- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Author's Chapter Notes:

This is my second Fanfic so, just bare with me! I would like to thank Peskipiksi for the Beta! You're great! And to everyone else, I would like to hear what I need to edit and what you liked.

I used two songs in this story like with my first Fanfic, Over My Head. "My little Buttercup" and "Just the Way You Look Tonight." You will recognize the songs from the movie The Three Amigos and the other by Tony Bennett.

Enjoy!

////V-Day Prank/////

Pam was sitting at her desk staring blankly at her computer. Her game of solitaire was starting to bore her. It was time to either answer her voice mails or move on to Sudoku. She chose to pick up the phone and start answering her messages. There were several from Corporate trying to get a hold of Michael and several others pertaining to Dwight’s deer urine order off the net. Pam sighed and deleted all the messages. It was also Valentines Day and the flowers and gifts were a continuous flow all throughout the day. Pam felt miserable, especially since she didn’t have a date on Valentines and this was her first year without one in a long time.

Jim heard Pam sigh from behind. He turned in his chair to see what was troubling her.

“Are you okay Pam?”

“Oh, I’m great. Just dying of boredom. How much longer must I take this?”

Jim glanced at his watch and replied, “You have about five more hours of this place.”

“That’s not good news at all.”

Pam glanced at Jim’s desk which already had several Valentines Day bouquets and candies all over it.

“Who is sending you all the lovely valentines?” Pam knew the answer to that question but decided to play along.

Jim actually had no idea who the flowers and the candy was from but he sure did like that someone was admiring him. He and Karen had broken up after their conversations that spanned over the past week.

“I don’t know. Most of these cards are left blank. I think I might need to hide out for a long time until my stalker cools off,” Jim said as he flicked one of the carnations sitting by his phone.

“I would be afraid to eat any of the chocolates. They might be tainted with poison.” Pam joked.

“I have already tested them. I gave Dwight one about half an hour ago and he still seems to be alive and kicking. But who knows what kind of drugs are already in his system.”

They both glanced at Dwight who was standing near the water cooler trying to get the gossip from the other water cooler dwellers. He leaned close to Stanley and Oscar with his cup of coffee in his hand. Dwight was bad at undercover work.

----

Jim came over to Pam’s desk when he got bored with his sales calls. He grabbed a jellybean off the counter and placed in his mouth. He leaned over the desk to see what Pam was working on.

“What are you up to now? Solitaire? Sudoku? In a dirty chat room?”

Pam laughed. “How did you know that dirty chat rooms where my guilty pleasure?”

“Didn’t I chat with you in one recently? What was your name, uhhhh….Green Eggs and Pam?” Jim jokingly stated after putting another Jelly Belly into his mouth.

“You’re good. Were you Slim Jim or Cyber Jim? There are too many to remember.”

They both laughed. Jim shot Pam one of his amazing smiles and she quickly glanced back at her computer monitor. Jim retracted his smile and made more conversation to lighten the awkward mood.

“So, what are your plans for tonight? Cyber date?"

“No. I think I am going home to watch some chick flicks. My typical Valentines Day. What are you up to?”

“Actually, I don’t know yet. I might just hang out at home or go out for some drinks. My typical Valentines Day.”

“I see.” Pam said as she averted her eyes towards Karen then to her computer screen.

Jim's phone rang and Jim slapped the desk and turned to answer, “Talk to you in a few.”

Just as Jim was walking back to his desk, a delivery man came in with a package that was neatly wrapped with a large red ribbon. Pam took the box and read the card. She smiled and signed for the box. She then turned to Jim’s desk and cleared her throat.

“Ahem. Mr. Halpert, you have another valentine.” Pam said smiling from ear to ear.

Jim turned in his chair and stared at the box. “What?” He told his client he would give them a call back and walked over to Pam’s desk where the gift lay.

Pam urged him to open it up. “Come on Jim, open it. I want to see!”

“I think I can wait. I’m afraid what this might be. You never know if my mother sent me underwear.”

“I bet she did. What kind? Under-roos? Whitey tighties? A thong? Let's find out!"

“I don’t think so," Jim said with a shake of his head.

“Come on. I haven’t got anything all day but some roses from my mom. Please?”

“Fine.” Jim turned the gift around to face him and read the card:

"To Jim. Have a Hammy Valentines Day."

Hammy? What in the world?" Jim turned the card over several times searching for the culprits signature. "No name. Who is sending me stuff?” Jim said out loud. He looked up at Pam then over to where Karen was glancing in his direction. He gave her the ‘are you doing this?’ look. Karen shook her head and went back to typing on her keyboard. He pulled the ribbon off and tore the paper. He popped open the box and pulled out a large lunchbox. Jim laughed at the site of the enormous container and pushed the top down to open it. By this time, the whole office was watching him open his gift. The inside was filled with a loaf of white bread, a package of cheese and a pound of smoked ham. Jim’s face lit up and laughed along with Pam. Meredith stood at her desk and hollered across the office.

“Any liquor in there Jim?” Meredith stood at her desk and hollered across the office. Creed immediately turned to hear the answer to her question.

Jim shockingly looked at her and grinned, “Not in this lunchbox. I’m sure you could find some in yours though.”

As Michael came out of his office to see what Jim was doing, Meredith sat back in her seat as Creed gave her a look of wonderment.

“Jim, who is the secret admirer?”

“I don’t know Michael, that would defeat the purpose of a secret admirer. And, I think someone is playing a joke on me,” Jim said as he glanced at Pam.

“No. It looks like someone is hitting on you. Someone doesn’t just send your favorite lunch for no reason. Someone loves you Jim Bag. You are irresistible! You and me are the office hotties. Yup. My secret admirer should be sending me stuff any minute." Michael said hitting Jim in the arm.

Office hotties? Uh, thanks Michael. I’m not sure if that’s a compliment or not. Anyways…..“ Jim turned and faced Pam. She was smiling and rocking back and forth on her heels. Jim smiled and just shook his head in disbelief.

“What?” Pam said still teetering back and forth.

“'What?' I get all these flowers, candy, and now a complete lunch for two weeks and your asking me 'what'. You must know something Beesly.”

“No. Seriously. I think you have a stalker. I would talk to Dwight if I were you. If it isn’t him, he could help you investigate. He has connections.”

“Oh no. I think it's someone else. Trust me, I give really good paybacks.” Jim said with a wink.

Pam laughed and sat down and quickly pretended to be working. Jim carried his gift back to his desk which was covered with gifts from this mystery person. Pam knew that Jim was positive it was her. He didn’t seem upset that she was embarrassing him. There was more to come, so she just waited patiently.

-----

After lunch, the office was covered with flowers and other gifts from the office employees spouses and families. Phyllis got another double portion of gifts from Bob Vance like she had last year. She was happy with her turnout. Dwight got a Swiss Army knife from his secret admirer and Michael got a lovely new clock from his mother, who is also known as his secret admirer. Everyone had a great day and the gifts were still coming in full steam.

A man in a red and white striped suit came in and asked Pam, “Is there a Mr. James Halpert in the building?”

Pam just blushed and turned towards Jim in her chair. Jim didn’t move an inch. He heard the man asking for him but didn’t want to give away his location. He just sat in his chair staring at his desk. Pam stood up and pointed to Jim, “Why yes! He is the guy sitting right there.”

Jim still didn’t budge from his spot. Pam knew what he was thinking, No movements Jim. He won’t see you.

The man went over to the door and called in the rest of the quartet. All of them wore the same red and white suit and they had nice white hats on their heads. One man walked over to Jim and said, “We have a sing-a-gram for you Mr. Halpert.”

Jim turned, “Oh me? I didn’t order any sing-a-gram. I think you might be in the wrong office.”

“No sir. We have a special delivery for you! Happy Valentines Day Mr. Halpert.”

Pam just stood behind her desk staring and smiling at the quartet. Jim put his hands on his head and hid his face. He was beet red and didn’t have the guts to look up at his coworkers. Dwight looked pleasantly surprised and Michael looked like he was going to join in. Then they began to sing:

My little buttercup has the sweetest smile
Dear little buttercup, won't you stay awhile

Pam was now backed up against a poster on the wall behind her desk. She had her hand over her mouth and thoroughly laughing. She was trying to hold it in, but couldn’t. Jim’s face was priceless. He stared at the men that were serenading him and nodded his head in agreement to the tune from the Three Amigos. Finally they were getting to the last verse of the song. Jim sang along with them. Soon, the whole office was singing the last verse of the song in unison.

You and I will settle down in a cottage built for two, oh

Dear little buttercup
Sweet little buttercup,
My little buttercup
I love you

Jim stood and clapped. Everyone gave the men a great standing ovation as they bowed. One of the men went out in the hall and brought in a balloon with a bag of Jelly Bellies tied to the end. Jim laughed and thanked the men for their services. The office was cracking up and still in an uproar over Jim’s funny little valentine sing-a-long.

When the men walked out of the room Jim walked behind Pam’s desk to where she was backed up against the wall. He sat his jellybeans on her desk and came right towards her.

