scrantonbranch

11. Chapter 11: Back From Vacation by scrantonbranch

12. Chapter 12: Traveling Salesman by scrantonbranch

13. Chapter 13: The Return by scrantonbranch

14. Chapter 14: Ben Franklin by scrantonbranch

15. Chapter 15: Phyllis's Wedding by scrantonbranch

16. Chapter 16: Business School by scrantonbranch

17. Chapter 17: Cocktails by scrantonbranch

18. Chapter 18: Traveling Salesmen Newpeat by scrantonbranch

19. Chapter 19: The Negotiation by scrantonbranch

20. Chapter 20: Safety Training by scrantonbranch

21. Chapter 21: Product Recall by scrantonbranch

22. Chapter 22: Women's Appreciation by scrantonbranch

23. Chapter 23: Beach Games by scrantonbranch

24. Chapter 24: The Job, Part 1 by scrantonbranch

25. Chapter 25: The Job, Part 2 by scrantonbranch

26. Chapter 26: The Job: Part 3 by scrantonbranch

Chapter 1: Gay Witch Hunt by scrantonbranch

Wow. What an opener! Aside from being hilarious, the episode gave us major JAM developments. Many have stated that the JAM resolution was hurried, lacked emotional depth, and was out of character. Initially, I agreed with this perception. However, after repeated viewings and pensive thought I've come to a completely different conclusion. The 45 seconds (or so) of after kiss footage is packed with meaning and emotion. Pam's reaction was indeed in alignment with previous behavior patterns.

The Kiss Aftermath:

Pam initially responds to the kiss in a positive way. Jim has given her the reassurance she needs to let out her feelings, even if only for a moment. She also felt safe enough to admit that the kiss was something she's also wanted to do for a long time. She still views Jim as her safety net, even though her fear is now centered on him. She is not necessarily afraid of him, but rather the relationship he's proposing.

She searches his face for answers after she says "Me too." Even though she is still allowing her emotions to run free, she is oddly still looking to him for strength and for how she should respond next. This is a very confusing place for her to be. It's highly probable that she did not want to reveal her feelings to him as quickly as she did due to the fact that this will take her to a place she fears the most; the unknown. She wasn't ready to deal with Jim's revelation earlier in the evening and now he has raised the bar to a higher level. She feels like she's backed into a corner, hence the momentary lapse in suppressing her emotions.

She was clearly overwhelmed by the situation and quickly reassembles her emotional defense barriers. She does this mainly because she is not ready to deal with her emotions regarding Jim. She has not had the same amount of time or freedom as Jim to explore her feelings. This is the first time she's really allowed herself to openly express and experience these feelings. Furthermore, it's the first time she's ever given Jim an undeniable indicator of how she feels about him, which in turn creates a sense of apprehension.

Pam starts to go into panic mode after she realizes she's revealed too much. She's desperate to find a way out of it. Pam's defense mode is noticeably weaker than during Jim's confession, mainly because her feelings are overwhelming her and they are creating a massive internal conflict. She hasn't been able to bottle it up yet and bury it as per her normal course of action. She is perhaps still under the spell of that kiss (who wouldn't be!).

Trying to escape, she brings up that they both might be drunk. This comment serves two purposes:

1. She is trying to find an excuse for why she let Jim kiss her in the first place and why she kissed him back without having to fully confront the fact that she loves Jim.

2. She's trying to send a signal to Jim not to pursue this any further. She needs him to back off; she's not ready.

She instantly realizes that Jim is not buying it or backing down. We can safely assume this because she is honest with him when he asks if she's drunk she admits "No."This is another emotional lapse. Again, she is admitting how she feels. However, she's still not ready to deal with her emotions. The tone of the "no"is very important here. She's realizing that her drunk excuse is lame and invalid, which causes her to wonder, If I'm not drunk, then what is it? The answer to that question is more than she can handle. She is slowly realizing the extent of her love for Jim and it terrifies her.

Adding to her fear is Jim's persistence. Jim pushes it further when he leans in for another kiss, causing her fear level to spike. This fear spike allows for her to suppress her feelings. This is also the moment her moral center fully reawakens. Her moral center is going to provide the escape she is desperate to achieve. Her fear and sense of being overwhelmed are apparent in her breathing just before she stops him. Her breath is sudden and trembling. She simply says his name, but really she is again saying, "I can't."She can't allow him to do it again, as she has barely regained her composure from the last kiss! Jim stepped over the line with the first kiss. A second kiss is too much, too fast, and way too far over the line.

Pam's moral center brings back that sense of obligation in her commitment to Roy. Even though she let her feelings for Jim come out, she still will not do anything about them as long as she is with Roy. Running to Jim at this point is wrong regardless of whether or not she's ready to leave Roy. Roy is still in the picture and Pam doesn't have it in her to cheat on any level.

In order to regain some normalcy, Pam restores her personal safety net by reverting to the notion that she is going to marry Roy. She has used this as a way to hide from her feelings throughout Season 2. She knows this will cause Jim to back down, as it has in the past. Pam's longstanding fears of the unknown are coming back to haunt her. Jim is offering her a new relationship that has no guarantees. She is experiencing emotions that are new, confusing, uncertain, and insecure.

As a result she brings herself to the one constant in her life to dispel the chaos: her impending marriage to Roy. As she nods in response to Jim's "You're really going to marry him,"she looks resigned to the fact that this is the right choice. The nod itself also has deeper meaning. This is the gentlest way to let Jim down. She knows he is already hurt and she doesn't want to make it worse. There is really nothing more she can say.

Bottom Line: She is simply not ready to contemplate a new relationship with Jim.

Current Status:

The events of Casino Night served as the catalyst Pam needed to make some serious changes in her life. Granted, she didn't make these changes until a few days before her wedding. Nonetheless, Jim succeeded in shaking her emotional core. She is more aware of her feelings, but she is still not ready to act on them.

Her experience with Jim helped her to realize that her relationship with Roy is no longer needed. She stated that she "needed to get out of that relationship," which tells me that Jim made her realize how Roy is stifling her as a person. Jim gave her the freedom to be herself and now that he's gone, she no longer has that freedom. So, she breaks away from Roy as a way to get that freedom back.

A large part of this break is the fact that Pam realizes she no longer loves Roy and has huge doubts about the relationship in general. She gives cold feet as the reason for backing out of the wedding, but offers no details. She won't talk about Jim, but we can reasonably assume that her reasons revolve around him.

For the first time, Pam is ready to explore a future without Roy. This never would have happened without Jim. He gave her the courage to step out on her own, when he asked her to be with him. This was the first time she thought about being with someone else on a conscious level. It's also possible her cold feet originated from the fact that she allowed Jim to kiss her. Pam can't marry Roy when she is able to and wants to kiss someone else. However, it took almost a month to get the courage to act on her feelings!

She may have mustered up the courage to leave Roy, but she didn't have enough leftover to go after Jim. Part of this lies again with her moral center. She still cares about Roy and doesn't want to hurt him by being with someone else right away, especially Jim. On the other hand, she's still not ready to be with Jim. She's just left a long-term relationship and she's no about to go jumping into another one.

Pam needs time to be alone and discover who she is without Roy and perhaps work through her emotional idiosyncrasies concerning Jim. She needs to find herself and what she wants. Pam has already found her independence by having her own apartment. This is a huge leap for Pam as she is afraid of the unknown, but it fits with her need to be alone.

She is also taking part in art classes, which is her way to break the restrictions Roy had placed on her dreams. She didn't go for the internship in Boys and Girls, so now she is taking steps towards achieving her dreams. These actions solidify Pam's resolved to make it on her own. This surge of confidence originated from Jim, as she was reliant on him for her self worth, but she has learned to transfer some of this reliance to herself.

She is still in a fragile state, due to the fact that this is all very new and uncharted. We can realistically assume that Pam has no doubt that she made the right decision. She treats Roy with an air of indifference when he comes by to bring her lunch. It is obvious that she considers the relationship over.

Even though Pam is moving on from Roy, she is having difficulty moving away from Jim. She misses him. She's realizing how much of a fixture he was in her life. We see this in several instances. She keeps looking up and staring at Ryan in Jim's old desk. This is a combination of habit and wishful thinking. She's hasn't adjusted to his absence. The fact that he crossed the line before she was ready is inconsequential. She still wants him in her life. This, however, creates a conflict.

She may want him in her life, but she knows she can't handle him in her life. We see her fighting the impulse to think about him throughout the episode. We also see Pam reverting to her Jim habits. The absence of Jim has created a void in her life. In the conference room she leans over to Ryan to laugh at Michael's antics. She is startled and saddened when to realize its not Jim sitting next to her.

This void is furthered when Jim's gaydar package arrives for Dwight (excuse me while I have a little chuckle. God, that was funny). Pam laughs as Dwight uses it, appreciating Jim's humor as she always has. Nevertheless, she is saddened that she can't share the moment with Jim. She is feeling his presence and that accentuates the void of his absence. Again, she is realizing how much she needs him and is further realizing her feelings for him. The longer she is without him, the more ready she becomes to explore those feelings and eventually act on them.

Bottom Line: Pam has found the courage to leave Roy and start over. But, she does not have the courage to face her feelings for Jim.

- - -

I was hoping the season premiere would clear up my multiple personality disorder, but clearly the JAM optimist and pessimist are still in play. Even though this episode is remarkably in the JAM optimist's favor, the pessimist has enough scraps to hang on!

JAM Optimist:

- She's not married
- She broke up with Roy
- It was her decision to call off the wedding
- She let Jim see some of her feelings
- She allowed Jim to hold her hands
- She misses Jim
- She's taking time for herself

JAM Pessimist:

- She's found her independence and she may not need Jim anymore.
- She turned him down again, despite the fact that she had the perfect opportunity to say yes.
- She's not ready and may never be ready.

What makes this particular analysis so difficult is that there are a number of unknown variables. Here's a list of what we don't know that will have an impact on the accuracy of the above analysis:

1. Does Roy know about the events of Casino Night?

2. Has there been any contact between Jim and Pam?

3. How did Jim and Pam acted around one another prior to his departure? When did Jim leave?

End Notes:
This post was written ten years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I've decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there's something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.
Chapter 2: The Convention by scrantonbranch
What an episode for my split personality! This is the biggest division I've experienced since Casino Night. For this edition, I will be reverting to my previous method of discussing arguments via the JAM optimist and the JAM pessimist. Events from The Convention can be interpreted in so many different ways! I didn't have much to work with for Pam in this episode, but nonetheless here are my observations.

JAM Optimist:

1. Pam is dating.

The fact that Pam is dating is huge for the JAM optimist. In the original Pam Dichotomy, this is a huge point. Pam needs to take some time for herself to figure out who she is and what she wants out of a relationship. Pam made the statement that she hasn't been on a first date in 9 years. She needs to get out there and explore. This is the only way Pam can come to the eventual conclusion that Jim is the one for her.

The optimist in me is loving it that Pam is dating. This means she is not thinking about Roy, and is trying to move past that part of her life. She seemed very excited and hopeful the entire day. She was asking for advice and reading her prospective date's cartoons. This is a woman ready to move on. She doesn't care what direction, as long as its away from Roy.

2. The Jim Void.

Pam's dating can also directly relate to Jim. Pam has been without Jim for at least a few months with assumingly little or no contact. She has a massive void that she is trying to fill. Pam initially tried to fill this void with Ryan in Gay Witch Hunt in the conference room. She is dating in a desperate attempt to fill the Jim Void. It's clear that she misses him, but she doesn't know how to initiate contact.

This can be interpreted in a couple of ways. Pam may not have told him that she is not married. She doesn't know what to say, and she also doesn't want to give him and indicator that she is ready for a relationship. Furthermore, this is a man she rejected twice. This is an awkward situation, and Pam doesn't know how to deal with it.

Jim is usually the easiest person for her to talk to and now she is finding him impossible to talk to. This all sounds very pessimistic, but this is indeed in the favor of the optimist. Pam will probably continue to date, but she will never find a suitable replacement for Jim. Pam's first date is a good indication of this fact. She had a hard time on her date. It didn't help that her date was an incredible bore, but that how first dates go sometimes! Nonetheless, Pam was uncomfortable. This date accentuated the Jim Void further.

Subsequent dates will cause her to want to pick up the phone more and more to talk to Jim. I believe she knows she will have to be the one to make the first move. Pam also makes the statement that when she meets someone she likes again she will know it. I can't help but think that Jim was on her mind when she said that. She had that longing look on her face. She is in a peculiar state, she wants him in her life, but she is also not quite ready to have him in her life. Once Pam realizes that there is no replacement for Jim, she will be ready for a relationship with him. The JAM optimist is extremely patient in waiting for Pam to find her place in the world.

JAM Pessimist:

1. Pam is dating.

The fact that Pam is dating can also support the JAM pessimist. Pam is very excited about her date. In her talking head, she seems ready to take this step. She is asking for advice and is hopeful for the evening. This is an indicator that she is ready to move on from not only Roy, but also Jim.

Pam realizes that she has burned her bridges in regards to Jim. She turned him down, not once but twice (three times, if you count both I can'ts.). Furthermore, Jim has moved away. She doesn't see any way to salvage any possibility of a relationship. She feels she must move on without Jim. We may see Pam settle for someone who is better than Roy, but not as good as Jim. If anything, Pam is searching for a way to escape the pain of the whole situation. To her, the best way to do this is to move on without Jim.

2. Pam hasn't contacted Jim.

We can't know for sure if Jim and Pam have spoken since Casino Night, but it is obvious that they haven't spoken since Jim moved to Stamford. For Pam, Jim is a soar spot. She knows she hurt him and she doesn't want to face that head on by contacting him. Even thought it hurts her, she is avoiding him. When Michael asks if she has a message for Jim, she freezes up and utters "um." The look on her face clearly shows that she is not ready to talk to him. She wants to, but she will not take that leap. She doesn't know how, and therefore will not take the risk to call him. She is too afraid of what he'll say. Again, her fear of the unknown has returned.

A Michael moment reinforces her resolve not to contact him. She knows Jim heard about her date via Michael. She didn't want Jim to find out. Now that he has, she is even less inclined to initiate contact. She is fearful of hurting Jim further. She is worried that Jim's awareness of her date will cause him to hurt more. Hearing from her will only make it worse.

This lack of contact is creating an even more awkward situation between two previously close friends (and more). The longer the awkward situation continues, the more likely each side will be less inclined to talk to the other. The closeness of the relationship is dwindling and Pam knows it. She doesn't know how to fix it and therefore will not make the attempt. There is a huge sense of hopelessness with Pam when it comes to Jim. She doesn't know what to do. Pam is too afraid to make the first move.

- - -

Something new that we don't know:

- Does Roy know Pam is dating?

Also:

- We didn't get to see Roy at all in this episode! Any thoughts?

Things we still don't know:

- We don't know if Roy knows about the events of Casino Night
- We don't know if Pam has contacted Jim.
- We don't know how Jim and Pam acted around one another prior to his departure.
- We don't know when Jim left.
- We don't know if Jim is aware that Pam is not married
End Notes:
This post was written ten years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I've decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there's something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.
Chapter 3: The Coup by scrantonbranch

It's interesting to watch Pam evolve as a person. She is really making an effort to become a self-assured and independent person. In The Coup we see her making some strides in reinventing herself. The JAM optimist is jumping for joy. Pam is doing everything that will eventually be necessary for JAM to happen. The JAM pessimist, on the other hand, has more reason to believe that Pam will move on without Jim. I'm starting to wonder if these two personalities will become permanent fixtures in my subconscious.

JAM Optimist:

1. Pam is hanging out with different people.

In this episode Pam seems to have furthered her friendship with Kelly. She is also hanging out with the women of the Scranton branch. This is something we've never really seen Pam do. In fact it detracts from a previous statement she made in Boys and Girls. She mentioned that she doesn't really have much in common with any of the women she works with. Pam has lost her best friend and fiancé so now she is desperately searching for someone to help her find her new identity.

Pam has decided to surround herself with women instead of men. This is due largely in part for her need to build her new sense of self without a man. As it turns out, Kelly has provided Pam with new confidence in the last two episodes. She is the one that encouraged Pam to date by fixing her up with a blind date. She is also influenced Pam to buy new clothes online. Kelly genuinely wants to help Pam and be her friend. Kelly made Pam smile with her mention of a fashion show. This suggestion gave Pam the nerve to do something she normally wouldn't. Pam actually looked excited (after initially shying away) at the prospect of showing off her new look, due to Kelly's encouragement and support. This is something Pam needs in order to rebuild her life. This may also prevent her from running back to Roy.

The more comfortable Pam becomes in her new skin, the better it becomes for the JAM Optimist. It is necessary for her to find her identity without Roy, and even without Jim. Jim is obviously on her mind, but she is purposely avoiding him in order to focus on herself. The more she does this, the further away from Roy she will move. It is inevitable that during her voyage of self-discovery, that she will come across her feelings for Jim at some point. Her newfound strength will help her face her feelings for Jim when the situation calls.

Jim will eventually be an individual she will have to face again (he will eventually return via some kind of communication or back to Scranton). She still has not mentioned Jim in her talking heads or during conversation with co-workers. She still isn't ready. She needs to know herself before she can even begin to contemplate the possibility of a relationship with Jim. Pam's new friends will help her find her new identity.

2. Pam is building confidence.

The fact that Pam is moving in new directions, speaks volumes about her resolve to change her life for the better. Even though we saw just a small step in buying new clothes, it's actually a giant leap. With encouragement from Kelly she is brave enough to buy something that shows off her figure. Furthermore, she tries it on and puts on a little "fashion show" for her female co-workers. She is a little insecure when she first comes out, but is quickly reassured when told she looks good. We even see her strike a little pose!

Pam is really stepping out of her box and comfort zone. This really creates a sense of empowerment for Pam. She gets another shot of confidence when Roy take notice and tells her she looks nice. Her response to him shows her new confidence. She has an expression that tells him, Yes I know I look good, this is what you are missing. This is going to do so much for Pam's self confidence and self perception. She knows Roy wants her back, and she loves it. He hasn't noticed her in years, and now he is.

It remains to be seen how this will impact Pam perception of Roy. Granted, we still see Pam's old behavior of self-consciousness, and that will never totally go away. It's just part of her personality. In her talking head she was unsure about her clothing purchases, but still chooses to keep them in order to break her habit of after work pajamas. She was also creeped out by Creed (weren't we all?) which brought back a high self of being self conscious and she changed back into her normal outfit. We are, however, seeing her take chances and try new things.

For the JAM optimist this is immensely important. The only time we ever saw Pam take chances previously, was with Jim. Her strength was completely tied to him. With Jim gone, Pam has had to find this strength within herself (and with the help of new friends). By the looks of things in Stamford, she is going to need a load of strength to hang onto Jim. She is going to have to make the moves and hold onto him, despite his possible attachment to someone else. We need Pam to have enough confidence and strength to face her feelings for Jim and eventually act on them.

The ball is absolutely in her court, now more than ever. It's important to understand that Pam's confidence building program is slow. She is inching along. It will be awhile before we see Pam strong enough to focus her attention on Jim. She has a long way to go. Plus, its safe to assume that she will stumble along the way. On the bright side, Pam is well aware that she is making progress and will continue to work towards her new life.

JAM Pessimist:

1. Pam is getting confident.

Pam's road to building confidence will eventually cause her to be self sufficient enough to move past needing Jim. She will no longer need him to support her. A large part of Pam's connection to Jim has to do with how he supported her and gave her confidence. She's moving in the direction of being able to that on her own. She is becoming a different person. She may "grow out of" Jim. She may find that she needs a different kind of man.

2. Pam liked it when Roy noticed her.

Pam really likes it when Roy told her she looked nice. He hasn't noticed her in years and now he is. Pam may take this as a signal that Roy is changing. She is at a vulnerable point in her life. She is surrounded with change that is sometimes overwhelming. It might be tempting to return to something familiar. Especially when Roy is now giving her the attention she wanted from him when they were together.

3. She has yet to mention Jim.

Pam has only barely acknowledged Jim with her facial expressions. These only come out when she thinks no one is watching. Otherwise, she remains tight-lipped about Jim. She has not even come close to mentioning him in her talking heads or in conversation with co-workers. The longer she avoids him, the larger the divide will become. It's very possible that Pam has decided to make a clean break.

Some Questions to Ponder:

1. Will Pam call Jim?
2. Is Kelly a good friend for Pam?
3. Will Pam rekindle a relationship with Roy?
4. What will Pam's reaction be when she sees Jim again? (You know it will happen!)
5. Is Pam's resolve to reinvent herself a phase? Do you think she will revert to her old ways?

End Notes:
This post was written ten years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I've decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there's something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.
Chapter 4: Grief Counseling by scrantonbranch
Pam was fabulous in this episode! She is certainly taking her new confidence for a spin. It was extremely interesting to see Pam's playful side without the presence of Jim. The JAM optimist is still flying high with Pam's current behaviors. She is breaking out of her shell! The JAM pessimist however, is still hanging on. Roy is definitely making things more complicated. Pam seems to be holding to her decision to get out of that relationship. Time will tell if she is strong enough to resist the temptation to go back to him.

JAM optimist:

1. Pam is the new office ringleader.

Pam's humor comes out with flying colors this week. It's interesting to see her humor on its own. Prior to Season 3, we've only seen Pam's humor play off of Jim. He's always been the catalyst for her humor, and their patented teamwork when pulling pranks on Dwight. Now she's doing it on her own!

Pam pulled off three instances of fabulous hilarity. She first gives Michael a hard time, by making him go down and get coffee from the "warehouse," much to the delight of her co-workers. I love how she played off of Michael's sad attempt to entertain the troops. She became the star of his show!

She then plays with Michael's head a little more by starting movie death stories in the conference room grief counseling session. I couldn't help but think that this had Jim's name all over it. It's exactly the same king of thing he would have pulled if he was there.

Next, we see her telling Dwight to get his recorder. Again, she uses the same subtle tone Jim would have used to sound dead serious. Oddly enough, she has taken on some of Jim's mannerisms when pulling off this joke. She did an arm pump (Jim does this a couple of times in Season 2) and looked into the camera (Jim's looks - need I say more!), just like Jim.

It's very possible that she is using humor as a way to cope with the Jim Void. She is still feeling the absence of Jim, but humor does help to heal that wound. It's a way to be with him on some level. He may not be in room, (or even the same state), but his presence can still be felt if she replicates his humor in the office. This is most likely done on a subconscious level.

Pam still isn't ready to face her feelings for Jim head-on. Her antics, however, are helping her get closer. She is eventually going to want to share the laughter with him, as they did in the past. It always brought them close. She will begin to miss him even more. She is going to have to deal with him eventually and humor is helping her get to that point.

Pam's ringleader status can also be attributed to her newfound confidence level. She feels comfortable enough with herself to go at it alone. She seems to be enjoying the attention from her co-workers. She is having fun and Pam really needs that. She is in the middle of huge life changes and a confusing emotional situation. Laughter really is the best medicine.

The optimist is hoping that Pam will pull off a great prank in the near future and she will be unable to resist the temptation to call Jim and tell him about it, (far fetched I know, but I'm getting desperate for Pam to do something, anything the relates to Jim). More realistically, the optimist is hoping that Pam's ringleader status will bring her even more self-assurance. She needs all she can get in order to face Jim at some point.

2. Pam is unimpressed with the "new" Roy.

At first Pam seems happy and appreciative that Roy has "rescued" her from the grief counseling session. She probably would've been happy with anyone who could get her out of the session! We again see her behave civilly and even kindly to Roy. She doesn't mind talking about her car with him, as it is a symbol of her new life without him. She can again show him what he is missing.

However, after small talk, she becomes uncomfortable. Pam is well aware that Roy is trying to win her back. She is being careful not to give him mixed signals. She is probably also aware of her own vulnerability. Anyone who has left a long term relationship, questions themselves on whether they did the right thing. Furthermore, the temptation to go back takes a while to dissipate.

Pam is careful to keep her distance from Roy. She leans on another care and doesn't follow him around her car. She also makes limited eye contact. Once Roy makes mention of her personal habit of speeding, Pam's level of discomfort heightens. She doesn't want to be reminded of her relationship with him, and Roy is bringing it into the limelight. Her expression is one of, Can we go back inside now? She wants the situation to end.

Roy is blatantly trying to show her how well he knows her and that he does pay attention to her. Pam is not buying it. She is too smart for that. She even looks a little annoyed at his attempt. Roy did not make a new impression on her! If anything he has strengthened her resolve to define herself without him.

3. Pam sang.

If this isn't a glowing example of how much Pam has built up her confidence, I don't know what is! Old Pam would never have sung in front of all of her co-workers. Way to go Pam! (Now go get Jim!)

JAM Pessimist:

1. Pam still hasn't mentioned Jim.

It's episode 4 and Pam still is the strong silent type when it comes to Jim. She hasn't uttered a word in talking heads, conversations, or anything! Zilch! As I said last week, she may be trying to avoid him to numb her feelings and make a clean break. The longer she refuses to acknowledge him, the larger the divide will become. If she's refusing to deal with him on the outside, it stands to reason that she is attempting to avoid him on the inside as well. Either way, it does not bode will for JAM.

2. Pam hung out with Roy.

Pam did decide to go on a break with Roy. She was surprised and even a little impressed that he thought of helping her. The pessimist can't help but think that Roy is making some headway in winning Pam back. After all, she is talking to him and has not shut him out of her life completely. There is a strong possibility that these two will become friends despite the cancelled wedding.

The pessimist sees the possibility of Roy taking Jim's place. Roy is mainly an avenue to avoid Jim. Seeing as Pam is trying to avoid all thoughts of Jim, Roy is a natural replacement. There is no mystery involved with him and that is a welcome break for Pam. The pessimist also sees the danger that this can bring. Pam and Roy may spend more time together, thus rekindling their relationship.

- - -

Now its your turn! What did you think of Pam in Grief Counseling??

Questions to Ponder:

1. How much longer before Pam mentions Jim? How will the topic of Jim come up, (talking head, conversation, etc.)?
2. Will Pam tell Kelly about what happened with Jim on Casino Night?
3. Will Pam and Roy become friends? Or more again?
4. Is Pam ready to talk to Jim yet?
End Notes:
This post was written ten years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I've decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there's something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.
Chapter 5: Initiation by scrantonbranch

Finally! After months of no interaction, Jim and Pam cross paths on an accidental phone encounter. The conversation itself was a return to Pam and Jim's deep connection to one another. Even though they kept the conversation light and friendly, there are deeper connotations.

There is more than one conversation going on here, both in what is being said and what is not being said. Both carefully avoided the awkward topic of Casino Night and subsequent events. Both are thankful for the familiarity of each other, as neither has experienced this type of familiarity in months. Neither Jim nor Pam are going to bring up anything that will detract from this sense of comfort, despite the obvious tensions and awkwardness. There's effort on both sides to preserve the comfortable aspects of their prior relationship.

Pam handled herself quite well, despite the fact that she was caught off guard.
After her initial shock of hearing his voice, she was happy to hear from him. It's obvious that Pam's new sense of confidence surely helped her find the strength to talk to Jim. Both the JAM optimist and pessimist are grabbing at arguments to support their viewpoints. Each side has a little something to grab onto!

I will be breaking from my normal pattern of dividing the JAM optimist and pessimist viewpoints. There is so much footage, that I will revert to a scene-by-scene analysis followed by brief optimist and pessimist arguments that relate back to the analysis.

Beginning of Conversation:

Pam is totally shocked when she hears Jim's voice on the phone. This is followed closely by fear. All the feelings she's been burying are now right in front of her with no escape. She has no choice but to face them head on. Luckily, Pam has built up enough confidence to keep her from cracking or running away. Despite her shock and fear she also has a deeper emotion of being glad to hear his voice.

We see this come to life after Jim says "Hi" to her a second time. Pam needed to feel that Jim had no ill will towards her. She really had no idea how he felt about her following Casino Night. She felt comfortable enough to give him a softer and more friendly "Hi." However, there is still some hesitancy and awkwardness in the air. Pam is thankful for the open-ended question that Jim poses in regards her still being at work. It gives her an answer she doesn't have to think about and shifts the topic of conversation to Michael.

Pam loves it that Jim asks for a copy of Michael's daily activity log. This is a nice reversion to their previous relationship of friendship. However, this leads to an awkward silence in which neither knows what to say next. It's here that we know Pam wants to hear more from Jim. She is actually waiting for him to say something to further the conversation. He has, after all, been the catalyst for the conversation thus far. When he doesn't say anything, she jumps in and breaks the silence with "so." The awkward exchange of words that ensues flusters Pam.

It goes back and forth a couple times until Jim throws the ball in Pam's court when he says "I'm sorry, go ahead." At this point Pam is cornered and panicking. She doesn't know what to say so she comes up with the old stand by of "everything is pretty much the same here."It's a safe conversation starter, but Pam feels silly saying it, especially after such an awkward exchange beforehand. She probably would've like to come up with something a little more interesting. Her emotions begin to seep into the conversation. She goes on to say that things are "a little different."Hidden in this statement is her admission that she misses him (Jim picked up on it too - but I'll save that for The Jim Paradox!). She is letting him know that it just isn't the same without him. There is a hint of sadness in her voice that gives away her feelings on his absence.

Pam realizes this as well and again becomes flustered. It is getting too emotional and she isn't ready to face those emotions yet. Both are trying very hard to avoid the awkwardness associated with the Casino Night and their subsequent lack of communication. Pam is desperate to find a way out of the awkwardness and emotional weight of the conversation without ending it. She misses him so much and if feel so good to hear his voice. Out of her nervousness she asks another question without really thinking about it. When she asks about the time, she doesn't really care about the answer. She is trying to save face and keep him on the phone. It comes out weird and she again feels silly.

Jim actually puts her at ease by how he answers it in a teasing fashion. He gives her the comfort level she needs to laugh at herself and calm her nervousness. This calming effect lasts longer when Jim asks playfully, "How far did you think we were?"Pam again slips into a more emotional state when she answers "I don't know, it felt far."She is again telling him she misses him. Jim in turn responds with "yeah,"which in turn lets her know that he misses her too. Both are able to pick up on the innuendo, so it isn't necessary to come right out and say it.

They share a close connection that exists beyond the words spoken, it extends to what is not being said. Both are aware that the other is not ready to explore the emotions associated with their past. This exchange brings back the closeness that both have missed for so long. It's enough for Pam to know that Jim misses her, (and likewise for Jim). That being said, neither is ready to go beyond that emotionally, but it does opens the door for further conversation. Both want the conversation to continue, but without the emotionally awkward baggage. They need the familiarity of their connection, so they are going to revert to a lighter mode of conversation that is reminiscent of their prior friendship.

How fast can you type?:

After the initial awkwardness we see Pam and Jim fall into the familiar pattern of playful banter that characterized their relationship before the kiss. This is actually a defense mechanism. We've seen this very mechanism used throughout season one and two. In order to avoid facing her feelings for Jim, Pam always engaged in playful lighthearted conversations, humor, and even a little light flirting. It's a nice distraction and it's innocent enough to mask the serious emotions she has for him. This is something both of them have engaged in for different reasons. Pam has always needed this mechanism to stay true to her moral center. She needed to see Jim as only a friend.

In this scenario however, everything has changed. She is now more worried about how Jim is perceiving her following the events of Casino Night. She is afraid that she's lost his good favor. She is also still unwilling and unable to fully contemplate her feelings for Jim. She is still in the same boat as before: she is not ready. She may no longer be attached to Roy, but she is still not ready to be with Jim. This defense mechanism helps her feel out Jim's perception toward her (is he mad, hurt, etc) and gives her the ability to keep her feelings hidden until she's ready to deal with them.

Pam is also dealing with a large amount of guilt. She hasn't come to terms with hurting Jim yet. She knows he left because of her and that is a hard thing to swallow. She is not sure how to even address this with Jim or herself and therefore wants to avoid it all costs. This defense mechanism is helping to keep all that buried for now.

We see Pam go along with Jim's light conversation regarding typing speed in order to satisfy her need to keep her emotions pushed down. She seems thrilled to be able to talk to her best friend again, despite recent events. Jim's playful tone gives her the reassurance that she can lay down her fears of Jim's possible resentment towards her. It's a welcome and needed conversation.

She even feels reassured enough to tease him. Again, the smile on her face shows how much she is enjoying this little reunion. She is laughing with him and teasing him the same way she did when he was in Scranton. There is even a little flirting going on as she pokes fun at his typing skills and laughs. She likes hearing his jokes again, as he always had a knack for making her laugh. As established in previous posts, humor was a major connecting factor for these two.

Not only is this conversation of defense mechanism, it is an escape route. Pam's life is full of change and Jim is giving her something familiar. He is giving her an escape from her uncertainty with the comfort of his voice and laugh. Even if just for a little while, things feel as they were before. Neither wants to bring up the events of Casino Night, so this light random conversation allows them to rekindle their connection without having to talk about a painful situation. Pam is particularly thankful for this as she is the one with the most explaining to do. The ball was in her court and she did not make a move before he left. This light conversation gives her that safety net she needs.

As long as the playful conversation continues she is safe from having to deal with her emotions, nor does she have to talk to Jim about Casino Night, (interestingly, Jim is once again part of creating that safety net). Plus, she is able to reconnect with her best friend. Pam desperately wants her friend back. She has yet to find a connection with anyone else since Jim left. She is trying with Kelly, but there is no substitute for Jim.

Movie Story:

An obviously large amount of time has passed. The conversation has grown more in depth and familiar. Almost all elements of awkwardness have disappeared. It's this part of the conversation that we learn Pam has told Jim all about her new apartment and basically her new life. Supposedly this took place prior to the noticeable cut, which was in place to show the passage of time. The prior portion of the conversation probably gave Pam the reassurance and comfort level she needed to be able to tell him about her life without Roy.

After the cut, Pam is telling Jim a story about how she'd mixed up "28 Days" with "28 Days Later" while at Blockbuster. Part of reason Pam tells this story is that she knows Jim will get a kick out of it. She is encouraging him to tease her and wants him to laugh. There are, however, a multitude of deeper meanings associated with Pam's descriptions within her story. Pam reveals a lot about herself and her emotional state without even realizing it. She starts out describing that all she wanted was a comfortable night at home alone. She goes on to describe how scary the movie was. This creates a vivid picture of her scared and alone in her apartment. This oddly parallels the reality of her life. She is embarking on whole new part of her life and it is a little scary. Plus, she is having to do it on her own. This is an insight into her vulnerability. She is still in a fragile state.

On another level, Pam is comfortable enough to tell Jim about being on her own and admit her weaknesses. This is of course all under the guise of friendly conversation! It's actually kind of cute how Pam defended herself in regards to her mistake in picking the wrong movie title. She probably knew Jim would give her a hard time and relished in her ability to make him laugh. It's another example of the desire she has to reconnect with Jim.

Jim does in fact tease her and calls her "fancy new Beesly." Pam is delighted with this nickname and continues the playfulness, by poking fun at her new living conditions. The sarcasm in her voice is actually an invitation for Jim to continue his teasing. This is another strive towards raising the comfort level between them. They've always connected by either picking on Dwight or on each other. It's the humor connection, again!

It's easy to sense the pride Pam has in all she has accomplished since Jim left. She's on her own, she has her own apartment, and she has reinvented herself. She is happy to be able to share it with him. This is a tricky topic to address as it can easily lead to the topic of the wedding cancellation and the tensions between them. Hence, the sarcasm and joking manner in which she addresses her apartment. She knows to keep it light and funny in order to avoid having the conversation spiral into emotionally heavy and awkward topics.

End of Call:

In the middle of Jim and Pam's banter on her apartment, Ryan enters the office. His haggard state elicits concern from Pam. She is naturally a kind and compassionate person, so she is willing to interrupt her attention to the conversation to check up on Ryan. Unfortunately, this breaks her concentration. She accidentally takes her hand off the phone and tells Ryan goodbye. Jim takes it the wrong way and Pam and realizes it right away. She immediately tries to save the conversation, but the awkwardness has already come back. She knows Jim thinks she is trying to get out of the conversation, or just trying to get off the phone. She's afraid that he thinks she was trying to get rid of him.

Another awkward series of words are exchanged. Both are trying to save to conversation, unaware that the other is doing the same thing. Both are now under the impression that the other is trying to get out of the call. Pam falls into the natural trap of asking Jim if he has to go. When he says "yeah," she does the next second nature thing of saying she should probably go as well (c'mon we've all done it!). Her regret with this statement is immediately obvious. She desperately wants to save the conversation. She makes one more effort, but soon after realizes the futility of it with "I mean . . . yeah." The flow and playfulness of the conversation has been broken and replaced with the initial awkwardness and hints of the hurt that exists between them.

Interestingly, she waits for Jim to revive the conversation. She's hoping he can find something funny or light to say to bring it back. Silence is all that follows. She is also unwilling to be the first to say goodbye. She doesn't want to let him go, its all over her face. This is the closest she's had him in her life for months. The call itself reminded her of how much she needs him. It also means she can no longer hide behind the conversation. All of her feelings are bubbling to the surface and she knows she will have to deal with them on some level after she hangs up.

When Jim finally says goodbye, she knows it's over. Sadly, Pam has to say goodbye to him all over again. She even waits for him to hang up the phone first. Part of me believes she is still holding out hope that the conversation will start again, but realistically she having trouble letting go. While hanging up the phone, she is worried that she's hurt Jim again. She knows her accidental goodbye was taken the wrong way and she didn't get the chance to explain it to him. We see Pam then shift to an expression of longing. Talking to him has amplified how much she misses him. She has to return to the reality of her life without him. She can't help but sneak a look at Jim's empty former chair. It signifies the hole in her life that the absence of Jim has created.

Sadly, all the awkwardness and distance that was somewhat remedied during the conversation has totally come back. If anything, this part of the conversation showcases the thin veneer of the defense mechanisms in place throughout the conversation. A tiny interruption destroyed the already fragile safety nets in place. As much as they try to hide from the tension, hurt, and awkwardness between them, it's still there and needs to be dealt with. Unfortunately, neither is ready to go down that road.

Generalities:

The conversation as whole shows Jim and Pam's connection transcends all that divides them. Both feel the need to be around each other so much, that they are willing to put aside difficult emotional issues in order to hear each other's voice. They feel the void of each other's absence very deeply. They talked for a long time! This was not just a casual 15 minute conversation. The windows in Jim's office clearly show time has passed. At the beginning of the conversation the sun is still up while at the end it is clearly dark outside. We have no way of knowing how long they spoke, but the fact that two cuts were made in the conversation lends to the conclusion that is was a substantial amount of time. We need to take into consideration that they probably would've talked longer had it not been for Ryan.

Did anyone else notice the conversation was centered mostly around Pam? She didn't really step out on a limb and ask Jim about his new life. She probably avoided this topic out of fear. She may be fearful that he's found someone new. This is Pam's jealousy kicking in again. She simply isn't ready to know and/or doesn't want to know.

- - -

JAM Optimist:

1. Pam misses Jim and was happy to hear from him
2. Pam and Jim haven't lost their connection
3. Pam teased and flirted with Jim
4. Pam didn't want the conversation to end, nor did she want to say goodbye

JAM Pessimist:

1. Pam wouldn't address the issues of Casino Night. Until she (and Jim) do this, JAM will not happen.
2. The conversation ended awkwardly with a lot of pain in the air. We are essentially right back where we started. Most of the issues dividing them are still in place.
3. The conversation happened by chance. Neither intended to initiate it.

Questions to Ponder:

1. Will there be subsequent communication? If so, who will initiate and what form of communication will be used?
2. Will this conversation open Pam up to talking about Jim in her talking heads or elsewhere?
3. Who will be the first to bring up discussion regarding the events of Casino Night? (If of course it's ever brought up as a topic of conversation!)
4. If Ryan didn't interrupt, what else would Jim and Pam have talked about? How much longer would the conversation have lasted?
5. What did Pam do with the teapot Jim gave her for Christmas? (A little off topic I know, but I'm watching Christmas Party as I write this!)

End Notes:
This post was written ten years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I've decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there's something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.
Chapter 6: Diwali by scrantonbranch
The dichotomy within Pam came out with a vengeance tonight! Only the dichotomy is no longer centered on JAM. Pam has become a dichotomy in and of herself. She's going through so many emotional changes so quickly that she can't think fast enough to keep up.

During the first viewing of this episode, I was immensely proud of Pam for going out, having some fun, and finding the courage to contact Jim. However, after repeated viewings, I've come to the realization that many of Pam's actions were not a result of her work in progress confidence.

In reality, many of her actions are manifestations of her old fears and insecurities. She has just found a new way to hide from them. Don't get me wrong, I'm still proud of Pam for deciding not to sit at home and feel sorry for herself. She totally picked herself up and attempted to keep building her confidence. On the outside she was the picture of a happy go lucky single out for a good time. On the inside she is lonely, vulnerable, and fragile.

Again, I'm going to break this down into more manageable chunks. This will be another scene-by-scene analysis. The JAM optimist and pessimist will make an appearance at the end with arguments for both sides.

At the office:

The phone conversation in Initiation obviously has amplified how much Pam misses Jim. She was able to keep it buried until the phone call, but now it's raw and beyond her control. This is the beginning of her actually sorting through some of her feelings regarding Jim. Previously, she had the luxury of dealing with other things since he left (canceling her wedding, dumping Roy, new apartment/car, art classes, etc.). Now, she has nothing to distract her from contemplating the whole Jim situation. This is a little daunting and scary.

She is exuding the lonely vibe right at the beginning of this episode. She is obviously feeling Jim's absence and it's creating a lethargic tendency to hang out at home, (C'mon we've all been there. You're lonely and the couch looks awfully comfortable coupled with a pint of your favorite ice cream). She doesn't know how to handle this influx of emotion so she just wants to shut down. She is just plain lonely. She doesn't really have anyone in her life and that in itself is a little depressing, (plus she doesn't have the one person she really needs in her life).

She decides she's not going to go to the Diwali party because she doesn't have anybody to go with. Pam is extremely self-conscious at this point. She didn't want to admit that this was the reason for her not going. Adding to this is the fact that she letting Kelly down. Pam cares about how other people perceive her. It bothers her that Kelly is disappointed.

Pam is obviously vulnerable. She is not as confident as we thought. Granted she definitely has more than what she started with, but there is still a long way to go. She is emotionally very fragile.

Deciding to go:

Pam ends up deciding to attend Diwali. She shows up in a hoodie and jeans along with her hair down. It looks like she cleaned herself up enough to go out after lounging around at home. Pam wanted to be comfortable while embarking on an uncomfortable situation.

Her decision to go surrounds several reasons. First, she doesn't want to let Kelly down. Kelly has been a good friend and distraction for Pam since Jim left. Pam doesn't want to loose her company. Especially, since she is feeling so alone. Second, she doesn't want to sit around feeling sorry for herself. Pam has worked hard on building her confidence. Subconsciously she doesn't want to undo the gains in her self-confidence. Pam wants to be happy and among friends. She is just trying to figure out what makes her happy and who her friends are without Roy. She realized that sitting at home by herself will not accomplish either one of these goals. The expression on her face and tone of voice when she says "I decided to come," clearly conveyed this idea. She made herself get off the couch, (I'm proud of her for that!). Third, she's thinking that maybe she'll meet someone. This is mostly in the back of her mind.

I remember my singleton days (excuse me as I digress into Bridget Jones!) when I used to feel this way. She has high hopes for the evening. This "someone" doesn't have to be a love connection. This person can maybe be a new friend, or maybe someone she can talk to and laugh with for duration of the party.

Along with all the above reasons, Pam attends Diwali as a way to escape dealing with her thoughts and feelings surrounding Jim. It's a great distraction and gives her a break from the inundation of emotions that she is currently facing. Furthermore, its an escape from her vulnerability. She feels it and it's very uncomfortable. If she goes out she can put on a brave and confident front.

She is actually a little afraid of her vulnerable state. It's completely foreign to her. We even see some of this vulnerability come out as Pam reverts to a state of feeling self conscious. She is worried about how she is dressed. She covers it up with what she wants to be a humorous statement by making fun of Carol's slutty cheerleader outfit. Then she feels bad and becomes self conscious again with "Is that mean?"

She is back to running away from difficult emotional situations. Even though Jim is in another state, her feelings for him are overwhelming her. The phone call brought them to forefront and she's having trouble dealing with them. Only this time she doesn't have Roy to hide behind. Furthermore, she doesn't have her moral center to rely on either. This was a major defense mechanism and escape route whenever her feelings for Jim popped up, and now it's no longer in play since she dumped Roy. This leaves Pam in foreign territory. She had to find another outlet. The Diwali party arrived at just the right moment for Pam's escape.

Dancing:

We next see Pam grooving on the dance floor with a man, (I'm pretty sure it was Wali, the Indian doctor Kelly wanted no part of). Pam looked like she was having a good time, but I can't help but notice that she was really "trying" to have fun. (I have to mention this here -- That's right Roy, walk away. You took her for granted and you've lost her. -- Ahhh, I feel better. Although, that was one heartbreaking face on Roy.). Her dancing and her smile were an escape as well as her attempt to fight her complacency tendency. She is trying to get out there and do things she normally wouldn't. I believe she was having fun and it was good to see her smile and let loose a little, but she is masking the emotional turmoil she is feeling.

I also can't help but think at this point that Pam is hoping that her dancing partner is the "someone" she wanted to meet at the party. He's hanging out with her and is allowing her to escape her tumultuous emotions.

Texting Jim:

Following Michael's proposal debacle, Pam wants to humor herself with the situation. She talks to her dancing partner in a surprisingly "familiar" kind of way. She talks to him as if he were Jim. She's not even really looking at him as she speaks. It's almost like she's imagining or wishing Jim is standing with her. It's here that we see Pam's escape defense breaking down. The guy clearly doesn't get her reference "that's just like Michael," as she was hoping he would. This snaps her back into the reality that Jim is not there, and that brings back all that she is trying to escape.

She is clearly let down that this guy didn't get her sarcasm. The fact that she misses Jim and needs him becomes uncontrollable. She hides it well as she excuses herself and pulls out her cell phone. She is running to the one person who makes her feel safe and relieves her loneliness. Besides, she knows Jim would just love a new story of Michael's antics. Her sarcasm would not be lost on him. This is another manifestation of Pam's insecurity and fears. This has been an evening of vulnerability, loneliness, and a fragile state of mind. She is feeling a little lost and afraid.

She has always gone to Jim for support and the safety net he provided. She is doing it again. Even though he is at the root of her emotional turmoil, he is the only one she feels safe enough to connect with. There is also the desire to just be around him any way she can. Part of her is also probably wondering if the previous conversation was just a fluke or if there is a real chance at reconnection.

