- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Nothing belongs to me. And not just the story nothing, but I mean everything nothing. This story idea came to me when I was listening to Tim McGraw's song Don't Take the Girl, which is an awsome song. He is a youtube link to the video if you want to hear the song, which is highly recommended, cuz it rocks, and it will help expalin the ending of the story. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vUv8BGCHMM It differs a little bit from the song, but is still strongly based on it. Anyways, hope you like it. I've never done a mainly Jim POV story, so pardon me if it's a little off. :D

Five Times Jim Almost Loses Pam

1) Casino Night

 

It was over. He was done. He was tired of the hidden smiles and longing glances. The double meanings and the awkward silences. She was getting married in little less than a month, and he was transferring. He was going to tell her he was leaving for Stamford, and that would be that. Just say, Pam, I’m leaving. Goodbye. Sure, it would be harsh. He didn’t want to hurt her, but he was sure she didn’t want to hurt him, and look at the past three years.

 

“Hey, Halpert! Keep an eye on her, all right?”

 

“Okay, will do.”

 

Shit. He was not ready to talk to her right now. Not tonight, when she was positively glowing in that evil blue dress, her hair in big soft curls, her skin- Stop it Jim. Just stop. You’re friends, and friends aren’t aloud to think like that.

 

“Hey, how's it going?”

 

“Good. Especially after I took all your money in poker.”

 

“Yeah. Uh...hey, can I talk to you about something?” This is it, I’m just gonna tell her I’m transferring.

 

“About when you wanna give me more of your money?”

Jesus, can’t she stop joking? Is it possible for her to stop smiling and take something seriously?

 

“Did you wanna do that now?”

No, I want to kiss you know.

 

“We can go inside. I'm feeling kinda good tonight.”

 

“I was just, um...” I was just going to tell you that I’m transferring to another state because I’m so freaking in love with you that sometimes I don’t even want to wake up because I know you’re not mine and your engaged to the wrong man and I can’t have you because for some reason you love him and I want to tell you so badly that,

 

“I'm in love with you.”

 

And that’s when it all went to hell.

 

 

2) Walking Out

“Jim, hi grandmother died! What was I supposed to do?”

 

“You made out with him-“

 

“I did not make out-“

 

“What did I walk in on then?”

 

“I was about to leave, I gave him a kiss on the cheek and he-“

 

“Oh really?”

 

“Don’t interrupt me. I’m trying to explain to you-“

 

“So what if I do? How am I supposed to feel Pam? Last time someone just kissed you like that-“

 

“Oh, I can’t believe you’re comparing that to this! That was totally different and you know it!”

 

“Whatever.”

 

“Fuck you!”

 

SLAM!

 

Their first real fight. Pam can’t believe it. How can Jim possibly be jealous of Roy? It wasn’t even her fault. She kissed him goodbye, on the cheek, and he took it the wrong way and kissed her. Like his life depended on it. But it felt wrong, she didn’t return it. And Jim walked in to get a soda and saw. He stood there, and then walked away. Pam chased after him, not caring that the whole office saw, or what they would think. Once at home (her apartment), the yelling began.

 

Jim just needed some time to cool off. It wasn’t that he was mad at her really, its just that it hurt. It hurt him to see her kissing, or being kissed, or whatever happened, by her ex-fiancé in the break room, where anyone could walk in. He’d said some stuff that he hadn’t meant, and some that he had. He regretted it all. Pam was stubborn, she could hold a grudge. What if she took his walking out as a break up? What if she went back to Roy? He’d thought about this kinda stuff before, but now it actually seemed possible. He had to fix this. He was about half an hour from her apartment, having been driving around Scranton for a while now. He made the next right, and headed home.

 

 

Walking in, Jim called her name softly and cautiously. “Pam,”

 

He didn’t have to look very far to find her. Sitting on the floor in a heap, shaking with silent tears, right where she was when he left, was Pam. His heart shattered to see her like that, and know that he caused it. He knelt down to her and put a hand on her shoulder. She collapsed into his arms, and he held her tightly while she cried. Once she seemed to stop, she pulled away from him enough to look up at him.

 

“Don’t ever do that again.”

 

“Never.” He answered without having to ask what she meant.

 

“I’m sorry,”

“I’m sorry,” they said at the same time.

 

A small smile, a faint laugh, and a look of love. They said this at the same time too.

 

“I love you.”

“I love you.”

 

 

3) Third Public Date

 

“Jim, I’m trying to watch the movie.” Pam giggled.

 

“No you’re not.”

 

“Yes I am. This guy is cute, so quit it.”

 

“Cuter than me?”

 

“Shh!” an older woman with her son turned to shush them..

 

Pam lowered her head, blushing profusely. Jim took his arm from around her and sat there innocently with his hands in his lap. “Sorry.” He whispered.

 

The woman glared at them for a few more seconds, then turned back around to finish the movie.

 

Pam elbowed Jim in the ribs, and they were both trying desperately not to laugh.

 

 

“So that was a good movie.” Jim said as they walked out of the theatre in to the lobby. He had his arm around Pam’s shoulders, and she was leaning into his frame as they walked. They hadn’t watched much of the movie, but from what they did catch between make-out sessions, it was okay. This was their third public date. The other ten or so times, they planned to go out, but ended up staying inside doing, other things. Things that, after that time in the mall dressing room, Pam made Jim promise they would never do in public again. So going out was somewhat rare now.

 

Just before they walked outside, Pam stopped. “I have to pee.” Jim gave her a is-that-code-or-do-you-really-have-to-pee look, and she stuck her tongue out at him and walked away towards the washrooms.

 

Just before she pushed open the door, Jim saw a man grab her by the arm. He was about to run over, when the man put a gun to her head.

“Everyone on the ground now! I want all the money from the registers, or this chicks brains paint the wall.” The gun-man yelled.

 

Everyone dropped to the floor. Jim was terrified, but went down anyways. He never broke eye contact with Pam, trying to tell her everything would be okay. There were children crying, babies screaming, and the staff were trying to get the money together as fast as possible.

 

Jim could see out of the corner of his eye a teenage boy hiding behind a plant on his cellphone. No doubt calling the police, Jim was grateful and scared at the same time. If the gun-man saw him, Pam was surely dead. But, if he didn’t, the cops would come, and this would all be over. Jim had to keep the gun-mans attention off the kid by any way possible.

 

“So what are you gonna do after you get the money, huh? You think you can just walk away?” Jim asked.

 

“Jim, don’t-“

 

“Shut it kid. There ain’t no cops, and if these people would just hurry up,” he pointed the gun towards the desk, and the staff froze, then went faster. “I could get outta here before they come.” At this, he shot at the plant the boy was hiding behind.

 

“Put down the goddamn phone!” he yelled.

 

The bullet missed the boy, Jim wasn’t sure if it was intentional or not, and he crawled out from behind the plant. He dropped the phone and laid down on the ground like everyone else. The gun-man didn’t notice the kid in time though, because just then, about twenty cruisers could be seen through the doors, there sirens heard loud and clear. One of the officers had a megaphone, and he called instructions out.

 

“We have you surrounded. Come outside without your weapon, hands raised. Don’t make us come in after you.”

 

“The money,” a young woman crawled over to the gun-man, and handed a bag to him. She was about to crawl away, but the gun-man kicked her in the stomach, and she collapsed.

 

“Oh my god. What did she do?” Pam asked.

 

“Pam, don’t-“

 

“Shut up bitch.” The gun-man warned.

 

“No, she didn’t do anything. She gave you your money, and you just kicked her.”

 

“I said shut-“

 

The gun-man was interrupted by someone tackling him to the ground. The gun went off. Jim practically jumped over to Pam, who was out of the struggle. Police were rushing in, movie-goers were rushing out.

 

“Oh god, are you okay?” Jim was alternating between hugging Pam so tight she almost couldn’t breathe, to checking her out for injuries. She was stiff and shaking. Jim was so worried she might’ve hit her head when she fell. He stopped somebody on their way out and told them Pam needed an ambulance.

 

At hearing the ambulance talk, Pam spoke. “I’m fine Jim. Just a little shaken. Can we go home?”

 

“Yeah, c’mon.” Jim helped Pam stand. She was a little dizzy at first, cause truth be told, she did hit her head when she fell, but it didn’t feel serious. Once she was steadied, they walked outside and got in the car. Maybe going out for dates would be a little more rare for a while.

 

 

4) A Whole Year

 

It really was a great opportunity. An across Europe art program. A whole year. Paris, Italy, Rome. A whole year. Hotels, travel, and basic necessities paid for. A whole year. How could she not take it? He would kill her if she didn’t take it. Him. Jim. The most important person in her life at the moment. The person she would miss the most for that whole year. The person who couldn’t come because he was just made Corporate Vice President of Dunder Mifflin. The person who first encouraged her to apply to the program. The person who just pulled into the driveway.

 

“Honey, I’m home!” Jim had the cheesiest ways of greeting her when he got home. She would miss that.

 

“Jim, I got a letter from the art program.” She said walking into the living room of their tiny apartment.

 

“What did it say?” he asked taking off his bag and jacket and hanging them up.

 

“I got accepted into the high level class.”

 

Jim ran over to her and took her into a big hug. The one that made his arms wrap almost double around her. “That’s great! I knew you could do it, I’m so proud of you!” He smiled and gave her a kiss. When she just barley hugged him back, and didn’t seem to be that excited, Jim pulled back a little. “Whats wrong?”

 

“It’s a year long across Europe trip.” She said it all in one breathe, as if saying it fast would make it better.

 

“Oh,” He was not aware of that when he encouraged her to apply. He walked over to the old sunken couch to sit down, Pam followed. A year, Jim thought. She would be following her dreams, doing what she loved. On another continent, without me. Following her dreams. A whole year. Without me. A different continent. Following her dreams.

“You should go.”

 

Pam was startled a little at hearing his voice. She could tell from the look on his face and the sound in his voice that he had been thinking hard. “What?’

 

“You’re an amazing artist. They obviously think so to,” he indicated to the letter now resting on the coffee table. He looked her in the eye. “This is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and you deserve this more than anyone else.”

 

“But-“

 

“If you don’t go, then I will. All expenses paid, Pam. All over Europe. You’ll go and have and-“

 

“Do you want me to go?” Pam interrupted, uncertainty evident in her voice.

 

“This isn’t about me.”

 

“It sounds like your trying to get rid of me. Like you don’t want me around, like you don’t love me,”

 

Jim stopped her by kissing her on the lips. It took a second for her to give in, but Jim put everything he had at that moment into the kiss, and she did to. She clung to his sleeves when they were finished.

 

“Pam, its because I love you that I want you to go. This is, like, the best program ever right?” Jim reached to his arms and grabbed her hands in his.

 

“Yes.”

 

“They only take the best right?” Jim knew what he was doing.

 

Pam knew what he was doing. “Yes.”

 

“And you want to go, right?” Jim smiled.

 

Pam smiled. “Yes.”

 

“Then lets get you packed.”

 

 

‘Last call for flight 123 to Paris, France. All passengers please board the plane now. That’s Last call for,”

“I guess I have to go.”

 

“I guess so.”

 

They had talked, cried, fought, and finally settled on her going. Jim would visit her four times. He had already planned the dates with work, according to her schedule. Jim wasn’t looking forward to Pam spending a whole year alone over there. What with all the ‘hott’ European guys, and the fact that he would miss her terribly, he didn’t want her to go. What if she met someone over there? They weren’t exactly that serious. Maybe he should’ve proposed. But no, they weren’t quite ready for that step, and when he told her all of this, she had assured him that no matter where they were, her heart would always belong to him.

 

“I love you.” Pam kissed him one again.

 

“I love you too.” He kissed her back, and then kissed the tears off her cheeks. “I’ll be right here when you get back.”

 

She smiled, “You better be.”

 

They kissed once more. She turned, handed her boarding pass to the woman, and blew him a kiss as the woman shut the door. He caught it and pocketed it before she disappeared.

 

He went over to the huge windows overlooking the runway. He watched her and few other last minute passengers climb the stairs. They took the stairs away, and closed the door. She sat in a window seat, ten rows back, just as they had calculated. She waved at him, even though it would be a miracle if she actually saw him from where she was. The plane started to go down the runway, and he watched until it was just a little dot against the bright blue sky. Three months, and I’ll meet her in Rome, Jim thought.

 

 

5) Bundle of Joy

“Jim,”

 

“Five more minutes mom.” Jim mumbled, rolling over onto his stomach.

 

Pam rolled her eyes and shook his shoulder. “Jim,”

 

“What?” he turned his head and peaked through one eye.

 

“Its time.” she smiled.

 

At this, Jim practically leaped out of bed. “Okay, I’ve got the bags. I’ll call your mom, I’ll go get the car started,”

 

“You’ll put some clothes on cause you’re not taking me to the hospital in your boxers.” Pam said in a mock frantic tone. “Jim, relax. The first stages of labor can take hours. Okay, so just calm,” Pam stopped suddenly.

 

“Pam, are you okay? What’s,” Jim rushed over to her, worried out of his mind.

 

“Contractions dummy.” She smiled up at him. “Totally normal. Will you please relax, you’re starting to make me freak out.”

 

 

“Good morning. My name is Dr. Shrute. So, how are the contractions coming Mrs. Halpert?”

 

“Good. They’re about every two minutes or so-“

 

“I’m sorry, but what did you say your name was?” Jim interrupted.

 

“Dr. Shrute,” he answered slowly.

 

Pam gave Jim a don’t-piss-off-the-man-with-the-drugs look, and turned to apologize to Dr. Shrute. “Please excuse him,” she pointed over her shoulder to Jim. “We just know someone with the last name Shrute, so,”

 

“Ah, yes. I know who you’re talking about. A lot of my patients mention that. Don’t worry, no relation.” he assured them.

 

Jim sighed overdramatically, which made Pam giggle. A few minutes later, the doctor said, “Okay, you’re ready to deliver.”

 

 

“Here she is!”

 

“Oh my god. She’s so tiny. Pam I can’t believe, Pam?”

 

Pam had just, from what Jim could tell, fainted. A nurse rushed the baby away, another started to usher Jim out of the room, and the rest of the doctors and nurses were crowded around Pam yelling stuff to each other.

 

“Pam? What’s going on wit my wife?”

 

“Mr. Halpert, you have to leave, we’ll do all we can to save her.”

 

“Save her? Whats wrong with her? Pam!”

Two more nurses had to come over to get Jim out of the room and into the hall. He watched as they wheeled her out of the room and down the hall, yelling things back and forth to each other, and he felt helpless. He was told to sit down, and that someone would be with him shortly, and the three nurses walked away. Jim sat there for an undetermined amount of time, his face in his hands, waiting on the unknown. What happened? One minute she was fine. He was holding her hand. The baby came, their daughter, and, well, he didn’t know what happened. He suddenly got a really strong urge to pray, though he couldn’t ever remember being that into God.

 

God, he started. Hey there. This is Jim. Listen, I know that I haven’t ever really done this before, an I’m not sure what to do, but I could really use your help right now. Pleas, we’ve both been through so much, together and apart, good and bad. Pleas, just let her be okay. If I could, I would take her place. Take me instead. She so wanted this baby. She’s been looking forward to being a mom forever. And I know she’ll be a great one, I know it. Please, just don’t take the girl.

Jim’s prayer was interrupted by a nurse with a clipboard.

 

“Mr. Halpert?”

 

The End

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Don't throw dog hair at me, I know the ending is a big cliff hanger. If you've ever heard the song I mentioned above, then you'll understand it, if not, then you should. I still hate end notes. :P


bloomsgirl is the author of 13 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Don't Take the Girl also liked 522 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans