Look how they shine for you by Debutante_gurl
Summary:

What was meant to be a simple drive home becomes a night full of adventure. Based off the song “Yellow” Coldplay. 


Categories: Jim and Pam, Present, Past Characters: Jim, Jim/Pam, Pam, Pam/Roy
Genres: Fluff, Oneshot, Romance, Workdays
Warnings: No Warnings Apply
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1143 Read: 611 Published: August 22, 2021 Updated: August 22, 2021
Story Notes:

I hope you enjoy this story! I’ve had the idea for a while and I’m so glad I finally got around to writing it.

Thank you to my beta!

I own nothing, sadly. 

1. Look how they shine for you. by Debutante_gurl

Look how they shine for you. by Debutante_gurl

It had started out innocent enough, she had just needed a ride home. Roy decided that he wanted to go out with the guys after work, leaving her without a car. So Jim stepped up, and offered to take her home.


But as soon as she got in the car, he knew that they were encroaching on dangerous territory. 


He couldn't take his eyes off her, no matter how hard he tried. Her forehead was pressed against the car window, she was watching the rain fall onto the glass, the street lights reflecting in the thick drops of water. An angel-like glow cast on her face.


“I love this song,” she whispered, her gaze still fixed out the window. “Yellow” by Coldplay was playing, the sweet love song filling the car. 


“Me too,” he said, leaving out the fact that his reason for loving it was sitting right next to him.


“I always wanted someone to dedicate a song like this to me.” she admitted, facing away from the window to look at him. “It's just so romantic.”


“Yeah,” he muttered, “but hey, there's still time.”


She laughed at that, and shook her head. 


“If only she knew,” he thought.


 “Hey, don't count yourself out yet, Beesly, maybe you have lots of romance in your future.”


“God, I hope so.”

-----------

It was just as he was about to turn and drop her off, when she asked if he wanted to get some food. He didn't hesitate to say yes, wanting to keep the night going.


They went through a little 24 hour drive through and got burgers. Sharing glances over greasy fries and sodas in his backseat.


“Ah yes, my artery clogging lover, we meet again.” he said, making her laugh so hard she choked on her food a little. 


She swatted at him, trying to tell him in as playful

a manner as possible to shut the hell up.


“Don’t make jokes when I’m chewing!” She told him through laughter.


“Hey!” He put his hands up in mock surrender, “It’s not my fault that you think my bad jokes are hilarious!”


“You're impossible,” she said, her words telling him one thing, the grin on her face telling him another.


This has been happening more and more lately. Little moments that are just so beautiful, so perfect, that he has to bite his tongue to keep from telling her everything. If only she knew..


But the moment was gone as soon as it came, her causing it to come crashing down with one sentence.


“You know, Roy wanted hamburgers and hot dogs at our wedding.” 


“Oh no,” he said, staring at her blankly. Sometimes Roy just amazes him with the level of stupidity he’s able to show.


“Yeah, but I was able to talk him out of it. Thank god. Crisis averted.” She laughed, fake wiping her brow. 


“I just- hotdogs! Would you guys have a condiment bar or something?” He asked, the smile back on his face. 


“Oh yeah, you're not down for sweet relish at a wedding, Halpert?”


“I mean, to each their own.”


She giggled at his dumb joke before they lapsed into a comfortable silence. Simply enjoying their food and the fact that they were together. Her wedding was approaching fast, and they both know that their time was running out.



“Hey,” he said as she was finishing up the last of her burger. “Do you still have time to do one more thing?”


“Sure,” she told him.


“Great,” he climbed into the front seat and started the car, hoping to sweep her off on one last great adventure.

-----------

“Where are we going?” she asked him as he drove the car up a hill.


“You're about to find out,” he told her, nestling the car into a parking spot. “Follow me.”


He led her to one of his favorite places in Scranton, the overlook.


“Wow,” she breathed out when they reached the lookout. “It’s…wow.”


The city was lit up like a Christmas tree, brilliant lights in any color you could imagine, and above it, was a sky full of stars. It was breathtaking, more beautiful than any painting he has ever seen. Yet the true beauty was the woman standing next to him, more radiant that any view ever could be.


“Isn’t it amazing?” He questioned her. She simply nodded in return, still taking it all in.


He wished that he had the privilege of loving her out in the open on nights like these. Of kissing her silly and holding her tight. Of being her person, the one planning her wedding with her, the one starting a life with her. But instead he has the privilege of being her best friend, her ally against the world, and he would take that over nothing any day.


He watched as she lay down in the grass, her curls glowing in the moonlight. He took the place next to her, sitting on the ground even if he knows damn well that it will stain his work pants. 


She was pointing out the constellations. The Little Dipper, Big Dipper, and Ursa Major being her favorite.


“Penny and I used to do this when we were kids,” she told him, speaking in a hushed tone. “It was one of my favorite things back then, I remember thinking that the stars were shining extra bright just for me.”


if only she knew. In his eyes the stars have only even shined for her, the universe trying to match her light. Her eyes are forever as beautiful as the cosmos to him, her presence eclipsing the sun.


She turned her head to look at him, her eyes sparkling. 


“Thank you,” she whispered, “just, thank you, for everything.”


Before he could respond he was rendered speechless by the feeling of her hand slipping into his. She squeezed his hand twice, her grip tight, she wasn't letting go.


“Your welcome, Beesly.”

-----------

He wound up finally dropping her off around eleven, Roy’s car still nowhere to be found.


She sighed at the sight of the empty driveway, the disappointment apparent on her face. 


“Thanks for the ride,” she said as she got out of the car. “I had a really fun time.”


“Me too, see you tomorrow, Pam” he told her, his final smile of the night coming across his face.



He plugged in his iPod to the aux cord before driving off. He needed to hear a song for the second time that night.


“Look at the stars, look how they shine for you, and everything you do, yeah, they were all yellow,” Chris Martin sang as the song came on.


He wished that he could bottle this feeling, this joy, this peace, and keep it forever. She had held his hand, and it was magical. His everything had held him tight, and marveled at the beauty of the night sky. It was the best night of his life.


“Do you know, for you, I'd bleed myself dry, for you, I'd bleed myself dry. It's true, look how they shine for you, look how they shine for you.”

End Notes:
Thank you for reading! Feel free to leave a review or a jellybean, I would love to hear from you!
This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=6078