Pam probably kept the text message quick and simple. She is in a hurry to get a hold of him, so I don't see her sending him a long message. I also don't see her getting too sappy or emotional. She is going to keep it light and casual for the same reasons as she did in the Initiation conversation. My guess is its something like "Michael Moment. Call me." Michael's antics were the icebreaker in the previous conversation and they are again. Pam has a valid excuse to contact Jim without having to reveal any of her feelings or her vulnerable state. She's wanted to call him all night, and now she has her reason. Both she and Jim know that the comfort level between them isn't high enough to call each other for no reason.

Interestingly, when Angela asks her who she's texting, Pam replies "no one." This has roots in Angela's comments to Pam in the past. The pam-pong incident comes to mind first. Pam knows she'll get some mean spirited comment from Angela if she reveals she's texting Jim. Furthermore, Pam is again feeling self-conscious. She doesn't necessarily want people to know she is contacting Jim. She is naturally a private person, but she mostly doesn't want to drop hints that anything happened between her and Jim prior to his departure. This goes along with her moral center. She was still with Roy at the time. She doesn't want to hurt Roy or face the music for allowing another man to kiss her. Angela would have a field day with that!

Sitting with Michael:

As usual Pam is empathetic to Michael. She is feeling down this evening as well, so she certainly has some understanding of how he feels. After his public embarrassment Pam goes to comfort him. We've seen her do this before in Season 2. As irritating as Michael is, Pam is one of the few people who realizes he is a human being with feelings.

As she walks out to him, notice how she is still holding her cell phone. Either she didn't put it back in her pocket or she just pulled it out again. Both scenarios say the same thing; she is anxiously waiting for Jim to text or call her back. She even checks it again just before she sits down and talks to Michael. It's easy to sense her anticipation and eventual let down when she finds he hasn't responded.

Throughout her conversation with Michael she is still holding onto to her cell with both hands. It's almost like she's holding onto him. The only connection she has to him right now is on that cell. Her statement "I was hoping something would happen tonight, too" directly relates to this. That "something" was reconnecting with Jim. She was hoping he would call her back, proving the previous conversation wasn't a fluke. Her anticipation for Jim's call further illustrates how much she is relying on him to rescue her from the overwhelming emotions of the evening.

We next see Pam stare off into space with an all too familiar longing expression. Although, usually we see this on Jim's face! It's obvious that she is thinking about Jim. A number of thoughts are likely rolling through her head; I miss him. Why hasn't he texted me? Does he want to talk to me? Why did I say no? (I hope that's what she's thinking!). She even looks like she wants to talk about it with Michael. But she won't bring it up, she's waiting for Michael to open the topic. Of course she is snapped back to reality when Michael leans in for a kiss. Yuck! It makes me wonder if Pam was thinking about her kiss with Jim at that moment and was rudely awakened to find Michael inching closer to her!

You've got to love Pam for her response to Michael's repulsive actions. She didn't want to hurt Michael's feeling any further, so she didn't overreact despite her first impulse to do so. This response also goes along with the idea that she is in shock that Michael even tried this! She did a great job standing firm with "I'm rejecting your kiss." Too funny! Despite Michael's inappropriate behavior, she understands why he did it and agrees to give him a ride home "if he sits in the back." That's right Pam, show him you're in charge of the situation! At least she is till showing some signs that her confidence is still firmly in place.

Driving Michael home:

It's easy to read on Pam's face that she has lost her patience with the evening. Nothing turned out how she hoped. She had fun for a little while, but it did not create the full escape she was hoping for. She can't hide from her emotions and on top of that, Michael tried to kiss her. Now he's in the back seat of car being his usual annoying self. Plus, Jim has not called her back. The evening is a total bust. I'm worried about how the evening is going to effect her confidence. I'm hoping its just a temporary set back.

JAM Optimist:

1. She texted Jim. She had the courage to contact him. She wants to reconnect with him and this is a good sign. She isn't avoiding him anymore.

2. She went out despite her initial impulse to stay home. Old Pam never would have picked herself up to go out. This is strong testament to Pam's resolve to reinvent herself. We need a new strong Pam to go after Jim!

3. She still needs Jim. Even though Pam has built a sense of self reliance (which is good), she still needs Jim.

JAM Pessimist:

1. Pam's fears and insecurities are back. Pam needs to work through her fears and insecurities without Jim. If she continues to rely on Jim she will never be fully self-reliant. She needs to find her strength on her own, before she can be with Jim. JAM can't happen until Pam finds her way.

2. Pam's confidence took a hit. She had a bad night. She spent the majority of the evening feeling vulnerable and lonely. This is a dangerous position. She may turn to Roy to alleviate some of these feelings. He is closer (geographically he's in the same state) than Jim at this point.

3. Pam may feel rejected. Jim didn't call her back. Granted she has no idea that he was drunk, but that makes little difference. All she knows is he didn't call. She is likely running scenarios in her mind as to why he didn't call, but she is probably holding on to the one that matches her emotional state; he didn't want to talk to her. This does not bode well for JAM. If she feels Jim has no interest in her anymore, she may give up.

Questions to Ponder:

1. What if Roy had stayed at the Diwali party? Do you think Pam would have hung out with him given her emotional status? Would she have still texted Jim?

2. What did Pam text Jim?

3. Has there been contact since the Initiation conversation, or is Pam's text the first attempt?

4. Will Pam make another attempt at contact?

5. How would you assess Pam's confidence and overall emotional status at this point? Did she take a hit in Diwali or is it just a temporary set back?


On a final note - JIM, PICK UP YOUR CELL PHONE!
End Notes:
This post was written ten years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I've decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there's something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.
Chapter 7: Branch Closing by scrantonbranch
Pam's dichotomous behavior continues in this episode! Her dialogue says one thing while her face says another! On top of that, there is hidden meaning in some of her dialogue. It took a while to pick it all apart, but the bottom line is, she is anxiously awaiting Jim's return, (as we all are). Pam not only gave insight into her feelings for Jim, but she also gave us some clues on how she feels about Roy. Needless to say, the JAM optimist is thrilled.

Unfortunately, we have no idea what happened with Pam's text message. I'm still not happy that this loose end was not addressed. The episode itself gives no clues and neither did Pam. The only clue we have comes from John the prop guy in his myspace blog. He says Jim did not lose his phone in the bushes. All he says is Jim missed the call because he was asleep. Don't all cell phones give alerts when there are missed messages. My phone does! I'm guessing he didn't answer it. There is big news in this episode and neither one contacts the other. Pam is probably scared to call him because of the unanswered text. Jim has his own reasons for not calling (or texting back), but I'll get into that in the Jim Paradox later. How's that for a teaser??

I've included at least one producer's cut scene to this analysis. Pam is just amazing in this scene and it deserved to be analyzed. It's up to you to include it in your accepted sense of the storyline. For me, it doesn't interrupt or detract from storyline developments or previously established behavioral patterns.

I may have inadvertently included other producer cut scenes, but the producer cut (PC) episode was the one sent to me on iTunes. The originally aired episode has already merged with the online version in my head. Added scenes are becoming normal to me! Sorry, if that throws anyone off.

Blessing in Disguise:

Pam, like everyone else, seems happy that the branch is closing. For her, the closing means she has a reason to pursue her art ambitions, (we see her make a reference to this later in the episode, it stands to reason that it's on her mind at this juncture as well). She's already in art school and this gives her a reason to make art her primary focus instead of something she does on the side.

Throughout her talking head she's joking around with her imagined departure from Dunder Mifflin to actual events. All the while, her face is bright at the thought of possible future prospects. This is a great example of Fancy New Beesly. She sees a life outside of her current job. Old Pam was stuck in complacency and would be lost at the news of the branch closing.

Roy at Pam's Desk - Art School (Producer's Cut Scene):

The beginning of this scene shows Pam telling Roy that she's not that upset that the branch is closing. Again, she is being nice to Roy, for the sake of being nice. The conversation then turns to Roy encouraging Pam to go to art school. Pam knows exactly what he's up to. He's busy trying everything he can to get into her good graces and win her back. Pam's face has, Oh, brother here we go again, written all over it. Pam is again, too smart for this.

Pam is more than obliged to tell him she already has, "a while ago." She is intent on emphasizing to Roy that she is not the same person he knew. Pam seemed to relish this moment. Roy felt like an idiot and she got the chance to show him what he's missing. This is telling that Pam likes who she's become without Roy. She is entirely finished with him. Although, she does like the attention. Pam likes it that she has the upper hand over Roy; she probably never had that during the relationship.

Jan's News:

After Jan's announcement that the Scranton branch will remain open, the wheels in Pam's head start to turn. She is shocked that still has a job and Scranton is saved. Jan also makes the announcement that Stamford will be absorbed into Scranton. This is where the butterflies in Pam's stomach start to flutter. Her thoughts immediately turn to Jim. She becomes anxious, nervous, and hopeful all at once. The very idea that he may return to Scranton is exciting and frightening all at the same time. She is excited to see him again, but also fearful to find out how he feels about her.

Pam's brain hasn't quite caught up to Pam's emotions nor her mouth when she asks if anyone is coming "back" to Scranton. This is a big slip on Pam's part. She came very close to asking if Jim was coming back. She doesn't want to reveal her excitement at his possible return in front of Jan and everyone else in the office. This is indicative of the fact that she doesn't want anyone to know what happened on Casino Night, or even have an inkling that anything happened between them. But, she can't help but ask, it just flies out!

As if we didn't know already, she misses him and this slip exemplifies that perfectly. She quickly recovers by restating the question without using "back." Jan doesn't give her a straight answer, which leaves Pam perplexed and still anxious. Her face also conveys a look of hope. Pam is already thinking of a reconnection with Jim. She might have a chance if he returns.

With Ryan in the Break Room:

In the break room, Ryan asks Pam if Jim might be coming back. Pam plays it cool and casual by responding a noticeably thin veil of nonchalance. She tells Ryan she hadn't really thought about and then pretends that it never crossed her mind with a high pitched "huh." This is highly reminiscent of high schoolers that respond with detached no's when asked if they like someone when it is entirely obvious the answer should be "yes." (I'm a high school teacher, I see this everyday!). Pam doesn't want Ryan to know she likes (loves) Jim. She doesn't even want him to know she's thinking about Jim. It's a little embarrassing and even a little painful. Not exactly conversation material with a co-worker she's not really close to.

Ryan then makes the statement that he doesn't "want it to be weird" in regards to Jim's possible return. Pam immediately channels her own thoughts on the very same idea. She is contemplating Ryan's statement on two different levels. First, she is panicking that Ryan knows about her and Jim. This is the last thing she wants. As mentioned in prior posts, Pam doesn't want to be part of the rampant rumor mill in the office. She is a very private person who doesn't want personal aspects of her life out in the open. Plus, she doesn't want to have to talk about or explain Casino Night. It's painful enough to think about it by herself, let alone talk about it with someone else. She is noticeably relieved, when Ryan's comments shift to work related issues. Second, she is thinking that she doesn't want things to be weird between her and Jim when he returns. Despite the fact the Ryan is referring to taking Jim's job and desk, she is in a completely different world. However, she is still able to respond to Ryan without giving him an indication that Jim is on her mind, with "yeah, that might be weird."

This is Pam's dichotomous behavior at it's finest. She is almost double-talking! Her response is in reference to Ryan's statement, but is also referring to the inevitability that things will be weird between her and Jim. There is no way around it, the past will come back to haunt no matter how much Pam wants to escape it. She can't escape the fact that she hurt him and she's beginning to know it.

She shifts the conversation back to Scranton and the fact that they all still have jobs. This is not only to snap herself back into reality, but also a way to make sure Ryan has no idea that Jim is on her mind.

Phyllis at Pam's Desk:

At the end of the day, Phyllis comes over to Pam's desk and (very sweetly) tells Pam "I hear Jim is coming back . . . " Pam's face lights up with anticipation, curiosity, excitement, and hope, a true OMG expression. She anxiously waits for Phyllis to tell her more, but the rest of the office is ushering Phyllis along for drinks at Poor Richard's. Pam is let down that Phyllis can't stay to tell her more, but she still can't bottle up her butterflies (they are back from earlier). Her head is spinning at the thought that Jim is coming back. Again, it almost looks like she's thinking she has another chance.

I must stop here for a moment and give Phyllis JAM snaps. She has been a quiet supporter of these two all through season 2 (notably in E-Mail Surveillance and Conflict Resolution). I'm hoping that she will have a role in getting JAM together! What a sweetheart!

Roy at Pam's Desk #2:

Roy decides to come back to Pam's desk in another desperate attempt at small talk. He is again trying gain her favor. Pam is again being nice to him, as always. But this time, she appears to have grown weary of Roy. She looks annoyed. He's already come to her desk once today with a sad attempt to reconnect. Her expression reads almost like a "go away" sign. But, our sweet Pam is too nice to tell Roy to leave her alone.

She is probably still harboring guilt to for leaving him, even though she has no regrets. It's here that we see more of Pam's double meaning dialogue. Her words can be interpreted on more than one level. Roy tells Pam that he is glad she's going to still be working at her job. Really he's telling her he's happy she'll still be around him. Pam picks up on this, as a less obvious, Oh, brother, expression fills her eyes. She responds with "yeah, me too."

Even though her response is geared towards addressing Roy, she is really thinking that she's glad to still be at her job, because Jim is coming back. She says it detached enough so not to give Roy the wrong impression, but also with enough emotion to indicate that she's thinking about Jim. She also avoids giving Roy direct eye contact when she says this. She doesn't want him to think she's glad to still be at her job because of him.

Roy is obviously trying to create a meaningful moment and Pam wants no part of it. She's in her "happy Jim thoughts" anyway. Pam decides to lighten the moment by stating "it'll be a pain to find a new job," as a way to fend off Roy and rationalize her excitement at the merger which will bring Jim back to Scranton. As Roy leaves a small smile graces Pam's face. This smile is in part from Pam's amusement at Roy's lame attempt at connecting with her. However, the biggest part of this smile is the fact she is still giddy from Phyllis's revelation that Jim is coming back.

Talking Head:

Pam's final talking head is wrought with double meaning. She is trying to convey one thing with her words, but she has a double meaning for them in her thoughts. Her face gives her away. Pam again rationalizes her joy at keeping her job by repeating that it would be a pain to find a new job. She goes on and on about the pain of having to learn a new job and getting a new boss in order to justify her internal need to stay. Everything she says is general enough to keep her real feelings hidden. After all, she gives all the reasons why people stay at jobs they hate!

On the inside, Pam knows she is staying because of Jim's impending return. Every word she's saying would be replaced with Jim's name, if we could hear Pam's thoughts. She can hardly keep the joy and anticipation out of her voice. It's almost like she's trying to sound sad (as opposition to her earlier happy talking head when she thought the branch was closing down)! She goes on to say that "there are reasons to stay."

She is telling the camera that Jim is her reason to stay without actually using his name. At first glance, this statement seemingly applied to the reasons she outlined earlier in the talking head, but in reality she is referring to Jim. This is not only a safe assumption from Pam perspective, but also from the episode's scene cut. As she's giving her "reason" statement, we are shifted to a shot of Jim in Stamford. The writers/director obviously want us to see Jim is Pam's reason.

- - -

JAM Optimist:

1. Pam is happy Jim is coming back. Her fears have taken a back seat to her anticipation at his return.

2. Pam is pretty much done with Roy. She is clearly annoyed and tired of Roy's presence at her desk. Probably because it was him instead of Jim. Anyone else notice the parallel between Roy's presence at Pam's desk and Jim? Jim often came to "visit" at Pam's desk. Roy is standing in Jim's place trying to make the same connection and miserably failing.

3. Pam's confidence is high. She isn't letting fear control her possible reconnection with Jim. She is more optimistic of his impending return. It won't be long before she's after him, (I hope)!

JAM Pessimist:

1. Pam may have false hope. If Jim doesn't live up to her expectations of reconnecting she might take it too personally and give up.

Overall, Branch Closing is a smashing JAM optimist victory!

Pam was surprisingly upbeat in this episode. She took a blow in Diwali, but as we all suspected it was a temporary set back. She is obviously hopeful for a real in person reconnection with Jim. This speaks volumes for her confidence level. It is interesting to watch Pam let go of some of her fears in this episode. She seemed more excited than fearful of Jim's return. It's still possible these fears will return once he's back in town, but it seems as though her desire to have him back in her life is overruling her fears. We'll see next week! Woo-Hoo! Jim is coming back to Scranton. I think we are just as excited as Pam!

Questions to Ponder:

1. Will Pam be cautious around Jim or will she immediately try to rekindle their relationship?

2. How will Pam react to Karen's crush on Jim? Will she notice it right away? Explore her possible emotional reactions externally and internally.

3. Pam has always been very private about her feelings for Jim, around everyone from the start. However, in this episode she lets Phyllis see her "real" emotional reaction to Jim's return. Why???

4. Why is Pam still reluctant to talk about Jim in her talking heads? (She has to know the camera caught her talking to Phyllis and her "slip" with Jan, so why is she still tight lipped?)

5. Is Pam suffering from a false sense of hope? Does she really have another chance with Jim? What does she have to do in order to make things right with Jim?
End Notes:
This post was written ten years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I've decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there's something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.
Chapter 8: The Merger by scrantonbranch
After a long wait, Jim and Pam are finally reunited in the Scranton office. As expected, Pam was ecstatic for Jim's return. Unfortunately, the day did not go as Pam had envisioned. In Pam's mind, Jim did not hold up his end of the bargain. Jim was supposed to behave around her the way he always did. When he didn't, Pam's heightened sense of joy spirals into a crestfallen state of mind wrought with confusion, frustration, jealousy, and even a sense of loss.

Although this is a dismal picture, this is a blessing in disguise. Pam needs to go through these emotions. The JAM optimist has argued this throughout the original Dichotomy and this thread. Pam has to experience and understand some of Jim's emotions before she's ready to be in a relationship with him. She has to understand all of his pain before she can begin to address it. It's been argued relentlessly that JAM will not happen until Jim and Pam talk about Casino Night. Pam can't possibly do this until she understands Jim's motives and emotions from that evening. She needs this insight in order to own up to how much she hurt him. She's already carrying around the guilt, but she has to consciously be aware of why she feels guilty.

Her day during The Merger gave her just a teeny tiny taste of Jim's emotional state for the duration of his crush and subsequent actions on Casino Night. She doesn't know it yet, but all of her frustration and jealousy mirrors Jim's emotional state from less than a year ago. The tables have turned! The optimist is actually quite thrilled with the events of The Merger, even though the parking lot scene was tough to watch. Patience is a virtue with JAM. We honestly can't expect Jim and Pam to fall into each other's arms on the first day! There's a lot of pain to work through and a friendship to rebuild first.

Unpacking Food:

It's obvious in just looking at Pam that she's excited for Jim's impending return. She has made an obvious effort at her appearance. She's wearing a different type of sweater than usual and her hair is different. She softened the curls of her hair for smoother more feminine look. She's trying to look pretty for him, (Jenna Fischer confirms this on her live blog. She says Pam "did that for Jim.") Pam is clearly going out of her way to get Jim's attention.

While she's unpacking the fool in the conference room she talks about Jim's return in an impromptu talking head. However, she never mentions him by name. She instead talks about "having an old friend back." She calls him a friend twice. The fact that she does this clues us into to some hidden uneasiness. It's easy to see she's excited and has high hopes. However, she is being very careful about how much she lets the camera see.

This can be attributed to Pam's high sense of privacy, but there is more to it. Pam isn't sure where she stands with Jim. She hasn't spoken to him since the Initiation conversation (most likely) and that ended on an awkward note leading to some confusion about the status of their relationship. Furthermore, he didn't answer her text in Diwali. She doesn't know how Jim feels about her. She's not even sure there is a friendship in place. She doesn't want to embarrass herself by revealing too many of her emotions. So, she plays it down and buries her feelings, again as a defense mechanism. She's not sure if it's okay to show or even allow herself to have feelings for Jim. She won't reveal them unless she knows he feels the same way.

Hugging Jim:

Just as Jim is walking in the door, Pam quickly primps herself by adjusting her hair. She actually gives the camera a quick glance with a face of, This is what I've been waiting for. This is one of the rare instances that she lets the camera see how she feels about Jim. It's a slip. She is so excited she forgot to hide it.

As Jim approaches her desk she smiles at him, but she also has a look of anticipation on her face. She's waiting for him to make the first move. In the midst of him saying "Hi I'm Jim. I'm new here. " Fancy New Beesly (old Pam would never do this) begins to run to him and throws her arms around him. She was careful to resist the temptation to hang onto to him a little longer. She knew she was already pushing it by hugging him in the first place. She kept the hug short and sweet. It was just short of being awkward and she was careful to avoid making it uncomfortable. She just wanted to make sure he knew she was happy to see him.

She needed him to address her in a friendly and familiar way. He used humor to break the ice and it put her immediately at ease. She knows he's using humor to mask the awkwardness of the situation. For her, this is a return to the way it used to be. As previously discussed, humor has always been a source of connection between Jim and Pam. Jim's opening joke was interpreted by Pam with this pretense.

She shoots right back with "I know. I don't care." This is meant to be a joke for Jim, but there are underlying connotations. Pam is also trying to keep the mood light (just like they both did in the Initiation conversation, it's the same defense mechanism), but she also sending Jim a non-verbal message. It's her way of saying, I know what you just did, thank you, but you didn't have to. I'm glad you're here.

Pam never takes her eyes off of him. She's almost in awe of his presence. She so happy he's back in her life. When she tells him "It's really good to see you," she is again speaking in code. She's telling him she missed him and she's glad he's back. She's looks eager for him so say something more. It's almost like she wants him to send her a similar message. She's trying to read him for any indicator of how he feels about her. Pam can tell he's "different" but she can't put her finger on it yet.

She is most likely attributing it to first meeting jitters, but deep down she knows its something more. Her inability to read him actually makes Pam uneasy. It's possible to see just a flicker of that uneasiness a split second before the scene ends. She already has an indicator that things are not back to normal, but she is choosing to ignore it for the time being.

Jim's Desk:

This scene a just a few seconds long, but it speaks volumes about Pam's expectations. As she expected her friendship with Jim to be as it was before, she is expecting him to sit in his old desk, (and so is Jim, apparently). She is clearly disappointed that Jim is sitting with his back to her. She can't really communicate with him if she can't see his face. This is a huge impediment to reconnection and she knows it.

All through season 1 and 2 they sent non-verbal messages to one another due to the ability to look at each other at any given moment. Plus, Pam is probably upset that she can't really "look" at him. She wants to see his face after being separated from him for so long. Look closely and it's possible to see she shoots a somewhat nasty look at Ryan. She's not happy that Ryan refused to give up "Jim's" desk. Especially, since Ryan expressed his concerns over feeling weird about taking the desk.

Conference Room #1 (Lazy Scranton):

We don't know how Pam ended up next to Jim at the table, but in all likelihood she made sure she was next to him. That's just something Fancy New Beesly would do! As the camera pans in we see her fiddling with her hair. She's either primping again or she's just not used to her hair in that style, (girls you know what I'm talking about). It's probably a little bit of both. Pam still hasn't gotten the attention she wants from Jim. The conference room has always been a place where they swap jokes and glances, so she has high hopes that this meeting will have similar results.

She is encouraged when Jim utters "this should be promising," Pam assumes he's talking to her even though he never really looks at her. She jumps at the chance and responds, "You won't be disappointed" as a way to start some playful banter and joking around. Her plan is deflated when Jim is distracted by Karen giving him a piece of gum. Pam was not expecting this at all and is completely thrown off. She looks behind her and checks Karen out head to toe. It's here she realizes Karen might be competition and is a little jealous. Pam may even be suspicious at this point that something might be going on, but she is not ready to let herself believe it yet. She may even start to wonder if this is the reason Jim seemed "different" at their first meeting, (hug scene).

She returns her attention to Jim and sets her head on her hands, but she also leans in closer to Jim. She's is trying to get his attention and she's protecting what she deems as her territory. On her face is yet another expression of disappointment. She doesn't like it that he was so distracted from her. It was never like that before. Adding to her disappointment, Jim doesn't return his attention to her. She keeps looking at him hoping he'll turn and talk to her throughout "Lazy Scranton," but he never does.

Break Room:

Despite the fact that a couple of disappointments have already been racked up for the day, Pam is undaunted. In the break room she finds herself alone with Jim. She figures this is her chance to reconnect. She starts by teasing Jim about his drink choice. She asks him what happen to his usual grape soda. This is her way of reminding him how well she knows him. In teasing him, she is also using humor to break the ice. She knows things have been awkward all day and she's trying to break through the wall that divides them. It's been much more difficult to communicate than she thought.

Fancy New Beesly jumps right in (I love this new Pam!), and ask Jim to go out for coffee after work to catch up. She makes a mistake, though as she gives him an out by mentioning he might still be unpacking. However, we can forgive her, it's been a while since she's been on the singles scene. Nonetheless, it was a daring move on Pam's part. Pam is clearly crushed that he turns her down, but she brushes it off casually. She doesn't want him to see how disappointed she is that he said no. In the back of her mind she thought he might turn her down, but her optimism believed he's say yes. She really didn't expect a "no." There is, however, another reason why she asked him out. This scene happens in succession to the conference room scene. Pam is testing the waters of the Karen Situation. She already has a bit of suspicion surrounding Karen. Part of her motive of asking Jim out was to again try and "read" him. Jim's "no" to her request gave her more reason to be worried about Karen. Furthermore, she is still trying to get an idea of where she stands with Jim. From Pam's perspective, the outlook is starting to look grim.

When Michael first walks in, Pam is actually amused by Michael's stammering, but she doesn't understand what Jim is trying to tell Michael. She looked confused and curious as to why Jim is telling Michael, "don't." She looks at Jim hoping to get an answer, (even if its just an expression -she's still trying to read him) to no avail. She wants to come right out and ask, but she doesn't have the guts at this point (remember, she just suffered a blow).

As Michael leaves, Pam still looks amused. She clearly is trying to goad Jim into a humorous exchange of Michael's interruption and behavior with a non-verbal cue, but Jim doesn't bite. Pam's disappointment is only furthered when Jim doesn't stay back and talk to her a little longer. As he leaves the break room, Pam's discontent and hurt are all over her face. She can't believe how badly it all went. Jim just isn't behaving how she wanted and expected. She doesn't understand why the connection they've always had isn't rekindling. Her old friend is not here and she doesn't know what to do.

Conference Room #2 (Stamford on the table):

Not much going on here, but again Pam is sitting next to Jim. There's no way to know how she ended up next to him, but it's probably safe to speculate once again that she made sure she was in that position. Especially since her suspicions surrounding Karen are at a heightened level. Plus, she's still trying to get Jim's attention. Again, he doesn't really acknowledge her. Deep down, Pam is disappointed again.

Parking Lot - Flat Tires:

After Michael's announcement that everyone's tires are flat, Pam prepares to head outside with the rest of the office. She flashes a smile at Jim. Again, trying to send one of their patented non-verbal messages to him. He doesn't notice her and walks right by her with Karen by his side. Pam fully expected Jim to walk out with her, as he had always done in the past. She is again crushed.

However, nothing could prepare her for what she was about to see as the staff heads back into the building. Initially, out of the corner of her eye, she spots Karen and Jim. She then notices, Karen is rubbing Jim's back. This is the biggest blow Pam has suffered all day. Basically, all of her suspicions of Karen have been confirmed. Nonetheless, she is still shocked and hurt by what she is seeing.

There are a million emotions running through her right now, along with a fast beating heart and a stomach in knots. Among these emotions are jealousy, confusion, and a tinge of rejection. At one point she looks straight at the camera. Her expression says it all; she is crestfallen. All her hopes for the day are gone. It almost looks like she's saying Oh, my God, to herself over and over. She doesn't like it that the camera is on her at this particular moment. She reverts to a self conscious state to preserve what's left of her privacy and turns away. She doesn't like that the camera has caught her in such a vulnerable emotional state. She wasn't able to hold in her feelings for Jim.

After turning away from the camera, her expression does not change. It's here that she realizes things just aren't going to be the same. She even feels a bit like a fool for believing things would return to normal. Reality has set in. She most likely believes his feelings have changed and that he's moved on. She hasn't been able to "read" him all day, so she has no idea that he still loves her.

All she has to go on is Jim's distant behavior all day and the fact that another woman just rubbed his back. Pam is most likely wondering if she even has a chance with Jim anymore. She's probably also kicking herself for ever letting him go in the first place. Hopefully, Fancy New Beesly will take this on as a challenge and will not return to old Pam behavior. Of course, these are all things Pam needed to realize last season, but I guess better late than never!

Parking Lot at Night:

The conversation that ensues between Pam and Jim is concert of misread cues. The time apart has created a gap in their abilities to read each other's non-verbal and verbal cues. They can't read each other anymore, which leads to some major communication lapses. Each is waiting for the other to say how they feel and it never happens.
Pam emerges from the building and is stopped by Jim.

She looks like she's in a rush to go home, most likely to escape the disappointment of the day's events. She probably stayed a little later to pull herself together. Her eyes look a little "glassy." She may not have been crying, but she was definitely stuck in the area between crying and keeping it together (ladies, you know what I'm talking about). At this point she's had no choice but to accept the fact that things between herself and Jim would not be the same and that there is someone else in the picture. This is a tough pill to swallow, but Pam manages for the time being. She's back to burying her feelings as a survival and defense mechanism against her perceived vision of chaos in regards to Jim. Her emotions will overwhelm her if she doesn't at least partially bury them. She has to bury them if she has any chance of being "normal" around Jim as well as not letting him see how she feels. As mentioned before, she won't let him see these emotions until she feels he will return them. This is the main motivation for Pam's behavior in the parking lot.

Jim starts off by giving her a friendly "hey." Pam returns with a friendly "hey," but hers is forced. She is still reeling from Karen touching him. She also doesn't want to give any indicators of how crushed she is from the days events. The conversation starts off with the now familiar awkward small talk. Jim tells her he thought she left already. Pam replies that she had to stay back to take care of some "stuff." Part of me thinks she's telling a little fib. She was most likely waiting for the coast to be clear. She was probably waiting for Jim to leave in order to avoid a possible meeting in the lot.

Jim takes the initiative and attempts to open the door to talk about the awkwardness that ensued between them throughout the day by saying he felt bad about how weird things were. Pam completely misses the open door and doesn't know how to respond to this. She hasn't been able to figure where she stands with him all day. After seeing Karen and Jim together earlier she has serious misgivings about her status with him. She is frustrated, so she throws the ball right back in his court by asking "What do you mean?" This is her method of opening the same door. She feels he is responsible for much of the awkwardness. He was the one being distant. He was the one hanging out with someone else. She feels like she made all the effort and he made none. She wants him to be the one to explain why he made it weird. She wants him to tell her how he feels so she can tell him how she feels.

Like Pam, Jim doesn't pick up on Pam's open door. Instead, he tries to open the door in a different way by telling her he is "sort of seeing someone." Again, Pam totally misses the opportunity. Instead, she takes this as yet another blow and even a rejection. She goes into full-blown defense mode. At this point, she is clouded by frustration, jealousy, and confusion. She can't see the opportunity Jim just gave her to tell him how she feels. Instead, Pam decides to bury all of her emotions and play it cool. She's able to do this, because she's already had an indicator earlier in the day that he might have been seeing someone. She already knows, so it's not a surprise. With her "that's totally cool," she is masking all the pain and frustration she's been feeling all day. She's also hiding her jealousy towards Karen. She doesn't want Jim to see how much she is hurting. It's seems clear to her he's not going to return her feelings for him.

Her next statement seals the deal. She tells him "you can do whatever you want." This is another statement to mask her feelings. She is mad that Jim didn't tell her earlier. She is lashing out a little bit here, but she is also hiding her broken heart. If she pretends it doesn't bother her, he won't see her pain or her jealousy. Jim is more than a little thrown off by her statement and simply responds with an "okay," (more on him later).

Pam's next statement is initially puzzling, but there are many reasons why she says "We're friends. We'll always be friends." Pam is not doing this to be cold or mean. One level of meaning can be found by watching Jim's talking head earlier in the episode. When asked where he stands with Pam, he ultimately answers that they are friends and that they've always been friends. He's playing it safe. Pam's statement is a direct parallel to Jim's talking head, (this is pure genius on the writers' part). She doesn't know where she stands with him and this is a safe response to the situation at hand. She wants to keep the door open for a relationship, without revealing how she feels. She is sending him the message that she is ready whenever he is to rekindle the relationship.

On another level, Pam's "friends" statement can also be attributed to Pam's growing level of frustration. She's irritated to find herself with the status of "just a friend," (and even that is a maybe). She no doubt wants to rekindle the friendship, but she also wants more than that. At this point, that doesn't seem like a real possibility. She is saying "We're friends. We'll always be friends," as much to herself as she is to Jim. It just takes on an entirely different connotation when directed at herself. It's said out of frustration and dejection.

On a final level, she is just at a loss of what to say to him. She's given into the fact that things between them have changed. She is going to play along with these changes until she figures out what to do next. Again, reiterating a friendship is a safe route. It hides her hurt. Plus, she knows the only place she can really fit is as his friend with Karen in the picture. She hasn't completely sorted her feelings out yet. Jim has in her opinion pinned her with his revelation that he's seeing someone. She's almost telling him, You win. She is in some respects realizing she missed the boat. This is mostly on a subconscious level, but she'll become more aware of it the more she replays this conversation in her head. Jim of course doesn't pick up on any of this. He missed it completely, (and I'll have more on that on the Jim Paradox S3 thread later!).

She ends the conversation by walking away and telling him "Glad to have you back," in an extremely casual way. She is trying to get out of the conversation and she's trying to play it cool. It's a defense mode. She's protecting herself from letting Jim see any of her vulnerability. She was almost at a breaking point at the beginning of the conversation, and now it's worse. She needs to exit quickly. This a little of Old Pam sneaking through, but honestly we can't blame her. Fancy New Beesly took a beating. She actually withstood all the disappointment with stunning poise. Old Pam never would have pulled this off.

Pam managed to come out of this with some dignity intact. She could have easily lost it and lashed out at him or cried uncontrollably, but she didn't. She handled in a way that left her with some confidence and self-respect. This will pay off big in the grand scheme of things. Pam will come out of this evening broken hearted, but her self-respect will stay in place. Yes, her confidence took a hit, but she isn't down for the count.

- - -

JAM Optimist:

See introduction for optimist arguments.

JAM Pessimist:

1. Pam is crushed by Jim's distant behavior.

2. One word: Karen - She could be a problem. Pam might be intimidated by her.

3. Pam is still too timid to tell Jim how she feels. If she stays this shy JAM will never happen.


Questions to Ponder:

1. Is Pam more frustrated with Jim or herself?

2. What could Pam have done differently to get Jim's attention? Was she trying too hard? How can she overcome his distant behavior?

3. Is Pam getting what she deserves?

4. Why do you think Pam is so afraid to tell Jim how she feels? She's not engaged anymore, so why is she holding it all back?

5. Is Pam ready to be with Jim?

6. How much of a problem is Karen from Pam's perspective?
End Notes:
This post was written ten years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter 9: The Convict by scrantonbranch
It appears Pam has figured out that if she's patient with Jim, he will come around. This is the only explanation for Jim feeling comfortable enough to play a prank on her! It was obvious throughout the entire episode that Pam has toned it down a little bit. She learned her lesson in The Merger that coming on too strong will push Jim away. She realized that patience and an open door will pay off in the grand scheme of things. I like to think she realized this once she got home in The Merger.

However, Pam is smart enough not to back down completely. She is still wearing her hair a little softer and a little more make up than she usually does. She's still trying to get his attention, but she's being much more subtle in the behavior department! She's sending friendly signals, but she's not going out any limbs (yet).

We need to give ourselves a pat on the back for predicting humor would be the factor the reconnects JAM. It appears we are right on track. It has started with pranks on each other, (I know why Jim started it, but more on that later!). It stands to reason they will go back to being cohorts for pranks on others in the near future. Let the games (and laughter) begin.

This week's episode was huge for JAM optimism, but we must be careful not to get to overly optimistic. We could be setting ourselves up for major heartbreak! I don't want to end up like Pam in The Merger! I'm maintaining my cautious and skeptical tendencies just in case another sting is in store! I did manage to see cracks in the JAM reconnection for the pessimist to stay alive. There is simply no end to the JAM split personality!

Watching Jim & Karen at the copy machine:

Pam catches a glimpse of Karen and Jim together at the copy machine. Her face has a thousand emotions all over it. First and foremost is a quiet jealousy. She is obviously keeping it buried. I can almost feel the fire in her chest. Mixed in with her jealousy is a tinge of envy. Karen is the one with Jim and not her. Pam wants to be in her place more than anything. She has an almost pleading look in her eyes and she looks on the new couple. She's probably asking herself again why she let him go. She knows it could be her with Jim instead of Karen if she had made a different decision on CN.

There may be a little bit of anger directed at herself for what she now views as a huge mistake. Hindsight is 20/20 after all. Pam is also feeling a little bit of helplessness in the situation as a whole. She knows how she feels about him, but she can't do anything about it for a number of reasons. First, Jim is with someone else. There isn't enough in FNB to break down that barrier quite yet. Pam still has a strong sense of morality. She's not about to break up a relationship to fulfill her personal needs.

Plus, she believes Jim is happy with Karen. She doesn't want to take away his happiness. Secondly, she just doesn't know how to go about telling Jim how she feels. She is ill equipped and she's becoming very aware of her inability. This may be where part of her newly toned down behavior comes from. Let's also not forget that Pam is uncertain in how Jim feels about her. She's a little leery to test those waters after The Merger.

As Jim walks away, Pam keeps looking at Karen. Again, we can see that Pam doesn't hate Karen. She liked her when she first met her. That hasn't gone away. As much as Pam hates to admit it, Karen might be good for Jim. That's why she feels the competition. With Katy, it was just pure jealousy. She knew Katy probably wouldn't last. It just drove her nuts that Jim was with her. Karen, however, presents the possibility of long-term relationship and Pam knows it.

At the end of the scene, it's possible to catch a sense of self-doubt on Pam's face. She's questioning whether or not she can even compete with Karen for Jim's affection. Not even FNB can completely fend off self-doubt. This is very Old Pam, but it's understandable. Karen is fulfilling the role Pam wants. That's got to jab at the confidence level a little bit.

Andy Hitting on Pam:

Pam is flabbergasted by Andy asking her out. Of course, the way he asked her was unbelievable funny. Pam deserves huge kudos for not laughing in his face. Her shock must've kept the giggles under control. While Andy is rattling off a list of her most hated things, Pam has a, You've got to be kidding me, look on her face. She's almost pleading with fate that this is a joke.

When Andy gives Jim a smack on the arm, Pam's prayers are answered. It was a joke. Even better, it was tailored by Jim. She is not only relieved, but thrilled and surprised that he was behind this prank. Her relief is centered on Jim somewhat stepping over the barrier between them. She's wearing a, no way, expression on her face as he spins around in his chair. This is rooted in not only realizing that she's the victim of a prank, but also her shock that Jim took this step. She knows this was a big and difficult step for him. It means a lot to her. She's aware he's trying to heal to void and put some of the awkwardness aside with his humorous flare. It's pure Jim and she loves it.

Jim then flashes her a killer "gotcha" look, (I must interject here and gush a little. That was the cutest face I think I've ever seen). She clearly loves the prank, but she equally loves that look he gave have her. Pam now knows that she read Jim's motives for the prank correctly. She gives him a look right back. This is the first successful non-verbal communication we've seen since Jim came back to Scranton, (I could've sworn I heard a collective sigh of relief from all JAM fans when this happened!).

Pam is sending Jim a multitude of messages with her reaction. The obvious interpretation of her expression is, Oh, you're dead. I'm going to get you back. This beckons back to the old days of playful banter. Once the exterior is peeled back, the deeper messages are revealed. She's telling him how surprised and happy she is that he played a prank on her. She needed to know he wants things to be better between them. She's also asking him playfully, What took you so long and where have you been?

As per her new behavior of patience, Pam needed Jim to make the next move. She's been waiting for him to come out and play. Pam is also sending a little thank you to Jim. She appreciated the fact that he brought things a little closer to normal. She knows how difficult it is because she wasn't able to do it herself. Lastly, she's letting him know that she's game for anything in regards to pranks or their relationship. Her face has the, you're on, expression, taunting him to play some more. It's good to have JAM back.

Talking Head:

Pam's face is lit up for the entirety of her talking head. She is elated by what just transpired. Pam is both in hysterics by Andy's performance and shocked at Jim's prank. Her first "wow" is in reference to Andy. Pam found his request to take her out ridiculous and hysterical. She is dumbfounded at Andy's stupidity, yet completely amused. She's amused even more by the fact that Jim played Andy so perfectly. She is still laughing at the joke, because it all makes sense now. She likes being in on the joke, even though she was one of the targets.

Pam's second "wow" is related totally to Jim. Much of Pam's hope has been restored. She is still very surprised by his prank. The prank itself was awesome, but for Jim's motives behind the prank are more amazing to her. We can assume at least a couple of weeks has passed since Jim returned. This is likely the first time things have felt a little more normal between them. Pam knows that Jim took his wall down little bit. This was a big move for him and she knows it. As mentioned above, she's aware that Jim is trying to make things better between them. She knows humor is something special that they share. Hence, her utter joy that he targeted her with a funny prank. Pam's happy she has "her" Jim somewhat back in her life. Things aren't exactly the same, but they are better.

Another reason Pam is so happy has to do the details of the prank. Andy listed everything Pam hates. She knows Andy got that information from Jim. If feels good that he still "knows" her. She feels a glimpse of a connection that has been absent for so long. She no longer feels cast off. Furthermore, Jim's prank and subsequent "look" gives Pam some indicators that Jim might still have feelings for her. She doesn't know how deep they go, but there's hope Jim still loves her. Pam knows she's back in the game. She still has a chance. If that's not a reason to smile, I don't know what is!

Conference Room - Prison Mike:

It's a short scene, but it packs big JAM moment. Pam actually initiated a non-verbal communication with Jim. Michael's antics gave Pam the perfect opportunity to recapture the old days with Jim. Jim's earlier prank made her feel comfortable to try communicating with him. She wants to share another laugh with him. He is more than happy to reciprocate. Pam is thrilled. She has another reason to smile. Her smile during their eye contact is not just because of Michael, it's because she felt another connection with "her" Jim. They are talking to each other again, without having to say a word.

Andy's Banjo Serenade:

Pam next encounter with Andy is "special." Pam's response to Andy is a little bit different as she is now in on the joke. She is totally amused by Andy's banjo and "sexy" falsetto voice. She can hardly keep a straight face, (kudos to Jenna Fischer for managing to keep it together for at least one take). Not only is this little show absolutely ridiculous, but Pam knows Jim put him up to it. She loves being in on the joke even though she is again one of the targets. Pam understands that Jim's prank does not have the same meaning for Andy as it does for her. She knows it goes beyond messing with Andy. It's obvious to her that he's trying to make her laugh, on top of healing the void. Again, this means a lot to Pam.

She looks towards Jim with a big smile on her face. She is sending him another "thank you" for his attempts to make things more normal between them, as well as another good laugh. Her face also betrays her inner thoughts. I can't help but notice that Pam is wearing her emotions on her sleeve much in the same way Jim did in Season 2. She's giving Jim one of those longing looks, just with a smile attached. She probably felt safe enough to give this look because his back was to her. Regardless, she's again glad she has her "friend" back but she's also thinking, God, I love that man. Only "her" Jim could pull off such a well-orchestrated prank and make her so happy. She is delighted that so much of the awkwardness is gone, at least for the time being.

- - -

JAM Optimist:

1) Pam loved Jim's prank. She understood his motives and still played it casual enough to keep him from shying away.

2) Pam feels reconnected to Jim.

3) Pam is being patient, yet persistent. She understands that Jim needs a little time. She's keeping the door open without too much pressure.

4) Non-verbal communication is back!

JAM Pessimist:

1) Pam may get a little too overly optimistic, again. She might jump the gun. She might read too much into Jim's prank and forget to give him his space.

2) The awkwardness may return once the past comes up again. We are not clear of the pain yet.

3) Pam is a little intimidated by Karen. She's doubting her ability to win Jim back. It's not a constant feeling, but it is there.

Questions to Ponder:

1) Is Pam's toned down behavior towards Jim more conscious or subconscious? Is this behavior change an attribute of FNB or Old Pam?

2) Should we be worried that Pam will become overly optimistic again? How should she proceed with Jim? (What's her next move?)

3) Should Pam play a prank on Jim to even up the score? Would this hurt or help JAM's reconnection? What about a prank on someone else?

4) Now that Pam knows Jim is seeing Karen, how careful should Pam be about forging a friendship with her? Will a friendship with Karen effect her chances with Jim? What about any moral implications that might plague Pam's thoughts?

5) Is it appropriate for Pam to get Jim Christmas present? If so, what should she get him?
End Notes:
This post was written ten years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter 10: A Benihana Christmas by scrantonbranch
Pam's evolution into Fancy New Beesly continues in A Benihana Christmas. Not only is Pam showing an increased amount of confidence, but she is also liberated in standing up for herself. For the first time, she doesn't back to down to Angela. She stands up to her in a big way with the help of Karen. Which brings us to Pam's next development of being more social with those around her. Old Pam was not much of a social butterfly, but she is clearly moving away from her introverted past as she reaches out to Karen.

Even with all of these changes, Pam has retained the best parts of herself, namely her warm and caring heart. As much as she enjoyed standing up to Angela she knew when it was time to stop and repair the fissure between them. She may dislike Angela but she doesn't want to hurt her and remain angry. Pam's behavior towards Roy is another example of her caring spirit. Despite the fact that they are no longer a couple, Pam is still friendly and helpful to Roy. Pam also finds a way to brighten Toby's Christmas by giving her (supposedly) Dunder-Mifflin bath robe to him. It was refreshing to see her warmth out in the open rather than hidden inside. The only way we saw this previously was through Jim.

The fact that Pam has figured out how to open up to herself and everyone else will undoubtedly help her find a way to open up to Jim. She is still trying to figure out how to behave around him and how to communicate with him. Things have improved significantly since The Merger, but it's still not the way it was before. It's ironic that Pam is finding it easier to relate to everyone else but Jim when before he was the only one in which she felt comfortable. Pam's continued toned down behavior is not only giving Jim the space he needs, but it is also giving her time to figure him out. Win-Win!

It's obvious the reconnection between Jim and Pam is getting stronger but there are still a few bumps in the road. Even with Pam's perfect Christmas gift, the connection wavered. This is brought on by neither side's ability to talk about the past. Pam has to find the courage to open up to Jim. She has to get past the notion of waiting to see if Jim still has any feelings for her. She's eventually going to have to throw caution to the wind. Needless to say, we have a long wait before she does this, but her behavior in this episode shows she's on the right track.

This week included major JAM events, but it also included pivotal FNB developments. In the spirit of Pam's evolution, scenes depicting FNB developments will be included in tandem with JAM analysis. FNB is crucial to JAM and deserves the utmost attention!

Jim's Christmas Gift:

Pam has managed to come up with the perfect Christmas gift for Jim. The gift itself was probably not meant to be a gift for Jim as she started a couple of months ago before he was back in Scranton. She simply took something she had for her own amusement and refashioned it for Jim. This is in alignment with her more subtle approach to Jim. The gift is not too personal and yet it is laced with the same humor that reconnected them in the first place. She knows if she gets a gift that is too personal or sentimental she will scare him away.

At the same time FNB is taking a subtle initiative. She knows the ball is in her court. Jim made the move to reconnect with his prank. Now, it's her turn to further the connection with a prank of her own. But she knows better than to make Jim the target. It would be too bold. Instead she chooses their previous favorite third party in which to center her prank. Pam's prank is right on par with Jim's prank in The Convict but she is bumping it up a notch by inviting him to be her accomplice right at the start. This is a bold but still subtle move on her part. Furthermore, Pam is playing on her strength of humor. She knows that Jim loves her sense of humor. She's showing him FNB can put together a fabulous prank, which will hopefully impress him.

When Pam calls Jim up to her desk she is nervous and excited about giving him her gift. She knows he's probably not expecting anything from her. On top of that, she is taking a chance at furthering their reconnection. However, she is very optimistic that it will be well received. She knows this is something he will love. The prank/gift is so Jim. She slowly hands Jim the "classified" file of Dwight's communication with the CIA, as if playing the role of a spy. This is a bit of a reference of a secret joke between just the two of them. Just as Jim created a "secret" inside joke with his prank, Pam is doing the same thing with hers.

As he's paging through the file she is explaining the details of the prank with great pride. She is trying to impress him with FNB and the logistics and preparation of this prank. She can tell he loves it and her face is lit up like a Christmas tree. With Jim's smile at the explanation of his gift, Pam believes that she has hit it perfectly. She smiles at him anxiously while she waits for him to respond. Her optimism is hard to ignore. She has no doubt at this point that Jim will play along with her on the prank.

To say that Pam is surprised by Jim's rejection of the gift is a gross understatement. Initially, she is confused by Jim's reaction. She is questioning whether she read his signals correctly in the prank he pulled on her. Pam fashioned the gift on the assumption that it was her turn to pull a prank with Jim as her accomplice. Now it appears to her that she was wrong. Furthermore, Jim's "I really don't think I should be doing stuff like this anymore," doesn't make any sense as he's already pulled pranks since being back in Scranton. She knows he loved it and she's lost on why he rejected the gift.

It takes a second for it to click that he's not rejecting the gift, he's rejecting her. This hurts her deeply but she manages to stay composed. Her response of "I get it" roughly translates to I get it. You don't want to do this with me. As Jim walks away she manages small uncomfortable smile. She's thinking, Ooops. I may have just blown it. She's wondering if she'd made a mistake by giving Jim a gift, even though it was a perfect gift. Pam is questioning whether she crossed the line.

Jim gives her a small smile as he walks away. Pam understands this smile is telling her he loved the gift but he just isn't ready for it. She could also tell that Jim really wanted to pull the prank with her, but something else made him walk away. It's here that Pam is starting to realize just how much Jim is hurting. She is also starting to realize that she caused some of that pain. This flicker of realization is tough to catch, but it is there for a split second, (watch closely, it's really fast!). This awareness is crucial to JAM. This has been discussed relentlessly on previous posts in this thread, (I challenge you to find them!) as well as on the original Pam Dichotomy. Pam has to be the one to initiate the discussion of CN. Jim is unlikely to take on this role. She can't approach Jim about this until she understands everything he's been through and understands his pain. This is a preliminary instance of her understanding Jim's perspective.

However, the sting of his rejection is clouding a full awareness of the reason for his rejection. When his back to her, she lets some of the hurt show on her face. She is overwhelmed with disappointment. She was so sure this would work out. In addition she is revisiting her thoughts that she made a mistake. Pam is again worried that she has stepped over the line again and she's not sure how to fix it. So, not only is she hurt by the rejection but she is kicking herself for possibly coming on too strong. She's worried about being on the receiving end of Jim's cold shoulder again.

Party Planning Committee:

Pam is next involved in the thrilling task of planning the office Christmas party under the dictatorship of Angela. As Karen starts to rattle off some fun ideas for the party, Pam snaps to life. She really likes Karen's ideas. When Angela kicks Karen off the committee Pam obviously feels bad for her. She wants to say something but Old Pam isn't completely out of her system. The blow she received from Jim's rejection is still pretty ripe and she's still feeling down. Pam had stepped out of her safety zone by finding the courage to Jim a Christmas gift and she was crushed. The fact that he rejected makes her reluctant to step out of her safety bubble again, (at least not alone). Add the fact that Pam has never really stood up to Angela. Pam isn't quite ready to stand up to her on her own. Let's face it Angela is just plain scary!

Talking Head:

Pam begins her talking head with a self-realization that she's been cold to Karen. She furthers this by saying "It's not like she ever done anything to me." This is Pam's way of admitting that she's been avoiding Karen because of Jim. She's a little jealous of her so she's kept her distance. The problem is Pam really likes Karen and feels guilty about giving her the cold shoulder. Pam says she "probably shouldn't be so cold to her," as a way to affirm to herself that she shouldn't let her feelings for Jim cloud her judgment in regards to Karen. The events of the party planning committee gave her the resolve to reach out to Karen.

Talking with Karen:

Pam starts off her conversation by apologizing for the events of the meeting. Pam's apology has a double meaning in that she's also apologizing for her cold behavior. This is Pam's way of making amends without having to explain herself or her connection to Jim.

Pam next expresses interest in Karen's party ideas as a way to not only start conversation but to also begin an open line of communication. Pam is actually initiating a proposal to stand up to Angela. Pam knows she needs Karen to pull this off.
Pam sees Karen's strength and is drawn to it. This happens shortly after her debacle with Jim so its natural she's looking for some level of emotional support. In seasons 1 and 2 Jim fulfilled this role. Karen exudes confidence and Pam is feeding off of it to rebuild herself.

Karen represents a chance for FNB to overcome Old Pam tendencies. Her confidence needs a reboot after Jim's rejection. Standing up to Angela is a direct reaction to her failure with Jim earlier. Besides, Pam actually hit if off with Karen right from the start. By avoiding Karen, Pam has been avoiding a potentially good friendship. FNB has to be careful though as Karen is in Jim's realm.

Flyer War:

Pam finds new strength in Karen to stand up to Angela. As the flyer war starts Pam is noticeably excited at the prospect of sticking it to Angela. She is exuding confidence with the help of Karen at her side. There is strength in numbers after all! Pam is well aware that she never would have done this without Karen. Pam plays off of Karen's set-up of the "more fun party" perfectly indicating that they do indeed share a similar sense of humor, (no wonder Jim finds comfort in Karen and is attracted to her).

As Pam and Karen run off giggling at the expense of Angela Pam can't believe she just pulled this off. She feels liberated. Some of her inhibitions fueled by fear and shyness have been confronted. Furthermore, she is clearly enjoying Karen's company.

Talking to Roy:

Pam shows just how caring she is by holding yet another friendly conversation with Roy. Roy is clearly trying very hard to initiate a conversation with Pam but she is not biting. Pam is being friendly enough but she is keeping her distance. She doesn't want to send any mixed signals. She knows Roy is still trying to get her back and she wants no part of that.

All the while, she looks like she's waiting for Roy to leave already. It reminds me of her response to Roy in Branch Closing. She is slightly annoyed at his overt attempts to get her attention. Pam doesn't fall for his obvious humor ploy of "not using the cartoons in the newspaper" for wrapping paper. Pam handles this with low key sarcasm as a way to combat his efforts. It plays along with his joke, but also sends the message that she's not interested. It's important to note that Pam is only responding to Roy. She is not initiating any part of the conversation. Roy is the one trying to keep the conversation going. This is a conscious effort on her part.

As Roy leaves, Karen tells Pam that Roy is cute and that she "should date him." Pam was initially going to tell Karen about her past with Roy but suddenly changes her mind. Pam's split second decision is based not on her past with Roy, but her past with Jim. Telling Karen about her broken engagement might lead to questions as to why she cancelled her wedding. This is very personal and Pam isn't necessarily ready to talk about it freely. FNB still holds onto the Old Pam tendency of guarding her privacy. Karen is a relatively new acquaintance and this is a deeply personal and vulnerable part of Pam's life. She is not about to spill her guts to such a new person in her life.

Furthermore, the conversation could lead to Jim. Pam doesn't want to give Karen any indication of her past with Jim. On another level, Pam is still reeling from Jim's rejection. The fact that someone is telling her to be with Roy is jarring. She may be subconsciously questioning her decision of leaving a sure thing with Roy to pursue the now seemingly slight possibility of Jim.

Competing Parties:

As the two parties compete for attendees Pam gets brave enough to shoot Angela a dirty look. Pam has never had the gumption to do this even though Angela has deserved it in the past. The closest she ever got to giving Angela the evil eye was in Conflict Resolution but, that was really only a, I can't believe you said that, look. She's never had the courage to throw in a little attitude. Pam is letting Angela know she's no longer afraid of her or under her thumb. Way to go Pam!

Making Up with Angela:

Despite FNB's glorious victory over Angela, Pam still has elements of Old Pam's heart. Pam has managed to keep the best parts of herself intact in the midst of her internal make-over. As much fun as it was to stick it to Angela, Pam knows enough is enough. She notices that Angela is really upset. For Pam this was mostly about fun and asserting herself. Her intention wasn't to necessarily hurt Angela. Pam's moral center just won't allow her to take it that far.

She ultimately secures a truce to save the spirit of (a Nutcracker) Christmas. Pam's showcases this same compassion earlier with Roy in the break room, and also later with Toby by giving him her Dunder Mifflin bathrobe. It's this warm heart that will help her with Jim. She showed how sensitive and responsive she is to other people's feelings. She has to use this same gift with Jim. If anything to she has to fine tune it to pick up on all the emotions he is keeping buried. As mentioned earlier she is starting to pick up on some of his pain.

Watching Jim Hug Karen:

Pam did not like Jim's arms around someone else at all. She had jealousy ripping through every fiber of her being. Pam also feels a bit envious. Her jealous stare included a longing look in which she wishes it was her in Karen's place. From the looks of things, Jim has just accepted a gift from Karen. This is a stark contrast to Jim's response to her gift. It's hard for her to watch him react to someone else the way she wanted him to react to her. Furthermore, Pam just spent most of the day with Karen. Pam knows Karen is a good match for Jim, which makes their hug even harder for her to see. In true Pam fashion she keeps it under wraps. Especially after she notices the camera has caught her. She quickly turns away and diverts her attention.

Roy's Gift:

Pam obviously likes the gift Roy gives to her. Again, she is showing her warm heart by accepting his gift. She doesn't want to say no (she knows what that feels like) and hurt him. Roy was a big part of her life and a small part of her will always love him. She gives Roy a hug in thanks for the gift. At first glance it seems Pam is warming up to Roy, but that is hardly the case. Given Pam's earlier scene with Roy she is unlikely to rekindle anything with him. She keeps the hug casual, but warm as only Pam can pull off.

Interestingly, Pam's casual hug parallels Jim and Karen's hug. Given Jim's rebound speech and mutual jealousy of both hugs, I don't think we have anything to worry about! Pam's not longing for Roy and Jim isn't entirely focused on Karen.

Jim Accepts Pam's Gift:

As Pam types at her desk, Jim says goodnight to her on his way over to the coat rack. She responds in kind with a smile. It looks like she wants to say more, but thinks better of it. She is a little more self conscious of coming on too strong so she restrains her response to a simple goodnight. She kills her smile after telling herself, Stop, Pam, just stop.

Aside from Pam's emotional state, I noticed something at her desk as Jim grabs his coat off the rack. She has a picture Jim drew of her tacked up at her desk. It's easy to see right around 40:27 into the episode. Look under the message divider rack. I think this sketch was visible on one of the season 2 DVD menus (I don't remember which one), but I'm not sure. All I know is I've seen this sketch on Pam's desk before! I love it that Pam keeps a little piece of Jim at her desk! I digress, but I felt it was worth mentioning!

Pam's face is wearing a thousand words as Jim accepts Pam's gift by laying out his chosen mission for Dwight. Her face conveys an odd mixture of an internal dialogue and non-verbal messages to Jim. On an internal level Pam is simply overjoyed for a number of reasons. She can hardly contain herself. She was holding back a gigantic smile in the name of self-preservation. She didn't want to overly express her excitement to Jim. This would go against her "subtlety is best" strategy. Pam knows Jim is redacting (hee hee! I laugh every time I use this word) his rejection of her by accepting the gift. This is a huge load off of Pam's shoulders.

All the self-doubt that had been weighing on her mind and heart has been alleviated. She also knows her gift was not a mistake and she did not cross the line, Oh my God, I did this right. A slight amount of surprise is detectable on Pam's face at this realization. Pam's bold yet subtle move has paid off. Jim is coming back around. Much of this can be credited to Pam's reaction to Jim's rejection. She didn't make a scene, nor did she press the issue. This is a manifestation of Pam's beginning awareness of Jim's pain.

On another more hidden internal level, Pam's subconscious is no longer questioning her decision in regards to Roy, (as per the break room). Jim doesn't feel like such a distant impossibility as he did earlier in the day. As far as non-verbal cues go, Pam is careful not to send too strong a message. Jim's face packs a load of messages (more on that face later in The Jim Paradox S3 thread!), but the most obvious is, I'm sorry about before. Pam catches this immediately and sends, Don't worry about it. I'm glad your back. There's also a hint of, I knew you wouldn't be able to resist, but this is only subtly directed at Jim as she mostly saying this to herself. She knows he's back and ready to prank with her.

It's important to note that her gift was never about the prank. It was about solidifying their connection and renewing their friendship/relationship, (or whatever you want to call it). Jim's accepting of the gift means he's accepting some sort of a relationship with Pam.

Pam is smart to break off the eye contact before things get to heavy. She doesn't want to scare him off again. So, she jumps right into the logistics of pulling off Jim's mission for Dwight. She plays along by suggesting they get Dwight a bus ticket with her usual playful sarcasm. It fits with the prank but, this is the same mechanism used in the Initiation conversation. She's keeping the monumental moment of Jim's acceptance light and low key. Again, she is utilizing her subtle approach. It looks like humor will once again mask much of Jim and Pam's emotional states just as in Seasons 1 and 2. I'm personally looking forward to this development!

Pam is delighted at Jim's suggestion of the CIA sending a helicopter. Jim is actively taking part in elevating the prank to a higher level. This confirms to Pam that Jim is really back. She allows her amusement to shine through a laugh and big smile. She feels safe enough to let some of these emotions out. Jim is not going anywhere at this point. Things feel like they are returning to normal and Pam couldn't be happier!

- - -

Despite Stellar JAM developments, the split personality remains entrenched in my psyche.

JAM Optimist:

1) Pam is starting to become aware of how much Jim is hurting.

2) Pam is still giving Jim the time and space he needs.

3) Pam is not interested in rekindling anything with Roy.

4) FNB - enough said!

5) Pam took the initiative with her gift to Jim. Bravo!

6) Pam's confidence is growing.

JAM Pessimist:

1) Pam still doesn't have a full understanding on how much Jim is hurting.

2) Pam still doesn't have enough confidence to tell Jim how she feels. . . yet.

3) Jim's relationship with Karen is intimidating to Pam.


Questions to Ponder:

1) Should Pam have told Karen about Roy? Why did she hold back?

2) Should Pam continue her friendship with Karen? What are the potential benefits and pitfalls?

3) Is Pam using Karen? (Think about this one for a little bit! There are a million ways to look at this!)

4) What is Pam's assessment of Jim and Karen's relationship? What does she think is happening between Jim and Karen? What evidence does she have to support her perspective? How is it affecting how she behaves around both of them? (I posted this earlier, but I think it's more appropriately placed her in the QTP!)

5) Did Pam get Roy a Christmas gift?

6) What is Pam's next move? Does she continue her strategy of subtlety or does she step it up a notch?
End Notes:
This post was written ten years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter 11: Back From Vacation by scrantonbranch
It would appear Pam has taken a step backwards at first glance. She's back to her old hair, make-up, and wardrobe (she's wearing the same sweater she wore in The Fire). However, she has taken an important step forward in developing FNB, albeit a very painful step. One of the things Pam must do is to understand some of Jim's pain. She got a small taste of what he endured for more than 3 years. It was a bit of a shock to her system, causing an emotional breakdown. Pam crying surely broke the heart of anyone who was watching. It even effected Dwight!

Pam's emotional difficulties relate primarily to the changing dynamic of JAM. In the past Jim has been the driving force in keeping JAM alive. He was a "friend with oomph," meaning he would go beyond the role of a friend without going over the line (that is until Casino Night). Jim is no longer playing his part, as he's only allowing the reestablishment of the friendship portion of the relationship. Pam now has to step up to the plate and be the new driving force for JAM. The problem is, she doesn't get it that the ball is in her court. Pam keeps expecting Jim to return to his old role. As a result, she's reverting to her role of being a friend without any oomph. This also has a lot to do with her subtle behavior approach to Jim, but it's clear now that the subtle approach isn't as much contrived as it is habit.

In effect, Pam is stuck. Even though she wants more than a friendship with Jim, she doesn't know how to do it, nor does she know how to let him know that's what she wants. This would probably be a problem even if there was no Karen. However, Karen does add a new dimension of Pam's limbo. She wants Jim to be happy, even it means without her. What a pickle. Oddly, this mirrors Jim's case of limbo. He's obviously in limbo for different reasons, but the point is both Jim and Pam are stuck with seemingly no way out until communication improves between them. Luckily, an increase in communication seems to be the trend.

Break Room - Part 1:

It didn't take long for Pam to pick up on Jim's bothered stated of mind as she walked in to the break room for some coffee. The fact that she's catching and reacting on his more subtle emotions is a good sign. She needs to practice this in order to pick up on Jim's buried emotions, pain, and fear. She's asks him the obvious question, "Are you Okay?" She doesn't believe him for a second as he tells her nothing is wrong. She presses him again and gets the same response.

Pam didn't give up or shy away from him, which is a very FNB trait. After his second dodge of the question, Pam simply shoots him a non-verbal cue to remind him of who he's talking to. She knows him better than anyone and he's not fooling her. She's in effect telling him, C'mon, it's me. Talk to me. It's her way of prodding him to spill the beans. Jim picks up on her cue and finally reveals he's having a fight with Karen. Pam isn't exactly thrilled to hear that this is the problem. Her "oh" is downtrodden and laced with a sense of What have I gotten myself into?

She's a little reluctant to continue the conversation. She is extremely hesitant in asking him if he wants to talk about it. Pam isn't sure if she wants to hear about Jim's relationship with Karen. Furthermore, she doesn't know if she should. This is a very gray area between them filled with loads of uneasiness. This is a big line to cross. However, Pam's curiosity and compassion get the best of her. She can't help but be his friend. After Jim expresses his doubt of talking about it, Pam sends him another non verbal cue to reassure him that it's alright to talk about Karen. She's telling him it's alright to talk to her about anything. This is opening up a much closer line of communication that transcends small talk and goes much deeper.

Break Room - Part 2:

Pam is noticeably uncomfortable as Jim lays out the details of his argument with Karen. She is slouching with her shoulders and arms closed in. Her face is tight with discomfort as well, but she is trying to hide it with her "listening face." When Jim is done, Pam's reaction is wrought with multiple meanings. She breaks eye contact with him and gives a nonchalant yet uncertain "Hmmmm." Pam is a little uncomfortable with knowing this information about Jim and Karen, but she's also intrigued as her raised eyebrows signify. She's a little surprised that something so small is bothering Jim so much. It seems so ridiculous, but it clues her into the status of the relationship. She now knows Jim is having a problem with it becoming too serious. Jim is having commitment issues!

On top of this, Pam is feeling her own emotions for Jim. She feels how much she misses him and loves him with a touch of jealousy to top it off. She's holding all of this insight and emotion back as she looks down at the table. Jim has just provided her with a golden opportunity as she could easily tell Jim that he's right and Karen is wrong. However, her moral center and compassionate nature won't let her do something like this because she knows that Jim is unhappy and upset with his current situation. Pam is Jim's friend first and foremost, despite her desire for more than that. Essentially, Pam is trapped. She can't do or say anything to sabotage the relationship, but at the same time it hurts her that he's with Karen. She doesn't know what to say and staring at the table buys her some time. Jim doesn't let her do it for long as he calls her on it by quoting her "hmmm" and slightly imitating her facial reaction followed by a "what." He knows she has something to say.

This section of the scene closely mirrors the dialogue and interaction between Jim and Pam during their poker scene in Casino Night. Pam is bluffing or holding back in both scenes. In poker she's trying to get him to put forth more money and in the break room she's trying to get him to share more information and talk to her. In poker she's trying to hold back the strength of her hand and in the break room she's holding back her observations on Jim's situation as well her personal feelings for Jim. In both scenes Jim emulates her facial expression, (although a little more subtly in the break room along with restating her line) and attaches it to "What?" in order to draw out her thoughts. In both instances he knows she's holding back. It's his way of calling her on it. This is an indicator that a big chunk of JAM's non-verbal communication has been reestablished.
Pam is flustered that he caught her stalling. Pam looks up and then back down again as she's trying to figure out what to say.

Right before she looks down, there is a flicker of a longing look in Jim's direction. She has to find a way to give Jim advice that doesn't close the door she's trying to keep open for him. Pam responds by giving a rather neutral answer of "I think you should go a little easy on her." This answer doesn't necessarily tell Jim what to do for his situation, as it really puts the decision back on him. Honestly, there is no way out for her other than this route. Compassion also kicks in as Pam's answer masks her real advice that he was freaking out over something very small. She's calming him down and getting him to see the reality of the situation, without sounding overly supportive of his relationship with Karen.

Talking Head:

It's obvious right from the start that Pam is either lying through her teeth or is fooling herself in to believing that it didn't bother her to help Jim with his relationship problems. The words don't match her face at all. Pam is clearly frustrated with her status. She goes as far as equating her status with Jim to her friendship with Phyllis. Unfortunately, Pam feels the current situation calls for her to reluctantly accept her position as just a friend. To make matters worse, the friendship is still weird. There is an air of defeat in Pam's monologue. She knows she has to go along with this status as long as Jim is in a relationship with someone else. Here face is screaming, What else am I supposed to do?

Break Room - Part 3:

After dispensing her advice, Pam is desperate for the subject to change. She's had about as much as she can handle. Pam fundamentally put Jim's happiness above her own, which strongly mirrors Jim's behavior throughout season 2, but it's very new concept to her and she's having trouble dealing with the broken heart that accompanies this practice. She's feeling the equivalent of Jim's pain when Pam talked to him about Roy. Hopefully, Pam has made the connection.

Jim rescues her from her anguish by giving her a heartfelt thank you for helping him, thus ending the subject. She warmly smiles back and says "Don't worry about it." She's really telling that she'll always be there for him no matter what. Pam doesn't let that linger too long and changes the subject to the all too familiar escape of Michael's antics. The mood immediately lightens and an aspect their "old" friendship comes to life. Pam's body language becomes much more open and relaxed as does Jim. Pam knows Jim is down and this is the perfect way to cheer him up and subsequently herself. Once again, humor is being used by both sides to mask some of the tension both are experiencing. They are making each other laugh and once again continuing to reconnect on another communicative level.

It's fairly obvious throughout the entire break room conversation that Pam and Jim miss each other and the closeness of their prior relationship. They took turns giving small looks to each other. Despite the difficult subject of the conversation, both felt the connection on deeper verbal and non-verbal levels. It's the lost and missing piece to the puzzle. JAM needs to continue rebuilding these deeper lines of communication if a full reconciliation is to occur.

With Karen:

Karen comes up to Pam with a huge thank you for her help with "Halpert." Pam puts a big smile on her face, albeit forced. Just about everything Pam says and does from this point on is a show for Karen. Pam is probably a little surprised that Jim told Karen she was responsible for talking sense into him. She doesn't want Karen to know how much it hurts, so she puts on that fake smile and jokes that Jim is being "ridiculous." "Don't worry about it," has an entirely different meaning in this context. Underneath that statement is Pam telling Karen she doesn't want to hear anymore. Pam didn't want to know the outcome of her advice. She found out the hard way that hearing details about the relationship is extremely painful. She knows that she just helped make Jim and Karen closer both geographically and relationship-wise. She doesn't want Karen thanking her for that. Her expression as Karen walks away is one of, What have I done?" She feels her chances with Jim slipping away even further.

Pam Crying:

First of all, this scene was incredibly difficult to watch. Pam is crying for a number of reasons, not just the situation of the day with Jim. Undoubtedly, Jim's relationship issues were the catalyst for this but Pam has a lot more on her plate. Loneliness, frustration and general feeling of helplessness all help to cue the waterworks.
The primary cause for Pam's breakdown is loneliness. She's pretty much been on her own since June. This is a new experience for her and it's a little daunting. Anyone who's suddenly found themselves on their own after a long term relationship knows how Pam feels. She's a little lost (just like Jim).

She's further overwhelmed by the fact that Jim is right in front of her. She could have prevented this whole situation by changing one decision she made back in May. The whole "could've, would've, should've" aspect of the Jim Factor is particularly painful. Pam's feeling a defeat has also followed her to this moment (see Talking Head). At this point, she is feeling completely helpless as her life feels like a mess. The rapid changes of leaving Roy, losing Jim, loving Jim, and seeing Jim with someone else have all left her utterly at a loss. Life just isn't as simple as it used to be. Just a year ago, all the answers were on her left hand with an attached wedding date.

As for the catalyst of Jim and Karen's argument, Pam is feeling the pain of the conversation and the results of her advice to Jim. She isn't as strong as she thought in regards to Jim and Karen. She thought she could handle it , but she clearly can't. That's a rather large dose of more helplessness. She can't do anything about the fact that he's with somebody else. Add to that, the conundrum that she likes Karen at the same time she's jealous of her and hurt that she's with Jim. Furthermore, she's been relegated to the status of just a "friend," when she loves him. The status of the friendship is also troubling as it lacks the closeness (even though that's improving) that was there before, which in itself is frustrating. Who can blame Pam for breaking down? All of these pent up emotions needed an outlet.

To make things worse, Dwight is the one "comforting" her. She'd much rather have looked up to see Jim standing there. Dwight's attempt at chivalry is only making her feel worse. She wants him to go away. Being alone at this point is actually welcome thought. She breaks down into another fit of crying when Dwight puts his arm around her. Honestly, things can't get any worse.

With Roy:

After her cry, Pam looks a little more relaxed, yet still a little melancholy while sitting next to Roy. Roy begins to reminisce about how she wanted to go to Hawaii and he wanted to Mexico for the honeymoon. Pam responds with a peculiar and knowing "yeah." She, of course, remembers the disagreement, but it also brings her back to a time when things were not so complicated, (see reasons for Pam crying). Surprisingly, he finishes off the story with the humorous remark, "I was definitely right." Pam desperately needed to laugh and Roy provided the opportunity, by oddly citing Michael's antic of the luau. Pam looked surprised as she laughed, as this is a very different side of Roy. One she probably hasn't seen in a while. It appears the roles of Jim and Roy have somewhat reversed, at least in this instance. Jim is now Pam's thorn and Roy is making her laugh and feel better. Hmmmmm . . . if this becomes a trend, Roy could be troublesome.

- - -

JAM Optimist:

1) Pam is feeling Jim's pain (this is essential to understanding his perspective)

2) Pam is just in a valley, nobody can get through a situation like this without cracking

3) Pam put Jim's happiness above her own

4) A closer line of communication has been reestablished.

JAM Pessimist:

1) Pam is losing faith that she has a chance with Jim

2) Old Pam hair, make-up, and wardrobe are back

3) Pam hasn't figured out how to a friend with "oomph"

4) Pam doesn't know what to do with the ball in her court

Questions to Ponder:

1) Is Roy starting to become a problem? Is it possible Pam will go back to him?

2) Did Pam make the right move with her advice to Jim?

3) What did FNB learn about herself?

4) Is it significant that Karen called Jim "Halpert"? Do you think this bothered Pam?

5) Just as Jim is stuck in limbo, so is Pam. How can she break free from her state of limbo? How does she become a "friend with oomph"?
End Notes:
This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter 12: Traveling Salesman by scrantonbranch
Pam barely made an appearance in this episode, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss. I have some basic speculation QTP's for this week to keep us busy!
On a side note, the cold open in this week's episode was packed with foreshadowing. It was not accident that "Harvey" said (or tried to) "I have loved you for a long time," when Jim and Pam were together in Michael's office. We know this is hidden somewhere in the minds of both Jim and Pam. This is a stroke of brilliance on the writer's part.

- - -

Questions to Ponder:

1) If Karen should ever confront Pam about her past with Jim, what should she tell her?

2) Should Pam carry on her friendship with Karen, now that Karen knows a little about her past with Jim?

3) Does Pam have any clue that Jim still has feelings for her? What can Pam do to figure out how Jim feels about her? Should she even try or should she just let him come to her?

4) Should Pam date? (This has come up in conversation recently, so I thought it would be fun to formalize it in the QTP.)
End Notes:
Commonly Used Acronyms:
PD = Pam Dichotomy,
JP = Jim Paradox,
CN = Casino Night,
FNB = Fancy New Beesly,
QTP = Questions to Ponder



This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter 13: The Return by scrantonbranch
It was so refreshing to see Pam in such an upbeat mood for an extended period of time. Although her screen time was limited again, Pam still had a few noteworthy scenes to clue us into her state of mind.

She is still keeping a low profile around Jim, with hopes that he will come around. Obviously, Pam has done a good job of letting Jim know the door is open without being too overt. He's starting to come back to her. Pam knows she is walking a fine line with Jim and has to be careful she doesn't scare him off (as she did in The Merger). This hasn't always been easy as we saw her have a momentary lapse of emotional control in Back From Vacation, however she has clearly gained from that experience. She fully realized how she feels about Jim as well as how much she needs and wants him. It gave her the resolve she needs to let him come to her in his own time. Karen poses a bit of a problem, but Pam's moral center won't let her do anything to interfere with that relationship.

For Pam, it's up to Jim and not her. Pam still doesn't get it that she has to at least meet him halfway. However, Pam does understand that she has to take full advantage of each time Jim give her his attention. Nevertheless, she again has to be subtle in how she responds to him. As thrilled as she was to join him in pranking Andy, she was careful to keep many of her emotions masked. It's a balancing act and she hasn't quite figured out how to tip the scales in her favor. That being said, she has learned how important it is to show Jim she's there for him no matter what.

This was a huge episode for the JAM optimist, but I'm again being very careful that I don't set myself up for a huge crash. So once again, I'm practicing tempered optimism. As fabulous as it was to see Jim and Pam colluding on a prank and further reestablishing their connection, it's important to note that it's just a step in a series of many more steps that are necessary for JAM to get together. It was just a mountain instead of a valley this week.

Andy Annoying Jim:

As Andy attempts to impress Jim with his wondrous ring tone, Pam is watching from her desk. She knows Jim is annoyed. She's watching Jim with a little bit of pity on her face. Poor Jim has to sit across from this guy and has no escape. Even though Pam is further away at her desk, she is clearly just as irritated with Andy.

As Andy starts sucking up with his comments of working under Jim, Pam raises her eyebrows with a playful nature. She knows Jim has just about had it. She's thinking C'mon Jim, let's get this guy. However, there's no way she's going to approach Jim about pranking Andy. It would be overstepping her bounds. She learned her lesson when he didn't respond easily to her last proposal with the Dwight CIA prank in A Benihana Christmas. Besides, it is Jim's turn to initiate a prank. He did eventually take Pam up on pranking Dwight. So, the next one is his call.

Jim at her Desk (prank proposal):

It turns out Pam played her cards right, as Jim does eventually come up to her desk and asks if she wants prank Andy. Pam actually plays a little prank on him by initially saying she's too busy to play. She then breaks out of her playful shtick and responds with a spirited "Yes, please!" Her response to his question has some interesting undertones. Her playful response of being too busy, may reflect on the possibility that she saw Jim go to Karen and Ryan before her. Andy was being incredibly obnoxious when Jim went to Karen.

Pam had to be watching. Ryan might be a little tougher to overhear, but it is possible. It seems more than a mere coincidence that her little prank reflects Karen and Ryan's responses to Jim. It might be her playful way of reminding him that she will always be there for him. If this is the case, nicely done Pam! Her "Yes, please" shows not only her enthusiasm to join in the prank, but it also emphasizes her own exasperation with Andy. She wants to get him just as badly as Jim.

Pam is thrilled that Jim came to her. It means a lot to her as she knows their friendship isn't the way it was before. Pulling a prank together can bring some of the old friendship back. The fact that Jim is willing to go back to that time (even if just for the day) is huge for Pam. However, she's careful not to let herself get too excited or emotional in front of Jim. She doesn't want to send him too strong of a cue. It might bring the cold shoulder back.

As Jim brings Andy's phone to Pam, she plays along naturally to his pretense of "messages." It's been a long time since they've worked together in planning a prank, but apparently it's like riding a bike. Neither has forgotten how to work/play with the other.

Prank Set-Up (Ceiling Toss):

Pam and Jim begin setting up the prank like a well-oiled machine. Both get up and start walking on a cue that's obviously part of a larger plan. Pam is simply gushing. She can hardly hold back her smile. She is thrilled to be part of a prank, but more importantly she's elated to be playing with Jim. There's even a little bounce in her step as she walks. They are doing something together. Karen and the past are not interfering with their relationship at this moment. It's just between the two of them.

Just as she hoped, it felt like the old days. She is his partner in crime as she hands off the phone to Jim. Pam acts as the lookout as Jim tosses Andy's cell phone into the ceiling. She is excited and a little worried about being caught, but she's loving every minute of it. This whole scene felt like a spy movie. Each move was executed with perfection from a team with a plan and perfect communication! It's old JAM at their finest.

*Side Note - Prank Logistics:

I can't help but wonder how the plan of this prank transpired. That walk to the break room was so orchestrated, Jim and Pam must have communicated via IM or e-mail beforehand, (any other mode of communication would have been too suspicious). They totally knew what they were doing every step of the way.

If IM or e-mail was the mode of communication, I'm very encouraged. In Season 2 they IM'd and e-mailed each other. It's another line of communication opening between them, (the more the better!). Pam also had Andy's phone before the ceiling "incident." She must've been the one to get Andy's cell number. She's playing the role of Jim's sidekick very well. It ought to get Jim's attention, especially after Karen refused to play.

Calling Andy's Phone:

Pam is the first one to call Andy's phone. Again, her jubilation at the prank (and playing with Jim) is written all over her face and body language. She was actually "head dancing" to the ring tone! There's also an air of satisfaction with pulling off a beautiful prank. She can barely keep a straight face as Andy's ring tone plays from the ceiling.

Jim Calling Andy's Phone:

As Jim sets off Andy's cell phone again, Pam looks in his direction with a small smile on her face. She again has air of satisfaction with the prank, but there is more to this smile. If Jim turned around and saw her, he'd see a face that says "I love you." She loved watching Jim be Jim.

Andy's Hole:

Jim and Pam inspect Andy's hole, amazed that their prank drove him this far over the edge. Pam makes the statement, "I think we broke his brain," and Jim busts out laughing uncontrollably. Briefly, Pam looks surprised that she made him laugh so hard, but soon joins in. Pam is very encouraged by the fact that she made him laugh. It sparks a major reconnection between them. For those few seconds it felt like the old familiar relationship they shared before. It was a nice "return" for both. Pam probably went home that day feeling a little more hope than she's allowed herself since The Merger.

There is a Season 2 parallel in this scene, but it's more on Jim's end, so stay tuned for the Jim Paradox update!

- - -

JAM Optimist:

1) JAM planned and pulled a prank together!
2) A new line of communication possibily opened
3) Pam is doing a great job of keeping the door open.

JAM Pessimist:

1) It's just one day and one prank. It's not enough to get them together.
2) Pam still doesn't get it that the ball is in her court.

Questions to Ponder:

1) Should Pam have taken more advantage of Jim's attention? If so, what should she have done differently?

2) Do you think Pam saw Jim strike out with Karen and Ryan? Does this have anything to do with how she responded to Jim's prank request?

3) Was Pam aware of Karen's observations?

4) Jim took his turn in pranking. Pam is next, so should she take her turn?

5) What aspects of FNB did Pam show off to Jim? What aspects of FNB have been further developed? What still needs work?
End Notes:
Commonly Used Acronyms:
PD = Pam Dichotomy,
JP = Jim Paradox,
CN = Casino Night,
FNB = Fancy New Beesly,
QTP = Questions to Ponder



This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter 14: Ben Franklin by scrantonbranch
Pam quite possibly had one of the worst days of her life. Her command of the English language failed her on more than one occasion leaving her with an enormous foot in her mouth. The cause of this lies mostly with Pam's internal struggle between the truth and her denial of the truth regarding her feelings for Jim. She's kept them bottled up from the beginning and honestly doesn't know how to deal with them any other way. She knows she has them, but she doesn't know what to do with them. Hence, the partial return of her denial.

Two situations forced her to deal with those emotions. First of all, it feels "cold" again between herself and Jim. The awkwardness has returned. She feels his wall again and is confused by it after they got so close during the cell phone prank on Andy. She feels like she is suddenly being shut out after Jim let her in. This upsets her and she desperately wants to get close to him again. Hence, her lame attempt at flirting. Secondly, Karen corners her about her past (and her feelings) with Jim. Karen totally blindsided her. She has nowhere to run in this situation and she gets incredibly flustered. Despite the negativity of these two situations, they have positive implications. They are forcing Pam to come face to face with her emotions. She may be trying to deny them, but they are nonetheless bubbling up inside of her to the point of no return. She needs this to happen if she's ever going to find the courage to tell Jim how she feels. She can't be honest with him until she fully accepts her feelings for him.

The chill between Pam and Jim also causes Pam to abandon her stance of patience. She reverted back to anxious and antsy behavior that results in nothing but disaster. Her anxiousness is rooted primarily in her rising jealousy of Karen, missing Jim, and feeling lonely. Roll that together into a ball and you've got someone who is nearing her breaking point. From the optimistic point of view, this is encouraging. Pam won't be able to hold it in too much longer. Pam is becoming more and more frustrated with her relationship or lack thereof with Jim. It's all going to come flying out of her eventually.

Pam's lack of experience in dating is another issue that is making her antsy. She doesn't know what to do to get Jim's attention. It all comes back to the fact that Pam is in the driver's seat of keeping JAM a possibility, but she is completely clueless in this role. She is still reliant on Jim to take on this role as he did in the past. Pam still doesn't fully realize that the fate of JAM rests on her shoulders.

Karen Hugs Jim/Talking Head:

Pam is watching intensely as Karen pops up from her desk and unexpectedly wraps her arms around Jim for a hug, (excuse me while I scream). Pam is obviously jealous that Karen is touching Jim. Pam hasn't really had to endure PDA between Jim and Karen up until this point. She's only seen Karen rubbing Jim's back in The Merger and a hug in A Benihana Christmas. Watching this hug is gut wrenching for her. Her face had a little tinge of heartbreak mixed in with her jealousy. Furthermore, she is just weirded out by it. It's not like either one of them. Nor is it usual "at work" behavior. It's just weird, even for Dunder Mifflin! T

his hug precipitates Pam's observation that "something is up with Jim and Karen," in her overlapping talking head. It's obvious that Pam has been watching both of them like a hawk. Subconsciously she's looking for cracks. She has noticed a glitch between Jim and Karen, but doesn't know what its all about. Jim has apparently been tight lipped. She'd never admit it to herself, but she's been looking for clues of trouble between Jim and Karen. Thus, her immediate denial that she's been eavesdropping. Pam is still hiding how she feels both from the camera and a little bit from herself. This is mostly in the name of self preservation. Despite her realization in Back From Vacation (crying), she still won't deal with those emotions head on. They've caused her nothing but pain so far, which instills her sense of denial. She is trying to play if off that Jim and Karen's behavior would be noticeably strange to anyone, even if they weren't eavesdropping.

Pam then jumps into the realization "that it's really not any of my business." The catalyst for Pam's behavior in the break room is represented in this statement. Pam doesn't know anything about Jim and Karen because Jim hasn't been talking to her recently. She feels out of the loop, which leaves her a little frustrated and bothered. She and Jim had progressively gotten closer and now it appears he's backed away. She's confused and a little hurt by this, just as she was in The Merger. Furthermore, in the past Jim was her business and now he's not. The awkwardness and instability of their current relationship is starting to get to her.

To add to her frustration, the current seating arrangement has Jim with his back to her. She doesn't have to opportunity to read his face on a regular basis. So instead, she's "gotten pretty good at reading the back of Jim's neck." She is venting here that this is her only option of gauging Jim's state of mind since he's not talking to her and she can't see his face. However, she is also reiterating that she knows Jim better than anyone whether it's from the front or the back. She knows when something is bothering him.

Packer:

Pam is further struck when Karen introduces herself as Jim's girlfriend to Todd Packer. She looks up and towards Karen as soon as "girlfriend" came out of her mouth. Pam is already uncomfortable due to Packer's presence and Karen has just added to it. Pam's jealousy and frustration levels have just gone up a notch. This coupled with the "hug" from earlier is paving the way for Pam's debacle with Jim in the break room.

Break Room #1:

It's anything but a chance meeting with Jim when Pam walks into the break room. She only went in there because he did. Her "ughhhh" is indicative that running into him was no accident. It sounded very contrived. She is bothered from the previous incidents and she wants to read more than the back of his neck. This is her attempt to get back into the information loop and regain Jim's attention. Unfortunately, "Ughhhh," was the best start she could come up with.

From there, we see Pam revert to a similar conversation starter she used in the Back From Vacation, "Everything okay?" She's hoping Jim will open up the same way he did before. Pam's hope is short lived as Jim replies "Oh, yeah. Why?" Pam has just hit Jim's newly repaired wall. To FNB's, credit she doesn't give up after hitting the first hurdle. She digs a little deeper with "You seem a little tired." This is her way of telling Jim she knows something is wrong and he can't hide it from her. She used this same tactic in Back From Vacation, albeit with much better results. Jim tells her he's had a couple of late nights from staying up and talking to Karen.

Pam is not happy to hear this, but she puts on a brave face. Inside she is falling apart and hurt. Jim is talking to Karen instead of her. This is a tough pill to swallow. To make matters worse, Jim is not divulging any further information. He actually starts to walk away, (listen carefully and follow her eyes.). He's next to the door in the next shot. Pam feels even further out of the loop, making her more desperate to regain her status as his confidante. Pam feels him slipping away, which sends her into panic mode.

She is flustered beyond all belief that he didn't take the bait again. She blurts the first thing that comes to her mind to stop him from leaving. The ingenious "You should get more sleep," flies out of her mouth. She is again trying to break through Jim's wall. Pam knows she's in trouble already, as Jim gives her an odd face. Unfortunately, this accelerates her panic, which in turn causes her to continue speaking. She continues her downward spiral with "Never underestimate the power of a good night's sleep." Pam seems determined to keep talking whether he wants to respond or not, simply as a means to keep him in the room.

She continues to beat her head against his wall with "When I get 8 hours compared to like 6 hours . . .it's like big difference." Pam has switched gears from initiating a conversation to trying to flirt and be cute in this sequence. If she can't get him to stay with a deep conversation maybe he'll stay because she's cute and funny. He's clearly not buying it and Pam becomes even more flustered. Pam proceeds to dig her grave a little deeper with her disjointed statement regarding REM and sleeping coupled with her little "dance," (how else would you describe that?!). She tries to save it with her attempt at sass with "better than not," (I still cringe at that after 10 viewings). Again, Jim does not bite with anything beyond casual conversation.

He heads out of the room and Pam knows she has lost him. She is beyond frustrated at this point which throws her into a whole new level of panic. She is going to give it one last shot to get his attention. She hits rock bottom with her "Don't fall asleep at your desk!" Even Pam recognizes the lunacy of that statement. She knows she has just made a complete idiot of herself as she utters "Oh, my God" under her breath. It's here where Pam comes face to face with her feelings. Making a fool of herself in front of Jim put her feelings in the limelight. She's very aware that she wants him to like (love) her again, just as she likes (loves) him.

Despite Pam's complete and utter failure at reconnecting with Jim in this scene, she deserves snaps for trying. Contriving to get back into the loop with him is very FNB. Unfortunately, her inexperience with men beyond Roy stifled her success. Pam has no clue how to consciously flirt. She has flirted with Jim in the past, but is was always subconscious. She was cute and funny to him without even trying. In this instance she was forcing it and it came out all wrong. Pam has to work on being herself even when she's flirting! Some of her awkwardness around Jim can also be attributed to her condition of denial. As evidenced in her talking head, she is still hiding her feelings. Pam needs to get more comfortable with her feelings before she can be completely comfortable and close to Jim.

Flirting is not the only thing Pam was trying to force. Pam's patience has clearly been spent. She has felt the void Jim has created since The Return and she feels the need to do something about it instead of waiting for Jim to find his way to her again. Pam was trying to create an opportunity instead of waiting for one to occur. Pam's behavior is highly reminiscent of her actions in The Merger. She suffered a major case of overconfidence and of being overly hopeful. The break room scenes from The Merger and Ben Franklin mirror each other in so many ways in that they have the same emotional undertones and awkwardness. It's obvious that the awkwardness has returned between them, courtesy of Jim's wall. In both scenes, Pam walks in on Jim as he's pulling something from the vending machine, with hopes of reconnecting with Jim. In both scenes, she is overly confident that he will respond to her and when he doesn't she becomes flustered and hurt. Her confidence takes a huge hit in both episodes. She doesn't trust that she has a chance with Jim at this point. Thus, there is the conundrum of both needing the other to send a signal when both are unable to do so.

Additionally, both scenes show Jim's wall is up and Pam is unable to get through. Pam obviously read a lot into the events in The Return. She is confused by Jim's recent cold behavior towards her making her all the more anxious to bring that closeness back, just as she was in The Merger.

