God, I’m in Love by Ravens8
Summary: A first Date Story.
Categories: Jim and Pam Characters: Jim/Pam
Genres: Fluff, Romance
Warnings: Adult language, Mild sexual content
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 5395 Read: 3679 Published: May 29, 2020 Updated: June 17, 2020
Story Notes:
I own nothing.  This is also my first online writing.  I enjoy writing but don’t really share it so it isn't as good as other stories.  But I want to improve so I’m writing now.

1. Chapter 1 by Ravens8

2. Chapter 2 by Ravens8

3. Chapter 3 by Ravens8

Chapter 1 by Ravens8
Author's Notes:
Lead-Up to the Date

Jim


“Where do you see yourself in 10 years?”  I look at David Wallace and try to imagine myself in my office talking to the CFO every single day, working harder than I did on any of my pranks on Dwight.  I try to imagine it.  But I can’t.  All I can see is teaching a young little girl with curly red hair how to ride a bike.  All I can see is shooting hoops with a young boy who has shaggy brown hair, and has those beautiful gleaming green eyes of her.  All I can see is Pam.  I see her courageous speech on Beach Day, and how I wanted to kiss her senseless after it.  All I can see is the girl I can’t stop loving, so why try?  So I look David squarely in the eye and say, “Scranton.”  The CFO leans forward with a confused look.  He opens his mouth to say something, but I interrupt him.  “I’m sorry for wasting your time David.  My future is in Scranton.”  I stand up to shake his hand.  He shakes it firmly and says, “No problem Jim, let me know if your mind changes at some point.  I would love to work with you here.”  I just smile and walk out.  As I pass the reception desk, I hear, “Dunder Mifflin this is Grace.”  I grin and pull out the crinkled yogurt lid.  Looking at it, I mutter “I’m coming  home Pam.”


Pam

As I look at Michael forcing Dwight to repaint his office, I begin to feel the all too familiar feeling.  I wish Jim were here.  But I know it will never be the same.  I lost my chance.  For the rest of my life I will sleep alone and cry in the shower because of an idiotic nod.  For the rest of my life I will try to date, but just hopelessly compare it to Jim.  But Jim on the other hand, will live life with an amazing job and gorgeous girlfriend.  But what did I expect?  How can I compete with Karen?  I still don’t get it.  Why me?  What did Jim see in me, at least attractiveness wise?  I’m just a mousy receptionist who wears cardigans and sweaters.  I’m not surprised he forgot about me when he saw the exotic sexy looking coworker of his.  But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t hurt.  I am shaken from my thoughts when Dave, one of the cameramen walks up to my desk.  “Hey can we get a talking head real quick before the day ends?”  I nod and follow him into the conference room.


Jim

“Hey you!  How did the interview go?”  I grimace listening to Karen’s joyous and unsuspecting voice.  “It went okay, hey can we meet up?”  Karen pauses for a moment.  She then answers with hesitation, “Uh, yeah there’s a fountain near my restaurant, let’s meet there.”  I answer with a quick response, “Kay, see you there.”  I snap the phone shut and hail down a cab.  As the cab drives to the fountain, I am lost in my thoughts.  What am I gonna say?  Do I give Karen a ride home?  What about Pam?  Do I ask her out?  Do I kiss her in front of everybody?  My thoughts are abruptly stopped when the cab driver gruffly tells me to get out of the car.  I nod and step out of the cab to look for the fountain.”  After a bit of crowd weaving and searching, I spot it.  It is spitting out water onto the ground beneath it.  I look for my girlfriend.  I spot Karen.  She is dressed in her attire from earlier in the morning.  Those uptight black pants and the sport coat that will never trump a cardigan.  I walk over, ambling even, dreading what is to come.  She spots me and jogs over to me.  “Hey!”  She leans up to kiss me and I stiffen and swerve to give her a meager kiss on the cheek.  She scowls and asks, “What is it?”  I look down in shame.  I try to study the pavement, the pattern of the stones.  Really studying anything other than those piercing eyes that are shooting daggers into my head right now.  “I, uh, need to go back to Scranton.  I withdrew from consideration.”  “You did what?!  Dammit Jim!  This is about her.  That mousy little receptionist.  She isn’t even pretty!”  I grind my teeth together in order for me to not defend Pam’s honor.  It’s not the time or place for that.  “I’m sorry.  I shouldn’t have brought you into this mess”, I mutter.  Karen gave a heartless laugh.  I dare to look up.  I instantly regret it.  Her eyes are full of betrayal and hatred.  “Sorry?  I changed my entire life for you.  My parents tried to tell me no.  They said that I barely knew you.  And goddammit they’re right.  I don’t know you.  I thought you were an ambitious handsome looking guy with a good sense of humor.  But really you are just an immature dude who has zero ambition!  None.  All you care about is pranking Dwight and thinking about a girl who wears cardigans.  Cardigans!  Like how is that attractive?”  I look up at her and stare her down.  She stops her rant and looks at me with a look full of hatred.  “Karen I’m truly sorry.  You knew the Jim who was desperately trying to move on, not the real Jim.  And for that I’m truly sorry”, I mumble.  She scoffs.  “Well I don’t want to know the Real Jim.  Just go back to Scranton.”  I sigh.  I am truly sorry about Karen.  I care for her.  I do have feelings for her.  If the merger hadn’t happened, we could have maybe lasted.  But the merger did happen and right now I’m happy it did.  I turn around to the bustling streets of New York City and walk away from the past 6 months to ask out my future to a date.


Pam

I sigh in frustration.  The camera crew asks me one last time for my thoughts on who got the corporate job.  I know they only care about Jim, so I don’t waste my time on any other candidates and go straight to Jim.  “I haven’t heard anything, but I bet Jim got the job.  I mean why wouldn’t he?  He’s totally qualified, and smart, everyone loves him…and if he never comes back again?  That’s okay.  We’re friends.  And I’m sure we’ll stay friends.  As the words come out of my mouth I know I just lied.  Jim will move to a fancy new apartment that will actually have 3 kitchens, live life to the fullest with an amazing job, and of course be able to kiss and hold Karen anytime he wants.  As I think of that image, I feel tears stinging my eyelids.  I don’t want to cry in front of the camera, so I try to finish the interview quickly.  “We just never got the timing right. You know?  I shot him down and he did the same to me.  But you know what?  It’s okay.  I’m totally fine.  Everything is gonna be totally-”  I am interrupted but the creaking of the conference room door opening.  I turn along with the rest of the camera crew to see Jim. I hardly believe my eyes.  I must be hallucinating.  God, he’s so handsome.  And sexy.  That new haircut makes him look very sexy.  I hear my name spoken by his low gravelly voice that I love, so I force myself to pay attention.  “Um, are you free for dinner tonight?”  It has if time itself had stopped.  It is as if the world had ceased to exist, and it was only Jim’s questioning stare and me.  No conference room.  No camera crew.  And certainly no Dwight Schrute and Michael Scott.  A thousand questions come into my head.  But before they burst out of my beating heart that he can certainly hear, I respond with a “yes”.  He gives me a soft smile, the one that she hadn’t seen since before his transfer, and he drums his fingers against the doorframe.  “Alright, then it’s a date.”  He closes the door and I turn back to the camera biting my lip.  I am practically drawing blood from biting it so hard, trying to tame my emotions.  My utter shock, joy, and excitement.  I realize I’m still in the middle of a talking head, so I look up and ask, “I’m sorry what was the question?”


Jim

My heart is practically bursting with joy.  I can’t believe it.  I am going on a date with Pam Beesly!  I may even give her a kiss on her doorstep.  The impact of this moment hits me so I realize I need a distraction from these nervous jitters.  I desperately try to play some Free Cell at my desk, but no avail.  Once I give up trying to distract myself I hear the conference room door opening.  I turn my head around to see the camera crew walking out.  I am surprised to not see Pam.  I stand up and walk over to the conference room.  I lean towards the window looking in and see Pam’s back to me.  I see her chuckling and mumbling to herself.  I laugh.  God, that girl is adorable.  I shake my head in amusement and walk to the restroom.  I splash some water in my face at the sink and look in the mirror.  I don’t like what I see.  A fancy new sport coat?  A long sleeved shirt that isn’t rolled up?  A weird and strange haircut?  This isn’t me.  But I can change that today.  And I will.  I take a deep breath and walk out of the bathroom to go back to my desk.  I spot Pam on the phone.  She’s only wearing one of her normal cardigans, but I don’t think I have seen her more beautiful.  But I’m more focused on what she is saying on the phone.  “Yes, yes, I’ll transfer you”, she giggles.  I grin and walk up to the reception desk and lean on it like I haven’t done in far too long.  I tease her like I haven’t done in a while, “What’s got you so giggly Beesly?”  She laughs.  It isn’t any laugh.  It’s the one where her tongue pokes out between her teeth.  The one I love.  I am so damn in love with this girl.  “A super hot guy just asked me out.”  I smirk and decide to play along just like how we used to.  “Hmm, you’ll have to tell me about this date tomorrow.”  Pam grins.  I pop a jellybean in my mouth, and in between chews I say, “So Beesly, do you think he’s a keeper?”  Any traces of a smile were wiped of her face in an instant.  I begin to think I went too far with the teasing.  I mentally kick myself.  Dammit Jim.  Why did you go there.  You just asked her out.  Why are you asking those kinds of questions?  I am so so stupid.  I open my mouth to backtrack, but she looks at me dead in the eye with an intense stare.  She says in a low voice, “I know he is.”  I give her a soft smile and point at her.  “6:30 Beesly, stay sharp.”  A wide smile spreads across her face and I laugh at her adorable little grin.  God, I’m in love.

Chapter 2 by Ravens8
Author's Notes:
I own nothing.  Everything up until the actual date.

Pam


I don’t have anything to wear.  I know it’s that cliché    thing girls say before a date, but it’s true.  I know Jim developed  his feelings for me while I wore cardigans and sweaters, but he just broke up with Karen.  I think.  I need to look amazing.  I can’t have him regretting his break up.  Now that I have had a taste of Jim full on flirting with me and no implications except dating me, I don’t think I could survive without it.  This thing has to work.  I check my watch.  Jeez!  It is 5:45!  I have been standing here, looking at all of my frumpled outfits, for the past 23 minutes.  Out of the corner of my eye, I spot a cardboard box.  That box holds a bunch of outfits I bought with my sister Penny.  I open the box and see a couple of outfits that are acceptable.  I decide on some jet black jeans that hug my waist nicely and a magenta colored sleeveless  blouse.  Now that the worst part is over, I head to the bathroom to curl my hair.  I decide to curl it into loose waves that reside besides my head.  I apply a bit of makeup and take a look at myself.  I look hot.  No, I look terrible.  I’m probably more attractive than Karen.  No way.  I’m not.  He’ll just laugh.  I shake my head in frustration.  I need a distraction before I go completely insane with insecurity.





Jim


It is as if I had never talked to a girl before.  Or at least gone on a date with one.  My palms are as sweaty right now as my entire body usually is after a game of basketball at the Y.  I have looked in the mirror at least 10 times.  She did agree to go on a date with me right?  So she does want to see me right?  I am dressed in some khaki pants and a nice button down shirt that my mom gave to me last year for Christmas.  But I am rolling up my sleeves.  I’m not blind.  Even when she was with Roy, I noticed how Pam looked at me when I leaned on the reception desk.  Her eyes would darken with intense desire, but then she would quickly look away.  I always let it go.  But tonight?  I am going all in.  I’ll put all of my cards on the table.  Maybe not all.  I need this relationship to work more than anything, so maybe dropping out the L word on the first date isn’t the smartest idea.  I check my watch.  Shoot!  It’s 6:10!  I practically sprint out of my apartment and barely forget to lock the door.  I need flowers!  I should have already gotten them, but I spent the last 23 minutes looking at the mirror being an insecure guy.  I am probably driving like a madman, but I need to get to the floral shop.  When I arrive, I run in and speak a mile a minute to the florist.  She gives me a soft smile.  “I get it hon.  Scrambling for a date right?  But you spoke way too fast.”  I chuckle and run my hands through my hair like I usually do when I’m stressed.  I am woefully disappointed by the lack of hair.  Damn you Karen.  “I need a bouquet of carnations please.”  Those were Pam’s favorites.  I remember her telling Phyllis on the day I complained to Toby about her planning her wedding during office hours.  The two of them had been talking about wedding flowers.  Phyllis had told Pam that Bob always used to get her carnations before a date.  I had smiled that day, thinking of giving Pam carnations on a date.  But that fantasy had been interrupted when Pam said, “Yeah I love them too, I bet Roy will get those for me.”  At that I ran out of the room and threw up.  I soon complained to Toby, partly because I was just ranting and partially because I was just sick and tired of Roy and Pam’s wedding.  But that is all in the past.  Now, I can actually give Pam a bouquet of carnations before a date.  Finally one of my fantasies of Pam and I is coming true.  Hopefully another one will come true in the coming nights.  Or whenever she is ready.  I am torn from my thoughts when the florist gives me the bouquet.  I blush, knowing what I was thinking about.  I look down at the rosy red bouquet of flowers and think:Perfect.  I pay the florist and jog out of the shop to my car.  I check my watch.  6:21.  I shift my car into drive.  As I’m driving to Pam’s apartment I am full of nervous jitters.  I never understood the phrase “I have butterflies in my stomach”, but I certainly get it now.  Holy cow!  I am about to pick up Pam Beesly for a date.  A date.  The girl of my dreams.  The only person I want to get on a knee for.  I notice that I’m at her apartment.  I take a couple of deep breaths and step out of my car.  Once I get to her door, I compose myself.  You can do this.  You can do this.  You can do this.  I check my watch.  6:28.  Early bird does get the worm, so…maybe knock?  I knock on the door twice.  I can only wait at this point.  I don’t hear anything for about 30 seconds.  I’m about to knock again when the door opens.  I see her.  Wow.  She is an absolute vision.  The sight of her is stunning.  A magenta blouse that showed just a bit of cleavage, jeans that hugged her nicely, and her curly brownish-reddish hair that was curled into loose waves.  I know I’ve just openly gaped for quite a while when her face becomes flushed with a dark purple color.  “Wow, Pam you look nice.”  She smiles.  I remember my promise to not hold back tonight.  “Actually you know what?  I’m not holding back tonight.  Pam, you look absolutely gorgeous.”  She blushes.  “You don’t look too bad yourself Halpert”, she responds back.  She notices the flowers in my left hand.  “Carnations?  Those are my favorite.  Thanks.  Let me put them in a vase.  I flash her a beaming smile and hand her the flowers.  She takes them from me and goes into the kitchen.  I look around her apartment.  It’s small, but so perfectly Pam.  I notice a watercolor painting by her couch.  It is a beautiful painting.  But I am shocked to see what was painted.  It is a teal teapot.  I smile thinking about that day.  My thoughts are stopped when Pam appears next to me.  She smiles, “That teapot will mean more to me than you will ever know.”  I turn to look at her in the eyes and say, “I know.”  I take her hand in mine and lead her outside to my car.  Once I open the door for her, I go to my side and sit down.  She turns to me and asks, “So where are we going?”  “Well we have two options.”  Pam chuckled.  “Can’t decide Halpert?”  I grin.  “Well I’ve always fantasized about taking you to a super fancy restaurant and letting you get anything you want on the menu.  So I made reservations at Casa Bella.  But I have also dreamed of just hanging out at a diner with you.  Just eating cheeseburgers and fries and maybe kissing occasionally.  I wink at her.  “So I was thinking Glider Diner if we go that route.  So up to you Beesly.  It is our first date after all, so our entire relationship lies in your hands.  “Wow, a tough choice”, she teases.  I mockingly put on a stern face.  “This is no laughing matter Pamela.”  She chuckles.  “Well the Glider Diner sounds fun.  I haven’t been there in ages.”  I nod and put the car into drive.  As I drive to the diner, I keep sneaking looks at Pam.  God, she is beautiful.  At that moment, I realize that I will do everything in my power that I can do to ensure this is the last first date both of us ever have.

Chapter 3 by Ravens8
Author's Notes:
The date...

I am giddy.  Very giddy.  We are walking into the diner and I keep smiling ear to ear.


After all the pain and heartbreak the two of us faced during the past year, we are finally here.


I look at Jim and boldly slip my hand into his.  He gives me a soft smile and interlocks his large hand into my petite one.  He opens the door for me like he always does, but it never ceases to amaze me the differences from Roy.


We walk into the Glider Diner and walk up to the hostess.  “A booth for two please.”  The hostess nods at Jim and leads us to a booth in the back, the diner is surprisingly packed for a Thursday night.  We sit on opposite sides of the booth.


Once the hostess leaves there is an awkward silence for a while.  Finally, Jim musters the courage to start the conversation.  “So, what did I miss today?”


I grin.  “You have no idea.”


Jim chuckles and tells me, “Fire away Beesly.  I have had quite the day also.”


I smile and start to tell him about the crazy day I have had.  “So after that,  Dwight pulls me into his office and tells me that he has made himself his own Assistant Regional Manager and Andy is his number two.  But the best part!  He made me the Secret Assistant to the Regional Manager!”


Jim lets his head roll back in laughter.  He laughs and I laugh, and we laugh until our chests hurt.  It has been too long since we have laughed like this together.


Jim grins at me and asks me, “Did serve your post well?”


I nod.  “I helped him get his point across during his lecture about the origins of paper.”


Jim chuckles and his smile widens.  “Do I even want to know?”


I laugh, “You do.  Dwight brought the seven different types of Pennsylvania topsoil to lecture us.  And of course he gave us the all important question.  What is the most important element in the production of above ground leafy growth?  And if you don't get this question right, you can’t give me a kiss on my doorstep.”  


He sighed, “Well this is a tough question Pam.  I gotta go with, wait what did you say?”


I smile shyly at his exclamation.  “You heard what I said.”


I see him swallow and he chuckles nervously.  “Uh, I gotta go with Carbon Dioxide or phosphorus.  


I shake my head in mock shame, “No Jim.  It’s nitrogen.”  


Jim slaps his forehead with his head.  “Ah darn.  That is a shame.  You sure I can’t kiss you later?”  He gives me an intense stare that is full of many emotions.  Love, challenging, and hope.


I shake my head.  “Nope, I guess I’ll have to be the one to initiate the kiss.”  His jaw literally drops.  I bask in his shock.


“I like Fancy New Beesly.”  I grin.


We are just beaming at each other with nosiness smiles when a waitress comes to our table.  “What can I get for you two kids,” the middle aged waitress asks us.


We blush simultaneously, both knowing that we were enjoying each other’s company far too much to even glance at the menu.  I decide to go with a plain “Cheeseburger and a Coke.”


The waitress nods and scribbles it down on her notepad.  She turns to Jim.  He looks at the menu, “Uh, I’ll have the Tuna Melt and a root beer.”  


She writes it down and says, “Okay, those will be coming right up.”  


Once she walks away, I start giggling.  Jim gives me an amused and confused smile.  “What?”  I can’t stop laughing, but answer his question anyway.


“It looks like Big Tuna does really like tuna.”  Jim rolls his eyes as realization kicks in.


He chuckles, “You’re never gonna let me live that down right Beesly?”  I shake my head and continue to laugh.


Once our laughing dies down I remember another thing I wanted to share with him.  I reach into my purse and pull out a folded piece of paper.  


He looks at me with the beginnings of a smile and a quizzical look.  “What’s this”, he asks with a laugh.


“It’s a Schrute Buck, a motivational tool that is worth a 100th of a cent”, I state simply.  He snorts out a laugh and practically spits out the water he was drinking.


“Okay, why the heck did I apply for the job at corporate?  I missed all this!”  An uncomfortable silence follows.  I look at the table to avoid his eyes.  We have only talked about comfortable topics so far.  There is still the elephant in the room that is called Roy-Karen-Not-Being-A Good-Friend.


Jim touches my hand.  I look up, feeling the course of electricity that is flowing through our joined hands.  “Hey, do you wanna just catch up and laugh like old old times during dinner?  After, we could walk around and go through all the crap”, he softly asks.  I nod.  And from that, dinner goes from eating, to talking about what he did in Stamford, and to funny stories about our pasts.  We were pretty much rekindling our friendships that was so dearly lost since that fateful day in May.


Once we finished our time at the Glider Diner, we went to a park nearby to talk about all the stuff that we have done to hurt each other.  We have been walking for a while, in a comfortable silence, before I start the conversation.  “So… how was your day?”  


I try to get the ball rolling on Karen, but Jim opts to swerve from that for the time being.  “Well, the job we were all interviewing for was Jan’s job.”  Even though I wanted to just get to the confessions and the apologies, I couldn’t resist this.


“Really”, I ask him.


He nods.  “So when Michael told Jan about it, she kinda had a mental breakdown in the lobby.  It didn’t go so well.”  I chuckle, but also look at him intensely.  He puts up his hands in surrender.  “Ok, as you know I broke up with Karen today.  I also withdrew myself from consideration for the corporate job.”


I am unable to stop a small smile creeping upon my face.  Jim looks at me in the eyes.  Those eyes are looking at me with such an intensity that I haven’t seen since the Booze Cruise.  He tilts his head.  He starts to speak softly but with a firm edge.  “God, Pam.  I am so sorry.  I shouldn’t have been with Karen.  She was just a rebound.  I used her and I regret it.  But I regret more for putting you through so much pain this past year.”


I see the sincerity in his eyes, but I can’t stop my emotions from this past year pour out.  “Yeah you put me through hell Halpert.  Do you know what it was like to watch you two all day being intimate and joking around like we used to?  Do you?”  


Jim’s eyes turned to blazing anger.  “To hell I did!  You only had to go through it for 6 months.  Try 3 years!”


We aren’t walking along the path in the park anymore, just staring each other down.  “Oh really?  Roy was in the warehouse, not 10 freakin feet away from me.  And when was the last time you saw Roy and I joke around?  So excuse me!  Don’t you dare tell me that you faced it worse than me!”


Jim looks down at the pavement, hurt by my words.  I suddenly remember the tears in his eyes last May when I said those two awful words.  I know he was hurt just as badly as me, I'm just ranting and pouring out all my anger from the past year.  I step towards Jim.  I take his hand in mine.  “Hey.  Jim, I’m sorry.  I didn’t mean that.  We both know that we were hurt just as badly as each other.  I am just pushing out all the emotions that I kept hidden from the past 6 months.”


He finally looks up and nods.  I decide to push forward.  “Why didn’t you even say goodbye?  Do you know how much that hurt?”  


He pulls his hands away and scoffs at me.  “Really Pam?  What did you expect?  Hey, I know you just rejected me and left me in tears and all, but wanna hug it out ‘cause I’m leaving?  Like really Pam?  Jesus, do you know what that night meant to me?”


I snap.  “Do you know what it meant to me??  I cried for an hour on your desk after you walked away.  But to walk in that Monday and see your desk completely cleared?  God, you’re so blind if you don’t know what that did to me.  When I saw it and heard about the transfer I sprinted down to the hallway and sobbed.  I sobbed and threw up for the next 45 minutes!  The next two days I had to take off because I was dry heaving constantly!  It was like I couldn’t breathe!”


Jim looks at the ground embarrassed.  He walks toward me.  He takes my hands in his.  He looks at me and softly says, “God, Pam.  I have been such an idiot.  I have made so many mistakes.  I probably don’t even deserve you.  But can you forgive me, please?  I know we still have some stuff to talk about, but I need this to work.  I need you.  I’m still in love with you Pam.  I love you so much.  This has been all my fault.  I’ve been such a jerk to you these past few months.  I shouldn’t have left right away.”


I see the pure look of fear and vulnerability in his eyes, hoping for my answer.  I shake my head.  “No, Jim it's my fault.  I lied to you that night.  If I wasn’t so damn scared that night, we could have had this sooner. I had been waiting for those words from you for a long time, and when you finally said them I froze.  God, I am so sorry.”  I bite my lip in anxiety.


Jim refuses to take my apology.  “No, I have acted horribly this year.  I just ignored you.  I have hurt you a lot.  And I…”.  His lane of thought ends, not knowing what to say in this moment of deep emotion.  A tear rolls down my cheek.


I pull my hands away from his and cup his cheek with my hands.  “I’m sorry too.  We have both made a lot of mistakes.  But we have a chance to make it right.  We have the chance to be happy.  I am truly sorry that it took me so long to tell you, but I’m in love with you.  And I have been for so long.  I love you James Halpert.”  A grin breaks across his face.  Jim cups my cheek along with me.  We stare at each other, caught in an intimate gesture with our cheeks united through our hands.  He leans down towards me.  I lean up.  His lips come crashing down on mine.  It is a firm but tender kiss.  It tastes of tuna and root beer.  It tastes like the month of May.  It tastes like periwinkle dresses and black sweaters.  It tastes like rebut but also hope.  It goes on for a few minutes, but to be honest I lost track of time due to the amazing sensations, so who knows how long it’s been.  I eventually pull away.  We open our eyes and look at each other, shy smiles on both of our faces.


“Wow”, Jim whispers.


I grin.  “Yeah that was something huh?”


Jim takes me hand in his and says, “Let’s get you home Beesly.”  I nod and follow him.


When we get back to my apartment, I look at him and ask him, “So when can we do this again?”


He smiles.  “Tomorrow?”


I grin.  But my grin fades as I think about something that I have been dying to ask him all night.  Jim looks at me with concern.  “Hey, can I ask you something?”  He nods.  “What made you come back?  Why now?”


Jim smiles.  “I saw your note and the medal.  And I almost ran out of the interview right then and there.  Then David asked me where I saw myself in 10 years, and all I could think is that I have to fix us.  Because there is no life in 10 years worth living if it’s without you.”  A tear rolls down my cheek.  Jim brushes it away with a caress of his thumb.  I look up at him and all I could think before he leaned down to kiss me again was that God, I’m in love.


 


End Notes:
And that is the end.  Hope you enjoyed.  Hope to continue to write on MTT.
This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=5789