“Listen Beesly, is there anything else that I need to be aware of? I don’t think I can take another surprise or gift to carry out to my car tonight. You better fess up!”

He put his hands on her shoulders, pressing her to the wall. Pam threw her hands up and shook her head no.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about Jim! I have nothing up my sleeves!” Pam said as she burst out in laughter. Jim just shook his head and grinned. He was having a heck of a Valentines Day all because Pam was pulling pranks on him. He released her from the wall and grabbed his jellybeans before retreating to his desk.

Holding up the bag of jellybeans Jim mouthed, “I’m not sharing with you!”

Pam smiled and skipped back to her chair. She was pleasantly surprised that Jim was having a good time as well. She would always remember this day. It was going down in the history books!

----

Pam had her computer shut down, her coat in her hands and her purse sitting on her desk. She was ready to head out the door. She then thought that she should ask Jim if he needed help getting all his gifts to his car.

“Do you need any help there Mr. Halpert?” Pam said as she tugged on his shirt sleeve. He just shook his head and kept putting his things in his bag. Pam asked, “What’s wrong? Are you having a bad Valentines Day or something?”

Jim turned to look at her. He just smiled and finished gathering all his presents and belongings. They were the only two left in the office besides Meredith who had found some liquor at lunch and was having trouble putting her coat on.

“Can I help you? Please let me help you Jim!” Pam said as she pleaded with her eyes jokingly.

Jim handed her the lunchbox, “Here. You can carry this.”

“Wow. This is nice. I wonder who would send you all this stuff?” Pam said sarcastically.

“I don’t know. It's not like I have a girlfriend or anything.”

Pam laughed because she was aware that Karen and Jim were seeing each other. “Oh yeah. Karen didn’t get you anything?”

Jim looked down and then answered sheepishly. “We broke things off Pam. Like a week or so ago, so I know that none of this is from her.”

“Oh. I am so sorry. I had no idea or I wouldn’t have done all this.” Pam was honestly very upset that she made Jim look like he was already in another relationship. She hoped that Karen didn’t think he was already seeing someone else so soon after they broke up. “I feel like total trash now.”

“No Pam. This is hilarious. It was the best Valentines Day that I have ever had. Thank you for everything.” Jim said as he led their conversation out and onto the elevator.

“I had no idea.”

“Stop apologizing. She isn’t going to be mad. If so, that’s what she gets for assuming I’m in another relationship already. I'll make sure she knows it was all a prank. Don’t worry.”

“I feel so bad. I didn’t mean for it to look this way.” Pam said as she walked out of the elevator and out towards the parking lot.

“Stop. It will be okay. I had a blast and by the looks of it, you did too. That’s what its all about.”

Pam could tell that Jim was getting annoyed by her apologies. She decided to stop and just help him get his things into his car. After they loaded all his flowers, stuffed animals, lunchbox, and candies, Jim shut the door and leaned up against his car.

“So…thanks for a great V-Day!”

“My pleasure. I just hope that it's one that you will remember forever.”

“Are you kidding me? It's going to burned into my memory. Along with ‘My little Buttercup.’”

They both laughed and stood in the silence for a few seconds. Pam decided that it was her time to exit.

“Well, I hope you have a nice evening.” Pam said with a wave as she turned away from Jim.

“You too. Let me know if you are bored. We can totally go to Poor Richards or something.”

“I don’t know. I got four movies calling my name at home. On days like this, I just need to curl up in a ball on my couch and watch some movies," Pam said. She was trying to avoid going out in public with him so soon after his break up. What would that look like?

“I see. I guess I will see you Monday then.”

“Yup. See you then. Night Jim.”

“Happy Valentines Day Pam. Goodnight!”

They both got into their cars and went their separate ways. Pam felt happy that all her pranks went well and that Jim had a great laugh. She knew that he would enjoy the jokes and gifts. She smiled knowing that her day was amazing and that she had a great evening ahead- alone in her house watching tear-jerkers. Not something that she normally would do, but since she was single, she liked having her special nights to veg-out.

----

Pam got home and threw on some jeans and a t-shirt. She made some popcorn and poured herself a glass of grape soda. The first movie was one she hadn’t seen before. She popped it in and sat down on her love seat. As soon as the previews were over the door bell rang. She paused the movie and opened the door. No one was there. She looked down and there was a basket with a ribbon tied to it.

Pam picked up the basket and stood in her doorway while pulling out the contents. Inside the basket was some of her favorite movies. She pulled out Spinal Tap, Dazed and Confused, Princess Bride and a few others she had always liked. She smiled and looked around outside her door. No one in sight.

She took the basket and the movies into the living room and set them on the coffee table. She dug through the contents of the basket and found some candy and other sweet items. She thought the only one who would have done this was Jim. But what if it was Roy? What if it was from him and she actually enjoyed the present? She decided to call Jim to see if he was the culprit. It took her all she had to dial the number. She had to find out.

Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring.

“ Heeeellllooo Pam. Took you long enough.”

“Where are you?”

“Downstairs.”

“Okay. I’ll be right down.”

“Great.”

Click.

Even though she knew Jim was the one to deliver her a surprise she was still excited to go downstairs to see him. She felt like a little kid again on Christmas morning.

Pam grabbed a hoodie and jogged down the stairs to the apartment complex’s grassy lawn. Jim was standing next to a picnic table wearing a pair of jeans and a sports jacket. Pam smiled as she saw him sway in the cold trying to muster up some warmth. Next to him was the four men Pam saw earlier in the office, all wearing their white hats and ready to sing a song. Jim held out his arms and said, “Happy Valentines Day Pam!”

Pam just laughed and put her hands over her face to cover her embarrassment from the quartet. Jim walked over to her and gave the instruction to the singers.

“Hit it boys!”

The quartet then jumped into performance mode and starting singing. Pam swooned at the beginning lyrics of the song.

Someday, when I’m awfully low
when the world is cold
I will feel a glow, just thinking of you
and the way you look tonight.

Pam looked over to Jim who was looking down at her. She was surprised that Jim would have done all this for her. She stood there listening to the prefect harmonies of the quartet until Jim grabbed her hand and asked, “No swaying this time. Want to dance?"

Pam smiled and nodded while Jim took up her other hand and placed his hand on her hip. They slow danced until the song was over. They didn’t speak, they just hummed along and swayed. Pam thought it was so beautiful and she couldn’t believe she hadn’t ever seen this side of Jim. She saw him vulnerable before, like the night he told her his feelings, but she never saw him romantic. He was very good at being romantic.

The dance ended with Jim spinning Pam and the lyrics ending with:

Because I, I love you
just the way you look tonight.

The quartet clapped and wished them a Happy Valentines Day. Pam stood there in disbelief. Jim grinned.

“Jim, that was perfect. Thank you.“ Pam said stunned.

“No problem. I told you that I owed you one.” Jim said while slipping his hands into his pockets.

“It was beautiful. I have never had that happen before.”

“Sadly, I have had that happen before.” Jim laughed as he pointed to the quartet getting into their vehicle.

“Well, thanks.” Pam paused to think about what the next step to the evening would be. “Do you want to watch some movies with me? I have plenty for twelve hours of non-sop movie mania. Plus, all the grape soda you can handle.” Pam suggested.

“Sounds great. You know I'm a sucker for some grape soda.” With a smile and a jump to her step, Pam turned to go back to her apartment. Within a few steps of her door, Jim had grabbed her arm to stop her.

“Pam, before we do anything else, can I talk to you for a second?”

“Sure.” Pam said as she looked up and blinked her eyes several times.

Jim stepped back and looked at his feet. Pam could see that he was having trouble mustering up the words to speak. She knew in her heart of hearts that he was trying to tell her how he felt, again. She was nervous and her mind quickly start conjuring up ways to respond. With her mind racing and her heart pounding, Pam’s mouth seemed to want to catch up.

“Jim, I…” Pam started to blurt out a sentence she hadn’t thought through entirely. She stopped mid-sentence.

He looked up eagerly listening and then noticed that she, too, was at a loss for words. He held out his hands palm up between the two of them. As he looked down at them, Pam knew her response should be to put her hands in his. As she did, his head slowly lifted to face her. Pam’s heart jumped and danced with every breath they both took.

Pam felt the warmth from his hands. She felt the memory of the night when he had confessed his feelings creep up on her. He had held her hands as they spoke after the kiss, then he had gently let her hands fall out of his. It broke her heart that she let him go. She didn’t want that to happen again.

As Jim stood looking into Pam’s eyes, he took a deep breath and shifted his weight to his other leg. Pam knew he was still digging for his next words.

“Pam, I don’t know what I am doing. I'm at a total loss.” He darted his eyes several times during those words. Pam’s heart sank, feeling that she was wrong about assuming what he was going to say.

“Can I be honest for a second?”

Pam nodded.

“I'm not going to lie about not being hurt. I was angry Pam. Maybe not at you, but at the situation. I messed up royally. I put my feelings out there weeks before your wedding. I was foolish. But, I still feel the uneasiness and anger about it all.”

Pam waited for more of what Jim had to say. She could see his eyes glistening and his face flushed. She wanted to say something to take back all those months of awkward conversations and keeping up appearances between them.