The Evil Eye:

Pam's problems are furthered when Karen catches her looking at Jim. Karen shoots her a warning "back off" look. Pam is incredibly intimidated by this. She has already taken a shot to her confidence and this is not helping. Karen's intimidation at this point sets the stage for the confrontation between herself and Pam. Pam is already been knocked down by Jim and now it feels like Karen is taking her shot. Hence, Pam feels even more out of the loop. She's not part of Jim's world the way she used to be and Karen is reminding her of that.

Karen Confronts Pam:

Pam may have been intimidated by Karen earlier in the day, but it doesn't get in the way of her laughing and smiling with Karen during Phyllis's bridal shower or later in the kitchen. Pam seems to be fine with her as long as Jim is not a topic of discussion.

Pam is actually quite relaxed and having a good time as she and Karen discuss the Ben Franklin impersonator. That is until, Karen lays it on Pam that "Jim told me about you guys." Pam tries to avoid the subject by saying "What do you mean?" She's hoping to do the "we're just friends" song and dance that she knows so well. On another level, she's fishing for more information on exactly what Jim told Karen. When Karen divulges that Jim told her about the kiss, Pam is floored. The kiss is something very personal to Pam and now Karen has brought it out in the open. Pam is hurt and even feels a little bit betrayed that Jim would tell Karen something that was just between them.

To have something this private come from Karen (instead of Jim) is emotionally debilitating for Pam. She is unraveling inside the same way she did with Jim earlier in the day. Pam can't believe that Karen is in the loop about the kiss when she was the one who was there! Karen even said "we've talked it through." Pam hasn't had her chance to talk it through with Jim and she finds that deeply upsetting. Two questions are racing through her mind, "Why does Karen know more than I do?" and "Why did he go to her first?" For Pam, this conversation is happening with the wrong person. She needs Jim standing in front of her instead of Karen. It only emphasizes the fact that Pam is outside of Jim's wall. She feels even more isolated.

Karen goes on to explain that it's not a big deal and that she's okay with it. Pam puts on her best fake smile and nods in agreement unconvincingly. She can't hide her emotions. Karen has essentially cornered her into dealing with these emotions while at the same time hiding them. Pam has nowhere to run and Pam finds this enormously intimidating. When Karen said "it was just a kiss," Pam looked away. She can't maintain eye contact with Karen with something so emotionally overwhelming to her. To Pam, it was more than just a kiss. Even though she was unable to come to terms with it at the time, it was and still is a big deal to her. It hurts to hear Karen trivializing such a special moment. This was a big blow to Pam's confidence regarding Jim. Now she's under the impression that is wasn't a big deal to him.

Karen picks up on Pam's emotional state immediately and calls her on it. At this point, Pam becomes flustered once again. She feels exposed and her shock leaves her with no defenses. She's barely had a chance to think and pull herself together when Karen asks "Wait, you're not still interested in him?" Pam's mind is racing in one direction while Karen is going in another. Karen is asking her this question while she's still grappling with her emotions surrounding the kiss. Never mind, that Karen is really intimidating at this juncture. As a result, the words "Oh, yeah" come out. This is her one moment of honestly within herself. Only she didn't intend for that answer to be out loud. She had intended to say no, but her head said one thing and her mouth another. She didn't realize it until Karen called her on it.

Pam is horrified and responds frantically with "Oh, no." She tries to cover her tracks with "I was confused by your phrasing." This is a big fat fib, but Pam is intimidated by Karen and doesn't want to have to explain herself or her feelings. Besides, who is going to talk about their feelings with the girlfriend of their object of affection? Pam reaches the apex of confusion, frustration, and hurt causing her to become flustered yet again. Pam starts to ramble uncontrollably starting with "You should definitely go out with Jim. I mean you're going out with Jim." Pam is so scatterbrained right now she can't find her way out of a paper bag.

However, a moment of clarity is mixed in this jumble of words, "I'm not going out with Jim." Pam sounds like she's kicking herself with this statement. She could have had him back in May. She is also being reminded again that she is out of the loop. It's a tough reality she's facing for the third time in the same day. This jolt of reality causes her to push her feelings down again into the well of denial so as Karen doesn't see them again. Pam continues to cover her tracks by saying "You're dating him, which is awesome, because you guys are great together." She's trying to hide her feelings and her pain while hoping to convince Karen that her feelings for Jim don't exist in the first place.

On another level, this statement reminded me of Pam's talking head in The Fire as she talks about Jim dating Katy. She's trying to sound happy for him when she's really fraught with jealousy. It's her old standby of denying how she feels so that everything seems great. There's a tinge of envy in Pam's voice. She wants to be in Karen's place, which is by Jim's side. However, the important thing to note here is that Pam is much more aware of her denial than she ever has been before. This is key if she is ever to get past it. Pam should have stopped right here, but she felt the need to further reassure Karen that she's not interested in Jim, (liar!). She blurts out "I'm not into Jim . . . yeah." She actually interrupted Karen to say this! It seems Pam is trying to make her tracks completely disappear. Pam is also saying this to herself as a way to reestablish her denial as a means of self-preservation.

Luckily for Pam, Karen decides to let the issue rest. Just when Pam is off the hook she drags herself back into Karen's suspicion with her misplaced "Sorry." Pam is still intimidated by Karen, which seems to loosen her lips. This is another slip by Pam that indicates how she feels about Jim. It's naturally in Pam's nature to apologize when she thinks she's done something wrong. It goes back to her strong moral center. She's essentially apologizing to Karen for being in love with Jim. She feels bad she has feelings for somebody else's boyfriend. There's a little bit of guilt associated with this because Pam likes Karen as a friend. Karen is again on the ball and calls her on her slip. Pam gets flustered again and tries to get out of the predicament by feigning her misunderstanding with "Um . . .what?" She's trying to buy time with the hopes Karen will just drop it. But Karen persists to know what Pam is sorry about. Pam is cornered once again. She manages to wiggle out of it by telling Karen she was thinking of something else.

It's easy to chastise Pam for lying to Karen, but it's understandable. Pam has never talked about Jim or the kiss with anyone, besides her mother (presumably). She hasn't even talked to Jim about what happened between them. How can we expect her to open up to Karen? Karen basically cornered her and threw an incredibly difficult topic up for discussion. This was like a slap across the face to Pam. She was intimidated, nervous, and completely unprepared to talk about the kiss, least of all with Karen.

This scenario makes it easier to understand why Pam is relying on denial for self-preservation. Pam ran the risk of hurting herself and finding herself in deep trouble with Karen if she revealed all the details of her past with Jim. Pam isn't ready to deal with that kind of chaos given her current emotional state following her debacle with Jim in the break room. Not to mention the overall chaos of her relationship with Jim. At any rate, Pam doesn't owe Karen anything in this department. Jim is the only one that deserves to hear Pam's feelings on the kiss. The kiss is between Jim and Pam, not Jim, Karen, and Pam. Kudos to Pam for protecting that part of herself. Unfortunately, she did a terrible job of protecting herself. Karen can see right through her.

On the up side of all of this is the fact that Pam got some practice talking about the elephant in the room. Jim got his practice in Traveling Salesmen, The Return, and during 5 night's worth of long conversations with Karen. Pam just got her first heads up courtesy of Karen. Things are looking up for the BIG conversation that Jim and Pam need to have with one another.

Break Room #2:

Pam is pretty much at the end of her rope by the time she makes it back into the break room with Kelly, Ryan, and Jim. She made a fool of herself with Jim and Karen pinned her into a corner. She is emotionally spent. Kelly picked the wrong time to tease her about "flirting" with Ben Franklin. Pam is embarrassed but plays it off with a smile. Jim continues to tease her about Ben Franklin by asking if there are any "possibilities." Pam is not in the mood for his teasing. She only responds half-heartedly with "yeah . . . right." She doesn't like it that he's teasing her about dating. It just doesn't feel right to her. Especially, after her experience with Karen. Pam is a little hesitant to keep talking due to her previous experience with Jim earlier in the day.

However, FNB throws out the statement "God, I need a boyfriend." This statement is wrought with Pam's frustration from the day, but it's also sending Jim a message in the guise of sarcasm. She's trying to tell Jim she needs him. She's also sending Jim a little jab. She's letting him know "Hello, I'm open here. Where are you?!" She's simply venting her frustration with him. She's tired of feeling invisible. When Jim doesn't respond, she lashes out. She's already a little mad at Jim for telling Karen about the kiss, not to mention her aggravation towards herself for the break room disaster that ensued earlier. Pam tells Ryan she's ready to be set up with one of his business school friends as a way to get back at Jim and perhaps make him jealous, (it worked!).

This scene felt a lot like the parking lot conversation in The Merger. Pam was frustrated and upset after a rough day of Jim's cold shoulder. She is in the exact same situation in Ben Franklin, only her emotions are much more raw than in The Merger. In the break room, Pam is frustrated with herself, Jim, her situation, and the constant sense of not knowing what to do. Couple that with her overwhelming frustration of being out of the loop and her two foot-in-mouth events from earlier in the day. It was only a matter of time before she lashed out. She lashed out in a similar fashion in The Merger by telling Jim he can do whatever he wants in response to his "I've started seeing someone." She doesn't know any other way to alleviate her frustration.

The interesting thing about Pam is that even when she's at her breaking point she is still moderately passive. She's too shy to let all of her emotions out, whether they be love or anger. Chances are she's never had a real opportunity to feel safe enough to do so. She has an overwhelming sense of caring about what other people think of her, which is incredibly stifling. Even though she's upset and frustrated with Jim she doesn't want to vent that towards him face to face. Instead, she uses innuendo.

As far as making Jim jealous, she doesn't know what else to do. Her dating arsenal is limited. Her attempts at conversation and flirting came up empty, so evoking jealousy was the only strategy she had left besides confessing her feelings. Pam is getting closer to doing this, but her moral center and insecurities are preventing her from opening up to Jim. Morally, Pam won't open up until Karen is out of the picture. As for insecurity, Pam feels Jim's wall and his chilled shoulder. She feels like an outcast with Jim. Hopefully, Pam has learned once again that she needs to be patient. She can't force anything. On the up side, Pam is at least starting to bounce the ball that is in her court. She just lost track of it a couple times during the day.

Pam's behavior in this episode was bewildering at best. Let's hope she gets it together before next week!

- - -

JAM Optimist:

1) Pam is one step closer to getting completely past her denial. Not only that, she is aware of her denial! This is a big step!

2) Pam knows she has feelings for Jim. She just has to learn how to deal with them.

3) Pam is near her breaking point. Her emotions are almost ready to burst.

4) Pam found the ball in her court.

JAM Pessimist:

1) FNB stepped over the line with Jim.

2) Pam took a hit in her confidence. Pam is losing faith in her chances with Jim.

3) Pam doesn't know how to deal with her feelings.

4) Pam has lost her patience. She may turn to Roy or someone else to alleviate her frustration with Jim.

5) Pam is still clueless on how to keep the possibility of JAM afloat.

Questions to Ponder:

1) How bad of a hit did Pam's confidence sustain?

2) Should Pam have told Karen the truth?

3) Is Pam going to step out of her denial or is it going to come back full steam?

4) Is Pam ready to talk to Jim about the kiss?

5) What does Pam need to do to break down Jim's newly repaired wall?
End Notes:
Commonly Used Acronyms:
PD = Pam Dichotomy,
JP = Jim Paradox,
CN = Casino Night,
FNB = Fancy New Beesly,
QTP = Questions to Ponder



This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter 15: Phyllis's Wedding by scrantonbranch
Although Pam seems to have taken a GIANT step backwards by returning to some of her old habits (namely Roy), she is in fact heading towards a permanent transformation to Fancy New Beesley. Pam is hitting rock bottom at lightening speed, which means a quicker realization that she is FNB and she can't go back to Old Pam. At this juncture, it has to get worse, before it can get better. Pam's light bulb moment is approaching!

Pam is enamored with the idea of Roy instead of Roy himself. This is highly encouraging. Roy's reemergence into Pam's life is not as bad as it seems! The FNB in Pam will eventually be able to see through the illusion. Once she realizes she has evolved past her old life with Roy her transformation into FNB will be complete. However, that is going to take some time. Right now Pam is falling into her old pattern of allowing fear to prevent her from venturing into the unknown (a.k.a. Jim) in favor of the safe, secure, and known realm that Roy offers.

Essentially, Pam is reverting to the known past (a.k.a. Roy) to quell the confusion of the present. It is simply a coping strategy. Pam feels her life (and emotions) spinning out of control. It's just easier to revert to what she already knows instead of trying to figure out her feelings and Jim in general. Pam hit a point of vulnerability that opened the door for Roy. She is still reeling from the events of Ben Franklin, she's surrounded by "her" wedding, and Jim seems detached and unattainable. Roy walked in at the perfect moment.

The up side in all of this is that it won't last. Pam can only play along with this charade for so long, before she feels unfulfilled and lost again. Pam is essentially running into the fog, the same way Jim has since CN. Pam is attaching herself to Roy for the same reasons Jim is attaching himself to Karen. Both are lashing out, hiding from their feelings, and trying to mask the pain. Pam and Jim are perfect examples of avoidance behavior! Furthermore, both are attaching themselves to what they think will make them happy instead of what actually will make them happy. Neither is getting signals from the other or are willing to make the first move, which leads to mutual misunderstanding of how the other really feels. It's amazing how Jim and Pam are paralleling each other's behavior patterns! As if we needed another reason, but this furthers the idea that they belong together!

The important thing is that we have to let Pam fall. She won't learn anything unless she makes mistakes. She's already learned so much about herself from letting Jim go in CN (a HUGE mistake). She stands to learn even more by allowing Roy back into her life. Roy doesn't stand a chance of being a permanent fixture in Pam's life, he's simply a lesson to be learned. Just like we need Karen to bring Jim to Pam, we need Roy to bring Pam to Jim.

"Her" Wedding (Compilation of Scenes):

Pam may have been happy for Phyllis's nuptials but she wasn't too thrilled with the wedding. Right from the start Pam was inundated with Phyllis's copycat planning. First, the invitations Phyllis chose matched the invitations Pam selected for her wedding. FNB was able to let this roll off her back with a little humor as she says if felt like she was going to her own wedding. She tops it off with, "Wait, didn't I call that off." It bothers her, but she is trying to find the humor and protect herself from the pain associated with her cancelled wedding and all the reasons why she called it off, (one reason in particular, Jim). Pam is next hit with a floral arrangement at the wedding with "P&R" centered in the flowers. She can't help but point out, "Also, Pam and Roy." Her humor isn't as lighthearted as before. It's already starting to wear thin. However, she's still managing to throw a pinch of sarcasm into her observation. She is annoyed, but she's still trying to find the humor as a self defense mechanism. Phyllis added insult to injury when she came down the aisle in Pam's chosen wedding dress. With this Pam reaches a whole new level of irritation. There is no humor as Pam looks at the camera and says, "That's my dress." She might as well yelled, "You have got to be kidding me!"

It's interesting how Pam found the camera to voice her discontent in each of these three instances. She didn't even wait for a talking head opportunity to talk about the dress issue. She's clearly not shy about venting her frustration. This is probably the most blatantly honest we've seen Pam when talking into the camera. Perhaps, this is some low key foreshadowing into Pam's future honesty.

Later, Pam clues us in, via her conversation with Roy, that Phyllis even stole her flowers. Pam really is at "her" wedding, but she is not the bride. Instead, she's alone and frustrated. This sets her up for a fragile emotional state. Not only is she attending "her" wedding stag, but she's watching the man she loves attend with someone else. Not even FNB is strong enough to pull through this with all her emotional marbles.

With Kelly:

Up to this point, Pam felt rather successful in getting through the day with her chin up. The primary reason for this is because, FNB refused to fully admit she was bothered by Phyllis's wedding. There's a little bit of denial at work here as part of a self defense mechanism. Pam has a little shield up to keep herself from falling apart. Kelly blasts a little hole into this shield by asking, "Are you alright? This must be so awful for you." Pam counters with her usual cover-up response of "What do you mean?" She's hoping Kelly will let the issue drop. She doesn't want to talk about her cancelled wedding, as that is a soft spot she doesn't want to prod. She is trying to avoid all the pain associated with her almost wedding. She just wants to get through the night in one piece.

When Kelly doesn't let it drop with "This was supposed to be your wedding," Pam simply responds with "Oh . . . no. It's actually fine." Pam has been attempting to be "fine" all day. Kelly just made her realize she is not fine. Pam thought she was hiding her emotional frustration, irritation, and pain enough so that no one would notice, including herself. Kelly flat out called her on it and that threw Pam off her game. In a sense, Kelly gave Pam "permission" not to be fine. Of course, this "permission" only applies on an internal level. Pam is too private to let any of her pain and irritation show on the outside. This permission is part of what sends Pam into her later emotional turmoil.

With Roy:

Roy moves from his side of the table to sit next to Pam. She fidgets a little bit after returning his "hey." Pam is noticeably uncomfortable and even a little annoyed as she fidgets her body and her eyes in response to Roy's presence. She's already unnerved by the wedding, the last thing she wants is Roy, the jilted husband to be, to come over and talk to her. He's just another aspect of Phyllis's wedding that was part of her wedding. Roy comments on Phyllis's taste as he compliments the wedding. Pam is not amused as she says, "You're kidding me, right?" Roy has managed to bring up the worst topic possible. Pam's comment is her way of letting him bury himself further. Roy proceeds to do so by trying to turn on some charm by remembering what flowers he gave her for their prom. Pam takes this opportunity to stick it to him, "Roy, I picked those flowers. Phyllis just stole all of my ideas for our wedding." It felt good to jab him and pin him into the corner. She got a little bit of revenge for all the times he had her cornered. Even though Pam is down this evening, FNB is still shining through! She liked watching him squirm.

From here, Roy takes a very unexpected path as he apologizes for not being involved in the wedding planning. Pam accepts it and says, "It's okay." She's really telling him and herself that it doesn't matter anymore. It's already an absolution to her the wedding is caput and so is her relationship with Roy. This leaves her with a sense of loss and emptiness. She's been able to cope with it and overcome it until faced with it this evening. On another note, Pam is very surprised by Roy's apology. She was actually touched by it. This scares her a little bit. She lets out a small vocal inflection after telling him "It's okay." This signifies her internal struggle. It's almost like she's telling herself, Pam don't fall for it. Stay strong. She's trying to keep her defenses in place.

However, Roy manages to charm his way into Pam's psyche, "Well, I think this sucks for you. I'm the one who actually wanted to get married." It may be a poorly worded statement, but it's sentiment was not lost on Pam. Just as in all the other conversations between them this season, Pam knows exactly what Roy is doing. However, this time it's different. If feels good to have someone "trying" to be with her. It's a huge confidence booster, following the blow she received in Ben Franklin. She needs someone to want her.

Roy is bestowing the kind of attention Pam has been trying to get from Jim with little or uncertain success. At this point, she'll take it wherever she can get it. It feels good to know someone without any confusion. Jim is wrought with confusion and uncertainty. Pam is tired from the chaos and the puzzle. The ease factor of Roy is in direct contrast to Jim. He's an escape from the emotional disaster she's endured for so long. She knows exactly where Roy stands. There's no mystery for her to solve. The feeling of familiarity is what Pam will later mistaken for companionship and attraction. For the moment, however, she is just tempted. She is still trying to keep her defenses in place, although, they are weakening.

At the Bar with Jim:

Pam walks up to Jim as he waits for a couple of drinks. He greets her warmly with a "hey," and she returns the favor, (it's distinctly warmer than the one she gave to Roy). After that Pam looks a little lost. She makes a little face that indicates she's a little nervous around Jim. Even though it's been at least a week since the events of BF, Pam is still a little self conscious around him. She doesn't want to make a fool out of herself again. Pam is surprised when Jim starts to tease her about her famous "Beesly dance moves." She lets out a guarded giggle. Pam has a newly developed fear of flirting that stems from her break room debacle last week. However, she does keep the joke going by saying, "I'm pacing myself." She doesn't make eye contact, again out of self consciousness and nerves. Despite the disadvantages these emotions typically possess, Pam is able to use them to her advantage.

Jim teases her a little more by telling her to get out there and give the people what they want. In response, she gives the self deprecating statement, "No, I'm such a dorky dancer," to incite more teasing. Jim does continue to tease, but he throws a curve ball by adding a flirty aspect to his teasing by telling her "I know. It's very cute." Pam isn't quite sure what to think, as it takes her a few seconds to digest. Her mind is asking, Wait, did he just say I was cute?, as she flashes a quick and unsure smile. Her eyes are searching for some sort of a signal from him to confirm her perspective that he's flirting with her. She just isn't sure about anything related to Jim these days!

Even more, she wants a signal that he still has feelings for her. She needs that hope now more than ever. Pam's emotions start to overwhelm her so, while he's not looking, she shoots him an "I love you" face. It's her way of asking if he feels the same way. She still not brave enough to do it to his face, nor is she able to put it into words. On another level, Pam is hoping Jim will ask her to dance. The conversation seemed like a perfect transition to that question. Pam seems like she wants to ask as well, but she can't find the courage. She's still searching for the signal to foster bravery on all fronts. Alas, Jim fails to give her the signal she is so desperate to receive.

Jim's flirting and subsequent failure to send a signal coupled with Pam's emotional surge creates a plethora of mixed signals that Pam is left to grapple with. It sets the stage for Pam's heartbreak at seeing Jim dance with Karen.

Watching Jim Dance with Karen:

Pam is literally staring at Jim as he slow dances with Karen. It hurts to see him with someone else, not to mention the jealousy that is burning in her chest. There is sense of sadness on her face as she feels very alone. She knows it could've been her in Karen's place and that makes it hurt all the more. Pam is still kicking herself (she needs to stop doing this!), for letting him go. Furthermore, Pam is hurt by the fact that Jim looks happy with Karen.

Pam is caught in the act as Jim looks up and locks eyes with her. He is smiling, but it's not a smile that Pam perceives well. Pam misunderstood it and to her it felt like a smirk, (it important to note that Jim did not intend it that way!). It was actually a leftover smile directed at Karen, but Pam didn't see it that way. All she knows is that it didn't feel like the warm smiles he used to send her way. To her, it feels like a jab, I'm happy with Karen. Before he looked at her he was smiling and talking to Karen. Pam looks away before seeing Jim's smile fade to one of his famous deep looks. Her misconception was the last straw. She even more confused by Jim's mixed signals. She breaks her brain as she tries to coincide what happened at the bar and Jim's perceived actions on the dance floor in front of her. She is emotionally at the end of her rope. This misconstrued facial expression and basically just seeing Jim with someone else are huge catalysts that send Pam to the refuge of Roy.

Roy Asks Pam to Dance:

Pam is hanging out by herself as Roy approaches her. She is already upset by seeing Jim dance with Karen, (and that smile) and now the band is playing her and Roy's song, not to mention all the other emotionally tumultuous aspects of the day. Talk about a bad combination that is perfect for Roy to swoop in for the kill! She again looks like she doesn't want Roy around. FNB is smart enough to know that Roy practically has a "danger" sign illuminated on his forehead.

Pam knows she is emotionally weak and is trying to steer clear of Roy. She doesn't answer him when he says, "hey." At this point, he's just something else bothering her. Roy makes mention that the band is playing their song. Pam, as usual, responds kindly with "Yeah, that's weird. I thought they only played the Police." However, she still has the tone of "go away, please" attached to her response. That all changes when Roy reveals he slipped the band $20 to play it. Pam is shocked that Roy would do something like that, but she is equally touched. The gesture itself meant the world to her. It wasn't Roy or the song, it was the idea that someone thought of her. Roy has his moments and this is one of them.

It again comes back to the idea that Pam is responding to Roy because it feels good that someone is trying for her. Pam doesn't feel Jim trying for her and she's perceiving that as "he doesn't want me." The dance floor incident sealed the deal. Roy caught her at her most vulnerable point in the evening and it played greatly into his favor.

Roy takes it a step further and asks the question Pam had been waiting for from Jim, "You wanna dance?" She think about it for about a split second and then nods in the affirmative. Pam can't help herself. Roy is giving her the attention she's craved from Jim, ever since The Merger, but hasn't received. Now, here's Roy giving her that attention coupled with a grand gesture. Her weakened defenses and emotional state leave her dead in the water. FNB can't see the danger sign anymore, all Old Pam can see is a familiar face that represents a break from the chaos and the pain. Again, the ease of Roy is refreshing to a tired mind and heart, despite her better judgment.

Roy grabs onto Pam's hand and leads outside, (this is significant, but more on that later). Both are a little self conscious about people seeing them together, (not to mention Roy wants to get her alone). I also like to think Pam is trying to sneak away from FNB as well. Pam has a nervous smile on her face as a result. She's not entirely sure she doing the right thing, even though it feels good. Even Old Pam knows she treading on dangerous waters, she's just refusing to see the warning signs.

Dancing/Leaving with Roy:

Pam let's Roy hold her close as they dance outside. Pam allows this because she needs it. She's essentially been alone since Jim let go of her hands in CN and the subsequent dumping of Roy. Her sense of isolation was heightened in BF, and is still effecting her. She just needs to be near someone. Earlier she was hoping to get this chance with Jim, but that never came to fruition. Roy stepped into this role just when Pam needed him.

Near the end of the song, Roy asks Pam if she wants to leave. Pam thinks about it for a second, realizing that Roy is asking her to leave with him. She knows this might be a bad idea but she is overcome with her demons of pain, loneliness, feeling of rejection, being lost. Rationality has taken a back seat to Pam's internal emotional chaos. Roy is actually offering an escape on more than one level with his question. First he is offering an escape from the wedding itself, which has mired Pam with irritation the whole day. Secondly, he is offering an escape from Jim and all the pain and confusion that comes with him. Pam's first reaction is quickly pushed aside in favor of the escapes Roy provides. It's again the result of her vulnerability. Had he asked earlier in the evening, (before seeing Jim and Karen), Pam probably would have refused.

As Pam and Roy head out, Roy holds his hand out to Pam and she grabs on and pulls him towards her. This has enormous significance, but a little back tracking is necessary to break down Pam's mentality. The hand holding initially started as Roy led Pam outside to dance. This grounded Pam in that it feels like Roy is telling her he's there for her and that he wants to be with her. She was particularly vulnerable, so this was huge for her. As Roy and Pam leave, the hand holding returns as stated above, with Pam grabbing onto Roy. She's really grabbing onto a sense of order and a "center." This operates much like her moral center as she needs something or someone that is always there with the answer or for support. Pam is turning Roy into her center. Previously, Jim fulfilled that role. He was her "go to" guy. He was always there for her no matter the situation and she could always "grab" onto him. She lost Jim as her center when she turned him down on CN, which explains Pam's sense of being lost. Which in turn explains why Pam can't fully transform into FNB. How can someone evolve if they are lost? It's like wandering around blindfolded.

This is why she doesn't know how to behave around Jim (another insight that explains her behavior in BF). It's important to note that Roy can only fulfill this role for so long. FNB will come through again, once the illusion comes to light. The reason why this supposition can be made is based primarily on Pam's body language as she leave with Roy. Her posture is slouched and her head is hanging, which highly resembles Old Pam. FNB won't be pushed aside for long before she comes out swinging.

Subconsciously, Pam knows this is not going to work, but she's pushing feeling aside for the quick fix instead. Roy is making her feel better here and now, but he won't long term.

The Bottom Line:

In the past, Pam could always rely on Roy to provide a shield that protected her from admitting her feelings for Jim. Granted, this was primarily linked to her moral center and sense of commitment to Roy, but the concept remains the same. Pam is subconsciously running to Roy to protect her once again. She needs a safe haven from the pain and chaos that exists between her and Jim. Only it's just a false sense of security. This behavior parallels Jim as he runs to Karen for similar reasons.

Pam may even entertain the idea of rekindling things with Roy because she feels she has to get past Jim. She is under the impression that he is not interested in her, so she must move on to preserve her own sanity. Roy is a ready made relationship to accomplish that goal. Fortunately, FNB is already alive in Pam. She will eventually realize that Roy cannot be her center or her relationship. She has learned and changed too much. She needs Jim. Roy is going to unwittingly help her figure all of this out, the same way Karen is bringing Jim to his realizations.

We may not like it, but we do need Roy for JAM to happen. Roy is going to help Pam realize that she can't rely on anyone besides herself to be her center. This is the rock bottom Pam must hit. Once she does that, she'll have the confidence, courage, and honesty she needs to find her way back to Jim. Instead of relying on him to be her absolute center, he takes on the role of complimenting her center with his. Pam isn't wandering off course, she's just taking the scenic route!

- - -

JAM Optimist:

1) Pam is hitting rock bottom. It sounds bad, but it's necessary for her to find her way back to Jim

2) Pam knows she loves Jim.

3) Pam is still developing FNB.

4) Roy will help Pam find Jim.

JAM Pessimist:

1) One word: Roy.

2) Pam is hitting rock bottom. She may not find her way back.

3) Pam's confidence is still very low.

4) Pam still doesn't know what to do with the ball in her court! She's actually abandoned the ball altogether.

Questions to Ponder:

1) Why didn't Pam ask Jim to dance at the bar?

2) Who will ultimately "save" Pam: Jim, FNB, or someone else?

3) Describe Pam's new relations Roy. Are they friends or more than that? What are they? What will they become?

4) Why does Pam still have her old wedding invitation?

5) Will Pam use Roy to make Jim jealous?
End Notes:
Commonly Used Acronyms:
PD = Pam Dichotomy,
JP = Jim Paradox,
CN = Casino Night,
FNB = Fancy New Beesly,
QTP = Questions to Ponder



This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter 16: Business School by scrantonbranch
Pam can't seem to catch a break to save her life. She's continuing to find herself plummeting towards rock bottom. She came very close to thudding before Michael came to her rescue. For JAM fans it's comforting to know the bottom is near for two reasons. First, Pam will permanently transform into FNB. Second, it means the end of Roy and the beginning of Pam finding her way back to Jim. Unfortunately, it is heart wrenching to watch Pam wriggle through this time of struggle and self discovery. If only Pam could hear us cheering her on from the sidelines. (Despite her shortcomings and infuriating behavior I can't help but love her!)

Pam is obviously still dealing with the ramifications of the events in Ben Franklin and Phyllis's wedding. Her confidence is shaken as well as her sense of security. Her rekindled relationship with Roy is the result of her need for a safety net. Her life and emotions feel so out of control she needs an anchor. Sadly, her anchor is doing just that by anchoring her to Old Pam and her old life. Luckily, FNB is still alive and fighting to be heard. Pam's relationship with Roy is noticeably different from before. It seems much more forced from Pam's end. She's making herself believe that this is the correct course of action for the simple reason that it seems easier than going through the growing pains of becoming FNB. JAM fans can breathe easy in that Pam is already beginning to see right through Roy. The illusion is starting to break down, which in turn makes Pam feel very alone despite having Roy in her life. It may take a little bit longer before Pam fully admits this to herself, but the silver lining is that she's noticing Roy hasn't changed. The FNB in her won't put with same old Roy for very long.

Pam's emotional state has also managed to bring out Pam's inherent need for validation. Normally, this personality trait is very subtle, but in this episode she is practically begging for support, in that she is self deprecating herself as a means of asking for validation. It's subconscious tactic of talking herself down to get others to bring her up out of the hole. Her motivation for this lies primarily with her downward spiral that started in Ben Franklin, Phyllis's Wedding and continues through to her art show. Her confidence took such a blow in Ben Franklin only to be shattered in Phyllis's Wedding. She needs someone or something to provide validation to rebuild that confidence. Let's face it, self confidence is something that takes time to develop and sometimes an outside force is necessary to provide a foundation. Pam's relationship with Roy can be traced to this need for a foundation. Previously, Jim was her crutch, but he is no longer playing that role. So, Pam is now looking to Roy to be her crutch in the confidence department. This quest is quite futile in that Roy has never been a source for Pam's confidence. Her realization in this along with Roy's unchanged personality is going to create the thud we are all waiting to hear.

On another level, it's impossible not to notice how Pam's need for validation so strongly mirrors Jim's experiences in Stamford. He went through a similar phase of needing acceptance, notably showcased in Grief Counseling (Call of Duty) and The Coup (Chip Hunt), (see the JP on these two episodes for the run down on Jim's need for validation). The behavior parallels continue as Pam goes back to Roy. Roy is Pam's rebound, just as Karen is Jim's rebound. Both are in relationships to avoid their feelings and hide from the pain. The only difference is Pam is running back to an old relationship, while Jim is trying to create a new one. However, the emotional motivations remain the same. This all falls in line with the necessity of Pam to feel a little bit of Jim's pain from all those years of unrequited love. She'll be able to approach him with an understanding that didn't exist before, which is going to have big impact on Jim. Pam and Jim are essentially going through the same phases, (denial, partial awareness, fear, avoidance, rebound, etc.). She's a step or two behind him, but these two are going to be right in step with one another very soon. Both are going to hit a moment of honesty about their feelings for one another at roughly the same time. Have faith in that moment's arrival.

Roy at Pam's Desk:

Pam is just eating up the heaping spoonfuls of attention that Roy is feeding her as he hangs out at her desk. Ironically, he's occupying Jim's spot of leaning on her desk. It seems Pam is trying to replace Jim with Roy, (just as Jim is trying to replace Pam with Karen). Roy tells her he can't wait to go to her art show, (even though it is dripping with the undertone of getting together after the show). Pam is happy to hear it, but she gives Roy an out be saying it's just a bunch a students from her class in a little studio. This her way of prodding Roy to get more attention. She almost looks like she's pleading with him to contradict her, as a means to build her confidence. Pam is subconsciously using reverse psychology (see Christmas Party for Michael's stellar explanation! ;-)) to get Roy to validate her artistic efforts and to reassure her of his commitment to her. Roy obliges with "I wouldn't miss it for the world." It's exactly what she wants to hear.

She smiles in acceptance and thanks him. But it isn't warm and fuzzy, as it feels more rigid to let him know she expects him to be there. This is rooted mostly in her own self doubt and confidence issues, but there is an air of passive aggressiveness. Roy is seemingly there for her in ways he wasn't before and that gives her courage to be a little more demanding for his attention, despite the fact that it's misguided. Pam's courage only exists to make Roy her crutch. This behavior lends to the notion that Pam is enamored with the idea of a relationship and attention and not necessarily with Roy. The trick with all of this is for FNB to take this newfound courage and redirect towards Jim in a more positive way, once Pam's confidence is restored.

Talking Head:

It doesn't take long for Pam to feel the need to defend her rekindled relationship with Roy. In her talking head she is adamant the she's "really happy to be back with Roy." The striking aspect of this statement is that it almost matches Jim's, "I'm really happy I'm with Karen." This is another instance of how Jim and Pam are mirroring each other. His statement was a direct result of overwhelming emotions, jealousy, and frustration. He needed to believe he was happy with Karen. Pam is in the same boat when it comes to Roy. She went back to him for all the same reasons and is therefore having to justify it to herself that she's doing the right thing. Their matching statements are beyond coincidence and an immediate tip off that Pam is full of doubt.

Beyond the "coincidence" is simple body language. Pam is not smiling or gushing as she talks about Roy. She is very matter of fact and flat in tone as she describes her "happy" feelings. Furthermore, that vacant and defeated face that frequently graced the screen in Season 1 and parts of Season 2 is back. Old Pam is definitely in the driver's seat at this juncture. As she finishes her declaration, her face is pleading with the camera to "buy it." Dig a little deeper and she's even trying to sell it to herself. Her head is even nodding slightly as another indicator that she is full doubt. It's again directed at the camera as another way of saying, I mean it . . . really I do. She reminds me of used car salesmen trying to sell the biggest heap of junk on the lot. Roy is that used car and Pam is trying to sell it to herself and to the camera. It's in effect another cry for validation. She wants someone to tell her that she is indeed doing the right thing.

Pam goes on to defend herself by saying "I think it shows maturity . . . maturity and dignity." The nod and pleading face accompany this statement as well. This is exactly what she is telling herself instead of admitting it's her own fear and insecurities that caused her to go back to Roy. She knows it deep down, but she refuses to believe it. Her loneliness and fear of being alone, along with FNB growing pains are all part of her reversion to Roy. Simply put, it got too hard and too scary. Pam's word choice actually helps to shed light on what she is really feeling. The word "maturity" is in direct relation to the growing pains associated with the development of FNB. Pam wants to think she's done evolving. If she convinces herself that she's become the person she wants to be than she won't feel the pain and fear that sometimes accompanies change. Let's also not forget her fear of change.

Going back to Roy is another way to reclaim something familiar and easy. It's classic avoidance. The word "dignity" is also an immediate clue of Pam's state of mind. Pam craves a little bit of dignity following her perceived humiliations in BF and PW. We know she took a huge confidence hit in both episodes, causing a massive loss of dignity that sent her into this downward spiral. Furthermore, Pam doesn't want to admit her weakness of being unable to be alone and face change. She feels like she's failed at becoming FNB and is hoping Roy to fill the void and replenish her dignity. His attention is giving her a false sense of dignity and security. Pam should've just said going back to Roy is just easier rather than mature and dignified. This segment speaks volumes of her avoidance of her feelings for Jim, fears, and insecurities.

In all fairness, we have to recognize that Pam is slightly aware of what she is doing. Otherwise, she would not be defending her choice to be with Roy so ardently. Even though Old Pam is in control of the steering wheel, FNB is a back seat driver, (Please excuse my driving analogy. The Daytona 500 is today and I'm really excited for the NASCAR season to start!) FNB is totally aware that Old Pam is trying to mask the real reasons why Pam is with Roy. The defense mechanism is FNB trying to grab a hold on the steering wheel.

Pam continues to showcase her doubt by throwing in "Is that braggy? I don't mean that to be braggy." It's another instance of her own insecurities and another cry for validation. In effect, subconsciously she knows she just fed the camera a pack of lies, (even though she's convinced herself it's the truth) and she's trying to cover herself. Her overconfidence gives her away. She's really not sure if she's doing the right thing by being with Roy and she's again asking the camera to give her the thumbs up. Pam seems a little bothered at the end of her talking head by giving a little head jerk. It's a signal of her internal battle of Old Pam vs. FNB. She is trying to tell herself that she is fine and dandy when in reality she is torn, confused, and still lost.

It's actually a positive sign that Pam is becoming less convincing in her talking heads. She's always been ambiguous and transparent in her talking heads, but she was somewhat more believable in previous episodes. However, this time it's apparent that she's losing her ability to hide what she's really feeling. It's another small step toward emotional honesty.

Roy Leaves Pam's Desk:
Pam is again eating from Roy's hand as he tells her, "I love you," as he walks away. She is beyond thrilled that someone is saying it to her. It fills the empty void of not hearing it or sensing it from Jim with any certainty. This again falls along the lines of the idea of love instead of actually being in love with Roy. Her response to him exemplifies this concept perfectly. She responds with "You, too," instead of a full "I love you." Her resistance to say "I love you," is rooted in her uncertainty with the relationship. However, she needs to give a response that gives the impression she feels the same way in order to keep the attention coming and the relationship on track. FNB knows she doesn't love Roy, but Old Pam is refusing to buy into that fact. As Roy leaves it's easy to tell that Pam is reveling in the attention that the sentiment entails, but she is unable to return it. JAM fans must believe it's because the love she does feel is not for Roy, it is for Jim.

With Kelly:

Gossip queen Kelly jumps right into Pam's face with "I can't believe your back together with Roy." Pam again feels the need to defend herself by responding with, "Oh, yeah. We have such a solid foundation." This is just another defense aimed at justifying her relationship with Roy. She wants validation from Kelly the same way she wanted it from the camera. However, there are deeper connotations associated with the statement. It's interesting that Pam uses the phrase "solid foundation." Pam is desperate for a center or a foundation to calm her chaotic state.

In effect, she's admitting why she is with Roy. Just as in her talking head, she is not gushing or blushing about being in love. It's clear her motivations to be with Roy are not about having feelings for him, but rather to feel safe and secure. Kelly inadvertently throws this in her face with "Oh my God, you are so in love now." Pam throws out a quick and unconvincing "yeah." and then quickly changes the subject to her art show.

Pam doesn't want to talk about how "in love" she is with Roy. She knows if she engages in a conversation with Kelly the truth would come out that she doesn't love him or at the very least is unsure of how she feels. This would lead to the collapse of the illusion she is maintaining for herself. She desperately wants to believe that Roy is the right man for her, everything is fine in her life and there's no more chaos or pain. The fact that Kelly so pointedly reminded Pam that she's not "so in love" is upsetting to Pam and shakes her grasp on the foundation of Roy.

Pam search for validation again extends beyond Roy, and into her art show. She again uses the tactic of talking herself down to prod Kelly into saying she would go. This is very Old Pam, but we have to give snaps to FNB for giving Pam the courage to ask Kelly in the first place.

Art Show I - Waiting:

Pam is all alone next to her artwork. She is well aware of the contrast as other artists are surrounded by people. She is already showing signs of self-doubt through her hope that someone will come by and admire her work. She is especially hopeful and expectant that her co-workers will show up to offer their support and validation. Her eyes wander over to the door as she waits for her support network to show up a.k.a. her friends/co-workers. Seeing this doubt even as she stands in front of her own work, help to explain her self deprecation throughout the day. She's not confident with her artwork. That being said, she is in fact proud that it's on display and she wants people to see it, but she also knows it doesn't compare to the artwork that surrounds her. In a striking element of symbolism, someone literally walks right past Pam's display without even giving a glance to her artwork, as she waits.

On a side note, I applaud the writers' move of making Pam's artwork less than spectacular. It's so symbolic of the fact that Old Pam is holding her back both personally and artistically. However, there is a glimmer of hope. Pam's artwork is good, it's just not amazing. It's clear she has talent, but she lacks the inspiration and self awareness which in turn translates to bland art. Once FNB kicks into full gear, I have not doubt that Pam's talent will create some incredible works of art.

Art Show II - Roy Arrives:

Pam finally manages to rope in a viewer when an old lady comes to inspect her artwork. She explains her work as being "from the same series, called 'Impressions.'" She is waiting and hoping for some validation from this complete stranger. When she doesn't get it immediately she falls back to her tactic of talking herself down to evoke a contradiction with "Not that I would call myself an Impressionist per se." It's again showcasing her self doubt and plea for acceptance. The old woman responds with "Maybe one day." Pam takes this as almost being a compliment and she fishes for more with, "I hope so." She goes on to say "I still need my breakthrough, or whatever." This statement is just dripping in double meaning! The breakthrough Pam speaks of is FNB. Deep down she knows this, but she is resistant.

The "whatever" she throws in at the end represents her fear and resistance to the struggle to become FNB. She is denying the road block that is currently in front of her to get past the struggle. Instead, she is taking a detour around that roadblock to avoid the struggle altogether. Aside from the double meaning lies yet another attempt from to elicit a compliment of any kind from this woman. Alas, the women is tight lipped and walks away without any sort of praise. Pam turns and looks critically at her work. Deep down she knows she is capable of more. However, a compliment would be nice to reinforce her internal sense of pride.

As if on cue, the impediment to Pam's breakthrough waltzes through the door, (well, he's an impediment as long as he anchors her to Old Pam). Roy shows up as promised with his brother in tow. Roy's slovenly appearance should've been Pam's first clue that he wasn't going to hang around. He looked like he was going out for a night at the bowling alley or Poor Richards. Pam greets him warmly enough with "Hey babe. How are ya?" Pam's body language from this point is actually very promising as she is a little standoffish with Roy. He reaches towards her to hug her along with a kiss, but she holds him back by putting her hands on his chest. She waits for him to notice her work and provide some sort of validation as she quietly glances at her display.

Instead of commenting on her work Roy points out "I showed up with my brother and no one from work is here." This immediately shakes Pam to her core. She was expecting a kind and supportive comment as per her illusion, but instead Roy fired a personal jab. She is crushed. Roy caps it off by saying "Pretty cool, huh?" She nods yes but she is really thinking No, this is not cool. The jab just dug in deeper. She is not only dealing with the fact that Roy made her feel like a failure, but also with the fact that she saw Roy step out of the illusion. She saw Roy was elevating himself by pointing out her failure and that hurt deeply. This is a great example of how FNB is making her voice heard. Pam's perspective on Roy has changed whether she wants to believe it or not. Unfortunately, Old Pam is still refusing to fully accept what she saw and felt with Roy's comment. She's desperately grasping onto the illusion to safeguard the foundation he represents. She looks back towards her work still holding on to the hope that Roy will redeem himself by complimenting her work.

The key of this whole scene is that Roy failed to lived up to Pam's expectation of providing her with validation and support. His presence just wasn't enough, as she was clued in that he wasn't sincere. The fact that Pam is noticing this is unbelievably important. Old Pam (without FNB hiding inside) never would have taken notice of Roy's poor behavior. Instead, she would have written it off as Roy being Roy. FNB won't let Pam do that completely, despite the fact that Old Pam is trying. Pam didn't say anything to Roy when he shot his mouth off, but I could hear FNB screaming at Pam to call him on his tactic.

Art Show III - Roy Leaves Early:

Roy asks Pam if it's okay if he leaves. He proudly touts that he looked at all of her pieces. Pam still isn't impressed with Roy's comments or presence. Despite this she still wants him to stay in the hopes of gaining some sort of validation from him. She tries to goad him into staying with a patented guilt trip of, "I'll just drive myself home," (ladies we all do this, don't deny it ;-)). Old Pam just doesn't understand that this validation has to come from within and without bait. Furthermore, validation is earned, and does not result with pleading. Aside from gaining his validation, Pam just doesn't want to be alone.

Roy adds insult to injury by suggesting Pam drives over to his place. Pam becomes incredibly self conscious. This isn't the kind of attention she wants or needs from Roy right now. Roy's tops it all off with his oh so suave, "Your art was the prettiest art of all the art." Pam looks at him with an expression of "Did you seriously just say that?" Pam saw right through him like a freshly cleaned window. Can't you just smell the Windex? The insincerity of his statement hurt her as she knows he only said it to get her into bed. Pam doesn't want to feel sexy right now, she wants to feel good about her abilities and herself in general. Roy just doesn't get that. Needles to say, the illusion of Roy being her center has taken a bit of a hit.

Art Show IV: Oscar and Gil:

Pam walks up to her display and is thrilled to find Oscar and Gil checking out her work. She shoots a hopeful smile towards the camera. The fact that co-workers showed up was a small victory for Pam. She's hoping to hear something positive. Unfortunately, Gil spearheads some nasty comments criticizing Pam's work. Oscar is quick to defend her, but quickly joins Gil's side, when Gil comments that real art requires courage and honesty. In response, Oscar says "those aren't Pam's strong points." Pam is already hurt by these statements when Gil piles it on further by calling her work "motel art." Pam is utterly crushed. I

nstead of getting some much needed support and validation, she was decimated on two fronts, personally and artistically. For someone who cares so much about how other people perceive her, the fact that Oscar's comment insinuated that Pam was dishonest and lacked courage hurt her deeply. Hopefully, FNB heard this and is taking notes. Her transformation into FNB requires an immense amount of courage and honesty. Oscar's comments may eventually serve as the reality check Pam needs once the hurt calms down.

Art Show V - Michael Arrives:

As other exhibitors saying good night to their spectators, Pam is still holding out a little hope that someone will show up. She checks her watch and peers towards the door that yields no one she knows. It's at this moment that she gives up any hope that she has left. She walks over to her display defeated and deflated as she starts pulling out the thumbtacks that are holding up her efforts. She is surprised to hear Michael's voice as he says "Pamcasso" (that's really cute, BTW) and apologizes for being late. As Michael look at Pam's work in awe, he asks her if she drew them freehand. She responds with "Yup." Pam is a little taken aback by Michael's interest. He is after all the first person to say something nice about her work. She is actually preparing herself for the fact that something horrible will come out of his mouth. For one, it's Michael and secondly a horrible comment would just match the evening. She's through fooling herself.

He continues by saying "Wow, these could be tracings." His attention is captured by her rendition of the Scranton Business Park, (Did anyone else notice that it really was her best piece?). He gushes over it and tells her she "nailed it." Pam hardly knows what to do with Michael's praise. She's standing off to the side looking a little confused at Michael's reaction to her painting. Michael asks her "How much?" Pam is again caught off guard and asks "What do you mean?" She is still trying to process his positive comments while at the same time assess Michael's sincerity. He replies "I don't see a price." Pam answers "Um, you want to buy it?" She looks as confused as ever, but she does allow a smile to grace her face. She's really asking him, "You really like it?" She is again searching for validation due to the doubt she still harbors from a very difficult evening.

However, she is also starting to allow herself to feel good about herself and her work. Michael goes on to explain that he needs it for the office. He points out all the familiar aspects of the building including his office window and his car. She smiles again after Michael asks her if its her car depicted alongside his. However, she is still be careful about lulling herself into another letdown as she waits for Michael to say something horrible. She wants to believe so badly that he loves her picture, but she's just not sure. Michael stares the picture a little longer and then says "That is our building. And we sell paper." Pam is still a little confused at Michael's very emotional response to her painting, but she now understands that Michael is being genuine and that it's her work that is effecting him. Of course on a deeper level, it's also a reality check that this is where her life stands. She works in that building that sells paper.

Michael then spouts the most important words that Pam needed to hear more than anything, "I am really proud of you." It was sincere and it went right to Pam's heart. It was enough to send her to the verge of tears. She feels vindicated and a piece of her confidence went back into place. She was so grateful she gave Michael a hug and softly said "Thank you." It meant so much to her to have someone appreciate her efforts and be proud of her. She finally got the validation she's been searching for all day. Pam hangs onto Michael and closes her eyes as she just allows herself to release some of her pent up emotions of hurt, disappointment, and loneliness. Michael is oddly the first person she's really felt connected to in a long time. It's short lived in that Michael goes right back to being Michael when he offers her half the Chunky that's in his pocket. Nonetheless, Michael saved Pam tonight. Without him, Pam's gaping void would take even longer to heal. If only Pam realized her own bravery and accomplishment with showing her work in the first place.

Michael's simple act of kindness and acceptance was genuine in contrast to Roy's presence. Pam's reaction to Michael is indicative that she is more than aware that her boss provided more of a foundation than Roy. That should knock a big hole into Pam's illusion that Roy is her center. It appears that for once, Michael earned his coffee cup title "World's Best Boss."

The Bottom Line:

Pam may be difficult to watch, but her emotional motivations are understandable. She is dealing with emotions that are overwhelming her. She doesn't have the tools or experience to face these emotions head on. We have to let her fall and make mistakes despite the fact that it's infuriating to watch her be an emotional moron committing acts of sheer idiocy. Cut her some slack while she tries to find her way out of the chaos! Just remember, she is learning so much about herself as she makes her mistakes. It's all part of becoming FNB and reaching emotional honesty. Jim won't know what hit him when FNB makes her presence known!

- - -

The JAM pessimist is nipping at my heels, but the optimist still managed to put up a fight! If I may borrow a quote from Galaxy Quest, "Never give up. Never surrender."

JAM Optimist:

1) Pam is already starting to see through Roy

2) Pam got a piece of her confidence back

3) Rock bottom is approaching

4) Pam is mirroring Jim's behavior pattern (she's catching up to his level, too)

5) FNB is alive and kicking

JAM Pessimist:

1) Pam is back with Roy (and he's tethering her to Old Pam)

2) Old Pam is calling the shots

3) Pam is emotionally reliant on other people to make her happy

4) Pam's confidence is shattered

5) Pam is shutting herself off from Jim

6) Pam has gone back into denial


Questions to Ponder:

1) Why wasn't Pam's mom at her art show?

2) Do you think Pam was waiting for Jim? Why didn't she ask him to come? Is she hurt he didn't show up?

3) At this point, is Pam capable of transforming into FNB? Is she ready?

4) Is Pam using Roy?
End Notes:
Commonly Used Acronyms:
PD = Pam Dichotomy,
JP = Jim Paradox,
CN = Casino Night,
FNB = Fancy New Beesly,
QTP = Questions to Ponder



This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter 17: Cocktails by scrantonbranch
It was so refreshing to see Pam hold her head high and smile, as opposed to the downtrodden and defeated Pam of late. Apparently, Pam learned more than a couple life lessons from her art show! FNB was indeed taking notes when Oscar stated that honesty and courage were not among Pam's strong points. Pam's decision to develop these characteristics is undoubtedly derived from those comments.

One of Pam's major accomplishments is realizing exactly what she doesn't want. Pam had her light bulb moment that she has evolved past Roy. Furthermore, she realized her "old" life is not the future she wants for herself. This in turn, will shed light on exactly what Pam does want. Inevitably, Pam will have to face her feelings for Jim. Part of her already knows that Jim is what she wants. Denial is no longer an option. She has nothing left to hide behind as honesty has become her new motto. The real question is whether or not Pam will actually go after what she wants. Only FNB knows the answer to that question.

At first glance, it appears that Pam has transitioned completely into FNB, but upon closer scrutiny, it's clear that obstacles are still blocking her path. Pam made huge strides, there's no denying that, as she has overcome the biggest bump in the road. But, she still has a little more work to do. Pam made a monumental decision to be honest and more assertive. In the honesty department, Pam is being more honest with people around her, but she has yet to completely apply this honesty towards herself. This is crucial for FNB to be a permanent transformation. Luckily, being more honest on the outside will naturally lead to honesty on an internal level.

As for being more assertive, Pam tried it out on Roy, the camera, and the bartender. She is obviously enjoying the little "high" she gets from people listening to her and getting what she wants. However, Pam is still experimenting with the idea. She's still not totally aware of all the boundaries or the consequences (positive and negative) that are associated with being self assured. Both assertiveness and straightforward truthfulness (without hiding) are new to her and she's still learning. Thankfully, the strides she made this week greatly increased her confidence, but it's not impervious.

Another blow is still possible, but Pam is better equipped to handle it. It's highly doubtful she'll flounder into another tailspin. However, elements of Old Pam are still lingering despite the fact that they are fading. Once Pam enacts FNB as a pattern of behavior rather than a one time deal, the transformation will be complete.

Michael the Magic:

As Michael struts out in his straight jacket with chains, Pam is standing off to the side of Jim near her desk. Jim starts to tease Michael by asking, "If you can't get out, you don't want anyone to help you?" Pam glances at Jim and decides to take advantage of the situation. She plays along with Jim's tease by saying, "So we shouldn't help you, no matter how much you might beg and plead." Pam's participation in this little tease seems miniscule, but it's really a big step. Pam hasn't had any luck in relating to Jim since The Return. Both BF and PW were devastating and created a huge void between them. The fact that she's trying to include herself in Jim's comments to Michael, is a huge first indicator of the courage she is currently developing. At this point she's still caught up in the delusion that Roy is her man, but she's still harboring the need for Jim's attention.

Side Note: Her watercolor is indeed still hanging on the wall. This is most likely a huge source of confidence for Pam. It's a nice daily reminder that someone believes in her, even if that someone is Michael!

Roy at Pam's Desk:

Pam stretches her new assertive muscle with Roy as he hangs out at her desk. She mentions that everyone is heading to Poor Richard's for happy hour and invites him to come. However, Old Pam is not asking Roy to come, FNB is telling Roy he has to attend. Pam doesn't even phrase her invitation as a question. Instead she says, "You should come." She even stares him down and nods her head "yes" to signify "you are coming." Pam does not take kindly to Roy's obviously lame excuse that he can't come on account that he and Kenny are going to get hammered as result of some unloaded Jet-skis. In fact, she sees right through him and isn't afraid to call him on it immediately. She does however give him a chance to redeem himself by telling him, "Okay, we're going to a bar." It's her subtle way of telling him he can't circumvent her anymore. She is effectively cornering him in his own excuse.

Roy was obviously lying to Pam, but she didn't catch that aspect. Pam only believed that Roy was giving her an excuse, not a flat out lie to avoid of hanging out with her. This seems a little odd on Roy's part after all of his efforts to get her back. However, Roy has always been selfish. In this instance, he put his plans ahead of Pam. Pam can't see this as she is still grasping to the idea of Roy. She's too intent on believing he has changed. Hence, the reason she gives him an avenue to make amends and agree to come out with her.

Even though Pam is giving him a chance, she's still forceful enough to let him know she's not backing down. She even nods her head again as a non-verbal cue to let him know he needs to come with her. Roy's inability to come up with the "correct" answer quickly enough leads Pam to become even more assertive. She cocks her head and tells him, "Hey, you have to come to stuff with me. I'm serious. If you're gonna be my boyfriend, you have to do boyfriend things." This is Pam's way of telling Roy that things have to be different this time around. She wants him to live up to the standard she's created for him. This stems from his "performance" at her art show. She undoubtedly reflected on the reality that Roy left early and had nothing to offer but lame comments.

Pam has mostly decided she wasn't going to tolerate this from Roy any longer. Pam may have started to see through Roy that evening, yet she's not ready to give up the illusion. Even though Pam has convinced herself that she should be with Roy, she still wants and expects to see a changed man. She already knows the "old" relationship isn't good enough and she wants more. This drive for a new and improved Roy and relationship relates directly to Pam's reasoning for telling Roy about CN. Pam's strength in this segment is very uncharacteristic as she continues to stare him down, never once breaking eye contact. Despite Pam's unflinching eye contact, it is possible to detect a little bit of worry on Pam's face. She isn't sure if she's taken this too far, but she's not about to back down. Roy finally relents to Pam's delight.

Pam's reaction to her personal victory shows obvious pride, but it also indicates that this is the first time she's ever tried being assertive with Roy. On top of that, she got her way. Pam looks a little relieved as Roy starts to leave. She wasn't sure how this was all going to play out, as standing up for herself is a new thing. Needles to say, her confidence received a huge jolt. She lets a huge smile grace her face in celebration of her success. She is also directing it at Roy to let him know he's made her happy. However, the smile is more deeply rooted in Pam's personal pride. She got a little "high" from having this kind of leverage with Roy. In Pam/Roy 1.0, she didn't have an equal say in the relationship as Roy was very controlling. Pam decided she wasn't going to let that happen again, hence her goal of telling people what she wants directly as she later explains in her subsequent talking head. In a sense, Roy's sometimes boorish behavior is helping to construct Pam's new frame of reference for what she doesn't want in favor of what she does want. Thanks Roy!

This scene denotes Pam's transition status in that she's currently an odd combination of Old Pam and FNB. FNB is primarily in control, while Old Pam sits quietly in the back seat holding onto the idea of Roy, (if I may use my previous car analogy).

Talking Head:

Pam opens her talking head by saying, "I've decided I'm going to be more honest." Pam's eye contact with the camera never falters, which is a vast departure from her usual wandering eyes. Pam has probably never been more sure of herself. Obviously the comments that transpired between Oscar and Gil have stuck with Pam. Even though her new attitude is very FNB, Old Pam's insecurities triggered her resolve to be more honest. Pam has always cared what other people think of her. She doesn't want to be thought of as dishonest or as lacking courage.

In other words, FNB would not be possible without Old Pam! FNB is really a process of Pam accepting herself for who she is and making the best of her flaws. Despite the fact that Pam is declaring her decision to more honest, she is only halfway towards meeting her goal. Pam's talking head comes on the tail end of the last scene where Roy is at her desk. Pam's honesty only appears to be directed at other people and not necessarily herself. This concept extends all the way to the bar scene where Pam tells Roy about CN. Pam's lack of honesty with herself is a roadblock, but there is a silver lining in that external honesty will inevitably lead to internal honesty. Being honest with those around her is simply the first step that will lead to her internal truth.

Pam reinforces the notion that her new behavior is more external than internal with her statement, "I'm going to start telling people what I want, directly." Pam's art show debacle taught her more than just honesty. It taught her courage as well. Pam probably realized that she is partially to blame for the fact that no one from work came. Pam figured out that if she wanted people to come, she should have told them instead of downplaying the art show as "no big deal." Furthermore, as mentioned above, her resolve to be more assertive can be connected to Roy and her desire for a "new" relationship with him. Pam doesn't want to be run over anymore.

The end of Pam's talking head is where Old Pam decides to peek through momentarily. As Pam says, "Look out world, Old Pammy is gettin' what she wants." A pinch of insecurity and uncertainty shows up as her voice lightens a little and she breaks eye contact. It's undoubtedly present as a result of her trying something so new. Pam even refers to herself as Old Pammy, which gives an indicator that she is very consciously aware of her transition to FNB. The transition is becoming less dependent on circumstance and other people to incite progress. It's now totally up to Pam and she finds it a little daunting, but is no longer afraid. Pam wants to be FNB. This bodes very well for JAM! Prior to this she didn't know she wanted the transition, it was just happening. Pam's moment of insecurity is fleeting as FNB comes back swinging with "And don't call me Pammy." Her voice is more forceful and eye contact returns. Pam feels empowered in a way she's never experienced before and she likes how good it feels. It serves for further encouragement throughout her day.

Roy Arrives at Poor Richard's:

Pam is beyond thrilled when Roy arrives. She greets him happily with, "Hey, you made it," coupled with a huge smile. For Pam, Roy has given the impression that he has changed. Plus, he's living up to her raised standards by putting her first. Pam feels like she "won," and is riding her power trip. Roy responds with "Yeah, you said it was important." Pam reinforces her stance with "It is," to let Roy know she is not going to back down or let him off the hook. This is also her way to protecting her new vision of her relationship with Roy. She wants to believe he really has changed and he just scored a point with her.

She is so impressed that she fails to notice Roy's odd behavior when she mentions the Jet-skis to Kenny. It's an obvious indicator of Roy's earlier lie, but Roy manages to divert her attention by offering to buy a round of drinks. The fact that Pam didn't take much notice of Roy's behavior indicates again the FNB isn't in total control, despite being at the steering wheel. Traditionally, Old Pam was beyond forgiving of Roy's past behaviors and it appears she's at it again even if on a subconscious level. Old Pam is whispering in FNB's ear as she drives.

With the Bartender:

Pam's interaction with the bartender is another indicator that the transformation to FNB is not complete. Pam picks up two bottles of beer and realizes that the order was not filled correctly. She says "oh" acknowledging the mistake and starts to turn around to walk away. For that moment, she relapses to her Old Pam tendency of avoiding confrontation (no matter how small). However, FNB pushes Old Pam aside as Pam makes the very conscious decision to overcome her fear and assert herself. Her face literally reads, "I'm going to do this." She is making herself do it as it's not a natural behavior for her.

This kind of effort speaks volumes of Pam's resolve and conscious awareness of her desire to be FNB. She makes direct contact with the bar tender and tells him "No, actually one of these is supposed to be Lite." There isn't a trace of hesitancy or timidity in her voice. Not only is she displaying a huge amount of courage (for Pam this is a lot of courage!), but she is also sticking her aims of telling people what she wants and being honest. The bartender may appear to be small apples in grand scheme of things, but Pam needs to start somewhere. The bartender apologized and righted her order essentially giving Pam a personal victory. She knows she broke her own mold.

She shoots the camera a face dripping with pride and accomplishment. Pam wants to share her victory with someone, but no one aside from the camera will understand why this is such a big deal. Furthermore, she's letting the camera know she really meant what she said in her talking head, "See, I told you so." On another level, she's basking in the fact that she overcame her fears. Her confidence in this scene went off the charts. She's going to need it in her later confrontation with Roy.

1-2-3 Up Jenkins:

In a spirited game of 1-2-3 Up Jenkins, Pam ends up with the quarter. She is most likely thrilled to see Roy interacting and having a good time with her and their co-workers. For her, it's a perfect evening. Eventually, Roy is able to isolate the quarter between her and Stanley. Pam doesn't let him hang for too long as she sends him a facial cue that she has the quarter. Pam literally told Roy she had it without saying a word. She's letting him win to stoke his ego. Pam knows Roy is very competitive, (Basketball) and she wants to keep him happy during this outing. This is a little bit of Old Pam coming through again. She knows she made him come and she's a little insecure about it. She's worried it'll come back and bite her if he has a miserable time. Pam needs Roy to be happy to maintain the illusion.

As Roy celebrates his victory, Pam says, "Nice job." Her tone in this statement confirms her motives. There's a tinge of sarcasm flowing through her words, "Gee, it's not like I told you where it was or anything." Roy continues to ride his high horse and tells Pam, "I can read you like a book." Pam continues with her subtle sarcasm by responding with "oh, yeah." She's very aware her facial cue was obvious and that Roy would have to be blind in order to miss it. She's even a little amused by the fact that Roy didn't catch on to her blatant clue. Unfortunately, Pam doesn't realize that Roy is essentially implying that he knows her better than anyone, when that simply isn't the case. She's refusing to see this aspect, as it will indelibly lead her to the conclusion that the only person who holds that distinction is Jim.

Old Pam is masking that truth in order to maintain the idea of a "new" relationship with Roy. This is just another self defense mechanism to protect herself from dealing with her feelings for Jim. She's had nothing but difficulty and pain with those feelings lately. This is yet another indicator that her new honesty has yet to apply internally. Roy utterly shatters her defenses when he says, "You can't hide anything from me." Pam feels her vulnerability return as her mind immediately shifts to Jim and CN. It's written all over her face. Roy's statement triggered not only Pam's feelings for Jim, but also guilt. It's the same guilt that kept her from jumping into Jim's arms that evening.

Pam's guilt extends beyond simply having feelings for Jim. She now has the added guilt of keeping the events of CN from Roy. Just as her guilt activated her moral center in CN, it's working its mojo once again in this instance. In CN Pam rejected Jim on account of her moral center's sense of obligation to Roy. Pam is feeling that same sense of obligation as she sits in Poor Richard's. In turn, her new motto of honesty is also kicking into high gear. If anything her resolve to be more honest has goaded her moral center into action more so than ever before.

She now feels like she must tell Roy about Jim. Pam takes Roy's statement as both the tease he intended, but also literally. She looks at him briefly and then turns inward towards herself contemplating the fact that she's hiding a whole world from him. Pam's moral center is screaming at her to spill the truth. In effect, Old Pam's drive to have a new relationship with Roy coupled with her guilt (moral center) and new honesty provide the foundation for Pam's decision to tell Roy about CN.

Pam Tells Roy:

Pam knows she's getting ready to tell Roy something really big, so she carefully sets up a positive atmosphere. Pam knows Roy might react badly, so she's trying to make the situation a little bit lighter. She starts by looking at Roy affectionately and with a smile. It works as he smiles right back at her and asks her, "What?" Pam responds with "I want us to make it," wearing the same expression. She's trying to maintain the atmosphere, but she's also attempting to bolster Roy's confidence about their relationship. Pam is hoping this will prevent a poor reaction from Roy. This hope can be attributed to Old Pam's wishful thinking that Roy will understand and really has changed.

Pam thinks she is being honest with Roy and herself, when in reality FNB has duct tape across her mouth as Old Pam takes over. She continues with, "I want a fresh start." Pam is telling Roy what she wants, in a more direct way. It's still laden in innuendo, but she's getting better! The fresh start refers to her want of a relationship that's different from the past. (Pam has yet to figure out that she can't do this with Roy.) Her statement is also telling Roy that she expects him to be "fresh" as well, meaning that she really wants a changed Roy. Roy's enthusiastic response is just what Pam is hoping for. It's here where Pam truly wants to believe Roy has changed, and this gives her the confidence to tell Roy the truth about Jim.

She jumps in headfirst with a line she's probably rehearsed in her head a few times, "Okay, but in order for us to make it, there can't be any secrets between us." She breaks eye contact just before she starts, probably to pull herself together. She knows there's no turning back once she starts. The second part of her statement is full of confidence. She put a little too much force in her words as Roy took them as being a little accusatory. Pam is still learning how to voice her assertiveness with the proper tone! The confidence in her words was directed more towards herself, but Roy misread it. Pam is trying to hide her guilt, not only from herself but also from Roy. Her impending honesty is an odd mixture of Old Pam and FNB. It's very FNB of her to go out on a limb and admit something so personal and enter into a potentially scary situation, not to mention the implementation of high stakes honesty.

However, her honesty stems from Old Pam's insecurities, guilt (old and new), and her innate need to maintain the idea of Roy and a new relationship. Pam redirects Roy with, "Just listen." Pam is basically telling him this is about her, not about him. This is also her way of establishing a boundary and control. She is contradicting her earlier lighter atmosphere as a result of the butterflies in her stomach. She's about talk about CN for the first time and she some semblance of order and a safety net. She really does need Roy to listen to her "thoughts and feelings" and provide a foundation (she needs him to listen to her like Jim did in the past, but she'll never admit that to herself).

Pam breaks eye contact once again as she channels the confidence she built up throughout the day. Just before she speaks she locks eyes with Roy, a very FNB behavior. However she is very nervous as reflected in her knotted forehead and brow. Pam really wants Roy to respond in a positive way, even though she knows deep down he might react negatively. She jumps right in, "Remember that casino night about a month before we were supposed to get married? I kissed Jim." Pam's matter of fact tone has a couple of different implications. Old Pam is trying to convince herself that she's over Jim. By keeping her admission relatively emotionless, she's feeding into the delusion that it's all in the past and she's over it. It's another mask to hide her true feelings from Roy and herself in the name of self preservation. In a sense, she's almost back at square one.

However, her honesty has managed to punch a hole in her preservation mode. She distinctly said, "I kissed Jim." In reality, Jim kissed her first and then she reciprocated. Part of her is protecting Jim from a potential blame and danger. In Casino Night, Pam blamed herself for Jim "misinterpreting" their friendship as a way to protect herself from dealing with her emotions, as well as protecting Jim by lessening the blow of her rejection. By pinning the blame on herself for the kiss, she is essentially doing the same thing she did in CN. But this has more to do with her than it does with Jim. This is the first time she's owned up to her part in CN. She wanted to kiss Jim and this glimmer of internal honesty came out with the word "I." It's such a small word, but it has a massive internal impact. The last time Pam even remotely admitted she wanted to kiss Jim was that night, (but we didn't know until GWH), but even then she tried to wiggle out of that honesty with "Maybe we're drunk." Her current situation doesn't have a back door and she has no choice but to deal with her honesty head on.

Roy's agitated reaction catches Pam off guard. Her need for him to change created the false sense of security that he would react in a more understanding way that she envisioned for Roy 2.0. She's flustered and her confidence begins to falter, allowing her real emotions to partially surface. Pam thinks she can smooth things over if she explains everything a little bit further. She can't even look at Roy as she starts to talk about it, "He told me how he felt and I guess I had feelings, too. . . and we kissed." Pam's face is aching with her real emotions and the pain she carries as a result those emotions, which is why she can't make eye contact. She feels vulnerable and transparent. This is the first time Pam has admitted her feelings for Jim to anyone including herself. She's never allowed herself to deal with those emotions with any level of honestly.

The concept of external honesty leading to internal honesty is perfectly exemplified in this segment. Her honesty is existing on all levels and it's scaring her a little bit. There an internal struggle between FNB pulling towards honest feelings for Jim and Old Pam tugging towards Roy, creating a small sense of panic. She doesn't want to deal with these emotions right now. This mirrors Jim's contorted body as he struggles with head vs. heart. Her honesty has turned inward, with Roy becoming secondary. Pam's is trying to sort through the information that just escaped from her subconscious.

The other key aspect of Pam's phrase again comes at the very end where she says "we kissed." She has shifted from "I" to "we." There is much more emotion packed into this readmission as opposed to "I kissed Jim." Pam can't hold it back. Pam's subconscious is reaching towards Jim. The word "we" is bringing Jim into the situation. She's stuck and a little scared and she can't help but need him. FNB is desperately working to get the duct tape off of her mouth to scream that Pam wants Jim and the honesty of CN.

Roy distracts Pam from her internal honesty by responding with anger, "Jim came onto you!?" Pam's tries to regain control and salvage the situation by once again saying, "Just listen." But it lacks the strength of the first and is painted with desperation. Old Pam sees the illusion of new Roy slipping away along with her safety net. Part of her knew Roy would react this way, but she kept hoping he would be different. Pam's intention was to continue by explaining that it was all in the past and nothing else happened. She intended to sell Roy the same delusion she sold herself of not having feelings for Jim. Pam was getting ready to lie to Roy and herself.

However, Roy never gave her the chance. He continues by yelling at her, "No, I am listening. That's the problem I'm listening!" Pam is looking at Roy in disbelief. Pam is starting to see Roy hasn't changed, but she still tries to save her image of him by telling him "Don't yell." She is once again telling him instead of asking, but she uses a lower tone as an attempt to get Roy to quiet down and prevent the situation from escalating. Pam is also little embarrassed by Roy's behavior in a public place in front of their co-workers. She needs him to calm down.

This isn't so much about Pam being afraid of Roy as it is about bringing back Roy 2.0. She's letting him know she won't tolerate this kind of behavior from him, much the same way she did at her desk earlier in the day. The problem she doesn't have the same strength she had at her desk. "Don't yell" sounded more like a plea rather than an assertive request. Once again her brow is knotted but this more of reaction to her near shattered perception that Roy has changed. FNB is struggling to make Old Pam see the truth by forcing her eyelids open!

Pam's attempt to defuse the situation fails miserably. Roy's temper has hit a boiling point, no doubt with the help of a couple of beers. He yells right back at her even more agitated than before. In his next act of aggression Roy throws his beer bottle at a mirror. Pam literally jumps back and out of her skin. Her illusion of new Roy and a new relationship shattered with the mirror. Roy scared Pam with his actions, which brings her to a whole new level of honesty. All Pam sees is the reality of Old Roy. This was her light bulb moment a.k.a rock bottom. Everything she was hoping for literally crashed to the floor.

Pam realizes why she went back to Roy and now knows it was a mistake. She is coming to terms that she has evolved past this relationship and there's no chance of a "new" relationship with Roy. As she gets up she stops and thinks for a split second with an expression that strongly resembles the one she wore just before deciding to confront the bartender. Despite Roy's tantrum, Old Pam is hesitant to let go, she still wants the security blanket that Roy can offer. She momentarily thinks about whether or not she should end it. If she ends the relationship, she is truly on her own. Jim is not around to be her safety net. Pam is facing the unknown, which is a huge fear of hers. FNB and Old Pam are in direct conflict at this point. Old Pam wants safety and familiarity, while FNB wants honesty and courage.

Ultimately, FNB wins the battle as Pam decides "This is over." Pam's new concepts of assertiveness and honesty brought her to a new level. She didn't get a "high" off of it, but she did get a reality check and a sense empowerment by taking control of her life. In a way, Pam told herself what she wanted . . . directly. She knows she wants a relationship that really is different from the past. Pam is done living in an illusion. She'd rather be alone in the unknown than be with a man who isn't right for her. This kind of internal honesty is eventually going to cause Pam to further explore and accept her feelings for Jim. Even better, her continued development of honesty and courage will eventually give her the confidence to act on those feelings. At some point, she'll be able to tell herself directly that she wants Jim.

Pam walks away from Roy and leaves the bar looking more self assured and confident than we've ever seen her. Pam knows she did the right thing. However, Pam is still hurting. She learned a tough lesson by returning to Roy and it's going to take her some time to heal. She's going to be kicking herself for making such a mistake, but hopefully she will emerge from this even stronger.

The Bottom Line:

FNB is back in the driver's seat after stuffing Old Pam in the trunk. Plus, she washed the windshield to see things clearer.

- - -

JAM Optimist:

1) Pam wants to be more honest (external honesty will lead to internal honesty)

2) Pam is working on being more assertive (confidence builder)

3) Pam is getting closer to becoming FNB

4) Pam dumped Roy

5) Pam admitted she had feelings for Jim

JAM Pessimist:

1) Elements of Old Pam are still lingering

2) Pam isn't ready to be with Jim

3) Pam's confidence is fragile

Questions to Ponder:

1) Is Pam done with Roy for good?

2) Should Pam tell Jim she dumped Roy?

3) Should Pam warn Jim about Roy?

4) Did Pam make a mistake in telling Roy about Casino Night? (Should she have told him?)

5) How far off is Pam from her final transformation into FNB? What else does she need to do?

6) How will Pam's newfound honesty and assertiveness translate to Jim? Will she try it out on him the same way she did with Roy, the bartender, and the camera?
End Notes:
Commonly Used Acronyms:
PD = Pam Dichotomy,
JP = Jim Paradox,
CN = Casino Night,
FNB = Fancy New Beesly,
QTP = Questions to Ponder



This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter 18: Traveling Salesmen Newpeat by scrantonbranch
During the initial airing of Traveling Salesmen, Pam was practically invisible with minimal scenes. However, in the extended scenes of the newpeat, she came alive with a rare sense of excitement and even touches of emotional honesty. It's apparent the Pam's journey towards emotional honesty has been going on continuously since BFV instead of in spurts. Obviously, the emotional rawness of BFV is still effecting Pam. This episode comes fresh off the heels of Pam's infamous crying scene, where she realizes just how important Jim is to her. The same reality hits her again when she wins her art contest. As excited as Pam was about her accomplishment, winning the contest became secondary to her need for a positive reaction from Jim.

Pam once again mirrors Jim's past behavior as she searches for validation in regards to her win in an art contest. While in Stamford, Jim searched for validation on a myriad of levels to attain a sense of belonging and confidence in his choice to transfer to Stamford. Pam's search for validation follows the same lines in that she searching for acceptance of her artistic abilities and reassurance that she's doing the right thing in following her dream. Pam needs Jim's validation. He has always been her biggest supporter in her artistic endeavors. In effect, he has always been her cheerleader. Despite the void that exists between them, she still needs him cheering her on from sidelines. Aside from being a confidence builder, Jim's validation also helps to forge a connection that is hanging on by a thread. His acceptance creates a sense of hope and a return to the "old days" that Pam is desperate to resurrect despite the impossibility of that desire.

The advent of the newpeat has created a unique situation where analysis is retroactive. The story has continued and emotional development along with it. Connecting the dots is no longer just about looking to episodes that aired before Traveling Salesmen. Instead, the behavior pattern connects to subsequent episodes. Pam's actions in The Return, Ben Franklin, and Business School now take on a new dimension as her new experiences in Traveling Salesmen shed light on her eager attitude towards Jim, "flirting," and her art show debacle. Amazingly, four small new scenes provided the missing link to Pam's behavior pattern.

Pam Wins an Art Contest:

Pam answers the phone with her usual drab face and vocal tone, "Dunder Mifflin, this is Pam." However, like a light switch her demeanor changes to one of sunshine and glee. A huge smile graces her face and her eyes begin to sparkle. Her cheeks even flush a little bit in response to her excitement. Pam later tells the camera in a talking head that she has won an art contest. Her excitement on the phone takes on new meaning as art is obviously her passion.

Pam starts her talking head much the same way she initially answered the phone. She says, "I did a watercolor of Frances Willard Elementary School for a contest they were having," very matter of fact and with little emotion until the end. A smile tries to sneak out, but she holds it back. She continues with "They were calling with the results," where her excitement is trying even harder to escape her restraint. Pam rarely lets out her emotions openly to the camera and she is trying to maintain that behavior pattern. In this instance, Pam is trying to be mature and dignified, but fails horribly as her excitement takes over, (which is beyond adorable!). She says "And I won." This is probably the first time she said it loud and it felt great. She nods feverishly and smiles brightly. Saying it out loud, made it more of a reality released all the excitement she tried to hold back. She can't help herself and repeats "I won!" exuding enthusiasm and pride.

Pam rides the feel good tide a little bit longer by reiterating again, "My painting won." The repetitive nature of Pam's news is an indicator that this may be the first time Pam has ever accomplished anything like this with her art. It is a big deal to her. Pam furthers this notion by going on to thank her mother for all of her encouragement and her father for buying her first set of art pencils. Of course, Pam doesn't forget to thank the 6th grade class that selected her artwork. For Pam, it's like she won an Oscar instead of a simple elementary school contest.

The thank you "speech" overlaps a beaming Pam at her computer as she pulls up an image of her watercolor on the internet, (the website descriptor on the screen indicates it's a watercolor, so it can be assumed it's hers). She loves showing the camera her work. Pam is proud of her herself and wants to show off a little bit. The camera gave her an opportunity to toot her horn without fearing judgment. Furthermore, the cameraman apparently showed an interest by focusing on Pam's artwork on the computer. Her reaction to the camera looked like she was asked to pull it up on the screen. She was more than happy to oblige and loved the attention. The wide smile on her face leaves no room for doubt that her confidence is through the roof as is her excitement and sense of accomplishment.

On another note, Pam was in rare form in front of the camera. This is the most emotionally forthright she's been since breaking down and crying during her talking head in Boys & Girls. However, it isn't sadness that overwhelms her, it's happiness, (which is quite refreshing). She just can't bottle it up. This small spurt of emotional honesty directly relates to her crying scene in Back From Vacation. She had a small epiphany of emotional honesty and it appears to be translating to all aspects of her life. Despite the roadblocks in Ben Franklin, Phyllis's Wedding, Business School, this emotional honesty is still within Pam. She just recently began exploring it again in Cocktails.

Telling Kevin:

Pam walks up to Kevin fresh off her confidence high, but loses a little bit of her nerve after "Hey, Kev." She breaks eye contact and takes a little breath before saying, "Guess what?" This is a combination of nerves from not knowing how to start and being a little uncomfortable. Pam has never really gone up to Kevin to start a conversation. Nonetheless, Pam is excited about her win and she wants to tell someone other than the camera. Pam's likely first impulse was to tell Jim or Phyllis (she was very supportive of Pam's art in Boys and Girls). The absence of the entire sales staff left Pam with very few options. Kevin was probably chosen because he was at the copy machine. She simply took advantage of his close proximity, rather than going to seek him out.

Pam proceeds to tell Kevin, " I won an art contest today." Pam's tone is noticeably different than her talking head. Despite her confidence, Pam is a little intimidated. As a result, her enthusiasm is scaled down. Pam isn't sure how Kevin is going to react considering she does know him very well. On top of that, Kevin is the first person she's told face to face, which opens her up to possible judgment. It's very FNB of Pam to take a chance like this into the unknown, but then again so is entering an art contest.

Kevin's response is less than enthusiastic. Instead of congratulating her, he asks in his usual monotone voice, "How much did you win?" Pam answers "a hundred dollars," still hoping Kevin will respond with more enthusiasm. She smiles while scrunching her shoulders and head together in hopeful anticipation that Kevin will offer some sort of congratulations. Unfortunately, Kevin does not live up to Pam's expectations as he downplays her victory by mentioning he won $400 on the Celtics game. Pam is noticeably disappointed but, but she plays along and warmly congratulates Kevin with a forced smile and a pair of still hopeful eyes. Kevin thanks her, but offers nothing else.

Pam doesn't say anything more, but waits for a return on her sentiment. She searches Kevin's face for any sign of acknowledgement for her accomplishment. She continues to stare him down to the point of wearing out her welcome. She is trying to prod a response out him with a non-verbal cue, "Hey, I congratulated you, now it's your turn to congratulate me." For Pam, this should be a fair trade off. However, underneath it all Pam is pleading with Kevin to be excited for her.

After what seems like an eternity, Pam grimaces a little when she starts to realize Kevin isn't going to give her the response she wants to hear, yet she still holds out with a trace of hope. Kevin simply says, "So sweet," in reference again to his own victory. This dashes Pam's hopes and she finally gives up. This is doubly devastating to Pam in that she lost on her gamble into the unknown and her accomplishment felt outweighed by Kevin's $400. Pam takes on a grin it and bare it mentality and pairs it with a matching face as she turns to walk back to her desk. She sits in her chair deflated and disappointed. Pam saw this scenario playing out differently in her head.

Pam needed Kevin to have a reaction similar to her excitement, in order verify her own sense of pride. When he didn't, it left her questioning herself. Deep down Pam knows that the contest is small apples, but she needs it to be big apples. It's bothersome and hurtful to her that Kevin doesn't "get" her or the importance of her artwork.

Telling Angela:

Pam doesn't let the Kevin debacle get her down for very long. Pam is still searching for validation and selects Angela as the next person to hear about the contest. Angela shared her "happy" news at the coffee shop so Pam feels like Angela would be more receptive to her own good news. After Kevin's less that stellar response, Pam is looking for someone that is can offer her a more pleasing response. Angela normally has a tough exterior, but Pam saw a soft spot earlier and is banking on that to play in her favor.

Encouraged by their earlier coffee bonding session, Pam calls out to her over the partition that divides their workspace. Pam tells her, "I got good news today, too. I won an art contest." Pam's tone this time around is much more confident than it was with Kevin. The soft spot aspect is definitely providing some comfort to Pam and therefore she has a little more courage. Angela actually responds kindly and with a smile, (who would've thought Angela could smile so wide!). She genuinely says, "That's great, Pam." Pam nods in acknowledgement. Angela's reaction is a little more encouraging, but Pam still wants more. S

he wants her excitement level to be matched or surpassed or her sense of accomplishment diminishes. A similar pattern occurred in Boys and Girls when Pam told Jim about the possibility of a graphic design internship. Pam was excited, but didn't let it take over her hope. Jan first planted the seed that Pam is capable of doing an internship, but Pam needed more than that. When Pam tells Jim, he was thrilled for her and it validated her dreams. Jim has the all-important ability to help Pam believe in herself. In contrast, Roy's lack of encouragement caused her bubble to burst and her confidence level sunk. Essentially, Pam is trying to get a "Jim" response out of Angela (and earlier from Kevin). She wants that same feeling of validation that Jim previously gave her on a regular basis. Pam needs a cheerleader. This is especially true at this stage of her emotional development and transformation into FNB. She is still pretty fragile at this point and needs encouragement.

Angela changes the subject without giving Pam any further validation. She tells Pam, "I like having these little moments with you." Pam accepts the compliment with a friendly face, but she is more disappointed that Angela will not be doling out any further congratulations or enthusiasm. Pam is once again faced with someone who just doesn't "get" her. The divide grows as Pam refuses Angela's gift of a kitten. The soft spot Pam saw earlier has reverted back to a harsh and unforgiving disposition. This leaves Pam somewhat alienated and isolated. Therefore she is still on the prowl for validation. This is the second time she's struck out. Kevin one-upped her accomplishment with his own and now Angela turned back into the ice queen.

On the up side, Angela's response helped Pam regain some of her confidence. Angela provided a solid congratulations that was genuine and even a tad enthused. This response is key in refueling Pam with the courage she needs to tell Jim. Not only that, Angela's tinge of validation was like a small drop of water to a very thirsty Pam. She is still searching for the well.

Telling Jim:

On his way out for coffee with Karen, Jim heads to the coat rack to drop off his messenger bag (my favorite Jim accessory besides that glowing smile), and grab his coat. In a very friendly manner he asks, "Beesly, coffee?" Pam responds in kind, "No thanks. I had some already." However, her words are hurried. Pam is anxious to tell Jim about her art contest. He's been out of the office all day and she just can't wait any longer. She wants to get past the coffee talk (Oooo! SNL flashback), and change the topic to her artwork. Jim turns to walk away with Karen, when Pam calls out to him, "But hey, Jim . . . " to redirect his attention towards her.

This moment is pivotal in that this is very FNB of Pam to call out to him when his attention is no longer focused on her. Old Pam would've waited for another time. FNB decides to take advantage of Jim's slight attention from a moment ago and remold it to her benefit. Her previous "failures" with Kevin and Angela have made her even more hungry for validation, which creates a surge of confidence and bravery. Pam's need for Jim's support even neutralizes the intimidation factor of Karen being present. Pam needs Jim right now and in her mind Karen has to be nonexistent in order to have Jim to herself for this moment.

Jim immediately responds and turns back around to face her. Pam smiles brighter than she did with Kevin or Angela as she tells Jim, "I won an art contest today." This is the third time she's used the same line, but this time Pam's voice is warmer as it exudes a sense of accomplishment. The tone of her statement signals she is doing more than just telling Jim about her contest. She is sharing it with him. With Kevin and Angela she was simply telling them about the contest. With Jim, she wants him to be part of it. As a result, Pam is much more confident than she was in her previous attempts, with the exception of her talking head. Even with heightened confidence, Pam is still nervous. Her hands are fidgeting slightly under the cover of her desk. Pam thinks Jim will "get" her and her achievement, but she's still unsure of how he will react.

Part of her fears the distance between them will score her another lackluster response, while the rest of her is expecting Jim to be the warmhearted and enthusiastic man she needs and loves. Pam's nerves are more than understandable, (she deserves a round of applause for not letting them get the best of her). She stands an equal chance of being crushed or validated. Jim's opinion is the one that matters that most to her, so a lot is riding on his response to her news. As a result, her voice also carries a small undertone that is pleading with him to be happy for her.

Jim comes through in a big way as his face becomes wildly animated with zeal in response to Pam's news. He exclaims "No way!" with a huge smile that shows he is genuinely happy for her. Finally, someone has matched her level of enthusiasm! Off camera, Pam responds with a drawn out, "yeah." It's hard to hear underneath Jim's jubilant "No way," but its significance cannot go unnoticed. She says it just as Jim's face lights up. She is relieved to know Jim "gets" it and how important this win is to her. Pam finally has the validation she's been searching for all day. It's a huge release for her which allows her to once again celebrate. Jim continues with "Alright Pam! Congratulations!" Pam is ecstatic with Jim's response and it shows when she wears a huge smile as Jim comes up to her and gives her one of his patented high fives.

This is more than just a congratulatory action for Pam. The high five is reminiscent of the "old days" that Pam is desperate to recapture. Jim gave Pam a high five in Office Olympics for her origami doves. Later, in Halloween Jim and Pam did an "air" high five after pulling a prank on Dwight. Jim's high five reminds her of the days when the void between them did not exist and she had him all to herself.

Pam lets out a small thanks, but it is still jovial and again full of relief. As if Jim's reaction wasn't enough, he takes it step further by asking Pam for more information. His curiosity is equally as important to Pam as his enthusiasm. Neither Kevin nor Angela asked Pam about her art or the contest. His curiosity adds to Pam's excitement and builds her up immensely. Jim's question also prompts the possibility that they've been talking about Pam's art endeavors. He asks, "Which one was it?" as if he knew about some of her current work and genuinely wanted to know what painting she was talking about. This episode does follow BFV where they had a very personal conversation about Jim's relationship with Karen.

The lines of communication may have been opened a little more than previously thought. Pam responds to Jim's question all too happily "I sent in one of my watercolors." She is once again confident and smiles throughout her answer. Jim's enthusiasm makes her proud of her work beyond an internal level, which causes her to talk about it in a much more confident and open manner. Jim continues his enthused interest by saying "Cool." Even thought the tone seems much more serious, it still conveys Jim's interest and focus on Pam. Pam is not lost on this and continues to keep his attention by telling him "It was a new one I did." Pam is again radiating with confidence in response to Jim's curiosity and interest. Jim again answers back with genuine appreciation of Pam's efforts with, "Oh, nice." He even looks like he wants to hear more, which undoubtedly means the world to Pam.

Pam's bubble bursts when Karen interrupts to ask, "You ready, Jim?" Pam expression resembles a number of emotions. On the surface, Pam doesn't want her time with Jim to end. Internally, Pam is thinking, "Please don't take him away from me, yet." Their brief exchange gave Pam a taste of the old days and she doesn't want to let it go so soon. Not only that, Jim is feeding Pam's innate need for validation. Everything she needed all day long is standing right in front of her. However, Karen's interjection is a reality check that Jim is not alone and she doesn't have him to herself. This creates a touch of jealousy that is hardly detectable, but nonetheless is present in Pam's face. She feels like Karen in invading her territory. The reality of the situation forces Pam to back down and accept the circumstances as they stand. Jim is with someone else and she can't keep him with her.

Pam is saddened that Jim has to go, but she gets another dose of validation as he heads out. Jim's combination of enthusiasm and curiosity brings her right back up again as he asks, "Can I see it when I get back?" Pam's smile returns as she says, "Yeah." She doesn't elaborate any further, because she knows she's lost his attention to Karen at this point. She is a little more closed off, but she knows she can't encourage any further conversation. She already stole his attention once before and knows she can't do it again.

Jim offers another congratulations and tacks on two words that Pam needed to hear, "Big deal." Jim is acknowledging what Pam felt since hearing the results of the contest. Jim treated like it was the Oscars and not just an insignificant contest. Having someone understand this is bigger than winning. The fact that he turned around once again to face her with a smile before leaving left a lasting impact on Pam as well. Jim obviously wanted to continue talking to her about it, but couldn't because of Karen's insistence to go for coffee. Pam is comforted and elated that Jim's interest was focused on her and he didn't want to leave. The Karen issue that divided them before disappeared for another brief moment.

The camera pans back to Pam as she sits at her desk overflowing with validation. On another level, she is wearing her feelings for Jim out on her sleeve. She is trying to hold back a big smile but is failing miserably. She glances quickly at the camera a little embarrassed. She knows the camera caught her "liking" Jim. However, it's not enough embarrassment to minimize how good she feels. She glances at the camera a second time for the same reasons, but this time a smile sneaks out as she looks back to her desk. She couples her wide smile with a giddy shoulder shrug that indicates just how happy she is on this inside. Pam not only got the validation she needed, but she also got a few moments of being closer to Jim. Now that's something to smile about!

Connecting the Dots:

This is just a quick look at how the extended scenes in Traveling Salesmen connect to Pam's behavior pattern in a few subsequent episodes.

The Return:

Pam's "look" in Jim's direction when Andy is annoying him with his ring tone, now has more meaning. Pam is including herself in his world and feeling his "pain." Pam feels a stronger connection to him.

The synergy and closeness of Jim and Pam during and after the prank makes more sense as well. It flowed well enough from BFV, but the added scene of Jim's reaction to Pam's art contest creates a deeper understanding of their interaction. There is a stronger connection that isn't so much being rebuilt as it is being strengthened.
In an interesting parallel, Jim "got" Pam in Traveling Salesmen the same way Pam "got" Jim in The Return. Both even mirror each other by going to two people before finally finding validation in each other. Jim searched for acceptance in both Karen and Ryan, while Pam went to Kevin and Angela for the same purpose.

Ben Franklin:

Pam's odd behavior in Ben Franklin takes on a new dimension when correlated to the extended scenes in Traveling Salesmen. Pam's interaction with Jim in TS, gives Pam a sense of hope and a certain degree of emotional honesty. After the events of TS and TR, Pam thought she had something going with Jim. She felt as if there was little momentum and she wants to take it for a spin. The return of Jim's cold shoulder caught her by surprise and therefore created a sense of urgency to regain the momentum. Hence, her disastrous flirting spree. Instead of revitalizing the connection, Pam slams head first into Jim's wall and becomes really confused. This confusion partially contributes to Pam's fateful decision to rekindle her relationship with Roy in PW.

Business School:

In the original analysis for Business School, it was assumed that Pam's art show was her first real venture into displaying her artwork. However, this is no longer the case. As a result, Pam's heightened emotions for her art show resonate a little deeper. After finding some success with an art contest, Pam is under more pressure to succeed at her art show. This creates a stronger need for validation from her co-workers. They didn't acknowledge her art contest with the enthusiasm she wanted, so she's on a mission to get it this time around. This explains why she went to several co-workers on an individual basis to inform them about her art show and pass out flyers. She was much more proactive in soliciting support. Her reasons for avoiding Jim remain the same as in the original analysis. Nothing in the extended scenes indicates that Pam expected Jim to be there. The disasters in BF and PW killed any hope that Jim would provide his support. The awkwardness that ensued following those two episodes also prevented Pam from inviting Jim.

Despite Jim's absence from the art show, his presence can now be felt, thanks to the extended scenes in TS. Jim's reaction to Pam's art contest directly contrasts Roy's disposition at her art show. Roy didn't provide enthusiasm, curiosity, or very much validation. In the original analysis for this episode, it was stated that Pam began to see through Roy. Pam's ability to see through Roy so quickly can be attributed to her experience with Jim in TS. She saw how someone who really cares would react in comparison to someone who doesn't care.

Pam's emotional state during and after her art show makes a little more sense as she is severely let down with this failure, more so than originally thought. This failure comes soon after her art contest victory and therefore hurts a little more. She had higher hopes for this show as a result of her win. Unfortunately, she was crushed. This increased let down helps to explain Pam's gratitude and connection with Michael at the conclusion of her art show.

One more tiny thing . . .
Pam seems to be very good at drawing and painting buildings. Her doodle of the office park in Boys & Girls was shown just before Jan gave the internship pamphlet. Her watercolor of the office park hangs in the office courtesy of Michael. And finally, her painting of the elementary school won the art contest. I couldn't help but notice!

- - -

No Optimist/Pessimist Observations
See original Traveling Salesmen analysis.

Questions to Ponder:

1) Why did Pam first tell the most emotionless people in the office about her art contest? Why didn't she tell Kelly?

2) If Jim were in the office, would Pam have told him first about her win, rather than Kevin or Angela?

3) Would Pam still have seen through Roy as quickly as she did in Business School without Jim's validation in Traveling Salesmen?

4) Did Pam get to show Jim her art work when he got back from having coffee with Karen?

5) Is Pam's need for Jim's validation detrimental or necessary for her transformation into FNB?
End Notes:
Commonly Used Acronyms:
PD = Pam Dichotomy,
JP = Jim Paradox,
CN = Casino Night,
FNB = Fancy New Beesly,
QTP = Questions to Ponder



This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter 19: The Negotiation by scrantonbranch
To the joy of JAM fans everywhere, Roy's violent outburst in Cocktails did not send Pam back into her corner of self-denial. Rather, it strengthened her resolve of honesty and self-assertiveness. Pam has found the strength to say goodbye to her old life and accept the uncertainty of her future. This is immensely important as Pam makes the transition to FNB. She cannot and did not let hurdles get in the way of achieving personal growth. She is well on her way to making FNB traits the norm rather than random behavior.

One of the more positive outcomes this week revolves around the idea that Pam is no longer in denial about her feelings for Jim. She knows she loves him, but she is unwilling to act. Her moral center has created a thick boundary she refuses to cross while Jim is with Karen. Pam's moral center is a fundamental component to her behavior and is almost unbreakable. Surprisingly, Roy is the one that calls this impediment into question. He lights a little fire under Pam by encouraging her to date Jim. In a sense, Roy picked up the ball that's been sitting at Pam's feet told her it's time to play. Despite Pam's gains, she is still doubts herself around Jim. She doesn't totally believe she can win him back, yet. Luckily, Roy at least got her to hold the ball and think seriously about going after the one person she loves, (thank you Roy!). Pam simply needs to overcome her doubt and work past the constraints of her moral center.

Pam's hesitancy and doubt also originate from her experiences with Jim's wall. It's higher and thicker than ever before. She can't find a way through it and this creates speculation that Jim is over her and no longer has feelings. The timing for this couldn't be worse as the events of Casino Night have begun to emerge from the shadows of the past. Furthermore, Pam appears poised to have the BIG conversation with Jim. Her attempt to talk about the "fight" with Jim in the break room speaks volumes about Pam's level of courage. She knew the conversation would inevitably lead to CN, yet she continued to pursue it. Had it not been for Jim's wall, there's no telling how much emotional honesty would've spilled out of Pam. Unfortunately, Jim's Fort Knox defense causes Pam to retreat both in the conversation and with her feelings.

It seems bleak, but in all reality, Pam essentially got a green light from Roy to pursue Jim, (who would've thought a dividing factor to JAM could now be a third party that brings them together!?). Now all she has to do is step on the gas. She is one step closer to believing she is good enough for Jim and that she deserves him.

Watching Jim and Karen:

Pam can't help but overhear Karen and Jim talk as she sits at her desk. She is clearly annoyed as Karen prods Jim to go out instead of staying in for the night. She focuses her eyes squarely on Karen. If looks could kill, Pam's evil eye would get the job done. She doesn't like it that Karen is manipulating Jim by picking on him. However, most of Pam's angst is rooted in aggravated jealousy. Karen is flaunting her relationship with Jim right in front of Pam. Pam is more than aware of Karen's tactic and finds it annoying as it jabs at her heart. She doesn't need Karen reminding her of the depressing reality that Jim is taken.

Roy Attacks Jim:

Pam is just as surprised as Jim when Roy walks in and hollers "Hey Halpert!" She looks at Jim with a horrified face that is also telling him, I'm sorry, this is all my fault. I told Roy about us. However, Pam is still holding out hope that Roy will do nothing but yell. She looks towards Roy and knows he has much more on his agenda. She can't do anything more than yell "Roy . . . Roy don't . . ." as Roy lunges at Jim and pushes him into the metal shelving unit that flanks his desk. Of course, Dwight comes to the rescue and stops Roy with pepper spray that also hits Pam.

Talking Head/Watching Jim:

Pam refuses to talk about what happened to the camera. Her sense of privacy kicks in as she says "I really don't want to talk about it. I don't mean to be rude, but I just, I don't want to comment on what happened." Pam is once again hiding her feelings, but it isn't the usual Jim related emotions. Pam is a little self conscious about the situation, which is why she is worried about being rude. She feels guilty about what happened and partially blames herself. She doesn't want the camera to see this as she's still trying to sort through it for herself. However, Pam can't keep locked as tightly as she would like. After a short pause she says "It sucked," as a way to vent a little without getting too personal. She inhales a frustrated breath after her statement, which indicates she is obviously upset by the whole situation and needed to let some of it out.

It seems as though Pam doesn't want to talk about the incident at all, when in fact, she does, just not with the camera. After her talking head, she looks at the back of Jim's head with an anxious face. It's apparent they haven't talked about it since it happened. She wants to talk to Jim. Pam knows Jim is avoiding her and it's bothersome. She doesn't know why he hasn't said a word to her, especially since the incident has everything to do with her. This is creating a sense of urgency for her to open up the communication lines.

The fact that she wants to talk to Jim is very FNB. Old Pam would've sit back and let it slide in order to avoid the possibility of an emotional confrontation. Pam knows a conversation about Roy's attack will lead to the events of CN, yet she still wants to talk to him. She's not totally afraid of CN or her feelings anymore. However, she still needs Jim to meet her in the middle . She won't jump into the water without knowing Jim is right behind her.

The Break Room:

Pam greets Jim with a smile as he walks into the break room. Instead of a return greeting, she gets her first taste of Jim's wall as he walks right by and doesn't acknowledge her at all. Pam is confused initially and even a little hurt at his blatant disregard of her presence. Despite this setback, FNB doesn't give up and decides to initiate a conversation. Pam decides to use a little light humor to smooth things over and make things a little more comfortable as she delves into a difficult topic of conversation. Humor has always been something they shared and it seemed fitting to use it as a means to get him to talk to her.

She scrunches her face playfully and says, "I'm sorry I almost got you killed." Her statement again lends to the idea that Pam blames herself for what happened, which adds to her need to talk to him. A slight smile forms as she waits for him to respond. She is uncertain on how he'll react and braces herself for the worst while she hopes for the best. He doesn't turn around but he answers her with an even tone and somewhat uncomfortable chuckle, "Yeah. That was nuts." It wasn't a bad response, but it wasn't the best either. She expected him to elaborate a little further. Undaunted, Pam prods him again, "He could've broken your nose or something. Crazy." She keeps her tone light, but less humorous this time. Pam looks down and waits for Jim to respond. He remains silent and does not turn around. She is quiet for a few seconds and then looks up with the realization that she just smacked into Jim's wall. She hit it pretty hard, too. Jim isn't going to talk and this jars Pam to the core. Getting him to talk to her is going to be a lot harder than she thought.

To Pam's credit, she doesn't give up and switches to a different tactic. Humor didn't work, so Pam resorts to honesty. She gets right down to the sticky subject of her reunion with Roy, "It's just so stupid. I mean getting back with Roy and everything." She starts out by looking up at him, but then looks across the room as she admits her own stupidity in regards to Roy. She knows she is treading in dangerous waters, but she has already crossed the line so she trudges on, "I mean, what was I thinking, right?" This is Pam's invitation for Jim to turn around and talk to her. She's literally asking for his input, while at the same time creating a place for them to start talking about the past. Pam is trying to open up to him as a way to convince him to do the same. She's essentially leading by example in hopes of rekindling the connection that collapsed after Phyllis's Wedding. She looks up at him after asking her question and her face is pleading with him to turn around to at least look at her. She is begging him, "please talk to me," as she waits for his response.

Pam is ready for this much openness, while Jim is not. Pam readiness in this instance relates to the epiphany she had in Cocktails. She already knows Roy was an illusion, (giving her more emotional honesty), while Jim is still stuck in his fantasy world with Karen. Jim doesn't respond right away as he just stands with his back to her in silence. Pam has no idea that she just knocked the wind out of him, (more on that later in the JP!). Pam views this behavior as being very cold, while Jim feels the heat of pain searing through his heart. After what seems an eternity, Jim finally answers, but it's not what Pam expects. He finally says, "No, you guys seem to have a really strong connection." The irony is uncanny, seeing as Pam is trying to repair her connection with Jim. Pam doesn't realize that Jim is feeling an enormous amount of pain at this moment and therefore takes his statement literally. However, FNB doesn't give up and tries to redirect Jim's understanding with, "Not anymore. It's completely over." She looks up at him again, still hanging on to some hope that he will turn around.

Pam is also hoping her revelation that it's over with Roy will be enough to garner Jim's attention and open up a dialogue. Jim doesn't bite the bait and starts to walk towards the door. Pam follows him with her eyes, surprised that he's leaving the room and her. Jim surprises her further with his chuckle and "We'll see." He threw her attempt at opening up right back in her face. It hurts that he doesn't believe her despite the fact that she is being so honest with him. She continues to keep her eyes on him as he inches closer to the door. As she looks at him, her eyes are beseeching him to stay, "Please don't go." He makes it even worse by telling her, "I'm sure you guys'll find your way to one another someday." The last thing Pam wants to hear from Jim is that she and Roy belong together. It's at this point that Pam realizes Jim is not on the same page as her. Her honesty is falling on deaf ears as Jim isn't listening the way she needs him to. She knows he is on his way out, but she calls him name to stop him and tell him the one thing she wanted him to hear.

She pauses for a few seconds as she gathers the courage to say, "I am really sorry." Pam packs just about every emotion she has for Jim in her apology. She isn't just apologizing for Roy's behavior, but her own throughout the last few years. In particular, she is referring to Casino Night. Pam is starting to realize just how much she hurt him, not only by rejecting him but also by not being emotionally honest with him. She's apologizing for not returning his heartfelt declaration on CN when she now knows she felt the same way and still does to this day. It now hurts her that she hurt him. Furthermore, she is apologizing for going back to Roy. She doesn't fully understand how much this effected Jim, but she can tell from his behavior in the break room that it did impact him. Pam feels the guilt of returning to Roy when she really has feelings for Jim. Her apology is her way of telling Jim how she feels about him without violating the boundary set forth by her moral center.

Pam truly wanted to elaborate her apology with all of the details, but she knew Jim was finished with this conversation. He actually interrupted her apology with "Oh, yeah. Don't worry about it," as he walked away. Pam watched him leave for a few seconds before she let the pain of the situation settle into her heart. She looks down at the table as the pain spreads to her eyes and takes over her face. It hurt tremendously to watch him walk away and accept her apology with such a passé tone when she shared so much emotion. Pam can't help but think that she's totally lost him as a friend and any possibility something more. Jim's cold shoulder has left her isolated and shut out and she doesn't know how to get around his wall. Pam knows she made a lot of mistakes in the past and she lost on what she needs to do to repair her relationship with Jim. In fact, she doesn't think she can at this point.

The parallels of this scene to Back From Vacation are striking. It's the same break room where Jim and Pam reconnected on various levels as Jim told Pam about his argument with Karen. Pam is even sitting in the same chair at the same table. Pam initiated the conversation and was successful in getting Jim to open up to her about a very personal topic. In The Negotiation, Pam found herself in a similar position of having to initiate conversation for a very touchy subject. Only this time, she wasn't able to crack Jim open. She couldn't even get him to turn around. This goes to show just how the events of Phyllis's Wedding truly erased all the gains Jim and Pam made in repairing their connection. On another level, both are pushing the other towards other people in both conversations. In BFV, Pam's advice brings Jim closer to Karen, while Jim's statement in The Negotiation tells Pam she'll eventually end up with Roy. Both do this as a means to mask their true feelings and hide the pain.

This scene also provides a double meaning for the title, "The Negotiation." It's been playfully discussed that Jim and Pam are in the midst of a JAM Cold War. Jim's behavior during this scene illustrates that he has no intention of thawing out anytime soon. Pam however, is ready to start negotiations for detente (a relaxation of strained relations or tensions) between the nation of Pam and the nation of Jim, (refer to a history book or a dictionary if this analogy makes no sense!). Unfortunately, Jim is not cooperative and Pam is left holding a block of ice.

It's easy to get depressed at the end of this scene, but honestly, we should be cheering. Pam's honesty throughout the scene was refreshing and a huge triumph for her. Not only did she initiate an incredibly difficult conversation, but she didn't back down when things got rough. I can't shake the image of Pam continuously throwing her heart at Jim only to have smash against his wall and bounce back at her feet. Yet, she resiliently tried to penetrate the wall again and again. This is the most honest Pam has been with Jim since she kissed him back and said "Me too." Bravo. Pam is finally starting to embrace her emotions rather than run away in fear.

Roy at Pam's Desk:

Roy arrives escorted by security to pick up his pay check. He stops by Pam's desk, but doesn't say anything. He just looks at her as he silently apologizes for his behavior. He looks like he wants to say something but loses his nerve due to the scrutiny of several pairs of eyes. Pam doesn't say anything as she looks at him. She only breaks eye contact once, but from there she maintains a strong stance. For her, there is nothing left to say. She's letting him know it's over with her silence. Pam said all she wanted to say back at the bar in Cocktails. When she said, "This is over," she really meant it. Roy heads over to accounting and apologizes to Jim on his way. Pam is undoubtedly watching his every move.

Roy then makes a surprise return to her desk and this unnerves Pam. She is noticeably uncomfortable as he approaches her. She doesn't want Roy to say anything. Pam glances quickly at Jim before Roy reaches his position in front of her. She's worried about a couple of things. First, the tense situation has Pam and everyone else worried about repeat of Roy's attack on Jim. Secondly, she's worried that Jim is going to get the wrong idea about her and Roy. The comment he made in the break room is still weighing heavy in her mind. Roy asks her if he can see her after work for coffee. Pam replies, "I don't know," while nodding her head "no." Her body language tells the truth in that she doesn't want to go anywhere with Roy.

Pam is concerned that this will be another attempt by Roy to get her back by piling up apologies and promises he can't keep. Something tells me she's been subjected to this many times before. Pam knows this song and dance and isn't going to fall for it this time. Roy tries again, "Please. I just got some stuff I gotta say." Pam is still uncertain. She breaks eye contact as she thinks about his plea. This is a line she's never heard. Roy has a tone of finality in his statement that convinces Pam he knows it's over. She nods "yes" slightly with an internal understanding that this meeting will be about closure for both herself and Roy.

Coffee with Roy:

As if one difficult conversation wasn't enough, Pam finds herself in another uncomfortable and emotionally draining discussion in the same day. Roy begins by apologizing, "I'm so sorry, Pammy," (Don't call her Pammy!). He explains he wasn't going to do anything but then adds, "I kept thinking about you two together." Pam's moral center kicks in and she feels incredibly guilty about her relationship with Jim. Her eyes wandered away from Roy when he brought it up, again indicating she largely blames herself for what happened.

Roy continues with, "I just thought you guys were really good friends." Pam's expression towards Roy carries a very knowing look. Pam knows she fooled herself into believing the exact same thing. She had told herself over and over again that she and Jim were just friends. Pam doesn't argue or try to defend herself at all because she is now fully aware of the truth. She can't hide from or ignore her prior behavior with Jim anymore. Pam is no longer in denial about her feelings for Jim in the past or how she feels now. It was never just a friendship, it was more than that and now she is left longing for that relationship.

Pam's guilt leads her to apologize to Roy, "I'm sorry, too." Roy looks a little surprised so Pam elaborates a little further, "I just . . . I think that we both made some bad choices." Pam is obviously referring to some of Roy's actions, (she is by no means excusing his behavior), but she is also footing some of the blame. She feels she did wrong by Roy for a number of reasons. First and foremost, she knows it was a mistake to get back together with him during a moment of weakness. She knew had feelings for Jim when she left Phyllis's Wedding with Roy. She was in effect using him to alleviate her loneliness and get over Jim. She realizes this now and feels bad for making him her crutch. Pam's new awareness of her feelings for Jim also creates a new sense of guilt concerning the past.

Pam knows she should have made a choice between Roy and Jim before everything hit the fan. She had a choice to break it off with Roy or break it off with Jim, but she faultily tried to have it both ways. She knew it wasn't working with Roy long before she left him, yet she continued to stay in a relationship with him while having feelings for someone else. Pam was able to pull the wool over her moral center's all seeing eye because she insisted to herself that she and Jim were just friends. That's how she was able to have it both ways for so long.

The truth however, has created a new reality in which staying with Roy was the wrong thing to do instead of the right thing. Hence, an apology becomes necessary. Pam has been carrying all of this around with her since she broke off her wedding and Jim left for Stamford. How she didn't collapse from this emotional weight will forever remain a mystery, which lends credit to her strength as an individual. Pam needed Roy to accept her apology and was likely relieved at his affirmative nod. She can now walk away from this relationship with a clearer conscious. It's safe to say that Pam and Roy's relationship as a couple is officially over with the exchange and acceptance of apologies. Thus, "The Negotiation" taking place is the end of a relationship. Both realize that neither has anything to offer the other and it's time to let go.

Roy takes the conversation in a surprising direction when he asks, "So, you gonna start dating Halpert then?" Pam is surprised and unwittingly breaks into a schoolgirl crush smile, "Um, no." She is shocked that Roy is discussing Jim with her so openly and that he has her pegged so well. Pam recovers quickly and responds again, "No. He has a girlfriend." She nods slightly to acknowledge the reality of her situation and then looks down at the table. It still stings and hurts that Jim is no longer in her life the way she needs and wants him to be. The conversation she had with him earlier in the day is also thick in the air. Jim left her feeling shut out and very alone. Furthermore, her moral center precludes her from dating Jim as long as Karen is in the picture. As a result she feels completely locked out of Jim's world and therefore sees no hope of dating him as Roy suggested.

Roy seemingly accepts Pam's answer, but then he surprisingly pushes it a little further, "Wait a minute. You broke up our wedding for the guy." Pam answers immediately back, "No, there were a lot of reasons." This is entirely true, but Roy made Pam realize something she hadn't entertained before. He pointed out that Jim is the primary reason Pam called off the wedding. She never thought of Jim having such a large role in her decision to leave Roy. Jim was already in Stamford when the wedding was cancelled, so naturally all the other reasons took over in Pam's mind. Roy doesn't let the issue drop as he pushes her further, "Your not even going to try to go out with him." Pam is again surprised that Roy is addressing the issue. She is a little thrown that he is encouraging her to go after Jim. She nods "no" very slightly while wearing her trademark shy smile. She wears this smile when she is nervous. Initially, she is thinking there is simply no way she can "try" to date Jim. But, Roy is forcing her to think about something she didn't have the courage to consider before. Pam had been waiting for Jim all this time. She was waiting for a signal or an indication that he has feelings for her.

Roy is pointing out that she has to be honest whether or not Jim feels the same way. Sometimes caution must be thrown to the wind and there scares Pam to death. Pam is still reeling from the break room incident and that is adding to her existing hesitance, but her moral center is applying the strongest pressure to the breaks in regard to making a move on Jim. It never occurred to her to make the first move on Jim while Karen is still in the picture until Roy brought it to her attention. Roy has bluntly stated the obvious in that a significant other ultimately didn't stop Jim and it shouldn't stop Pam. Pam still doesn't think she can do this, but Roy did light a little fire under her.

Roy's statement is starting to make Pam realize she is good enough for Jim. Pam is slowly going to put this into practice as soon as she wraps her brain around it. She is going to remember this little pearl of wisdom when it counts. Roy is befuddled by Pam's response and lets out a frustrated, "I don't get you, Pam." Pam responds a little playfully, "I know." She knows how infuriating the situation is for her and can only imagine how confusing it is for someone else to understand, especially when that someone is Roy. She is fidgeting with her sweater which shows her nerves and discomfort. It's hard for her to talk about Jim so openly with Roy.

However, getting it out in the open is going to help Pam talk to Jim when the time comes. "I know," can also be assessed from another level that Pam knows Roy never totally "got" her and he never will. Which is why they are not meant to be and she's known that for quite some time. Pam is also telling herself "I know," because she doesn't totally "get" herself right now. She is a little lost right now. Pam is still adjusting to the changes she's made on her way to FNB while dealing with the disaster of her relationship with Jim at the same time. She can't find her way no matter how hard she tries. Hopefully, Roy's encouragement will help her plot a course that steps outside the boundaries that Pam previously refused to cross.

Saying Goodbye:

Pam and Roy walk out of the diner and Roy reaches over to hug Pam. She lets him, but she has a hard time putting her arms around him. She is uncomfortable and lets go long before he does. Roy finally lets go and they go their separate ways. It's over.

The Bottom Line:

Pam has reached a new level of emotional honesty that transcends the past and present. All she has left to do is extend this honesty to Jim. Once she reworks the boundaries of her moral center, there will be no stopping her.

- - -

JAM Optimist:

1) Pam is officially out of denial - she has achieved emotional honesty
2) Pam is ready to talk about CN
3) It's over with Roy
4) Pam knows she has to make the first move
5) Pam has acknowledged and come to terms with her mistakes with both Roy and Jim
6) FNB is alive and well

JAM Pessimist:

1) Pam still harbors self doubt - she doesn't believe she is good enough for Jim
2) Pam's moral center is still holding her back
3) Jim's wall is impenetrable at this point

Questions to Ponder:

1) Is Pam correct to assess so much blame on herself for Roy's attack on Jim? What about the end of her relationship with Roy? Who is more at fault: Pam or Roy?

2) Does Pam still need Jim to meet her halfway during the BIG conversation or moment of truth?

3) It's clear Jim doesn't completely trust Pam and that creates much of the distance between them. How can Pam regain his trust?

4) Given Roy's encouragement, will Pam make a move with Karen still in the picture? Will she be able to step outside the boundaries of her moral center? Did Roy light a big enough fire?

5) Was Pam's apology to Jim enough or does she owe him more for her mistakes?
End Notes:
Commonly Used Acronyms:
PD = Pam Dichotomy,
JP = Jim Paradox,
CN = Casino Night,
FNB = Fancy New Beesly,
QTP = Questions to Ponder



This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter 20: Safety Training by scrantonbranch
In an amazing turn of events, Pam is energetic, happy, and full of spark as she spends almost an entire episode by Jim's side. Even more encouraging is the return of non-verbal communication between Jim and Pam. It's been a long time since they've communicated with each effectively on any level. The heartbreak and turmoil that dominated their relations in the break room have apparently been put on hold as both enjoy each other's company once again. It seems odd at first, given the tumultuous interaction in The Negotiation. However, an adjustment to the timeline between episodes may help to explain the gap.

The events of The Negotiation most likely occurred soon after Cocktails. A safe guess is anywhere from two to three weeks. It's enough time for Roy's temper to simmer before he attacked Jim, yet not enough time for Roy to let it go. Roy himself said, "I wasn't going to do anything, but I kept thinking of you two together," which indicates he thought about it for a little while beforehand.

Phyllis's appearance in The Negotiation also helps seeing as it's the first time she's been seen since her wedding. She stated in Phyllis's Wedding that her honeymoon was going to be 6 weeks. If we place the events of The Negotiation in mid-march, her reappearance is right on schedule. Given Jim and Pam's thawed out relations, Safety Training is close to a real time episode, which means it's happening two to three weeks after The Negotiation, (early April).

Andy's time in anger management also helps to realign the timeline. He left in mid-January and is now back, approximately 10 weeks later. This revised timeline helps to create a gap of time that allows for a relaxation of tensions between Jim and Pam. It's doubtful they'd being hanging out so easily if the break room conversation was only a week old. They've obviously had time to let things settle between them. (That was fun! I used my Dunder Mifflin calendar from the Season 2 Severance Package DVD set to figure out the timeline! I'm such a dork!)

As a result of easing tensions, Pam has found a new confidence around Jim and is letting her light shine. She is doing exactly what we need her to do. In the spirit of heightened subtlety, Pam has realized the key to winning Jim's attention is to simply be herself. Her personality is what landed Jim in her corner in the first place. All Pam needs to do is let her personality sparkle when it counts, (when Jim is watching). Throughout the day, Pam was simply being Pam. Essentially, she is reminding Jim of why he fell for her without even really trying.

The lessons she learned in The Merger and Ben Franklin have not been forgotten. Pam is bringing Jim back to Scranton (her) and away from Stamford (Karen), (see the analysis for The Negotiation on the JP for this reference!). Pam has Jim's attention throughout the day and she doesn't let it go to waste. She is, however, being careful and isn't forcing anything. She knows how skittish Jim can be, so she's remaining subtle. In general, her charm and warmth is natural rather than contrived.

That being said, she's not exactly sitting back and waiting for him anymore either. If Jim is in front of her, he's going to see the Pam he fell in love with. He's also going to see the shiny new aspect of FNB as she exudes confidence and honesty. Pam's newfound emotional honesty is beginning to translate to Jim, even if somewhat unwittingly. Part of Pam's confidence around Jim emanates from a new sense of self, while the rest comes from knowing what she wants. Pam isn't brave enough to make a move quite yet, as she is still bound by her moral center. But, FNB is now entrenched in her being and that is making an impression on Jim. It's just who she is and it's naturally shaping her interaction with Jim. She is no longer completely trapped by her feelings. Instead, she is liberated and that shows as every time Pam smiles at Jim.

Aside from cool down time and Pam's confidence, Jim and Pam were able to find common ground and relax with one another due to two distractions: betting games and Michael. They have a long history of connecting with humor and there was plenty of opportunities to laugh and joke around as they hung out. Karen was noticeably on the sidelines as Jim and Pam connected with their old past times of poking fun at co-workers and marveling at Michael's idiocy. Karen said it best with, "I'm getting cleaned out." As Jim and Pam continue to connect, she'll be out of more than just her money.

The Jellybean Bet:

Kevin, Jim, Oscar and Karen are gathered around Pam's desk as they guess how many jellybeans are in the candy dish. It's immediately noticeable by Pam's posture and body language that she is confident and cheerful. Pam likes the game and is very playful and she moves the candy dish from person to person as they place their bets. Karen's guess of 51, elicits disdain from Jim and Kevin. Jim goes as far as to tell Karen, "Don't be that person." Pam surprisingly steps up and defends Karen's strategy, "It's called being smart," as she looks at both Jim and Karen. Pam isn't intimidated by Karen, nor does she feel threatened by her any longer.

There's actually a little hidden message in Pam's statement. She's actually lightly flirting with Jim as she defends Karen. Pam has little attitude in her body language, while she's being playful and cute. She tosses a quick glance at Jim which indicates the statement was directed at him more than it was at Karen. She's poking fun at Jim, Well, you're the one dating "that person."

Pam dumps the jellybeans and counts them while the group anxiously awaits the results. She happily proclaims Jim the winner. Pam is obviously enjoying the distraction of the game. She likes to play and games in general, but it's giving her an opportunity to hang out with Jim without the tension. It feels like the good old days when he hung at her desk on a regular basis. Oddly enough, Kevin brings up this very fact as he cries foul, "That is not fair. He has spent hours up here at reception with you. Hours and hours. . . . No, constantly, for like years."

The camera doesn't reveal Pam's expression, but Kevin's statement has to hit home with her. Pam misses Jim's presence at her desk, so having him at her desk now means a lot to her, even if there are three other people along for the ride. Part of her likes it that Kevin is reminding Jim about his past behavior and is maybe even hoping it'll remind Jim of his feelings.

Kelly's Netflix Story:

There isn't a lot of JAM interaction in this segment, but there is some symbolism. Aside from Ryan, Jim and Pam are the only two winners in the game. In each of the bets that take place one or both of the win something, while Karen is on the loser list. Karen is clearly out of her element while Jim and Pam are totally at home with betting and each other.

On a side note, Pam's little dance is absolutely adorable. It's another indicator of Pam's playful nature. It's good to see her having a good time and happy after all the turmoil and chaos that has engulfed her life. If only Jim turned around to see her "happy dance." It surely would've made him smile.

Creed's Apple:

Again, there isn't a lot of JAM interaction, but it does carry some significance. Jim and Pam work as a team to set up a bet of whether Creed will eat a potato in place of his apple. Pam walks up to Creed and talks to him long enough to distract him while Jim replaces his apple with a potato. The synergy of Jim and Pam is readily apparent as the transaction take place smoothly and seamlessly. This interaction is highly reminiscent of their teamwork in The Return as they hide Andy's cell phone and tag team calling the number to complete the prank. Jim and Pam may have hit a rough spot, but the connection has not been broken.

Once again, Karen is left out as she fails to collect on the bet, while Jim and Pam cash in. Karen follows up her loss with a talking head, "I don't know this place as well as I thought I did. I'm getting cleaned out." In all reality, Karen doesn't know Jim as well as she thought, nor does she fully understand the connection he shares with Pam.

Parking Lot:

Jim and Pam stand near one another as Michael and Dwight perform their little skit. The distraction of Michael gives Jim and Pam a reason to talk. Michael has traditionally been a favorite topic of discussion between them, (The Client, Performance Review, Back From Vacation, etc.). Pam decides to take advantage of Michael's antics and Jim's close proximity by initiating small talk that is laced with her trademark humor and light sarcasm. Pam turns to Jim and asks, "What are the odds that this is in any way real?" It's her way incorporating the spirit of the day's betting, while also poking fun at Michael. Jim responds in kind, "I'd say like 10,000 to one." Pam nods in response, thrilled that Jim accepted her invitation to joke around with her. He nods along with her acknowledging the joke and sharing the humor.

The key here is that Pam initiated. She didn't wait for Jim to come to her. Instead, she took the reins and brought Jim back to a familiar place -- joking around about Michael. Humor has always been a connecting factor. This is very FNB and very encouraging. It is essential that FNB traits become a regular behavior pattern. Pam is well on her way to achieving this goal. Michael's antics have given them a reason to exchange glances and chat in the past and it appears that still rings true. It's something both of them "get" and it serves as an inside joke. FNB is smart enough to knows and uses it to her advantage, albeit on a subconscious level.

The Castle:

The discovery of the "bouncy" castle behind the hedge adds a new level of humor to Michael's rooftop antics. Jim and Pam run over for a closer look. Jim and Pam exchanged amused looks as the arrive at the castle. Again, the humor and ridiculousness of the situation is bringing them closer to together. They know what the other is thinking, so no words are necessary. Non-verbal communication is returning to their relationship after a long drought.

Pam is the first to realize Michael's intentions with castle and immediately tells Jim, "Oh my God, he's gonna jump." Jim then see the gravity of the situation and says, "He's going to kill himself pretending to kill himself." Pam responds with a worried, "Yeah." This shows another element of the connecting factor that Michael provides. Pam and Jim may enjoy cracking a good joke at Michael's expense, but they also look out for him. Their concern for him is as equally binding as their jokes. Both dash back out to the parking lot to talk him out of his plan.

Pam on the Megaphone:

When Jim is unsuccessful in convincing Michael not to jump, Pam grabs the megaphone and tries her hand at bring Michael down from the roof without jumping. Pam once again radiates her natural warmth and charm as she says, "Hey Michael, I have a present for you, but you have to come down to get it." Pam is worried about Michael, but she can't let go of the humor associated with his actions. Her statement is aimed primarily at swaying Michael against the idea of jumping, but it's also poking fun at him as her tone is very playful.

Pam is clearly amused by the situation despite the very real possibility that Michael could hurt himself. She looks at Jim and shakes her head while smiling. She is again inviting him to join her in making fun of Michael. She is silently asking him, Can you believe this!? Jim once again accepts her invite and smiles back equally amused. This serves as another instance of non-verbal communication between Jim and Pam via humor. Up to this point, Jim and Pam have rarely shared more than one instance of non-verbal communication in one day. This is indeed encouraging! Furthermore, the fact that Pam is able to pull Jim into her world once again speaks volumes of FNB's power. Pam is simply irresistible.

Darryl on the Megaphone:

Pam's best attempts at sweet talking Michael down from the ledge simply aren't enough and Darryl decides to take over. As Darryl talks, it hard not to notice just how close Jim and Pam are standing to one another. What's more is that they are extremely comfortable given their close propinquity. Darryl attempts to quell Michael by bringing up his relationship with Jan. Michael responds with, "It's complicated with Jan. I don't know where I stand or what I want." Ironically, Michael's statements about Jan apply directly to Jim and Pam as they stand together. Neither knows where they stand with the other on an emotional level.

Michael goes on to say, "The sex isn't nearly as good as it used to be." Pam immediately looks at Jim and he returns the favor as both share another joke between them without saying a word. They just can't help themselves. Their expressions are highly reminiscent of facial expressions they exchanged in Performance Review as they overhear Jan and Michael arguing at the elevator. It's beyond encouraging to see non-verbal communication happening for a third time. Hopefully, they won't lose the link and will continue this pattern in subsequent episodes.

The Bottom Line:

Pam and Jim's communication lines appear to be up and running once again as they spoke to each other on many occasions without saying a word. This is of paramount importance and JAM thrives on non-verbal communication. The link between them has not been broken despite the negative events that transpired. It was just a little drought and clearly the rain has started to fall!

Pam has figured out that she is the one who needs to send the signal to Jim. She can't wait for him to come to her, as she will be waiting forever. She has discovered that all she has to do is be herself and Jim will come around. The confidence and honesty that shines in Pam's eyes is luring Jim back to her corner. The emotional honesty she currently understands is driving all her actions. Pam's newly acquired heightened subtlety is all about dropping little pieces of her heart like breadcrumbs all the while hoping Jim will pick them up and find his way home.

- - -

JAM Optimist:

1. Pam still has emotional honesty
2. FNB traits are beginning to become a regular behavior pattern
3. Pam flirted with Jim
4. Pam isn't afraid of Karen (this is key for redrawing her moral center boundaries)
5. Pam got Jim's attention

JAM Pessimist:

1. Pam is still bound by her moral center

JAM Song of the Week:

This is a new feature that showcases songs that relate to the state of JAM on a weekly basis, providing one can be found! This selection is a nice interpretation of Jim from Pam's perspective.

Kettle's On
Artist: The Feeling
Album: Twelve Stops & Home

Questions to Ponder:

1. Is Pam doing enough to get Jim's attention? Should she be doing anything differently?

2. There has been a lot of debate of whether it's "right" for Pam to make a move on Jim while he is with Karen. What do you think? What are the pros and cons to of making her move?

3. What is your assessment of the timeline? How much time has passed between Cocktails, The Negotiation and Safety Training? Is everything in real time or are adjustments necessary?

4. How strong is Pam? Are we overestimating her FNB status or has she hit her stride?

5. Just for fun: If you had your way, what would you have Pam do to get Jim's attention. But there's one rule, it has to fall under the category of heightened subtlety!
End Notes:
Commonly Used Acronyms:
PD = Pam Dichotomy,
JP = Jim Paradox,
CN = Casino Night,
FNB = Fancy New Beesly,
QTP = Questions to Ponder



This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter 21: Product Recall by scrantonbranch
In complete contrast to last week, Jim and Pam had no interaction in Product Recall. However Pam didn't stand idly by and allow herself to completely disappear from his radar. While Jim didn't provide her with any opportunity to showcase FNB, Pam still enacted a little bit of her newly developed mode of heightened subtlety to catch his attention. Her efforts may have slight, but she still tried. Pam may still lack the courage to confront Jim with her feelings, but she has found the confidence to keep herself in Jim's line of sight. It may be small beans, but her fortitude will lead to increased confidence and eventual dissipation of the fear that is currently holding her back from telling Jim how she feels.

Another aspect that is pushing Pam is the very simple fact that she misses Jim. She got a nice reminder in Safety Training of just how much fun it is to hang with Jim. Chances are she has spent the time in between episodes reflecting on all the time they've spent together. On top of that, Jim has seemingly shifted back into a "cold" demeanor, (more on this on the JP!). Pam feels the distance and this creates a strong motivation to regain his attention.

Jim as Dwight:

Pam is both amused and confused as Jim arrives for work. He is dressed in odd attire and is carrying himself in a different way. She slightly smiles at him, hoping he'll make eye contact. He never does and her smile fades. She never takes her eyes off of Jim as he settles into his desk. Pam watches Jim anxiously trying to figure out just what Jim is up to as his odd behavior continues. A tinge of sadness shows up on Pam's face in that she wishes she were included. Pam knows it's a prank of some kind, but she is out of the loop. Jim's lack of eye contact forced her to be on the outside looking in rather than part of the prank. At the very least, Pam was hoping for a glance indicating he was about to pull a prank. Regardless of her internal hopes, Pam continues to watch Jim as the prank unfolds. She may be filled with curiosity and anticipation, but it's also possible to see just how much she misses him.

The camera blocks Pam for the duration of the scene, but it possible to catch her smiling as Jim heads towards Michael's office. Pam may have felt left out, but she can't help but allow the humor of the prank to take over. Jim could always make her laugh and he still can.

Conference Room:

Pam lets out a huge yawn as Jim passes by her on his way to the conference table. She doesn't notice his entrance and he pays no heed to her presence. In fact, Pam doesn't recover from her yawn induced tunnel vision until she Creed enters the room. The connection that existed in Safety Training has obviously been placed on the backburner.
Michael begins cryptic babbling in response to the crisis at hand which, immediately gains the attention of Ryan, Jim, and Karen. Ryan and Dwight both ask for a translation of the acronyms that spewed from Michael's mouth, which of course elicits further babbling. Jim jumps in the mix and asks, "Why are you talking like that?" Michael explains that he's trying to save time, which immediately grabs Karen's attention.

In a departure from her confusion last week, Karen jumps right in and begins to jab Michael, "Actually I think you could make the argument that it wastes time." This is where Pam takes advantage of the situation. She jumps in and says, "Yeah, she has a good point. I mean for example, with the last thing you said, by the time you explained it, it actually took up more time. . . " At first it appears that Pam is continuing the joke, but Karen's comments were not spoken with humor in mind. She was being very serious in pointing out Michael's faulty logic. Pam is actually creating the joke rather than following through as a way to get Jim's attention. Pam looks in his direction as she wears a sly smile hoping Jim will meet her gaze to share the moment. The camera, unfortunately, does not pan over to Jim for his reaction, (if there even is one). The motivation for Pam's joke exists on three different levels. First, Pam needed to re-insert herself in Jim's world. She already knows she can't wait for him to open the gates as it's up to her to crack the lock. Therefore, she has to call attention to herself whenever she can, even if on a subtle level. She was in the zone in Safety Training, but Jim has since changed the boundaries. Pam needs to get herself on the other side of the line.

Secondly, Pam felt a little left out of Jim's prank on Dwight and now finds it necessary to make sure he sees she still knows her way around a joke. It's also a little reminder that she "gets" the humor of Michael's antics, while also pointing out Karen does not. It's Pam's was of reinforcing the connection they've always shared when it comes to humor. She was able to ride high on this concept in Safety Training, so it makes sense that she would continue to utilize it to her favor. If she can make him laugh, he may reveal a hole in his wall. Lastly, Pam is showing Karen she is not intimidated by her. This is an extension of her behavior in Safety Training. Pam found the courage to create a joke off of Karen's own statement in order to get Jim's attention. Essentially, she tried to create a connection to Jim right in front of Karen. FNB has made her presence known.


Dwight as Jim:

As Dwight saunters in donned in a Jim wardrobe, Pam simply can't help herself. She's onto Dwight from the start, so in a playful tone she says, "Hey Dwight, you look really nice today." She knows it's not what Dwight wants to hear and that makes it even more funny. However, this is more for Jim's benefit. She took Dwight's prank and turned back on him with her trademark subtlety and intelligence. Jim is bound to notice. Pam smiles showing both her amusement with the situation, but also her sympathy. She knows there's no way Dwight can pull off a prank of this magnitude. Jim isn't going to get upset and Dwight won't get even. She returns to her work, (still smiling) once Dwight focuses his attention on Karen. Pam knows she's already played her hand at the prank, so she doesn't overstep her boundaries by taking it any further. It's now in Jim's hands and she's happy to let him handle Dwight.

- - -

JAM Optimist:

1) Pam hasn't given up on getting Jim's attention
2) Pam is not initmidated by Karen
3) FNB traits continue to be a pattern

JAM Pessimist:

1) Pam still hasn't found the courage to tell Jim how she feels
2) Pam's moral center boundaries are shifting, but not enough

JAM Song of the Week:

It's little unorthodox, but then so is Athlete! It's a British band and the accent is pretty thick, but once you get past that, it's a great song. The lyrics follow Pam's point of view so well, I just had to share it.

Trading Air
Artist - Athlete
Album - Tourist

Questions to Ponder:

1) Who has the upper hand in the JAM scenario: Jim, Pam, or Karen?

2) Will Karen or Jim catch onto Pam's passive aggressive tactics? Can we even classify her behavior as passive aggressive?

3) Should Pam wait for or create an opportunity to tell Jim how she feels? How would you assess her current strategy of gaining Jim's attention?
End Notes:
Commonly Used Acronyms:
PD = Pam Dichotomy,
JP = Jim Paradox,
CN = Casino Night,
FNB = Fancy New Beesly,
QTP = Questions to Ponder



This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter 22: Women's Appreciation by scrantonbranch
Pam's strength is clearly growing and becoming part of her persona. Ever since Cocktails, Pam seems to have found a niche in being honest and self-assertive. Her steps may be small, but they are steadily progressing into big strides. In both Safety Training and Product Recall Pam began behaving with heightened subtlety to exhibit her warm personality and FNB attributes.

She learned the hard way in The Negotiation that Jim isn't ready for a full-out confrontation. She knows she has to lightly tap at his boundaries rather blast through them to bring him back to her corner. Progress has been slow, but nonetheless it's still progress. The goal is to weaken Jim's defenses enough to make him more susceptible to the truth when she chooses to unleash it.

Pam's relations with Karen in particular provided immense insight into Pam's strength. Not only did she stand up to her, but she also sent a pretty strong signal that left Karen reeling. Obviously, Pam has taken her self-assertiveness to a new level. Heightened subtlety is no longer directed solely at Jim. Pam has few messages to send to Karen as well. This is the third episode where Pam has refused to let Karen intimidate her on any level. In fact, Pam is making sure Karen knows she won't be intimidated. This is a huge transformation for Pam, that undoubtedly stems from her standing up to Roy in Cocktails. Once she stood up to the most intimidating person in her life, Karen became small beans.

Strength shows up in Pam's humor as well. On her own volition she initiated a prank on Dwight. She didn't as for Jim's help or wait for him to come to her as she went solo on this one. Pam decided to flaunt her pranking capabilities to the entire office despite the fact that she would surely be pegged as the instigator. Now, that's courage. Our Pam has come a long way. Now all Pam needs to do is translate her courage to the person who means the most to her: Jim.

Talking Head #1:

Phyllis's experience with a flasher in the parking lot brought out Pam's compassion, but it also brought out a little bit of honesty. In her talking head Pam says, "I don't often miss Roy. But I can tell you one thing. I wish someone would've flashed me when I was with Roy, because that would have been the ass-kicking of the year." Right from the start Pam is being honest about the fact that she is over Roy. The only thing she misses about her relationship with him is the fact that wasn't lonely when Roy was around.

From there, Pam finds the humor of the situation, (with much more eloquence than Michael). She's lightly smiling while she speaks and she lets out a soft laugh at the end of her statement. After witnessing Roy's temper flare in both The Negotiation and Cocktails, she can't help but imagine Roy's wrath if she were in Phyllis's position. Pam takes it a step further with, "Especially, if it had been Jim. He would not have wanted me to have seen Jim's . . . " Pam is trying to be funny here, but her honesty ended up seeping through instead.

Pam has never openly admitted she's attracted to Jim. The most she's ever indicated her attraction to him was in Basketball when she checked him out as he ran past her. This time, however, she slipped in front of the camera. This is the closest Pam has ever gotten to admitting she has feelings for Jim beyond the confines of her mind. Her babbling may not have been rooted so much in emotion as it was in raw attraction, but it's still an indication that her internal honesty is getting ready to burst. Once Pam realizes what she said, she becomes embarrassed, "whoo, I am, I am saying a lot of things." She unwittingly crossed a line that is beyond her comfort zone.

Pam knows she just revealed some very private feelings to the camera and this makes her uneasy. However, she didn't get as flustered as she would have in the past. She barely broke eye contact with the camera. In fact at the end of her talking head she maintained eye contact. Pam doesn't feel bad or ashamed about what she said, she's just a little surprised that it came flying out of her mouth. Her embarrassment stems from inadvertently exposing a small part of her feelings. She is bothered by saying too much, not by being attracted to Jim or having feelings for him. Pam is comfortable with the truth internally, but she isn't ready to fully admit it externally without further impetus. She needs Jim listening in front of her rather than the camera.

Prank on Dwight:

In response to Dwight request to make a drawing of the flasher's face, Pam decides to play a little prank on Dwight. Phyllis was unable to provide a description, so Pam improvises by drawing a modified rendition of Dwight's face knowing full well he was going to use the drawing on a flier. As she leaves for the mall with Michael, she hands Dwight her drawing. Dwight expresses concern that the man in the drawing doesn't seem like the type who would flash. Pam carries on the joke and tells Dwight that Phyllis got a pretty good look at the man's face.

The fact that Pam instigated this prank on her own speaks volumes of her confidence. She knew she would eventually be caught and it would likely elicit a confrontation from Dwight, but she still went through with it in the name of humor. Pam also knows Jim is bound to notice. Her prank is another glowing example of heightened subtlety aimed at gaining Jim's attention. Dwight is a traditional prank target and Pam needs to remind Jim she still knows her way around a Dwight prank. Rather than blatantly invite him to prank with her, as she did in A Benihana Christmas, Pam took a quieter route that speaks louder when it's all said and done. It's an open ended prank that leaves room for Jim if he wants to join her.

Mall Food Court:

Michael tries to bond with the women of the office over soft drinks at the food court of the Steamtown Mall. Eventually, the conversation drifts towards Michael voicing his concerns about his relationship with Jan. In particular, he's uncomfortable with some of Jan's requests in the bedroom. Pam takes it in stride, even finding the humor as she glances at the camera. She tells him, "You shouldn't do anything you're uncomfortable with." Michael's response to her is highly symbolic, "Jan says, anything that doesn't scare us isn't worth doing." It's almost as if Michael is speaking directly to Pam's fears.

Pam hasn't told Jim how she feels due partially to her fear of his reaction. Michael's statement is a nice bit of foreshadowing that Pam needs to speak her mind and heart if she wants anything to happen with Jim, (let's hope sooner than later!). Pam is beginning to understand that her fate rests in her own hands, but she still needs to find the courage to act.

Michael continues to describe his dysfunctional relationship with Jan, while Pam listens. She voices her concern that Michael needs to get out of relationship, explaining that Jan's behavior is not normal. Eventually, Michael makes a pro/con list for his relationship and Pam instructs him to read the pros first. Karen then instructs Michael to read the cons. Pam stops him when he reaches, "I'm unhappy when I'm with her," and tells him, "Michael, you shouldn't be with someone who doesn't make you happy." If anyone would know the truth of this statement, it's Pam. She learned this lesson the hard way. She smiles slightly as she says this because she's amused Michael didn't catch this on his own. She also looks at Karen as they had been in agreement up to this point in dealing with Michael. They shared a couple glances earlier in the scene and seemed to share concern for Michael.

Michael knows Pam has a point, but he tries to defend his relationship by listing the things that do make him happy. Karen interrupts with, "Look, most relationships have their rough patches, you just have to push through it sometimes." Pam immediately looks at Karen knowing all to well that Karen is talking about Jim. Pam knew in Ben Franklin that Jim and Karen were having problems. By now, Pam knows those problems originated from Karen finding out about CN. Michael responds to Karen's advice, "Yeah, that's smart."

Interestingly, Pam jumps right back into the fray and tells Michael, "Maybe. But it sounds like you're just wrong for each other." Pam may have been advising Michael, but she was focused squarely on Karen in her mind. She looks directly at Karen when she finishes her statement. This is Pam's way of telling Karen, You are wrong for Jim. Pam knows she is Jim's match and wants to make sure Karen knows it, too. However, Pam isn't catty and won't slam this in Karen's face. Instead, Pam utilizes heightened subtlety to get Karen's attention. Pam has to go this route or she will drive Jim away from her. Karen is Jim's girlfriend and Pam has to work around that.

Pam is also sending a signal to Karen that she will not be intimidated. This is the third time she's done so since Safety Training. This is the strongest signal she's sent and Karen clearly picked up on the message. It's interesting how their roles have reversed since Ben Franklin. Back then, Pam was the one who was squirming in Karen's grasp, but now Karen is feeling the squeeze.

Pam is essentially standing up for herself when she contradicts Karen. Even though Michael agreed with Karen, Pam still gave her opinion and sent strong signals to Karen. Courage is flowing through this woman's veins! Pam's disagreement signals more than just a difference of opinion. The competition is on between these two and Pam has just thrown her hat into the ring. Prior to this, Pam stood idly by as Karen dated Jim. Pam isn't willing to stand by silently any longer. Clearly, the boundaries of Pam's moral center are continuing to shift.

Victoria's Secret/Talking Head:

When Michael offers to buy each woman something from Victoria's Secret, Pam is hesitant. Kelly practically runs her over as she runs into the store. Michael's offer is nice, but its also creepy. She can't get past the idea that her boss wants to buy her underwear. To make matters worse, Pam overhears Karen ask Phyllis if a bra and panty set is "too much." Phyllis answers, "Jim's gonna love it." This is like a knife in Pam's heart. She watches Karen walk by with pain and jealousy gripping her face. The last thing Pam wants to hear about is any indication that Jim and Karen are sleeping together. It's enough to make her blood boil, but it also eats away at any hope she has of being with Jim.

Pam is clearly knocked down a few notches. She fiddles with the sleeve of a bathrobe and looks down. This is a bit of a blow to her confidence which is illustrated in her adjoining talking head. She tells the camera, "I'm kind of in between boyfriends right now. So I don't need anything sexy. But I do need some new hand towels. I figure I could cut up this robe." Pam knows she has the disadvantage when it comes to Jim. Karen is with him right now and she is not. She may have stood up to Karen in the food court, but Karen reminded her very quickly that Jim is taken.

This scene shows the fluidity Pam's moral center boundaries. At times she feels like she can take Karen on, but much of the time she feels trapped by her own sense of right and wrong. In this instance, Pam was reminded on the line in the sand that prevents her from making a move while Jim is with Karen. Luckily, Pam doesn't let this get her down for very long. Her humor about cutting up the bathrobe is an indicator that she is strong enough to weather the storm Karen just threw at her.

In the Van:

On the trip back to the office, Michael's cell phone rings with Jan on the other end of the line. Michael starts to panic and can't decide if he should answer his phone. Karen is the first to offer advice and tells him to answer it. Pam immediately contradicts her and tells him not to answer his phone. Despite the blow dealt to her in Victoria's Secret, Pam is determined not to be intimidated. She is reasserting herself in front of Karen, even if in very small terms. To Pam's credit, Michael followed her advice and didn't answer his phone. Pam won this round, which undoubtedly rebuilt some of her confidence.

Tire Talking Head:

Pam gets another shot of confidence when she successfully changes a flat tire on Meredith's van. She took charge of the situation when it was apparent she was the only one with tire installation know how. Pam beamed with confidence in her talking head. She happily proclaimed, "You know, I changed a tire today. All by myself. This bathrobe's already coming in handy." Pam was sure to mention that she did it all by herself. It's important for Pam to feel self sufficient at this point in her life as this brings an immense amount of self confidence.

Pam's humor continues to carry her through the day as she continues her bathrobe joke. Apparently, she's decided to use it as a hand towel before cutting it up! She wipes the hair from her face and leaves an adorable grease streak across her forehead as she is called back to the van. She bounces back to the van with her body language continuing to illustrate her internal pride.

The Elevator:

During Michael's talking head he says he wishes for Pam to gain courage. This statement is already poignant as viewers have been waiting for Pam to build courage all season. What makes it all the more powerful is how it overlaps Pam making her way to the elevator. The doors are closing as she runs up and pushes the button to force the door back open. Jim and Karen are standing inside the elevator as Pam waits for the doors to open. It so symbolic in that just as Michael wishes for her courage, Pam is faced with her largest obstacles. Everything she wants is standing right in front of her as is the impediment(s) that stands in her way.

The symbolism lies in Pam running for that elevator button. Pam is rapidly approaching her moment of courage. The button reopened the elevator door, the same way honesty has the possibility of opening Jim's heart. It's also highly symbolic that Pam catches the doors just before they close. It's been said that Pam is running out of time. If she doesn't tell Jim how she feels soon, she is going to loose him completely. Hence, the doors to his heart will be closed forever. Karen's presence in the elevator helps to again show that Pam is not intimidated. Pam is eventually going to get on the "elevator" with Jim regardless of Karen's status with him. It's just a question of when and courage.

The Bottom Line:

Pam is gaining more and more confidence which leads to more personal strength. With confidence and strength comes courage.

- - -

JAM Optimist:

1) Pam is continuing heightened subtlety and was successful in getting Jim's attention.
2) Pam is filled to brim with confidence and strength
3) Pam is not intimidated by Karen
4) Moral center boundaries are continuing to shift

JAM Pessimist:

1) Pam still needs to find her courage
2) Karen is still an impediment
3) Pam's confidence is not infallible

JAM Song of the Week:

This is one of my favorite songs and it happens to fit JAM perfectly, too!

Far Away
Artist: Nickelback
Album: All the Right Reasons

Questions to Ponder:

1) How aware is Pam of the distance that exists between Jim and Karen?

2) Is Pam aware of her own strength?

3) Why didn't Pam talk to Jim about her prank on Dwight?

4) At this point, how would Pam handle a confrontation from Karen?

5) Can Pam find her courage on her own or does she need a little help?
End Notes:
Commonly Used Acronyms:
PD = Pam Dichotomy,
JP = Jim Paradox,
CN = Casino Night,
FNB = Fancy New Beesly,
QTP = Questions to Ponder



This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter 23: Beach Games by scrantonbranch
Pam's feat of running across hot coals is nothing compared to her monumental accomplishment of courageously speaking from her heart. She has slowly been building strength and confidence all season long as she faced the trials and tribulations of transforming into FNB. It's safe to say Pam has truly found herself and isn't afraid to show the world or Jim. Pam's speech may have been directed primarily at Jim, but is was all about her. Pam's honesty was for Pam and no one else.

Pam's new wave of honesty has steadily grown since The Negotiation, however she lacked the courage to express that honesty externally. The twin problems of Jim's apparent indifference and the lack of an opportunity added to Pam's hesitation to speak her mind. A catalyst was needed to trigger FNB into action, however it remained elusive until Beach Games. Pam's internal truth was already on the brink of bursting, but she needed someone or something to give her that extra little push. The stars aligned just right and instead of just one catalyst, Pam is prodded by a series of events ranging from Michael's antics of relegating her to the background to watching Jim with Karen and of course, her jaunt across hot coals. This combined series of catalysts cause Pam's built up strength and confidence to transform into courage.

The largest catalyst however, came from within. Pam overcame her largest fear in that she no longer needed Jim to reciprocate her sentiments. Her speech was never about asking Jim to be with her, rather it was simply about the need to be honest with him. Pam willingness to exhibit her deepest vulnerabilities is the epitome of strength and courage.

Michael's Assignment:

Instead of a fun day at the beach, Pam is expected to take notes on her co-workers' character and "indefinable qualities." And so goes Pam's idea of having fun on beach day. She is clearly deflated, but really has no recourse. Michael is her boss and he has given her a job. In her talking head she is resigned to the fact that her job is boring and therefore her day at the beach is going to be boring.

On the Bus:

Michael runs up to Pam after his "funtivities" speech to check on her progress. Pam is at a loss on what she is supposed to be writing down and instead focuses on her drawing. Michael makes a crack at her drawings and Pam feels his jab. Pam was obviously hoping Michael wasn't serious about taking notes and therefore busied herself with her art. She was already knocked down a peg or two with her assignment and now Michael is picking on her further. Pam does little as her tolerance level with Michael is higher than most.

Picking Teams:

As everyone arrives at the beach and settles in, Michael calls for everyone to gather together. Michael informs the group that they will be playing a series of games in Survivor-esque fashion. Michael informs the group that they will be divided into four "tribes" with Jim, Dwight, Andy, and Stanley as team leaders. He tells the team leaders to choose their teams but is quick to say, "Except for Pam. Not Pam." Pam is noticeably upset from being excluded. She turns and walks off to the side with her head down and her shoulders hunched. Pam wasn't so upset from not being able to play as she was about being excluded from the group. Michael essentially sent her off to spend the day alone.

From there, Pam had to watch as Jim picked Karen as his first teammate. Pam's jealousy was more than obvious as she watched Karen bounce over to Jim. She's obviously tired of watching Karen with Jim. She has to watch Karen spend time at Jim's desk on daily basis and it's obviously becoming wearisome to see on constant basis.
Pam is actually dealing with a double whammy of exclusion.

Ever since Jim returned to Scranton, she has felt his cold shoulder and basically has been excluded from his life. She's feeling the chill again as she watches Jim and Karen, but it's coupled with the still fresh feeling of exclusion that Michael bestowed upon her earlier. The parallels between Jim's cold shoulder and Michael's treatment of Pam are undeniable.

Egg Race:

As everyone engages in a blindfolded egg race, Pam is watching from the sidelines with her notebook. She watches as Jim plays a prank on Karen by leading her to take a step in the lake. Karen pulls off her blindfold and chases Jim up the shore. Jim runs away playfully as Karen throws her egg at him. Pam sits quietly as they laugh and run past her. This time, however, her face is not overrun with jealousy. She simply misses him. Nostalgia sets in as she feels the loss of his presence in her life. It wasn't very long ago that they shared similar moments of fun and laughter.

Pam's subsequent talking head reiterates her irritation with her role in beach day. Michael's voice is heard in the background, "Pam, you're missing things." Pam turns the page in her notebook and shakes the stiffness from her hand as she goes to write more notes for Michael, while everyone else partakes in beach day games. Michael's assignment has made her invisible to everyone but Michael. But Michael's attention is demeaning and irritating.

Pam feeling of non-existence is furthered when Dwight kicks sand in her direction while hollering at Ryan. It's as if she wasn't even there.

Hot Dogs:

As if Michael's note taking assignment wasn't enough, he decides to give Pam another project. Pam asks with light sarcasm if it has anything to do with the grocery bags full of hot dogs, to which Michael replies, "smart as a whip." Pam flashes a glance at the camera that says, I was being sarcastic you moron. Michael insulted her intelligence and Pam is further annoyed with Michael's second class treatment of her. FNB knows she's worth more than being pushed to the background. However, Pam's threshold for Michael's antics is still in place as she directs her attention to the grocery bags with a high amount of frustration. Her "fun" day at the beach has been nothing more than notes, exclusion, and now cooking.

Sumo Wrestling:

Pam gets a few moments to enjoy the days events as she watches Jim and Stanley in the Sumo Wrestling ring. Stanley plows down Jim, sending him to the ground face first and bouncing. Pam can't help but find the humor in Jim's tumbling defeat as she laughs and smiles at him. Jim hasn't even so much as glanced at her and she needs to find a way to connect to him and get his attention. This is the only way she knows how. Even though he didn't acknowledge her, she still found a way to be with him.

Coal Walk Talking Head:

The final game of Beach Day is Michael's courage test of walking across coals. Michael tries to motivate the group by telling everyone a great manager needs courage, but might as well have been talking directly to Pam. Pam has found everything from emotional honesty, confidence, and self-assertiveness, but she lacked the courage to translate these traits to Jim. After Stanley has decided he's not going to participate Michael says, "the rest of us will have a super fun time defeating our fear . . . walking through fire." Michael may have been referring to the game, but symbolically this is referring to Pam.

As night falls, the coals are red hot and fire flanks the coal walk. Michael continues his rant of trying to find the one who has the "guts to replace" him as manager. In Michael's demented mind anyone brave enough to cross the hot coals can do his job. Everyone looks at the hot coals with hesitation and fear, except Pam. She looks at the camera and says, "I'm gonna do it. And I fully expect to burn my feet and go to the hospital. That's the right spirit when doing a coal walk, right?" Pam smiles widely as she finishes her declaration. There isn't a hint of hesitation or fear in her eyes. Pam is tired of being in the background and being invisible, not only today, but everyday. She is tired of being thought of as just a fly on the wall.

This is her chance to break out of the role that has characterized her life for so long. Not only that, she has felt invisible to Jim since he came home, with the exception of a few moments, and she wants to show him FNB. Heightened subtlety is getting bumped up a notch as Pam's courage begins to surge. Above all, Pam needs to do this for herself. Pam feels all this strength and confidence surging through her veins and she can't help but feel a sense of adventure. This has been a year of all kinds of firsts and tackling a coal walk is no different than calling off her wedding and starting over again. Pam's attitude in her talking head is highly symbolic of her new willingness to try something new, even if it hurts. This is the first time Pam has officially thrown caution to the wind.

Pam starts to untie her shoes, while her heart pumps with anticipation. Michael interrupts her preparation, "No, not you Pam. You have to keep score." Pam answers right back showing no intimidation, "I'd like to try it." Michael interrupts her and says, "Pointless." Pam fires right back again, "I'm not kidding, I really want to do it," as Michael talks over her nonsensical babbling to show her he thinks she's being ridiculous. Pam becomes frustrated and angry at Michael underestimation of her. She looks away from him and fold her arms as she accepts the fact that Michael will not allow her to walk.

Michael repeats that this about guts. It takes guts to be a regional manager," as he quickly glances at Pam. Pam knows Michael thinks she doesn't have guts. It's easy to see the knife turning in her heart as Michael reiterates his lack of faith in her. Michael has chipped away a few chunks of Pam's confidence. Pam knows she's made of tougher stuff than Michael gives her credit for. She realizes no one has taken notice of FNB.

Pam takes Michael's lack of faith in her two different ways. First, Michael is telling her she can't participate, just as he's excluded her from every game thus far. Secondly, he's telling her she literally can't do it. He doesn't believe in her and that hurts. Old Pam would've crawled back into her hole and waited for Jim to save her with kind words and encouragement. FNB may not be reliant on Jim believing in her any longer, but Pam does miss it to some extent. She has missed Jim all day long, (no to mention all season), and this incident helped create another feeling of loss in Pam's subconscious. FNB, however, is more concerned and determined to prove Michael wrong.

Pam Walks the Coals:

As the group gathers around in a circle, Pam remains at the coal walk. She leans down and feels the heat of the coals as she tries to rebuild the confidence Michael took away from her. She stares down the coals with stoic concentration. The hot coals are a representation of every struggle and every fear that has plagued Pam over the last year. She could just as easily be staring down Jim, Karen, or any of the numerous speed bumps that have caused her to back down throughout the season.

Pam knows she can do it, but she still harbors hesitation as anyone would getting ready to attempt a difficult task. Just as there is pain involved with crossing hot coals, there is pain involved with overcoming her emotional fears. If she wishes to overcome her fears she must walk over those coals where a new beginning awaits her. Her personal truth waits at the end of the coal walk. Pam may want to prove Michael wrong, but this is more for herself than anyone else. She wants prove to herself that she is as strong as she feels.

Pam shoots a playful grin at the camera that indicates she's pulled together the confidence to pull this off. She sprints across the coals and lands safely at the other end. Pam celebrates her accomplishment both surprised and proud of herself. She knew she could do it, but at the same time she's surprised she actually went through with it. Pam desperately wants to share her accomplishment with someone, but she is all alone. As a last resort, she looks at the camera with a "can you believe I did that" face. Adrenaline is blasting through her body as she runs towards the circle of co-workers intent on sharing her accomplishment.

Pam's Speech:

As Pam approaches the edge of the circle, she says, "Hey, I want to say something." She walks into the center of the circle as she is no longer willing to remain on the outskirts and invisible. She continues to say, "I've been trying to be more honest lately and I just need to say a few things." Thanks to Oscar and Gil Pam knows that her co-workers don't view her as being honest, so she is sure to get their attention with this opening. She is smiling brightly as the adrenaline is still pumping through her. Pam's original intent was to simply show Michael he was wrong about her and to let everyone know she walked the coals. She excitedly proclaims, "I just did the coal walk! Just . . . I did it!" Pam then stands up to Michael the only way she knows how, "Michael, you couldn't even do that. Maybe I should be your boss." This wasn't mean spirited, but it still told Michael that he should have "estimated" (hee hee) her.

Pam is proud of herself and she wants Michael to be proud of her, too. She even has an air of humor about it as she jokes that she should be his boss. Pam knows she just showed more courage and guts than anyone in the circle and Michael needs to know that, but Pam's compassionate side doesn't allow for her to jab too hard. After Pam stands up to Michael she feels even more proud of herself, "Wow, I feel really good right now." The adrenaline has yet to die down from the coal walk and now there is even more of it from sticking it to Michael. Adrenaline often breeds courage and impulsive behavior. Pam builds off the "high" she got from standing up to Michael and begins to wonder if she can stand up to everyone else.

For a split second, Pam digs deep and finds the courage to ask the group a question that's been eating at her since February. She takes a deep breath and lifts her head, "Why didn't any of you come to my art show? I invited all of you. That really sucked." Her brow is knotted the entire time, as the pain of that night comes back to her. For the first time she's letting everyone know just how much they hurt her. In particular, she was hurt that Jim didn't come. She didn't address him individually, because her focus is on the group at this juncture. She wanted the group to know she thought it was wrong of them to blow her off when she kindly invited them into her life. Pam asserts herself further by saying, "It's like sometimes, some of you act like I don't even exist." Pam's motivation for this statement is rooted in the still fresh frustration from the way Michael treated her all day. Michael's exclusionary practices allowed for everyone to ignore her. No one stepped up and asked Pam join in the games.

However, Pam has a far deeper impetus to voice this feeling as she has felt invisible to Jim ever since he returned to Scranton. Even though she is making eye contact with everyone else but Jim, her statement is geared at him on an internal level. In fact, it triggers her realization that she is tired of Jim's cold shoulder. Still riding the wave of adrenaline from the coals and standing up to Michael and the group, Pam spins around and focuses her attention on Jim. It was never her intent to confront Jim at this point. It was a split second decision brought on by increased confidence of her accomplishments in the circle. Pam has a million things she knows she needs to tell Jim, but the opportunity never presented itself, until now.

Of all the things she needs to tell him, she chose the one thing she knew he needed to know. She looks him square in the eye and says, "Jim, I called off my wedding because of you." She knows she should have told him a long time ago and her statement carries traces of guilt for keeping it to herself for so long. However, she needed him to know for herself more than anything. It's been eating at her for almost a year and she needed to get it out in the open. Pam has figured out that Jim's cold shoulder is from pain, and not the product of actual indifference. The break room in The Negotiation helped her put two and two together a month ago. She knows the truth may help to melt the ice.

Pam continues, "And now we're not even friends. And things are just like weird between us, and that sucks." Pam's pain is again apparent as her face is knotted as she exhibits her vulnerability. Her voice is soft as she wants Jim to know she isn't angry. She wants Jim to know the distance is hurting her. Pam may love Jim, but she misses his friendship above all else. She mirrors Jim's parking lot statement from The Merger, "I just feel like things were a little weird today." Pam was unable to admit he was right, but she has no qualms about bringing it to his attention now. In effect, she is finally admitting to him he was right. The awkwardness that has plagued relations between them is finally starting to get to Pam. This is her way of throwing down the white flag. Her statement, "and that sucks" is letting him know she wants to work past the weirdness. She knows things are they way they are and there isn't much she can do about it, but she still wants to make peace.

She goes on to tell him, "And I miss you. You were my best friend before you went to Stamford. And I really miss you." The pain on her face is more pronounced. Her "I miss you's" drip with her heartbreak. She is again letting Jim know she is hurting. His cold shoulder may be justified, but it is hurting her. She could have easily been telling him "I love you" instead of "I miss you," but the simple truth is she misses him more than she loves him at this point. Pam wasn't holding back anything. She told Jim exactly what was at the forefront of her mind and heart. Even if she can never be with him, she needs his friendship back in her life. Pam needs Jim to know this above all else.

Pam's unplanned speech then wanders back to Roy and her cancelled wedding. Pam feels the need to explain herself further, but she isn't sure how to do so. She first admits to Jim, "I shouldn't have been with Roy . . ." She shakes her head in a way that scolds herself for making such a mistake. She is referring to her original relationship with Roy as well as her return to him at Phyllis's Wedding. She knows she was wrong and this is her attempt of letting Jim know she's aware of her mistake. Jim's reaction to her in The Negotiation is at the root of her statement. She recalls all to well, Jim's cold reaction to the topic of Roy in the break room. Pam is telling Jim she shouldn't have picked Roy over him on Casino Night. She knows she can't discuss the details of that evening with everyone around her, but her admission carries enough undertones for Jim to understand what she means.

She goes on, " . . . and there were a lot of reasons to call off my wedding. But the truth is, I didn't care about any of those reasons until I met you." Again, Pam is choosing her words carefully. She is basically telling Jim she knows Roy was wrong for her, while also admitting she knows Jim is the right man. In a small way, Pam is also thanking Jim for showing her error of staying with Roy. Jim showed her what she really deserves. The public nature of Pam's speech doesn't allow for Pam to use as much detail as she would like, but she is hoping the meaning of her words will still reach Jim. Pam regards the events of Casino Night as being private and she doesn't want her co-workers to be know about such an intimate moment between herself and Jim. It's very special to her and she wants to keep it that way, rather than see it become a target of gossip and trivialization.

Pam's honest train of thought continues with "And now you're with someone else, and that's fine." Pam knows she blew it on Casino Night and this her way of showing Jim she is aware of that fact. She has already resigned herself to the fact that she probably doesn't have a chance with him. It does, in fact, bother her that Jim is with Karen, but Pam knows this is not the time or place for jealousy. Her honesty is not about winning Jim . Pam continues with, "It's . . . whatever. That's not what I'm . . . I'm not . . . okay my feet really hurt." Pam's train of thought got off track and she is flustered. She breaks eye contact and her nerves take over. She doesn't want her statements to be construed as her trying to steal Jim away from Karen. Her pang of jealousy through her for a loop, but, Pam already knows his relationship with Karen is not her call, nor is it even any of her business. She doesn't expect him to do or say anything.

Pam is essentially saying, "I'm not doing this to be with you." The whole point of Pam's speech is to clear the air with Jim. All she wants is the friend she misses. It's her equivalent of Jim's infamous Casino Night statement, "I just needed you to know." Her honesty up to this point was directed at Jim, but it is entirely for Pam. With her aching feet screaming for some relief, Pam regains her composure to reiterate her sentiments, "The thing that I'm just trying to say to you, Jim, and to everyone else in the circle, I guess, is that I miss having fun with you. Just you, not everyone in the circle." This emanates from a day of watching him have fun with Karen all day, as well as months of feeling the void of his absence that has likely existed since the day after CN. Pam is again sending the honest message that she misses him above all else. She wants her friend back, despite the mess that exists between them. It's at this point that Pam realizes there is nothing more for her to say. She nods with finality as she no longer feels the burden of the truth beating at the door to get out.

She lets out a breath and light heartedly says, "Okay, I am gonna go walk in the water now." She is smiling again as she feels the rush of a lighter soul. She feels better than she's felt in a long time. She can walk away from this knowing she told Jim what she needed to tell him and has no regrets. She smiles at herself with pride and says, "yeah, it's a good day." She tosses a quick glance at Jim to reassure him he doesn't have to say anything. Pam's tone throughout her speech is one of no expectations. She didn't expect Jim to run up to her and take her in his arms. She didn't even expect or need him to say anything. She just needed to tell him what was on her mind. This is a huge accomplishment for Pam, considering she didn't need anyone's acceptance of her thoughts. She just needed Jim to listen to her. Pam jets towards the lake to cool the pain of her feet with cold water the same way her honesty cooled the pain of her heart.

- - -

The Bottom Line:

Pam put the ball back in Jim's court.

JAM Song of the Week:

Closer
Artist: Travis
Album: The Boy With No Name

JAM Optimist:

1) Pam found her courage and herself.
2) Pam was honest with Jim.
3) Pam is FNB


JAM Pessimist:

1) Jim is a variable -- we have no idea what he's thinking or how he'll react once the shock wears off

Questions to Ponder:

1) Does Pam owe any further explanation to Jim? Did she need to say anything more?

2) Did Pam violate the boundaries of her moral center? How did Karen's presence affect her speech?

3) How different would Pam's speech be if she were alone with Jim? Would the speech have happened at all without the group?

4) How will Pam's behavior change in the office? Is she done being invisible for good?

5) Should Pam wait for Jim to come to her or should she approach him? Does she need him to come to her?
End Notes:
Commonly Used Acronyms:
PD = Pam Dichotomy,
JP = Jim Paradox,
CN = Casino Night,
FNB = Fancy New Beesly,
QTP = Questions to Ponder



This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter 24: The Job, Part 1 by scrantonbranch

The analysis for this episode will be written in three parts. There is a lot to dissect, so breaking it down into small pieces will give us a chance to discuss every little thing! 

The strength Pam exhibited in Beach Games has carried through to become a permanent fixture of her personality.  FNB is firmly entrenched as Pam's new mode of operation.  Her confidence is at an all time high and shows no signs of weakening.   She has truly found herself and no one can take that away from her.  In one of the most telling scenes in The Job, her co-workers teased her about beach day comments. 

In true FNB fashion, Pam's self assurance left no room for self-pity.  The tide has turned, leaving Old Pam as a thing of the past.  She hasn't a hint of regret for her comments or any FNB actions.  Pam is comfortable and confident with herself.  It's taken a rough year of self-discovery for Pam to reach this point and she is clearly reaping the benefits. For the first time in her life, Pam isn't intimidated by anyone in the office.  She's comfortable being herself in any situation, which is a huge shift from just a year ago. 

This in turn creates comfort regarding her feelings for Jim.  Pam knows how she feels and is no longer afraid of it.  However, she is very accepting of her current status with Jim.  Boundaries still exist no matter how much confidence or courage courses through her veins.  Pam understands Jim's point of view and his pain.  She created an open door and cleared the air on beach games, which allows for her to repair the friendship/relationship she needs with him.   She is at peace with the fact that she may never recapture the closeness that previously existed between them, but she has repaired the rift.  

If nothing more ever happens between them, Pam can walk away knowing the relationship between them is open and positive, rather than awkward, tense, and painful.  Pam is able to find happiness with this goal, as she has learned she can't expect Jim to come running back to her.  She has learned she alone is responsible for her own happiness.  Whether or not things happen with Jim is surely on her mind, but she doesn't rely on the outcome to this situation to determine her happiness.  Jim would simply be icing on a cake that took Pam a year to bake.

 Special Note: The beach day flashback scenes will be analyzed in chronological order, rather than as they appeared in the episode.  This ordering not only provides stronger continuity between Beach Games and The Job, but also allows for a better understanding of Pam's emotional status and behavior.

Beach Scene #1 - Jim responds to Pam:

From Beach Games analysis:

She nods with finality as she no longer feels the burden of the truth beating at the door to get out.  She lets out a breath and light heartedly says, "Okay, I am gonna go walk in the water now."  She is smiling again as she feels the rush of a lighter soul.  She feels better than she's felt in a long time.  She can walk away from this knowing she told Jim what she needed to tell him and has no regrets.  She smiles at herself with pride and says, "yeah, it's a good day."  She tosses a quick glance at Jim to reassure him he doesn't have to say anything.  Pam's tone throughout her speech is one of no expectations.  She didn't expect Jim to run up to her and take her in his arms.  She didn't even expect or need him to say anything.  She just needed to tell him what was on her mind.  This is a huge accomplishment for Pam, considering she didn't need anyone's acceptance of her thoughts.  She just needed Jim to listen to her.  Pam jets towards the lake to cool the pain of her feet with cold water the same way her honesty cooled the pain of her heart.

The last thing Pam expected was for Jim to follow her down to the water.  He walks to the shoreline and silently takes his place next to her.  She doesn't look at him, as she figures she has said enough.  She may not expect Jim to respond to her earlier statements, but in all actuality it is his turn to speak.  She just dropped a huge bomb on him and Pam obviously feels a little bit of angst as he allows a pause before he begins to speak.  She knows she did the right thing and she has no regrets, but she is still a little nervous about what he will say in response.  Jim lightly asks her "How are your feet?"  Pam takes this opportunity to bring a little humor to the situation to ease her nerves as well as Jim's.  She keeps her head focused on her feet as she answers, "Medium rare, thanks." 

She then looks up at him and smiles, to let him know things don't have to be awkward between them. She wants to put him at ease to allow him an opportunity to speak freely with her without worry of getting hurt or feeling the need to put up his wall.  Humor has always been a connecting factor, which has allowed Jim and Pam to communicate on various levels in the past.  Pam's small comment was enough to keep the air clear and the door open as they embark on a very difficult subject of conversation.  Jim smiled in response to her comment and is noticeably more at ease.

Pam looks back down at her feet and waits for him find his words.  She makes eye contact with him as soon as he says, "The real reason I went to Stamford, was because I wanted to be . . . not here."  Pam nods slightly for her initial response and simply replies, "I know."  She's always known Jim left for Stamford because of her, but it's only recently that she understood just how much he was hurting from the events of Casino Night.  Jim's statement carries a deeper meaning and Pam picks up on that as well.  Jim is essentially telling Pam he left because he didn't want to deal with the distance, awkwardness, and the pain that resulted from Casino Night.  It's taken Pam the better part of a year to see Jim's perspective in this regard.  The relationship is fractured and filled with uncertainty.  Neither knows how to act around the other as previous open lines of communication are wrought with disconnections.  As a result, both are hurting each other unintentionally. 

 The frustration in Jim's voice matches Pam's nod as she agrees with his assessment of their situation.  Pam knows things can't go back to the way they were, but she hopes a relationship of some kind can still be salvaged if honesty exists between them.   It's here that she knows Jim isn't happy with the situation either, and he misses her, too.  This comforts Pam immensely and also adds to her confidence.

He continues to say, "And even though I came back, I just feel like I've never really . . . come back."  Pam can literally feel Jim's pain as he speaks and it's all over her face.  She is touched by the fact that Jim is showing some vulnerability around her, considering she's spent months smacking up against the tough exterior of his wall.  She is also comforted by the fact that she isn't the only one that knows Jim hasn't been himself since he came back to Scranton.  She nods slightly at him and clenches her chin and she decides how to respond to his honesty.  Pam's face is sympathetic to him, but she is still teeming with determination to be honest with him at all costs.

Jim's honesty and vulnerable admission gave Pam the confidence she needed to take things a little bit further.  She felt him grace to borders of her world, but she knows he can't find his way through the fog.  Pam takes this opportunity to be bold and lights the signal fire, "Well,  I wish you would."  Her tone is strong, yet warm as she locks her eyes with his.  She's making sure he doesn't wiggle away from her at such a critical moment. 

Pam is again extending the sentiment that she misses him, but she is sending a much stronger message this time.  Pam is making it very clear to Jim that she not only misses his absence, but she misses Old Jim.  She liked (loved) him the way he was and wants that guy to come back.  Pam is now aware that Jim isn’t happy and that concerns her a great deal.  Her simple yet poignant statement is meant to show him he can still come back and she'll be waiting for him.  It’s important he knows the door is open, but she’s careful not to force him through it as she gives him a little nudge.

 Beach Scene #2 - The Hug:

Pam’s first talking head overlaps a flashback that shows the rest of what happened at the beach.  There is a huge gap between Pam’s “I wish you would” and the friendly hug they share.  Pam tells the camera that Jim told her “he missed my friendship, too.  And I would always mean a lot to him.”  Jim’s exact words aren’t known, and neither is Pam’s exact response. 

However, the hug itself does provide some clues.  The hug is very friendly, but also very close as both hang onto each other tightly.  Pam holds on tight with both arms.  Even after the hug is over, both keeping one hand on the other for a few seconds.  Pam’s left hand lingers on his back.  It felt good to be so close to him and she doesn’t want to let him go, but she knows she must.  Pam’s face is decidedly relieved as the air remains clear and things are warmer between them.  His response more than she expected and she is happy that he responded in such a positive way.   Pam walked away from the beach knowing she will not have to face Jim’s cold shoulder anymore.

Jim’s Haircut:

Pam is busy talking to Kevin and Meredith when Jim walks in sporting his new haircut.  Pam is surprised at Jim’s new look.  She smiles in his direction, but she’s not sure what to make of it.  It doesn’t look like “him.”  There’s no doubt he looks great, but to Pam it’s another indicator that the Old Jim she misses so much is disappearing more and more.  Her Jim wears his shirts with the sleeves rolled up, his ties askew, and his hair flops happily over his forehead. 

Pam is curious to hear the reason behind his new look, but Jim never offers an explanation.  Instead, she watches both Kevin and Meredith give him a hard time about his makeover.  Kevin tells him he looks “worse” while Meredith tells him he looks “sexy hot.”  Andy then steps in and proclaims Jim’s new nickname to be “Big Haircut.”  Pam is quick to sense that all these comments are making Jim immensely uncomfortable and self-conscious. 

She calls out to him, “Hey, I think it looks great.”  Pam knew Jim needed a compliment.  She is careful to keep it casual, so as to not make him any more self-conscious.  However, she manages to instill warmth in her tone to ease his discomfort.  She’s not sure if she really likes it, but nonetheless she wanted to offer her support.  He thankfully accepts her compliment and sends a little non-verbal message of “I really needed that,“ and she understood.  The camera pans back to Pam and her face wears a smile, but her eyes are nostalgic.  Despite the haircut and suit, Pam still saw a little piece of the shy and self conscious Old Jim who needed her. 

Talking Head #1:

Pam’s face is vibrant as she continues to exude confidence.  She tells the camera, “After I had my little outburst at the beach, Jim was really nice about it.”  It’s immediately apparent that Pam still has no regrets for what she said and did at the beach.  She is, in fact, proud of herself.  She smiles as she speaks and maintains eye contact with the camera.  There isn’t a hint of embarrassment or self-doubt.  This is all the more proof that Pam was honest with Jim for herself and nothing else. 

Pam then starts to paraphrase some of the things Jim said to her at the beach, “He just basically said that he missed my friendship too.”  It means a lot to her that he openly acknowledged he missed her, too.  She’s not alone in missing their friendship and that is incredibly comforting.  Pam continues to say, “And I would always mean a lot to him.”  Her voice softens as she is warmed by the fact that she holds a special place in his heart.  It’s more than she ever expected and she’s thankful for her little corner in Jim’s world. 

She then replies, “And I understand where he is coming from.”  Pam isn’t hurt by Jim’s reaction at all.  It was more than she expected and she is at peace with how things are between them.  Pam hit a new level of awareness in Beach Games which has carried through to The Job.  The motivations for her outburst were to simply be honest, but she walked away with a sense of relief and a new acceptance of her situation with Jim.  Pam now fully understands that Jim’s heart was broken and she is at the root of his pain.   She’s learned to accept the fact that his emotional status is the direct result of her actions on Casino Night.  She has owned up to her past mistakes and has forgiven herself. 

All she can do is let him know she is aware she hurt him and try to salvage to friendship with open communication.  Pam realizes the healthy thing to hope for is the friendship and she has the patience she foster that relationship.  It doesn’t mean she’s giving up on him, it simply means she knows there isn’t much else she can do besides leaving the door open.  She can’t push too hard, if at all.  Pam has essentially told herself, “I hurt him and I can’t expect too much from him right now.“ She has to accept the situation as it stands for her own sanity and well-being. 

Pam has already figured out how to make herself happy and she wants to the same for Jim, whether he decides to stay with Karen or return to her.  If it happens with Jim she’ll be thrilled, but if it doesn’t she will still be happy with herself.  As Pam recalls the events of beach day, her voice overlaps the hug she shares with Jim on the shoreline.  Her face is one of relief, but it also carries her new understanding of Jim.  A new line of open communication was opened that night.  Both realized that the other was hurting and that provided a place to start rebuilding, at the very least, a friendship. Pam is at the point where she’ll be happy for positive relations with Jim that aren’t awkward and cold. 

Pam’s confidence and self assertiveness shines through again as she declares “For the record, I am not embarrassed at all. She again maintains strong eye contact with the camera.  There’s no doubt she means what she says.  This isn’t for show, but rather a true representation of Pam’s feelings.  She is done hiding from the camera or anyone else.  She takes it further and says, “It needed to be said and I said it.”  Pam is again reiterating she has no regrets and knows she did the right thing for herself regardless of how things turn out with Jim.  Her relationship with Jim may have improved but the most important aspect of all is the fact that she came out of this with a clear conscious and new stronger sense of self. 

Pam caps off her talking head with a final self realization, “And it only took me three years to summon the courage.  So, thank you.” as she takes a little bow to celebrate her courage and confidence.  The courage Pam speaks of is about being honest with Jim.  In a sense, she is admitting she loved Jim from the start, but that’s not what she’s emphasizing in her statement.  As during her speech in Beach Games, she misses Jim more than she loves him.  Right now, it’s more important to establish an open and honest line of communication that can repair their relationship.  Pam wasn’t able to do this during the previous three years due to her commitment to Roy and her own fears.  She paid the ultimate price of losing her best friend, as well as the man she loves. 

Pam broke through both of these barriers in the last year and she’s ecstatic.  By creating a new honest foundation, the friendship/relationship is already starting off better than it was three years ago.  She’s made huge gains in representing herself in a more open and honest manner.  Pam is proud of the woman she has become.  It feels good to have the courage to be honest on both the inside and the outside.  For the first time in her life, she is comfortable in her own emotional skin.  She has no expectations beyond being happy and she’s learned her happiness is in her own hands.  Whatever happens, happens and she’s a better person no matter the outcome with Jim.

Apologizing to Karen:

Pam is next seen making her way to the break room.  She looks a little nervous, but she is undaunted by the task at hand.  Pam was looking for Karen as her talking head likely reminded her she needed to talk to her about the events of beach day.  Pam takes a deep breath before she enters the room to prepare herself for the inevitable confrontation.  Despite the tension, Pam is not intimidated.  She knows she has to do this, given the fact that Karen is involved with Jim.  She gives her shirt a final tug and holds her hands in front of her before she begins speaking. 

Pam greets her with a soft “hey.”  She fidgets a little bit on her feet, unsure of where to begin.  She finally says, “Um . . . about the beach . . .”  Her tone is low and even a little sweet, but it does not denote weakness.  Her nerves are noticeable, but her confidence is still steady.  Pam is has the intention of being as friendly and warm with Karen as she possibility can given the complicated circumstances.  Before Pam can finish her sentence, Karen interrupts, “It’s okay.  We all say things without thinking.” 

Pam’s demeanor immediately changes.  She didn’t care for Karen’s condescending comments at all.  Her confidence and courage overtake her nerves as she stands up for herself.  She is quick to fire right back, “Oh no, it’s not that  I’ve actually been thinking that for a long time.  And I’m glad I said it,” as she maintains strong eye contact with Karen.  Pam’s statement and facial expression both send the message to Karen that she never had any intention of apologizing for her beach day speech.  Furthermore, she’s not sorry for her relationship with Jim.  Pam is letting Karen know she will not be intimidated the way she was in Ben Franklin.  Karen was able to push her around in the kitchen and Pam won’t stand for it this time around. 

Pam rides the surge of her confidence a little further and tells Karen, “I just . . I’m sorry if it made you feel weird.”  There is a noticeable edge in Pam’s voice.  She probably wouldn’t have been so blunt if Karen hadn’t interrupted her.  Pam is irked at Karen’s attempt to put words in her mouth.  The FNB in her made sure Karen fully understood her stance on the situation.  She is not going anywhere.  Karen may be with Jim, but Pam is not giving up her stake in him.  Jim is at the very least her friend, and she’s not going to lose that again. 

Pam’s final statement was essentially telling Karen, “there is more going on here than you realize and I’m not going away.”  Aside from the edge in Pam’s tone, there was also a layer of pride that is reminiscent of her talking head, when she said, “It needed to be said and I said it.”  Pam needed to establish herself as Karen’s equal and it felt great.

Getting Teased in the Break Room:

Pam later heads into the break room to grab a tea bag.  The room is full of her co-workers taking their break.  Oscar is the first to speak, “Hey Pam, I've been meaning to say something to you.  I really miss our friendship.”  Pam doesn’t take offense and is quick to find the humor in Oscar’s joke, “Ha ha, that’s very funny.“  Her voice is light hearted as she smiles with twinkling eyes.  As she said in her talking head, she is not embarrassed.  Oscar put her to the test and she passed with flying colors. 

Pam continues to be proud of her actions and she can even laugh at herself.  Stanley then says, “I’ve never heard you talk that much.  I thought it was Kelly.”  He is teasing her a little bit, but he also sounds impressed with the new Pam.  The camera doesn’t catch Pam’s reaction, but his statement undoubtedly added to Pam’s confidence.  Kelly reacts to Stanley saying, “Are you kidding?  I would never have done that.  It was pathetic-ville.  No offense, Pam.”  Not even Kelly’s jab phased Pam.  She simply smiled and acknowledged Kelly’s “no offense” comment.  She knows she did what needed to be done and it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks.  

Aside from this, Pam’s relationship with her co-workers has changed.  She is no longer invisible or the little mouse that hides behind her desk.  Her beach day speech was initially directed at them and she is beginning to see the results of being open and honest with everyone, not just Jim. 

- - -


Questions to Ponder:

1) How will Pam’s relations with Karen change?  Did she do the right thing in talking to Karen about the beach day speech?

2) Does Casino Night still need to be discussed or did the shoreline conversation (Beach Scene #1) cover all the bases? 

3) Can Pam truly be happy if Jim is nothing more than a friend? Why or Why not? 

4) Will Pam “fix” Jim’s hair?  Does she want to? 

 

End Notes:

Commonly Used Acronyms: PD = Pam Dichotomy, JP = Jim Paradox, CN = Casino Night, FNB = Fancy New Beesly, QTP = Questions to Ponder

This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation.  Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Chapter 25: The Job, Part 2 by scrantonbranch

As established in Part 1, FNB is firmly entrenched as a permanent fixture in Pam's personality.  She is brimming with strength, confidence, and most importantly happiness.  Although, Pam has found internal happiness, she is not invincible.  In the middle segment of The Job, Pam is faced with several situations that test her strength and prod her vulnerabilities.  Her happiness isn't foolproof and she has holes where jealousy and sadness creep through.  However, Pam's metamorphosis into FNB has changed how Pam deals with her emotions.  She doesn’t hide from them anymore, nor does she allow them to control her.  Watching Jim and Karen is difficult, but she is able to handle it with thicker skin.  She still aches a little from Jim’s absence (as a result of their changed status), but it doesn’t hold her back or keep her from moving forward.  FNB has resolve and determination that was completely out of Old Pam’s grasp.  

As stated in Part 1, Pam can be happy without Jim, but it’s important to note she prefers to be with him.  She still loves him and that puts her in a tough spot. Pam has to learn how to be Jim’s friend when she wants “more than that.”  Just as Jim is faced with a decision, (see JP), Pam is faced with the decision to be happy or to be miserable.  By accepting herself and her situation Pam has made her choice to focus on being happy.  All she has to do now is plug the holes by learning her new role as Jim’s friend.  At this point, Pam realizes she can’t have the same “friendship” she had with Jim before.  She now knows that was more than a friendship and their current status won’t allow for that type of relationship.  With these realizations, Pam has found the strength and courage to push forward in her life with a smile.  She spent 10 years being held back and miserable and she’s not about to put herself in that position again.  Her situation with Jim is sometimes difficult, but she knows she is in a better place within herself. 

Karen’s Request:

After Pam’s earlier confrontation with Karen, she finds herself in front of Karen again.  Michael’s issues with Jan prompts him to ask Pam to gather all the women in the conference room, (except Meredith, she’s an alternate!).  She walks up to Karen’s desk on her way into the conference room.  She tells Karen, “So, uh, Michael needs us in the conference room.“  She’s a little nervous and she doesn’t make eye contact right away.  She fidgets with her notebook as she speaks but soon settles down. 

Her nerves are understandable given the fact she just had a very difficult conversation with Karen in the break room.  Pam is concerned about things being weird between the two of  them.  Any tension between herself and Karen will translate to Jim.  The last thing Pam wants is to clutter the air with tension again.  Her tone is very friendly and warm, but it’s also strong.  She wants to show Karen she isn’t a threat and that things don’t have to be difficult between them. 

Pam already knows they will never be BFF’s but she knows it’s important to keep things genial and civil.  Her strength in this scene isn’t obvious, but she is showing a huge amount of courage.  Instead of shying away from Karen she stood in front of her with grace.  Karen asks Pam, “Is it Jan again?”  Pam nods silently as she starts to head for the conference room again.  Pam thought she was in the clear and that everything was fine between them.  That is until Karen asks her, “Hey, um, before I leave tonight, would you mind making a half a dozen copies of Jim’s and my sales reports for our interviews tomorrow?”  Pam glances at the camera clearly annoyed that Karen is asking her do such a menial task.  The job is beneath her and knows Karen is doing this on purpose to put her in her place.  Pam says, “Uh, sure,” in response as she takes the paperwork from Karen.  She doesn’t really have choice about taking the job if she wants to avoid creating tension. Karen is throwing her weight around as Jim’s girlfriend to elevate herself and deflate Pam.   It’s an intimidation tactic that Pam is onto from the start and FNB won’t stand for it.  

Looking Karen straight in the eye Pam says, “I really hope you get the job.”  She again uses a very warm and friendly tone, but it’s also got a little force. Part of Pam’s well wishes are genuine, but her statement was more about leveling the playing field.  Pam knew Karen wanted to get her flustered the same way she did in the kitchen in Ben Franklin.  By staying cool and collected Pam is letting Karen know she can’t be intimidated or pushed down anymore.  Her well wishes are her answer to sending Karen this message without creating any tension.  However, in the back of her mind she’s telling Karen, Don’t even try it. Pam walks away from Karen’s desk knowing she kept her status as Karen’s equal.  

Conference Room:

Michael pleas with the women of the office for advice on what to do about Jan.  He explains that Jan wants to get back together.  Discussion ensues on what Michael wants and he says he doesn’t want to, but it’s clear to Pam he needs a little more of a push to stick to a decision.  She tells Michael, “This was a terrible relationship.  You were not happy when you were with her.”  Pam’s advice comes from her own experience.  She now has the hindsight of her relationship with Roy to understand that relationships are supposed to make you happy and not miserable. 

Her hindsight and understanding of her past opened up the path to the happiness she has today.  She goes on to say, “You’re so much happier now.”  Pam’s advice is again coming from her heart.  She figured this out for herself after a long year of struggling.  She is happier now with herself, even though she is not with Jim.  She leaves him with one more piece of advice, “Just go in there and be strong.”  She knows all about being strong.  She learned the importance of strength in life and how key it is to being happy. Old Pam wouldn’t be able to give this advice, but FNB knows what she is talking about! 

Jan’s “Big News”:

Jan emerges from Michael’s office with her new physique in clear view.  Pam is shocked and says, “Oh my God.”  She says it mostly to herself and doesn’t really expect anyone to respond to her, least of all Jim.  She is both surprised and thrilled when he turns around with a playful grin on his face.  She plays along happily by mouthing “Huge!” while miming a large chest with her hands.  He jokes back, “Bigger actually.” To which she whispers, “That’s crazy.”  Pam is soaking up this moment with Jim.   

The rest of the world likely disappeared for Pam as she shared a laugh with her Old Jim.  For this tiny moment, he came “back” from wherever he’s been hiding.  As always, humor connects Jim and Pam like nothing else.  She has him all to herself and she’s going to take it for all it’s worth.  Not wanting to lose the moment, Pam takes the joke further and mouths “Wow” with an animated face and further hand movement hoping to make him laugh again.  She succeeds as he smiles and quietly chuckles. 

Karen walks up to Jim and deflates Pam’s bubble.  Karen put herself right in Pam’s line of sight, effectively cutting Pam off from Jim.  She lost her moment with him.  It was a harsh reminder than things are different.  Better, but still different.  Pam is obviously saddened and jealous by Karen’s presence.  Despite her acceptance of the situation it’s still hard to watch Jim with Karen.  No matter how happy Pam is, it doesn’t negate the fact that she loves Jim and can’t be with him.  She may have found a way to be happy no matter his role in her life, but it’s still hard to let him go.  

In this instance it’s even more difficult because Karen abruptly interrupted her time with Jim.  It literally jolted Pam back to the reality that the Jim in front of her is not Old Jim.  Her face may have had jealousy written all over it, but her eyes also showed how much she misses him.  Pam is in the tough position of having to learn how to be Jim’s friend with Karen in the picture.  She is effectively finding herself in the same spot Jim resided in during Seasons 1 and 2.  Karen is to Pam what Roy was to Jim.  Pam has a more difficult task in that she has to find the new boundaries of the friendship.  The friendship may be repaired, but Pam is still having to grapple with the fact that she doesn’t have him to herself any longer.  The friend zone can’t operate the same way it did before Casino Night.  She’s bound to hit some bumps along the way and this scene is one of those bumps. 

Talking Head #2:

In reference to the previous scene Pam addresses her reaction to Jim and Karen, “No, it’s fine.  I’m sure it must have been weird for Jim when Roy and I were joking around. . . that one time.”  Pam is a little upset, but the FNB in her refuses to let it take her down.  It’s obvious she’s still jealous, but she’s also very understanding of the situation.  She says “it’s fine” because she knows it has to be fine.  She can’t get upset over Jim and Karen.  It will do nothing but bring her down.  If she wants to be happy, she has to accept Karen’s role in Jim’s life.  Interestingly, she is very empathetic to Jim’s past point of view.  She clearly understands where he is coming from both then and now.  Pam may not like watching Jim with Karen, but she understands why he is with her.   It doesn’t make it any easier to see him with her, but it does help Pam be more accepting of her reality. 

Pam jokes about her relationship with Roy with heavy sarcasm.  She still carries the understanding that her relationship with Roy was wrong.  Only now, she can see the humor of her mistakes.  Both aspects of her statement help Pam to realize she is better off where she is right now regardless of her status with Jim. 

Pam may have taken a new stance of being more open and honest, but she still hides some of her vulnerabilities in front of the camera.  She is clearly irked and jealous, but she is careful to shield these emotions.  This seems like Old Pam, but in all actuality it’s a combination of FNB and basic human nature.  FNB has the determination and resolve to be happy and that overrides everything else.  She allows the jealousy and sadness to run its course, but she will not allow either of those emotions run her life.  Aside from this, Pam hides her jealousy and sadness as per human nature.  Most people don’t like to broadcast their weaknesses and Pam is no different.  Especially since Pam feels so strong as a person.

Wishing Jim Luck:

As Jim heads over to the coat rack to grab his jacket, Dwight announces it’s time to begin the interview process for his #2.  Dwight’s lunacy switches on Pam’s sarcasm and she shoots a knowing glance towards Jim.  She is again grabbing a moment with him by sharing the humor that is Dwight.  It’s something they’ve always shared and it connect her to him, even if for a brief moment. 

Karen then starts heading towards the exit and tells everyone to wish her and Jim luck.  Dwight goes on a rant and tells everyone they can only wish Michael luck.  Of course, everyone completely ignores him!  Just as Jim and Karen start heading towards the door, Pam looks at Jim and wishes him, “Good luck.”  Her tone is very warm as she genuinely hopes things go well for Jim.  He replies, “Thanks” and smiles at her.  She liked it that he flashed her such a warm smile, so she smiles back at him lovingly.  As he walks out, she continues to stare at the door.  

Even though the air is clear, she still misses him.  It’s so hard to watch him move away from her and towards Karen both literally and figuratively.  She knows she could lose him again to New York, but the reality sets in that she has to let him go.  It all comes down to the old adage, “If you love someone, sometimes you have to let them go.”  She had her chance and she knows she blew it.  Accepting that fact entails the possibility that Jim may not be part of her life.  He’ll always be a friend, but a different friend than what she had before.  It’s a loss she has come to terms with, but it still hurts.  She is saddened again, but once more she doesn’t let it overrun her outlook on her life.

Talking Head #3

Pam’s odd mix of happiness and sadness is showcased best in her third talking head.  She starts out by saying, “I’m happy for him.  I hope he gets the job.  I really just want him to be happy.”  Pam genuinely wants Jim to be happy no matter the path he chooses.  Ideally, she would like the path to lead to her, but she’s already accepted the possibility that he won’t return to her.  Essentially, Pam wants Jim to find the same happiness she has found for herself.  She knows he’s not happy and that saddens her.  Her statement, “I hope he gets the job.” is genuine. Her tone is warm, but also a little hesitant.  If getting a new job in New York will make Jim happy, she really does want him to get the job.  Her hesitancy is rooted in the fact that she knows she will likely lose him completely if he moves away again.  However, she’s more concerned about Jim’s happiness than her own desire for his presence in her life.  

Pam then starts to ramble “And I know that sounds cliché, and I know saying it sounds cliché sounds cliché.  Maybe I’m being cliché, I don’t care.  “Cause I am what I am.  That’s Popeye.” She lost her train of thought as she is a little flustered.  She breaks eye contact with the camera as she struggles to regain her composure.  She is happy in general, but she was saddened to watch Jim leave.  Even though she wants him to happy, she is worried he’ll leave again for good.  She may want the best for him, but that doesn’t make it any easier to watch him walk out of her life.  It still hurts.  A little piece of her heart walked out that door.   She is trying to hide this from the camera. 

Once again, Pam is very conscious of her vulnerabilities.  Part of her is also wondering if Jim is doing the right thing.  She doesn’t know if this is what will truly make him happy, but she is willing to support his decision to go to New York.  Towards the end of her statement FNB recovers.  Her “popeye” statement “I am what I am” is Pam reminding herself that she has a lot going for herself, even without Jim.  She will be fine and she will happy.   FNB is strong enough to pull her through anything life throws at her.  Even losing Jim to Karen and New York.

The Bottom Line:

Pam loves Jim enough to let him go. 

- - -

JAM Song of the Week:

I heard this song while I was writing and the lyrics are all over Pam's face every time she looks at Jim.

Song: True Colors

Artist: Phil Collins

Album: Hits

 

Questions to Ponder:

1) What remains of Old Pam?  Do we have anything to worry about? Is Pam as strong as she thinks?

2) At this point, has Pam given up on any possibility of having a relationship that extends beyond friendship with Jim?  Why or Why not? 

3) Assess Pam’s behavior around Jim.  How well is she handling her status with Jim and the situation at hand?  Should she be doing anything differently?  Can she?

4) What does the friend zone entail from Pam’s perspective?  Do any aspects of the pre-CN friendship remain?  What has Pam learned about her new friendship with Jim? 

6) Does Pam think Jim can be happy in New York?  How about with Karen?

 

End Notes:

Commonly Used Acronyms: PD = Pam Dichotomy, JP = Jim Paradox, CN = Casino Night, FNB = Fancy New Beesly, QTP = Questions to Ponder

This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation.  Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Chapter 26: The Job: Part 3 by scrantonbranch

Pam summed herself up the best when she said, “I’m optimistic.”  Throughout The Job, FNB has shown her resolve to be happy despite the obstacles that stand in her way.  In the final segment of the episode, Pam’s resolve is further tested when she is faced with the very real possibility that Jim will not be in her life.  Pam continues to insist that she is fine and happy with the way things are between her and Jim, but in reality she is somewhat melancholy. She misses him and there‘s nothing she can do to get rid of that feeling except to let it run its course.  As a result, Pam finds ways to be with Jim when she can’t via humor and memories.  It’s a coping strategy that allows Pam to keep her head held high with the idea, “This too shall pass,“ (my grandmother’s favorite piece of advice). 

Pam is going to allow Jim’s influence to remain in her life while striking out on her own at the same time.   Pam spends her day “playing” with Dwight much in the same way she did while Jim was in Stamford (timing him with a thermometer, starting CIA letters, etc.).  Her actions may have Jim in mind, but Pam is also making the best of his absence by having fun and finding ways to smile on her own.  The key part in all of this is Pam’s further acceptance that she is flying solo.  Being with Jim is preferable, but not the only thing that completes her.     

She has already given some indicators that she will let Jim go if leaving is what makes him happy, but she is starting to realize it’s easier said than done.  She knows she misses him and she feels the pain of his absence.  Pam is starting to wade into rough and deep waters where it’s easy to lose her way.  Even though things are getting more difficult, Pam is resilient in having faith in herself.  She sees the hills and valleys in the path she has chosen and she’s not going to give up.  She knows happiness lies within herself and all she has to do is cultivate her own garden.  Pam’s most important realization is understanding the garden will not grow overnight. Gardens need time, sunshine, and a little rain.  Sometimes tears must fall to make room for joy.  Pam’s optimism is rooted in this realization.  She truly believes that she and everything else is going to be all right. 

Jim’s surprise reappearance in Pam’s life may have brought a wide smile to her face, but it doesn’t change the lessons she has learned about herself, (and continues to learn).  She knows how to be happy with herself and that is worth more than anything.  It took Pam a year to find her confidence and most importantly self worth.  Pam has a deep understanding of who she is and just how much strength she possesses.  FNB is something Pam will hold onto and perpetuate for the rest of her life.  Jim’s presence in her life only enhances what she’s already found.  The sadness she harbored from missing him is what disappears and gives her already virulent happiness room to grow. 

The Pam Dichotomy S3 has been all about exploring Pam’s emotional developments and their impact on JAM.  The optimist never lost faith in JAM, while the pessimist accepted the possibility that Jim and Pam would go their separate ways.  While this has been the guiding factor on the PD, Pam’s growth in Season 3 was all about her, not JAM.  Pam ultimately became FNB for herself.  Nonetheless, the optimist can stand tall in that FNB’s development paved the way for JAM to at least explore the possibility of a relationship that extends beyond friendship.  If anything, Pam’s new self awareness gives her the ability to love Jim better than she ever could have before. 

Dwight’s “Secret” Job:

In Dwight’s “office” Pam sits quietly as he slithers into a leadership role.  Dwight tells her, “You showed great leadership potential at the coal walk. Even if you did follow it with that embarrassing personal confession.”  Pam is immediately annoyed with Dwight’s perspective of her shoreline speech.  She nods and slightly smiles an irritated smile as she glances at the camera.  Her expression is one of, Here we go again. She’s tired of her co-workers jabbing her for her actions on Beach Day.  She doesn’t see it as embarrassing and it bothers her that other people see it that way.  She remains proud and considers it her shining moment.  Pam responds with a slightly sarcastic “Thank you,” which was really meant as a “thanks for nothing.”  Pam doesn’t appreciate Dwight’s jab, but she handles it with grace.  She has enough confidence to let his statement bounce right off of her.  Nonetheless, it still bothers her. 

She refocuses her attention on Dwight, hoping he’ll make his point soon so she can leave.  Dwight informs Pam, “I had to make Andy my number two. It's political, complicated, you wouldn't understand.”  Pam is immediately insulted that Dwight is treating her like a simpleton.  She looks squarely at Dwight with a pair of death ray eyes, I am not an idiot.  This is FNB’s way of letting Dwight know it’s not okay to treat her like a moron.  Of course, Dwight is completely oblivious to her irritation.  Her sarcasm is unmistakable as she awaits Dwight’s next statement,  “I want you... to be Assistant Regional Manager.”  Pam is surprised as she replies, “Really?”  She already knows there is something stupid attached to Dwight’s request, but she can’t ignore the enormous potential of the situation to have a little fun.  Dwight has already jabbed her twice and she can’t resist the temptation to get even and be amused at the same time. 

Dwight explains further, “Well, in a sense. Although, publicly I am going to retain the Assistant Regional Manager position.” Pam responds dryly, “You will be your own assistant,” but she is laughing quietly on the inside.  Just when she thought Dwight couldn’t be more insane he outdoes himself, “Correct, I need someone I can trust. But I would also like the title... to be secretly applied to you. Just stripped of its pomp and frills.” Pam listens intently outwardly, while FNB is planning how to make this fun on the inside.  Pam responds will playful sarcasm, “Okay. So... you would be the Regional Manager, and the Assistant Regional Manager. Andy is your number two. I would be the Secret Assistant Regional Manager.”  Pam’s humor completely kicks in once she speaks of her role in Dwight’s world.  A little smile peeks through as Pam speaks, she just can’t help herself.  This is just too good to be true.  Pam crafts her joke with just enough realism to make Dwight believe her while infusing enough sarcasm to amuse herself. 

An old joke steeped in Office lore spills from Dwight’s lips, “Mmmmmm, let's call it Secret Assistant to the Regional Manager.”  Pam plays along with Dwight’s seriousness with her own “Mmm-hmm,” while again laughing inside as she likely replayed every instance where “to the“ was a point of contention.   Dwight continues his lunacy and asks, “Do you accept?”  Pam is beside herself and can’t help but ask herself, What would Jim do?, as she responds, “Absolutely I do,” with as straight a face as she can muster.  She is ready to burst with laughter, but manages to keep it together.  She knows she’s got enough ammunition to enjoy herself for the rest of the day.  Although, she is thrilled with the prospect of messing with Dwight’s head, a part of her feels Jim’s absence.  She wants to share this with him, hear his laughter, and see his smile.

Talking Head #4:

Seeing as Pam can’t share what happened between herself and Dwight with Jim, she turns to the camera.  The feeling of nostalgia is quite apparent as Pam reminisces in a talking head that immediately follows her meeting with Dwight.  It’s obvious she misses Jim as she says,  “I learned from Jim, if Dwight ever asks you to accept something secret... you reply, ‘Absolutely, I do‘.”  Despite the sadness swirling around, Pam still manages to find the bright side of things.  FNB is determined to focus on positive memories rather than painful ones in order to keep herself afloat.  She can’t help but find the humor in Jim’s “lesson.”  She repeats the line “Absolutely, I do” with the same seriousness she pulled off with Dwight as a way to mimic Jim’s humor.  This is her way of keeping a piece of him with her. 

She can hardly keep a straight face as she remembers the events of The Alliance, where Jim likely told her every detail behind “Absolutely, I do.”   She’s thrilled she got to use this line in a real situation.  Jim’s humor is with her and it’s adding to her already present smile.  A touch of sadness is in her eyes, but FNB’s resolve remains firmly in place.  Pam knows Jim would have fun given the same circumstances and she is prepared to take it as far as he would.  As she speaks, she is quietly thinking of possible ways to play with Dwight as his Secret Assistant to the Regional Manager.  Pam has pulled pranks without Jim before (The Merger, A Benihana Christmas), and it appears she’s ready for another round on her own.

Schrute Buck/Talking Head #5:

Dwight demands the attention of his “subordinates” in the main office to introduce his new motivational tool: The Schrute Buck.  Pam is wearing a smile before Dwight even starts.  She knows he’s going to give her some major entertainment.  Pam dons her best sense of humor as she puts her hand up and asks, “What is the value of a Schrute buck?”  Her enthusiasm is obviously fake and dripping in sarcasm as Pam is stealthily mocking Dwight.  She is having fun with the idiocy that is Dwight all by herself. 

Dwight continues spouting his reforms to the group, while Pam quietly stands by utterly amused.  Dwight announces that he will begin a series of lectures designed to help employees increase their understanding of paper.  The response is less than exuberant which prompts Dwight to holler, “Yes! Michael is gone. There's a new sheriff here in these offices, and his name is "me." Conference room! Ten seconds! All of you!” 

Pam’s face lights up yet again as she smiles and silently laughs while casting a glance at the camera.  Her disbelieving face would normally be locked with Jim’s, but since he isn’t there, Pam again turns her attention to the camera.  It’s interesting how she has “bonded” with the camera in the absence of Jim.  It’s almost a substitute for her until she finds another outlet.  She needs to share the humor with someone, but no one besides Jim “gets” it and can laugh with her.  If Jim isn’t there to make faces at the camera, she is more than willing to take his place.  It’s another way to keep a piece of Jim with her as she flies solo.

Pam’s enthusiasm extends into a subsequent talking head, “I literally cannot wait to see what Dwight has planned.”  Her eyes are sparkling, while the rest of her face is teeming with anticipation.  She intends to milk Dwight’s idiocy for as man laughs as possible.  As much as Pam is wrapped up in the moment, her thoughts turn to Jim.  She lightly bites her bottom lip before she allows the camera to see her vulnerability.  With slight hesitance she admits to the camera, “And I wish Jim were here.”  She’s starting to feel the weight amidst the light and playful atmosphere she’s created for herself.  Pam wants Jim to be there sharing the moment with her as if nothing every came between them.  She’s curious about how he’d react and what he would do if he was here.  Pam rolls her eyes as she speaks and again after her statement as a little bit of a release.  She feels silly and a little embarrassed.  It’s the equivalent of admitting a crush in a high school cafeteria.  It’s not something she’s wants spotlighted, (it’s a weakness), but she can’t help herself.  She loves him, but she feels the impossibility of being with him.  

It’s in this talking head that Pam realizes it’s a lot harder to let go of Jim than she previously thought.  However, she knows she has to move forward or she will be buried in her own misery.  The tone of her voice carries an air of acceptance for her position.   Pam may have loads of awareness for how she feels and the reality that is before her, but she is still trying to figure out what to do with all of that information.  She’s in the painful predicament of having emotions that don’t match her reality.  Despite this, FNB is determined to reconcile the incongruence with astonishing optimism.

Dwight’s Lecture:

Despite Pam’s confusing emotional state, she is still intent on amusing herself during Dwight’s first paper lecture.  As Dwight speaks to the staff as if they are kindergartners, Pam again jests with the camera.  She nods and smiles in complete merriment at Dwight’s ridiculous grasp of power under the guise of teaching.  Dwight’s lesson is just plain silly, but instead of being bored like everyone else, Pam is making the best of it by seeing the humor.  It’s an attitude that has served her well with life in general, so why not in the conference room, too?  She “eagerly” leans towards the soil samples placed in the center of the conference table as a little prank on Dwight.  She’s playing into the idea of being his Secret Assistant to the Regional Manager by feigning interest.  It’s not meant to be funny to anyone but herself.  It’s a secret prank by and for the Secret Assistant to the Regional Manager. 

Dwight eventually faces a student rebellion when Stanley refuses to accept of Schrute Buck.  The “class” becomes unruly, giving Pam an open door to extend her little prank.  FNB steps in and hollers, “HEY! COME ON! Let's listen to Dwight's presentation!”  To Dwight and everyone else, she sounds serious.  She slams her fists on the table and deepens her voice to add to the illusion.  She quickly shifts back to a demure face and looks up to Dwight with the appearance that she seeks his approval.  Pam is getting Dwight to buy into her prank and is gaining his trust which will make it possible to pull further pranks.  Entertaining oneself has never been more artfully achieved. 

Dwight already looks stupid to everyone, but Pam is the only one who can find the humor.  The significance in all of this is the fact that Pam made herself the center of attention for her prank.  She took a very loud lead in making a fool of Dwight and she did it for herself.  Every since Beach Games, Pam isn’t afraid to make a little noise in front of her co-workers or Jim.  It’s good to see she’s chosen to retain this characteristic.

Michael’s Return:

Michael returns from New York and babbles endlessly about how he will never leave Scranton, never letting on that he blew his interview.  Pam is likely listening with the same annoyance as her co-workers. Once Michael is done blabbering, Pam practically blurts out, “Did . . . Karen get the job?”  Her heart leapt after asking as her curiosity is overwhelming her.  Pam is a little over anxious to hear anything about New York, but she is a little hesitant at the same time.  She pauses right before she says Karen’s name.  She meant to say Jim, but thought better of it just in time.  She wants to ask about Jim, but it’s too personal to ask in front of her co-workers.  She’s already caught a lot of crap for her beach day speech and doesn’t want to endure any more teasing.  Asking about Karen is just easier and will get her the same information.  Besides, she really does want Karen to get the job, so as to get rid of her. 

A lot of emotion is hinging on Michael’s answer.  As the day progresses Pam has been feeling Jim’s absence more and more.  The possibility that she may lose him to New York is getting closer and harder to face.  Her talking heads have clued us into the fact that Pam’s tough exterior has weaknesses and this scene is another example that she’s having a hard time letting go even though she knows she must.  It really is easier said than done to let someone go.  The stress of it is getting to Pam and she feels the pain that often accompanies goodbye.  Her heart is grabbing onto him while her head is preparing for a possible farewell.  Jim could just as easily leave for New York as he could stay in Scranton. 

Each scenario requires polar opposite emotions.  She is stuck in the middle right now trying to get ready for either scenario.  Letting him go in New York is different from letting him go in Scranton.  In a sense, Pam doesn’t know if she can keep any hope tucked away.  If he’s in New York, she has to let it all go, but if he stays in Scranton he’s not totally gone and little hope can live deep in her heart.  FNB may be intent on being happy and accepts the facts of her situation, but Jim’s presence in Scranton would leave a little room for hope. 

Michael ignores Pam’s question leaving her with continuing curiosity and anxiousness.  Her face is saddened and perplexed as she remains in the void of the unknown.  The hope she doesn‘t dare release, continues to hang in the balance. 

Saluting Dwight:

Michael’s return signaled Dwight’s demise as head of the Scranton branch as well as Pam’s role as Secret Assistant to the Regional Manager.  Dwight approaches her desk and quietly greets her, “Pam, hello.”  With solemn sarcasm Pam responds, “Dwight, hello.”  She is still playing her personal prank on Dwight.  Pam manages to keep a straight face when Dwight replies, “I wanted to thank you... for helping me, when you held the title, Secret Assistant to the Regional Manager. You served the office with great dignity.”  Pam decides to play out her little joke one more time as she salutes Dwight.  She is still messing with him with her own brand of oddball humor for her own amusement.  It’s just too easy and she can’t help herself. 

By saluting him, she once again garnered his trust which leaves her further opportunities to prank.  She is obviously holding back a laugh as she looks up at Dwight, but a small smile escapes.  Her prank on Dwight may have originated with thoughts of Jim, but it ended with Pam focusing on herself.  In the end, humor saved her from focusing on the fact that she misses Jim.  It would’ve been all too easy to fall into a mode of constant pining.  FNB refuses to let herself fall when she has come so far.  Pam really did find a ray happiness on her own.

Talking Head #6:

Even though Pam’s prank brought a smile to her face, she can’t escape her thoughts of Jim for long.  They are too present as she awaits news from New York.  She is again participating in a talking head as she says, “No, I don’t know what the future holds . . .”  Pam is a little bewildered by the unknown future, but she isn’t afraid.  Her voice even has a tinge of excitement as Pam considers the road ahead of her.  This is a huge development for Pam and the cornerstone of FNB.  Old Pam had an inherent fear of the unknown which prevented her from making any large changes.  Her rejection of Jim on CN partly originated from this fear.  Clearly, Pam has escaped this barrier and is boldly willing to move on to a new chapter in her life. 

FNB continues to show her colors with the apt statement, “ . . . but, I’m optimistic.” If Pam has learned anything in the last year, it’s to have faith in herself.  Pam knows she can do anything if she really puts her mind to it and believes in herself.  She has a lot of hope invested in herself and the future.   Part of Pam’s optimism is rooted in the humor she’s surrounded herself with all day, “And I had fun goofing around with Dwight today.”  Her face lights up as she briefly recounts her prank.  She playfully shrugs with the notion that messing with Dwight beats wallowing in misery and sadness.   She may be alone, but it’s not the end of the world. Rather it’s the start of something new and she’s learning as she goes. 

Despite the optimism raging inside of Pam, she is not invincible to pangs of sorrow. She takes a breath and pauses as her thoughts drift back to Jim.  He’s been a topic in her talking heads all day and this instance is no different.  Her eyes become distant when she begins to speak, “Jim and I are just too similar.”  She’s looking in the direction of the camera, but her mind is someplace else.  The statement doesn’t seemingly fit in with Pam’s previous topic of Dwight, but her prank on Dwight makes Pam think of Jim.  It may have been a ploy to entertain herself and distract her from dwelling on Jim, but his humor was with her the entire time.  He was with her all day. It’s inevitable that she would think of him at this point, wishing he were with her right now. 

Playing with Dwight was fun, but it wasn’t the same without Jim.  She’s feeling the loss again and it’s getting stronger.  The water is getting deeper and it’s getting tougher to stay afloat.  Pam feels herself slipping into a dangerous emotional state so she attempts to cut another string to disconnect herself from Jim.  By explaining that she and Jim are too similar, she’s looking for a way to convince herself that it could never work between them.  Believing this makes it easier to let go of him.  Symbolically, her words couldn’t be more truthful.  Pam and Jim have been paralleling each other’s behavior all season long.  Both are still traveling the same path, but at a different juncture.  Both want to go back to the way things were, but the feeling of impossibility plagues any hope.  The path in which Jim and Pam are traveling is full of self discovery and they’ve only just begun.    

Pam is able to regain her composure quickly and sanguinely says, “Maybe one day I’ll find my own Karen.”  Her eyes return focus on the camera, returning from their previous hiatus.  There is still a hint of sadness lingering but hope is still alive.  This is a different kind of hope as it doesn’t apply to Jim in this instance.  Pam’s face is again showing hope for herself in the face of uncertainty.  She’s not worried about herself, nor is she afraid of the “new” that awaits her on the other side of the present.  Her statement relates to the concept of letting Jim go, but she’s adding the component of moving on for herself.  If Jim has moved on with Karen, then Pam must move on with someone else, too.  Jim is the future she wants, but she knows she realized it too late.  Now it’s time to accept that a future with Jim will not come to pass.  It’s a simple fact of life that people don’t always get what they want.  

Despite this logic, it’s difficult to think of herself with someone else.  However, it’s a reality she’s beginning to embrace because she knows she must if she’s going to stay out of the depths of misery that comes from pining away for someone she can’t be with.  Believing in herself is Pam’s saving grace.

Unfortunately, Pam’s unflinching faith in herself can’t save her from getting a little flustered. She fumbles around her words, “But, you, that is a, um, you know, not . . . a man.  A man version.”  Pam let the camera see some vulnerability and she let herself feel Jim a little too much.  This chips at her touch exterior a little bit and scares her.   Pam unwittingly stirred up a hurricane of emotions when she let her mind drift towards Jim.  She’s managed to keep him at a comfortable distance all day, that is until this talking head.  Love, pain, hope, loss, optimism, uncertainty, empowerment, determination, sadness, and happiness are all swirling around her as she sits in the eye of the storm.  It’s hard to know what to feel at any given time, but she has enough strength to keep herself from succumbing to emotional schizophrenia.  She’s bound to break every now and again, but she will never be down for the count.  

Of course, Pam bounces right back like an inflated punching balloon and proclaims, “But, until then, I can hold my head up.” FNB radiates in her words as she carries through with the pride she gained from her beach day speech.  Pam is still glowing from being honest with herself and Jim.  It still brings an enormous release of confidence and relief.  She doesn’t regret her growth and knows she did the right thing.  The tone of her statement is very strong, but there is a tinge of melancholy.  Obviously, Pam prefers a different outcome, but she’s still proud of herself.  Pam knows how far she’s come, but she’s also smart enough to know she’s not out of the woods yet.  She uses the phrase, “until then” coupled with a deep breath because she knows there is a long road ahead.  There’s still room to grow and loose ends she needs to tie together.  Pam is still learning the ropes of FNB and sorting through a mess of emotions.  It’s a daunting task, but the optimist in Pam will cling to the good days and take the bad in stride.

Pam still can’t let it go that she embarrassed herself in front of the camera, so she adds, “I’m not gay” at the end of her soliloquy.  A remnant of Old Pam lingers as she’s self conscious about how she is being perceived.  FNB may be in full swing, but parts of Old Pam still bubble up every now and then.  Pam is always going to be self conscious, but she’s learning to handle it with a little bit more strength.  Rather than flub through another array of babbled words, Pam got right to the point and told the camera what she meant outright this time around.  It’s another little growing pain on Pam’s continuing road of self-discovery.

Pam’s Note:

Unfortunately, viewers didn’t get to see Pam write the note she packed in Jim’s folder.  Her note spoke to Jim’s heart, but that wasn’t her intention.  Pam’s motivation is not rooted in winning Jim back.  However, she is trying to continue to repair the friendship by reminding him of the connection they share.  The newly cleared air between them gives her the freedom to work on rebuilding that connection.  The note is simply Pam’s way of being supportive and warm as his friend.  It’s her way of letting him know she supports him in his endeavors and that she cares.  Aside from that, it’s Pam’s way of being with him in New York.  She can’t be there for him in any other way, but a small piece of paper in his folder. 

She writes:  Jim, Don’t forget us when your famous.  Pam.  She affixes a yogurt lid “gold medal” in the upper right hand corner as well.  Pam’s words are very simple, but they are packed with meaning.  On the surface, Pam is encouraging Jim by assuming he’s going to the job, which is why he needs to be told not to forget about Scranton.  It’s meant as a little confidence builder.  Dig a little deeper and Pam is also telling Jim not to forget about her.  Even if things never evolve past a fragile friend zone, she doesn’t want him to forget about her and what they shared.  Losing him is hard enough.  To be forgotten is unbearable.  Pam’s warmth is unmistakable as she lets him know she will always be there for him, even when he’s “famous” or New Jim.  She may not totally understand New Jim, but she will always be his friend.

The yogurt lid beckons back to Office Olympics and Pam’s intention with this is twofold.  This is a reminder of a fun day she and Jim spent together.  She hasn’t seen Jim flash his trademark smile in a long time and she hopes this will do the trick.  It’s her way of showing him she misses him, or the Old Jim that she knows still lives in him.  On another level, Pam knows from the shoreline that Jim hasn’t “come back” and this might help. She’s basically telling him it’s okay to be “you.”  At the risk of sounding corny, Jim is getting a gold medal to be himself.  Pam put herself on that piece of paper to connect with Jim, but not in a way to interfere with his chosen path. 

On a symbolic level, the note takes on even more meaning.  Pam’s phrase “don’t forget,” is a reference to Old Jim.  Pam has felt all along that Jim never really came back.  The Jim in front of her is not the guy that peered into her soul on Booze Cruise.  However, she still sees that man hiding inside.  Pam doesn’t want Jim to forget who he is.  She loves that man and doesn’t want him to disappear completely.  Essentially, Pam is reminding Jim that he can always come home and she’ll be waiting.  In keeping with that theme, the yogurt lid is another reference to Old Jim.  Or more precisely: the past.  The shiny gold lid is a reminder that the past doesn’t have to hurt.  There were more good times, than there were painful.  Aside from that, the future is burning bright with infinite possibilities.  The shiny gold lid is almost a light at the end of the tunnel.

Talking Head #7:

In Pam’s last talking head, her optimism has remained intact despite a day of curiosity and angst.  Just as she proclaimed in a previous talking head, she continues to hold her head up.  Confidence aside, she is still very anxious to hear any news from New York.  She begins by saying, “I haven’t heard anything.  But I bet Jim got the job.  I mean, why wouldn’t he?”  There’s a little bit of an edge in her voice that emanates for anticipation.  She’s still stuck in the middle, wondering where Jim will fit into her life or if he will at all.  However, Pam is starting to prepare herself for a perceived inevitability by betting Jim got the job.  Therefore, if it happens she is a little more prepared for losing him again. 

The news won’t hit her as hard and she’ll be a little more able to handle it if she chooses to accept it now.  It’s a classic proactive self defense mechanism.  They don’t always work, but it bolsters Pam’s strength.  Pam has to find a way to let go of the shred of hope she keeps locked tight in her heart.  She starts to list the reasons why Jim got to the job as a way to solidify her defense mechanism, “He’s totally qualified, and smart, everyone loves him.”  She breaks eye contact with the camera as she feels her vulnerabilities surfacing once again.  If she keeps going she’s bound to hit something way too personal.  She came close near the end of her list with “everyone loves him.”  She wasn’t just speaking for everyone - she was speaking for herself. She pauses for a brief moment, as she silently tells herself, I love him.  This unleashes more emotions as Pam begins to open up to the camera.  She’s been pushing back feelings all day and now she’s letting some of them out.  Jim has been on her mind all day, no matter how hard she tried to distract herself.  

Her optimism may be a driving factor in Pam’s actions, but it can’t chase away her feelings for Jim.  She is still trying to sort through the idea that she will be okay without him, while still being in love with him.  She’s never had a chance to talk it through out loud until now, “And if he never comes back again, that’s okay.”  She is remembering their shoreline discussion when Jim told her he hasn’t really come back. Even with clear air between them, Jim still hasn’t come back.  Now she sees him running somewhere else and that deeply saddens her.  It isn’t just about her losing Jim, it’s about Jim losing Jim.  However, she must tell herself it’s okay so she can find a future without him.  

Despite the strength she’s trying to build, her “okay” is said delicately with a touch of sadness, as if it were the beginning of a tearful farewell.  She is still grappling with the possibility of having to say goodbye.  She needs to believe that it’s okay, in order to maintain FNB.  She doesn’t want to lose all she has gained along with Jim.  Pam falls back on her optimism to carry her through, “We’re friends.”  Pam has used this phrase before in Office Olympics, as a defensive shield.  It’s working much the same way as she needs to believe they will always be friends in some way, even if he isn’t in Scranton. 

On a deeper level, there is a tiny bit of strain in her voice.  Calling Jim a friend is a tough reality to accept when she feels so much more for him.  Even though she has accepted the friend zone, it’s hard place to live.  Whereas it used to be a safe place to hide from her feelings, it’s now a barrier she no longer wants.  She continues, “And I’m sure we’ll stay friends.“  Pam truly wants to believe this, but deep down she knows if he leaves for New York it will be a friendship that lingers in the past, rather than on that flourishes in the present.  It’s another defensive measure aimed at softening the blow.  Saying goodbye to Jim on good terms is very important to Pam, given the circumstances that lead to his previous departure to Scranton.  Staying friends is about leaving things on a positive note, not a routine of regular phone conversations and e-mails. 

Pam opens up further, “We just . . . We never got the timing right.  You know?”  Pam can’t help but briefly reminisce how everything went wrong.  It’s another way for her to build on her previous defense that it would never work between them.  She says it lightly, almost amused at the folly of their relationship.  The finality of the situation feels so out of hand, that Pam feels like she really has no choice but to accept the circumstances.  It’s here where Pam starts to feel Jim drifting further and further away from her.  It’s been progressively building all day, but this is the moment where she truly begins to let go.

In many of her previous talking heads she spoke of Jim.  Talking about him has been very healing and is giving her the ability to let him go.  The tiny bit of hope she kept carefully hidden is starting to dim as Pam realizes some relationships just can’t be fixed. Her eyes again become distant as she says, “I shot him down, and then he did the same to me,”  Glimpses of pain dance across her face as she remembers all that has transpired over the last year.  Although, this level playing field helped to heal the wounds, the fact of the matter is, they’ve hurt each other.  She did her best to heal the rift, but it wasn’t enough to bring back everything they had.  Pam can accept that, but she still feels the loss.  

She takes in a big breath and that seems to rejuvenate her sense of faith in herself, “But you know what?  It’s okay.”  Pam caught herself beginning to wallow and picked herself up before it was too late.  She knows FNB would not exist if it weren’t for all the hurt and tribulations she faced.  If it weren’t for her relationship with Jim, she’d be Mrs. Roy Anderson right now and that’s scarier than the situation facing her at the moment.   It‘s just like the coal walk in Beach Games, sometimes life hurts, but Pam is strong enough to feel the burn.  FNB is standing strong on her own two feet, even if there‘s and unsteady road ahead.  “I am totally fine.  Everything is going to be totally . . .”  There is a staunch determination in her tone as Pam really believes this.   She says it with vigor and even a sense of excitement. 

The hurt she allowed herself to feel before gave her the urgency believe in herself even more.  It’s was almost a little reminder that she is responsible for her own happiness.  Pam’s most telling phrase is “everything is going to be . . .”  She didn’t get a chance to finish the sentence, but it’s clear she was heading towards something positive.  Everything isn’t okay now, but she knows it will be eventually.  This very optimistic viewpoint is FNB through and through. Pam is smart enough to know that it’s going to take time and she’s not going to beat herself up every time she stumbles.  Pam knows the pain isn’t over, but it won’t be the end of her. Her statement is also another indicator that her hope is still dimming.  The more she holds onto herself the less she is holding onto Jim.  

Just as she is letting go of her hope and relying on her determination to pull her through, the door opens with Jim on the other side calling her name.  He’s almost calling her back to a place she was getting ready to leave in the past.  A place where Jim wants to be with her.  Pam is clearly shocked to see the very man she is talking herself into letting go.  The one thing she dared not hope for is standing right in front of her.  She doesn’t say anything as she waits for him to speak. 

He nervously asks her, “Are you free for dinner tonight?”  Pam is still stunned by his presence, but she manages to give a strong, “Yes.”  She throws in a small nod to ensure her answer.  Her response is more of an involuntary reaction as her brain function has ceased completely.  Between the shock and confusion surrounding his question Pam doesn’t have time to think.  Her instincts took over and answered for her.  Jim smiles and softly responds, “Alright.  Then it’s a date.” 

The camera pans back over to a clearly astonished Pam.  She looks at the camera thinking, Are you kidding me?  She’s not sure if she can believe this really happened.  Once she lets it settle in for a few seconds a euphoric smile graces her face.  Her Jim really just came through that door and asked her out.  In the space of a few seconds, the weight she’s dragged around since Jim let go of her hands on CN (GWH) has been lifted. The deep waters in which she sought to stay afloat have become calm and shallow.  The hurricane of conflicting emotions has dissipated into a warm breeze.  She doesn’t have to miss him anymore.  He‘s here with her.  He’s here for her to love.  All the pain has been replaced with sheer joy. 

Much to her relief, she saw Old Jim flickering in his eyes as he spoke.  Pam knows he’s come home.  This means more to her than anything.  She missed Jim, but she missed the man that fell in love with her even more.  Just as Jim felt her warmth throughout the day, Pam finally got to feel his warmth wrapping around her.  She hasn’t felt it since CN and it feels like the sun is hitting her for the first time.  The beauty of this moment is that she’s not afraid to embrace Jim’s warmth any longer, (as in S1 and S2).  She is allowing it to be part of her. 

The shift of emotions is a little overwhelming for Pam.  She spent her entire day preparing herself for Jim’s departure.   His return was unexpected and unleashed more elation than Pam knows what to do with.  Her heart is likely pumping a million miles a minute as her cheeks flush and her sparkling eyes begin to moisten with tears of joy.  She bites her bottom lip in utter disbelief, still trying to figure out what just happened.  That tiny bit of hope she was getting ready to discard, has now ballooned into unimaginable proportions pushing out the pain and sadness only to leave more room for Pam’s happiness to expand.  In the midst of Pam’s joy, there is also a surge of confidence.  In contrast to Season 2, Pam knows she’s good enough for Jim.  There is a sense that she belongs with him and she isn’t second guessing herself.  She may not be able to believe what just happened, but she knows it isn’t a mistake. 

Instead of having to let him go, Pam’s heart wraps around him and holds on tight.  Pam may have found happiness in herself, but she got more than she could ever have hoped from Jim.  Pam tries to pull herself together to finish her talking head, but she can’t remember the question.  Her thoughts remain on him as she contemplates an unexpected future where Jim is part of her life.  

The Bottom Line:

The timing is finally right.

- - -

JAM Song of the Week:

I realize this is an odd choice, but this song broke my writer’s block.  Both the lyrics and overall feeling of this song felt like Pam in seconds following Jim’s request to join him for dinner.

You’re So True

Artist: Joseph Arthur

Album: Shrek 2 Soundtrack 

JAM Optimist:

1) Jim asked Pam are going on a date

2) Pam knows she is good enough for Jim

3) Pam isn’t afraid of Jim’s feelings

JAM Pessimist:

1) Jim and Pam are different people than they were on CN

2) Communication lines still aren’t at full strength

Questions to Ponder:

1) From Pam’s point of view, what kind of date is she going on with Jim?  What kind of date is it from your point of view? 

2) Should Pam ask about Jim’s status with Karen?  Should she ask about New York in general?

3) Is Pam ready to be in a relationship with Jim?

4) Does Pam trust Jim?

5) Does Pam know what she wants? 

6) Judging from Pam’s reaction, (TH #7), does she think Jim still loves her?

 

 

End Notes:

Commonly Used Acronyms: PD = Pam Dichotomy, JP = Jim Paradox, CN = Casino Night, FNB = Fancy New Beesly, QTP = Questions to Ponder

This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation.  Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=5376