“I told Karen about when I kissed you. She and I talked it out. She said it was fine since it was in the past. Then she asked me what I thought about you now, and…I told her that I still had feelings for you. She cried and I told her that I couldn’t do this to her or you anymore.”

“Jim, I didn’t want you to break up with Karen. You knew what you were doing when you all decided to date. You don’t have to include my feelings into your life.”

“I had to include mine though. Pam, you don’t have to act on any of what I’m about to ask, but can you just tell me what you see for…us?”

Pam hesitated to blurt out an answer. She took a deep breath, licked her lips, and squeezed his hands.

“Jim, I….feel….” she started then she let her feelings turn into tears that began to stream down her face. She let go of Jim’s hands to wipe and hide the tears. Jim grabbed her hands and held them again. He waited for her to speak again.

“I feel….so blessed to know you. I am a better person because of you. When you left, it hurt me. Trust me, I felt the pain too. But, Jim, I don’t want to be the rebound girl.”

“Pam, that is not at all what you are. You have always been more to me than a friend or a rebound girl. I can’t believe you think that's what I'm doing here.” Jim said as he looked away from her.

“I’m sorry. I just don’t want to do this too soon. You just broke up with someone else. You're hurt.”

“No. It hurt when I had to walk out the door the last time we spoke about this and I’m pretty sure I can feel it happening again.”

“Jim, no. I don’t want you to leave here upset with me. Can you see where I’m concerned though?”

“I've always loved you. There is no one that compares to you.”

Pam grinned, “Jim, I can’t tell you how much….”

Jim interrupted quickly, suddenly getting a wind of boldness, “Tell me the truth, do you have feelings for me?”

Pam whispered her answer. She wasn’t sure why she did, maybe it was so her neighbors wouldn’t hear or maybe she didn’t want to hear herself say it.

“Yes.”

“Do you see a future with me?”

Whispering again, this time looking directly at his chest with tears threatening to fall from her eyes again, “Yes.”

Jim began to whisper as he leaned in low towards her, “Do you love me?”

Pam whispered even softer now, looking into his eyes, “Yes, Jim.”

Jim lowered his mouth to her cheek and kissed her lightly. She leaned into his kiss to feel his lips linger there. Pam didn’t know what to do next. She didn’t want to rush anything with Jim, she wanted to savor it. They had plenty of time to get to know each other more intimately. Pam put her head on his shoulder. She let her tears fall on Jim’s nylon jacket. He felt her sobs and wrapped his right arm around her back and rubbed her tenderly. They stood there for several moments waiting for the next move. Pam pulled out from their embrace and rubbed her eyes.

“I just need to tell you how completely sorry I am for letting you walk out last time.”

“Don’t say that. That was my decision. I could’ve stayed.”

“Well, can you stay now?”

“For however long you like.”

Pam smiled at Jim. He grabbed her hand and they proceeded the rest of the way towards Pam’s door. As Pam opened it she turned to look at Jim.

“I hope you are ready for the best chick-flick movie night in the world!”

“Oh trust me, my life is a chick flick. I was born for this.”

Pam and Jim laughed. Pam then turned the doorknob and lead him into her apartment. Before they unlocked hands Jim tugged on her hand for her to turn around. Pam looked at him with a smile.

“Just one question- are we together now?”

“I guess we are.”

“Since we are dating, can I give you our first, real kiss as a couple?”

Pam turned all the way around to face him again and nodded.

“Please do.”

Jim then put his hand behind her head and leaned in for the kiss. Pam wrapped her arms around him and held on tight. The kiss was just like the first but with even more emotion, passion, and feeling. Pam’s knees went weak and Jim held her close. She felt all the electricity in the room surge between the two of them. Her heart raced and felt his hands get hot. Soon, they broke apart knowing that they were very happy to be together. Pam got on the tips of her toes for another passionate kiss but Jim gave her a quick peck.

“What was that for?” Pam asked.

“That’s all you get. This is only our first date. I’m not a hussy.”

They both laughed. They hugged and then gathered up their things they needed for a good night of movie watching. They started out sitting on the couch together as they watched Princess Bride. Soon, they were holding hands, then leaning on each other, and lastly Pam was leaning against Jim’s chest as his right arm gently draped across her side and his left hand resting on her leg. They fell asleep and woke the next morning in the same position.

Pam and Jim both agreed that it was the best Valentines Day they’ve ever had.

 

The End.

Chapter End Notes:
Please let me know your thoughts. I would appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time out to read!


BeckySue is the author of 11 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 5 members. Members who liked Sweet Revenge also liked 1961 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans